New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8334849505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 1989
  1. - Top - End - #1711
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Let me start by apologizing if I am asking this in the wrong place.

As a backer, I have access to the "Monster for Every Season". I know I have permission to print them for personal use. Am I allowed to use them on roll20.net as tokens? That would involve me cut/pasting them as png files which I imagine is frowned upon.

2. - Top - End - #1712
    Barbarian in the Playground

Guess what came in the mail today.

Woo! Woo! Woo!

Thanks.

(Shirt with patch pending delivery of the shirt.)
    Last edited by JCarter426; 2014-01-02 at 12:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1713

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    Guess what came in the mail today.

Woo! Woo! Woo!

Thanks.

(Shirt with patch pending delivery of the shirt.)
    Join the club! Patience for the Whole Story means seven new books will adorn my bookshelf!

4. - Top - End - #1714
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

~Cheers~ My Patience Package arrived today! Thanks for all the signed goodies, Giant! I do appreciate them. ~frowns~ Now that means I will have to get the next few books signed. GIANT!!! We will need another Kickstarter drive to get all the other books signed! ~grins and runs~

5. - Top - End - #1715
    Orc in the Playground

A curious question: the Giant's Kickstarter campaign was obviously very successful. In contrast, the Knights of the Dinner Table Kickstarter campaign is struggling to even meet its initial funding goal (possibly spoiling my perfect record of never having backed a Kickstarter campaign that failed). Why such a different result in superficially similar campaigns?

It is certainly the case that the publicity push for the KoDT campaign is mediocre, at best. But it's not as if the Giant was particularly aggressive about publicizing the OOTS Kickstarter campaign either (at least not early on in the campaign; later, of course, the campaign was widely publicized by others, but only after it had accrued quite a lot of pledges already.)

Was it just the pent-up demand from all of us who had been receiving so much from the Giant for free for years? I certainly felt as if I had received much more from the Giant than I had paid for, even though I'd already purchased every single book and the board game.

6. - Top - End - #1716
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Seems pretty obvious to me--the Giant's Kickstarter was offering more of the same, in a way; stuff his fans knew would be good from past experience. That other one appears to be trying to produce something which is completely different from its source material (live action video as opposed to webcomic), and it's entirely probable that the fans of one don't want the other. I doubt I'd be interested in backing a Kickstarter that tried to produce a live-action OotS, for example.

7. - Top - End - #1717
    Titan in the Playground

I can only speak for myself. I contributed to the OotS Kickstarter campaign because I really wanted those books, and I won't contribute to this one because I don't particularly want a Knights of the Dinner Table live-action series.

Also, on the subject of the publicity of the OotS campaign: The publicity was perfect. It was an ad on this site, which therefore reached every single person who reads the Order of the Stick. It was an absolutely perfect targeted campaign.

8. - Top - End - #1718
    Ogre in the Playground

I think there is a fundamental difference in what the Giant did and what KoDT does.

I for example did this for a large part because I simply needed to complete my collection (I started rather late to buy the books, so I missed NCftPB and OtOoPCs), so I grabbed the change to get them. And then I throw some more money at the Giant to get an awesome Avatar ! [Certainly one of the best decisions I did on Kickstarter! (And I was lucky enough to get one in the first place )]

The KoDT is something new: if someone likes the comic, but isn't into Life Action shows, than he might support it, but maybe not. [And I personally have no prior experience with KoDT, it is also possible that Rich has more followers than KoDT has]. But nearly everyone in the OotS KS new pretty much exactly what they will receive - sure, some new stuff is/will be made, but it isn't really something completely different.

If Rich would do a KS for an OotS animated series I'm not sure whether I would back, either. It is possible, but it also depend on other factors (for example how it will be distributed, because I loath DRM). While I know for sure that I would buy a new OotS-book from Rich. Should he do that through KS, I would go to KS. Or preordering it from Ook, like I did with SSaDT. Barring ridiculous international shipping shenanigans: in that case I would wait for my FLGS if possible.

But on more relevant news: It is great to hear that more patience rewards arrive!

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #1719
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    It was an ad on this site, which therefore reached every single person who reads the Order of the Stick.
    I seem to recall that it was only a News post on this site, and it therefore missed all of the people who read the comic without going through the main giantitp.com page first.
    Last edited by Dr. Gamera; 2014-01-27 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.

