New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

I know a couple people who opened a foil Geist of St. Traft and were upset because they needed Walking Corpses.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering XIII: What A Horrible Night To Have An Enchantment- Curse

Avacyn Restored Spoilers

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, wow...there's been very few cards spoiled in Avacyn Restored that I haven't thought 'I want this!' right away, and that trend has only continued! A new red planeswalker?

Tibalt is interesting to me, if only because he's a very controlly kind of planeswalker...but he's red. He also seems to be the mortal enemy of Tamiyo and his artwork is friggin' amazing. I wonder what's the story behind him, but more importantly, I want him.

Bonfire of the Damned seems...well it didn't seem like much to me at first. But it's grown on me. Between this and Killing Wave, there seems to be a lot of wide-spread creature hate. Maybe it's to counter-balance all the token generators, but that's besides the point, I still like it.

Cathar's Crusade seems like it'd be...well...the ideal card for a token deck, but at 5 CMC it seems a bit pricey...and looks as if it'd have a lot of 'book-keeping' behind it.

Still Tamiyo and Tibalt both have me wanting this set to come out now, even more then the angels do surprisingly enough (And I really want to get my hands on at least two of each of those...).

Here's a spoiler-related question, but one that doesn't require knowledge of the spoiler to answer. What good Auras are there in Standard right now? More specifically, what good Auras are there to attach to your own creatures?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What colors? Or just any colors?
    Wrath of Giests seems nice, since it is one mana.

So what is the current meta for standard? I only have one day to play FNM and I don't want to be stomped by something popular and cheesey that I don't know.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=239828
    This is what I'm currently running (spoiled again below)
    Spoiler
    Show

Artifacts
    2x Bonehoard
    Creatures
    2x Jace's Archivist
    3x Invisible Stalker
    4x Boneyard Wurm
    4x Kessig Cagebreakers
    4x Splinterfright
    4x Dawntreader Elk
    1x Ghoultree
    Enchantments
    3x Wreath of Geists
    Land
    4x Hinterland Harbor
    9x Island
    7x Forest
    Spells
    3x Ponder
    2x Visions of Beyond
    2x Forbidden Alchemy
    2x Spider Spawning
    2x Artful Dodge
    2x Tracker's Instincts
    Sideboard
    4x Sylvok Replica
    4x Negate
    4x Dissipate
    3x Laboratory Maniac

Obviously the laboratory maniacs can go, they are from a very old version where decking myself was a possibility. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

So I have been tasked with creating a modern deck for under $20.

My first instinct was to work some pauper decks into modern, and I've got Boros and Delver down pretty well, and a Mono-Black rats deck in the works, but I need some other ideas.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I made a fairly competitive red-black modern discard for just slightly above 20 bucks. Blightning is such an amazing card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    What colors? Or just any colors?
    Wrath of Giests seems nice, since it is one mana.
    Well, I ask because of one of the new cards in Avacyn Restored.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bruna.

Whenever she attacks or blocks, you can move any auras on the field to enchant her, plus you can play Auras from your hand/graveyard. It's an interesting ability I wouldn't mind exploiting somehow, but the how is the problem. What good auras are there in Standard to equip to a flying angel?

Or is this an ability that's going to get a lot more mileage in Legacy/Modern/EDH then in Standard?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaaand once again, wizards crushes my dreams for a playable red walker. WHYYYY. Tibalt is terrible. He's just as likely to screw over your hand as he is to net you a good card with his +1, he has no way to protect himself, and he doesn't do anything useful until two turns later, at which point he deals ~4 damage then dies. Do not want.

Oh well. Next set, maybe.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Eh, I've seen much more impressive pulls. I've seen a foil Sorin at the Dark Ascension prerelease, when it was worth $100-200 a pop (and the owner didn't even use sleeves. You could feel all the onlookers wincing when it was shuffled back into the library at the end of the game.), and one ridiculous kid at a draft who opened both Sorin and a foil Snapcaster back to back.

Also, Geist is worth more that $16-20 nowadays. It's at about $25 right now. It's worth more than the boosters.
    Yea i am not the kind of absurdly lucky person, but my boosters ussually are worth more than i gave for them. One of my friends asked me to pick his 4 boosters in exchange for 2 uncommon, he got Clifftop retreat and moorland haunt.

