New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Nine Swords [IC]

The bugbear does his best to dodge Four's dizzying series of blows, but several of them connect just the same. He dashes back out of reach with a growl and stands still for an instant, eyes darting around to judge openings and distances, then launches himself into another phenomenal leap. He jumps straight over Four's head, lashing his flails back and forth as he passes over the warforged, then lands in a somersault and spins back to face his opponent. The first hit is parried (and riposted) easily, but his last strikes Four in the chest and staggers him, causing Kamate to fall from his grasp to plant itself point-down and quivering in the well-manicured grass of the training area.

Khach didn't make it through that assault unscathed either, thanks to Four's quick reflexes; you all can see several bruises on his arms where the flat of Kamate's blade struck him, and he is breathing heavily after the exchange. "My, my. It looks like the score is Iron Heart two, Tiger--" Master Dagor taunts into the momentary break in the action, before Master Khach cuts him off: "Ha. Ha. Ha again. You're just upset that he stands a chance against me. Unlike a certain Iron Heart master I could name."

Spoiler
    Show
    Flail: (1d20+29)[41]; Damage: (1d10+20)[26] nonlethal and 1 Con; Crit Confirm if necessary: (1d20+29)[46]
    --If the attack hits, save to avoid being stunned for 1 round: Four's Fort (1d20+15)[18] vs. DC 21

EDIT: Parried with Wall of Blades

Flail: (1d20+29)[48]; Damage: (1d10+20)[29] nonlethal and 1 Con; Crit Confirm if necessary: (1d20+29)[33]
    --If the attack hits, save to avoid being stunned for 1 round: Four's Fort (1d20+15)[21] vs. DC 21

Flail: (1d20+29)[40]; Damage: (1d10+20)[25] nonlethal plus (10d6)[41] nonlethal and 1 Con; Crit Confirm if necessary: (1d20+29)[44]
    --If the attack hits, save to avoid being stunned for 1 round: Four's Fort (1d20+15)[29] vs. Khach's Jump (1d20+27)[39]

Khach initiated Dancing Mongoose and Swooping Dragon Strike.

EDIT: Since Four is stunned for a round, Khach is up next; his next actions will be up in a minute.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-12-23 at 02:09 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Khach notices that Four isn't pressing the assault and smiles, partly in triumph and partly in relief. Ducking low, he runs at Four in a corkscrewing motion, approaching from the side and bringing both flails up to aim for the warforged's head. One flail smacks him in the neck while the other barely misses his face, a very close call. His attack done, the Tiger Claw Master continues his loping run and leaps over the line of goblinoids.

His denial comes before Master Dagor can even open his mouth: "You never defined 'uncivilized,' and that sure as the Hells wasn't anything like wrestling!" The bugbear Iron Heart Master looks like he just bit into a sour fruit, but he doesn't contradict his fellow Master. "Well then. I suppose you can't object to this, then. Jakkur, Palaan, you're his seconds! The rest of you, open ranks!" The goblinoids nearest Khach step out of their positions, leaving a hole in the line, and two others step forward to assume an offensive posture. "What--!?" cries Khach. "That isn't--!"

Dagor turns to the rest of you and continues, "Khach reserved the right to call for seconds to enter the duel. The first of you to step out of line may become your Master's second and join the duel."
    "I didn't!"
    "You did."
    "I didn't get to finish my--!"
    "You were going to ask for that."
    "No I--!"
    "Uncivilized."
    "But--!"
    "Are you saying two of your students can't stand up to one of them?"
    "...Fine."

Khach looks between Four and the rest of you and shifts into a more defensive posture, looking peeved at the change in plans.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flail: (1d20+29)[32] vs. [flat-footed - 2]; Damage: (1d10+20)[21] nonlethal
    --If the attack hits, Fort save to avoid being blinded: (1d20+15)[26] vs. DC 21

One of you (whoever posts first) is part of the duel now. This could get interesting.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-12-23 at 02:11 AM.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Map--Round 2

Show

<Snip>

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

The impact of the massive swooping leap rocks 4 for a fraction of escond leaving a hole for a second in his defensive posture. The impact of a sedon flail, each punctated by a loss of vitailty shakes him loose. Red eyes glare at the vile goblin as he darts after him, covering at least 10ft in mere seconds before leaping up spinning up attempting to "finish him".

