New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Weirdness Ensues!

"We support the motion to leave this plane as soon as feasible. But first let us continue questioning our jailor before we ah...dispose of him."

Zkru turns his attention upon the slimy piece of filth who thought to imprison them

"Is your breastplate enchanted? If so then how? Who was your visitor who threw you against the grate?"

Zkru seems to be eyeing Matt incredulously. "Comparable power? Ignoring the fact that they know our truenames, which already grant them a massive advantage, there is also the fact that they are most certainly being beyond our power. They judge the criminals of the multivers and imprison them. Frankly I'm surprised we're doing as well as we are. They must have underestimated us or are over reliant on the dead magic traits of their prison. I would suggest that we skedaddle from here as fast as we can and go about changing our truenames."
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sighs agian."The other prisoners on the list. Why attack something that knows your truename? And I can help with that after we shift out."
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

3. - Top - End - #93

Flumph

((OOC: Sorry, comphrehension fail, though it wasn't really clear what you were referencing in case. Theirs would seem to reference the enemy which is presumably the judge and jury or whatever and that's how I read it.))

"I say let them fend for themselves. If they can escape tartarus then they may be worthy of enlisting to our cause. In any case, we are wasting time with talk, we must take action. I say we flee."
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-04-04 at 04:25 PM.
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A scepter emerges from his body. "Where to?" He's holding the scepter as he asks, ready to use it.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Tired of waiting and want to go sleep so time for a ifforwhen type post. Enjoy the aboleth feeding practices.

"I believe that is secret, the walls have ears, possibly literally. Also perhaps you should save your charges and have pinky shift us? After all the power points will come back tomorrow but the charge will be gone for life. In any case let me cast some illusions first to help confuse our pursuers."

I use my slime ability to on the Demodand to prepare him for seasoning. I wait for the demodand to answer the questions. Then do the following:

"It's a shame I don't have the time to torture you properly, that does so increase the flavour. Oh well, you're too dangerous to take with us or to leave behind. I'm afraid you must die."

Zkru waits for the Demodand's transformation to complete. Then he starts eating his limbs, while keeping him in contact with the floor to prevent him from dying or passing out, keep the head and brain alive and intact for now, in consideration of his allies. Zkru orders the demodand to give his magical resevoir to whoever is casting the spell of planar travel

Zkru then starts weaving figments and illusions to confuse and befuddle their foes.

Once planar travel is complete Zkru eats the rest of the Demodand which is presumably a corpse by now and as such can travel along as a attended object.

Spoiler
    Show
    Force the demodand to fail his save against the slime ability via dominate.

I cast illusory wall on the hole into our cell and all the passages leading from the chamber. I cast a programmed image of the demodand seemingly standing around as normal and waving at the newcomers to go off as soon as someone else enters the chamber. I cast a persistent image of us all within the cell, seemingly bemoaning our plight and pacing or whatever seems appropriate. I think this is all standard actions cos they're supernatural right? Note that true sight only works against my illusions if within 10ft of the illusion.
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-04-04 at 04:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Everyone link hands, please. We will be departing shortly.

Accepting the magical power, Pinky grabs the nearest hand, placing another on the aboleth's flank, wraps all four tentacles around the demodand's head and extracts its brain, using the magic to manifest Planar Travel, shifting everyone to a random spot on Avalon to evade capture. Upon arrival, Pinky finishes the meal and takes a deep breath.

I could have done without the slime, and enslaved minds tend to have an artificial aftertaste, but this was a unique experience. Perhaps in time I can learn to replicate the ability to carry magic with me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore check to learn any information on "the Reconstruction" from the brain, including half-remembered fragments of data not immediately obvious to the previous owner: (1d20+17)[26]

Pinky then begins making preparations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifest Remote View Trap, applying the Extend Power feat. Duration 76 hours. Save DC 29. Cost 13 points.
    Manifest Sustained Flight, also extended. Cost 13 points. duration 28 hours.

I chose this plane assuming it would be inhospitable to our pursuers. We will not stay here long. I recommend we put some distance between us and this landing zone, and have someone else shift us to yet another plane. Anyone trying to scry us in the next three days will have an unpleasant surprise, and alert me of their attempt.
    Last edited by phantomreader42; 2012-04-04 at 05:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

"Alright what is the plan?" Akha said, now playing with Zkru's tentacle while lying on his back.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    "Alright what is the plan?" Akha said, now playing with Zkru's tentacle while lying on his back.
    Levitating a few feet off the ground, Pinky takes a look around

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check (1d20+20)[33]

I would suggest we travel some distance from here, then shift elsewhere to confound tracking methods. Preferably to a plane from which our aeon companion can safely pass to the material plane.
    Last edited by phantomreader42; 2012-04-04 at 06:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

"Seems like a good idea." he responded, sitting up.

