New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Life After Death IC

The woman let Jasmine's arm go and frowned. "Of course I know where he is, and you do too, what's going on with you?" She points directly behind Jasmine towards the north part of the castle. "Take your first left when you see the heavy axe hanging on the wall. There will be a large set of double doors. Knock first!"

2. - Top - End - #62

Horatio continues to fly towards the Archbishop's part of the castle. I'm not going to be specific, mind you, but as Horatio flies he'll observe what he passes. He never knows when he'll notice some entirely innocuous somesuch that turns out to be useful later.

As he flies, does he go past a mirror?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-04-08 at 02:27 PM.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

3. - Top - End - #63

Horatio:
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually mirrors aren't very prevalent in the castle, though you know that's because the guards have a tendency to drink while on duty and so mirrors have been removed from most hallways after a number of accidents a few years ago. Though if you choose to fly into a bathroom, you'll pass one.

On your way, you will see business in the castle is pretty much what you'd expect. There are a few advisors running around, some guards standing by looking intimidating, and the king walks past you...wait, what the hell?

You would probably find that extremely odd. Not only is the king in a random hallway, instead of his throneroom or his...Royal Courtesan Liaison Facility..., but he's completely alone. No guards, no advisors, no Archbishop. He's heading down the hallway towards the Southernmost part of the castle, which you know nothing about.

The Archbishop's Chambers are through the next wall (Continuing west, away from where the king is heading). You can hear the shuffling of feet and paper inside it.

4. - Top - End - #64

Horatio is too damn curious. That's what it is to be a factotum, more curious than cautious, and he just has to know. He trails the king.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeing the king move by, Vul gets an idea. "Keep quiet about this, and I might be a little more open around you," he says to Horatio. With that, his body begins to shake. His features become fluid and he even seems to grow a few inches. His ears shorten and round out, his face becomes flatter and less angular, and his hair changes from a ragged mess to a well combed blond style. Then he begins to age rapidly. Wrinkles form, eyes sink, and his hair thins and greys out. "Behold, the first ruler of...this land! King Whats-his-name! It was something with an 'M' or 'N' or 'S' or something."

With that display, he reaches into one of his bags and pulls out a formal robe, along with a small handful of jewelry. Dressing himself in the robe, he attempts to look as formal as possible. "Verily, what dost thou thinketh, our silent compatriot? We are most indeedly the first king of these fair lands, are we not?"

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, Disguise check. And yes, I really did forget those things even though I saw them not five minutes ago. I think it adds to the effect.

Disguise check is made in secret, so I have no idea what it is. All I know is that it takes (1d3)[3]X10 minutes and has a modifier of +18 (+14 base skill modifier, +10 for using minor change shape, -6 for appearing venerable. No penalty for different race due to Racial Emulation)
    Last edited by GFawkes; 2012-04-08 at 11:42 PM.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #66

Horatio looks absolutely fascinated (and impressed) and nods his head. He gives a thumbs-up sign, but points his other finger to the name plate of the first King Marcus Solacean.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Kraven followed Horatio, unseen by material planers, until he veered off after the king. He then passed through the last wall to seek the archbishop.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

8. - Top - End - #68

Horatio and Vul:
    Spoiler
    Show

The king is heading towards a large steel door, which strikes you as odd since the other doors in this castle are all solid wood. The king opens the door with a bit of effort and reveals a dark staircase. Taking a torch from the side of the wall and lighting it, the king heads down the staircase slowly.

At the bottom of the stairs is a very expansive room, it's hard to believe this room is so far underground, because the ceiling is so high it could almost extend to the roof of the castle. The king stands before a cage in the center of the room. And inside the cage...is an enormous, ferocious beast. Purple scales cover its entire body as it stands on its four legs, with six long waving necks coming out of its torso, each neck ending in a head with sharp fangs and vicious eyes. All 12 eyes center on the king as he stares up at the creature. The king sighs heavily and reaches into his pocket, pulling out a strange looking scroll. He reads aloud a phrase in Draconic, and the scroll disappears. In the space between the king and the cage, the body of a human appears. The human's skin is blotched and his brow is stained with sweat. He is clearly very ill.