10. - Top - End - #1720
    Banned

Daemon

How to make a Kickstarter hit a million: the Rich Burlew Method

1. Give people something they want. Rich had numerous complaints about books being out of print. He had an audience and a product which the audience would buy.

2. Don't exclude the rest of your audience. Rich also said he would produce new stories for pledgers. This drew in the people who had all the books.

3. Encourage people to pledge more. Rich always had new stretch goals just waiting for pledgers to try and reach them.

4. Dynamic Advertising. Rich used the OOTS characters interacting with the graph to encourage people to pledge and find out what the story was.

5. Be successful first. Rich had a large fanbase and 8.25 years of experience under his belt. He could assure that he'd have some success.

Unfortunately, Rich made one of the biggest mistakes of a kickstarter.

1. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Rich gave himself far too much work to do and even now just under half the rewards are unfinished, largely because Rich is focusing on new projects like the Calender.

11. - Top - End - #1721

There was also the small item of his thumb, which is Rich's fault only in that no one ever taught him to hold glass in his off hand.

12. - Top - End - #1722

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Unfortunately, Rich made one of the biggest mistakes of a kickstarter.

1. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Rich gave himself far too much work to do and even now just under half the rewards are unfinished, largely because Rich is focusing on new projects like the Calender.
    True, but he's mitigating that by a) communicating with the backers regularly and b) fulfilling as many requests as possible as he goes along.

I ordered the books and a crayon drawing. I got the books, so I'm more than willing to be patient for the drawing. I know Rich will eventually deliver (unlike some other kickstarter projects that I contributed to before OOTS that still haven't delivered and have gone silent).

13. - Top - End - #1723
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    True, but he's mitigating that by a) communicating with the backers regularly and b) fulfilling as many requests as possible as he goes along.

I ordered the books and a crayon drawing. I got the books, so I'm more than willing to be patient for the drawing. I know Rich will eventually deliver (unlike some other kickstarter projects that I contributed to before OOTS that still haven't delivered and have gone silent).
    That is also true, communication with pledgers is another sign of a good kickstarter, although mathematically speaking we will likely have finished the kickstarter by 2016 at the earliest.
    Last edited by Sunken Valley; 2014-01-27 at 04:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1724
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    @RogerDemonblud: I don't think the thumb is as big a problem as everyone says it is. It stopped him working for 3 months but he recovered quickly after that and had enough strength in him to make an entire calender in secret.
    How is anything that stops someone from working their main job for a quarter of a year not severe? Hell, the Giant himself described it as permanently damaged in some way, IIRC. Saying it wasn't a big problem because he made the undoubtably huge effort to continue working and fulfilling pledges as soon as he possibly could is pretty rude.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1725
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    I seem to recall that it was only a News post on this site, and it therefore missed all of the people who read the comic without going through the main giantitp.com page first.
    Didn't miss me.

I don't remember exactly how I heard about it, but it was here, and I go straight to the comic.

16. - Top - End - #1726
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

IIRC there was a banner ad at the bottom of every comic page.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

17. - Top - End - #1727
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    IIRC there was a banner ad at the bottom of every comic page.
    The web archive confirms that you are correct -- but I'm not sure I've ever seen that ad before today. I must have always stopped scrolling before I got close enough to the bottom of the page. For anyone else who missed it, here it is:

18. - Top - End - #1728
    Bugbear in the Playground

Count me among those without a strong interest in a live-action KoDT adaptation. To me, much of what makes KoDT work is reliant on the comic medium -- having the players sit in a certain order to help establish the character dynamics, for example. (DM B.A. is first, then impulsive Bob, with his follower Dave next, then Sara who often objects to Bob and Dave, and finally Brian, who reveals his scheming in the last moment.) A lot of the energy of the comic comes from everyone talking at once, which is easier to represent in a panel than in live action.

Also, the cartoony personalities of some of the characters are well suited by the comic medium, and I'm not sure how much I'd like them if they were live action. My worst fear is that live action Bob would seem like something out of the Big Bang Theory.

Maybe I'm all wrong and the movie would be wonderful. Those are just my first thoughts.

A "20 years of covers" book also seems to be a big part of their campaign. I have little interest in this, too -- many/most of the KoDT covers have been fine for what they are, but not the sort of thing I'd want to gaze at in a book format.

