New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [3.5 base class]

the construct teratomorphism "spellward" is worded oddly, could you explain what it means?

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    the construct teratomorphism "spellward" is worded oddly, could you explain what it means?
    Spellward makes you immune to spells that allow spell resistance, as long as said spells have a maximum spell level equal to, or less, than your highest available rank of teratomorphisms. Said rank is 3° at level 8 and 6° at level 17.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

3. - Top - End - #603
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Making a spell casting shapeShifter, could the elemntal attack mutation be applied to the Arms of the outer planes teratamorphism.

I know as worded it wouldn't but I can see it going either way from a conceptual percpective.

Help? Thanks

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiacomon View Post
    Making a spell casting shapeShifter, could the elemntal attack mutation be applied to the Arms of the outer planes teratamorphism.

I know as worded it wouldn't but I can see it going either way from a conceptual percpective.

Help? Thanks
    The elemental infusion mutation in the Elemental list does what you want.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

So what counts for changing your form for access to mutations? Size-change spells? Polymorph effects? Any transmutation effect?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm wanting to bring evolutionist mechanics into the class I'm currently writing:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=15228375

This would be done as a PrC, an ACF and by including it's effects into the BIO type sprayer (BIOs), utilizing temporary mutations (very temporary).

If any ideas scream out to you let me know, otherwise I'll be slowly working this in as I have time to.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    So what counts for changing your form for access to mutations? Size-change spells? Polymorph effects? Any transmutation effect?
    That is supposed to apply to Polymorph effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    I'm wanting to bring evolutionist mechanics into the class I'm currently writing:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=15228375

This would be done as a PrC, an ACF and by including it's effects into the BIO type sprayer (BIOs), utilizing temporary mutations (very temporary).

If any ideas scream out to you let me know, otherwise I'll be slowly working this in as I have time to.
    Sure, go for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #608

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    That is supposed to apply to Polymorph effects.
    What about a ritual that permanently changes you from one type of creature to another? For example, Dwarf to Ogre.
    Last edited by Omnicrat; 2013-06-08 at 12:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    What about a ritual that permanently changes you from one type of creature to another? For example, Dwarf to Ogre.
    Such a ritual would be based upon a polymorph effect (probably POA, since it's permanent), so you would lose such.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Such a ritual would be based upon a polymorph effect (probably POA, since it's permanent), so you would lose such.
    The purpose of that rule is to prevent polymorph abuse with the various powers of the class.

And as far as rituals go, I honestly have not heard of them being used in anything but TO, which is pretty much aimed at locating abuses. So there is that.

If a legitimate use of the rituals is in place, the rule can be waived as long as by the end of it the character is not considered "polymorphed".
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

So if I take the Detect Thoughts mutation and get the ability to not have to concentrate on it, I can apply the mind-reading bonuses from the new mutation to everybody that fails the save, right?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

So if I take the Detect Thoughts mutation and get the ability to not have to concentrate on it, I can apply the mind-reading bonuses from the new mutation to everybody that fails the save, right?
    Yes. All hail the filler gods.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I don't quite understand Gloom. The rules for 'inky darkness' seem kind of pointless- I mean, once you radiate complete darkness, everything in it is effectively blind, rather than just beyond five feet, and since it's magical creatures with darkvision can't see through it anyway. What's the purpose of the upgrade at seven mutations if it's not as powerful as the effect of complete darkness?

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    So, I don't quite understand Gloom. The rules for 'inky darkness' seem kind of pointless- I mean, once you radiate complete darkness, everything in it is effectively blind, rather than just beyond five feet, and since it's magical creatures with darkvision can't see through it anyway. What's the purpose of the upgrade at seven mutations if it's not as powerful as the effect of complete darkness?
    Complete darkness does not mean magical darkness. It means complete darkness.

For the record:

Shadowy illumination - provides concealment against creatures without Darkvision or low-light vision.

Complete Darkness - creatures without Darkvision are effectively blind.

"Inky Darkness" as per the rank 7 of the mutation, is effectively a Fog effect.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, okay, but on creatures without Darkvision, it's actually worse.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, okay, but on creatures without Darkvision, it's actually worse.
    Addressed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and I realized where I got confused: It says 'similar to a Darkness spell', which does negate darkvision. I think that might need to be specified in the text.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

What about another purchase of the Alternate Form ability that allows you to appear as if you don't have any mutations, but whenever you use one that would be nonfunctional if you were in a different form it automatically becomes apparent? So like you punch a seemingly normal old man and suddenly his flesh around the impact is made of rock, and then he grows two more heads and nasty venomous jaws and gobbles you up.

19. - Top - End - #619

What about another purchase of the Alternate Form ability that allows you to appear as if you don't have any mutations, but whenever you use one that would be nonfunctional if you were in a different form it automatically becomes apparent? So like you punch a seemingly normal old man and suddenly his flesh around the impact is made of rock, and then he grows two more heads and nasty venomous jaws and gobbles you up.
    That'd be called a Worldly Guise.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

hey...what if we all tried to create the most über awesome build we could make with this class? just straight evolutionist, creating NPCs of 10th level, and having them battle to da death!
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

21. - Top - End - #621

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is an awesome class I've wanted to try in a campaign for a long time now. I also really wish there was a handbook for this class to help show some of the more powerful options you could have with this class.

Edit: I remember there being a feat that gave extra mutations but can't find it now. Was it taken away? If so are there any ways I can covert feats into extra mutations?

Also, the Chimerism's, I can find the feats for them but not the section that describes them themselves or how many mutations they hold. Is this described more on a separate page?

Ignore the last bit, I found it further down hidden by others posts :P
    Last edited by Gwazi Magnum; 2013-06-11 at 09:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    hey...what if we all tried to create the most über awesome build we could make with this class? just straight evolutionist, creating NPCs of 10th level, and having them battle to da death!
    That is more of an idea for the game recruitment area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwazi Magnum View Post
    This is an awesome class I've wanted to try in a campaign for a long time now. I also really wish there was a handbook for this class to help show some of the more powerful options you could have with this class.

Edit: I remember there being a feat that gave extra mutations but can't find it now. Was it taken away? If so are there any ways I can covert feats into extra mutations?

Also, the Chimerism's, I can find the feats for them but not the section that describes them themselves or how many mutations they hold. Is this described more on a separate page?

Ignore the last bit, I found it further down hidden by others posts :P
    There was a feat, "Great Changer" but it was removed some time ago, when I increased the number of mutations the character gets as a baseline. It was removed because the feat was pretty much always the best option for your feats and the class still kind of felt starved for mutations at times.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #623

OrcBarbarianGuy

There was a feat, "Great Changer" but it was removed some time ago, when I increased the number of mutations the character gets as a baseline. It was removed because the feat was pretty much always the best option for your feats and the class still kind of felt starved for mutations at times.
    Ah, ok then.

Does that mean the only mutations we can get now are through class levels? Or are there ways to gain more than the +4 per level? Other than the Chimerisms that is.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwazi Magnum View Post
    Ah, ok then.

Does that mean the only mutations we can get now are through class levels? Or are there ways to gain more than the +4 per level? Other than the Chimerisms that is.
    The only way to get more mutations is through the feats that enable the secial lists (one extra each) or some prestige classes (Malshaper and Anomaly, chiefly)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

25. - Top - End - #625

OrcBarbarianGuy

The only way to get more mutations is through the feats that enable the secial lists (one extra each) or some prestige classes (Malshaper and Anomaly, chiefly)
    Ok, looks like mutations will need to be a bit more specialized then.
    Thanks. :)

