New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: New Frontier IC I - Shadow and Sand

Beredin

Just a little bit closer, Beredin thinks as he gets his spear ready to launch at the first enemy he sees within range.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack at first enemy within range:
    (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage if hits:
    (1d8+3)[11]
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Berin - A Two Rivers Archer
    Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron, Armaril, Beredin, Kassad: The goblins approach quickly, making it into range of your respective weapons with some haste. Armaril's magic missile collides with one specimen, tearing into its armor and stopping it in it's tracks. Barely standing, it readies its blade to charge at the next opportunity. Beredin's javelin toss is good, but at the last moment, the intended target steps to the side. In its turn, the hobgoblin lets loose an arrow, aiming for the paladin. The other eight creatures are not far behind, the leader standing at the rear. Indeed, several others are drawing their bows and releasing. Two of their arrows fall wide, but the third manages to hit the wizard, drawing blood. The space between the two groups has diminished greatly, to easily less than 60 feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Volley (1 to Beredin, 2 to Aaron, and 3 to Armaril)

Attack 1: (1d20+2)[5]
    Damage 1: (1d8)[1]

Attack 2: (1d20+2)[6]
    Damage 2: (1d8)[4]

Attack 3: (1d20+2)[18]
    Damage 3: (1d8)[4]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-09 at 08:00 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

"GODS DARN IT! THAT FRAKING HURT!" Armaril groans in pain when the arrow hits him. Real smart, Armaril, forgetting to protect yourself from arrows; real smart indeed! He rages at himself as he drops the wand he's holding, opens his spell component pouch, and casts Protection from Arrows on himself.
    He then readies his crossbow and aims at the hobgoblin that he hit before, readying to shoot it if it closes within 40 feet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readied Attack:(1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (1d8)[6]
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124

Kassad stays low, waiting for someone to approach one of his new companions, or even better, run past him unaware.

5. - Top - End - #125

Kassad leaps free from cover, stepping up to the hobgoblin that fired at Beredin. "Artenia!" Kassad shouts as he stabs with the dagger gripped white-knuckled his right hand. At the last second he realizes the danger, and shifts his body position to get himself into a better defensive stance for the oncoming arrows...

Spoiler
    Show
    Kassad moves (up to 30 feet) to the hobbo that shot at Beredin, and attacks defensively with his dagger. (1d20+3)[10] His AC will be 19, 21 against evil creatures (proc evil)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

As the hobgoblins make their charge, Aaron's arrow makes its way into one poor humanoid's heart. It is knocked out immediately, its limp body crumpling to the sand below. Moreover, Armaril's arrow knocks out another one, leaving the force with six attackers, including the leader. However, two of them have drawn wicked swords and even as their comrades fall, make their way to Kassad's position and attempt to hit him head on. Both of the blades are turned aside by the aura of the spellthief's magic, their blows unsuccessful. The leader barks out a command, as the remaining four goblins fan out, notching new arrows to their bowstrings and readying to fire on Beredin and Armaril.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1:(1d20+2)[9]
    Damage 1: (1d8+1)[2]

Attack 2: (1d20+2)[13]
    Damage 2: (1d8+1)[5]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-12 at 09:31 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #127

Armaril looks mildly surprised at the effectivness of his shot, as it has been a long while since he has taken any time at all to practice it, and gives a half-amused chuckle as he tosses his crossbow behind him. He then notices the two Hobgoblins attacking Kassad with those nasty looking swords. Oh no you don't! You're not taking out anybody! He thinks to himself as he casts his prepared magic missile at the two attacking hobgoblins, striking both with a ball of force and doing (1d4+1)[4] to each. He then crouches down and picks up the wand he dropped moments ago.
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

He moves towards the goblins, taking care that all hobgoblins are in a area around him.
    Slowly he weaves in the air with his hands. When he is done, his hands in front of him make the air around him ripple in a 50' area.