The six-headed creature does not wait. It opens its mouths and sticks its heads through the bars, tearing into the human and ripping his body in several directions, devouring him alive. The man's screams echo through the chambers as he weakly tries to get away, only to have one of his legs ripped from his retreating body and swallowed whole.

The king turns away, a look of disgust and shame on his face, as he walks back towards the stairs.

Kraven:
    Spoiler
    Show

You enter a 20x20 room with brick walls. There is a man standing there, about 5'6'' with brown hair, wearing a simple brown robe and a pair of round-lens glasses. He is busy reading a scripture, an intent look on his face.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Kraven will manifest before the man. Fort save DC18 or sickened(horrific appearance).

"You there, do you remember me," he will ask once he is visible to the man.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

10. - Top - End - #70

Jasmine smiles a thanks at the woman, swannily striding out of the room and rapping lightly at the King's door, keeping her stature dignified.

11. - Top - End - #71

Horatio, not manifested, speeds back up the stairs, out the door, and towards the Archbishop's chambers.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Vul follows the king, staying unmanifested.

If the king heads past the portrait of Marcus Solacean the First:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vul manifests within the portrait, waiting for the king to pass. When he does, Vul speaks in as regal a voice he can manage. "How could you let my kingdom fall to this?"

If the king heads to the throne (assuming that he doesn't pass the portrait):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vul floats above the throne, then begins practicing with his telekinesis. Just doing little things at first, like rustling tapestries, but moving on to bigger things like sending loose items flying across the room. As he does, he lets out a low wail meant to unnerve more than frighten.

(Using telekinesis on unattended objects (no save) and Frightful Moan (DC 18 Will Save, though I think you mentioned somewhere that we could give a +2 to the DC in exchange for having the targets be shaken instead of panicked))

If the king heads elsewhere (assuming he doesn't pass the portrait):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vul stays about 10 ft above and behind the king, shadowing him. When he comes to rest in a non-bathroom area, Vul begins manifesting, speaking as he does so. "You disappoint me."

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #73

Kraven:
    Spoiler
    Show

Will save: (1d20+10)[19]

The priest looks up and frowns. "A spectre of unlife...what do you want from me, spirit? I have little patience to deal with you right now." He runs a few fingers over the amulet around his neck. The man appears to not have heard you at all, possibly too busy with his own paperwork to notice you until he looked up.

Jasmine:
    Spoiler
    Show

You knock on the door but there is no answer. After about a minute, a man appears. He is walking down the hallway towards you, his face covered in doubt, shame and grief. The man is older than you, probably his late forties, though his hair already seems to be greying. He is wearing royal clothes, including a jeweled crown.

The man stops in surprise when he sees you standing there. "L-Lady Blackheart! Why are you here?" he asks, with the air of formality of a man who does not know you very well at all.

Horatio and Vul:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your appearance to the king is delayed (see Jasmine's spoiler, since you guys are both there to see it).

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Are you the archbishop who presided over me this few days passed? I need to know the reason for my execution," Kraven says with a twinge of anger.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

15. - Top - End - #75

Vul stays immaterial nearby, observing how the king interacts with the woman, Lady Blackheart. Something about that name just didn't seem right to him.

Spoiler
    Show

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #76

Jasmine smiles at the man who should could only assume to be the King; who would wear a symbol of authority in the very residence of the leading authority but the most audacious of persons? "Good day to you, as well." She greets, offering her hand to the man before her. "I was told you were looking stressed before; and one never wants to discuss private matters with their advisors. Good company is good for relaxation, you know."

17. - Top - End - #77

Kraven:
    Spoiler
    Show

The priest gives a heavy sigh and looks back up at you. His eyes are dark with heavy circles hanging beneath them, and he looks as though he is ready to collapse from exhaustion. Dirt and sweat cling to his skin, making it clear that the man has not bathed in at least a few days, and his fingernails are long and untrimmed.

"Yes. I presided over your execution. You and your troupe of thieves were all captured together and brought before the judge, and when we could not find what you stole, we had you all executed on the spot. The fact that you are here is surprising, though...I performed your last rites, so your soul should be at peace...."

Everyone Else:
    Spoiler
    Show

The king certainly seems interested in Jasmine's offer and nods slowly. He takes the back of her hand and kisses it politel. "I suppose I could use about an hour of relaxation, yes. Please, come in."