Spoiler
    Show

Ouch that swoppingd dragon strike hurt!
    Move after him, activate the Wand of dimension strike (1d20+12)[21]
    - If it succeeds power for 4 initiating Finising move

Robilars stance of absolute steel

Attack roll (1d20+23)[27] touch (or 27 if not power attacking)
    Damage (1d10+26)[28]
    plus finishing move (6d6)[20] extra if he's at >50% hp
    plus finishing move (14d6)[44] extra if he's at <50% hp
    - After ~6hits I'm hoping he's at <50!

Robilars as needed for this round
    (assuming these are touch attacks with PA for 4)
    (1d20+28)[35] Damage (1d10+26)[32]
    (1d20+28)[41] Damage (1d10+26)[34]
    (1d20+28)[35] Damage (1d10+26)[28]
    (1d20+28)[32] Damage (1d10+26)[30]

95 nonlethal, 2 Con taken so far
    Last edited by DrK; 2012-12-23 at 02:24 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Koan had his arms folded across his chest, smirking slightly at the chest-pounding and bravado and "my sword's bigger" one-upmanship that seemed so prevalent in these troubled times. Hard to imagine he had once been just like them.

"Let us know if you need a hand there buddy." the Master of Spring chided Four. "Looks like you got this though..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-12-23 at 03:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Belcor looks to Koan as he speaks, he had thought that the newest member of their group should fight, to earn his place among the four of them. However it seemed that Koan had other ideas, so Belcor stepped forward. His hand already in place on Clarity as he draws the blade. His thoughts centered on taking down the seconds quickly as to purge them from the battle with the opposing master, and seeing as how one of them was near him, Belcor readied himself to close the distance with the young adept.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if I should roll initiative or not for this. Assuming I should,
    (1d20+7)[15]

And as said, my intent is to move at the adept closet to Belcor already.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Abd nearly stepped forward himself, but stopped himself, this was not his fight, and his style would not excel here, not nearly as much as the Mountain or the Diamond mind of Belcor. He would let either of them take the challenge.

Anxious to see the fight end, he waited to see what would happen and was relieved when Belcor took a step forward announcing his participation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

The Tiger Claw Master's eyes widen as Four falls towards him and he barely gets his flails up in time to block Kamate, crossing them in front of his face to catch the blade a few inches from his nose. "Nice try," he grunts as he shoves the sword back and prepares to counterattack, "but I'm the only master of dealing death from above around here. Speaking of which...." Khach falls into a crouch, flails at the ready, and then leaps up into the air and over the Master of Autumn, once more swinging both weapons side to side as he passes overhead.

He once again recovers with a somersault roll, landing in the gap in the hobgoblin ranks; as before, Four's return strike catches the Tiger Claw Master just as he lands, this time in the side. The two hobgoblins that have become his seconds move towards him, but Belcor steps forward to interpose himself between the Master and the adepts. Khach looks up at Belcor, then back at Four, then pivots to his left; one step, two steps, and a leap, and suddenly he's standing on the wall, leering down at everyone.

"CHEATING!"
    "No boundaries!"
    "You have to come down sometime."
    "This is true."
    "Any day now."
    "Indeed...but it's currently nighttime."
    "Damn you."
    "You first."

Spoiler
    Show
    Flail: (1d20+21)[34] vs. flat-footed; Damage: (1d10+15)[20] nonlethal plus (4d6)[14] nonlethal; Crit Confirm: (1d20+21)[32] vs. flat-footed

EDIT: The threat is a confirmed crit, so Four takes 54 nonlethal

Khach used Death From Above.

Belcor and Four, post away. Order of resolution is now Belcor -> Hobgoblins -> Four -> Khach, since Belcor came in at the bottom of this round.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-12-28 at 02:31 PM.

Show

<Snip>

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Map--Round 3

Show

<Snip>

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Belcor while not a fan of the positioning thus far, decides that he should be able to quickly take down the man adept directly before him as long as he lands a solid hit. A single step forward puts him close enough, and with a quick and poised strike, Clarity surges forward at it's target.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright let's see what the dice have in store for me.
    Greater Insightful Strike

Attack (1d20+23)[28]
    Damage Taking 10 for a total of 75 damage

While Belcor makes his own attack externally, internally he consults his armor for any knowledge it may have of the Talon Enclave and the men that claim to be masters here.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge History on Talon Enclave (1d20+18)[23]
    Knowledge History on the master fighting (1d20+18)[22]
    Knowledge History on the other master that is bickering (1d20+18)[23]

DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Koan looked on with interest and amusement at the squabble. Of course he noticed the looks of his new coterie...they still saw him as an outsider, not yet proven. That suited Koan just fine; he knew his time to be tested would come soon enough, and when it did there would be no question of his worth. For now the Mountain Glacier wore his mantle well, because somebody had to keep a cool head around so much hot air.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblin facing Belcor lifts his shield and spear warily to defend himself against this new threat. It doesn't help, though, as Supernal Clarity punches right through the wooden shield and continues in a perfectly straight line to smash the hobgoblin's nose in with its hilt. The adept collapses backwards with a grunt of surprise, unconscious before he hits the ground. Dagor crosses his arms and smiles wryly up at the other Master. "Someone hasn't done a good job of training his students." "Oh, I've done a fine job, they just picked someone who's too good. Now who's cheating?" "Still you, I'm afraid."

Belcor
    Spoiler
    Show
    A cool, collected voice sounds in your mind to explain what it knows of Talon Enclave and its Masters.

Talon Enclave
    The Talon Enclave was founded almost two decades before the Temple of the Nine Swords and was one of the smaller temples whose initiates were invited to join the Temple but declined, deciding to stick to their own ways.

It was created by merging two smaller schools known as the Obsidian Fang and Steel Raptor temples who had both relocated to the Ironwood Forest--the former in an attempt to swell their numbers by teaching warriors of the native tribes, the latter due to philosophical differences with the main Iron Heart temple of Ur-Thaldaar--and were competing over territory. It was eventually decided that they should combine their forces for reasons both external (larger numbers would help against the natives, who weren't really happy to see them) and internal (having another discipline to practice against would keep each temple innovating and improving).

While their internal politics and organization aren't really known, as the last time anyone contacted them in an official capacity was when Reshar originally approached them to ask if they wanted to join the initiative that would become his Temple just as they were consolidating. However, from what you've observed today, the two factions' original status as rivals never went away and has in fact intensified over the years. If there are any adept here who study both disciplines, they're likely rivals of both faction as well.

Master Khach of Tiger Claw

Master Khach, as you've seen, is an excellent showman. The original founder of the Obsidian Fang school, Khach Tuugal emphasizes the jumping and whirling of Tiger Claw for the intimidation factor over its ferocity and fury in his style, and teaches his students the same. He disdains formal duels and discipline and encourages a "survival of the fittest" approach to rank advancement, very similar to the Unconquered Sun way of doing things.

Master Dagor of Iron Heart

You don't recall much about Master Dagor Thaan, as he wasn't the original founder of the Steel Raptors and must have replaced the founder at some point. From what you've seen, he takes a more Four Seasons approach to training his students, promoting discipline and teamwork as befits Iron Heart. He either has a particular dislike for Master Khach or is just generally sarcastic and insulting to everyone, you're not quite sure which, but given the way Khach reacts to the taunting it's probably the former.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-12-29 at 11:06 PM.

Show

<Snip>

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Four turns to face the goblin standing high upon the wall and waits patiently. Focusing his mind he spins and stretches slightly walking 10ft to the left and waiting...

Spoiler
    Show

Move 10ft to the left and refresh my moves
    In Robilar's steel stance (Current AC39)

Redo-moves
    Wall of Blades, Manticore Parry, Adamantine Hurricane, Finishing Move, Lightning Recovery, Iron Heart Focus

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking Belcor to be vulnerable after dispatching his comrade, the second hobgoblin hustles closer and strikes out at Belcor, first thrusting with his spear--which he's holding backwards so that his attack is made with the blunt, relatively harmless haft--and then whirling his shield around as a bludgeon. Belcor ducks fluidly under the shield, but gets a nice solid thunk to the chest from the spear. The hobgoblin's doglike ears perk up as his strike connects, and a few whoops and cheers come from the others behind him; he obviously wasn't expecting to hit the Master of Winter, who so easily dispatched his partner, so he might just have a chance at this after all!

