New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Weirdness Ensues!

While I was summoned
    Call me old fashioned. Also, I apologize for the wording, I'm still confused by your kinds biological impulses at times, and I tend to assume the.... more unplesent. It's proven right more often then not....
    Back with the party
    Er, she was a bit... peeved about how I worded it. She only wants to know how you drew in a entire planar level to sustian unlife. And it's not for her.... She said something about curbing anothers self destructive behavoiurs. Also, it's reasonable to assume she's scrying on us right now.....
    Last edited by Grimsage Matt; 2012-04-08 at 02:39 AM.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Growing 10ft Korino's skin turns deep red, dark hair erupting from it's head and face, fine silk clothing replacing the Magmin's molten skin, and a scowl replacing it's mad smile. A turban of white silk appears on his head, and a long curved sword appears at his hip. Around his neck is a circular emerald amulet, held by a long, loose single gold thread. He looks down at Malsvir, and when he speaks his voice is deep & loud, like a roaring flame in a forge.

"As a matter of fact, yes, I can. As for how many times, well that all depends on how generous I'm feeling, or what you offer in return, doesn't it.

With a self-important grin he raises his hand towards Zkru-, and strands of golden light surround his arm. With a flick of his finger they stream towards the Aboleth, solidifying just in front of Akha'Ryu in the form of a large, beautifully made stained glass bowl, filled with enough sugary sweets to rot the teeth of a Titan.

He turns back to Malsvir.

"But it is now one less time than I could before."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm 12ft tall if I stretch my neck, so I'm still able to look down at you. But of course I have to shift to my dragon form to do so

"I see, so my assumption was correct. Then we have several courses of action that we can proceed with if we so choose."

Holding out his hand he starts unfolding fingers as he lists several points.

"First, we can do the obvious of getting rid of our pursuers way of divining on us by ridding their records of our true names. This of course means they will have to re-research us before being able to use our true names.

Second, we can change our true names. I have little knowledge of what kind of effects this might cause if we do so wrongly so it might be a gamble, but I assume that will mean they have to research our new names which effectively leads us to the same conclusion as option one.

Third, assuming that my lack of knowledge isn't too much of a hindrance as this is just an idea, we can rid ourselves of true names entirely. This may make it impossible for them to research our true names ever again. But then I don't know what such a action will cause and am just voicing an idea.

Fourth, some how make them completely forget us."

Any other ideas?

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsage Matt View Post
    While I was summoned
    Call me old fashioned. Also, I apologize for the wording, I'm still confused by your kinds biological impulses at times, and I tend to assume the.... more unplesent. It's proven right more often then not....
    Back with the party
    Er, she was a bit... peeved about how I worded it. She only wants to know how you drew in a entire planar level to sustian unlife. And it's not for her.... She said something about curbing anothers self destructive behavoiurs. Also, it's reasonable to assume she's scrying on us right now.....
    Did you instruct her to ward herself against electricity? Or am I correct in assuming that such a warning would be redundant in her case?

The last time I spoke with Bleddyn, he left abruptly to do some unspecified "research". I was beginning to suspect that what he had discovered was dangerous and relevant to our imprisonment, but this is far beyond anything I had imagined...

Spoiler
    Show

My Remote View Trap should still be active, that notifies me of any scrying or remote viewing attempt that includes me, prevents any that fail a Will save, and deals 8d6 points of electricity damage on a failed save (half if successful). Of course, she may be immune to electricity, but I'd still know about the attempt...

Knowledge(Religion) check on lich immunities: (1d20+36)[55]
    Last edited by phantomreader42; 2012-04-08 at 11:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I know enough, and I wouldn't suggest ridding yourself of a Truename altogether, unless your intent is to vanish and us all to forget you ever existed."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"And yet, there are people who have no truenames at all that exist. But, it's a pain to even embark on that road. And even if she's not scrying on us, she's defintaly aware of us....."

