New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: doctor who?

1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: doctor who?

Ah, TnG. I never made it past the first half or so of season 1.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nihil8r View Post
    hurray!

i watched the first 3 eps of season 5. the first two were fine, the third was a letdown. i always thought daleks were hilarious so i had high hopes for the episode, but by the time airplanes were flying through space after only a few minutes of "upgrades" . . . anyway i didn't want to watch the angels episode without seeing the first one, so i went back to season 1. the ghost episode was great! the farting alien invasion monsters were fine. not great but entertaining enough. and then dalek episode was great! so i guess the show is actually fine, it's just that the first episode was so atrocious it sent me running to the forum in shock.

i mean, it's not like other shows don't have A+ episodes as well as F- episodes (i'm thinking of st:tng in particular here)
    I hope i'm not too late for this, but, don't watch "The Empty Child" and
    "The Doctor Dances" late at night in a dark room with no-one around. seriously, DON'T

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    "The Doctor Dances" late at night in a dark room with no-one around. seriously, DON'T
    While good, I think Flesh and Stone is far more terrifying, especially the bit where
    Spoiler
    Show
    the lights fail and they have to keep the angels illuminated with muzzle flashes from their weapons.

That said, if you don't mind branching into Torchwood, Small Worlds and Countrycide from season one come very close as well.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-03-27 at 04:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

i watched them just last night with 2 friends! fortunately no bad dreams are you my mummy?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Some people have problems Night Terrors due to living dolls.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nihil8r View Post
    hurray!

i watched the first 3 eps of season 5. the first two were fine, the third was a letdown. i always thought daleks were hilarious so i had high hopes for the episode, but by the time airplanes were flying through space after only a few minutes of "upgrades" . . . anyway i didn't want to watch the angels episode without seeing the first one, so i went back to season 1. the ghost episode was great! the farting alien invasion monsters were fine. not great but entertaining enough. and then dalek episode was great! so i guess the show is actually fine, it's just that the first episode was so atrocious it sent me running to the forum in shock.

i mean, it's not like other shows don't have A+ episodes as well as F- episodes (i'm thinking of st:tng in particular here)
    The first episode is indeed odd, especially for a series reboot. Personally, though, I like Eccleston's version of The Doctor the best out of all of them, especially how he's able to act in all of these absurd situations as a man who's actually threatened by these wacko critters. Just consider the scene where he's being "choked" by the mannequin hand. That's mad crazy acting skill right there.

Oh, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances is possibly my favorite two-parter in the whole series, though maybe that's partially nostalgia filter. It definitely ranks up there.

But yeah. I'm glad that you're going through from Season 1 now, actually. I think it makes the rest of the series much more rewarding, watching in that order. Plus, there's always the fact that some episodes must be watched before others, in my opinion. For instance, I wouldn't think of suggesting Flesh and Stone/Time of the Angels be watched before Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead for...reasons. Spoilers!
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2012-03-26 at 07:59 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    The first episode is indeed odd, especially for a series reboot. Personally, though, I like Eccleston's version of The Doctor the best out of all of them, especially how he's able to act in all of these absurd situations as a man who's actually threatened by these wacko critters. Just consider the scene where he's being "choked" by the mannequin hand. That's mad crazy acting skill right there.

Oh, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances is possibly my favorite two-parter in the whole series, though maybe that's partially nostalgia filter. It definitely ranks up there.

But yeah. I'm glad that you're going through from Season 1 now, actually. I think it makes the rest of the series much more rewarding, watching in that order. Plus, there's always the fact that some episodes must be watched before others, in my opinion. For instance, I wouldn't think of suggesting Flesh and Stone/Time of the Angels be watched before Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead for...reasons. Spoilers!
    He's not quite my favorite (11 is my favorite new-Who Doctor and Tom Baker my favorite old-Who Doctor), but a close 3rd. The way his eyes light up, that big goofy grin spreads across his face as he shouts "Fantastic" is just perfect for the Doctor. Also I think that the 1st season finale was the best, after that they just seemed to get away from the writers.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2012-03-27 at 11:14 AM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    He's not quite my favorite (11 is my favorite new-Who Doctor and Tennant my favorite old-Who Doctor), but a close 3rd. The way his eyes light up, that big goofy grin spreads across his face as he shouts "Fantastic" is just perfect for the Doctor. Also I think that the 1st season finale was the best, after that they just seemed to get away from the writers.
    Just how do you classify the doctors? old doctor who = 10 and down, new doctor is the current one? Then wouldn't your favorite new doctor be the newest by definition? the rest being old?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Just how do you classify the doctors? old doctor who = 10 and down, new doctor is the current one? Then wouldn't your favorite new doctor be the newest by definition? the rest being old?
    "Old" Doctors being from the original run of the series (1963-1987), thus One to Seven (and Eight sort of falling somewhere in between, but generally with this lot).

"New" Doctors being from the series reboot in 2004, thus Nine to Eleven so far.

Also delineated into Classic- and Nu- Who.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I know, but I'm pretty sure that Tennant wasn't in Classic Who.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Unless you count that Comic Relief Fifth/Tenth mini crossover.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, yeah, I see the line in Weezer's post that you're referring to.

In which case, pass!
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops, that's an embarrasing typo, meant to put Tom Baker, fixing that now...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Unless you count that Comic Relief Fifth/Tenth mini crossover.
    Pretty sure that makes Davison a new doctor rather than Tennet a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Oops, that's an embarrasing typo, meant to put Tom Baker, fixing that now...
    That's a rather large typo. Could understand maybe putting Collin instead of tom but that would have just raised larger question.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post

That's a rather large typo. Could understand maybe putting Collin instead of tom but that would have just raised larger question.
    I blame it on the fact that I'd just rewatched the Parting of the Ways, so Tennant was on my mind.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If you thought that was bad you should go back to the days of William Hartnell Or Tom Baker LOL

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Balain View Post
    If you thought that was bad you should go back to the days of William Hartnell Or Tom Baker LOL
    Different times, different audiences. It's unfair to judge them by today's standards. Also the Tom Baker episodes I've seen were good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1