New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ménage à 3 III: 47 Seconds Later

Honestly? Given Eric's depictions as of yet, I'm kind of expecting her to put it on heavily and it just running off him like water off a goose.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ettin in the Playground

Yah, he's a quite cool customer. I doubt he's getting phased by her, but Zii might get the wrong idea if played properly.
    The comic is setting Sonja up for failure, but how is it gonna go about this...
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Honestly? Given Eric's depictions as of yet, I'm kind of expecting her to put it on heavily and it just running off him like water off a goose.
    How does water run off a goose?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Goosefeathers are oily so that water can't penetrate through them to the skin below. An adaptation for an aquatic bird.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    How does water run off a goose?
    Like this. (link is wonky, start at 1:10)
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-03-07 at 05:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Goosefeathers are oily so that water can't penetrate through them to the skin below. An adaptation for an aquatic bird.
    That's just the story. The reality is that geese are so mean the water is scared to touch them.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Does Sonya have brain damage?

Like, seriously?
    I'm thinking Yes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Really? I'd say it's a petty tough call. While Matt is (I guess) overall a nice person, he has no concept of monogamy. Like, at all. (Which in itself is not a problem but he fails to communicate it to his spouses as far as we know)
    Facets that would seem to be at odds with one another, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Facets that would seem to be at odds with one another, no?
    Well, not being monogamous doesn't make you a bad person. Lying to your spouse (or not telling them which is a nifty way of lying) does, but Sonya has done worse things than that. He's doing it... because I has no self-restraint, I guess. Not too hurt them, or anything. Sonya's just a bitch at times.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

Matt sucks at communication. Dillon only found out he was bisexual because he mentioned it off-handedly to Gary, for instance.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #1360

NecromancerGuy

Well, not being monogamous doesn't make you a bad person. Lying to your spouse (or not telling them which is a nifty way of lying) does, but Sonya has done worse things than that. He's doing it... because I has no self-restraint, I guess. Not too hurt them, or anything. Sonya's just a bitch at times.
    He has no self-restraint, doesn't communicate his intentions to his partners despite entering into formal relationships with them, doesn't have the capacity for introspection to do something like adopt a polyamorous identity...

So either he's careless to the point of being abusively negligent or callous and stupid for continuing on in the manner he is and it's most likely in my estimation that he's some a mix of the two, given the comic.

The only real thing that sets Sonya apart from him is that we've spent more time in her head so we know she's both thick as mud & deliberately trying to sabotage others with her stupid.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2013-03-08 at 05:47 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

I'd still argue that's all part of one problem, and Sonya's actions weigh worse overall. (And yes, I know I spoke on her behalf just a few pages back )

So... Zii should have been aware of DiDi's... assets. What are the odds of DiDi getting lesbian ideas again?
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #1362

NecromancerGuy

I'd still argue that's all part of one problem, and Sonya's actions weigh worse overall. (And yes, I know I spoke on her behalf just a few pages back )
    Well, you could nicely encapsulate that by saying he has his head stuck up his own ass, but that also tarnishes the whole "nice person" angle. Since the only "nice people" who totally disregard others are "'nice' guys," which are pretty much universally agreed to not be nice.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2013-03-09 at 01:52 PM.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

For the record, buying someone you don't know a drink is a God-awful way of introducing yourself. It basically says "hey, I don't know how to make myself interesting, so can I buy some of your time?"

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

For the record, buying someone you don't know a drink is a God-awful way of introducing yourself. It basically says "hey, I don't know how to make myself interesting, so can I buy some of your time?"
    As a kind of inept person at this... what is a better way? Some dumb pick-up line? What do you do if there is just someone you think looks attractive and that's enough to spark your interest. Not that I'm saying buying a drink is the perfect way to introduce yourself but it seems socially accepted by many.
    "What's done is done."

