New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2439404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons and Dreamboats V: Snakes & Cakes

HeadlessMermaid: Don't be offended, I'm analyzing myself here, not your contribution. Those are beautiful pieces of art, but aside from the first one, I wouldn't use them as character portaits or props for online/PbP roleplaying. I either can't make sense of some stretches of their armor (#4's midriff - is that chain or inscribed plate?), or the armor doesn't make sense at all. #9 is especially amusing, whatwith highlighting the unprotected bits in bright red.
    Hmm, kind of interesting that I value details and realism/practicality over the general impression.

Unrelated, I found something cool. It was labelled "The art of the Theros block gods".
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

#9 isn't as impractical as it might look at a glance. Those "unprotected bits" are narrow enough that they would be *very* difficult to actually hit in a fight.

The thigh regions in particular are protected from the outside, so they could only be effectively hit with either a hew toward the inner thigh or a thrust toward the groin region. Neither of those things are good ideas in a serious duel, since the best-case scenario is a flesh wound that does little to actually disable your opponent and leaves your weapon in a place where you cannot use it to guard against their counterattack.

The forearms are a bit more egregious, but the design does allow some extra flexibility and range of motion in the wrist, which is very useful when wielding an arming sword. Further, unless one is very fond of the vom tag stance or regularly makes heavy hews that cause them to hold their arm horizontally, almost all combat stances would have that particular weak point face the opponent as a narrow, well-protected horizontal band.

In summary, those weak points are far better-protected than they look and highlighting them might actually offer an advantage! They draw the eyes, which means a foe is less likely to focus on the sharp sword she's swinging around, or the fact that she's not wearing a helmet...

On a different note, I have a working knowledge of photoshop, but also a busy schedule. Still, I'll try and mess around with your base picture a bit if I can find the time.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lilapop View Post
    HeadlessMermaid: Don't be offended, I'm analyzing myself here, not your contribution. Those are beautiful pieces of art, but aside from the first one, I wouldn't use them as character portaits or props for online/PbP roleplaying. I either can't make sense of some stretches of their armor (#4's midriff - is that chain or inscribed plate?), or the armor doesn't make sense at all. #9 is especially amusing, whatwith highlighting the unprotected bits in bright red.
    I'm assuming you haven't followed this thread through its previous iterations, where the title or indeed the intent has so often involved the word "cheesecake". There have been so many chainmail bikinis, so many female characters with their tits out for no apparent reason, so many comically enlarged body parts, and so many suits of armor that make no freaking sense any way you look at them (other than "they smoothly lead your gaze to comically enlarged body parts"), that I'm personally feeling perfectly satisfied for tracking down some marginally believable armored ladies.

That said:
    a) RPGs are games of the imagination, and if anyone enjoys imagining chainmail bikinis, or things like the ones I posted, or whatever, good for them.
    b) If you have some handy resources for more realistic armor art, share! I'd love to see it. :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

http://rodmendez.deviantart.com/art/...rior-432264867 check the description for the photos.

Spoiler
    Show
    there could be a girl in there :P

Spoiler
    Show
    That one strikes me more as what D&D calls a breastplate.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Concepts" hits the nail on the head.

More: http://repair-her-armor.tumblr.com/ http://www.reddit.com/r/armoredwomen/

BladeofOblivion: I guess the thigh part kinda plays on the inherent reach issues of attacking the legs. As for lethalty of an attack to that area, I seem to remember that there are some large arteries there, but I have no idea how deep they are hidden.

5. - Top - End - #1445

@Lilapop: Cool pictures! I believe I've seen all of them, here, check my "heavy armor" tag. (Some are more fantasy-oriented, and the collection isn't completely devoid of boobplates, sadly, but most are quite realistic.)

More resources on tumlblr:
    Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor (inactive)
    Women's Armor: Done Right (inactive)
    Lady Warriors Against Poor Armor Choices
    Heroine Images (with commentary)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

BladeofOblivion: I guess the thigh part kinda plays on the inherent reach issues of attacking the legs. As for lethalty of an attack to that area, I seem to remember that there are some large arteries there, but I have no idea how deep they are hidden.
    You're correct here, but said artery is actually set fairly deep, up next to the bone. And you'd have to go through the Sciatic nerve anyway to get at it, which would be... ...bad. But you'd need to hack through a lot of muscle to get that far, and I don't actually think there's a single point on the body anywhere that you could cut through two inches of flesh without causing a permanent, crippling injury. Maybe the buttocks? I dunno.

