New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Say, I'm still waiting for my physical game copy so I can pick up where my trial left off, and I was wondering about something: Are the class stories connected in any way? Does it take multiple classes on each side to get a full view of the story and war?
    You probably need to play one character all the way through in both factions to get the full view of the story/war. Playing the mirror class does definitely have some mirroring in the story... especially on Taris & Balmorra. You occasionally run a few quests fixing what your counterpart broke, for lack of a better phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    You mistake me. It's not that they're rude or arrogant which irritates me. It's that in nearly every case, I'm not permitted the scope to act in character, namely to put the speaker in their place, courtesy of force choke.
    You're not going to get an infinte number of choices for how you want to react to everything. While Renegade/Paragon interrupts would have been nice, there's only so many choices they can program in, and they can't have you execute all the quest givers because they're bothering Darth Sociopathus.

Personally, (Sith Warrior spoiler)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to have been able to execute/exile Quinn, but I understand why they won't let you kill one of your own followers... especially the healer.

It may have been nice for them to give you a ton of choices for each character for each personality you'd like to have played out, but that's just not feasable. You don't even get a choice in many MMOs. Even single player games don't often have a huge number of resolutions. Maybe once they can produce a cogent story procedurally without it looking like MadLibs, they can do that... but you're really asking for something you're not going to find anywhere.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    It may have been nice for them to give you a ton of choices for each character for each personality you'd like to have played out, but that's just not feasable. You don't even get a choice in many MMOs. Even single player games don't often have a huge number of resolutions. Maybe once they can produce a cogent story procedurally without it looking like MadLibs, they can do that... but you're really asking for something you're not going to find anywhere.
    Ever hear of Alpha Protocol? During conversations in that game, rather than choosing your character's response you choose the tone of his response, which the other person may respond to in different manners. I find that rather nice, since a lot of times in other games I pick an option only to discover that it's sarcastic when my character says the line, or I pick something I expect to be sarcastic and then it isn't. And even doing it that way, AP has more distinct endings than BG2:ToB (almost said ME3, but more than 1 isn't really achieving much). It also has the benefit of not leading into situations where you repeat sections of the conversation over and over and over.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Planescape: Torment also had a system allowing for lying vs. being truthful in conversations, as well as running the gamut of choices between threats, kindness, insane, etc.

Then again, text is a lot easier to implement than voice acting (although GOOD text is still tricky. There's a reason PST is thought of as highly as it is).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #604

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Ever hear of Alpha Protocol? During conversations in that game, rather than choosing your character's response you choose the tone of his response, which the other person may respond to in different manners. I find that rather nice, since a lot of times in other games I pick an option only to discover that it's sarcastic when my character says the line, or I pick something I expect to be sarcastic and then it isn't. And even doing it that way, AP has more distinct endings than BG2:ToB (almost said ME3, but more than 1 isn't really achieving much). It also has the benefit of not leading into situations where you repeat sections of the conversation over and over and over.
    You still had only three or four different options for tones with Alpha Protocol off of the conversation wheel. I agree that it was nice that you knew whether or not you were going to be beliggerant or not, but ultimately, it didn't have multitudes of variations, nor could you go off script with Thorton.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Firbolg in the Playground

Meh. I've said everything relevant I have to say regarding voice acting and it's impact in the game. Market Analysts who typically know jack and squat about games have little bearing as far as I'm concerned. It's not like the stock market where an article like this could cause the price of gold to drop.

If you have something else you would like to discuss, there's no reason you can't bring it up. Nothing is stopping you.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

With regards to VA work, it does depend a lot on the person doing the work. I know hearing the badass voice of Simon Templeman makes me tingle in happy places, especially if he's voicing an evil character.

To derail slightly - my main character got a Legacy Weapon Construction kit in the mail but no instructions on how to use it. Any ideas?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    To derail slightly - my main character got a Legacy Weapon Construction kit in the mail but no instructions on how to use it. Any ideas?
    Haven't done it myself, but from what I understand: Go to Drummond Kaas/Coruscant (whichever applies to you) and there should be a vendor there where you turn it in (sorry, I don't know where, but I'm guessing with all the other vendors and the GTN).

Note that the resulting weapon you get is a level 14 weapon for whichever AC turns it in, so turn it in with a low level character, so you can actually use it.

