New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Windows/MSN Messenger?

Hi folks!

I've been meaning to get a group response somewhere but it's never even appropriate to the threads I frequent, so I figured I would make my own. Because google searches are inconclusive.

I've been getting official-seeming messages saying "Messenger is going to be discontinued, but you can use your Microsoft account to use Skype now". Which is fine except no one I trust has said anything about acing to stop using messenger, and the sender doesn't seem to connect back to Microsoft. Except, other places I go – my Xbox, my email account – have news blurbs about Skype, with no explicit mention of the switch but a lot of soft selling...

So how about you playground? Are you being forced to move or consolidate? Or is it a weird spam-scam?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Windows/MSN Messenger?

Yeah, I got the same messages. Skype also has an option to sign in using a Messenger account (which works) so it's legit.

I'll miss MSN to be honest, though only for the way it links in with Windows Live Mail, giving me a helpful little alert whenever I get a new email. I'll live without it though.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

It's legitimate. Microsoft is shutting MSN down sometime this year due to a decline in user base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4

As legit as this is, I'm going to assume they'll botch up the shut down and not ACTUALLY succed in shutting down. I'm only switching over to SKYPE when I'm litereally forced to. Because that's the only way I'm ever using Skype.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Hm. Probably more apparent from a computer, then. I haven't updated my Skype app in a while.

Thanks, Diego! And flickerDart and LaZodiac!
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-02-13 at 02:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It's legitimate. Microsoft is shutting MSN down sometime this year due to a decline in user base.
    Or, more likely, because they spent a lot of money purchasing Skype and want to see some return on that investment sometime...

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Or, more likely, because they spent a lot of money purchasing Skype and want to see some return on that investment sometime...
    Skype doesn't make money through text chat, so that's not really a contributing factor.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Skype doesn't make money through text chat, so that's not really a contributing factor.
    Then again, neither does MSN, Skype at least prompts you to spend money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Meh, I been using skype for a few years with podcasting and virtual officeing. So no complaints here.
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I abandoned ship already. I'm just using IRC now. And Facebook when necessary.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    MSN - at least the vanilla client - has image ads in the online users window and text ads under every conversation.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Or most likely, they spent a lot of money purchasing Skype and suddenly have to maintain two different chat service providers, of which only one has additional uses. Shutting down the chat-only service to avoid paying for redundancy makes perfect sense, IMO.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Shutting down the chat-only service to avoid paying for redundancy makes perfect sense, IMO.
    Except Messenger isn't chat-only--you can do voice calls, webcam calls, transfer files...in fact, everything you can do with Skype! What Microsoft paid the money for was all those Skype users, not the actual software.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    I've never been prompted to spend money on Skype and I've used it for voice calls for years.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I've never been prompted to spend money on Skype and I've used it for voice calls for years.
    No but skype has the option to spend money on it, I don't know if you can do other things with skype credits, but one thing it does it let you call actual phone numbers and not just other chat users...

Frankly I dropped MSN and YiM ages back, and AiM always sucked... I use Skype just because I know other gamers on it...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gem_Knight View Post
    No but skype has the option to spend money on it, I don't know if you can do other things with skype credits, but one thing it does it let you call actual phone numbers and not just other chat users...

Frankly I dropped MSN and YiM ages back, and AiM always sucked... I use Skype just because I know other gamers on it...
    I know it does, but it's never said "Hey, spend money!" or anything like that. I dropped MSN a long time ago as well though. No real loss to see it go, a lot better programs are out there.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Really, the only reason I have IM programs at all is because people were getting upset I was PMing them about stuff they felt should be IM'd. And each one had a different system...

Except Messenger isn't chat-only--you can do voice calls, webcam calls, transfer files...in fact, everything you can do with Skype! What Microsoft paid the money for was all those Skype users, not the actual software.
    So when merging, it's probably best to keep the name of the one layfolk know as having bells and whistles. Sounds about right to me.

18. - Top - End - #18

So the date of the forced conversion was pushed back to "April 8th At The Latest"

I'm going to take this as a minor "called it" scenario with the whole "they are actually to incompetent to make this change over happen"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    So the date of the forced conversion was pushed back to "April 8th At The Latest"

I'm going to take this as a minor "called it" scenario with the whole "they are actually to incompetent to make this change over happen"
    Given, pushing deadlines is nothing new, and doesn't mean especially much in and on itself, because if there is but one universal constant, then it's the inability of companies to hold their own deadlines. Since Microsoft in the ideal case could halve the maintenance cost by killing off MSN, and probably won't be far behind in terms of actual costs (their lack of wish to merge them implies an architectural difference great enough to not allow any great degree of synchronisation), I fail to see why they'd ever choose to not go through with it...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Skype to Skype chat is free, If you want group video or a land-line number that is when you begin to spend your 15 every three months (or whatever it is now)
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.