The king opens the door and steps out of the way, letting Jasmine walk into a beautiful and ostentatious room with silver crystals in the wallwork and a golden throne. He sits atop his throne, gesturing to a lavish comfortable cushioned chair in front of him.

The king is quiet, and seems reluctant to speak or even look at Jasmine. His eyes betray his grief, and he seems to be thinking about something truly distressful.

18. - Top - End - #78

Horatio zooms into the Archbishop's chambers and makes himself clearly visible, making sure he shows his ghostly symbol of Pelor.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"At peace nothing," Kraven exclaimed. "Of course, this form has its own uses for me now, so maybe I should thank you. Still, I stole nothing and to be executed for that is beyond my reasoning. What, may I ask, were we accused of stealing," he continued in a much calmer voice.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

20. - Top - End - #80

Jasmine sits back in her chair, leaning back against the soft spine of it and letting her neck relax. "What's on your mind?" She asks in a tone so light it carries only on the air to the King. With a little time, she knows she can get the information she needs from him.

21. - Top - End - #81

Horatio and Kraven:
    Spoiler
    Show

The priest glances up with disinterest as the second ghost flies into his chambers. "Oh look, it's another thief. What do you want, Horatio?"

Glancing over at Kraven, the priest raises an eyebrow. A spark of life enters his dark gray eyes. "You don't remember what you were charged with? Well, that could potentially explain why you're still hanging around here. Still, there's no real harm in telling you, since you've already been punished for the crime. You and your little posse were accused of stealing the Scepter of Domination from His Majesty. And to save time, I'll go ahead and reinform you that the Scepter of Domination is a legendary artifact, passed down His Majesty's line since the very first king, and has been appraised to be worth approximately seven million gold."

Jasmine and Vul:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The king shakes his head. "Just some issues with the prisoners, nothing you need to worry about, Lady Blackheart. So tell me, did you enjoy today's party? I understand that Lord Blackheart put it together himself, which is why I was a bit confused to see you alone in the hall..."

He looks at you suspiciously, his worry temporarily forgotten as he raises an eyebrow. "Why did you leave the party, Lady Blackheart?"

22. - Top - End - #82

"I decided it was a good time to meet with you." Jasmine tells the King with a firm tone of voice, meeting his eyes. [B]"This trouble with prisoners seems to have you very paranoid... There's little point in talking to me if you're going to give vague replies."B] She smiles again, placing her hands on her thighs. "Come now. Speak."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure when to roll or whatever...but if this has been a minute, I'm taking 10 on Diplomacy for a result of 25.

23. - Top - End - #83

Jasmine/Vul
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well...alright, very well," the king replied, sighing heavily. "Those prisoners I had executed last week...they didn't have the artifact they stole on their corpses. So now I'm left without..." The king stays guarded, "...without my father's heirloom. And I don't know how I'll ever reclaim it! Short of asking the bandits themselves, but we already tried magically compelling them to tell us where the item was hidden, but somehow they all managed to evade the spells and say they didn't know!"

OOC:
    This triggers something in both of your minds. You both flashback to a time before you died, a time that was previously not in your memories. You both stood, chained, along with the others, and yelled repeatedly that you didn't know where this "Scepter" the king was talking about was. You were both confused, having never heard of it before, and suddenly you were accused of stealing it? Along with that confusion was another feeling, the confusion of being grouped together with a bunch of people you'd never even seen before.

24. - Top - End - #84

Hearing that the scepter is missing, or even that it exists, causes Vul to freeze in place and clutch his head as the memories flood back. The chains, the confusion, everything. Shaking his head a little, he gets an idea. He floats over to a wall at ground level, does his best to lean on it without falling through, and manifests. "Think, boy! The king should never be at a loss, especially in the presence of others," he says in a voice meant to sound gruff, but trustworthy.

Spoiler
    Show

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #85

Horatio's life was measured in wasted words, and in wasted words was a wasted life. Later, one might speculate on why Horatio did not form on this world as a ghost with the immediate ability to speak. Was it fear of what he would sound like? He screamed, he tried to speak ... but nothing occurred. Why, on that day at that time and with that person was Horatio finally heard?

