New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

A #466

Some weapon feats require that your stats are at least a certain level. A secondary stat shouldn't be a problem, and a decent tertiary stat can handle most of them. You can certainly use a hammer if you dump Con with no penalties, but you won't be able to get the extra bonuses to certain riders in particular powers, or access to some tasty feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q467

Generally: how much of a distinction is there between close attacks and area attacks? Are they two separate categories or is one a subtype of the other? PHB pretty clearly suggests the former but I wonder if any errata might change that.

Specifically: does the feat Closing Advantage work with Sword Burst, which is a close burst 1?

Closing Advantage
    Heroic Tier
    Prerequisite: Swordmage
    Benefit: When you use a ranged or area swordmage attack power and hit an enemy, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls with melee swordmage attack powers until the end of your next turn.
    Thanks in advance.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

A467 They are distinct. Page 270 of the PHB enumerates the four types of attack, i.e. melee, ranged, close, and area. Close attacks are not area attacks, nor are area attacks close.

Specifically: does the feat Closing Advantage work with Sword Burst, which is a close burst 1?
    No.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Q468

I have seen a 4e mundane item called "camouflaged clothing" mentioned somewhere. Can somebody tell me where exactly I can find it?
    Last edited by Stain; 2014-06-18 at 08:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stain View Post
    Q468

I have seen a 4e mundane item called "camouflaged clothing" mentioned somewhere. Can somebody tell me where exactly I can find it?
    Dragon 373 p22

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Q 469

By RAW, is it possible for a Psionic Augmentation classed character to switch out their at-will attacks for theme encounter attack powers? Does any Dark Sun book address this?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Q 470:

If you choose an at-will power that you can use once per encounter (as with Acolyte of Divine Secrets feat), is it encounter, at-will or both?

If you choose an at-will and can use it as an encounter power (as with Corellon's Boon of Arcane Might alternative reward), is it encounter, at-will or both?

For both Q469 and Q470, even answers that aren't strictly RAW would be appreciated if they have some authority, e.g. Customer Service team.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Q470 I'd say that if you can use an at-will power 'once per encounter' it still is an at-will power.
    If you can use an at-will power 'as an encounter power' it is treated as an encounter power.
    For example, the warlock multiclass feat works with Sacrifice to Caphion.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Q470 I'd say that if you can use an at-will power 'once per encounter' it still is an at-will power.
    I would say the opposite: if you can use a power once per encounter, then it is by definition an encounter power; this is similar to how if you make a power deal fire damage, then it is by definition a fire power.

That said, I'm not aware of any rules or FAQs explicitly stating this either way.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #1240

Q471: The magic item Hungry Spear has the following power:

Power * Encounter (Standard Action)

Make a ranged basic attack with this spear. On a hit, the target is also immobilized (save ends). The spear doesn't return to you until the immobilized effect on the target imposed by this weapon is ended.
    This implies that there is a general rule under which it would otherwise return (by magic, presumably) to the wielder after being thrown at an enemy. However, I can't find this rule. Where/what is it, and what does it apply to? All ranged attacks, all thrown weapons, only magical spears...?

Thanks all.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

A471

If I'm not mistaken, it's in the PHB. All magic thrown items go back to your hand after they're thrown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

12. - Top - End - #1242

For both Q469 and Q470, even answers that aren't strictly RAW would be appreciated if they have some authority, e.g. Customer Service team.
    A469: I just tried it in the Character Builder with a 7th level Battlemind I had already made, and the option wasn't there, even with "Additional Options" ticked. I did get the theme option for the L5 daily though. Not sure if this constitutes sufficient authority for you. Was the question prompted by you finding the same thing?

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    A471

If I'm not mistaken, it's in the PHB. All magic thrown items go back to your hand after they're thrown.
    It is indeed in the PHB (and I believe even more clearly in Rule Compendium), but I suspect it is only for magical weapons, or possibly even only for magical weapons with "thrown" quality. You can't throw your magical boots and have them return (more's the pity)

Will check when I get home, if no-one beats me to it.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

A471 Indeed, all magical "light throw" or "heavy thrown" weapons return, and other items do not (PHB1 page 232) although if you're using a ki focus, then anything you can physically throw will count as a magic weapon.

...including wolves.

15. - Top - End - #1245

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It is indeed in the PHB (and I believe even more clearly in Rule Compendium), but I suspect it is only for magical weapons, or possibly even only for magical weapons with "thrown" quality. You can't throw your magical boots and have them return (more's the pity)

Will check when I get home, if no-one beats me to it.