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Igneel View Post
    "Third, assuming that my lack of knowledge isn't too much of a hindrance as this is just an idea, we can rid ourselves of true names entirely. This may make it impossible for them to research our true names ever again. But then I don't know what such a action will cause and am just voicing an idea.

Fourth, some how make them completely forget us."
    "That would almost certainly destroy us and our souls utterly and completely, rendering us unable to be raised except through the most esoteric of means.

The only way I know of to make the likes of them completely forget us involves consorting with some of the ah, shall we say darker deities of the multiverse?

To me the best option currently seems to be changing our truenames?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Bleddyn slowly came back to the ground, swirling into a shape roughly human. "Cigam Laever" Bleddyn's senses expanded, and the flow of magic became visible to him. "Now. Where is that scrying sensor. I think I should have a little chat with Ms. Hellina."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Clip hovered for a moment, considering how to word the wish. Honestly, he wasn't good at this. People had words for the same thing, and yet everyone acted like saying things differently actually meant different things. Clip just decided he wasn't smart enough to get it right. But some of the dragon's options sounded good, if 'true' names were really that important.

...Ah. An idea flashed across his mind.

"If we take away the paper that has our names on it, they can just get them again, right? But if we do things to our names, bad things happen, but since they know our name, they can follow us." Clip paused for a bit, considering if he understood what everyone was saying correctly. "What if anyone who knows our names forgets them right after? Then they won't be able to use them, or find out again, and our names don't have to get changed. So, we can wish that people forget our names when as soon as they know about them. Also, my mind kind of hurts now for some reason?"

Spoiler
    Show
    1 point of wisdom damage for holding in the aura.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I know the Curse your talking about. Last time I heard it was used on this little world aginst a few rouge dragons. It also makes YOU forget your name, and a true name is diffrent then your use name. A use name is a label, you an change it and there is no other consqunes. A true name is a metaphysical concept that encompasses all that you HAVE BEEN, all that you ARE, and all that you MAY BE. As such, altering it in anyway is..... dangerous. One of the reasons why I consider Truenamers to be overly reckless."

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"So it seems the desire is for me to change our Truenames for ones less ... "high profile". It seems to me a decent plan, though to do so would require more skill in the language of reality than I possess. I shall require either an enchantment to increase my linguistic ability. I know of an item that would be sufficient."

The Genie rapidly diminishes in size and shape, leaving only a silver amulet the size of a man's palm & bearing a grinning face, laying on the sand. A croaky voice emanates from the amulet.

"I am an Amulet of the Silver Tongue, a magical device designed to enhance the wearers ability to vocalise Truespeech. Obviously I cannot use the Genie power in this form however, so we will need to obtain another somewhere. Any suggestions?"

-----
    Morph (Enchanted Item Transformation): Greater Amulet of the Silver Tongue.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-04-08 at 02:41 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

11. - Top - End - #191

Flumph

"We could inquire as to availability of one at the nearby city perhaps?"
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You are aware I can use wish every day, correct? That, and Hellina is a Genie.....

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

Korino reverts to his Efreeti form, this time easily 15ft tall with a beard and hair of pure molten gold.

"As I said in our cell I haven't mastered you yet, so no, I didn't know that. But if you too can revise reality as the genies can, then would you care to whip up a Greater Amulet & we can begin making our enemy's hold on us a little less secure."

---
    Chimeric Morph: Advanced Efreeti.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I should be able to......" All of a sudden Clip notices a Amulet that was there all along.

OOC;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rather then spend the EXP for creating it, "Someone had droped their amulet there some time ago. It got buried by the sand, but a recent upheavl caused it to get to the surface agian where Clip would see it." Instead of creating the amulet, create a set of circumstances that gives us one
    Last edited by Grimsage Matt; 2012-04-08 at 03:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Spoon View Post
    "That would almost certainly destroy us and our souls utterly and completely, rendering us unable to be raised except through the most esoteric of means.

The only way I know of to make the likes of them completely forget us involves consorting with some of the ah, shall we say darker deities of the multiverse?

To me the best option currently seems to be changing our truenames?"
    "Well then, to avoid being wiped off the face of existence that seems to be the best course of action. Then I suppose the next course of action is figuring out how many times we can do such a tactic, as if we can't get everyone 'hidden' we'll need a course of action after that."

Looking to see that the shapeshifter and the Aeon have already started working together to better their chances of success.

"What kind of 'payment' would most interest you? As much as I loathe owing someone, I can't offer much outside of favors, what amount of currency I have on me, and not outright trying to eat you while your in a much smaller and edible form."

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Your death would be good." He seems amused, but then looking at mal, decides to finish the joke. "It's a necromancers joke I heard a while ago. If they took your life, you'd be dead. But if they took your death, you couldn't die. I mostly say it because of how it sounds to most people. A decent play on words, don't you think?"

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"I'll tell you this Dragon: if you find a way to consume me and keep me consumed, then you deserve your meal. I may not be able to stand against you in battle, but I'm more than capable of escaping your Fiendish gullet. But yes, I'd say a carte blanche from a being of your stature constitutes fair payment."

Seeing the Aeon produce an Amulet the Genie chuckles.

Excellent. We can begin. Thus far Malsvir & Matt have earned their freedom from Tartarusian bondage, what of the rest of you? And as for you two, who would like to be first?"

18. - Top - End - #198

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsage Matt View Post
    "Your death would be good." He seems amused, but then looking at mal, decides to finish the joke. "It's a necromancers joke I heard a while ago. If they took your life, you'd be dead. But if they took your death, you couldn't die. I mostly say it because of how it sounds to most people. A decent play on words, don't you think?"
    "It does sound like a interesting way to twist the words... I just might have to remember that one..."

"I'll tell you this Dragon: if you find a way to consume me and keep me consumed, then you deserve your meal. I may not be able to stand against you in battle, but I'm more than capable of escaping your Fiendish gullet. But yes, I'd say a carte blanche from a being of your stature constitutes fair payment."
    "As of now, I have no desire to feed on you, as there are much easier ways for me to get food if the desire was there. I will allow myself to owe you a favor, assuming that this plan works well enough that we aren't bothered by our pursuers let alone being wiped off the face of existence."

Excellent. We can begin. Thus far Malsvir & Matt have earned their freedom from Tartarusian bondage, what of the rest of you? And as for you two, who would like to be first?"
    "I personally feel we should work out the wording of the wish first and bounce it between each other trying to find any loopholes the cosmos might find it it. As to who goes first... I believe the fairest way to figure that out is either for whoever wants to be first to go first or a game of sorts to decide. Something along the lines of what humans call 'Rock-Parchment-Dagger' should do adequately."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

"Agreed. If I accidentally erase you from existence, I shall hold your debt to me as void."

20. - Top - End - #200

Flumph

"...I could give you certain endowments of the flesh, though every such endowment has its own unique price of course. Mmm, though I suppose these fleshshapings wouldn't be of much use to a shapeshifter. Ah well. I'll just have to risk it I suppose. And stick to you like a tick so that you share the risk. Such fun. >:)"

The aboleth's three eyes seem to bore into the shapeshifter in a quite unnerving fashion.
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-04-08 at 04:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

"I could play chess against you for my freedom." Akha said calmly eating his candy.

"It's a shame. I like you."
    Extended Hombrew Signature

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Bleddyn kept his senses alert, searching for any signs of a scrying beacon or spell nearby. What could generally be assumed to be his face, however, turned towards the shapechanger. "Well now. If we're bargaining for my freedom, I suppose there is little out of the question. Name a price, and I will see what I can do for you."
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Korino

"Agreed. If I accidentally erase you from existence, I shall hold your debt to me as void."
    That is certainly comforting.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

There are no actual scrying effects in place that you can sense.

25. - Top - End - #205

Akha looked at the aboleth and searched him. He conjured a chess board and a few pieces hidden on the aboleth.

