New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXIII

Alright, I'm going to have to drop out of competing this round. I'll know by Thursday if I can judge, though, and if I can, I'll be posting some criteria for y'all then.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay I sended A build, but the fluff might get revised before the dead line.

I am really busy with real life stuff so that's what I could do. I am not really satisfied with the build but I do like the concept a lot.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Seems like there are very few builds so far. I might slap one together after all. I already have the basic build in my head anyway, I just scrapped it because I thought it would be way too obvious and unoriginal. But with so little competition, I might as well give it a try.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, I think I'm going to drop out. My build idea comes online at before the 10s, and then nothing else happens up to 20

Oh well, next time.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Challenge in the Playground XXXIII

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    seriously, 3/10ths casting is making me weep. I thought that master of masks had the lowest nonzero casting progression, but I now know I am wrong.
    I think it helps to think of it as not so much a gish or casting class, but a mundane, full BAB class with a little casting progression tacked on as an afterthought. (Although the fact you need at least some casting to qualify doesn't help with that).

6. - Top - End - #96

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I think it helps to think of it as not so much a gish or casting class, but a mundane, full BAB class with a little casting progression tacked on as an afterthought. (Although the fact you need at least some casting to qualify doesn't help with that).
    That and being FR specific in a book set in a time when Lolth (The drow goddess) is silent (doesn't confer spells) doesn't help, at all.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-05-23 at 05:02 AM.
    Currently playing:

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryr View Post
    That and being FR specific in a book set in a time when Lolth (The drow goddess) is silent (doesn't confer spells) doesn't help, at all.
    I really dn't see the relevance here - the Drow Judicator is a servitor of Selvetarm, not Lolth.

8. - Top - End - #98

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I really dn't see the relevance here - the Drow Judicator is a servitor of Selvetarm, not Lolth.
    Just my personal reading of the drow fluff. I don't see any God but Lolth in the Drow pantheon, others are no more than saints.

And even if the drow judicator entry talks about making an "unholy pledge to Selvetram" it doesn't imply that the Drow Judicator has to have Selvetram as a patron deity nor actually serve it (drow judicators serve high ranking clerics of Lolth). Though it is true that the special requirement talks about clerics of Selvetram (or Lolth) administering a rite, but I still don't like the idea of any drow not revering Lolth.

Even if Selvetram is a valid God, taking Lolth out, leaves with really few options for a God (that provides magic) and is not against Lolth in the drow pantheon.
    Currently playing:

9. - Top - End - #99

but I still don't like the idea of any drow not revering Lolth.
    There are whole groups and cities of drow that don't worship Lolth. There's a whole pantheon of other gods the drow worship; what are they doing all day, just hanging out, being bummed about how nobody worships them?
    I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

10. - Top - End - #100

ElfRangerGuy

As I said it was just a fluff problem.

Most of the other gods in the drow pantheon (in faerun) get killed or deflect the pantheon sooner than later.

Kiaransalee stopped existing due to a lack of worshipers.

Ghaunadaur left the pantheon (and was mostly revered by aberrations).

Selvetarm and Vhaeraun get killed by Eilistraee.

Eilistraee gets killed by the Lady penitent.

Of course by the time that happens Lolth has returned.
    Currently playing:

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

And the drow dudes have absolutely no reason to worship Lolth. She's the one keeping them down! That is half the population who are looking for another deity right there.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    And the drow dudes have absolutely no reason to worship Lolth. She's the one keeping them down! That is half the population who are looking for another deity right there.
    They're all CG rebels looking to throw off the yoke of their CE oppressors anyway.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

Most of the other gods in the drow pantheon (in faerun) get killed or deflect the pantheon sooner than later.

To be fair, much of that occured after the Underdark book was written.
    I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

So, right now I have two options. One is to use what I think is a pretty cool build, that fits really well thematically, but that honestly could probably do a lot better without the secret ingredient.

The other uses the SI's abilities, but involves shoe-horning a bunch of other features in just to make it work, and has a sort of questionable rules interpretation thrown on top for extra fun.

They also share some build elements, so even if I had the time to prepare two builds, I'd still get slammed in Originality.

So which do I go with? Do I get hammered in UotSI, or in Elegance? Will I get inspired by something else? Or will I just get frustrated and not end up submitting either build? No one knows!