"May I do the next planar teleportation? I think we should both expend our power instead of having just you do it."
    Extended Hombrew Signature

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    "Seems like a good idea." he responded, sitting up.

"May I do the next planar teleportation? I think we should both expend our power instead of having just you do it."
    I had already come to the same conclusion, albeit for a different reason. The more we vary our mode of travel, the more difficult it should be to track us.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

His magical reservoir no longer needed, Korino succumbs to the will of the Plane and Morph's into a Pixie, floating away slightly, grimacing as the two Aberrations consume their former prisoner.

"Which world would you suggest? Because I don't know any of you from my own, so we have a few choices."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Floating in midair, Pinky takes up the lotus position, opens his bag of holding, and draws out a book, paging through it silently.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge(Planes) check on safe, stable planar travel options that avoid devil sickness: (1d20+38)[40]

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Following after Pinky's book would come a large mote of white energy, bleeding off into redness at its edges. It floated away from the illithid, carried by nothing but momentum and unimpeded by air.

"There it went!" came a muffled, ethereal voice from inside the bag a jarring interruption to the seriousness of the situation. The opening of the bag began to glow with a light from inside, fading on its edges just as the mote. The light brightened over the course of one second, at which point a mass of motes expelled from it. "Can I even fit back--"

The next expulsion could hardly be considered a mote--more accurately, it could be called a globe. Specifically, a globe about the diameter of a gnome, before its edge bled out into the air. The motes swarmed to the globe, binding tightly to the red field of dispersing light.

"--yes I can!" the globe emitted its words. "And now I'm out here. Hi. Hi people. Did I miss everything, or just everything?"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    "And now I'm out here. Hi. Hi people. Did I miss everything, or just everything?"[/COLOR]
    Pinky blinks to clear its eyes. In a mildly startled tone, it remarks

While I have kept many strange things in that bag, they have never included a living ball of light. Had I not just recently escaped imprisonment without trial on a prison plane with a flaming dragon, a psychic child, a master shapeshifter, an aeon, a swarm of undead, and an immense aquatic aberration, I would be significantly more surprised by this.

Pinky attempts to examine the newcomer telepathically and via Detect Psionics, and greets it calmly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft check for magical effects: (1d20+36)[55]

Greetings. As the name bestowed upon me in my youth cannot be adequately expressed without the use of tentacles and telepathy, and most here lack at least one of those features, a simpler appellation is necessary. You may call me "Pinky". Extensive research indicates that this pseudonym achieves an optimal balance among descriptive accuracy, minimization of perceived threat, and self-deprecating humor. How do you prefer to be addressed? And for what possible reason could you have ended up imprisoned with us? Though given recent experience I doubt anyone bothered to tell you either.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, I noticed. I hid in your bag because I freaked out because I can't use my godpower. Mostly. Oh, I'm Clip! I'm a king, except not anymore because they popped my dream bubble. Hi, Pinky! I think I got the order wrong on answering but whatever. Hi, other things-slash-people! I have no idea where I am!" Clip bobbed up and down, rather quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think there's anything on Clip that can't be identified by a 55. The 'motes' are his equivalent of magic items.

If telepathy is anything like detect thoughts, Clip is mildly concerned about the, um, collection of all things in his line of sight. That concern is buried underneath an ocean of childike happiness.
    Last edited by Kazyan; 2012-04-04 at 07:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I recognize that irritating voice.... How long has it been scince your dream bubble was poped?"

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

From the angle of rotation, a perceptive individual could guess that Clip had turned to "face" the Aeon.

"I don't know! However long it took them to take me to here, and then the time until I'm talking to you. That much. The weird part is that I'm in my dream body. Also, I don't know if time works like it's supposed to in dreams, because there was this one time I thought I was on a horse for three weeks and then I woke up. Really."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Arcana) is the only knowledge Clip has, and it's not high enough. No rolling; he'll be in the dark about everyone's natures. Metaphorically.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    "Yeah, I noticed. I hid in your bag because I freaked out because I can't use my godpower. Mostly. Oh, I'm Clip! I'm a king, except not anymore because they popped my dream bubble. Hi, Pinky! I think I got the order wrong on answering but whatever. Hi, other things-slash-people! I have no idea where I am!" Clip bobbed up and down, rather quickly.
    You are on the plane called Avalon, realm of the Fae. We do not intend to remain here long. We are fleeing those who imprisoned us, and hoping to misdirect them by taking a complex route. It appears you can fly under your own power, which is helpful, and if I may say, quite an enjoyable experience. Once we regroup and make plans, we will travel to another plane.

