New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Copper8642 View Post
    Have you noticed a tendency for Byzantium to not fall. It doesn't want to fracture in most of my games. That, or it temporarily falls apart and then solidifies.
    Sure, if you start you during a period of Byzantine strength it tends no to lose it and even expands. Start when they've lost anatolia and they don't always recover it and then it'll be the sultanate of rum that you're complaining doesn't collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I hope somebody seriously modifies Railroads to make them historically difficult. I mean, seeing both the Trans-Canada AND the Trans-Siberian by 1948 is a little weird, considering that the Trans-Canada was finished in 1885, and the Trans-Siberian in 1891, roundabouts...
    And when the railroads were built in-game, they would be built everywhere regardless, not just in select few places, like historically. iirc, the US North had 10x as many miles of rail as the US South. This isn't represented in-game.

That's my personal pet-peeve, of course
    A House Divided fixes that sort of, but mainly it just means that you can't build on hills until the tech level advances and that Switzerland has no infrastructure.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

When does the game start and end? ie eu3 goes from 1399 to 1820
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

3. - Top - End - #33

Before I saw this thread I was thinking of posting one myself suggesting a 'pass the save file' succession game

Quote Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
    When does the game start and end? ie eu3 goes from 1399 to 1820
    1066 to 1453, but you can't start after 1337.

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    It's pure George RR Martin, this is
    Among one of my character's heirs as count of naples were a pair of male/female twins and a dwarf
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-02-23 at 03:04 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Before I saw this thread I was thinking of posting one myself suggesting a 'pass the save file' succession game

1066 to 1453, but you can't start after 1337.

Among one of my character's heirs as count of naples were a pair of male/female twins and a dwarf
    Slightly disappointing that the inbred and incestuous nature of medieval Europe, although implied by the massive amount of dwarfs, clubfoots and other freaks of nature in the royal families, isnt't feature more prominently.

I still love the first Medieval: Total War for actually letting me marry my royals to their sisters and daughters if I was desperate enough for an heir to the throne.

The kingdom af Aragon collapsed on itself. Having 4 different heirs (gavelkind succession) and 4 duchies with the kingdom itself spanning half of the Iberian peninsula and Sardinia made for quite a show when King Sancho III died before he managed to set up a survivable situation for his dislikeable heir, Sancho IV.
    The next 20 years or so were total and utter war, ending with Aragon reduced an expanded Duchy of Aragon, ruled by Sancho IV and the Duchy of Barcelona, ruled by someone whose name escapes me but who hated his king with a burning passion. The rest of the duchies had gone independent.

I'm thinking that primogeniture, agnatic succession with High Crown authority is the way to go if you want to build yourself an empire that'll last the years.
    I wonder if I'll be able to manage that in my current game as the county of Montferrato?

By the way, has anyone tried multiplayer? How does it even work?
    Last edited by Driderman; 2012-02-23 at 03:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gavelkind is actually my favorite and I use it most of the time - leave everything to the vassals and keep only 1 county and 1 douchy.

Elective - if you have few vassals or you actually manage to keep a lot of them happy is quite good as well since they'll vote for whoever you voted for.

Seniority - works if you want to keep the lands but keep in mind that chances are you'll always play with the short rule penalty.

Personally I play with low crown autority 1 douchy and 1 county ... and the only enemy that can stop me in the current campaing is HRE simply because I refuse to swap Kingdom of Bulgaria for Byzantine Empire (I can usorp it). With the empire you can keep 4-5 kings all of them happy -> max army -> ... bye bye HRE.

EDIT: Just took Carinthia from HRE (4 counties). NOTHING CAN STOP ME
    Last edited by Hajutze; 2012-02-23 at 05:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

I just united the Duchy of Munster! Huzzah!

There is something annoying, however. One of my vassal's courtier is a Diplomacy wiz, and he has the very ambition "become a chancellor". He isn't employed as such at the moment.

I want to invite him over at my court so I can name him into that position. How can I do so?! He has a dislike for his liege (-12) and likes me quite a lot (+32), and even if I left my Chancellor slot open, he still has the silly "--- has no reason to move"

DUDE, YOU TOTALLY HAVE A REASON! COME HERE!!

7. - Top - End - #37

Is he married yet? Maybe if you give him a wife of your dynasty?