Nevertheless, any reasonable stance would protect that area well enough to prevent such an injury barring extreme luck or skill on the attacker's part.

I'd pay a tax, but all I have right now would just be reposts.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-04-18 at 08:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If the armor is made for a mounted fighter, then there's absolutely no reason to armor the inner thigh. Even if it's for a foot soldier, the inner thigh is probably the safest area to reduce the armor on, since it's actually fairly hard to attack it without having the wearer at your mercy anyway.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Now with my taxes being payed, do any photoshop wizards frequent this thread? I have a certain picture I'd like to be edited, and I'm not exactly keen on signing up on the WoTC boards to post my request in http://community.wizards.com/forum/4...hreads/1611711.

In any case, on to the request.
    Spoiler: base picture
    Show

In descending order of importance:
    • Change the hair color to black or dark brown.
    • Remove the moustache.
    • Change the secondary weapon's hilt to something cruciform, the weapon to something different or remove it completely - an open scabbard wouldn't be a bad idea.
    • Remove the scabbard on the back (left shoulder, right knee).
    • Change the color of his pants and his brigandine-thingy (the green bits above and below the breastplate) to two different browns.

If no artists are available, bits for the secondary weapon (remember, its kind of a weird angle) wouldn't hurt either.
    Alright, I did what I could with the sidearm. Hopefully this suits your purposes well enough?

Spoiler
    Show

Remember, rehost if you use it.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-04-18 at 09:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Orc in the Playground

Damn, that face looks hilarious without a 'stache. Not exactly what I expected, but thats cool. Seeing them side by side - did you darken the lower lip? Oh, and the weapon is great.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like it's that time of the thread again. In honor in this page's revival of the Most Common Discussion Topic for the umpteenth time, my first submission is:

Dungeons & Dreamboats VI: What is This "Armor" of Which You Speak?
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-04-19 at 02:32 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, kind of interesting that I value details and realism/practicality over the general impression.

Unrelated, I found something cool. It was labelled "The art of the Theros block gods".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also known as The World of Happy Macrophiles.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks a lot for those pictures and I fear that I might have been a little unclear about what I meant with a fallen paladin. I am lookibg for an image tgat would represent one that has not just lost her powers, but really turned to the dark side.
    Last edited by Raunchel; 2014-04-19 at 09:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Damn, that face looks hilarious without a 'stache. Not exactly what I expected, but thats cool. Seeing them side by side - did you darken the lower lip? Oh, and the weapon is great.
    Yyyeah, the face got a little bit messed up when removing the mustache, now that I take a look at the original. The thing is, it's kinda tricky: Sure, you can get rid of the mustache, but what do you put in the void? How do you make an upper lip? How do you make that distinctive fleshy look instead of just brushing in a very light brown and hoping nobody looks at that spot? I'm not a real artist despite having some basic skill in photoshop, so I opted to just use the clone tool and use a patchwork of other faceparts. I also reduced the prominence of his lower lip so that it wouldn't look like he had one lip, which would be weird. It came out a little messy but still recognizably human, so I figured I'd just call it a day.

I like to think that he's looking at some monster with his sword out and going "Uuugh..."

The sidearm was ironically not too hard; I mostly just erased parts of the handguard and cloned in the appropriate things behind it so that it looked more cruciform.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-04-19 at 01:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    You're correct here, but said artery is actually set fairly deep, up next to the bone. And you'd have to go through the Sciatic nerve anyway to get at it, which would be... ...bad. But you'd need to hack through a lot of muscle to get that far, and I don't actually think there's a single point on the body anywhere that you could cut through two inches of flesh without causing a permanent, crippling injury. Maybe the buttocks? I dunno.

Nevertheless, any reasonable stance would protect that area well enough to prevent such an injury barring extreme luck or skill on the attacker's part.

