New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Where does the idea that earth ponies are stronger than other ponies come from? From what I've seen, Rainbow Dash easily beats Applejack in hoof-wrestling, while AJ totally owns her in bucking stuff, suggesting that AJ is (much) stronger than RD in her hind legs but weaker than RD in her front legs. AJ's strength in her hind legs is easily and naturally explained by many years of bucking trees, a non-inherited trait that someone like Pinkie Pie probably can't claim but anypony could supposedly train given time and dedication.
    Well I think Big Mac pulling a house behind him may have something to do with that. Or that scene in Lesson Zero, which is strait out of an Asterix comic. Mind you, that's always Big Mac, and I suspect his Cutie Talent is superstrength. I don't think that earth ponies are particularly stronger than other sorts at baseline level. But do think their own brand of magic tends to manifest in... well, "earthy" ways: physical prowess and connection to nature.

A question I'm genuinely curious about: what's the difference between 'a real knack for dealing with plants' and 'their magic is being good with plants', to you? Same question to Thanqol.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-03-10 at 08:57 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Word on the Playground says it's Trixie's Birthday.

Happy Birthday, Trixie!

Spoiler
    Show

Also because Fluttershy is best pony

:3

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    A question I'm genuinely curious about: what's the difference between 'a real knack for dealing with plants' and 'their magic is being good with plants', to you? Same question to Thanqol.
    If all you mean by "their magic is being good with plants" is that they have a talent for dealing with plants, then it's really pointless to use the word "magic" instead of plain old "talent". In fact it cheapens the idea of "magic" if all it is is a talent for something. Like, "my magic is being really good at math", that's just lame you know, whether or not it's true.

Now, there's a possible exception. And that is, if the skill is so incredibly exceptional and seemingly beyond any normal human (or pony) ability, then it might be acceptable to call it magic or magical. Like, the abilities of a natural genius such as Ramanujan have probably been called as much. But these are fringe cases, unique individuals.

And sure, there may be some ponies that are like that, like Twilight with her magic, and maybe Big Mac (though we don't really have anything to compare him against, we haven't seen any other earth pony stallions at work like that), but there's nothing to suggest that all earth ponies have any ability which is so far beyond anything pegasi or unicorns can manage that it'd warrant the name "magic". Basically I don't think there's anything a regular, run-of-the-mill earth pony can do that any similar pegasus or unicorn couldn't also do just as well or better, given enough training and the desire to do so.

I think what distinquishes earth ponies is more of a mental attitude than a physical or magical ability.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    (nomenclature note, read first)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Magic" I here define as "unseen force permeating the natural world of Equestria, affecting all that exists within". Unicorn "magic" is just spellcasting, powered by this force.
    No difference in practice, just in the underlying principles. If the plants have magic of their own and the earth ponies possess a magical aura that resonates with them (same goes true for a lot of other things, btw; the whole "cutie mark" and "true talent" thing may just be the universe's way of differentiating between different "frequencies" of pony auras), the plants will grow better with earth ponies tending to them. If the plants are independent from ambient magic, and the ponies simply possess a sort of genetic memory of how to handle plants and treat them best, then the plants will grow best with earth ponies tending to them.

Also, epileptic tree time:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Earth pony magic isn't being "in touch with plants", rather "in touch with the nature", or some aspect of nature and the world. Most may have developed a magic aptitude towards plants and animals, simply through selection, as growing plants and tending to animals was what Earth ponies were doing for as long as they existed as a species. For some, it may be "in touch with other ponies' feelings", or perhaps with anatomy, etc, etc. So, we get teachers, doctors, nurses, gardeners, farmers... and Pinkie Pie, who is "in touch with the Universe", feeling events happen around her, and being able to affect the universe around her on an unprecedented level. In a sense, hers is a "hax talent" in the same way Twilight's is "magic".
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

(For the second time, since the board completely ate my post this morning, and I've been playing Pokemon Platinum with my niece all afternoon...)

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Ponies vs Reapers

Spoiler
    Show
    As Mass Effect 3 came this morning, I can now laugh at this, rather than gnawing through steel and contemplating throwing things at Zevox and the other people who have been able to play for nearly a week...

(Though the Japanese have my commiserations, as they have to wait another week; but not too much, and you guys get Pokemon way before everpony else...)

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Synopsis:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quick, we need Poirot ponies STAT!

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Somepony please enlighten me about this "epileptic tree" thing. I looked it up in the urban dictionary and 'know your meme' and got nothing... it's been bothering me for a while now

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Somepony please enlighten me about this "epileptic tree" thing. I looked it up in the urban dictionary and 'know your meme' and got nothing... it's been bothering me for a while now
    It's a TVtrope referring to crackpot fan theories.