Purpose. Because he had finally found something which was worth raising his voice to be heard. Purpose gives a man a voice, even in death.

"Archbishop Carcino, though the inevitable that 'greeted' us on our return seemed to imply that simply knowing why we died would be enough - and that we only had 12 hours to succeed - as of two minutes ago I now cease to care.

"What do I want? The rule of law tempered with mercy and compassion for all, not hidden agendas. Why does the king keep a hydra in the basement that consumes man? The king does not appear happy with this ... the hydra appears caged .... and yet this happens. What devil's bargain - and with whom - is this arrangement made? Just because I have no life left doesn't mean I can't at least impel one who yet has that gift to end this blight on justice.

"I charge you, Archbishop, to pursue this matter with the same vim, vigor, and vitality with which I was tried and executed. And, may I remind you, sir ... that execution of a man is the end of secular punishment, as with the end of a jail sentence, so tarry not with quips of whatever faults I may have had in life. You live, so save lives and end this."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know when to roll Diplomacy. I imagine we're still in the general discussion phase right now.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Horatio and Kraven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Archbishop raised an eyebrow. "A..'hydra'? What is this creature you speak of? A monster, caged in the basement? That consumes people?"

The Archbishop, for the first time, sets his paper down and stands up. He looks serious and he walks over to you. "I know not of what you speak, spirit, because the bottom floor is His Majesty's, and His Majesty's alone. Even if what you say is true, however, the king is within his right to do whatever he wishes with that floor, and keep whatever company he wishes to keep. Still...to accuse the king of having a man put to death, without my knowledge, that is a very grave accusation indeed."

The Archbishop looks thoughtful, before glaring at Horatio. "I assume that you have some proof to back up this claim? Surely you would not come before a man you know can harm you even in your incorporeal state and levy baseless accusations of murder at the most powerful man in the country without a shred of evidence?"

Vul and Jasmine:
    Spoiler
    Show

The king drew back in surprise and fear as he saw the ghost of his ancestor floating before him. His mouth dropped open, speechless.

27. - Top - End - #87

"A hydra is a large monstrosity with several heads joined into a thick body. Cut off a head, and another grows in its place. It is a terrifying beast of legend.

"As far as proof, does it look like I can carry proof, your eminence? No man, king or otherwise, should act thus without being able to answer for it. Who knows, there may be an answer. It is not about the individual life stolen, grave as it is, but the mind of a man who rules so many may be a poison that has spread beyond just this event.

"No, your eminence. As evening nears, I shall be called back by the inevitable - a guardian of the way things must be in this universe - and called to move onwards. I have given what I have seen to you. It is up to you to enquire into injustice if it exists. I am the dead, and must move on. The living must take up the cause of justice for the living."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"By the gods man. You just throw it all out don't you," Kraven says to Horatio. "Look, I want to clear my name, otherwise I am okay with what has happened to me now. I could always make physical representations of myself if needed. But to what extent did you actually investigate this crime. 'Oh hi, you are here, the scepter is not, die!' Really, of course the scepeter was not on my person," he continues as he turns to the archbishop.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

29. - Top - End - #89

The priest looked towards Kraven with annoyance. "There were seventeen different eyewitnesses who saw all four of you running from the palace in broad daylight, describing your appearances to a T. Then, when we found you, each one of you emanated an extremely strong aura of evil and enchantment, though the aura did not come from your life force or any specific item on your person. I easily identified the aura as the Scepter's. You all were clearly in contact with it, and there's no way to magically create an aura like that."

OOC: As his words leave his lips, both of you feel a rush, as memories start to flow back into your minds. A mysterious figure, walking towards you, raising his hand, and suddenly, your mind going blank. Then you walking, but not realizing you were walking, not controlling your own body, alongside three strangers you had never met, into the castle, into the throneroom, reaching for a secret compartment in the throne you somehow knew was there...

The object inside is heavy, and tightly boxed into the compartment. It takes all four of you grabbing it from different angles to pull the scepter out, after which Horatio stashes it on his person and you all start to run...

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Hmm, seems I had some involvement. I shall help you recover this relic, once I speak with the inevitable. I want my name clear so I can go about my unlife in peace," Kraven says with a confused look and somber voice. He holds his detached head under one arm and scratches his chin with the other.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri