New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: New Frontier IC I - Shadow and Sand

"Fly, Whitefeather, fly! Get yourself out of harm's way!" Armaril orders as he reaches to his belt and pulls out a wand from its holster. "Get ready to be hit, folks," he mutters, holding his wand of Magic Missile 1. He studies the four new-comers intently, seeing what they're wearing (what kind of armor), and to make sure that they are acting menecingly.
    Whitefeather takes off imeadiately, flying to 100 feet in the direction of the ocean to avoid as much danger as possible.
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2012-03-28 at 10:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Armaril: From your vantage point, you can see the four warriors making their way directly towards you. As they approach, you can see them more distinctively. All male humanoids, they stand at six to six and a half feet tall. They have hairy skin, feral eyes, and flat noses and chins. They seem to be wearing mostly light armor, leather and chain, rather than plate. Their demeanor seems rather curious. However, their weapons are all drawn and loaded, and upon seeing you, their expressions harden significantly. One of them steps forward, brandishing an exotic-looking longsword and yelling in some guttural tongue that none of you seem to understand. From their position, they cannot see Kassad sneaking up to flank them from behind a small sand dune to your far left.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kassad, I believe you get a surprise round, assuming the wizard does nothing to blow your cover.

Old-Steel: From behind you, the miners rush forward to try and engage the creature. However, it manages to get a good solid sword swing this time, cleaving one of the workers in two and injuring another. Blood spurts from the two halves of what used to be a man, coating the walls of the tunnel with crimson. The creature laughs, the deep rumbling of prehistoric rocks emerging from its open maw. However, its sadistic glee is cut short as one of the miners also manages to land a hit on it, knocking it on the head. Moving back farther this time, it retreats towards what looks to be the exit to a larger cavern, nearly twenty feet away. Considering its wounds, and the fact that it is wearing full plate, this seems an impressive feat of strength.

Spoiler
    Show
    It does provoke an attack of opportunity from you, for moving out of your threatened area. So you can make your rolls in the OOC, or spoilered here.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-05-10 at 07:39 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #63

"We were aboard a ship that sank in the storm that just passed. We mean no harm, but we shall defend ourselves if provoked!" Armaril responds, hoping that they could avoid conflict and relaxing very slightly.
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Aaron stands up and draws his bow with all the strength he has.

We would prefer it if we could all go our own way.

Spoiler
    Show

Ready an action to fire my arrow at the first opponent that makes a threatening move, or my next round, whichever comes first (range of my bow is 110 feet).

If one of these is applicable:
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+9)[10]
    Knowledge Religion: (1d20+9)[26]
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

5. - Top - End - #65

Armaril risks a quick glance towards the voice, and his eyes widen when he sees Aaron ready to fire his bow, and he quickly turns back to look that the four new-comers. "Or, we could attack first and ask questions later against an opponent we have no information on, potentially days from any kind of help!" He says angrily to himself in Elven.
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2012-03-28 at 01:11 AM.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Old-Steel: Your counterattack scratches the creature's plate, just as it moves backwards. However, it does not seem to do any good, drawing no blood as it makes its way to the cavern entrance. It stops, drawing breath slowly, before letting out a fearsome howl that permeates the stale air before chilling you to the bone. Of the two remaining miners at your side, one of them is already staggering under the force of his wound. As he hears the howl, he is visibly weighted down, as if under some kind of supernatural pressure. Kade, however, remains fresh and ready for combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe that you must now roll a Will save, of DC 15, or become fatigued.

Aaron, Armaril: As the creatures see Aaron ready his bow, they tense up, brandishing their weapons threateningly. Those with swords get in front of the bowmen behind, so they have a chance to draw and aim unimpeded by Aaron's projectile. As they do so, you can see a sort of military precision and lack of visible shock that comes with long hours of experienced drilling. These creatures, whatever they are, have been trained to fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaron, I guess you can take your shot first. Kassad can still get his surprise round, as well. Everyone roll initiative here, though. If Rogue does not respond for a while, then we will proceed. Holice, your character will be there within another round, so your character and the survivors should be included in the initiative count.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #67

