New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

A 455

RAW is somewhat ambiguous. While it is possible to attack and damage objects, it isn't clear whether you do that a power's effects other than damage will actually work on them. The rules just say that a power can target objects at the DM's discretion (Rules Compendium p.176).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Q456: So, rereading the Elementalist class in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, and I realize something. I don't believe it says wheter it gets dailies or not! Any information on that?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

A456. No, the Elementalist-Sorcerer does not get daily attack powers from their class, similar to the Knight/Slayer/Thief.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 457

Do feats Implement Expertise (Wand) and Reckless Curse (+1 to attack against cursed enemy) stack?
    They are both feat bonuses, I understand, but the latter is ... circumstantial or something? I mean, no one would take Reckless Curse if it didn't stack...

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

A 457 Reckless Curse is not a feat bonus. It may be a bonus granted by a feat, but that's not the same thing. So yes, they stack.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

A 457

Yes they do, because the bonus from Reckless Curse is not a feat bonus. It is a bonus from a feat, but the bonus itself is unnamed. Read it again; it says "You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls..." but not "You gain a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls." That word "feat" that could potentially be in there is what would make it a feat bonus, not just the fact that it's a bonus from a feat.

The expertise feats have had errata that turns their bonuses into feat bonuses, which do not stack with other feat bonuses. Unnamed bonuses, such as those provided by most feats, stack with all other bonuses except those from the same source.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Q458

I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. Except my DM. He says that the Staff is a 2-handed implement. He demands proof that it's not. My searches have shown ... nothing. I can't find it in the Rules Compendium or online. I thought it was in a rule-of-three, but I couldn't find it there. I'm about to go search again, and if I find it, I'll post my own answer.

But, where does it explicitly say that the staff is a 1-handed implement?

Thanks.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A458

I'm kinda lost/shocked as well as how hard it is to find it! (But it's really early in the morning here).
    Maybe this can help you for now, an answer from customer service, and I hope I'll be able to soon Edit this post with book and page number.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...3182#334793182

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

A458 PHB1, page 13. And no, there's no more explicit rule than that.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2012-10-01 at 05:53 AM.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A458 unorthodox cont.

lol

11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    A458 PHB1, page 13. And no, there's no more explicit rule than that.
    You, sir, gain a plate of +2 cookies of awesome.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Q 459

Warlock charges 3 squares, becomes invisible using Shadow Walk feature, and hits with Eldritch Strike. He has a +1 to-hit for charging, but does the invisibility give a bonus to-hit as well? Having a dumb moment at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

A 459
    He is only Concealed, not invisible. So, no combat advantage unless he has a feat or gear which gives him combat advantage for being concealed. (And he should have the feat - it's among the best for Warlocks, period.)

Shadow Walk doesn't have a timing listed, so it's not clear when it kicks in. At this point, I think it's DM's ruling - does it kick in as soon as he moves at least 3 squares? Or does the charge action resolve before the concealment kicks in? I'd probably rule the latter, but YMMV.

-O

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

A 459 If he actually were invisible, then the defending creature would grant combat advantage (so that's a +2 to hit, but it doesn't stack with other means of CA). However, Shadow Walk doesn't make you invisible.

15. - Top - End - #315

Q 460

What's the difference between "total concealment", "no line of sight", "invisible", and "hidden"? Both in terms of how you get them, and how they benefit you.

Which of them imply which of the others?

Which prevent an opponent from getting CA?

Which give you CA (and what other conditions need to be in place)?

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A460

Let's start with the first two, Total Concealment and Line of Sight:

Total Concealment is a +5 bonus to defenses due to a situation where you're (mostly) hidden from sight. However, you're not actually physically blocked from attacks, just hard to pin point. A thick fog or heavy darkness are good examples of this.

No Line of Sight is essentially that, no line of sight between yourself and the target (or the attacker and you inversely). Usually caused by walls or other blocking terrain in your path. This usually implies that Line of Sight can be regained through movement (ie: moving around the wall).

Neither condition grants or prevents combat advantage, however, they do link in with Hidden.

Hidden is a condition which comes up when you make a successful stealth check (opposed by your enemy's perception score). While in total cover, concealment or outside of sight, you can make a stealth check to become hidden. Upon doing this, you gain CA against any enemy you attack while hidden (you become unhidden when you attack, so usually you only get CA against one enemy). You can also lose your hidden condition by moving out of a situation where you can stay hidden (ie: stepping out into the open).

Invisible is just that, you're physically invisible to the enemy, regardless of the amount of cover or concealment you have. You automatically gain combat advantage against any target you attack while invisible (unless they have some method of sensing you) and you can't be properly targeted (there are rules for targeting hidden enemies).

17. - Top - End - #317

ClericGuy

A460, cont: one of the weirdest (but legitimate) gripes with the system is that invisibility does not equal "hidden". If you're "hidden" from an enemy, they have no idea where you are (or in some cases, that you're even there). If you're invisible, they do know where you are, even if they can't see you.

Also, some attacks (close attacks and bursts) don't allow the -5 penalty to attack rolls (Rules Comp p. 221, probably a listing in the PHB too). Thus, one of the disadvantages to being invisible (over being hidden) is that you can accurately target an invisible creature with, say, a close burst attack. If they're hidden, you have to literally guess where they are, so you may end up making an attack roll against thin air (or, perhaps more likely, thick smoke).

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 461

Pact Initiate feat, PHB 208, states that I can
    [...] use a rod, a wand or a pact blade as an implement when using a warlock power or a warlock paragon path power.
    Does that mean that I can use wands with stored powers in them? If yes, must a warlock power be inside, or can I use a wand with, say, wizard's? Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #319

A461
    Originally no, only Warlock or Warlock PP powers. However, the use of implements got freed up be a rules update and now don't have this type of restriction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pact Initiate [Multiclass Warlock]
    ...In addition, you can use a rod, a wand, or a pact blade as an implement.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

20. - Top - End - #320
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A461

If you have wand proficiency (which Warlocks do, as you note), then you can use the powers on wands, even if those powers are not warlock ones. For example, you should be able to use "Thunderwave" encounter power on the Master's Wand of Thunderwave, even though you're not a Wizard.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Q462

When selecting a hybrid's fourth class-based utility power, is there any restriction on which class must provide it? I seem to recall a rule requiring rough balance in power selection, but I can only find a rule saying that you must have at least one of each kind of power of which you have two from each class.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

A462 No restriction - you simply need one utility power from each class. Note that this may prevent you from taking race- or skill-based utility powers at early levels.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
    Q 460

What's the difference between "total concealment", "no line of sight", "invisible", and "hidden"? Both in terms of how you get them, and how they benefit you.

Which of them imply which of the others?

Which prevent an opponent from getting CA?

Which give you CA (and what other conditions need to be in place)?
    http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...al_concealment

Though I already gave you my ruling in the FTDM game, I feel I should clarify the matter for others using this thread for guidance.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Q 463

Are there any classes that have use for a high Con and Dex score? Preferably primary and secondary stats in a Striker or Controller, but anything is helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Q 463

Are there any classes that have use for a high Con and Dex score? Preferably primary and secondary stats in a Striker or Controller, but anything is helpful.
    Yes.

What? You only asked a yes or no question! :p Old Assassin and Monk.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Tegu (A2; 463)

Battlemind for primary Con. I think that's the only one with Con primary.
    I'm unsure about and exhaustive list for secondaries for Con, though I know the Warlock, Sentinel, and several defenders utilize it.

For Dex primaries, we have Assassin, [Executioner is a straight upgrade], ranged Rangers, Vampires [not a real class, but better when hybridized], Rogue, and the Slayer is practically Dex based, with Str being used for pretty much it's MBA. I can update if I recall more.
    For secondaries, I know a rider of the Sorcerer, and the Fighter uses it too. There may be more.
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    My stupid blog on religion and stuff.
    My stupid blog on love. (Ask me stuff!)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 464

What happens when an unarmed Ranger with Quick Draw uses Twin Strike? Can he draw both main and off-hand weapon to strike?

28. - Top - End - #328

ClericGuy

A464 The feat does not care how many other weapons you do draw is used in the attack. You can draw both your main and off-hand weapon, as they are both a requirement of using the power in melee.

As a further example, you could use Quick Draw with the Ranger 17 power "Surpressing Shots" to draw (and throw) as many sheathed, non-magical daggers as there are targets in the power's burst.

Note that due to RAW quirkiness, you couldn't pull an extra dagger out to wield after throwing one dagger at each target (at least, as part of the attack; you could spend the appropriate action to draw one afterwards as always), which is a restriction of the feat. And yes, one magical dagger +1 would replace every single non-magical dagger AND return to your hand afterwards, but I thought a larger example might help

29. - Top - End - #329

Q 465
    Are there methods of upgrading the level of a character's rod, wand or similar implement? Or must the item simply be replaced for a better bonus.

30. - Top - End - #330

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HappyBlanket View Post
    Q 465
    Are there methods of upgrading the level of a character's rod, wand or similar implement? Or must the item simply be replaced for a better bonus.
    A465: Without being more specific, you probably want the "Enchant Magic Item" ritual (PHB pg 304). It allows you to (for example) upgrade a +2 weapon to a +3 version by spending the difference in cost between the +3 and +2 version.

For example, the +3 version of Dwarven Armor (lvl 12 magic item) costs 13,000gp. The +4 version (a level 17 magic item) costs 65,000gp. A player can therefore use the Enchant Magic Item ritual, and spend 52,000gp to upgrade a +3 Dwarven Armor to a +4 version. Note however, that the person using the ritual must be level 17 or higher (the level of the +4 Dwarven Armor) in order to "enhance" the +3 version.