New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP Part 23: Et tu, ~Bianca?

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Is your school that supportive then that they don't get any flak for it?
    No, it's just that most of the men are such perverts, that the girls have to create these outlandish personas to keep the guys away. Most of the men are always talking explicitly about sex with girls.

So the guys don't rip on the girls, because they want sex. What about the guys who are gay? They can't be openly gay, because then they get mocked into next week! Did I tell you guys about the homophobic student in my English class who actually said preached his homophobic beliefs to the rest of the class? The teacher was so shocked, that she took a minute to process what he was saying!

This entire thing is just really, really crappy. I hate it. I hate how girls are such a focus that they have to lie to get men to leave them alone, and that indirectly means that I can't be who I want to be, because then it means I'm going to be bullied.

Yes, I like to wear makeup on some days, and jeans and a t-shirt on others. But I can't, because people are so intolerant to men!
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Banned

Triscuitable, you seem to have conflicting points. :x

~~~

I keep my nail polish in a fedora in my closet.

~

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have so many hiding places. My mum and privacy are estranged cousins. :<
    *Hugs* :<

Hmm, I don't think it's a huge issue, but if it's really bothering you maybe revert it? Have the lady vampire bite a "guy" who's actually a trans girl that hasn't started transiting yet? (Or a guy vampire biting a pre-transition trans guy?)
    I can't help but wonder what would happen if one bit one of the opposite-gender-same-sex... It doesn't seem like that would go very well... :hmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    No, it's just that most of the men are such perverts, that the girls have to create these outlandish personas to keep the guys away. Most of the men are always talking explicitly about sex with girls.

So the guys don't rip on the girls, because they want sex. What about the guys who are gay? They can't be openly gay, because then they get mocked into next week! Did I tell you guys about the homophobic student in my English class who actually said preached his homophobic beliefs to the rest of the class? The teacher was so shocked, that she took a minute to process what he was saying!

This entire thing is just really, really crappy. I hate it. I hate how girls are such a focus that they have to lie to get men to leave them alone, and that indirectly means that I can't be who I want to be, because then it means I'm going to be bullied.

Yes, I like to wear makeup on some days, and jeans and a t-shirt on others. But I can't, because people are so intolerant to men!
    *So many hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    I keep my nail polish in a fedora in my closet.

~
    Clever!

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    *Glomps!* Thanks!

You're an amazing, talented, adorable guy who I know will find love someday.

~Bianca
    And that's really all I want out of life. (because I count the stage as a love affair. this might be a bit weird to explain to my future husband...)

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    I dunno, I think Bianca would pull that off well.
    Of course, did I say she didn't? especially with her skin tone, hair color and possibly eye color if the res was accurate in her pictures. if not then it would still look decent.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    *snip*

Pointing out: nothing about lavender blouses or pink plaid skirts that's inherently not-intimidating. That's just culture telling us lavender/blouse/pink/plaid = girly and girly = not intimidating. Of course, since it's worked so well, it would seem incongruous to us. Buuuuut... Oh, whatever. Just wanted to point it out. Carry on, Supernerd!
    1:MACHO!MAN 5:GROUP WORKOUT (that would be hot if they made a movie... )
    2:there is nothing girly about plaid, i just wanted multiple shades of pink and hate checkered patterns unless it's black and white, and pink stripes only work in certain cases. many of your Irish brethren will be looking for you now sporting ancestral kilts... and me, I wear plaid well, and blues, browns, white, and sometimes black.
    3: I'd wear that. and i am very fond of and comfortable with my penis. and withusing it to [redacted]

... Apparently Makayla (Dylan's girlfriend) has a crush on me. That was fast.

Dylan wouldn't be comfortable with us dating, though, so we're just going to be friends. It would've been weird anyway. [/QUOTE}

I know the feeling, it's so awkward!
    Exactly; society says that it isn't intimidating. It'd give me the second I need to lean back for a decisive kick. *shadow-boxes*

~Bianca[/QUOTE]

exactly, like i said, intimidating. because of the difference in colloquial perception and real capability.

