New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Myth Drannor

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Myth Drannor

Myth Drannor

The wind-driven rain beats hard against the paved streets and drums loudly against the rooftops as you make your way through the nearly-empty streets of Caer Callidyrr, the towering height of the white granite tower to the west ever in your vision. The few city guardsmen out in this weather give you passing glances as they hurry to drier, warmer environs. As you draw closer to the tower, its height all the more obvious as you stand at its foot, you feel a strong sense of age about it; the ivy heavily covering its base, the few places where the rock has slightly crumbled, and the huge oak trees that are completely dwarfed in size by it.

As you arrive, you notice other shapes moving towards the tower -- clearly you were not the only one drawn by the notices in the city's streets and taverns.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Myth Drannor

Aerowyn skulks back into a nearby alley or rooftop and hides to watch those coming to the tower. In the meantime, Aerowyn studies the tower, looking for entrances and other details. Sahandrian hangs from his usual perch between Aerowyns' tunic and cloak, dry from the rain.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Shielding her eyes with her hand, her hair streams behind her despite being soaked by the rain, such is the force of the wind as Luisa struggles upwind towards the colossal tower.

Thinking back to the her in the libraries of Silverymoon as she walks, she tries to remember if she has ever read anything about this tower.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana (d20+12)[18]
    Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering (d20+3)[11]
    and Knowledge: Religon (d20+3)[7]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Farus Wellshire

As his heavily plated boots made the walk towards the tower, his eyes caught sight of the others that seemed to be traveling the same route as he. He stayed silent for now, his only mission to reach the tower and inquire about the ancient elven city.

He truly felt that he had been lead here, to these far off isles, if only to give him this opportunity to see the mystical place that his old mentor had often revered in tales. His armor and shield looked well taken care of, despite the rain that flattened his normally fair and perfect hair.

As he reached the base of the tower he turned, settling his hands across his wide belt as he looked back at the others that approached. He looked up and investigated the door for a moment, to see if there was any sort of knocking device, or anyone about to speak to about gaining entrance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as Farus approaches the base of the tower, the seemingly smooth, seamless surface starts glowing in the shape of a door wide enough for one person to fit through, the stone flowing away like curtains parting, revealing a winding set of staircases that apparently leads up into the tower proper.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

The city watchmen had tossed him odd looks as they passed by, likely unused to seeing someone of his height. But he didn't seem to be causing any trouble, and they weren't getting paid enough to stand around in the rain asking questions; a few seemed jealous that the giant appeared to be bone-dry, but they all hurried onward to their destinations without comment.

Urlom liked it that way. When the smallfolk spoke with him, it was usually with a touch of fright in their voice or, among the more well-traveled sort, questions about the weather and how it was up there. Surely they didn't think he experienced a different climate a mere three or four feet higher than themselves.

As he made his way through the waterlogged streets, drawing ever-closer to the ivory spire, his thoughts shift a moment, focusing on the landmark. He'd heard of the tower, read of it. What was it he'd found, in those dusty tomes and cramped taverns?

And there were others, of course: at least two, from what he saw. A bulky figure who stood before the tower, unafraid, and another, slender form that made its way uphill against the wind and rain. Urlom privately admitted that their business could have been of a nature different than his own. He also knew that it wasn't. Coincidences didn't work like that.

So the giant continues toward the tower, coming to a stop behind the armored man and waiting politely for the first to arrive to be the first to enter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore check on the tower.
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+8)[9]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+12)[23]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Finally arriving at the foot of the tower Luisa takes shelter from the rain behind a true giant of a man.

"Such delightful weather. I do hope you don't mind if I treat you as a harbor wall in this squall my good sir. Are we going in or for a swim?" the torrent of words rushes out in a surprisingly cheerful voice given their content.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Farus Wellshire

As the door swung open ahead of him, his eyes lit up a bit. To be out of the rain, and seemingly welcomed into the tower where he might find out more about the posting around the town.

He stepped inside to get himself out of the rain, pulling a handkerchief from his belt pouch and working it over his face and up over his hair. He took a long look at the furnishings about him, before turning and regarding the people who seemed to be gathering behind him.

"Well met. Let us get out of the rain and see if anyone is about...Might you two be here on account of the postings about the town?"