Spoiler
    Show

He casts Bane. Every enemy that fails a DC14 check gains a -1 on attacks and -1 on saves against fear.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblins are severely traumatized by Aaron's curse. Milling about, several of them break ranks. However, the leader has managed to resist the effects, as has one of the hardier swordsmen attacking Kassad. The large, armored commander moves forward, lunging with his blade towards the man. His face is twisted in a feral grimace as he attempts in vain to avenge his men. Like his subordinates, he misses the adventurer, his blade flailing wildly through the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[4]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-12 at 12:32 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

10. - Top - End - #130

Kassad grins wildly as the protective field of his magic holds his foes at bay. It's really happening...I can do this!.

Kassad channels a tiny thread of magic and attempts to distract the large leader.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kassad casts distract assailant the leader, and he does so defensively as a swift action, concentration check, (1d20+6)[9] The leader must make a DC 14 will save.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Not waiting for the creatures to shoot some more arrows at him, Beredin goes on the offensive.

With his fresh spear in hand, Beredin charges the nearest creature.

"If they want a battle, lets give it to them!"

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[16]
    if crit (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage (1d8+3)[10]
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Kassad's magic is quite effective - the commander pauses and begins to stagger, seemingly inhibited by the spellthief's incantation. Meanwhile, Beredin's charge has completely incapacitated one of the other archers, knocking him out immediately. There are now three combat-ready hobgoblins left on the battlefield. However, with the lack of support from the leader, they quickly break ranks. They begin to retreat back towards their encampment, the archers leading the way and the swordsman moving behind them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rogue, I believe Kassad gets an AoO for the melee combatant leaving his threatened area, but after that, you will have to catch them/hit them at range.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #133

"Oh, no you don't, you're not going anywhere!" Armaril exclaims as he sees the group begin to retreat. He quickly aims at one of the archers and fires off another magic missile, doing (1d4+1)[5] damage.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Armaril: The archer, already wounded by your previous magic barrage, collapses under the weight of your arcane assault. It swiftly joins the other corpses, rotting under the glare of the newfound sun. There are two humanoids fleeing now, and the leader (who is paying little heed to current events and seems to be talking to himself in his native tongue).

Spoiler
    Show
    You really like that spell, don't you?
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-16 at 10:57 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

He swiftly nocks another arrow and fires it at one of the fleeing gobbies.\

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[18] for (1d8+1)[9] damage

You please take care of the others, I will keep an eye on this area.

Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Watching the creatures fleeing, Beredin grabs his spears and wipes the blood from them.

Yelling back to his party, "Is everyone ok?"

Looking down at the creature below him, "This one might still be alive, anyone know what this thing is, and what language it speaks?"
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

The last fleeing goblin also gets an arrow from Aaron's bow towards him.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[6] for (1d8+1)[9]

Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

The force is in complete disarray now. Between Aaron's volley of arrows, Armaril's magic missiles, and Beredin's charge, the hobgoblins are down to two men. However, the commander seems to have regained some of his footing. He is visibly upset at the loss of his men, but he does not attack any of you, instead dropping his sword. He knows when he is beaten.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Armaril, you get the last one, every one that does not surrenders himself will be shot. Than he turns to the hobgoblin leader.

You can save your man, by telling him to surrender. If you wish at least. If not, well, he will die. Besides that, we could use some information. Are you willing to cooperate with us sir Hobgoblin?

Than he looks to his allies.

Well, one of us should probably go to the caravan to ask them how they are, and tell them that we have caught the rest of the bandits. Who volunteers for that task?

Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #140

Kassad

Just as the Hobgoblin commander starts to gather himself, Kassad's twin daggers swing for his throat and thigh, hoping to slice open sensitive parts of the foe, before he can defend himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kassad uses the rest of his turn to make his two attacks against a flat-footed foe. (1d20+5)[7] damage= (1d4)[4] + (1d6)[5]. Second attack (1d20+5)[14] damage= (1d4)[3] + (1d6)[1]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Somehow, Kassad manages to miss the hobgoblin leader, even as he stands perfectly still. He makes no move to counter attack, instead backing off and falling to his knees. He does not seem to understand any of what any of you are saying, instead grumbling to himself in his own rough tongue.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-17 at 08:41 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Turning towards Kassad, "Easy now friend, this one has clearly surrendered. While I may not understand him, dropping your weapon is surely never a sign of aggression."