Edit: So you know how last thread I said I was writing a gay romance with a sex scene early on for character development(let's my effectively psionic bard show compassion before shutting out the prince to "protect him")

also due to peer contribution there will be teleporting dinosaurs. basically dragons from the Dragon Riders of Pern series reflavored to pterodactyls. they will be the mounts for the Phoenix Guard, the prince's personal body guards, and there are seven of them due to symbolism requirements.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoilered for vampire story:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Glass Mouse: Either go for hormone balance, or more likely, don't bother making an explanation. For earlier works, it's better to focus on making sure your writing is good than getting the world down to a T.

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as publishing goes, putting up free stuff online helps a lot. Publishers are conservative. Not in the political meaning of the word, but they're risk averse. Either make something already like what's out there, or show that you have a built-in fanbase willing to hand over money for a printed product.

Which does get into larger social inertia issues (I'd kinda like to talk social justice from a cynic's perspective), but I can tell you this much. If you can show that a trans protagonist will sell, that'll open the doors for anybody else with a trans protagonist.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or anybody trying to cash in on the trend, unfortunately. But welcome to cynic's social justice. It's worth asking if you want to support an annoying/troublesome trope, if it helps displace one that's worse.
    You make some good points about publishing. I'll get around to building an audience some day (unfortunately, the biggest Danish writer's site has been down for... half a year now).
    The "get it published" is more of a "hey, the chance is here, so why not grab it?" thing. I'm not sure I'd bother trying if it was a novel (I haven't so far ).

'tis a cynical world. Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Interesting idea, although it might be a good idea to imply in-story that the logic of the vampiric blood-gendering is flawed. That might easily be done by making it obvious that the vampire should have died had the vampiree been female, though.

On a related note, this story kind of made me imagine vampires only drinking blood from those befitting their living orientation. Then I realised that asexuals would be quite troubled if they get turned. First time I have ruined my own chances at being a vampire. ^_^'
    Roger! I'll see to that, no matter what

I've actually toyed with that very same idea of orientation = victims. But I'm not sure what effects it would have on vampire society. I also need a story.
    It could be fun to do something where bi/pansexual vampires are on top of things because they can easily find food. I wonder if there'd even be a difference between homosexual and straight vampires, considering both only have one gender to choose from.
    Asexuals would either be unable to feed... or not need it? The latter would make them the strongest, but also very non-vampiric.

That all hinges on some kind of food shortage, though. And it all paints sexual orientation as much more clear-cut than it is. Hrmm.

I wonder what it'd be like for demisexuals? For all intents and purposes, they'd probably be like asexuals. Unless, instead, they had to scourge the world for victims who stirred in them the same feelings that loved ones did when they lived. So they'd have to kill mirrors of their old spouse, all the way to eternity.
    I'm such a sucker for tragedies, I might actually do that one

Hmm, I don't think it's a huge issue, but if it's really bothering you maybe revert it? Have the lady vampire bite a "guy" who's actually a trans girl that hasn't started transiting yet? (Or a guy vampire biting a pre-transition trans guy?)
    It has to be a male main character since that's a requirement for the story, *grumblestupidmalecentricrequirementsgrumble*, but otherwise a really good idea. I'm just not sure if the "female body, male mind" would be too much of a disconnect for the common reader.
    Gonna think that one over.

Oh, I also forgot... *tons of hugs* to anyone who might still need them from yesterday. You're all great, and I'm sorry the world gets you down
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of the men are always talking explicitly about sex with girls.
    Just going to zoom right in and focus on that since homophobes are bad and all that stuff.

But anyway why is it bad that the men are talking about sex? Sex is great. Everyone should talk more about sex. If everyone were totally open and explicit about sex it would stop being so much of a taboo and we would have no more of this bull**** "oh no a child saw a breast or it saw someone naked and THAT IS THE WORST THING EVER" reaction that is so popular amongst the media and the Think of The Children crowd.

