New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Who Wotches the Wotchmen?: A Webcomic Let's Read of The Wotch

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    And I have to admit so far I'm not minding the storylines. I think it's because I have a soft spot for Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. My fear is that since Cerebus Syndrome invariably sets in with these kinds of webcomics, at some point it's going to all go to hell.
    It does.

Also, the art doesn't get better so much as mutate. Even when Ian Samson steps in, he's definitely working at a lower standard than what he normally works at. But, as I've said before, we'll get there when we get there.

Anyway, I need to get some sleep, but before I go, I'd like to make a note that I plan on getting two chapters/parts/whatevers overviewed later. Of course, plans may end up having to be changed if the circumstances likewise alter.
    LGBTitP

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

The wotch is an absolute power fantasy, given to a mind that mainly enjoys chaos. The characters are pastiches of the authors... meaning this is what they'd do if they had no conquenses, but then again the only arch that I found completely enjoyable was the Wotch of Oz arch.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    IShe makes me want to write HP, DF, or Index crossovers - because she breaks all the rules. She would be in Azkaban in minutes, executed in a second, or orbitally nuked in hours. She breaks all the rules that most mages uphold - "Stay secret, stay hidden", "Do not meddle in the affairs of mortals", et cetera.
    I'm going to speak up for a moment to defend them on this point (and only this point).

You're approaching the Wotch from the wrong traditions for this. You want to look at Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, or Sabrina The Teenaged Witch. Sabrina in particular has that sort of "And then I cast a spell on everyone and it all went wonky" attitude that the Wotch has.

The "Stay secret, stay hidden" is the more modern way of dealing with magic, but it's not what the comedies usually did, and most of the time the Wotch thinks it's a comedy.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    You're approaching the Wotch from the wrong traditions for this. You want to look at Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, or Sabrina The Teenaged Witch. Sabrina in particular has that sort of "And then I cast a spell on everyone and it all went wonky" attitude that the Wotch has.
    Don't forget Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if Angry Anne is supposed to be anything. People are in serious denial over there in that town.
    Last edited by MReav; 2012-03-07 at 12:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, this comic. I remember liking it back when I had no taste. The Dark Lord Xaos scenes were painful and cliched even back then, by the way. After I started reading and watching more urban fantasy (especially BtVS), I started to notice how bad the comic was in comparison. Eventually, I was just reading out of habit, until... (spoilers for events several years in the future relative to Rappy)
    Spoiler
    Show
    that arc with the white-haired crazy wizard guy. They had this guy foreshadowed as a major threat years in advance, though all we really learn is that he's "insane" and powerful. The first thing we see of him, he turns a servant into stone for overcooking his eggs, then tells her replacement to prepare his breakfast exactly the way she did from now on. In short, he's sadistic, arbitrary, and fairly scary.

In his next appearance, he's hanging upside down, spouting of CRAAAAZY quips and just generally being silly. In short, "insane" now just means "silly" instead of "twisted and dangerous." Still, he does casually talk about how his last housekeeper got eaten by one of his experiments, so he hired the experiment as a replacement housekeeper. At least he's still got hints of sociopathy.

When he finally confronts Anne (after quite a bit of "this crazy wizard guy is coming to battle you" buildup), he... turns a few guys into girls, gets KOd by a bowling ball, then learns a Very Important Lesson and undoes all the evil he's ever done. Oh, and that maid who got eaten? Turns out her consciousness was transferred to the experiment, and she actually likes her new body, so no harm done.

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

I'm going to speak up for a moment to defend them on this point (and only this point).

The "Stay secret, stay hidden" is the more modern way of dealing with magic, but it's not what the comedies usually did, and most of the time the Wotch thinks it's a comedy.
    Dresden doesn't really have that prohibition. There's no real law against breaking the Masquerade, and nobody seems to mind that Dresden advertises in the phone book as "Wizard" and talks about magic to anyone who's willing to ask. He'd be after Anne for ethical reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I remember liking it back when I had no taste.
    Heeey, I resemble that remark.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-03-07 at 03:01 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #67

That is a point to rememberwhen The Wotch stays on target as far as tone goes.