Kassad

Seeing the tensing and the inevitable signs of coming battle, Kassad leaps into action. He activates his Arcanist's gloves, and chants the mystical syllables of his spell and throws it at the bowman nearest him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+4)[11] Touch attack with Orb (1d20+5)[23] If it hits, damage (2d8)[5] If the bowman is still unaware of me, he also takes an additional [roll]1d6[/roll] sneak attack damage
    Last edited by Roguenewb; 2012-03-28 at 07:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Old-Steel charges the beast, and slices at it's head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charging, Provoking an AoO. Attack: (1d20+9)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[7]
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Seeing that through his doings the others are now in danger he almost slaps himself, after that he takes aim and loses one arrow at the creatures in front of the archers, knowing that those would be the most dangerous ones.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[24] for (1d8+1)[9]

If Threat:
    (1d20+5)[7] for (2d8+2)[10] extra damage

Initiative:
    (1d20+3)[16]

Readied action, seeing as going into that stance will be seen as hostile

After that he moves 30' forward towards Armaril and shoots another arrow at the one he tried to shoot before this turn.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[19] for (1d8+1)[9]
    If Threat:
    (1d20+5)[19] for (2d8+2)[6] extra damage

I'm sorry Elf, but apparantly this could not be evaded.

Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Armaril, Kassad: As Kassad's acid attack manages to scorch the skin of one of the bowmen, Aaron's arrow catches one of the swordsmen in between the eyes. It crumples, dark blood mixing with the warmth of the sand. A second arrow once its down finishes it for good. There are only two of the humanoids are left now, preparing for their next attack.

Old-Steel: As you move, the monster thrusts its blade at you, in order to try and interrupt your charge. However, its wounds seem to be catching up to it, as it flails around aimlessly, missing you completely and needlessly tiring itself out. For the third time, your attack does not manage to pierce the beast's full plate, leaving yet another shallow scratch on the metal. Face to face, the two of you seem to be on an equal footing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, now it is time for a real AoO.
    Here is the attack roll: (1d20+11)[12]
    And the damage, if it hits: (1d12+7)[11]
    Edit: and the first natural one of the game!

Beredin: You and the survivors manage to make it to to Armaril's position. At the sight of the attackers, the woman cries out in joy, drawing a dagger. The dwarf stands back, seemingly waiting for something to happen. The wizard stands ready to face the humanoids, wand in hand. However, between the respective interventions of Aaron and Kassad, they seem to be well on their way towards early graves.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-03-28 at 10:30 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

11. - Top - End - #71

Armaril is surprised by the military-like precision of their foes, and almost as surprised by the rapidness and effectiveness of his fellow survivors attacks. Thinking quickly, Armaril decides to take out the largest threat to himself, the remaining archer.
    He points his wand at his target and shoots a small missle of force at it, doing (1d4+1)[5] damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    49 Charges left in Wand (magic missile 1)
    Of course that's what I pulled out origanally!
    Last edited by Hbgplayer; 2012-03-28 at 10:42 AM.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Kassad charges the Bowman he threw acid at, while drawing the dagger from his right wrist, and stabs yye knife in his right hand wildly at the humanoid.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack(1d20+9)[10] damagae (1d4+3)[5]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Finally making it back to Armaril, Beredin stops to take a deep breath and regain his composure. Between the shipwreck, the swim to shore and now the running in the sand, the weight of his armor has really taken a toll on him.

Looking out at the remaining incoming monsters, Beredin thanks the gods that he has a bit of time before they are on top of him.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Since talking is a free action

After seeing the archer and the swordsman go down Aaron looks a bit sad.

Last chance to surrender and go your own way. We will help your fallen mates, as far as they can be helped and send you on the way. No hard feelings. I apologize if my actions triggered these events. I do not want to shed more blood, I am tired. So please tell me, what's your choice?

Than he sinks into thought.

Making friends allready, one of them probably can't be saved, the other still has a chance, hopefully they go for it. On the other hand, they went down very easily, maybe they don't deserve to live.

Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin: From where the three of you stand, it looks as though the humanoids will not be bothering you for much longer. Armaril's force missile crashes right into the second archer, knocking him right backwards and causing considerable blunt force trauma. Meanwhile, Kassad has forsaken his hiding place, moving in to flank the goblins, but his dagger swings are wild, and he misses several to times. However, the last swordsman seems to be very much alive and unharmed. Knowing a hopeless situation and the value of a tactical retreat, he starts to run in the opposite direction, westward towards the sand dunes. Unless he is shot at range, it looks as though he might escape over the lip of sand.