De-tabooing sex would do us, as a society, good.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

7. - Top - End - #577
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    It has to be a male main character since that's a requirement for the story, *grumblestupidmalecentricrequirementsgrumble*, but otherwise a really good idea. I'm just not sure if the "female body, male mind" would be too much of a disconnect for the common reader.
    Gonna think that one over.
    Not true. I've read plenty of novels with female main characters. For example, I recently read the Mistborn trilogy and the primary main character was a
    girl. Many of the Pern books had female main characters. Otherland, the quartet I just read, has a female main character.

Edit: Or wait, did you say this was some kind of competition? With actual requirements? Lame. Make the main character a transman instead, recently turned vampire and discovering that the rules the other vampires told him don't work normally for him.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Edit: Or wait, did you say this was some kind of competition? With actual requirements? Lame. Make the main character a transman instead, recently turned vampire and discovering that the rules the other vampires told him don't work normally for him.
    A-yup. There are a bunch of requirements, some good (give the vampire an original spin), some lame (male main character, story must be written for men).

I feel a little bad that my original idea was pretty much a "gonna poke at that sexism!" reaction. The comment section is a wonderful little show of privilige blindness, but I do so love old-fashioned vampire stories... sigh.
    Oh well. Worst case, I've still written a few stories*. That's a win no matter what.

(but now I'm tempted to do some super trans vampire! Hah! )

*I have already written one about a bisexual vampire, but I don't like it because the "bisexual monster" trope is so prelavent, and I didn't manage to make him as sympathetic as I wanted. And more importantly, the story sucks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    But anyway why is it bad that the men are talking about sex? Sex is great. Everyone should talk more about sex. If everyone were totally open and explicit about sex it would stop being so much of a taboo and we would have no more of this bull**** "oh no a child saw a breast or it saw someone naked and THAT IS THE WORST THING EVER" reaction that is so popular amongst the media and the Think of The Children crowd.

Let's remember how people who supposedly back free, frank discussions of sexuality act when such things actually happen at a convention. Or in an elevator.

It's a noble goal in the abstract. I just doubt that it passes the "does this work when it hits real human beings?" test that any utopian ideology faces when people attempt to put it into practice.

Mouse:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the case you describe, the "you must eat your old gender" seems forced. You might be better off going with "you are what you eat". There's loads of precedent for things floating around in the victim's bloodstream affecting the vampire. (Drugs, diseases, etc.) When you consider the sex hormones floating around in there too, it might be interesting what happens to a vampire who doesn't keep that fact in mind.

Bonus points for throwing a huge curveball at heteronormativity/cisnormativity. Most vampires can be assumed to be both straight and cis, since that's what most of the population is. I'll go with Kinsey's 90% figure. Feeding is widely shown to have a strong erotic component. So do you continue to eat what used to turn you on (thus gender****ing you), or what you used to ID as? That would do fun things to their society even before you get to the protagonist being pointedly trans.
    Last edited by Reluctance; 2012-04-22 at 06:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    And that's really all I want out of life. (because I count the stage as a love affair. this might be a bit weird to explain to my future husband...)

Of course, did I say she didn't? especially with her skin tone, hair color and possibly eye color if the res was accurate in her pictures. if not then it would still look decent.

2:there is nothing girly about plaid, i just wanted multiple shades of pink and hate checkered patterns unless it's black and white, and pink stripes only work in certain cases. many of your Irish brethren will be looking for you now sporting ancestral kilts... and me, I wear plaid well, and blues, browns, white, and sometimes black.
    3: I'd wear that. and i am very fond of and comfortable with my penis. and withusing it to [redacted]
    1) All of these fantastic book titles are making me want to write an excerpt from MACHO!MAN 6: MASSIVE POWER TOOL! starring the self-inserts heroes Duke Clydesdale, and Chip Shetland and how they do NOTHING UNMANLY OR QUEER in saving the world from the forces of horrible turpitude that want to stop them building sheds that are just a little too small for two people to work in comfortably, or work out together at the gym so they can get PUMPED and get LADIES, which is certainly all they ever think about. Just hardwood and pneumatic drilling, you know. Nothing Else. At All.