By comparison, the Giant's Kickstarter offered all sorts of stuff I really wanted at a great value. I did relish the opportunity to buy things from the Giant when I had been enjoying his material for free for years. The Kickstarter may have also been helped by the fact that most folks read OotS on the web, so the Kickstarter was just a click away. Also, I think the runaway train phenomenon had a lot to do with the success of the project. There was a lot of enthusiasm to start, which bred more publicity and success, which bred more enthusiasm, etc.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-01-28 at 07:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1729
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm not even sure why people are making this comparison. Lots of Kickstarters have been less successful than OOTS's, and while I guess they're both technically "gaming comics", KoDT is otherwise very different from OOTS.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

20. - Top - End - #1730
    Ogre in the Playground

Knights of the Dinner Table is known only to D&D players. OotS is practically mainstream by comparison.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

21. - Top - End - #1731
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Just curious, but as someone who is a long-time reader but missed the KS, is there any way I can get the 'Monster for every season' pdf's? Or am I just out of luck?

22. - Top - End - #1732
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by madslaust View Post
    Just curious, but as someone who is a long-time reader but missed the KS, is there any way I can get the 'Monster for every season' pdf's? Or am I just out of luck?
    I believe the current speculation (correct me if it's been confirmed) is that this as well as some of the other rewards maybe released at a date down the road, once all the work is completed.

On another topic, has anyone gotten a crayon drawing yet? Or rather has anyone posted their crayon drawings yet?
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2014-02-04 at 11:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1733
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Is Knights of the dinner table the same people who made the fuzzy knights?

I LOVED THE FUZZY KNIGHTS PHOTO COMIC!

24. - Top - End - #1734

The very short answer is no. Very different people entirely.

25. - Top - End - #1735
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Is Knights of the dinner table the same people who made the fuzzy knights?

I LOVED THE FUZZY KNIGHTS PHOTO COMIC!
    Wildly off-topic, but Fuzzy Knights, which started as a tribute to KoDT, ran in print in the KoDT magazine for quite some time, as well as being hosted on the website of the publishers of KoDT.

26. - Top - End - #1736
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    On another topic, has anyone gotten a crayon drawing yet? Or rather has anyone posted their crayon drawings yet?
    no and no, as far as I know, unfortunately.

27. - Top - End - #1737
    Troll in the Playground

My family pledged for a Stick It To Your Family portrait, and got an email maybe three weeks ago saying that the rewards were shipping. We got the box full of swag, but no portrait. We checked the email address we use for Kickstarter, including the spam folder, and it wasn't there. Any suggestions for what we should do about that? We tried contacting Rich through Kickstarter, but that was a couple of weeks ago and we haven't gotten a reply.

Also, does anyone know why, if the portrait wasn't included in the package with all the swag, the swag didn't ship until the portrait was ready? I've been waiting over a year for those Sticky Shtick cards.

Go Tigers!

28. - Top - End - #1738
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Wildly off-topic, but Fuzzy Knights, which started as a tribute to KoDT, ran in print in the KoDT magazine for quite some time, as well as being hosted on the website of the publishers of KoDT.
    I was just wondering. I stumped upon that comic a long time ago. I loved it!

29. - Top - End - #1739
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    My family pledged for a Stick It To Your Family portrait, and got an email maybe three weeks ago saying that the rewards were shipping. We got the box full of swag, but no portrait. We checked the email address we use for Kickstarter, including the spam folder, and it wasn't there. Any suggestions for what we should do about that? We tried contacting Rich through Kickstarter, but that was a couple of weeks ago and we haven't gotten a reply.

Also, does anyone know why, if the portrait wasn't included in the package with all the swag, the swag didn't ship until the portrait was ready? I've been waiting over a year for those Sticky Shtick cards.
    The portrait is digital. At least I haven't received a print version of my Stick it to You with my package (and I don't think others received one). I don't know why Rich decided when to ship the physical stuff, though.

Rich said earlier in this thread that he doesn't check KS messages often, but mostly when he does an update. So I assume he just haven't seen your message yet.

Since the digital portrait rewards aren't completely checked off in the last work-o-meter, I think you are just at the end of the line.

PS: When you finally receive your portrait I would love to showcase it off / share it along with other rewards in this thread: The Order of the Stick

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #1740
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I'll fetch my swag pack tomorrow and haven't heard about the family picture, either.

Anyway, the moment I got it I will PM a sample to Christian for the Reward Collection for sure.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show