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I know a couple people who opened a foil Geist of St. Traft and were upset because they needed Walking Corpses.
    I would gladly trade with him.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaaand once again, wizards crushes my dreams for a playable red walker. WHYYYY. Tibalt is terrible. He's just as likely to screw over your hand as he is to net you a good card with his +1, he has no way to protect himself, and he doesn't do anything useful until two turns later, at which point he deals ~4 damage then dies. Do not want.

Oh well. Next set, maybe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...You do understand he's a 2 mana Planeswalker, right?

Tibalt is for a more controlling Red deck, and he is subtly powerful. Patrick Chapin has talked at length about how much better Desperate Ravings is than Think Twice. Tibalt lets you turn your draw step into a Ravings instead when you want to. That's a powerful ability, even if not in the raw and obvious way of some other, more expensive Planeswalkers. He's not Liliana or Jace, but he costs 1 less than them. I actually think Tibalt is very interesting, and I look forward to seeing how useful he may or may not prove to be.

Tibalt is a push in an interesting direction. He isn't the kind of Planeswalker that you just jam +1 every turn forever because you can. He isn't the kind of Planeswalker you jam first pick and immediately force his colors. He's a much more complex card. But he is pushed, and pushed hard. 2 mana is very different than 3. I think Tibalt will be a powerful effect to have in Standard.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Tibalt is for a more controlling Red deck, and he is subtly powerful. Patrick Chapin has talked at length about how much better Desperate Ravings is than Think Twice. Tibalt lets you turn your draw step into a Ravings instead when you want to. That's a powerful ability, even if not in the raw and obvious way of some other, more expensive Planeswalkers. He's not Liliana or Jace, but he costs 1 less than them. I actually think Tibalt is very interesting, and I look forward to seeing how useful he may or may not prove to be.

Tibalt is a push in an interesting direction. He isn't the kind of Planeswalker that you just jam +1 every turn forever because you can. He isn't the kind of Planeswalker you jam first pick and immediately force his colors. He's a much more complex card. But he is pushed, and pushed hard. 2 mana is very different than 3. I think Tibalt will be a powerful effect to have in Standard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If nothing else, he's a way to get a new card into your hand if you top-decked and played a Miracle card that turn. Sure, you have to discard something in turn (and it's random), but that's not always a bad thing either. Burning Vengeance is sure to get some mileage out of Tibalt, if nothing else.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If nothing else, he's a way to get a new card into your hand if you top-decked and played a Miracle card that turn. Sure, you have to discard something in turn (and it's random), but that's not always a bad thing either. Burning Vengeance is sure to get some mileage out of Tibalt, if nothing else.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So basically, he's a blue planeswalker for RR.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

*note's new plainswalker, doesn't care*
    yes he gets some minor breaking of the color wheel to give mono-red some speed. Might find some use in titan ramp but I doubt it.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

*note's new plainswalker, doesn't care*
    yes he gets some minor breaking of the color wheel to give mono-red some speed. Might find some use in titan ramp but I doubt it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What colour pie breakage does he have? all his abilities are red.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What colour pie breakage does he have? all his abilities are red.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, methinks someone missed the 'looting has been moved to red' color pie rearranging from a few years back. Though how you could miss it given how much it's been pushed this block (ravings/faithless) is kind of beyond me.

+1 = Desperate Ravings (1/2)
    -4 = Sudden Impact
    -6 = Insurrection

He's 3 red cards mashed together. He's definitely not breaking the color pie.

Personally I'm not a huge fan, but then again I don't like looting and am more of a casual Johnny, so he's not really built for me. He looks to be a spike-y planeswalker, which I'm cool with. Probably will trade away if I pull him, but at least he should trade well.

Bonfire is interesting to me because it's a miracle card that has a lot of tension about using the miracle. If you want to get a big X then you really want to miracle it, but if you're looking to wipe the opponent's board of tokens you might be better off waiting to your second main to get whatever they flash in during combat. The hard cast cost seems very balanced to me, XXR to hit every creature an opponent controls is great against tokens (3 mana board wipe?) and other weenie decks (5 mana board wipes?) but the miracle cost makes it usable all the way up to titans if you get lucky (can you say 7 mana to kill grave titan and all the zombies he's made, any other creatures they have, as well as dealing 6 to your opponent? Not a bad effect at all). It's an interesting card.