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Don't forget Buffy the Vampire Slayer, if Angry Anne is supposed to be anything. People are in serious denial over there in that town.
    The Sunnydale Syndrome actually name-checked later on, IIRC. So yeah, Buffyisms too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Dresden doesn't really have that prohibition. There's no real law against breaking the Masquerade, and nobody seems to mind that Dresden advertises in the phone book as "Wizard" and talks about magic to anyone who's willing to ask. He'd be after Anne for ethical reasons.
    Yeah. DF is more about humanity enforcing its own prohibition by falsely waving around Occam's Razor to keep in the comfortable darkness of ignorance.

Anyway, gonna close out this post and start posting the actual next Let's Read portion.
    LGBTitP

8. - Top - End - #68

Part 6: Slumber Party...of DOOM!!
    Covers: they are still a thing.

I guess this is as good a time as any to elaborate on why I haven't commented on the art. The answer is quite simple: I'm a writer who happens to do art for my own projects on the side, and even then I work in a different medium (digital artwork). As such, I feel hesitant to step in and make commentary on something I'm not really sure I could follow up on. I'm no Domochevsky.

Anyway, it's time for a new reoccurring character to say hello. Meet Katie McBride, friend of Wolfie, she of the impressively malleable memory. We also have more of Jason being a self-serving ass, which is always good1.

So yes, we have a slumber party. And you know what that means: more characters! In addition to Katie and Wolfie, we have Professor Sorgaz Mingmei Wu, as well as the occultist Cassie Sinclair. Cassie earns entrance brownie points for being part of the Epic Occult Longcoats Club. And, of course, what better topic to start a slumber party with than the weird events happening around the school? It's like a game of Bloody Mary, but without the horrendous mirror spirit causing your eyes to bleed profusely as she causes you immense pain before killing you.

Following up the urban legend story time, Cassie brings out her bag of tricks. While the BSOD Ouija board2 may be a bust, there is always the good ol' arcane tome. I must wonder why Anne would think that a book of summoning would be used to create a mage light spell, but I guess conjuration's conjuration, no matter how small.

Of course, for plot convenience, the GM has ruled that Cassie has failed her Knowledge (Arcane Lore) DC, summoning not a unicorn, but the Uricarn! Yes, the Uricarn, a mighty demonic entity, whose fearsome claws and spiked tail are signals of its violent tendencies and ability to...transform people3. Sure, why not.

Meeting up with Jason and Robin on the way, Anne finds out more about the Uricarn. Being a demon of chaos, he's more or less in it for the lulz, though no one said that lulz were harmless. Also part of his portfolio are continuing running gags and coffee. How insidious4!

To defeat this powerful force, Robin must step up and take initiative...to cast an incantation on Anne. Poor Robin, your day in the spotlight will come, I swear. For now, though, Anne's going to fight fire with fire, or demon with demon as the case may be. This means we get to learn exactly what those claws of the Uricarn are for: genocide5! Oh, and combat, I guess.

Combat ensues, and Robin loses the arcane tome. Oh noes! That's terrible! I mean, it's not like there's a powerful spellcaster around that can fix this prob-...oh, right. Thus, the day is saved, Jason's narcissism is fed, and the Uricarn is brought back to Dark Lord Whatshisface's realm, where I'm sure he'll neeeeeeeeeeeeever be heard from again.

After this, there's a collection of one-shots that I guess I could go over quickly, since one-shots are technically canon rather than the verboten filler.

First off, Jason is still narcissistic, and Robin is still conflicted over his feelings for Anne. Have I mentioned enough that I love Jason? He's like this comic's Stunt and Bumper, but without the throat-slitting.

Second is a little one-shot about Maki the cat. It's...a cat joke? Not sure what more to say. The attempt at a comic conveying actions without words is nice, I guess.

Fourth is a little look into Wolfie's wrestling career. It's nothing special, but it's not bad, either.

Fifth is Cassie and a pencil going at odds with each other. Cassie's magical abilities become stronger with rage, you say? I'm sure that will neeeeeeeeever become relevant.

Last but not least is our sixth one shot. This one's just Jason being awesome again, no more, no less.

Thoughts
    This chapter's an odd duck, to say the least. At first, it feels like a monster of the week portion again...but it's not. It's pretty much a setpiece chapter, start to finish. We get the introduction of Cassie and Katie, Cassie's occultist ways, the first appearance of the Uricarn demon, more of Jason being Jason, and Ivan's increasing J. Jonah Jameson Syndrome. I'd say that, for what it is, this is a fairly solid chapter compared to some of those we've passed through.