Or use free investure to make him a bishop of a territory you control?

8. - Top - End - #38

Oh my god... I never really realized how twisted and evil this game can be until just now..

After unifying the Duchy of Munster, I started to look around to find where I should expand further. The Duke of Connagh, (duke of 1 province, mwahah) is strugglying with a 600-man rebellion on his lands, so he shan't be a danger for long.

I notice the heir of Leinster, a vassal of Keith, is unmmaried! I happen to hold a very nice daughter to offer him.

It doesn't take me long for this young man to inherit the Earldom of Leinster. But a slight cloud is ahead... I notice his younger brother is next in line for the throne..

Well, I guess this won't be too hard to get rid of him, shan't it? 55 gold down the drain, the young kid died. My daughter's future children's future are secured!!!

But... hmm.. that's interesting. My 58 year old Duke just finished a plot to kill his imprisonned wife (she tried to kill his son and heir 4 times already). So he is currently without a wife... Why not propose to the widowed formerly FemEarl of Leinster, the mother of my son-in-law?

Awww man... this game is funny...
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2012-02-23 at 07:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Oh my god... I never really realized how twisted and evil this game can be until just now..
    My 17 year old younger brother just had my 1 year old son murdered.

Then he died in prison after I asked my liege to arrest him. Oddly my brother had the craven and content traits.

10. - Top - End - #40

Oh man... I just supported a Heir's claim for the Dukedom of Cannagh, and then I married his daughter (2nd to the throne) to my 2nd son. I will then only take an... "accident" for the young brat to give way.

My daughter married to the Earl of Leinstern gave birth to a son and a daughter! My current ruler, who recently sired a son at 65 year old (with his 38-year old woman, the mother of the Earl of Leinsten) decided to bethrode this newborn son to the elder daughter of his own daughter.

So yes. Inbreeding to the hilt. HUZZAHHH!!!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

I had 2 kingdoms. I bethroned my son to the female heir (she was 15y old) of another kingdom. Gave him a kingdom of his own. After 2 years they got a son. And then it got interesting - I killed the wife, my grandson, the neighbout king AND my son and I got myself a new kingdom.

Why did I kill my son and grandson ? - they dared to attack me ... those bastards ...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Welcome to medieval politics.

If you think the game is twisted and evil, just read up on some actual history.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

For those who plan to fight the HRE.

Since 1.03b changes the peace time from 3y to 10y they usually have the time to recover. The way to beat them down is - after you sign peace with them assassinate the current Emperor -> you will be able to attack the new one with no penalty.

The year is 1293 and de jure HRE is 1/2 mine .

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Nobody's tried multiplayer?
    I guess maybe I should ask on the Bay12 forums, those guys are usually pretty interested in games like this too

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

This game sounds interesting, but I've never played anything like it before so is there a demo I could try before sinking 40 bucks into a game I know nothing about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-02-26 at 02:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Or you could simply try the rather sizeable demo (direct link). Pirating a game, especially from a niche publisher, when there is a demo available is inexcusable
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #48

Or you can NOT do the illegal thing, and play the demo.

Edit: Ninja'ed...
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2012-02-25 at 12:08 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #49

If you played other Paradox game in the past, you won't be disappointed with this one. You probably won't waste your money if you do buy.

The demo won't offer you much less than the real game, just less starting option and limited gameplay time. So the Demo is also a good idea

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thanks a lot. And I've stopped pirating games in the last few years, music too... Thanks to steam and youtube (so I can listen to them before buying them) I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

21. - Top - End - #51

Downloading the demo now. I have spent over 700 hours on eu3 but was not a huge fan vic2 or hoi3.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Another heartwarming story from the kingdom of Aragon:

King Sancho decides to marry off his Urraca sister to the king of France and rides off to fight the infidels. King Sancho dies bravely on the field of battle, childless.
    Queen Urraca assumes the throne and marries king Phillip of France patrilinearily, meaning that their union will produce no heirs for my dynasty.
    Unfortunately since the king of Leon had his wife, the only other viable heir to the kingdom of Aragon, imprisoned and killed the only possible heir left is Queen Urraca's brother, the Bishop of Bastrabo.
    Determined to make sure their dynasty prevails Queen Urraca revokes her brother's bisropric and bethrothes him to her own daughter, currently the primary heir of both the kingdoms of France and Aragon.