Ever.

No, really guys, I'm serious

2) Plaid is just sort of tricky to match with things, especially plaid of unusual colors. It looks very nice when done correctly, but horribly clashes when wrong

3) Yes, no, no
    Whee!

Oh, and I know it's youth literature, but Tamora Piercre writes fantastic books with female protagonists. I particularly enjoyed her Lady Knight series
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

Just going to zoom right in and focus on that since homophobes are bad and all that stuff.

It's not great when it's CREEPY.

I can't talk about it. It's sick and wrong, and it just fills me with anger. Sex is fine. It's not cool when what these people discuss is borderline abuse.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

But anyway why is it bad that the men are talking about sex?
    I'd reckon it's more the way they talk about being insensitive and insulting the intelligence of all parties involved. Both in the army and vocational institute, I often wished to not be a man solely on the grounds that I didn't want to be mixed with the idiot horndogs some of my comrades portrayed themselves as. They really made the whole male sex look bad from time to time...
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-04-22 at 06:25 PM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selpharia View Post
    Oh, and I know it's youth literature, but Tamora Piercre writes fantastic books with female protagonists. I particularly enjoyed her Lady Knight series
    Squee! She was among my favorite authors when I was young! But I preferred the Circle of Magic. The characters and story from the first quadrologi were a huge inspiration for my own fantasy writings for years

(and a quick glance at Wiki tells me that my library didn't stock close to her full bibliografi. Is it worth catching up, or are they best when you're a kid?)
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

De-tabooing sex? I don't know, it's already in an unstable state that combines familiarity and taboo. I'm seeing way too many innuendos in ads for products that don't have anything to do directly with sex, let alone the rest of the media.
    What I think is necessary is not so much de-tabooing as stop advertising it as one of the most important goals to achieve in one's life.
    Hell, too many people still see wives and girlfriends as a more "pure" kind of prostitutes. Sex with them is the end goal; you gotta pay for that service beforehand (through affection and other material goods), but they have the bonus of taking care of chores at home. If you have a wife/girlfriend, you're ultimately in just for the sex, and the rest is the means to that end. It's certainly not taboo, only (obvious) subtext. "If I don't get my wife gifts every month, I don't get any, it's getting really expensive."
    If we could just admit that sex is just an generally pleasurable activity like many others, and that it isn't a key achievement, then it would be better for society as a whole. Everyone would be more relaxed around it. Lifting the taboo isn't enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

15. - Top - End - #585
    Banned

In lighter news.; My cousin gots a girlfriend! After five minutes of talking, she suggested doing my nails, giving me makeup and going shopping for clothes.

~Bianca
    Sweet, congrats! Also, would you mind bring called Bian?

KenderWizard, perhaps we can collaborate, rather than airmail? Giving Bianca's friend monies via PayPal to get stuff for her? Cheaper than shipping, and includes privacy protection since addresses do not need to be given.

Child of the 90's. I suggest Don't Tread On Me.
    I second this one.

About Tamora Pierce: read the four on Alanna about a year ago, and enjoyed them. Don't think they age poorly.

16. - Top - End - #586

Re; Tamora Pierce- I'm 23, and I ended up reading the Protector of the Small Quartet least summer. I saw no problems with the material aging.

Going to throw my support in with Musashi on making sex less all-consumingly important.
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

17. - Top - End - #587
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, Frozen Feet! Is it just me, or did you disappear for a while? *Hugs*

*Hugs*

^_^

My eyes are on the dark-brown end of hazel.

Macho, macho man, yeah! I want to be, a macho man...