9. - Top - End - #489

http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwik...EpilepticTrees
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    It's a TVtrope referring to crackpot fan theories.
    Thanks Now I feel all light and relieved

Back to ponies, then...

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #491
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's from TV Tropes. It's basically a fan theory made up from little evidence. Not-all-that-relevant explanation:

Spoiler
    Show
    The reference is to LOST and its infamous "monster" that spent the entire first season (and most of the second, if I recall) off-camera. The only indication of its presence (besides its victims' horrible deaths) was the shaking of the trees as it approached. There were, of course, all sorts of fanon explanations, but they all had about as much evidence going for them as the theory that the trees were simply epileptic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Earth pony magic isn't being "in touch with plants", rather "in touch with the nature", or some aspect of nature and the world. Most may have developed a magic aptitude towards plants and animals, simply through selection, as growing plants and tending to animals was what Earth ponies were doing for as long as they existed as a species. For some, it may be "in touch with other ponies' feelings", or perhaps with anatomy, etc, etc. So, we get teachers, doctors, nurses, gardeners, farmers... and Pinkie Pie, who is "in touch with the Universe", feeling events happen around her, and being able to affect the universe around her on an unprecedented level. In a sense, hers is a "hax talent" in the same way Twilight's is "magic".
    If I may add a branch to your tree here;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite Pinkie Pie's Earth Pony Magic being able to defy most laws of science, physics, and probably magics, it abides by one rule only: the Rule of Funny. In other words, she can only go faster than Rainbow Dash if it would be funny/entertaining/produces a "WTF?!?" moment. Hijack Twilight's Teleport spell in "Secret of My Excess?" Funny!
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    If I may add a branch to your tree here;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite Pinkie Pie's Earth Pony Magic being able to defy most laws of science, physics, and probably magics, it abides by one rule only: the Rule of Funny. In other words, she can only go faster than Rainbow Dash if it would be funny/entertaining/produces a "WTF?!?" moment. Hijack Twilight's Teleport spell in "Secret of My Excess?" Funny!
    That's quite a healthy branch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It also explains why her talent is "parties". She is the Element of Laughter (this, I believe, was predestined), and her actual talent (being in touch with the universe) combines with it, resulting in a keen sense of "fun" and a desire to spread the fun around. Hence, parties. The connection to the universe at large essentially makes her a personification of Rule of Fun. We may actually be on to something here!
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

I still think it's just Pinkie is (subconciously) psionic, which is why she doesn't ping on the magic radar as it were. Foresight, psychoportation, maybe a bit of metacreativity or something for actually creating that random stuff she pulls out, possibly telepathic projection (like when she appeared in Twilight's mirro that time.) Simple explanation.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

and maybe Big Mac (though we don't really have anything to compare him against, we haven't seen any other earth pony stallions at work like that),
    except the 4(or 6?) stallions we saw pulling the train(including the non-working engine) in Over a Barrel
    and assuming some level of equality between bulls and normal stallions we saw 2 bulls straining a little to haul that cart of anvils in Hearts & Hooves
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-03-10 at 12:48 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

Aaaaaugh!

I don't get to use the TV that gets Hub this afternoon.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    except the 4(or 6?) stallions we saw pulling the train(including the non-working engine) in Over a Barrel
    and assuming some level of equality between bulls and normal stallions we saw 2 bulls straining a little to haul that cart of anvils in Hearts & Hooves
    That'd probably make Big Mac not too exceptional for a pony like him (the ones pulling the train must have been fairly strong, with such a job). And stronger than bulls, or maybe the bulls had been pulling it all day and were tired

Also, PONYTIME! YAY! I'm so looking forward to this episode...

18. - Top - End - #498

GnomeWizardGuy

Season 2 episode 20 (It's About Time) spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    So how long before we get a fanfic where Twilight goes back and stops herself from going back in time, and all the random preventive stuff she didn't do (fixing up Ponyville, etc) ends up having disastrous consequences?
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode, initial thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hah, "whatever you do, don't waste your time... worrying... about", someone called that I'm sure.

Awesome episode! ^^ At least from a first viewing.

Huh, Cerberus, Tartarus... evil creatures... that was unexpected. I'm pretty sure that's good news for my next fic, though. Season Two saved my fanon? Or at least provided it a little fuel, maybe.

Stop time? Twilight you idiot. For a clever pony you're really not very smart, are you?

What happened to that letter from Celestia? There was a letter, right? Just after she came back from her Cerberus quest. And Twilight never read it. I didn't imagine something?