Now, the only step left to ensure the continuation of the Jimena dynasty is the removel of queen Urracas loving husband, king Phillip. Luckily, the recent England-France Claim war has won France a host of unwilling, former english, vassals that are more than happy to join a plot to king Phillip and he soon shuffles off the mortal coil at the tender age of 28.
    Alas, fate intervenes and queen Urraca gives birth to a son, Henri, shortly after the untimely demise of heir husband, thus providing a Capet dynastic heir to both France and Aragon.
    Selflessly putting her own needs aside for the good of the Jimena family, Queen Urraca quickly arranges a matrilinear marriage to a young Aragonian man mostly renowned for his lustful ways. Soon after she gives birth to a son, Flain.

Flain now stands to inherit the kingdom of Aragon as second in line of succession. The last step to ensure the continuation of the Jimena dynasty is the removel of is the death of the 1 year old prince Henri.

Since his mother must have had very close access to the young prince, I assume the 50 gold fee was to get a hold of some form of untraceable poison. I guess those infidel courtiers at the court of Aragon were good for something after all...

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    Or you could simply try the rather sizeable demo (direct link). Pirating a game, especially from a niche publisher, when there is a demo available is inexcusable
    I'd agree with you, were it not paradox.
    They have a rather unfortunate tendency to sell you rather broken games, and then sell you the fixed version later.

I'm okay with my purchase, though I rather regret not waiting. It's not really worth the current pricetag.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    I'd agree with you, were it not paradox.
    They have a rather unfortunate tendency to sell you rather broken games, and then sell you the fixed version later.

I'm okay with my purchase, though I rather regret not waiting. It's not really worth the current pricetag.
    the game is remarkably stable at the moment. Plus, Paradox never left a game in a broken state. They always added patches over patches to make their game playable and stable.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

The game is remarkably stable when the screen isn't flickering.

And as for your statement that they don't leave games unfinished or broken, we have EU II, Rome, and Victoria II going neener-neener. EU 3 without all the expansions is also rather sorely lacking in polish.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-02-25 at 05:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

The game is remarkably stable when the screen isn't flickering.

And as for your statement that they don't leave games unfinished or broken, we have EU II, Rome, and Victoria II going neener-neener. EU 3 without all the expansions is also rather sorely lacking in polish.
    Found a link which might help you diagnose your screen flickering problem. It might have something to do with a background application.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ostings-so-far

27. - Top - End - #57

EU3 and Victoria II are just fine by my judgement. However, EU3 without expansions does, indeed, suck, but with expansions is a fine game. Victoria II even without expansion (which I don't have) is an amazing game as well.

CKII, from what I've heard, is the best on-release they've had in a LONG time. I don't have it myself because I'm not buying video games until school is out, but yeah.

Edit: While the link DarthMario posted above is for CK1, which is one of the weakest PI games, it's a good place to start for solving the screen-flickering problem.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2012-02-25 at 06:31 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #58

Demo was fun if short. I will be looking into getting this.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Which is this bizarre definition of "broken". All the games that you have named - with the exception of EUII - were released in a very stable state. They were entirely playable. If there was "polish" lacking or gameplay balance issues then they were typically fixed in a series of patches within weeks of release. To claim that any of these games is "broken" is simply wrong; to use this as an excuse to pirate is just disingenuous

This is particularly the case with EUIII: an exceptionally stable release and a marked change from the previous series of bug-ridden games. The vanilla game is a bit bland when compared to its current state - the product of four expansion packs - but one that I still poured hundreds of hours into without complaint. It didn't lacked 'polish', it lacked features that come with multiple expansions

Yet in the weird world of the internet this somehow is essentially the same as being broken. *Shrugs*
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #60

Help!!

My 2nd son, who holds a claim against the Crown of England, and Duke of Norfolk, stupidly surrendered to the King of England in a claim for the throne, even if I had just entered the war against England to seize the Duchy of Lannister.

So now my elder surviving son, who was ready to have a claim on E gland while being King of Ireland, is in prison!!! And off course, because of his claim, there seems to be no way of ransoming him back.

Is there ANY way for me to free him? No secret ops? Can't I hire adventurers?