Edit: So you know how last thread I said I was writing a gay romance with a sex scene early on for character development(let's my effectively psionic bard show compassion before shutting out the prince to "protect him")

also due to peer contribution there will be teleporting dinosaurs. basically dragons from the Dragon Riders of Pern series reflavored to pterodactyls. they will be the mounts for the Phoenix Guard, the prince's personal body guards, and there are seven of them due to symbolism requirements.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Sweet, congrats! Also, would you mind bring called Bian?
    Not particularly. It's kinda tricky not to read it as "Brian", but it doesn't bother me.

KenderWizard, perhaps we can collaborate, rather than airmail? Giving Bianca's friend monies via PayPal to get stuff for her? Cheaper than shipping, and includes privacy protection since addresses do not need to be given.
    Uh... Thanks, but I don't have a bank account either... >.>

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    I'd reckon it's more the way they talk about being insensitive and insulting the intelligence of all parties involved. Both in the army and vocational institute, I often wished to not be a man solely on the grounds that I didn't want to be mixed with the idiot horndogs some of my comrades portrayed themselves as. They really made the whole male sex look bad from time to time...
    Do I think sex is bad? No. Do I have high moral standards concerning it? Yes. Will I let this spoil anyone's fun? Well, it depends on the nature.

Do I think this is so unbelievably vile that I want to vomit? Yes.

Was it bad enough that girls don't want to be with any of the guys, to the point that they will date other girls so they can avoid how disgusting and insensitive these men are? YES.

19. - Top - End - #589

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    De-tabooing sex? I don't know, it's already in an unstable state that combines familiarity and taboo. I'm seeing way too many innuendos in ads for products that don't have anything to do directly with sex, let alone the rest of the media.
    What I think is necessary is not so much de-tabooing as stop advertising it as one of the most important goals to achieve in one's life.
    Hell, too many people still see wives and girlfriends as a more "pure" kind of prostitutes. Sex with them is the end goal; you gotta pay for that service beforehand (through affection and other material goods), but they have the bonus of taking care of chores at home. If you have a wife/girlfriend, you're ultimately in just for the sex, and the rest is the means to that end. It's certainly not taboo, only (obvious) subtext. "If I don't get my wife gifts every month, I don't get any, it's getting really expensive."
    If we could just admit that sex is just an generally pleasurable activity like many others, and that it isn't a key achievement, then it would be better for society as a whole. Everyone would be more relaxed around it. Lifting the taboo isn't enough.
    Well, from a biological standpoint, sex is a key achievement. Because it leads to the propagation of one's genetic material.
    (I don't really get sex, so that's my take on it.)

Do I think sex is bad? No. Do I have high moral standards concerning it? Yes. Will I let this spoil anyone's fun? Well, it depends on the nature.

Do I think this is so unbelievably vile that I want to vomit? Yes.

Was it bad enough that girls don't want to be with any of the guys, to the point that they will date other girls so they can avoid how disgusting and insensitive these men are? YES.

Can I please come to your school and beat up all those guys? And then host a seminar on being a real man? The former is unnecessary but would feel good.
    Jude P.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Can I please come to your school and beat up all those guys? And then host a seminar on being a real man? The former is unnecessary but would feel good.
    No, no, no. Violence isn't cool, even if these are disgusting pigs we're talking about. No matter how often I speak of it, I cannot go through with it. Ever.

21. - Top - End - #591

No, no, no. Violence isn't cool, even if these are disgusting pigs we're talking about. No matter how often I speak of it, I cannot go through with it. Ever.
    Is the seminar still okay? Can I at least rap knuckles with a meterstick?
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Squee! She was among my favorite authors when I was young! But I preferred the Circle of Magic. The characters and story from the first quadrologi were a huge inspiration for my own fantasy writings for years

(and a quick glance at Wiki tells me that my library didn't stock close to her full bibliografi. Is it worth catching up, or are they best when you're a kid?)
    Tamora Pierce is still one of my favourite authors. And one thing I get from rereading her books is that I can actually see her getting better at writing as she goes along. So yeah, I'd say it's worth catching up.