26. - Top - End - #626
    Halfling in the Playground

OK about to use your class in a campaign and was going to make a Aasimer thats trying to be like his ancestor a solar. Now as an Aasimer I'm an outsider (native), this I understand allows me to use the outsider mutations.
    My question is when I hit level 10 and choose outsider ascendancy, I assume I stay outsider (native), unless I choose another plane like the 7 mounting heavens of Celestia. Now should I choose another plane as my home I'm assuming I'd lose my native subtype making me a true outsider; in this example what happens when I die?
    Once I'm capable of taking the Teratomorphism planar renewal then I can revive on my new home plane, but that is a full level away. Also for example once I am level 11 and have planar renewal but not planes walker at 14 how would I get back to my group. Its almost like my home plane of Celestia is now my prison, a nice and enjoyable prison but still a prison.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sherishade View Post
    OK about to use your class in a campaign and was going to make a Aasimer thats trying to be like his ancestor a solar. Now as an Aasimer I'm an outsider (native), this I understand allows me to use the outsider mutations.
    My question is when I hit level 10 and choose outsider ascendancy, I assume I stay outsider (native), unless I choose another plane like the 7 mounting heavens of Celestia. Now should I choose another plane as my home I'm assuming I'd lose my native subtype making me a true outsider; in this example what happens when I die?
    Once I'm capable of taking the Teratomorphism planar renewal then I can revive on my new home plane, but that is a full level away. Also for example once I am level 11 and have planar renewal but not planes walker at 14 how would I get back to my group. Its almost like my home plane of Celestia is now my prison, a nice and enjoyable prison but still a prison.
    By the rules, you keep the native subtype, even if you are no longer a native of the material (which means you can be resurrected, etc), and if you die without planar renewal, well, you die, simple as that.

As for returning to the material after Planar Renewal revives you in Celestia, even if you can't return on your own power:

1. You can always request of a local outsider to planeshift you back and pay their fee.

2. You can look for a way to Sigil and from there to the material.

3. Your allies can cast Planar Binding/Planar Ally, you are a viable target. They can also cast Planeshift to get you. At 11th level, a cleric or wizard could do it.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-06-12 at 07:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

28. - Top - End - #628
    Halfling in the Playground

Thanks for the quick response and ouuuu Sigil now theres a interesting detour forgot all about the City of Doors.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I haven't looked the entire class over me, but one thing is really buggering me: The Regeneration I tetramorph. It is severely overpowered in my own opinion. The time required to regenerate body parts is much too fast: Trolls, who are basically 'the' regenerating monsters, need 3d6 minutes to recover their lost limbs, which, on average, makes about 10 or 11 minutes, which is much more than what the Evolutionist would get.

Also, the amount: You get fast healing 4, stacking with every other type (which most of this type do not), which turns into a whopping 14 if it's about non-lethal damage, which, after you take the second tetramorphism basically makes you capable of standing in the middle of a crowd who are trying to cut you up, and healing every single point of damage they do. And even at level 8, when they get the first, especially if they manage to find some other way to convert damage to nonlethal, it already makes them very hard to kill.

Also, you almost completely stopped the weakness that regeneration has: They can heal nonlethal damage, but not if it's turned into lethal damage because they were hit by something that bypasses it. Now something bypassing it is just a minor nuisance, since they can heal it slightly less fast.

I am not a class-maker, of course, but this seems very, very powerful, especially in the hands of a PC.

If I might make a suggestion: Make it a bit more segmented. Have it, for instance, be at II, IV, and VI: Regeneration 1, at II, gives fast healing 2, which doesn't stack unless the other ability says it does (Like the mutation), 2, at IV, you can improve it to fast healing 4, or only take it then, and get fast healing 2, combined with the ability to reattach lost limbs at most (con modifier) rounds after you lost them. 3, at VI, gives you regeneration 1, or increases your fast healing by 1, and turns it into regeneration.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Um, just to point out, to both the the dude above me and the original post containing the regeneration mutation: Fast healing doesn't "stack", because it's an ability, not a boost. It's like having DR of two different types. If you have dr5/silver and dr3/silver or good, they don't combine to make dr8/silver or good. Similarly, if you have fast healing 1 and fast healing 2, they don't cmmbine to make fast healing 3, you just have two different instances of fast healing. They both do activate at the same time, so the effect is similar, but fast healing is not stacking with anything, so stating whether is does or doesn't stack is pointless.