Master Khach watches Four for a few moments, tapping his foot impatiently on the stone wall. Then he growls "Well, if you aren't going to try to come up here and make things fun...." and dives down, recovering with a roll and dashing past the Master of Autumn, lashing out with a flail in a bounding attack as he rushes by. The flail almost connects, once again uncomfortably close to the warforged's head before it is deflected off the flat of Kamate's blade, and Four's counter-blow narrowly misses the Tiger Fang Master in turn. "Gods below, stop doing that!" snarls Khach from a comfortable distance away. "Trading blows like that is...is fighting fair! I hate that!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacks vs. Belcor
    Spear: (1d20+18)[36]; Damage: (1d6+14)[16] nonlethal
    Shield: (1d20+18)[33]; Damage: (1d4+11)[12] nonlethal

Attack vs. Four
    Flail: (1d20+29)[42]; Damage: (1d10+20)[29] nonlethal and 1 Con; Crit Confirm if necessary: (1d20+29)[47]
    --If the attack hits, save to avoid being blinded: Four's Fort (1d20+15)[26] vs. DC 21
    EDIT: Four uses Wall of Blades it's super effective!

Four's counterattack: (1d20+28)[33]; Damage: (1d10+26)[28]
    EDIT: Should be +5 higher, still misses.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-01-10 at 05:03 PM.

Show

<Snip>

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Map--Round 4

Show

<Snip>

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

The other adept had been allowed to hit him, Belcor knew that he could have parried the blow, but felt he should at least let the boy feel like he had a chance. Now it was time to remove that chance however. Belcor's training allowed him to find the adept's weak spots and and now Belcor took advantage of said weak spots with another common attack of his training.

Spoiler
    Show

Ruby Nightmare Blade
    Concentration (1d20+65)[83]
    Attack (1d20+22)[38]
    Damage (1d6+15)[21] x2
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Parrying the blow at the last second Four looks at the hobgoblin surprised at the pounding that the greenskin has taken without falling. Not many could have taken as many blows without falling!

Four doesn't care as he races silently towards the greenskin. Only the crunching of the grass and stones underneath the massive vanguard treads before he leaps skywards bringing Kamate down in a brutal arc...

Spoiler
    Show

AC 39 Vs the goblin
    Move and Finishing Move (1d20+27)[37]
    -- Damage (1d10+20)[24] + (14d6)[50]
    -- Assuming he's at <50% hitpoints

Any AoO as necessary
    Number 1 (1d20+32)[40] Damage (1d10+25)[34]
    Number 2 (1d20+32)[43] Damage (1d10+25)[31]
    Number 3 (1d20+32)[37] Damage (1d10+25)[35]

Manticore Parry against the first attack (1d20+31)[35]

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

The perfectly-timed strike by the Master of Winter takes the adept in the throat, hard enough to drop the surprised goblinoid on his rear in pain but not hard enough to do serious damage. The watching adepts send up a cry louder than they did for their comrade, and a few whistle loudly in appreciation. The adept, on the ground with hands pressed against his throat, glares at them for cheering for the outsiders...but it doesn't matter, he's definitely out of the fight and no amount of cheering for either side will help with that.

Several yards away, two crossed flails once again stop Kamate an inch or two away from the Tiger Claw Master's face. "How...are you still...going?" he grunts as he forces the Master of Autumn's blade away and retreats a step. "Perhaps challenging the heavily-armored golem who doesn't have vulnerable pressure points and can counter your tricky head-swipes wasn't the brightest idea, hmm?" taunts Master Dagor from near the gate. "Good point," muses Master Khach, and he leaps over Four's head...not to strike him from above, this time, but to charge Belcor.

Khach swings low with both flails at once, then swings high and mid with either flail individually; Supernal Clarity easily parries the strikes aimed at Belcor's thigh and neck, but the blow aimed at his midsection connects hard enough to knock the wind out of him. He recovers easily, though, and the goblinoid looks disappointed that he isn't doubled over in pain or at least breathing heavily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flail: (1d20+28)[32]; Damage: (1d10+15)[19] nonlethal and 1 Con; Crit Confirm if necessary: (1d20+28)[31]
    --If the attack hits, Belcor takes (1d8)[7] Dex damage and a -10 foot penalty to speed for 1 minute; a Fort save ((1d20+15)[19] vs. DC 25) halves the damage and the penalty.

Flail: (1d20+28)[31]; Damage: (1d10+15)[20] nonlethal and 1 Con; Crit Confirm if necessary: (1d20+28)[47]
    --If the attack hits, Belcor must make a Fort save ((1d20+15)[26] vs. DC 21) or be stunned for 1 round and then nauseated for 1 round.

Flail: (1d20+28)[44]; Damage: (1d10+15)[25] nonlethal and 1 Con; Crit Confirm if necessary: (1d20+28)[33]
    --If the attack hits, Belcor must make a Fort save ((1d20+15)[27] vs. DC 21) or be stunned for 1 round and then nauseated for 1 round.