(also, gay characters and positive spins on sex and sexuality and stuff like that)

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

Is the seminar still okay? Can I at least rap knuckles with a meterstick?
    I'm serious. No violence, period.

But the seminar should be fine. I'll talk to the VP.

24. - Top - End - #594

I'm serious. No violence, period.

But the seminar should be fine. I'll talk to the VP.
    I'd suggest finding someone a wee bit closer to give that seminar, though. Much as I'd like to I don't think I can get all the way from here to there.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Banned

Not particularly. It's kinda tricky not to read it as "Brian", but it doesn't bother me.
    Blegh. Okie doke, I'll refrain. I'd hate to call you briàn by accident.
    ...huh. Briàn is a word? Silly iOS.

Uh... Thanks, but I don't have a bank account either... >.>
    No silly, Dylan's-girlfriend, so when she takes you shopping you can get stuff. Although the more I say it all out loud the less fun and the more creepy it gets >.<

Oh well.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Dwarf in the Playground

I believe you're missing the point, even if you already seem to get hints of it:

While they obviously want to interact with the girls, most of the act is aimed at other men. Men who conform will get assigned a place in the male social network, men who don't will not and will likely get antagonized by those who do, as you pointed out. Women are part of the equation, but they're not the driving force behind the way they act.

The irony is that this is a quite male-centric behaviour. Those people are far more interested in men than they'll ever get confortable realising.

On the other hand, the same will likely apply to the girls: It's very unlikely they're behaving as you describe simply because they've taken a dislike to the men there.
    Last edited by Tonal Architect; 2012-04-23 at 02:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Well, from a biological standpoint, sex is a key achievement. Because it leads to the propagation of one's genetic material.
    (I don't really get sex, so that's my take on it.)
    That, I get. The "funny" part is that out of all the times sex is involved, there's a very low percentage of acts made with the explicit intention to make babies.
    To complete the example above, men are generally considered "trapped" if they get their partner pregnant. They're supposed to be the ones asking for that activity, but rarely seem to desire the biological consequences.
    Beside sex, few other biological imperatives get the same treatment. For many people, food is less important than some arbitrary good shape; sleep hinders work and fun activities; diseases are always treated no matter how life-threatening or incurable they are; every day people get their bodies permanently altered for purely aesthetic purposes. (Again, these activities are vastly unnatural, and sometimes irrational, but that doesn't make them bad, far from it.)
    Of course, I may be biased in that I don't generally like sex nor children...
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Not absolutely of course, but he seems to think that there is a correlation. Remember, this is a hypothesis and a rather speculative one at that. And does Heliomance seem bipolar to you?
    I'm not a good example. I have Asperger's, which IIRC has a very low comorbidity with bipolar.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

I was wondering why you put plaid in with the girly stuff! I put it down to cultural differences!

I absolutely agree that we should have a healthier dialogue around sex, especially from responsible older people (parents, teachers, childminders) towards children. More "sex is a natural and good thing that adults do together for fun or to be intimate or to make babies, or sometimes all three!" and less "Shh! That's dirty!"

However, there is a vast gulf between "healthy conversation about sex so it isn't painted as something dirty but as a normal part of life" and "hitting on girls". None of us except Triscuitable know how things are going on in that particular school, and none of us at all can say what individual people in the school are thinking.

If it is the case that, as sometimes happens, and has been suggested, the male students have gotten stuck in a self-perpetuating culture of "skirt-chasing" and the atmosphere in the school is hostile to gender-nonconformism, but the punishment for being nonconforming for a girl is lesser than the hassle of sexual harassment (which is what unwanted sexual attention is when it's blatant and unapologetic), then the girls who feel comfortable doing so will defend themselves by not conforming to heteronormativity, and if it works, other girls will join in to avoid the sexual harassment. With a smaller group of "available" girls and without the cycle breaking, this probably has the effect of making the boy side of the problem worse. Which is really really crappy and might need outside influence (ie school administration) to stabilise again.