Notes
    1. Seriously, when reading for this thread, I've come to have an odd love for Jason. He's a jerkass that cares little about the supernatural occurrences around him beyond "how does this all affect me?", and I love that. While the conspiracy theorist, the confidant, the government agent, etc. are all good urban fantasy character tropes, there's something refreshing about the hedonistic punk that would summon a demon just to open his soda cans so he wouldn't have to get his fingernails scuffed.
    2. The first thing that comes to mind is a d20 Modern one-shot adventure called "Beer, Pretzels, a Ouija Board, and a Demon", which is basically a gender-swapped version of this story. Then again, I'm a nerd.
    3. To be somewhat fair, the Uricarn does apparently have a disintegration spell as well.
    4. The coffee, not the running gags. Horrid stuff, never liked the taste of it.
    5. Gotta love Ivan's dedication here. He's like a National Geographic photographer, but with giant demonic reptiles.
    LGBTitP

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Heeey, I resemble that remark.
    "No taste" just means I didn't really judge anything due to a lack of exposure to the genre. If you honestly like it on its own merits, that's fine with me. Heck, the comic's got plenty of elements that I like; it's just that the rest of it kind of makes it painful for me to read now.

Though I will note that the early parts (after chapter two) are a lot better than the later parts.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

10. - Top - End - #70

GnomeWizardGuy

Part 6: I'm starting to get tired of the arcs being totally focused around transformations ad nauseum. It's fine if that's Anne's thing, but after an arc about multiple Annes gone amok and transforming everyone, then a genie gone amok transforming everyone, having an arc about a demon gone amok transforming everyone is too much.

I'm also concerned the tone has shifted from Bewitched/Sabrina level to Buffy. Once the tone gets too serious I'm starting to wonder about the plot holes like why everyone is okay with people permanently transformed (lampshading this isn't helping!) or why the feds haven't arrived yet. The building Dark Lord Whathisface elements aren't helping.

It's still got its charm but I think the tone shift is starting to clash. If the comic wants to shift gears up to drama soon it has to have Anne or Robin do some introspection about what they're up to and make some moderately tough moral choices (like what to do about Ivan's reporting now it's getting dangerous). Not Jason obviously because he doesn't roll that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    I guess this is as good a time as any to elaborate on why I haven't commented on the art. The answer is quite simple: I'm a writer who happens to do art for my own projects on the side, and even then I work in a different medium (digital artwork). As such, I feel hesitant to step in and make commentary on something I'm not really sure I could follow up on. I'm no Domochevsky.
    My base acceptable art level is that is has to be a) clear enough that you can follow what goes on, and b) not so horrible I feel ill looking at it. If the comic starts failing on either of those regards I'll comment on it. Generally the Wotch is okay on a) but sometimes starts to falter on b) - mainly via gradient fill abuse.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    So... you're buying into an illegitimate idea that people who can't do better cannot appreciate or critique art or how art fails to convey tone or its use in furthering or failing to further a story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The Ouija board and the shoulder angel/devil part were hilarious. Best parts of this chapter.

On another positive, there is noticeable improvement in the art on the Xaos section compared to the previous chapters.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

I think in terms of Mage: The Ascension, Anne would simply be a marauder (as in, crazy, irresponsible, and immune to paradox). I don't recall the Traditions have a standing kill order against marauders, although of course the Technocracy would. Other than that, this thread is making me want to read Dresden Files, which I am unfamiliar with.

Anyway, I find this thread interesting. I used to read The Wotch, mostly as an archive binge on a rainy afternoon. I agree with the comment that it's okay as a binge, but problematic when you start thinking about it or waiting for updates. And I agree that the earlier comics are better than the latter: it works when it's lighthearted, and fails when it tries to go for complex plotlines. So a running commentary is appreciated.

The main thing that bothers me about the Wotch is the abysmal pacing. For the most part, nothing ever happens in the comic: the characters don't grow or learn, and the scary extradimensional warlord never actually comes through. And yeah, there's the "consequences" arc that doesn't actually have any consequences. Lots of things get introduced, none of them get resolved, ever. This is something that'll make me stop reading any story, as soon as I realize it.