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Troll in the Playground

As a kind of inept person at this... what is a better way? Some dumb pick-up line? What do you do if there is just someone you think looks attractive and that's enough to spark your interest. Not that I'm saying buying a drink is the perfect way to introduce yourself but it seems socially accepted by many.
    Not a pick-up line, but a simple verbal introduction would suffice. Granted, I'm not speaking from experiance, but I generaly try to adhere to the KISS principle both in work and personal life and it usualy gives good results.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't want to come off as some expert on social interaction; nothing could be further from the truth. The problem with a the buy-a-drink is obvious, though; it provides no opportunity for the other party to get interested (all they know about you from that is that you like to wave your wallet about, which is only flattering to a certain kind of people), and in some cases it may even get them to feel uncomfortable. Now that you've given them something, are they obliged to give you something back? The proper answer to this is no, and the right reaction is to take the free booze and dump your sorry ass. Which actually happened to friend of mine so proof!

What you want to do is talk about something they might find interesting. If you're at a concert you can talk about the band, or if you're in a gaming store you can talk about the system they're holding books from; they're probably interested in that. At a club, it might be harder to figure something out, but most people like to talk about themselves, so ask where they're from, what they watch on TV, their favourite internet meme. Anything, really. Hopefully, it will roll along nicely. If not, it's not the end of the world.

God, why am I giving advice on social protocol? This can only end in tears.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2013-03-10 at 01:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1367

You're already a thousand times more adept at this than I am.

But then, I'm some kind of real-life Gary.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You're already a thousand times more adept at this than I am.

But then, I'm some kind of real-life Gary.
    Dude, we're talking about webcomics on an internet forum of one. We're all more or less real life Garys :-)

19. - Top - End - #1369

Well, I know with quite some certainty that there are people on this forum many years younger than me who had relationships of one kind or another with the gender they are attracted to. So I am still more Gary-ish than most.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

Oh god, let's not have a "how much alike to Gary are we" talk. I'm afraid I'll win on the spinelessness front at least.

As I said earlier, I know petty little about dating (or maybe rather pick-up) habits but actually, what Weimann said makes sense... I thought buying a drink was merely an accepted way to signal someone your interested but then it's really not in any way better than just saying hi if you have nothing else to go on... Unless, obviously, for a certain kind of people. Who did come up with it then? People who wanted free drinks?
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

Beats me. Maybe the same person who thought leaning in real close and towering over the person you just met is a good strategy for, well, anything but making them feel slight panic from being trapped. I just don't know about that one.

If I were to guess on the drink thing, the theme of buying things for a woman as a means of keeping them around is pretty pervasive in the western culture. Look at certain songs by Michael Jackson or Elvis or the Beatles. It might just build off that.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2013-03-11 at 05:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Its actually a low pressure way of saying hi and expressing an interest in talking. The best part is, the lady is under no expectation of doing anything other than holding up her drink and smiling at the guy to say thanks, then going back to whatever she was doing. If she is interested in talking to the guy, then she can come over and they can talk, if not, ah well, he is out a few bucks, but at least the pretty girl is smiling. :p
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd say that the basic function of it is the feeling of obligation that was mentioned. I've been taking a course on business ethics this semester and the power of reciprocity in human nature is kinda amazing. Usually without even noticing it ourselves we become automatically biased to favor those who give us something. Receiving something for free can 'prep' a woman to be more favorable to the actual introduction. To put some of the examples we've looked at in class, pharmacy company reps use gift tactics to outrageous effect with doctors and their staff, so no reason why the theory wouldn't work with picking up girls.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its actually a low pressure way of saying hi and expressing an interest in talking. The best part is, the lady is under no expectation of doing anything other than holding up her drink and smiling at the guy to say thanks, then going back to whatever she was doing. If she is interested in talking to the guy, then she can come over and they can talk, if not, ah well, he is out a few bucks, but at least the pretty girl is smiling. :p
    I question whether this serves any purpose. Sure, it's low pressure for you, since it puts the ball in the hands of the other person. If the person is interested in talking to you, they'd come over, just as you said. As mentioned above, though, it doesn't really provide any incentive to do that. Which puts you... $5 down and still no talking to anyone.

I mean, if you really like to give away drinks, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. I'd take one too. And I guess it shows a minimum of interest, which might work in some situations, for a short time. But the odds are low that it won't (and, on a tangent, you'd also have to consider just what kind of people you'd be likely to catch on such a hook).

Most people go to the club to meet other people. If they wanted alcohol, they could get it from stores at like 1/5 of the price. Thus, offering interesting talk seems a more effective strategy to me.

