New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XL: The Plot Thickens!

Season finale:

Spoiler
    Show

Egophiliac is best pony.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Season finale:

Spoiler
    Show

Egophiliac is best pony.
    I choose B. I choose B all day long.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

finale
    Spoiler
    Show
    how messed up would it be if the dark secret is that shes not an alicorn?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Season finale:

Spoiler
    Show

Egophiliac is best pony.
    Trixie being vaguely related to Luna... actually makes more sense than it should.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

The Most Dashing Plot! (can I show this here? )
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

I've been trying really hard to not get spoiled about the finale and I don't like all the teasers that are being released ahead of time.

Still seeing the model for Candence this was my first thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    This whole episode is to make the Pinkestia toys show accurate.

My biggest problems with the teasers if seeing all these spoilers and having to resist the temptation to look.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

whats with the "plot" thing?
    is that a horse term or am i missing something?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Don't quote me on it, but I believe it's a reference to "we watch it for the plot"

9. - Top - End - #489

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

As far as I can tell, it's an anime meme, where people would claim to be watching a highly fanservice show "for the plot" when it is quite clear what they mean.

Ponies not having breasts, there's kind of only one thing the plot can end up referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

10. - Top - End - #490
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

As far as I can tell, it's an anime meme, where people would claim to be watching a highly fanservice show "for the plot" when it is quite clear what they mean.

Ponies not having breasts, there's kind of only one thing the plot can end up referring to.
    It's gotta be older than that. It's really the same as people who claimed they liked Playboy for the articles
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

11. - Top - End - #491

pony fun fact.

neither flank nor plot are actual terms for an equine's behind.
    Flank is actually the sides of a pony, the unribbed area between the chest and the hind legs.
    Plot are not horse related at all.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    It's gotta be older than that. It's really the same as people who claimed they liked Playboy for the articles
    It's basically this, yeah.
    Truth resists simplicity.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

This is an old PMV, but it's a good one. AJ has a nice voice.

Easy Feeds Flowers Ground.
    http://youtu.be/MlV8buv6kqs

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I've been trying really hard to not get spoiled about the finale and I don't like all the teasers that are being released ahead of time.
    I would counter that the definition of "spoiler" seems to be expanding rather moronically to anything-even-remotely-about-the-episode-including-its-title. Mind you that's not a personal jab or anything or even confined to ponythread. However there seems to be absolutely no differentiation between entirely nessecary marketing to draw people in and build excitement... and letting everyone know that Darth Vader is Luke's father when the movie is still in theaters.

A spoiler should be confined to major plot twists or other information that only becomes significant to the climax or conclusion of a story. Something that tells you where the story is going is spoiler, not what it is. Character deaths, changes to the status quo, things that totally change what the story was about . A premise is not a spoiler, basic but vague info about a show is not a spoiler.

So that there's going to be a Royal Wedding in Canterlot between Shining Armor and Princess Cadence is not a spoiler, its simply the marketing. Heck without revealing that much demands you not even unveil things like the title in your programming guide. But let's go further, Shining Armor is Twilight's brother is not a spoiler because its answers a question immediately relating to the premise of the episode. Namely why the heck are the Mane Six involved. Certain other things known are not either like "Twilight's Parents" is not a spoiler because all we know is a fairly trivial factoid we'd expect in the first place given the premise. Same with that there's going to be a song or that Derpy has been sighted, these are things we expect and happen all the time. That it happens in one particular story is no biggie. If said song leaked on the other hand that would be a different story...

Now its not like we don't have something spoilerish for this episode known...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...like the clones which is something we should not logically expect in an episode about a wedding. Is this potentially significant enough to merit this, possibly.

Of course if they turn out to be some kind of throwaway distraction gag by the antagonist that was a marketing red herring though here is something that at least potentially merits caution.

In contrast the premise that Cadence has some "dark secret" is not because we know exactly nothing about it. What that secret is if someone leaked it, yeah total spoiler territory.

Its not like all the really juicy stuff isn't concealed by pure hive mind action. Even in discussions about say Fight Club how often does someone openly explain Tyler Durden. I went years without knowing and actually ended up pretty disappointed and found I could have enjoyed it more if I knew what to look for in advance.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I would counter that the definition of "spoiler" seems to be expanding rather moronically to anything-even-remotely-about-the-episode-including-its-title.
    Gotta say, I agree.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Gotta say, I agree.
    Thanks a bunch.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Gotta say, I agree.
    Me too.

@Deadly, ignoring my poorly made food comparison, what I was trying to get at is that I think you're worrying about the alicorn issue even though the creators and owners of the show have demonstrated through their treatment of the episode that they don't consider it important. The worry that the episode will disappoint in its story after all the hype is legitimate, but the issue of alicorn lore is just so unlikely to come up or even be important to the people in charge of the show, that rather than worry about it, I think it's fair to just decide on whatever fanon makes you most happy.

Of course, if it turns out that the alicorn thing becomes a major plot point (teehee) I expect this post to get quoted mercilessly to remind me how wrong I was.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

I would counter that the definition of "spoiler" seems to be expanding rather moronically to anything-even-remotely-about-the-episode-including-its-title.
    You may very well feel that way, and maybe I'll agree with you on most of it. Personally I don't worry about spoilers. Sometimes I wish Hasbro would release less of them or would at least wait until not too long before the episode airs, but once they're out they're out and I'm going to look at them because I care more about being left out of discussions than getting spoiled. In fact I've found that if I miss an episode as it airs, as I have experienced recently, I'd rather just go ahead and read the spoilers even though I have to wait for the episode to be on youtube to see it.

But that's me, and I know and accept that others feel differently about spoilers and have different definitions of what a spoiler is. To someone who wants to go in without knowing anything about the episode, the fact that some upcoming episode is about a wedding, or that it features a particular uncommon character such as say, Mayor Mare (to pick at random), that would be a spoiler to them. Not to me or you perhaps, but that doesn't matter.

Obviously it's a little annoying when people spoiler-tag things that are completely free of any spoilers of anything. I've probably been guilty of that simply because I forgot, it happens. And if your forget to tag a really minor spoiler it can probably be forgiven and likely no one will even mention it. But I think we should all at least try to be conscious that some of our fellow ponythreaders may want to go in clean, and respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    @Deadly, ignoring my poorly made food comparison, what I was trying to get at is that I think you're worrying about the alicorn issue even though the creators and owners of the show have demonstrated through their treatment of the episode that they don't consider it important. The worry that the episode will disappoint in its story after all the hype is legitimate, but the issue of alicorn lore is just so unlikely to come up or even be important to the people in charge of the show, that rather than worry about it, I think it's fair to just decide on whatever fanon makes you most happy.

Of course, if it turns out that the alicorn thing becomes a major plot point (teehee) I expect this post to get quoted mercilessly to remind me how wrong I was.
    But not getting a canon explanation of something this big could easily be just as bad, or worse than any explanation they might give. I could come up with a million head canons and it still would drive me crazy knowing that it isn't canon and that I'll never know what they hay canon is.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Applesapplesapplesapplesapplesapplesapplesapplesap ples

You know... I really like this idea. This would explain Fluttershy's apparently failed attempt to bake a portal too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    And Pinkie was able to use low-quality ingredients too.
    Like Spike scales instead of dragon scales.
    Well that was just Apple Bloom's theory, we don't know for sure. Wasn't an ingredient in the song like provolone or Newt's eye. Certainly suggestive if true though since Fluttershy should totally have lots of dragon scales around.
    What the heck are you on about?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, problems are there to be solved....

DO YOU HATE SPOILER TAGS?

Well, Deadly's here to help you get rid of them... with a vengeance! Create a new bookmark in your browser and copy the following code as the link/url of said bookmark. Name it something helpful, like "Spoilers B GONE!" or whatever. Then whenever you view a thread here on GitP you just hit the bookmark and BAM! no more spoilers. It also makes sure that no image is wider than 600px, to avoid stretching pages. Neat, huh?

I threw it together quickly just now and I've only tested it in Firefox 11, so let me know if something isn't working perfectly for you.

Code:
    javascript:(function() {var a = document.getElementsByTagName('div') ; for (var i = 0 ; i < a.length ; i++) { if (a[i].className == 'spoiler') { a[i].style.display = 'block' ; }}a = document.getElementsByTagName('img') ; for (var i = 0 ; i < a.length ; i++) { a[i].style.maxWidth = '600px' ; }})() ;

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Talkin 'bout friendship is Witchcraft

specifically this

Also a lot of the apples seems to cut off so that it says 'apple jack' and then
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-03-28 at 05:45 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Pssh. Finale spoilers are so twenty minutes ago. Time to blow all your minds with some SEASON THREE SPOILERS!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

23. - Top - End - #503

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    And I'm not sure I'm convinced by the massive hype Hasbro seems eager to stir up, what with this whole event surrounding the episode. It's like Hasbro wants a little too much from this, instead of just letting the studio deliver us an awesome two-parter as usual. I get the feeling Hasbro has a little too much interest in this, which of course means financially.
    Hasbro's spinning off a whole bunch of toys from this two-parter, which is a no-brainer given the theme of the finale.

Edit: Well, maybe "spinning off" is the wrong verb, because my strong hunch would be that it was them who gave the theme to the animators.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-03-28 at 06:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Pssh. Finale spoilers are so twenty minutes ago. Time to blow all your minds with some SEASON THREE SPOILERS!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is Tara Strong allowed to do that? I mean, so many questions answered in one sentence! Why Scootaloo can't fly, the fate of Applejack's parents, Discord's backstory, the origin of the Elements of Harmony, so many spoilers!
    EDIT: Wait a minute...how old is that script? Are VAs allowed to keep copies of the scripts? Didn't they start recording five months ago? Seems a tad long for 13 episodes....
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-28 at 06:17 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Is Tara Strong allowed to do that? I mean, so many questions answered in one sentence! Why Scootaloo can't fly, the fate of Applejack's parents, Discord's backstory, the origin of the Elements of Harmony, so many spoilers!
    I am just wondering about Spikes distinct lack of biological parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Hasbro's spinning off a whole bunch of toys from this two-parter, which is a no-brainer given the theme of the finale.

Edit: Well, maybe "spinning off" is the wrong verb, because my strong hunch would be that it was them who gave the theme to the animators.
    Exactly what I feel. This smells too much of Hasbro making the decisions. I know they occasionally do so with the show in general, asking for little things to be added or changed, but here it feels like they've taken much more charge and are directing more than usual. Could be wrong, hard to tell, but that's the feeling I get.

27. - Top - End - #507

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quick! Lets figure out a season long plot arc based just on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post

I think they would say the toys and the show were "jointly developed." Still, Hasbro showering the show with attention and marketing can only be good things as far as getting a third full season is concerned. I'm sure it'll happen considering the ratings and how much The Hub must be loving having a breakout hit of its own but I wish we could get confirmation
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

28. - Top - End - #508

Are we sure Tara Strong doesn't live under a bridge made of internets?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    You may very well feel that way, and maybe I'll agree with you on most of it. Personally I don't worry about spoilers. Sometimes I wish Hasbro would release less of them or would at least wait until not too long before the episode airs, but once they're out they're out and I'm going to look at them because I care more about being left out of discussions than getting spoiled. In fact I've found that if I miss an episode as it airs, as I have experienced recently, I'd rather just go ahead and read the spoilers even though I have to wait for the episode to be on youtube to see it.
    I'm much the same I think, I too recognize that truely the only way to avoid this sort of thing is to isolate oneself from discussion entirely. And likewise broadly not willing to do that I dive right in.

I think we'd even find agreement that Hasbro is perhaps overdoing it here.

Yet I think this is something of an artificial situation. Its normal for kids networks to pick things they want to promote and promote them ad nauseum. You couldn't watch CN for a month without getting hit with a Level Up commercial practically everybreak. Her I think its artificial because we broadly speaking do not watch the Hub and FiM has before been somewhat low-key. Ultimately though we cannot have the Hub/Hasbro continue the show without recognizing that they have something here and acting accordingly. And broadly speaking we've heard nothing but that this show is a success for them, not just with us but even with the target demographic.

So it only follows that we will start to get major advertising campaigns for the show now and things like premieres and finale's will be treated as network events. Which will nessecarily involve a lot more trailer/promo material be produced. Therefore "spoiler" material is only going to increase. I have to see this though as coming into line with the stuff I've always seen though, ultimately this isn't going to be our secret little show anymore. Certainly not on the Hub at anyrate.

And with ponythread is already on the unnecessarily high side I feel we increasingly are going to have to actually evaluate what is actually a spoiler. We should not have say just a trailer producing an almost entirely silver page of tags, "just to be sure" or the like. I for now tolerate it on Ponyday but that when an episode airs nothing but spoilers is disscussed and all behind tags... is perhaps the best evidence of their unnecessary nature.

Because when they're new pony material out there it almost instantly becomes the only game in town. If I want to hit something cold, I don't particupate. Where are the active ponythreaders that somehow expect to talk ponies without talking spoilers?

But not getting a canon explanation of something this big could easily be just as bad, or worse than any explanation they might give. I could come up with a million head canons and it still would drive me crazy knowing that it isn't canon and that I'll never know what they hay canon is.
    I don't think we should expect anymore serious world-building from the show. It will still happen but beyond the sort of themes we've been presented its not really within the show's purview to go around patching holes. There is no Myth Arc out there to be had.

And given that Cadence will be the fourth alicorn to appear... well the simplest way is that basically we we wrong in thinking them to be so very unique. Much like Woona was wrong or the assumption that the sisters had always ruled Equestria. Simply because we thought something does not open a gap that needs to be filled.

At this point we really only have problems if the show starts contradicting itself. Which since it hasn't ever said Celestia and Luna were unique god-ponies... well there you are.

30. - Top - End - #510

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Are we sure Tara Strong doesn't live under a bridge made of internets?
    Nah, she lives in a house made of wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show