To be honest I was never that bothered by the jock-to-cheerleader transformation, mostly because (as far as I recall) the jocks don't appear in the story until right before they get transformed, and they're almost never mentioned again afterwards. So I basically viewed them as a one-off gag and didn't think of them any more.

Well, except in the Cheer spinoff, of course. But then I find that Cheer has absolutely nothing to do with The Wotch, except that it nominally takes place at the same school. Cheer deals with the gender swap issue by ignoring it, so it's an ok comic if you overlook that. It doesn't rise above "ok" because the plotlines simply don't go anywhere; it's basically a series of aborted arcs until it went on permanent hiatus. I'll say this for Cheer: the art is good. Much, much better than the Wotch.

My overall opinion on Wotch is that it's mediocre. It has its moments, it tries (or used to, at least) and while it's never good or excellent, neither is it infuriatingly stupid. There are a few webcomics that make want to throw the proverbial book against the wall (mostly Goblins, Menagea3, and DrowTales) but this is solid in its mediocrity. An acceptable pastime for a rainy afternoon, nothing more.

$.02
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2012-03-07 at 06:39 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So... you're buying into an illegitimate idea that people who can't do better cannot appreciate or critique art or how art fails to convey tone or its use in furthering or failing to further a story.
    Not really (I'd like to think that I do decently with the types of art I do work with), I just have no idea where I'd start.

With writing, I can look at it and say "hey, here's a joke I can make" or "well, this is a point I could make". With art...it doesn't come so simply.
    LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #75

It is telling that my favorite joke from the Wotch was a poster in the background warning people about unexplainable tripping, after reading Cheer!.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Oooo. ACTUAL PLOT PROGRESS! So rare! So shiny!

17. - Top - End - #77

Okay, this time, I'm gonna try commenting on any huge glaring art things that stare me in the face and say "good snark material". Here's hoping.

Part 7: What's my Age Again?
    Ah yes, the first of two Evan/Lilly-centric stories. Of course, this means that hijinx must ensue.

While we'd already seen hints and mentions of it, this is the first time Evan (as Lilly) elaborates on just why he does what he does. It is, at its base level, pure escapism. The Lilly form is a release for Evan from a stressful working life he must go through to support himself and a sister while his parents are in the land of...wherever so many cartoon parents go to.

Alas, no time for introspection, as things are fixed rather quickly. Or are they? Dun dun dun!

Yes, unsurprisingly, Anne has messed up this spell. Luckily, the rule of funny pulls through, and Evan manages to actually net himself the job. And, in a lightbulb moment, fixes the problem for real this time.

Oh, and Dark Lord Whatshisface enjoys using chains and whips.

Thoughts
    While one could rightly argue that "Angelique, the Defective Djinn" is a Jason story and "Slumber Party...of DOOM!" is a Cassie story, I would mark this as the first turning point of major non-Anne stories in the comic. It's a nice, simple little story, and there's not much else to say about it. It's cute.

Notes
    Erm...huh. No notes this time. That's weird.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next time, we cover two stories in one chapter with Part 8: Split Screen! Prepare for mood whiplash so fast your head will spin.
    LGBTitP

18. - Top - End - #78

GnomeWizardGuy

Part 7 was a decent, fun arc, I agree.

I'm not so sure what to make about the shift at the end to flogging a cat-woman in a torture chamber. That's shifting the tone to weird places.

19. - Top - End - #79

OldWizardGuy

What could possibly be weird about flogging a catgirl? Don't you flog yours?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    What could possibly be weird about flogging a catgirl? Don't you flog yours?
    You just described my tuesday nights, good sir.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

21. - Top - End - #81

Flogging catgirls is good exercise. Far too many evil overlords just sit around making vague statements and laughing all day; when the hero shows up, they end up pulling a muscle or something. It's very sad. That's why it's important to limber up with some torture and get in at least half an hour of wanton slaughter per day to stay in shape.

Now, I realize that Xaos is not actually doing any torture in this comic (his lackey's overseeing it, while the blue guy is using the whip). That's just because Xaos realizes the importance of delegation!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

As far as the goofy, pure fun arcs go, I don't think anything really tops "What's My Age Again?"