Khach initiated Hamstring Attack and then Dancing Mongoose.

"Looks to me like he just violated the spirit of the duel by switching opponents." Dagor glances sideways at Abd and Koan. "Don't you think so? I think so." Khach doesn't take his attention off Belcor to glare at Dagor, but he groans in frustration. "Damn it, Dagor! You said--!" "That's right! Time to liven things up once again!"

At the Iron Heart Master's gesture, four more goblinoids step out of formation and hustle toward Four and Belcor. He turns to Abd and Koan and waves toward Khach with a flourish. "One of you gentlemen may join the duel. Enjoy!"
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-01-13 at 08:58 PM.

Show

<Snip>

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Map--Round 5

Show

<Snip>

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well that was a good try, but now let us see how you fare against my own strike. Prepare yourself."

As already said, Belcor strikes with his own blade, a single precise stab, a valued and difficult strike for anyone to ever learn, let alone use.

Spoiler
    Show

Diamond Nightmare Blade
    Con check (1d20+65)[84]
    Attack (1d20+23)[36]
    Damage (1d6+16)[22] Damage is 4x
    Critical threat on a 15 or higher, Confirm roll if needed (1d20+16)[33]
    Damage would be 5x if critical.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

The golem looks about as the goblin flees and lesser minions move to surround him. Flipping sideways he rolls rapidly leaping up in a brutal spinning arc of steel.

Spoiler
    Show

Activate wraithstrike (1d20+12)[26] vs 20
    If that suceeds power attack for 4

Tumble to beside the other master
    Adamantine hurricane where I can get khach plus 2 minions

Vs khach touch attacks
    Attack (1d20+25)[40] damage (1d10+26)[32]
    Attack (1d20+25)[38] damage (1d10+26)[33]

Vs minion 1 touch attacks
    Attack (1d20+25)[27] damage (1d10+26)[30]
    Attack (1d20+25)[35] damage (1d10+26)[31]

Vs minion 2 touch attacks
    Attack (1d20+25)[29] damage (1d10+26)[29]
    Attack (1d20+25)[40] damage (1d10+26)[28]

Standing in robilars steel stance. AC 39.
    Gambit aoo (still touch)
    Attack (1d20+28)[44] damage (1d10+29)[38]
    Attack (1d20+28)[38] damage (1d10+29)[30]
    Attack (1d20+28)[31] damage (1d10+29)[30]
    Attack (1d20+28)[40] damage (1d10+29)[31]
    Attack (1d20+28)[45] damage (1d10+29)[38]

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

The hapless hobgoblins joining the duel have no defense against the Master of Autumn's blinding speed, and they haven't even fully settled into a ready stance before the flat of Kamate's blade sends the two of them flying. It also leaves several massive bruises on Master Khach, who isn't looking happy about being stuck between the two other Masters.

"Good try?" the Tiger Claw Master mocks Belcor, glancing quickly at him while he keeps his eyes and his guard on Four. "I've held off your partner this long, I doubt you can--!"

Thud.

Belcor knocks Master Khach's lights out like a candle in a hurricane and he hits the ground hard, many spidery cracks in his armor right in the center of his torso. His flails fall from his nerveless fingers and bounce off into the grass. It does not do to underestimate a Master of the Diamond Mind, particularly when one is flanked and outnumbered. The two remaining hobgoblins quickly drop their weapons and make a sign of surrender; they have no desire to suffer a concussion and several days of splitting headaches like their unfortunate comrades.

"Or...the duel could finish just like that without your help," Master Dagor interjects lamely into the silence following Khach's fall, grinning sheepishly at Abd and Koan, at which point the cheering and booing on the part of the hobgoblins commences; it's easy to tell which hogoblins study which disciplines here based on whether they're complaining about the defeat or taunting their fellows. "All right. All right! SILENCE!" Dagor yells, and the conversation quiets, mostly. "Someone get him a healing potion. And somebody find his flails.

"So, while we're waiting for my colleague to rejoin the land of the living, I believe you mentioned something about the temple you represent?"
    he continues, walking over to join Four and Belcor. "I'm certainly convinced that you might have something worthwhile to say about martial skill after that impressive display."

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

When the invitation was extended towards the remaining two Masters, Koan gave a wily look to Abd. "I believe multiple opponents is a forte of the Desert Wind." and he gestured towarss the ring with a "by-all-means" gesture. This was not the cocky belligerent Koan of the former Temple's legacy.

