New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 21: BLACKJACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Women can drug men just as easily, if not more so because men aren't as often told to expect to be drugged.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's not go into the effects of rape drugs because, IMO, this is getting a little too uncomfortably detailed for a thread like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    "Help one another if your friend is drunk" is not victim blaming.
    It's not even specific to rape. There's a lot of things to protect one another from, from falling asleep in the cold to spending next month's food money to forgetting your phone in stupid places.

That one is just sound advice all around.

@pffh: I'm still not entirely convinced those kind of people aren't just trolls or some kind of escaped cartoon people. There's just... no... logic.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

If it makes the LGBT crew feel any better, these were the same people protesting about the sex scene in Mass Effect 1. I thought it was beautifully and very tastefully done but no no no, the Daily Mail brigade got up in arms about it. That's why when Dragon Age came out and people were getting dismembered and *literally walked around covered in blood*, the "sex scenes" were little more than two people rolling around on the floor in their underwear.

And as that article so neatly puts it - why the hell are you buying your child a 15+ rated game anyway?

I'd better stop here otherwise I'm going to go off on a rather lengthy and profane off-topic rant.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Man. It almost seems like a waste that my sister and I aren't all sorts of non-heteronormative
    Maybe you are you just don't know it because of your upbringing

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    If it makes the LGBT crew feel any better, these were the same people protesting about the sex scene in Mass Effect 1. I thought it was beautifully and very tastefully done but no no no, the Daily Mail brigade got up in arms about it. That's why when Dragon Age came out and people were getting dismembered and *literally walked around covered in blood*, the "sex scenes" were little more than two people rolling around on the floor in their underwear.
    Eugh I hate underwear sex in all media, especially in movies. If the movie is rated high enough to include a sex scene it's okay to show breasts, no ([edit for cobra ] For a given value of no with reasonable error bars) woman has sex with a bra on!

As for the watch out for your buddy thing it is indeed just good advice for men and women. Lots of bad stuff can happen when you're out drinking.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-08 at 07:19 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    no woman has sex with a bra on!
    I can confirm that this is not true. I once dated a girl who preferred keeping her bra on during sex.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

no woman has sex with a bra on!
    You know the bra isn't the biggest problem, right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Firbolg in the Playground

Now this is just from memory but around two years ago I read a study that concluded that around 60% of non-prosecuted (as in those that were settled out of court, withdrawn or the assailant simply not charged with rape) rape cases in the US were female on male (or simply had a female rapist, it's been a while it was either of those).
    Huh. Weird. I've never heard that. Could you try to find the study?

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Can't believe I missed so much stuff I have strong opinions on in the, like, 4 hours I was away! Luckily Nope was here to say what we think.
    I hope I said everything properly. Usually we do this the other way around.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...gainst-BioWare

Murder, torture (physical and psychological), betrayal, lies and greed are apparently okay but gay romance (note no sex just romance) is teh evuls. Not to mention that the game is rated for 16+ and I'm pretty sure those have heard of gay people before.
    What.
    Jude P.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    You know the bra isn't the biggest problem, right?
    It's not? I'VE BEEN LIVING IN A LIE!

*Ahem* Sorry for that but that's usually what is shown when they roll on their back after a roll in the sack since the covers can cover the downstairs parts without it looking out of place but the bra or the suspiciously mismatched cover coverage (On the mans hips but up at the neck for the lady) does look out of place. Well that is unless all women in movies are somehow incredibly ashamed of their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Huh. Weird. I've never heard that. Could you try to find the study?
    I've been trying to but no luck so far so take those numbers with a giant grain of salt since at the moment they come from an internet stranger (me )without citations.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-08 at 07:35 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

8. - Top - End - #908
    Colossus in the Playground

What.
    Eh, it comes up every time an adult-rated game with decent romance options comes out. I think Yahtzee, in particular, had a particularly good response to it in Dragon Age.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

...also, the only time underwear cut-away sex scenes have REALLY bothered me was in ME2 with Tali. I mean, I adore her, but I was hoping to actually see her face at some point during that whole mess. =P
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

10. - Top - End - #910

People in the comments of that article pointed out that you can change the wording in their own form to send your own message to Bioware.
    Jus' sayin.

On the other hand, though... Would they just look at who the emails were all from and think "holy crap there's a lot of people sending this!", or would at least changing the title point out that it's a subversion?
    I don't know... I guess I'll withhold doing it 'til there's some discussion.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    On my way on to campus, I just passed a group of chavs. There was giggling, and as I walked past, I was hailed with "'scuse me, are you a boy or a girl?"