25. - Top - End - #1375

I question whether this serves any purpose. Sure, it's low pressure for you, since it puts the ball in the hands of the other person. If the person is interested in talking to you, they'd come over, just as you said. As mentioned above, though, it doesn't really provide any incentive to do that. Which puts you... $5 down and still no talking to anyone.

I mean, if you really like to give away drinks, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. I'd take one too. And I guess it shows a minimum of interest, which might work in some situations, for a short time. But the odds are low that it won't (and, on a tangent, you'd also have to consider just what kind of people you'd be likely to catch on such a hook).

Most people go to the club to meet other people. If they wanted alcohol, they could get it from stores at like 1/5 of the price. Thus, offering interesting talk seems a more effective strategy to me.
    The thing is, its more to grab her attention than anything, "Hi, I am over here, if you think I look like I would be interesting to talk to, come on over, no pressure." It lets you stand out from the crowd so she can see the guy and think to herself, "Hmm, do I want to talk to this guy, or keep looking?" In a crowded club, it can be a bit like taking a glance at a wheres waldo page. There are too many people moving around to be able to easily find the type of person you might want to talk to. The sent drink basically puts an arrow over a specific person and gets her to focus on you for that moment instead of just scanning the room randomly.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    I'd say that the basic function of it is the feeling of obligation that was mentioned. I've been taking a course on business ethics this semester and the power of reciprocity in human nature is kinda amazing. Usually without even noticing it ourselves we become automatically biased to favor those who give us something. Receiving something for free can 'prep' a woman to be more favorable to the actual introduction. To put some of the examples we've looked at in class, pharmacy company reps use gift tactics to outrageous effect with doctors and their staff, so no reason why the theory wouldn't work with picking up girls.
    Hm, this reasoning does have merit, if you follow it up with an interesting introduction. After all, the doctors hardy used the medicine of it wasn't effective, gift or no gift, correct?

So the conclusion is, the drink can in some cases act as a primer for the introduction, but is very unlikely to work on its own and doesn't actually excuse a genuinely uninteresting introduction? Sounds about fair?

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The thing is, its more to grab her attention than anything, "Hi, I am over here, if you think I look like I would be interesting to talk to, come on over, no pressure." It lets you stand out from the crowd so she can see the guy and think to herself, "Hmm, do I want to talk to this guy, or keep looking?" In a crowded club, it can be a bit like taking a glance at a wheres waldo page. There are too many people moving around to be able to easily find the type of person you might want to talk to. The sent drink basically puts an arrow over a specific person and gets her to focus on you for that moment instead of just scanning the room randomly.
    Yeah, I suppose I have to admit that. I'm still not sure it always work, but I can admit that it might be a good lead-in, sometimes, for some people.

Although, I'm pretty sure I read an argument against it in a book at some point. I'll have to investigate this.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Not necessarily. Many people just want to hang out with their own group. For example, a group of women might go to a club just to have a few drinks and dance with each other. Another group of people might go to a bar just to have a few drinks and decompress after a week of work. Not everyone who goes out is looking to meet people.

29. - Top - End - #1379

Yeah, I suppose I have to admit that. I'm still not sure it always work, but I can admit that it might be a good lead-in, sometimes, for some people.

Although, I'm pretty sure I read an argument against it in a book at some point. I'll have to investigate this.
    Oh its not foolproof, it has its advantages and disadvantages just like any other method. But for me, the biggest plus is it removes a lot of the confrontation aspect of the meeting unlike walking right up to a girl and introducing yourself. You are basically forcing her to interact with you, even if its just to tell you to buzz off.

I look at the art of the pickup as like working in sales. The guy who walks right up and introduces himself is the telemarketer. He will get more sales than the laid back guy overall, but he will also have to deal with more hostile responses. The laid back guy who sends a drink over basically took out an ad in the paper and is waiting to see who will come to them showing an interest in the product. It has the advantage of, if the girl comes to you, then the sale is already halfway complete. If noone comes over you just wasted money on the ad space. :p

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently Eric can drink like a fish. Also, is a double Long Island Iced Tea even possible? That would be the equivalent of eight shots of alcohol.