Old-Steel: The beast, still in pain, is beginning to fade. It is bleeding profusely, its breathing heavy. A sheen of sweat runs down its dark hide, and its eyes fix on yours, a bitter maelstrom of mettle and ferocity mirrored within them. Kade move it to attack again, dagger in hand, but to no avail. The monster does not even have to move - the blade simply smashes against its formidable armor, denting the weapon considerably while leaving the plate largely unharmed. All of a sudden, the eyes of the beast widen in pain as an arrow sprouts from its back.
    "Die for Arrakesh, you monster!" Behind the monster, you can see a large cavern. Several tunnels branch off in different directions. The cavern itself seems to be natural, complete with an obsidian obelisk akin to the material from the chamber. However, there seem to be more miners in the area, another three that seem to have survived the initial entry of the beast. Two of them carry bows, and another is approaching it from behind with a spear.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-03-29 at 07:25 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Knowing full well that he is in no condition to chase down the retreating warrior, Beredin turns his attention to his motley crew of shipwreck survivors and asks, "Is everyone ok? Is anyone hurt?"

We need to get moving in case that creature brings back more of his kind. I really hope that no one here has a drive for vengeance and hopes to track him down.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

That's not what I call surrender. Aaron says and he moves 30' towards the running guy, nocks an arrow, aims and shoots.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[8] for (1d8+1)[4]

If threat:
    (1d20+5)[25] for (2d8+2)[14] extra

Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #78

Armaril, worried that the now-running humanoid will bring back reinforcements, fires off another missile from his wand at him, doing (1d4+1)[3] damage. He then turns to the remaining people, he says: "If you stay put, we'll fix you up as best we can, but don't try anything, or you'll face the same fate as your friend."
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin: Armaril's second missile soars through the air before hitting the humanoid in the back. It stumbles, obviously wounded by the impact, but manages to stay on its feet. The survivors seem to have caught their breaths. The dusky-skinned woman in particular seems to have come back into her own.
    "I'm fine for now. The name is Lyra Sharr, but my friends just call me Lyra Small-Shadow." She looks around again, taking in your arid surroundings, the corpses of the creatures in the sand, and the remaining humanoid running away.
    "Hmm. Those look like hobgoblins-" She is cut off by a sharp laugh from the dwarf. He seems to stagger once, his eyes rolling back into his head, before fainting.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-03-29 at 12:56 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #80

Kassad

Kassad stares after the retreating hobgoblin. He is far to tired to take off on a wild goose chase across the wilderness. He sees the dwarf go down, and rushes over to try to offer what little aid he can.

"Hello? Can you hear me? Are you okay?" Kassad says, looking frantically back and forth to the other people around.

Spoiler
    Show
    If someone else does a heal check, Kassad aids (1d20)[19] If no one else tries, that's his own heal check.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

"From what I could see, that arrow hit him square in the back. Even if he doesn't die, let's hope it was enough to slow him down until we get out of here."

"What was it the Raven said, a town to the south? Perhaps that's the way we should head?"

While waiting for an answer, Beredin, makes sure all his gear is secure, his armor is intact and comfortable and sheathes his sword. Picking up his spear, he leans on it slightly and looks towards the group.

"Throw some water on that dwarf as well, we need to get him up and moving, unless one of you feels like carrying the fella", he says with a chuckle.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

I think the choice has been made for us. We need to leave now. But first we will see if these hobgoblins had anything of value with them, especially waterskins or other fluids.

Aaron moves towards the three bodies and starts searching them. While he pretends to chekc for vitals, if he feels that someones heart is still pumping he uses his charnel touch to coup du grace them. Doing this will be done as invisible as possible.
    Last edited by Duskranger; 2012-03-30 at 12:19 AM.

Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Casually turning to watch Aaron, Beredin suddenly yells out, "No!!"

Too late to act, but none the less infuriated with Aaron, Beredin walks over to Aaron. "That was not necessary, he was of no harm to anyone, and while he may or may not have been a savage beast, you could have at least afforded him a painless death."