He made way for them to enter as well, before turning and looking again to see if there was anyone to greet them, or if he might just end up calling out a friendly greeting.

9. - Top - End - #9

Urlom ducks as he passes through the archway. After a moment spent examining the tower's interior, he starts toward the staircase, beginning the long walk up to the floors above.

"Yes," is all the effort he makes in answering the man's question.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Luisa follows the giant of a man inside the ensorcelled entrance of the white tower.

"I am indeed here due to the postings, in part at least, curiosity is a fairly strong trait of mine" Luisa tries to bring her hair back under control for a few moments before continuing "Mostly I am curious as to who built this charming tower and who lives here now, someone powerful no doubt, but who?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The group makes their way up the winding stairs for what feels like an hour, but is in fact probably more like a few minutes. As a landing finally emerges in front of them, they finally get a look of the tower proper. The current room is quite large and spacious, possibly taking up the entire circumference of the tower; its space is filled with shelves loaded with ancient books, several tables strewn with strange objects and tattered scrolls, and glass displays filled with yet more esoteric objects. From the ceiling hangs a strange contraption of metal and crystals that an unlearned person might simply call an exotic chandelier, but what worldly folk would recognize as raptoran liessit, an artistic item meant to produce spectacular arrays of light.

Taking all this in, the group then notices a figure -- garbed in heavy layered robes of black and crimson -- stepping down from a slightly raised platform at the far end of the room, leaning upon a staff as he approaches them and smiles congenially. One's first impression is that of any sun elf -- fine features, golden skin, white-blonde hair and blue eyes. But then one gets a good look at him and notices the fine lines around his eyes and mouth, and the copious amounts of gray in his blonde hair, and they realize that this elf must be very old, for elves almost always appear ageless.

"Good to see you finally came," he says with a bow. "I just finished brewing a pot of tea, if you'd all like to have a cup. It's a strong Calimshite brew."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Looking around at the room Luisa takes in the more than modest library, walking around a few of the shelves peering at the titles tells her that the library is not merely sizeable but of very quality.

Giving a curtsey to the undeniably ancient elf after the sound of his tapping staff alerts her to his presence, the age and dress suggests that the current occupier is quite possibly the 'builder' of the tower as well. Someone to be treated with a great deal of respect.

"I am most glad to be here, even if you discount the extra incentive the weather provides anyone to be out of it. I am Luisa, called Starsong and I should certainly welcome tea"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Farus Wellshire:Elan:

As they made their way up the stairs, Farus took a moment to look over the small band. They all seemed capable enough, and if this really did lead to some sort of expedition back to his homeland, and towards his current residence then he would be more than happy to travel with such a troupe.

As the Elven figure rose and spoke with such a kind manner he let out with a wide smile.

"Thank you for your hospitality kind sir. My name is Farus, Farus Wellshire. It appears the postings in the town have drawn quite a company to your fine abode."

14. - Top - End - #14

The giant casts an eye toward displays and shelves, his gaze lingering on the books for a few moments. The legendary collection! Surely something he could use lay within its stores; he'd have to request access once this was all through.

Urlom turns back to the ancient elf before them. His evident age was clue enough in itself for the giant to guess his identity, and he gives the much smaller, wizened figure a bow. The end result is that the two are about eye-level.

"Lord Talarasha. An honor.

If it is no imposition, I will take a small vessel of drink."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aerowyn appears from the staircase, backpack and loop of rope slung over one shoulder. He lowers his soaked hood, grinning slightly at any looks of surprise. "No thank you, Elder."

He takes a long time looking about the room, paying close attention to both the people and items within. He has never seen a raptoran or been anywhere near their lands, and his eyes linger on the liessit. "Is this your tower?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Filling a few delicate blue porcelain cups with tea, he sets them down on the one clear table in the room and gestures for the others to sit. Lowering himself into one seat with a sigh, he leans his staff against the table and looks around at them all in turn before speaking.

"It is indeed my home, and it has been for a very long time while I have done my work. I am one of a group tasked with safeguarding the items of this world deemed too powerful to fall into just anybody's hands; thus you see the collection around you. I should warn you not to attempt to take any of them. The results could be unpleasant.