He placed it on the ground and packed the pieces. "Let's play."

Spoiler
    Show

Let's say five rolls and the highest total wins?
    (1d20+38)[40]
    (1d20+38)[46]
    (1d20+38)[47]
    (1d20+38)[52]
    (1d20+38)[41]

Total: 226
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-04-09 at 06:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

Seeing the chessboard the Shpeshifter diminishes in size again, this time stopping at exactly 150cm, an exact replica of Akha'Ryu.

"A challenge. Very well, I accept."

And so the two identical children sat at opposite ends of the chessboard, trading moves faster than most mortal eyes could follow.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+33)[36]
    (d20+33)[39]
    (d20+33)[42]
    (d20+33)[38]
    (d20+33)[48]
    Total: 203

As the final match concluded with the real Akha toppling Korino's king, the boy stood, and returned to his Advanced Efreeti form.

"Very well, you have bested me. But it was an exercise in mental fortitude that I shall not soon forget, and has given me insight into the minds of men I did not possess before. My transformations will be improved for it. The new name is yours."

---------
    Mv: Shapshift - Human
    Std: Chimeric Morph - Advanced Efreeti
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-04-09 at 06:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Akha got up and went towards the Efreeti. He looked at him without emotion. Then he hugged him. "Thank you."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know what you want, and I don't have money to buy the wish either. Ask me for something. I'll try it. I'm mostly good at moving stuff around; I got practice with that in my dream because you need to do that a lot. It's harder to just make the floor go away than to move the floor." Clip idly placed another arcane mark on the ground. "The coolest thing I did most of the time was something I call Wall of Delete. Wanna see? Can that help?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Korino

<Flash Forward>

Satisfied with his assorted forms of payment, the towering Genie-ish affixed the amulet to his collar, and opened the Truespeech tome to the appropriate syntax.

Turning to face Clip, who had bravely volunteered to go first, Korino Wished to cast the spell on the Will'o'Wisp, supplementing the strands of golden light that encircled the orb creature with powerful phrases in the Primordial tongue, altering the cosmic patterns that made up his Truename; merging, separating and making brand new primordial brush-strokes until the name was completely unrecognisable, yet still perfectly encapsulating all that Clip was, is and ever shall be.

(The next part is assuming all goes well. If it doesn't then disregard it.)

His compatriots confirming that the first spell had succeeded, Korino turns his power upon Matt the Aeon, likewise altering his Truename to something brand new, yet still functioning identically.

He then Morphed from a towering fire Genie into a towering earth Genie, a Pasha Shaitan. And as before he invoked the power of Truespeech, first against himself, then Bleddyn & Zkru-. His final transformation is into a Vizier Djinni, and again he enforced his magical power upon Pinky, Akha' & Malsvir in turn.

As the golden light faded for the final time, all were now free of the prying eyes of Tartarus. Drained from such an epic display of power, Korion diminished in size, becoming a Hobbit of impressive girth around the midsection, and letting out a sigh he fell backwards onto the sand, arms behind his head as a pillow.

"Not bad, eh?"

--------
    Std: Wish - Duplicate the Sor/Wiz version of Ritual of Renaming.

Std: Morph - Advanced Pasha

Std: Morph - Advanced Vizier

Move: Shapeshift - Halfling
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-04-10 at 12:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Korino

"Not bad, eh?"
    Impressive. I suspect you will be hungry after such a display.

Pinky pulls out a mug, fills it with water, drops in a spoon, and hands it to the halfling. Making a series of gestures, his robe changes from black to a sandy tan that would blend in with the desert anywhere other than this odd black stretch, and any stains from the demodand's slime or leaked brain matter disappear.

You will most likely want some sort of flavoring for that. What is your preference?

Spoiler
    Show
    That's a Sustaining Spoon in the mug, and Prestidigitation is my one cantrip for the day. Of course, if I need it again, I can use just one of my higher-level slots. Or I could do flavoring via False Sensory Input.