Staring at Aaron and in a whisper only he can hear, "If you and I are going to be traveling partners I think it best for you to curb your reckless nature, unless there is no other choice."
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-03-29 at 02:21 PM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

What do you mean with reckless, I am checking for vitals, sadly all these creatures are gone from this world. Besides that, since they are dead I find it more usefull to check what they have with them, because maybe we can use it. We have no rations, nor water, which means in the desert to be certain death. If necessary we maybe even need to drink their blood. No, I won't enjoy this, but I will survive by any means necessary youngling. If you are complaining about my attack, I warned them not to be hostile, they went into formation, ready to attack, that was hostility.

Searchroll if needed to find stuff on the bodies.
    Spoiler
    Show

If needed: searchcheck: (1d20+3)[7]

Things Aaron is interested in: Rations, arrows, waterskins.

This is mostly to survive.

Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #85

"I wouldn't say that we don't have any rations, I have- or, well, I had five days worth of trail rations, before I decided to go for a swim, anyway," Armaril responds, still watching the retreating figure, before snapping out of it and opening his bags to take inventory on what he still has. Mentally, he recalls Whitefeather to give him some instructions.
    When the bird lands in the sand infront of the elf, Armaril says "Could you keep an eye on that guy and make sure that he doesn't begin to comeback with any reinforcements? And keep out of danger's way, please."
    "Absolutely," Whitefeather says in response of the scouting mission, but in response to the keep out of danger request, "Naw, I think I'm going to dive right in the thick of things and fight it out like a muscle head! Duh!"
    "Ha! Keep safe."
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Well guys I found some rations and some weapons if anyone thinks he can use these, go ahead. I take two of the ration and three arrows to replenish my quiver. The rest is for you. Those without ranged capabilities I do suggest taking the bow. Now let's move shall we. They were dead when I looked so we can't do anythin for them anymore. How is our fainted guy?

Aaron looks like he is taking command of the situation, trying to get the others to get away from here as soon as possible.

Lewis Carroll

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Old-Steel: The monster, staggering to one side, seems even in its last moments to be desperately trying to keep fighting. However, its body gives in and it slumps to the floor, clearly dead.
    "Remarkable," says Kade beside you. Over the course of the battle, she did not accrue even a scratch. Her face is still frozen in the ecstatic fire of open combat, her eyes wide and her breathing shallow. She does not even look at her dead comrades in arms, although you can hear them approaching from across the cavern.
    "It never gave in - it fought right up to its death. What kind of being is this?"

Armaril: As Whitefeather tracks down the remaining scout, you can feel a raw joy through your empathic link, that turns rapidly into a general apprehension. The link fades for a moment, as the raven flies out of the one mile range. However, it soon returns, followed swiftly by the bird itself. As it lands on your shoulder, it describes the situation to you. The last hobgoblin scout seems to have made it back into the encampment from whence he came. With the storm subsiding, the raven got a much better look at the proceedings below. The encampment is being roused for a battle. Nearly a score of hobgoblin troops are based there: including those four scouts, it would have made an even twenty. There is also a commander, whose equipment is of much better quality and seems to be more intelligent than the others. Whitefeather also saw other things: a small wooden container, unmarked and left out in the sun, and a column of dust from the south-west, heralding more beings.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-02 at 07:04 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

Old-steel stares at the beast with his unblinking eyes, after a moment he replies. "Marruspawn." He explains to himself as much as Kade. Old-Steel then searches the corpse for anything useful.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Good news or bad news from your bird? As in where will we go? Aaron asks Armaril while putting on his backpack, taking three arrows from the dead goblins and grabbing two packages of rations.

Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #90

Kassad

Kassad steps up from the dwarf, having been unable to awaken him with his limited healing abilities. He turns to Armaril and Beredin "Could any of you help this poor dwarf? If not, I'll try to carry him with us...but don't hope for much." Kassad says to the gathered party.

Kassad starts to lift the unconscious dwarf. Hit takes every bit of his might to get the man across his shoulders and starts towards Armaril and Beredin.
    Last edited by Roguenewb; 2012-04-01 at 02:47 PM.