I'd pay a tax, but all I have right now would just be reposts.
    Well, it would be easy to stab that deep. And a rapier or smallsword thrust toward the groin would have a good chance of hitting there. It's also a hard would to treat, since you can only put a tourniquet up so high on the thigh, so the chance of bleeding out is higher than a deep cut lower on the leg.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

15. - Top - End - #1455

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Axe to the face, and the blacksmith hardened the steel too much?
    I've seen a few breaks in action, but never in that pattern. Guess I haven't witnessed the handy work of a REALLY bad smith.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Firbolg in the Playground

A Selection

Female
    Spoiler
    Show

Male
    Spoiler
    Show

Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

17. - Top - End - #1457

ElfRogueGirl

I come to you guys with a request. I need a picture. More specifically I need one of a white haired human female in her mid to lower 20's, the kicker is I don't want her to be too pretty, just you know, somewhat ordinary, or a bit creepy, or something that isn't barbie-dollish (seriously the girl has like 7 charisma).
    Some bonus points would be if she doesn't look like some sort of spellcaster, and even more bonus if she's in something that by D&D standards is light armor and wielding a chain-flail, but that's not very likely at all.
    This is for a Grim Reaper type character (seriously her class is "Grim Reaper") so a somewhat somber atmosphere/feel is appreciated, but not necessary (neither is severe death imagery, she doesn't advertise. :p)

Here's some offerings of my own to make up for this request. ^^;

Spoiler: Girls
    Show

Last edited by NikitaDarkstar; 2014-04-23 at 03:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Orc in the Playground

Nikita: You won't find something that exactly matches your description, but have some bits and base images. http://imgur.com/a/1HdOx

19. - Top - End - #1459

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    I come to you guys with a request. I need a picture. More specifically I need one of a white haired human female in her mid to lower 20's, the kicker is I don't want her to be too pretty, just you know, somewhat ordinary, or a bit creepy, or something that isn't barbie-dollish (seriously the girl has like 7 charisma).
    Some bonus points would be if she doesn't look like some sort of spellcaster, and even more bonus if she's in something that by D&D standards is light armor and wielding a chain-flail, but that's not very likely at all.
    This is for a Grim Reaper type character (seriously her class is "Grim Reaper") so a somewhat somber atmosphere/feel is appreciated, but not necessary (neither is severe death imagery, she doesn't advertise. :p)
    Yeah, I don't have an exact match for that. A portrait might be easier... Here are some approximations:

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1460

I'm looking for a picture of a succubus that looks like a soldier/officer.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    Spoiler: I apologize
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

22. - Top - End - #1462

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Yeah, I don't have an exact match for that. A portrait might be easier... Here are some approximations:
    That 4th and last one are pretty close to what I had in mind actually. Far closer than anything I've managed to dig up on my own anyway. Thank you! :D

23. - Top - End - #1463

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    That 4th and last one are pretty close to what I had in mind actually. Far closer than anything I've managed to dig up on my own anyway. Thank you! :D
    Glad you found something in there. :)

The possibilities are less than endless.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

That's... kinda vague.

Spoiler
    Show

Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Hi all. A roleplay buddy of mine is getting married and for their wedding book I am creating a bride class, a groom class and husband/wife prestige class. However, I still need some nice illustrations. Therefore, I am looking for three pictures: one of a bride, one of a groom and one of a husband and wife. Preferably not drawn in a manga style. Hope anyone can help. Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pribnow View Post
    Hi all. A roleplay buddy of mine is getting married and for their wedding book I am creating a bride class, a groom class and husband/wife prestige class. However, I still need some nice illustrations. Therefore, I am looking for three pictures: one of a bride, one of a groom and one of a husband and wife. Preferably not drawn in a manga style. Hope anyone can help. Thanks!
    Will photos do? Because there's a lot of stock images out there along this line.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, The Insanity is obviously asking for a "sexy cop" with bat wings.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Guys, The Insanity is obviously asking for a "sexy cop" with bat wings.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    Will photos do? Because there's a lot of stock images out there along this line.
    Thanks, but photos is not what I am looking for. I much prefer hand-drawn pictures, because I want a more d&d book feel to it. Also, I am looking for brides/grooms with at least with a weapon/implement in hand.

But if nobody has such pictures, I will settle with a sexy cop with bat wings :P

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Weird request: Anyone have spider or ant based characters? Preferably feminine, but without mammalian features. Armed with a spear or other polearm or unarmed, either way. This is the closest I could find on deviant art, and she's way too busty and her face is too human.

Spoiler: Ant lady
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.