Turning back to look at the leader,
    "While these creatures may be evil, perhaps they may be of some use."

Beredin breaks off a bit of his beef jerky and offers it to the leader in a gesture of peace.

"I do not mean to harm you. Can you understand anything I am saying?"
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-04-17 at 11:53 AM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

23. - Top - End - #143

"Well, I'll get him; in a way," Armaril says as he holsters his wand hand pulls out the other one, Shocking Grasp.
    "Oooooh; I Love Doing This!" Whitefeather exclaims as he gets Armaril's intentions through their mental link.
    "Yep, we haven't done this in a while, but go get him!" he says as he casts a spell charged in the wand, designating Whitefeather as the toucher.
    Whitefeather immeadiatly takes off to a height of 30 feet, and zooms after the fleeing hobgoblin, ready to deliver the spell stored in him, cackling "You're in for the shock of your life! This is really going to jolt you! Ready to light up?"
    Armaril then turns to the hobgoblin and asks, in every language he knows: "Do you understand this?" until he gets a positive response or runs out of languages.
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

The commander takes the offered jerky, and after sniffing for a couple of seconds, eats it tentatively. He chews slowly. He eyes the four of you, seemingly gauging your strength. He averts his eyes quickly, though out of shame or fear, you cannot tell. As Armaril speaks to him, the hobgoblin does not respond, until the elf begins speaking Draconic, at which he perks up.
    "I... understand."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Good, in that case let your man surrender. Because if he doesn't he will be killed. It's easy like that. Aaron says in Draconic (which he luckily speaks fluently).

Why did you attack us?

Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Aaron: At your accusation, the hobgoblin begins to laugh.
    "We...attacked no one. Scout reported an ambush from ocean - armed creatures who threatened. Soldiers need to... defend themselves. You shot first." He looks at you accusingly, but in his eyes, you can see a form of grudging respect.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

I warned them to drop their weapons. They did not listen. True, I did use my own language, and I am used to people knowing the common tongue. If I would know that Draconic was the language here, I would've used that. But they threatened me, I warned them, they did not listen, I attacked. Same as just a moment ago. You attacked, I will attack back.

Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Armaril: As you watch, Whitefeather dive bombs the remaining hobgoblin, delivering its electrifying payload and shocking it into submission. Its corpse joins the others, strewn across the soft dunes. From beside you, the leader sighs as the last of its compatriots has been defeated. Continuing in his garbled Draconian, he manages to grumble out.
    "You... had best kill me, then. I would prefer a clean death."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-04-19 at 09:46 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Beredin

Looking at Armaril, Beredin grumbles, "Well there's one way to make sure he does not cooperate."

Looking back towards the leader, "I will honor your request of a clean death, or even allow you to leave, peacefully, if you choose, but you must help me first. I want to know what other dangers lie in this land. I want to know what killed your men from the sand. And lastly, how far is it to the city to the south?"

With a stern look, "Answer these questions and you will have your choice of how this ends. Deny me my answers, and we will bind you, and drag you to the city, where I am sure the guards will not be so merciful."
    Last edited by Holice; 2012-04-19 at 05:22 PM.
    Surprise inside!
    Spoiler
    Show

Click 'em all!

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Uriell - A Druid
    Robb - The Scruffy Scout

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Aaron

Aaron moves towards the hobgoblin and lays a hand on his shoulders.

Why would we give you a clean death. You attacked us, I think you do not deserve death. But if death you want, serve me. Stay alive and repay your debt in servitude.

Than he smiles softly.

@DM:
    Spoiler
    Show

He uses his charnel touch on his opponent: (1d8)[5] negative damage. I did not roll for an attack, since I did expect him to not flinch away.

Lewis Carroll