Oooh... Luna's guards, with normal, non-bat appearance! I knew all along. At last it is confirmed and people can stop wondering what kinds of strange ponies they were.

Hehe.... Guards are cool. For a second I thougth it looked like Luna's shadow and was already squeeing loudly. Ah well.

Loved Celestia's passing by, "hey Twilight", all casual. We see her far too little.

But seriously, Twilight sure isn't very smart.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

I have one thing and one thing only to say about the new episode

Spoiler
    Show
    How I Met Your Mother reference? Future Spike's problem? I know it's probably vague, but that line became popular through the show.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-03-10 at 01:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501

I just want to say I love M.A. Larson.

new episode spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Great episode,
    wonderful use of time, they even manged to repeat the time warning scene.

and so many things!
    Panic balloon pinkie
    Cerberus and tartarus!
    Pinkie hiding things all over ponyville
    Gipsy Pinkie!!! FiW canon! lol
    Twilight is watching you!!!

Oh, Twilight, why is no pony surprised you are in a LIBRARY?

so adorkable.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

1st thoughts

Spoiler
    Show
    fan service for the Commodore!

somepony slap her, she is getting hysterical again

"i'm from next tuesday morning" LOL oh, and war is now canon

if you had just SHUT UP! she could have told you

Pinkie.... /facehoof

Las Neighgas! YES! never mind, she said Los Pegasus

or... your preparations ARE the disaster
    --but she is only preparing because she came back with a warning
    --but she only came back to warn about the preparations
    --but she only came back to yada yada yada
    ---BLEEP TIME TRAVEL---

must...resist...lecturing...

yeah Rainbow Dash, you cant lie any better than AJ

Pinkie Pie + Gypsy Magic =

ok i am scared...Pinkie doesn't know where the flowerpot came from?

stop time...perfectly reasonable solution

again ---BLEEP TIME TRAVEL---
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2012-03-10 at 02:32 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

23. - Top - End - #503

New episode thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

Something about this episode seemed subtly "off" to me.
    Am I going crazy or did anypony else notice it? in the latter case might you have a hypothesis about what it might be that was of?

Also I noticed that unread letter too Deadly.
    Now I wonder if it's content is related to why nopony was surprised by Twilight's sneaking or if that was just the result of her being allowed to be there as the Princess's student.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    New episode thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

Am I going crazy or did anypony else notice it? in the latter case might you have a hypothesis about what it might be that was of?

Now I wonder if it's content is related to why nopony was surprised by Twilight's sneaking or if that was just the result of her being allowed to be there as the Princess's student.
    New Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know about "off", I loved it, but Twilight's reactions sure are irrational. For one, why didn't she immediately contact Celestia to see if she knew something? That's what she did in the very first episode, as the very first thing when she learned something was about to happen. Why not now?

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

New Episode, initial thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

What happened to that letter from Celestia? There was a letter, right? Just after she came back from her Cerberus quest. And Twilight never read it. I didn't imagine something?

New episode thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    they covered the letter

Spike mentioned that it was a lost dog flier
    and there was a comment that the princess didnt yet know she had already found Cerberus

full size avatar

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Episode 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really liked this episode. Made me smile a lot.

I'm loving the design for the armour of the Library guards. Pretty sweet. Also that everypony know Twilight and doesn't care that she's there! Happy Tuesday!

You guys, how's long has it been since all the mane 6 and Spike were together and talking in an episode? Spike & Dash trolling Twilight was great. And "Madam Pinkie" too! Pinkie Pie is always fun! "Where did that come from?" indeed.

And lastly Twilight. Oh Twilight. I love you, but must you be so clueless?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    they covered the letter

Spike mentioned that it was a lost dog flier
    and there was a comment that the princess didnt yet know she had already found Cerberus
    Ah, sound off the alarm, then

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    IT'S YOUR KIDS TWILIGHT.

SOMETHING HAS GOT TO BE DONE ABOUT YOUR KIDS.

Clearly Twilight Sparkle is the Chuck Goodrich of the Ponyverse.
    And Mayor Mare is just another Future!Twilight in disguise so she can track all the events in Ponyville without anyone knowing about her mission!

If she didn't assign Twilight as All Team Organizer winter would never have been wrapped up and Ponyville would have starved! If she didn't throw that parade for MMDW Rainbow Dash would never have tried unmasking her, causing her to break down and leave Ponyville forever. Without their local weather mare, Ponyville would have been DOOOOMED! She's the one who called Celestia in Lesson Zero too!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    She also uses a Fabricate type spell to turn fabric into clotihng in both Boast Busters and Sweet and Elite (so why she still needs the sewing machine is beyond me).
    I'm guessing it's a quality thing. Magicking it all together is one thing, but a good stitch can look so much better. That and it would be easier to maintain when it isn't being held together with magic.