23. - Top - End - #83

Something that may be entirely coincidental, but interesting is the name Melleck Xaos.

This is very similar to the Ancient Near East word (of unknown origin) melek, which means "king"

So, in the most convoluted way possible, his name is King Chaos.

Not his title, his name.
    Last edited by Makensha; 2012-03-08 at 08:24 PM.
    Also known as Jarbis

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Makensha View Post
    This is very similar to the Ancient Near East word (of unknown origin) melek, which means "king"
    Sure, why not. That sounds like the author trying to be clever over an obscure fact they once heard, just like knowing that the first letter of "chaos" in Greek (a chi) looks like an X.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xaos is eventually "revealed" as the avatar of order, which underlines it's just the author trying to be clever.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #85

Okay, so...it's time for part 8. This is somewhat of an odd duck to attempt to talk about, as it literally is two stories at once.

As such, I have basically two options as far as this LR goes. I could either mix the two talks together, or I could have a section about the upper comic and one on the lower comic to avoid too much cutting back and forth/bleedover.

Thoughts?
    LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #86

GnomeWizardGuy

I've just read Part 8; it's probably best to split the two stories and discussed them separately, then discuss the decision to run the two concurrently.

I'll comment after you've done your analysis, because my notes file currently only says "Why is she wearing cargo pants?"

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I've just read Part 8; it's probably best to split the two stories and discussed them separately, then discuss the decision to run the two concurrently.

I'll comment after you've done your analysis, because my notes file currently only says "Why is she wearing cargo pants?"
    This is clearly the best note file ever. Cargo pants shall dominate the world one day, you know.

Okay, let's do this thing.

Part 8: Split Screen, Upper Half
    This story starts out with Jason being his typical self-serving self, giving us a hopeful start to things. And hey, this is purely on Jason's own beautifully self-gratifying nature, leaving him and Robin to be this tale's driving forces.

Unfortunately for Jason, things aren't going quite his way this story. The individual1 of his obsession has...gasp...made a decision for herself and dyed her hair! How heinous. On the other hand, he does manage to outthink Robin and state the obvious. Twice. Jason Grey: because no one knows the human condition quite like the person that manipulates others to his own selfish goals.

Robin, being the somewhat naive Straight Man of the group rather than Jason's manipulative self-serving individual, fails miserably at this whole "relationship-based interactions" thing.

Long story short2: Jason wins, Robin loses.

Part 8: Split Screen, Lower Half
    In the dark realm of Dark Lord Whatshisface, a dark-eyed woman sneaks through the darkness to do dark things. She also has cargo pants and a tank top because...something.

Easily taking out the brutes guarding the Dark Lord's captured cat-woman, Tigerclaw, the mysterious shadow woman escapes without a hitch. Or does she?

Well, whether she does or not, commander Tigerclaw has gotten an Ubercharge from a strange magical device called the Pearl of Da'cothra...only to lose it in the process. Or, more accurately, have it stolen right under their noses by one of Whatshisface's servants. Oh noes!

Thoughts
    Well, this certainly is an unusual story to comment on. Even with two stories in one, it's pretty damn short, and there's not much added on. In the upper story, we get Jason being Jason, and Robin's failure at relationships. For the lower story, we get to see the Dark Lord's love of a shiny magical pearl and how it gets stolen from under the resistance fighters' noses. Furthermore, the "split screen" gimmick doesn't do anything beyond contrasting the two tones the comic is now trying to integrate together more and more.

To be bluntly honest, "Split Screen" is weak. It probably would have worked better as a few one-shots rather than an entire chapter unto itself, and even then it probably would have been something I would have acknowledged briefly before passing over.

Notes
    1. Well...one individual of many.
    2. Or, more accurately, to make a short story shorter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next time is Part 9: Myths and Legends, where a transformation plague whips across Tandy. Again.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2012-03-09 at 07:48 AM.
    LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Split Screen felt like it was a case of taking two stories that weren't strong enough to stand on their own and resulting in...something that still wasn't quite strong enough to stand on its own. It's really just a transitory story, really.