It made me happy
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Lucky you! Whenever my mother told me to smile, she followed it up with "you would look so cute if you smiled, why don't you smile?", and ask me to do a bunch more things related to make-up and fashion, with the obvious but implied subtext of "you don't look cute in your normal state, and you're embarrassing me". She even outright told me "what are people going to think of you? You look like I'm neglecting you!" once. I was wearing normal clothes, no make-up, and didn't put much effort in looking pretty, but far from looking like I suffered from parental negligence.
    *Hugs* My parents always told me that bit when I asked not to get a haircut. Also whenever I got a bad grade or refused to throw away my denim jacket (I like that jacket, dammit!).

(I'm not even going to try and get involved with the current conversation - I have too much of a headache already. :/)
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I remember reading (here, among others) that most rapists tend to think that everyone is a rapist - or would be one if there were no consequences. Kind of like how [insert random political group] tends to think that everyone would hold [insert random political statement] under the right conditions/if they stopped lying to themselves.
    I have no other basis for this, but I can't help but think that some rapists may think that rape is just the natural order of things.

Or, not "rape", but "getting that hot chick drunk enough!" or "not asking because a no would suck" or... blergh.

Or bully. Or murder or harass or...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, that link is very awesome. I'm going to see about spreading that link. I once called people out for rape jokes somewhere and I was told I was too self-righteous or something. But this article expresses things quite nicely.

I don't get what's supposed to be funny about rape, to be honest. I was once shown an animated video parody of something akin to the Scrooge story, in which the fourth wall was broken and the character asked the author why he had to follow the script, and the author was all "Because you were raped by a gorilla" and when the character said that wasn't true, the narrator was all like "I'm the author. I can make it true" and the scene changes to a jungle type of place where the angry character is being raped by a gorilla. This is shown so... disgustingly casual, the gorilla just standing behind the guy, making the motions, while the guy was just complaining at the author and making faces until he agreed to follow the script. It was supposed to be a "funny" thing, and instead, I was disgusted.

I also quite dislike jokes about murder and bullying and harassment and whatnot.

Murder, torture (physical and psychological), betrayal, lies and greed are apparently okay but gay romance (note no sex just romance) is teh evuls. Not to mention that the game is rated for 16+ and I'm pretty sure those have heard of gay people before.
    *facepalm double combo* This is about as stupid as something I was reading earlier where some dude claimed that if women are loud feminists trying to make everyone lesbian and exterminate the human race, instead of being subdued and quiet and man-pleasing and letting men handle all the tough problems... the economic debt was going to increase.

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Eh, it comes up every time an adult-rated game with decent romance options comes out. I think Yahtzee, in particular, had a particularly good response to it in Dragon Age.
    Yeah it happens pretty often. I still go "What." every time though.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, that link is very awesome. I'm going to see about spreading that link. I once called people out for rape jokes somewhere and I was told I was too self-righteous or something. But this article expresses things quite nicely.

I don't get what's supposed to be funny about rape, to be honest. I was once shown an animated video parody of something akin to the Scrooge story, in which the fourth wall was broken and the character asked the author why he had to follow the script, and the author was all "Because you were raped by a gorilla" and when the character said that wasn't true, the narrator was all like "I'm the author. I can make it true" and the scene changes to a jungle type of place where the angry character is being raped by a gorilla. This is shown so... disgustingly casual, the gorilla just standing behind the guy, making the motions, while the guy was just complaining at the author and making faces until he agreed to follow the script. It was supposed to be a "funny" thing, and instead, I was disgusted.
    Also what.

I also quite dislike jokes about murder and bullying and harassment and whatnot.

*facepalm double combo* This is about as stupid as something I was reading earlier where some dude claimed that if women are loud feminists trying to make everyone lesbian and exterminate the human race, instead of being subdued and quiet and man-pleasing and letting men handle all the tough problems... the economic debt was going to increase.
    All the what.
    Jude P.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I use humor as a coping mechanism for things that have gone wrong in my life. Including my sexual assault.

Also, wat. In regards to the last paragraph.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

IMO, you can joke about anything... but not with anyone.

Jokes can be used as a coping mechanism, as a way of raising questions and/or awareness, as a way of challenging set mindsets, etc. There's a ton of ways jokes can help the issue they're about.