I feel very strongly for everyone at the school being affected by this toxic atmosphere, particularly the girls trying to escape unwanted attention (because I would have HATED that - still do). If possible, I would make a complaint to the principle or sympathetic teacher. If there's time available (too often there isn't) in a student health class or some such, there are ways to deal with that kind of atmosphere in a school.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    That would actually be harder for me to do! My money doesn't intersect easily with the internet. And apparently it would be tricky on Bianca's end too. Good idea, though!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

30. - Top - End - #600

ElfMonkGuy

I haven't noticed much good from it, which is why I haven't bothered the last few years. It does spread awareness a bit, but in high school I saw a lot of mockery of the participants (because they can't talk back to protect themselves), and in general a bunch of apathy because "Those are gay-people issues, and I'm straight, so who cares?"
    I did the DOS. It was not well. Got called a "Homo huger" .
    It just sucked.

"Those are gay-people issues, and I'm straight, so who cares?"
    Sums up what most of my buddys thing
    [QUOTE=Laser Frog;13102485]THIS JUST IN!

...This thread moves really fast. Or maybe it just seems that way when all you've been doing is lurking and not posting. >_> I blame everything.

[QUOTE]
    Amen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    Yes. We kissed the first day we met silly. You gotta keep up. But we have kissed more since then. Innocent playful kisses though. He is a good good Catholic boy.

Let's see like last week we met up for dinner cuz he was passing through my city on the way back from some college visits in PA. It was yummy, and we held hands in front of his mom, though I'm worried he wasn't entirely comfortable doing that. But we kissed after that.

I'm still planning our trip to Longwood Gardens that is supposed to happen on the 28th though.
    Sooo cute *random hug*

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My dad was listening to O'Reilly on the radio with me in the car, and a story about Unique on Glee came up, and blah blah blah pandering to .3% of people, stupid crossdressers, etc. kind of a punch in the gut. I had *some* hope I could come out, ever, but now...

~
    That is horribal! *HUG* I hope the mega hug helps .

*Holds tightly* Yesterday my mom randomly looked at my nails...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Her: "Ugh, Scotty, I don't know how you stand having your nails like that. Ugh! Like something out of a vampire movie - ugh!"

Me: "I like them."

Her: [exactly what she just said]

Me: [exactly what I just said]

Me: "That reminds me, can I have nail polish or something? I'm getting tired of them bending on things."

Her: *Horrified look* "Uh-uh. That's Gay. Girls paint their nails." (Have I mentioned she's an utter misogynist? )

Me: "It's not painting, it's reinforcing them so they don't break on me." (they're not really likely to anytime soon - the last time I trimmed my thumbnail I found that the trimming was capable of being folded in the same place about 3 times before it even started to form a white line)

Her: [Exactly what she just said, plus a rather rude comment about clipping them]

Me: "Don't they make clear polish, or varnish or something? I don't see how it's girly to make part of you stronger."

Her: [Some other homophobic comment]

She proceeded to glance at them every five seconds or so until we reached my friend's house. I considered telling her to stop, but then I remembered how she always made me cut my hair so I subtly angled them to make certain she'd get an eyeful.

~Bianca
    That.....i dont know what to say *Hug*

P.S. Ill send you some polish baked into a cake or something if you cant get any lol

Did you guys know it's suddenly a fad to be a transman? None of the guys at my school are openly trans, however all the girls will openly boast about being bisexual, or lesbian, or transsexual! I don't know whether it's offensive or just stupid. It rubs me the wrong way, though. So I put this song here. I'm not sure what it implies. Maybe I just like it?
    I !@#%$ HATE THAT! My sister tryed that with her "girlfriend" last year and they were (and I quote) "in love" so i told them that if they were lesbine they would DUMP THIER BOYFRIENDS SINCE YOU LIKE GIRLS.

They stoped affter that.

Funny how they are called cool and im call homophobic name
    Poems!
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)