I did like the repeat of the Star Wars angel/devil gag though.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy
    ...where a transformation plague whips across Tandy. Again.
    What a tweest!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

30. - Top - End - #90

I had planned on doing the next chapter much earlier than I am, but over the past few days mental exhaustion, self-doubt, and depression have taken a toll on me. I'm starting to recover, though, so I'm getting back in the saddle.

Part 9: Myths and Legends
    Robin is the starter for this chapter, giving us a shot of his unusual, referential, and rather revealing psyche. Robin's not exactly a monster slayer, a master sniper, a knowledgeable occultist, or any other "not inherently magical but capable of standing up on their own" individual. He's just plain ol' Robin. And that eats at him. This also feeds into his fear of intimacy with Anne, and...his utter gullibility.

After giving in to the desperation of taking back-alley magical items from random gnomes, Robin makes his way past some distracting individuals on his way home, and once again lives his fantasies within dreams while meta-Jason trolls him.

Oh, and he becomes a centaur, I guess that's worthy of note.

And it looks like he isn't alone! Anne has become a pixie/genero-fairy, Lilly a mermaid, and Jason...yeah. I would say there is some sort of grand symbolism behind the Main Three's transformations, but only Jason's really fits1.

Outside, the changes are spreading. Transformations sweep the nation Tandy, with the exception of Wolfie, who is unaffected. How mysteeeeeerious. I'm sure that's totally not foreshadowing. Nope. Not at all.

Oh, and running gags. Multiple ones2. As well as references.

Meanwhile, our heroes have come across a less than brilliant minotaur. Of course, through the use of their newfound powers and superior intellect, the great beast is felled...

...Only to have Jason's nature3 to get them right back into a jam. Oh well, at least Milo's on top of things. According to Mr. Exposition himself, what we've got is a case of the Mythos Virus, a magical contagion spread from the dust of old tomes. Good job breaking Tandy, Robin4.

One sea monster beating and dilemna of new nature later, and the truth gets revealed about just who is behind this mess. And hey, split opinions!

As Robin races off to find Anne, we get to see our stoned Canadian friend Scott get revived by a random phoenix. I'm sure that phoenix is tooooootally not foreshadowing. Just like Wolfie's immunity to the virus, and the Uricarn, and the resistance movement's leader Tigerclaw, and Kohain the evil gnomey guy, and Angelique, and...

...Where was I? Oh, yes! Solution. From Anne. And thus, the day is saved once again.

Or is it?!

There are also, as usual, between-arc one shots to go over.

First, we have apathetic parenting! Yay apathy!

Second, we have apathetic dog-sitting. Yay apathy!

Thoughts
    After the lackluster blah of Split Screen, Myths and Legends is a breath of fresh air. Sure, it's the transformation hijinx plot again, but that's to be expected by now, isn't it? We do get to see Robin's growing pathological desire to be more than he is, Anne's growing desire to keep magic more contained than she had in the first story, Jason continuing to be Jason, Cassie's growing resentment towards Anne, and we get multiple pieces of foreshadowing.

At the same time, you can start to see the comic growing into longer stories and a more Buffy-esque format, where the transformation comedy seems slightly less well-integrated. Now, I'm not saying that transformation comedy can't exist in a somewhat more serious story, but it's just not perfectly blended. All in all, though, not a bad story.

Notes
    1. I mean, I guess Robin might be a horse-and-knight connection, and Anne becoming an innately magical faerie entity sort of fits, but it's a bit of a stretch. Jason becoming a satyress, an entity of pure, unbridled hedonism, though? Totally apt.
    2. As a pedantic aside, reports of the Meh-Teh (Yeti) discuss a sometimes snow-flecked, but nonetheless brown-furred, entity. The whole "white-furred" thing is based around the misinterpretation of Meh-Teh as meaning "Abominable Snowman".
    3. Apparently Hylians count as legendary creatures. Or he could just be a conveniently-dressed elf, admittedly. ...I'm looking into the reference way too much, aren't I? Also, during the chase that ensues, Jason comes across this guy, who is unchanged. Wolfie has excuses we'll get into later, and Milo's earned his immunity card, so what the hell is up with Batman Logo Guy? What's his story?
    4. Though, to be fair, Tandy would end up breaking some other way anyway.

Next time, things heat up in Part 10: Revenge of Ishtarru!
    Last edited by Rappy; 2012-03-12 at 01:31 AM.
    LGBTitP