15. - Top - End - #435

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The biggest difference is that Desperate Ravings nets you two cards total over its casting and flashback, and digs four cards deep. Tibalt gives you ZERO card advantage by himself, and I would like to stress that he has no way of protecting himself, which, if you will note, is something that nearly every single good planeswalker does. And again, he doesn't DO anything other than muck up your hand for two turns. His -4 is unlikely to do any serious damage against anybody who isn't control, and control just boards in Purges. And his -6 won't ever go off unless you have superior board presence, in which case, since you're playing red, why are they not dead yet? I just don't see him having any meaningful impact.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The biggest difference is that Desperate Ravings nets you two cards total over its casting and flashback, and digs four cards deep. Tibalt gives you ZERO card advantage by himself, and I would like to stress that he has no way of protecting himself, which, if you will note, is something that nearly every single good planeswalker does. And again, he doesn't DO anything other than muck up your hand for two turns. His -4 is unlikely to do any serious damage against anybody who isn't control, and control just boards in Purges. And his -6 won't ever go off unless you have superior board presence, in which case, since you're playing red, why are they not dead yet? I just don't see him having any meaningful impact.

I think the idea is that he protects himself by coming out before most stuff that would threaten him, and that he leaves your mana up in later turns so you can cast other things that protect him.

He's certainly not a 'walker for jamming into any deck you can find because of his raw power. That seems to be what planeswalkers have become recently, and this is a step in a different direction. You really can't compare him directly to the "good" planeswalkers we've gotten used to, because he's pretty clearly not designed to fill their shoes.

As to what exactly that role is and how well he fulfills it, we'll just have to wait and see.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

HEre's a question for EDH deck building and one that might require a bit of thought...how many 'doomsday devices' cards are there in Magic? I want to cram as many of them as possible into my EDH deck (it fits a theme, albeit an odd one, trust me) but so far I only know of three 'natural' doomsday devices. Lux Cannon, Legacy Weapon, and Titan Forge.

I have another in Sun Titan+Darksteel Plate+Planar Collapse, but that's only a doomsday device in that it sets up a Godzilla Threshold on the board that wipes it clean if there's more then four creatures (besides my Sun Titan anyway).

I suppose Worldslayer fits the bill as well, but that's a doomsday trigger that affects me as well so naturally I'm a little less happy with that. So how about it Magic thread? What doomsday devices do you know of in Magic?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Avacyn Discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, due to my recent time on Salvation, I have become really interested in Mono Red Control. Yeah, this interest has been sparked by a custom card, sure, but should I see Tibalt in a draft, or anywhere, I'm taking him. No questions asked.
    2 mana walker that can control all creatures? White Weenie, Green Aggro, and all that, bow before your master.

Meanwhile, I want to discuss the recent winner of You make the card, here on GitP. Overgrown Shrine, by DMofDarkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Overgrown Shrine
    Land - MR
    When you control three or more Land Creatures, you may transform Overgrown Shrine.
    {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
    {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Use this mana only to activate the abilities of lands you control.
    //////////////////////
    Temple of Gaia
    Legendary Land
    Land Creatures you control get +1/+1.
    Non-Creature Lands you control may activate their abilities without paying their mana costs.
    {T}: Target land you control becomes a 2/2 Green Land Creature. (This effect lasts indefinitely)
    He said he found himself trying to build a deck around it. Well, so am I. Whoop.
    I'm going to start with this card, 4 copies, to try and get it (though not play more than one copy, lest all transform ).
    And Crystal Quarry. 3 copies. Because once this transforms, Crystal Quarry is 5 mana, for 0.
    Gonna need some manlands. Mishra's Factory works, though it's kind of costy. Stalking Stones is better, and cheaper. Also going to pick up Raging Ravine, Stirring Wildwood, and Treetop Village. Going to take just 2 of each.
    Also going to want a way to turn other lands into creatures. Living Lands seems just right. May cost a buck or two, but worth it. Four of those would work. 2 Genju of the Cedars' seem quite nice. And if we don't already have crystal quarry out when Overgrown Shrine transforms, not trying for Genju of the Realm would be dumb. We'll include 2 of them. And 2 Vastwood Zendikons, which just so happen to be able to be cast for WUBRG, due to it's 4G cost.