However, before the Master of Summer could respond, the duel was over.

Picking up Unfettered from where he'd stuck it into the ground, Koan walked over and clucked once in disapproval of the unconscious Kach.

"That's what happens when you pick a fight." he said softly.

The, the Master of Spring lit up with a smile gleaming in his ice-blue eyes. "Master Dagor! Let us discuss such sublime things over some long overdue refreshment. My companions and I have walked for many a day for this august audience..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-01-16 at 12:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Abd watches intently almost forgetting where he was being so embroiled up with the commotion of the fight before him. So much so he missed the invitation to join the fight.

He saw the new participants enter but failed to hear the invitation to join the fray, or at least to him or Koan.

And then he watched as the Mighty Master of Winter cooly dispatched the Whirling master and his flails, sending him slumping to the floor with but an icy stare and a single strike to the chest.

Such power! he though to himself, Remember not to piss him off...

He smiled as he heard Koan acquiesce the fight to him, and for a second he was confused until he realized what had happened, sighing at the missed opportunity he realized it was a moot point as Belcor finished the whole thing succinctly.

He moved to Four and Belcor with a big grin.

"Well fought my Brothers, you both proved your titles this day."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

"I was talking to the two warriors who had proved their skill," says Dagor in response to Koan's suggestion, "not a flatterer who invites himself to a taste of his host's food and drink." His tone is icy, and it seems that he agrees with Khach that actions very decisively speak louder than words. "However..." the Iron Heart Master continues grudgingly, "the evening meal does happen to fall after the last training session of the day, so it would be rude not to invite you to join us when you're here anyway. No sense in talking out here when most of you can't see in the dark and we're putting out the torches soon. Come inside, then."

The warriors fall into formation behind you, two carrying Khach and his flails. You are led to a nearby entrance in the main keep of the Enclave, which opens into a highly-defensible spiral stone staircase that you have to travel down one at a time. The bottom of the staircase opens into a spartan hall that stretches the full length of the keep, full of plain wooden tables that seat about two score warriors each. The vast majority of those present are goblinoids, most of them hobgoblins and bugbears though there are noticeable goblin and forestkith populations, but for the first time you can see non-goblinoids wearing the Enclave uniform--two lizardfolk, a few humans, one raptoran who looks a bit claustrophobic down here, a half dozen orcs, at least eight shifters, a handful of duergar, and maybe a few more at the other end of the hall that you can't make out at the moment.

Perhaps a third of the warriors stand and salute when they see Master Dagor enter, looking questioningly at the four of you, but he just says "Sit down. Finish up. Answers later," and they return to their meals. Another third of them leap to their feet when they see Master Khach being carried in on a tower shield, but Dagor repeats his command and they slowly return to their seats as well. The warriors with you go off to their own meals while Dagor ushers you to an empty table mostly out of earshot of the others.

"I know my fellow Master well, so trust me when I say that as soon as he recovers Khach is going to congratulate you on your skill, make some excuse for his own failings, and say that while the golem's mastery of Iron Heart is quite impressive it proves nothing about the general superiority of Iron Heart over Tiger Claw, in that order, and then take the conversation off in a useless direction." Master Dagor doesn't sound very complementary of his fellow Master, and in fact seems to be enjoying (only slightly, of course) being temporarily in charge. "So why don't you explain what you came here for first, and--hold on, I don't even know who you people are. Skill speaks louder than titles, I know, but that's just ridiculous. So, why don't you explain who you are, where you came from, and then what you came here for first, before we heal up Master Khach, and then we can explain things to him when he wakes up."

Show

<Snip>

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Abd smiles furtively as Koan is verbally rebuked, he seems to have no rest, I must endeavor to become closer to him, perhaps a dual... He thinks to himself as he follows the two victors allowing them to take the lead and speak on their behalf.

He was no orator, he was a Master of the Desert Wind, and that led no credence here and he had no actions to stand upon, he would allow his friends to rest on their laurels and take this moment.

He moved with them and watched with stoic perceptive eyes as he scanned the dining hall, as they moved to the table he waited for the others to sit, sitting after they had done so. He purposefully sat next to Koan and placed his hand on the mans forearm giving him a knowing look.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

"The glacier need prove nothing to the mountain it cuts, nor even make haste for it's victory is inevitable." Koan replied in perfect Goblin to Mater Dagor's sleight, but maintained his silence and ease of manner for the remainder of the journey as they descended to the great hall.