But! If you tell heavily triggered or hurtful jokes among strangers, you're a jerk. And some jokes really are stupider than others. Bluewind's tale is a perfect example (it's nothing but a big "haha, emasculating people is funny - also, rape is so trivial, you guys!").

But I do believe that everything can be funny in the right context.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

16. - Top - End - #916

On the other hand, it seems that you can finally have a gay Shepard in Mass Effect 3 (like you were originally supposed to be able to in the first one).

I mean, I like Jack and all (she's hot, terrifying and sympathetic), but I wanted some gay undead-biotic-on-space-assassin romance... >.<
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

4/5 girls' paths done. Oh, Rin. Your path is maddening, and frustrating, and by far the hardest one to work out the right choices for. But it's all worth it in the end

You are a very strange girl, but adorable.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

4/5 girls' paths done. Oh, Rin. Your path is maddening, and frustrating, and by far the hardest one to work out the right choices for. But it's all worth it in the end

Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post

"Is it a sin to grin at Rin, who is sat in a bin, that is made out of tin, that smells like Gin, and think it is win?"

This is a quote from Misha, which justifies (and gives context) to the image I posted earlier, the infamous "Rin-cycle" bin. And that is the last time it will be mentioned.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

Gaaah, I really need to stop reading anything mainstream LGBT related. Had enough horrible comments to drive me into my shell again for a few days. :s
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Gaaah, I really need to stop reading anything mainstream LGBT related. Had enough horrible comments to drive me into my shell again for a few days. :s
    Well how about this?: There's a marriage in my family supported by a law recently passed in the state I reside in that is going to happen very soon.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Dare I ask what development prompted this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Well how about this?: There's a marriage in my family supported by a law recently passed in the state I reside in that is going to happen very soon.
    Yay, that's good news~

Dare I ask what development prompted this?
    The comments on this article in particular. The article was really good and heartfelt, but the comments... (Makes me wonder how many people actually read the article.)
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #924

Yay, that's good news~

The comments on this article in particular. The article was really good and heartfelt, but the comments... (Makes me wonder how many people actually read the article.)
    I'm glad to see several supportive comments, but the negative ones are upsetting.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #925

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's not go into the effects of rape drugs because, IMO, this is getting a little too uncomfortably detailed for a thread like this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Then why did you bring them up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Bringing them up doesn't usually imply that people are going to talk about the effects.

*nips coidzor*
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

27. - Top - End - #927

Dunno if you guys have seen this, but this happens to be my favourite comic strip ever. I actually have it posted sized on my wall. While the comic may I get a bit preachy at times, this is my cheer up medicine.

http://www.viruscomix.com/page528.html
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

The positive ones are great, though.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Because this is an important and complicated topic that's worth discussing, and I hoped to keep everything vague enough for comfort. This is still not the place for it, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Good article, but wasn't the title misleading? She's not becoming a woman, she's ceasing to live as a man, right?

I never read the comments - I have enough dark thoughts as it is...

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not even specific to rape. There's a lot of things to protect one another from, from falling asleep in the cold to spending next month's food money to forgetting your phone in stupid places.

That one is just sound advice all around.
    Exactly, it's not specific to rape, it's just a good idea to keep an eye out for your friends. Its when it becomes, as it so so often does, "well if you went out by yourself, what did you expect?" that it becomes victim-blaming.

I hope I said everything properly. Usually we do this the other way around.
    Of course you did!

IMO, you can joke about anything... but not with anyone.

Jokes can be used as a coping mechanism, as a way of raising questions and/or awareness, as a way of challenging set mindsets, etc. There's a ton of ways jokes can help the issue they're about.

But! If you tell heavily triggered or hurtful jokes among strangers, you're a jerk. And some jokes really are stupider than others. Bluewind's tale is a perfect example (it's nothing but a big "haha, emasculating people is funny - also, rape is so trivial, you guys!").

But I do believe that everything can be funny in the right context.
    I think that's a good rule. I also think there's a difference between <a joke that references, relies on, raises a question about rape> and <a joke in which the punchline is basically "because rape is funny!">. Bluewind's example falls into the latter category.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    Dunno if you guys have seen this, but this happens to be my favourite comic strip ever. I actually have it posted sized on my wall. While the comic may I get a bit preachy at times, this is my cheer up medicine.

http://www.viruscomix.com/page528.html
    I love that one!
    Last edited by KenderWizard; 2012-03-09 at 07:33 AM.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me