8. - Top - End - #608

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    From what I understand, You trade those in at the new legacy vendors at Droman Kass (for imperials, Coruscant for republic I guess). Also you can get other legacy kits from Fleet Commendation trad-ins vendor. (possibly other sources, but that was one that I saw for myself)

edit: ninja'd
    supposedly legacy weapons and items are "bind to account", so I guess you can sent it to any of your characters by mail.
    Last edited by Kairaven; 2012-04-20 at 11:12 AM.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

9. - Top - End - #609
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    From what I understand, You trade those in at the new legacy vendors at Droman Kass (for imperials, Coruscant for republic I guess). Also you can get other legacy kits from Fleet Commendation trad-ins vendor. (possibly other sources, but that was one that I saw for myself)

edit: ninja'd
    supposedly legacy weapons and items are "bind to account", so I guess you can sent it to any of your characters by mail.
    Though you can only exchange such a kit for the base-gear item of the class you're trading it in on, apparently - you can't get a lightsaber as an Agent, or at least I couldn't

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The construction kits are worthless anyway. You get a lowbie weapon you'll outlevel in about an hour of play. Only the orange legacy gear sets are even vaguely worth while.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    You still had only three or four different options for tones with Alpha Protocol off of the conversation wheel. I agree that it was nice that you knew whether or not you were going to be beliggerant or not, but ultimately, it didn't have multitudes of variations, nor could you go off script with Thorton.
    Are you trying to imply that you can go off script in TOR, or ME, or any other computer game?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Barbarian in the Playground

The construction kits are worthless anyway. You get a lowbie weapon you'll outlevel in about an hour of play. Only the orange legacy gear sets are even vaguely worth while.
    You're a downer. I'm calling you Deputy Downer from now on.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_Shadowblade View Post
    You're a downer. I'm calling you Deputy Downer from now on.
    Okay, Donna, but only as long as you bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Now Dragon Age II is nice because it does both: The dialogue wheel has both preview lines for what you're going to say (like ME and SW:TOR) and icons indicating the tone of the response. Protip: The "witty"/sarcastic lines are almost always the best ones.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #615

Okay, Donna, but only as long as you bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land.
    Hooray, someone who got that reference!

Side note: I've got the Containment Officer title!
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #616

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Now Dragon Age II is nice because it does both: The dialogue wheel has both preview lines for what you're going to say (like ME and SW:TOR) and icons indicating the tone of the response. Protip: The "witty"/sarcastic lines are almost always the best ones.
    I play an Inquisitor. Saying to choose the "witty"/sarcastic lines doesn't narrow your choices.
    At all.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I play an Inquisitor. Saying to choose the "witty"/sarcastic lines doesn't narrow your choices.
    At all.
    He meant in DA2 (theres a purple drama mask that shows for witty/sarcastic lines)
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-04-20 at 09:02 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, but in DA2 you have to put up with what is quite possibly the most hideous game art that's ever made it into a live product.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #619

Chimera

I'll quite like the look of DA2 ... in fact I prefer it over Mass Effect 2, where so many characters sit right in the uncanny valley.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Not really, if we're being honest. Alpha Protocol essentially has three endings that all play virtually the same with some minor variations, and the last boss being one of two people.

21. - Top - End - #621

Who's got two thumbs and decided to get the offered free month and pet?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Not really, if we're being honest. Alpha Protocol essentially has three endings that all play virtually the same with some minor variations, and the last boss being one of two people.
    If we're being honest, ME3 has one ending and BG2:ToB basically has two endings. So yeah, AP has as many as both of them put together.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Who's got two thumbs and decided to get the offered free month and pet?
    I'll be getting the pet but not the free month (level 49 now, gained two levels off the world event). Of course, it's the pet that's important anyways.

In other missing-it-by-that-much news, since I started the dailies for the world event too late into it it seems that I will be unable to complete the Containment Officer armor set.

Meanwhile, in Inquisitor Land:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I might have missed the boat with Ashara. During the "Familiarity" conversation I picked the first [Flirt] line (the "You are wise for your years" one), but all the others were some combination of out-of-character for me and creeper-tastic, so I didn't pick them. Apparently though, I did have to pick one of them to actually trigger the romance plot at that point. I didn't think much of it at the time because I figured I'd get at least one more chance.

Well, four conversations later and not a single [Flirt] line in sight. And it doesn't help that non-romance Ashara gets the minimum amount of affection off of any gift type that she likes in the first place.