Grey Wolf
    This is what comes of playing a Wizard for too long: no idea how weapons work. I did try the compendium though under obvious searches like "thrown weapons". What entry does it come under?

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    A471 Indeed, all magical "light throw" or "heavy thrown" weapons return, and other items do not (PHB1 page 232) although if you're using a ki focus, then anything you can physically throw will count as a magic weapon.
    I'm not sure; you get to use the ki focus enhancement bonus, but it never states that the weapon become a magic weapon, so I'm not sure that you would get the returning ability mentioned in the PHB. Cats have fur. having fur doesn't make something a cat. PHB pg. 232 explains that magic weapons add an enhancement bonus to the attack roll, but having an enhancement bonus to the attack roll (from a ki focus) doesn't make a weapon magical.

I would say that thrown weapons used with a ki focus do not return, as the ki focus does not turn them into magical weapons.

17. - Top - End - #1247

Q472

Am I allowed to prepare an action with the condition that my turn ends?

For example, say I'm weakened. I use my standard action to prepare and attack. My turn ends, I save, and I make the attack while not weakened.

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

A472 No. Readied actions can only trigger off another action, and by a strict reading it has to be an enemy action. PHB1 page 291.

(besides, if tricks like this were legal, then every single monster would also start using them, and suddenly most conditions become worthless)

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

But shouldn't you be able to just say: 'I ready an action to attack when [monster right after me in initiative] does something'?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    But shouldn't you be able to just say: 'I ready an action to attack when [monster right after me in initiative] does something'?
    "Does something" is too vague as a trigger, you need to specify what you expect the enemy to do. That said, yes this will work, assuming you know which enemy comes after you (which most DMs will tell you, but they're not required to do that) and there's the chance that it'll delay or otherwise not trigger your readied action.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

Also, the DM might rule that you don't roll your save until your readied action completes, just as it would happen if you delay, since readying, just like delaying, moves you out of the initiative order and places you back in when the action triggers. As per PHB 288:

Make Saving Throws after You Act: After you return to the initiative order and take your actions, you make saving throws against effects on you
    Grey Wolf

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 473

The Battlemind power Momentum Swing states:

Effect: You shift 2 squares to a square adjacent to any enemy other than the target.

My question is: what happens if there isn't an enemy within 2 squares? What if there aren't any other enemies at all? There doesn't seem to be any stipulation about having nearby enemies in the power description, and, as written, my DM decided that this meant that I would either have to move in the direction of a nearby enemy (in the case that there is an enemy who is not within 2 squares) or not move at all (in the case of no other enemies). Any thoughts?

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

A 473

If you can't shift (up to) 2 squares to be adjacent to another target, nothing happens.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1254

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    A 473

If you can't shift (up to) 2 squares to be adjacent to another target, nothing happens.

A473

You can, however, augment this power to either increase the distance of the shift to your speed, or get a free charge without provoking an OA.

25. - Top - End - #1255

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, the DM might rule that you don't roll your save until your readied action completes, just as it would happen if you delay, since readying, just like delaying, moves you out of the initiative order and places you back in when the action triggers. As per PHB 288:

Make Saving Throws after You Act: After you return to the initiative order and take your actions, you make saving throws against effects on you
    A472

Can't see any basis for this in RAW seeing as "Delay" and "Ready an Action" are separate entries which don't refer to each other. Of course, a DM might rule that, but IMO it would be either a house rule or a mistake.

26. - Top - End - #1256

Q474

Is the monk feat Slashing Kama Style mandatory?

It reads like it is, but so does forced movement so I thought it worth asking.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Troll in the Playground

A 474

No. You are not required to take it by any rule.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1258

ElfRangerGuy

Q475

What is burst? When something says burst 5, or each enemy in a burst, what does it mean?

Q476

Can you use a reach weapon to strike adjacent foes?
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    What is burst? When something says burst 5, or each enemy in a burst, what does it mean?
    It means it targets every square in X squares in every direction around the source point. The source may be the caster (close burst) or a distant point selected by the caster (ranged burst), but once the source point is chosen, the area of effect is every square around it. See PHB 272

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    Can you use a reach weapon to strike adjacent foes?
    Yes, just like you can shoot something not at the far end of the weapon range.

Grey Wolf

30. - Top - End - #1260

Q474C

Amusing (genuinely), but I meant is the effect it offers (replace one Flurry of Blows damage instance with equivalent Ongoing Damage) mandatory after you've already taken the feat, or can I choose to not use it (say in the instance that the target is already under its effect, or is known to have many save bonuses)?
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-07-09 at 10:56 PM.