...New thought! If she magics it together it's held together by magic, and Equestria has dead magic and wild magic zones. Ever gone mountain climbing only to have your ropes betray you? It isn't fun.

Or she just uses magic to hold it in place. Like pins, but faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think that Unicorns can basically learn nearly any spell as long as they can connect to it. As in feel that it relates to their cuties mark in some way. However they tend to have much less power and it will still be on a small scale.

so Trixie can basically learn any spell out there since it deals with magic. However she can't cast every spell or only with extreme effort.

While Twilight can cast any spell and only the most difficult would be tiring. So Trixie could teleport but it's likely more tiring then walking (and not as good for your muscles!) while Twilight can spam it.
    I see it more being an interest thing and not so much a connection. Sure, Rarity could learn a spell that gives people moustaches but what's the point? She's got dresses to make! She doesn't have time for such a silly, trivial spell!

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Tangent so that we can talk about something without spoiler boxes!

GEEK PARTY PRIMARY 2012:
    Spoiler
    Show

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE and ironically that particular franchise isn't represented.

Also seriously lacking in Trek. I mean, come on.
    To everyone trying to decide which party to support, I've got one thing to say.
    Spoiler
    Show

Why pick just one? Pony all the things!

I'll agree on Twilight's magic being "inconsistently available". She is fairly conveniently forgetful sometimes, as for all her organizational skills she seems to be fairly scatterbrained when what she needs to do isn't written down in a checklist of some kind. Therefore, her being inconsistent in her magical ability or spells available is at least believable from an in-universe standpoint. Of course, there is the simpler narrative explanation, specifically New Powers As The Plot Demands, which suits her perfectly, but I prefer explaining in-universe things through in-universe logic.
    I was going to say something about how she probably knows too much stuff, and as such has a hard time organizing it mentally. She probably has such a huge list of spells in her mind that it's easy for her to forget which ones are useful in any given situation, especially stressful ones.

Then I remembered Thanqol's explanation for the checklists. Curse you Thanqol!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    So if we were to plot out the ponies:

New Episode thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pinkie Pie carries the balloons. Hee~ So great watching her panic.

Huh, Tartarus is now canon. I'm really hoping we get more on that later.

"I don't have time for another one of your lectures!"
    ...Spike's lectures?
    "My lectures?" My thoughts exactly Spike.

Dear gods Pinkie really is a gypsy. Now taking bets on how long before we get a new Pinkie's Brew PMV using clips from this episode!

And more Pinkie Sense. This pleases me. So happy they keep bringing that back up.

Ninja Pinkie! Pinkie Pie looks kind of funny bald.

Yeah, so there is no way Twilight pretending to be a statue isn't an intentional MGS4 reference. Seriously. She even looks like Snake! There is no way that was an accident!

I was going to bring this up when Rainbow Dash did it, but forgot to. How do ponies sneak around when they have hooves? How come nopony ever hears them?

And Celestia randomly appears. Loved how nopony cared that Twilight was wandering around the high-security library. Loved it more that Twilight couldn't seem to figure out why they didn't find it odd that Celestia's top student was there. Oh Twilight, you're so silly.

Overall this was a really good episode. I admit I had concerns about how they'd handle the time travel, and for a while there I thought the disaster involved Spike eating all the ice cream. Pinkie Pie was great in this episode, as usual. Especially her obsession with Twilight's birthday present. I think the part I like most is that they outright said that the time travel spell only ever works once. No potential messes involved here. And Twilight wasted her one-shot trying to stop herself from going insane. Silly Twilight.

Last edited by Kyouhen; 2012-03-10 at 01:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509

I posted this as a comment on EQD also

new episode stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

everypony needs to remember that by the time Twi found the time spell she was without sleep for probably 4~5 days.
    I like to see anypony make rational judgments after no sleep for 4~5 days.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

30. - Top - End - #510

GnomeWizardGuy

New episode thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

S2e20 (It's About Time) spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well it was considerably toned down compared to other manic-crazy episodes, like Lesson Zero or Putting Your Hoof Down.

Spoiler
    Show
    ok i am scared...Pinkie doesn't know where the flowerpot came from?
    S2e20 (It's About Time) spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why did my first thought go to Bill and Ted at this comment?
    Pinkie must have hopped a ride on Twilight's time-travel spell and set up the flower pot!
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image