19. - Top - End - #109

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically under the assumption my attempt to make the Demodand failed or he tells things to everyone else.

Watching as his Aberration comrades devour the prisoner he only licks his 'lips' like a cat at the thought of food. Allowing one of the others to touch his flank for the Plane Shift he instinctively looks about upon arrival. With the return of his magic he almost purrs with glee, even though he is more then capable without it.

"I agree, we should be getting a move on." Spreading his wings, he is interrupted by the new voice of a glowing sphere. Leaning down to get a better view at the being, his golden eyes scrunch as he squints at the tiny being. "Just what we need, a floating lantern that talks... I certainly hope you are of use for us. Since you missed the introductions, you can call me Malsvir."

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

The swarm which was Bleddyn gently touched the others as the Plane Shift occured. While within the Dead Magic Zone, it was only by sheer will he maintained his form. Now, outside where magic once again flowed as normal, Bleddyn could feel the negative energy surge through him, and outward. He moved just far enough away from his companions that his aura of power would not cause them discomfort. For whatever reason, living beings found his mere prescence painful these days.

Then he felt it. Something was wrong. Something was nearby that was against him. A pull, a desire to anihilate, a need to destroy utterly. And then the glowing orb popped out of Pinky's bag. And Bleddyn's swarm form burst with rage. Flying apart, the others could hear him screeching telepathically. "WHAT IS THAT THING? GET IT AWAY FROM ME! GET IT AWAY!"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Bleddyn, meet clip, a will o the wisp of pure positive energy. And the most annyonying thing to be stuck in a dream space with.... And Clip, stay away from Bleddyn. While I must admit to curosity to see what would happen, I belive it would aginast our best intrests."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry everybody I got stuck one page back and thus didn't update anything for a bit. So just assume this next bit is from before the consumption of the outsider.

Still complacent under the aboleth's domination ability your former captor continues answering questions.

Demodand: The reconstruction is the end of this cycle of reincarnation and life on the material plane. The current show runners have deemed the cycle a success or failure and are making a new one accordingly. I don't know what that means for the people still in place, I just lock up the ones who are going to be an issue. The only monitoring station within a mile is past the siren tree to the south. As for the quest that attacked me, it was one of the Horned Hunter's riders.

Edit: forgot one of the questions

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm also still confused as to where you guys are actually shifting to.
    Last edited by nyarlathotep; 2012-04-04 at 11:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Shifted to Avalon, and are planning on moving away some distance before Shifting elsewhere.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

With a swirling of magical energy the party is transported from their current prison plane into the ever shifting realm of Fae. At first you are falling through a whirlwind of autumn leaves and brightly colored mote of light before coming to settle on the roots of an enormous tree, stretching over a mile high and each root averages five hundred feet across. The Tree has the face of an old woman on its side which cranes down to speak to the party without moving its lips.

Tree: Now what do we have here? Newcomers without so much as a troupe for safety, and only a single guide with any contracts to speak of. So squidface how'd you convince these new childe to come here, when you're the only one with contracts of food, drink, or movement. I'd offer give you agreements of transport over my roots, in return for finding out about all of the changes coming to the world's connections. My toadstool circles and Heart-Trees have been going silent.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Planes) check on Horned Hunter and minions (1d20+38)[50]
    Knowledge(Religion) check on Horned Hunter and minions (1d20+36)[45]
    Lore check on Horned Hunter and minions (1d20+17)[31]
    Knowledge(Planes) check on probable impact on the various planes of the Reconstruction as described, especially the effect on Avalon (1d20+38)[41]

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
    Tree: Now what do we have here? Newcomers without so much as a troupe for safety, and only a single guide with any contracts to speak of. So squidface how'd you convince these new childe to come here, when you're the only one with contracts of food, drink, or movement. I'd offer give you agreements of transport over my roots, in return for finding out about all of the changes coming to the world's connections. My toadstool circles and Heart-Trees have been going silent.
    Pinky turns to the tree and begins speaking in fluent Sylvan.

Your offer of aid is most welcome. We intend to vacate the premises as soon as feasible, so we shall not inconvenience you unduly. I may have a theory on what is causing the disruption in your circles, though I assure you we are not the cause. I am willing to share what infomation I have in exchange for your help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+27)[31]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did we ever get a ruling on whether Knowledge(Arcana) and Knowledge(Psionics) are redundant due to psionics/magic overlap? If they are, I'll have to move my ranks in the latter about a bit, probably putting more in Diplomacy.