And that's where I come to why I sent out my summons. I believe a new item has surfaced, one I long thought lost forever. It is either a ring or a bracelet -- its form changes over time, it is said. I will not tell you its powers, for that is forbidden by my order. However, I will warn you: as you no doubt know, Myth Drannor is no play area. It is full of dangerous creatures and latent magicks beyond count, and much caution should be had while traversing it. But, if you believe yourselves up to the task, I would send you there to retrieve this item for me. The compensation would be generous, for during my time I have amassed a moderate amount of 'safe' magical items that I myself have no use for."

His piece said, he falls silent and awaits a reply from one of the gathered individuals.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Farus Wellshire

Sitting down, he listened to the old elfs story. His eyes flitted around the room when he mentioned the collection, the items gathered here seeming old indeed. He was intent to hear the entire story, and when it was through he shrugged his shoulders easily, as if his mind was made up on the spot.

"I have long wished to see the grandeur of the ancient city, and if you say this item would be safer in your hands, then so be it. There is much to be learned from such a journey. Perhaps even secrets of the martial disciplines that I have sought for these past years. I am fully ready to make such a journey. In fact I was headed that way myself. I call Dagger Falls my home and it is but a stones throw from Myth Drannor itself.

His excitement it seemed was hard to contain as he turned his head towards the rest of the people gathered.

"what say you, then? Shall we make this trip together? Myth Drannor is certainly dangerous, and as a team we would have much better luck."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Many questions flit through Aerowyns' mind, (Why don't you or your fellows get it yourselves? What does this item look like? Where exactly is it?), but he pauses a moment after selecting one, thinking his question over. "What order do you speak of?"

He doesn't drink any tea, and he hopes Talarasha doesn't mind.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Olin Gisiae," is all Talarasha says. "And I'm sure you're wondering... 'if he's so powerful, why doesn't he go and get it himself?'. Well, most of my efforts are quite focused here, upon my task, so that I cannot. As for the rest of my order, its ranks have sadly been dwindling lately, and no one can be spared at the moment."

@Aerowyn
    Spoiler
    Show
    As elves, you are aware that the Olin Gisiae -- Elven for 'Secret Keepers' -- are an order of magi that are tasked with protecting the most dangerous and powerful artifacts from falling into the wrong hands. Part of keeping these items safe is keeping the existence and identity of the order a complete secret within Elven society. No non-elf must know the full details of the order.

20. - Top - End - #20

The giant stares at Farus as he speaks so eagerly. Did the man really speak like that? Was he really so exuberant in the face of dangers that had toppled one of the strongest bastions of civilization in history? Urlom supposed the man chattered away out of earnest intentions; humans were notoriously short-lived, after all. The giant's own kind may not have fared much better, but his own lifespan was certainly above the norm, and he'd adopted an outlook to match.

"Is there a name for this relic?" he inquires, rumbling to life like some long-dormant volcano. "Or is that also a secret to be withheld?"
    Last edited by Reikenbach; 2012-05-02 at 11:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Farus Wellshire

As he sat back and listened to what the gathered group had to say to their host, he thought about what they must be thinking. Myth Drannor was no easy egg to crack, and his excitement stemmed from the city being such an enigma in his homeland. His mentor had spoken of it so often, with such reverence, that he had always sought for a quest to bring him into its mighty halls.

He realized though that the people gathered for this quest were actually trying to gather the correct information, which hadn't been far from his own mind. He simply had wanted to make his intention of joining this quest to be cemented in their hosts mind. He listened intently as their questions were answered, making note of any details and committing them to memory.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Facing Farus, Luisa speaks briefly

"I should be happy enough to visit, to see another Mythal, well that is no small thing."

"I confess though, that I too find myself curious to know what this artifact is called, if indeed it has a name."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The ancient elven mage nods his head and rises, heading over to one of the packed bookcases. He pulls out a yellowed, tattered scroll and spreads it out on the table. On it are two images -- a bracelet and a ring, wrought of a strange white-silver metal and depicted to be surrounded by an otherworldly luminescence. Under them is an inscription in Elven.

"Daedrim it is called," Talarasha says. So, what are your thoughts? Would any of you be interested in undertaking this task on my behalf? Gratitude, thanks, and rewards would not be wanting."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aerowyn calmly studies the scroll while listening to the others speak. ("Daedrim?")

When Talarasha asks if they will go, ("There are many things I would do in order to see Myth Drannor and live to remember it.") He looks up from the scroll, "I am interested, Elder, though I have many questions."

He pauses for a moment, to give others a chance to speak and to gather his thoughts, "Doing anything in Myth Drannor will be difficult. Do you have an idea where we will find the Daedrim? Can you aid us in any way, other than placing us there? Do you own any maps that we could use? Can you name any of the dangers we might face, that we might prepare against them in particular? Is anyone else after the Daedrim?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Instead of just gushing that out, I intended each question to be asked after the last was answered, if he got to ask them at all.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"The circle I shall create to send you there will be two-way. If you ever feel overwhelmed, just head back to it and you will be brought back here to regroup. I do also have some supplies I could send with you. As for Daedrim's location, I am afraid I cannot say for certain. After extensive study, I am lead to believe that it is somewhere in Myth Drannor. While you explore, look for texts that you think may prove useful, I shall study them and attempt to glean more clues."

While he talks, Talarasha moves about the room, gathering things. He sets a few small boxes on a table, as well as a map, and then heads back up onto the raised platform he was on when the group first entered, a large pouch in his hand. He walks in a circle on the platform, murmuring strange words as he does so, occasionally pausing to make a gesture with his free hand. This goes on for several minutes -- any attempts to talk to him before it is finished go unanswered. When he finishes, the powder circle on the floor glows orange, and then dims and ultimately vanishes, leaving the platform looking quite mundane.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Farus Wellshire

Sitting forward he regarded Luisa, nodding in accord.

"Let us hope our journey a safe and interesting one."

he had certainly made up his mind to be sent on this quest. He had oft heard tales of the place from his elven mentor. As a young man he had always made his intentions known to entering the place and trying to unravel it's secrets.

He had come on a long journey to these isles, and for things to work out in this way seemed divine providence to the pious man. He watched carefully as Talarasha begins his casting, and when the incantation ends he smiles slightly.

"Anyone want out now is the time to speak up I suppose."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Luisa examines the map with considerable interest

"That is quite a few dead-magic zones, I can certainly see why you don't want to go there to search for it yourself"

"what supplies are you sending with us in these boxes?"

28. - Top - End - #28

The giant watches Talarasha go about his ritual, noting the soft flash of amber light that signifies its completion.

If we are to return freely through this circle of transposition, what identifies us as the only ones with access? Have you some tokens keyed to the gate, or is the portal itself calibrated to only the four of us? Know you the specific location where the exit will deposit us, or is it merely a general area?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Talarasha motions Luisa to check the supplies herself. Upon opening one of the boxes, she finds a foot-long stick with a clear stone set in its end, two small bottles full of a bluish liquid, and two jet-black disks approximately 8 inches across. A survey of the three other boxes find the same contents in each.

As the ancient elf descends from the platform, he walks over to look over the map, pointing at the "X" marked in red ink upon it.

"I deemed this the safest location to send you that is close to the city but not quite inside it. I will send this map with you, and, yes, if you venture into the dead magic zones, for none of your enchanted gear or spells will function. This can prove advantageous if properly utilized, however, as nobody else's magicks will work there either."

Pausing to listen to Urlom, he nods and replies.

"This teleportation circle spell is a particular creation of mine, with a circle against evil built right into it. That is the most I can do, so be wary of any that may follow you back as they may not be blocked from also utilizing the circle. Are there any more questions before you depart?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The contents of each box:
    -1 Everglowing Sunrod (normal sunrod, but can be activated and de-activated as a move action, and will never 'burn out'. Like a high-class everburning torch)
    -2 Potions of Aid (CL 5)
    -2 blast disks (MIC pg. 152)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aerowyn listens carefully to everything being said while equipping his new gear. He walks over to the circle and lays his backpack and rope down next to it. When Talarasha is done speaking, he strings his bow and draws a silver tipped arrow to it. Looking to his new allies, "I will go through first to scout the initial area. If I do not return within five minutes, something has happened to me."

Before stepping through, he asks Talarasha "Is there anyone in the city who might be friendly towards us? Are there others after the Daedrim?"

Upon hearing the answer, he nods and moves through.