When the Master of Summer caught his eye, the cryptic Koan merely shrugged and whispered, "Goblins will be goblins, which is to say they are sort of like wolves. They'll tear you apart, unless or until you beat them into submission. There are benefits to such hierarchy but it can hardly be considered enlightenment."

He paused, considering the brash and bellicose demeanor of Four, so similar to that of the petulant Kach...the old sparring construct had hardly changed; if anything it had grown more surly over Koan's long absence.

"Ultimate mastery is winning the battle...without ever lifting a blade, wouldn't you say?" he asked, lifting his goblet to his lips.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-01-16 at 06:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

As the hobgoblin falls 4 steps on his chest gently nodding in respect to the Master of the diamond mind. Looking at the flail his eyes narrow, "A foul weapon. One that seeps out one's life force. A cowards weapon."

Lookinga round at Dagor he offers a short salute. "It was inevitable that the Iron Heart would overcome the wild Tiger. My kin - 8 of 9 was the same. Brash and without discipline. When 8 of 9 betrayed us he was sorely pressed after I came close to destroying him."

As they enter the food hall 4 of 9 walking loudly beside the goblin Master he looks about. "I thank you for the offer of food but I neither eat nor drink. I will let my fellow masters explain our need for your service."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Four's wish to not speak much, coupled with them being the only two who took part in the duel, seemed to leave Belcor thrusted into the position of speaking for the group at large.

"I am Belcor, Master of Winter and these are my fellow masters, each of their own season. We have come here from the Temple of the Four Seasons. And to be blunt, we have come here to see if the warriors of the this temple could join ours in an alliance. "
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

"Master of Winter...Diamond Mind...yes, I can see that," Dagor muses. "Desert Wind, Summer...Iron Heart, Spring? no, Stone Dragon...so that would make it...yes, very clever." He chuckles, amused despite himself. "I have to hand it to the Temple of the Nine Swords, they certainly had a way with names, and borrowing that helped us quite a bit even if our philosophies differed. At my old temple, teaching the discipline of 'Iron Heart' at the 'Steel Raptor Temple' meant attracting many more adepts than if we'd stayed with the original Goblin; studying 'Visakh Maar' at 'Ur-Tchakhuur' doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Perhaps we should come up with some new titles..."

The Iron Heart Master waves a hand, dismissing his ramblings. "But all that is beside the point. The point is, you want an alliance. We of the Talon Enclave are no strangers to alliances; when my and Khach's temples found it necessary, we put aside our differences and...ha. Ha ha. No, we very grudgingly agreed to put up with each other, is what we did, but we've stayed together as the Enclave through all the annoyances, at least. Here is the problem." He retrieves a dagger from his belt and carves two symbols into the wooden table between you, one crescent-shaped and one three-pronged. "The Iron Heart side of the Enclave mostly keeps to itself," he explains, pointing at the crescent symbol, "and the Tiger Claw side mostly keeps to itself," he points to the three-pronged one and draws a sharp line separating them.

"There are some who study both," he continues, drawing a line through the barrier between the symbols and scribbling another symbol on top of it, "almost as many now as the Iron Heart or Tiger Claw factions, so we're evenly split. But..." The goblinoid rams his dagger through the new symbol, obliterating it and cracking the table. "...we don't really like that. The very existence of this Enclave is about preserving the old ways, of individual masters teaching their own students, of keeping the disciplines separate so they aren't diluted. Yes, we practice against each other, but that's due to the necessity of an outside perspective to prevent growing stale--we of Iron Heart would do the same thing with Tiger Claw adepts here or mountain warriors back in the Khanate, we don't need or like the Tiger Claw adepts in particular. And here you are," Dagor says with an edge to his voice, "coming here and preaching about having four disciplines in the same Temple. Not only that, but about cooperation between them, which to me says that even though you four are Masters of one discipline, you all teach adepts who study two, three, or four disciplines instead of giving a single discipline the devotion and attention it deserves."

He idly spins his dagger over the two engravings in the table, then stabs through both of them like he did with the third. "That's what allying with your Temple of Four Seasons would mean for us. Everything we have worked for, for many years, gone. Why should we throw away our traditions to join what is essentially the Temple of the Nine Swords resurrected?"
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2016-01-24 at 04:57 PM.

Show

<Snip>