So basically, anyone know if I get another shot later, or have I permanently deprived myself of any and all Ashara action? She's at ~3800 affection right now in case you're wondering.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #624

Are you trying to imply that you can go off script in TOR, or ME, or any other computer game?
    No, quite the opposite in the context of both my reply to you and to the post of mine to which you replied.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Am i correct in assuming that upgrading my graphics card will allow for a higher shader complexity? Might be the microprocessor or something weird like that =/

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If we're being honest, ME3 has one ending and BG2:ToB basically has two endings. So yeah, AP has as many as both of them put together.
    But not more than Jade Empire and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. My point being, that while Alpha Protocol did many things well, ending variety wasn't really one of them.

BioWare Doing "Anything and Everything" to Raise The Old Republic's Concurrent Users Numbers

PC Gamer is offering an interesting article-style interview with BioWare's Daniel Erickson on Star Wars: The Old Republic which tackles some oft-discussed subjects such as the allegedly depopulated servers and declining subscription numbers.

Apparently, while the overall server population hasn't decreased, the peak concurrent players numbers have, and BioWare is doing their best to counter this:

BioWare claim that subscriber numbers haven’t dropped, but concurrent users at peak times have. This, Erickson says, is the reason why players are noticing a lot of ‘light’ server populations – and also why mergers are on the cards, but not a priority. According to Erickson, they’re doing “anything and everything” to bring that concurrent users number up. “Nothing is off the table when it comes to making sure our communities are strong and active on each server.”

Events like the Rakghoul plague outbreak, which ends tomorrow, are one of the ways that BioWare are looking to make SW:TOR an attractive place to return day after day. Erickson wants the game to be “not just a destination to see your friends but a place to log in just to see what’s new.” To that end, more variety in daily quests is also a priority. “Interesting replayable content is the top of the list of design prototypes going on over here.”

It’s important to BioWare that the Rakghoul plague is a one-off. “Events are, by their very nature, transient things that build a sense of history within the game” Erickson explains. “Later you’ll pull out your red rakling pet and say, ‘remember when the rakghoul plague hit.’”
    Last edited by VanBuren; 2012-04-23 at 02:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Apparently, while the overall server population hasn't decreased, the peak concurrent players numbers have, and BioWare is doing their best to counter this:
    It sounds like dodging the issue to me, but it's a GOOD dodging - giving people new reasons to log in will help subscriber numbers as well as concurrent users.

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #628
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

so i finally finished the story line for my operative
    Spoiler
    Show

It is great story line from start to finish. Darth jadus's deception.
    working with the SIS and finding out i been programed with commands by the empire
    subverting a organization that been secretly running the war.
    I like the theme they had running. I regular non force wielder pull into the whims of the jedi/sith conflict. ending with you deciding what to do with a group that sides with the non-force-users.

My character holding the ideals of the empire decide to keep the data away from the sith for their own good. while staying an agent for the empire attempting to make the empire great.

time to make my alliance side character
    who has the best story on that side?

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Trooper starts off strong, but stagnates to some extent during chapter 2 and three, both of which seem to have similar themes and plans.

Jedi Knight has some Mary Sue-ish elements, but also tries to have a wide range of characters and hold true to the films. Probably the closes to the Films and KOTOR of the stories.

Smuggler seems to have a nice variety of characters, although I don't know much about the overall ending here.

Jedi Consular... No idea, here.

In general, as far as act structure goes, Act 1 mainly establishes your character and several important allies. Act 2 sets the stage for Act 3, and Act 3 usually features a major showdown between the player and their Archenemy.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

...And that officially concludes the Rakghoul Plague event. All in all, my haul is:

*Pale Rakling
    *Crimson Rakling
    *Containment Officer Boots, Gloves, Greaves, and Helmet (started doing the event too late to get the last two pieces)
    *Advanced Black-Green Hawkeye Crystal
    *Infected Andronikos Revel Customization
    *Infected Andronikos Revel Customization ()
    *Infected Kira Carsen Customization
    *Infected Theran Cedrax Customization
    *An infection that I'll apparently still have the next time I log in, which will make for a very fun surprise in Fleet.

--------------------------------------

On Ashara Zavros:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have no idea what line I picked in an earlier conversation that I probably shouldn't have, but Ashara seems to have it in her head that I'm one of those Light Side "change the Empire from the inside"-types. Heck, one recent conversation even had her starting off by saying "...but I know that you're an ardent supporter of peace," which of course elicited a nice big "" from me.

Also, I believe it's now been six conversations since "Familiarity" (most recent was the one where she got rejected trying to turn another Jedi to "our" cause) and still no new [Flirt] lines. I'm really starting to think that you only get that one chance to trigger the romance with her.