26. - Top - End - #116

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have the skill I might as well use it. You forgot to answer my question on the Demodand's breastplate that I adressed to him, namely whether it's magical or not.

Knowledge(Eons) check on the giant talking tree:(1d20+49)[54]
    Knowledge(Eons) check on the horned hunter:(1d20+49)[65]
    Knowledge(Eons) check on fae realm contracts:(1d20+49)[50]
    Knowledge(Eons) check on the Reconstruction:(1d20+49)[54]
    Knowledge(Eons) check on fae realm troupes:(1d20+49)[62]

Zkru seems to be pondering the situation, leaving the talking to the illithid, who seemed well suited to that particular task. He seems to be regretting the fact that he doesn't have much in the way of anti-divination protection.

He can be heard muttering psychically to himself.

"I should have bought those leaden robes, no matter how unstylish they were."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming the status tablet was destroyed and the scroll and breastplate are in my inventory?
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-04-05 at 09:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes the two knowledges are redundant feel from to transfer to diplomacy.

The breastplate is none magical

Knowledge results for Pinky: The Horned Hunter was the first fey to ever permanently die and as a result attempted to make a contract with all of the underworld's god in the same way that he would other fey. He would be allowed to escape any punishments of the underworld in return for tracking down those who had escaped the underworld's rightful ownership.

The riders are fey who have died and agreed to serve as his servants. They are among the best tracker in the multiverse and ride jabberwockies or bandersnatch into battle.

The reconstruction would likely leave the inner fae realm that is disconnected from the material plane untouched, but any part of it that has a direct connection to the material plane through say sacred standing stone or a heart-tree would likely get cut off and wither unless it could find some other point of connection.

Zkru's knowledge: Pretty much the same info as Pinky on the horned hunter.

The giant talking tree would appear to be a weird of some variety. The source of oracle advice on the material plane and within the fae realm a provider of travel and protection.

Contracts are a fundamental part of how Avalon functions. In order to preform some action that woudl alter another senient being you must first get its permission to do so in the form of a contract. In turn however once you have this contract unless the whole thing is rendered null somehow neither side can break it and cannot prevent the other side from utilizing the contract as they see fit. This makes it neigh impossible to kill a fae save those who desire to die, but as they are not of this realm the same protection is not afforded to visitors from other realms, who can be affected by anything they cannot physically prevent.

Fae Realm troupes are just a sort of slang for groups of people bound together through a contract promising they will stick together and look after one another.

Tree: Thank you for your generosity. My name is Glenda, now tell me where you would like my roots to take you.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post

Tree: Thank you for your generosity. My name is Glenda, now tell me where you would like my roots to take you.
    I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Glenda. My companions know me by the name "Pinky".

We wish to travel away from here, by a safe route, to a safe place from which we can leave this plane, and would prefer that as few beings as possible knew of our passing. We do not particularly care about our exact destination, as long as we can avoid pursuit. We will leave as little evidence of our passage as we can, and make a point not to damage your roots or branches if it can be avoided.

As for the information you requested, powerful beings which we cannot yet identify intend to end the cycle of reincarnation and life on the material plane, replacing it with something else. What, we cannot yet determine. They call this process "The Reconstruction". If allowed to continue, this process is likely to cause the withering of portions of Avalon that have a strong connection to the material, such as your Heart-Trees, though it may leave the inner portions of the realm unscathed. We were imprisoned in Tartarus on the grounds that we pose some unspecified threat to this process. The Horned Hunter is involved in some fashion, though his exact part in this is not entirely clear.

In return for this information, will you grant safe passage to us, and refrain from informing any who follow us of where we are going?

Spoiler
    Show
    Updated Diplomacy check: (1d20+32)[41]
    Last edited by phantomreader42; 2012-04-05 at 11:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

As Pinky begins speaking Korino, still in Pixie form spins to face him and sprouts tentacles from his face, his skin turning murky green and his wings a deep purple. He waggles them somewhat haphazardly at the true Illithid; he can speak Tentacle-tongue, but his "accent" is rather rough given his flustered state.

"Are you mad? You don't make deals with gigantic Fey you just met!"

-------
    Std: Chimeric Morph to add Half-Illithid template to Pixie.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post

"Are you mad? You don't make deals with gigantic Fey you just met!"
    Telepathically: I have been called mad before. Have you any better options? As our enemies appear to threaten her as well, she has an incentive to help us.
    Last edited by phantomreader42; 2012-04-05 at 12:02 PM.