Right, what do we have so far?
    Creatures (0)
    0x anything
    Artifacts (0)
    0x anything
    Enchantments/sorceries/instants (10)
    4x Living Lands
    2x Genju of the Cedars
    2x Genju of the Real,
    2x Vastwood Zendikons
    Anything else, besides lands (0)
    0x anything
    Lands (13+?)
    ?x Forest
    4x Overgrown Shrine//Temple of Gaia
    3x Crystal Quarry
    ?x Mishras Factory
    ?x Stalking Stones
    2x Raging Ravine
    2x Stirring Wildwood
    2x Treetop Village
    Well, that's a nice start. Since we'll have atleast 1 reliable WUBRG, let's include 2 Fist of Suns, which I was planning on all along. Since we'll fill out with Forests, we have all the lands we need now, so it's time for some Aggro, accel, and tutoring/deck searching. Fyndhorn Elves can get costly, but not terribly so. And the value of acceleration it provides is almost all we need for accel. Whirling Dervish is a small creature that can get huge. The famous Llurgoyf will find it's place in this deck (graveyard counting, in aggro? Nice). 4 of each of those three is sufficient. Let's include 3 giant growths, too.
    Lets put in 2 Child of Alaras. Try to see the advantage of having a cheap source of WUBRG, plus having most of your creatures being lands, and destroying just "nonland"s. And while it's probably one of the most expensive cards I've linked so far, it would really scare the... uh... the uh... Everything out of an opponent that you'd keep everything, while they'd be stuck with just... land. No artifacts, no creatures, enchantments, anything. IF they tried to get rid of it.
    It would be nice to include a certain hydra god costing WWUUBBRRGG... but Progenitus costs about $10-20. So we won't. We'll include Maelstrom Archangel instead. 2 copies. Which is more costly than Child of Alara, but still not $10 each yet. Allosaurus Riders are dangerously strong in a deck where your key resource is always going to be lands. Let's put 3 in. We can use Fist of Suns to grab Artisan of Kozilek easy. And it can cast Autochthon Wurm easy, too. Actually, that's quite terrifying. We'll include 2 each of those 2.
    And we still need extra draw, or land-play. Borderland Ranger helps with finding forests for us. 3 copies of it go in. I'm taking 4 Caravan Vigils, and casting them after combat. By including Centaur Rootcaster, I make the opponent worry about trying to block, every turn. Despite the price, 2 Collective Voyages would really help; Yes, they get lands, too, but if they are greedy, I get to be too.

How much is that so far?
    Creatures (26+?)
    4x Fyndhorn Elves
    4x Whirling Dervish
    4x Llurgoyf
    2x Child of Alara
    2x Maelstrom Archangel
    3x Allosaurus Riders
    2x Artisan of Kozilek
    2x Autochthon Wurm
    3x Borderland Ranger
    ?x Centaur Rootcaster
    Artifacts (2)
    2x Fist of Suns
    Enchantments/sorceries/instants (19)
    4x Living Lands
    2x Genju of the Cedars
    2x Genju of the Realm
    2x Vastwood Zendikons
    4x Caravan Vigil
    2x Collective voyage
    3x Giant Growth
    0x anything
    Lands (13+?)
    ?x Forest
    4x Overgrown Shrine//Temple of Gaia
    3x Crystal Quarry
    ?x Mishras Factory
    ?x Stalking Stones
    2x Raging Ravine
    2x Stirring Wildwood
    2x Treetop Village
    So that's 45 non lands, 13 lands, plus a couple more nonlands and however many lands. Gotta cut down.
    We don't need as many giant growths/living lands. We don't need as many shrines (3 will do). Some creatures can be cut; the dervish and goyf have too many. We only need one giant wurm. We can reduce the number of Allosaurus Riders we have. Genju of the Realms is lowered. We can cut a zendicon. And remove the wildwoods and ravines.

Then we can decide how many of each "?" we want. I'd say 2 rootcasters, 2 factories, 1 stalking stones, and 10 forests.
    Creatures (23)
    4x Fyndhorn Elves
    2x Whirling Dervish
    3x Llurgoyf
    2x Child of Alara
    2x Maelstrom Archangel
    2x Allosaurus Riders
    2x Artisan of Kozilek
    1x Autochthon Wurm
    3x Borderland Ranger
    2x Centaur Rootcaster
    Artifacts (2)
    2x Fist of Suns
    Enchantments/sorceries/instants (14)
    2x Living Lands
    2x Genju of the Cedars
    1x Genju of the Realm
    1x Vastwood Zendikons
    4x Caravan Vigil
    2x Collective voyage
    2x Giant Growth
    0x anything
    Lands (11+10)
    10x Forest
    3x Overgrown Shrine//Temple of Gaia
    3x Crystal Quarry
    2x Mishras Factory
    1x Stalking Stones
    2x Treetop Village
    23+2+14+11+10=25+25+10=50+10=60

Yes, this was silly of me. I created a deck centering around a made-up card. But I enjoyed it.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    What doomsday devices do you know of in Magic?
    Darksteel Reactor springs to mind. It'll draw a lot of hate, though.

The Fifth Dawn Station cycle is pretty fun. They can make combos with other cards fairly easily, but also work if you have all four of them out at once. Makes for a fun "Assembling the Doomsday Device" feel.

And let's not forget the most terrifying doomsday device in all of Magic. The card that inspires fear in players everywhere. The single most powerful force in the multiverse. That's right. Myr Battlesphere
    I am a forum poster. This is my signature.

G-Man by the wonderful Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

Hextech Singed by the amazingly talented (and handsome) Thormag
    Steam Profile

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Frankelshtein View Post
    The Fifth Dawn Station cycle is pretty fun. They can make combos with other cards fairly easily, but also work if you have all four of them out at once. Makes for a fun "Assembling the Doomsday Device" feel.
    Doesn't the art line up on that cycle for extra assembly bonus?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jace Beleren was an amazing Planeswalker who protected himself very poorly, only doing so by being bigger than most of the threats he was likely to face. He was an important card for blue decks before the printing of the far better and clearly broken Mind Sculptor, and after his banning was still around, drawing cards.

Turning your draw step into Desperate Ravings instead is not a non-bonus. It's not a card advantage bonus, no, but it adds card selection. It's still irrelevant. When comparing Think Twice to Desperate Ravings, there is no card advantage change, but there is a great card selection difference. Similarly, comparing a normal draw step to one without Tibalt is a comparison on a card selection level.

You're comparing Desperate Ravings to Tibalt. I am not, and for the obvious reason of "these cards don't do the same thing" as you have demonstrated. I am comparing Tibalt to a normal draw step in the same way Think Twice is compared to Desperate Ravings and showing that Tibalt's ability is a beneficial one to have.

Aren't you winning if they spend Celestial Purge on Tibalt? He isn't going to kill them, as you've so stated. I fail to see the issue with this problem. If Tibalt is your only red permanent, for example, boarding in Celestial Purge is probably just wrong (by your assertion of this card being terrible).

A slow, controlling red deck may not be throwing tons of damage at its opponents. A slow, controlling red deck could very well put an Insurrection to good use. And by the same token, if your red deck is doing that, how much extra damage do you need to get out of his second ability? 2? 4? If you play him on turn 2, it isn't that impossible to imagine him dealing 3 or more damage on turn 4. A lot of decks even in current standard aren't emptying their hands that fast.

I think estimations of Tibalt will underestimate him because he isn't just a powerful spell. You do have to think on how to use him. He isn't a Planeswalker you can just jam down and win with. But Planeswalkers have proven their power doing simple things. I think Tibalt will do that as well.

22. - Top - End - #442

Spoiler
    Show
    Jace Beleren was an amazing Planeswalker who protected himself very poorly, only doing so by being bigger than most of the threats he was likely to face. He was an important card for blue decks before the printing of the far better and clearly broken Mind Sculptor, and after his banning was still around, drawing cards.

Turning your draw step into Desperate Ravings instead is not a non-bonus. It's not a card advantage bonus, no, but it adds card selection. It's still irrelevant. When comparing Think Twice to Desperate Ravings, there is no card advantage change, but there is a great card selection difference. Similarly, comparing a normal draw step to one without Tibalt is a comparison on a card selection level.

You're comparing Desperate Ravings to Tibalt. I am not, and for the obvious reason of "these cards don't do the same thing" as you have demonstrated. I am comparing Tibalt to a normal draw step in the same way Think Twice is compared to Desperate Ravings and showing that Tibalt's ability is a beneficial one to have.

Aren't you winning if they spend Celestial Purge on Tibalt? He isn't going to kill them, as you've so stated. I fail to see the issue with this problem. If Tibalt is your only red permanent, for example, boarding in Celestial Purge is probably just wrong (by your assertion of this card being terrible).

A slow, controlling red deck may not be throwing tons of damage at its opponents. A slow, controlling red deck could very well put an Insurrection to good use. And by the same token, if your red deck is doing that, how much extra damage do you need to get out of his second ability? 2? 4? If you play him on turn 2, it isn't that impossible to imagine him dealing 3 or more damage on turn 4. A lot of decks even in current standard aren't emptying their hands that fast.

I think estimations of Tibalt will underestimate him because he isn't just a powerful spell. You do have to think on how to use him. He isn't a Planeswalker you can just jam down and win with. But Planeswalkers have proven their power doing simple things. I think Tibalt will do that as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    My biggest issue with that is that it's NOT card selection because you're discarding at random. If you got to choose the discard, then yes, it would be an excellent +1. And to be fair, you can easily work around that by building in such a way as that whatever ends up in your yard is beneficial, but I don't feel there are enough cards you want in your yard yet to make that sort of deck worth building. My worry here comes in because unlike little Jace, he's not actually card advantage and he's not in a color that traditionally lends itself well to control. Right now, I don't see a home for him in any decks, so I'm wary of saying he's going to be good.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see why Red couldn't be a fine control color. It has a lot of tools now, I think it could be fine. Tibalt is a great card for them.

I mean, if you don't want to discard, you can just not use his +1.

Edit: Tibalt does not play like any Planeswalker previously. He is a very, very different card. He isn't the card you can just jam in your deck and say "this seems good." He isn't the kind of Planeswalker that even probably goes in the general archetypes we're used to. But he is a card with an effect that does something significant. I think he will see play, and I think he will be significant. He just isn't the kind of Planeswalker we're all used to.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-14 at 12:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    My biggest issue with that is that it's NOT card selection because you're discarding at random. If you got to choose the discard, then yes, it would be an excellent +1. And to be fair, you can easily work around that by building in such a way as that whatever ends up in your yard is beneficial, but I don't feel there are enough cards you want in your yard yet to make that sort of deck worth building. My worry here comes in because unlike little Jace, he's not actually card advantage and he's not in a color that traditionally lends itself well to control. Right now, I don't see a home for him in any decks, so I'm wary of saying he's going to be good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, the "random" is kind of the sticking point as far as this guy's usability. Without it he would, among other things, be an immediate three-of in my Madness deck.

Now, as far as ways in red for not-quite-selection to be useful... Pyromancer Ascension anyone?
    Sure, that application would still be better if you got to choose the discard, but Ascension isn't picky about what you're discarding with Tibalt as long as it's an instant or sorcery and you're running four of it.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-04-14 at 12:44 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

In more obviously exciting news:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yup. They did it. I'm trying to imagine what the RW and GU ones do.

26. - Top - End - #446

Spoiler
    Show
    Now THAT is a land. WOW is that a land. Why couldn't some of the other effect lands have been that good? I'm looking at you, Grim Backwoods...
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Now THAT is a land. WOW is that a land. Why couldn't some of the other effect lands have been that good? I'm looking at you, Grim Backwoods...
    Spoiler
    Show

Indeed, it's good. Not as good as some custom made lands I've seen... but more balanced.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Anybody have any advice for an extended legal Allies deck? My cousins and I built one a long time ago, U/W/G, that I was thinking of turning into something better.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Anybody have any advice for an extended legal Allies deck? My cousins and I built one a long time ago, U/W/G, that I was thinking of turning into something better.
    Kazandu Blademaster + Hada Freeblade. Possibly also Talus Paladin, since it gains you some ridiculous life, as well.

Now that that's out of the way, some basic advice: You need fixing, and you need 2-drop Allies. The deck really needs to lay down an ally each and every turn, and possibly several per turn. Oran-Rief Survivalist is great, Jwari Shapeshifter is a copy of Kazandu Blademaster, which is amazing, and Bojuka Brigand is also a bear. Umara Raptor is more expensive, but has flying. Finally, Kabira Evangelists make all of your creatures unblockable, untargetable, and gets rid of auras. It is a rather good finisher. Finally, Join the Ranks gives you instant speed pump, blockers, and possibly protection from two colors and lifelink to all your creatures.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Would Call of the Kindred be good?
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1