Oh, the trials and tribulations of the Iron Chef....
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

see, I tried that, and I would normally be inclined to agree if it didn't require casting to get in in the first place. if i was just that, a caster dip would be whatever. however, the BA prereq throws a wrench into that

the casting thing caused my first idea to actually not work (the SI gives so little casting, I forgot about the casting req so forgot to give casting lvls) so it's back to the drawing board
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

16. - Top - End - #106

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Z3ro View Post
    That is completely true, I intended to say that I didn't feel right having a drow with a patron deity other than Lolth and I didn't feel right having a spellcaster in faerun with a deity that doesn't confer spells (that is actually going on on Underdark) so it was an important problem to me. The problem was just in my head, there are ways around it, it just didn't feel right.

In a completely unrelated point, good luck Piggy, I hope that you get your ideas straight. Maybe you can present the one that you feel less comfortable with after the reveal, or its main points.
    Currently playing:

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, you're referring to the War of the Spider Queen/Lady Pentinent series(es?).

Those were actually to help ease the transition to 4E FR - where Lolth is the only goddess off the Drow.

It's written down somewhere (Grand History of the Realms, perhaps) that it fits in shortly before the Spellplague. It's like Richard Lee Byer's (I think that's who wrote it) series about the continuing adventures of Aliiza, where Mystra and all them die.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you're playing 3.5e FR, all the gods are still in effect.

18. - Top - End - #108

ElfRangerGuy

Fair enough even if at the time the underdark was written Lolth is absent.

It seems that this round is going to be a good round to practice judging.
    Currently playing:

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really not coming up with anything that I like this round. Every idea tastes so... plain.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExtravagantEvil View Post
    Okay I've been messing around with my ideas for a couple of days and I feel I must drop this one . A lot of stuff is going on and I feel consistently exhausted .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Alright, I'm going to have to drop out of competing this round. I'll know by Thursday if I can judge, though, and if I can, I'll be posting some criteria for y'all then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ladybug View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm going to drop out. My build idea comes online at before the 10s, and then nothing else happens up to 20

Oh well, next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulAngus View Post
    My only idea had no real use of this classes class features other than BAB, and that graph is a killer to fill out, maybe i'll start next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    I'm really not coming up with anything that I like this round. Every idea tastes so... plain.
    I dunno...I'm seeing a repetition of an earlier IC competition that had a lot of prospective judges but not many competitors. Even the real Iron Chef show had easy secret ingredients from time to time, to allow optimizers' minds to relax instead of trying to wring all that's possible into a build that might just seem a wee too overworked.

Fortunately there are three days remaining, so there might be some builds, but can the next IC be a tad easier rather than, say, cringing such as the Initiate? Or, heck, one that's so easy to build upon that we can break the submission mark! You know, one so that everybody can have its go at optimizing.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    I dunno...I'm seeing a repetition of an earlier IC competition that had a lot of prospective judges but not many competitors. Even the real Iron Chef show had easy secret ingredients from time to time, to allow optimizers' minds to relax instead of trying to wring all that's possible into a build that might just seem a wee too overworked.

Fortunately there are three days remaining, so there might be some builds, but can the next IC be a tad easier rather than, say, cringing such as the Initiate? Or, heck, one that's so easy to build upon that we can break the submission mark! You know, one so that everybody can have its go at optimizing.
    So, let's see. The last two contests had 11, and 17 entries (and a few dropping who expected to enter), and folks complained that the judges were going to be over-worked. Now, with this ingredient - and before we see how many entries ultimately compete - folks are complaining that this ingredient is too difficult or too far from mainstream. One wonders how an ingredient can possibly be chosen that will avoid such complaints.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

ElfRangerGuy

Don't worry Chairman, I like the ingredient.

It's a bit difficult to crack but it is a good ingredient. I am sure we will get some flavorful stuff, it's just that people are worrying because they haven't been able to pull anything yet, but there is still time to the deadline.
    Currently playing:

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    So, let's see. The last two contests had 11, and 17 entries (and a few dropping who expected to enter), and folks complained that the judges were going to be over-worked. Now, with this ingredient - and before we see how many entries ultimately compete - folks are complaining that this ingredient is too difficult or too far from mainstream. One wonders how an ingredient can possibly be chosen that will avoid such complaints.
    Oh, this is an excellent ingredient.

I just really ran out of time. That and the fact that my build offered nothing after 12th level.

I really liked the fluff, though. I might try and do a rush job.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

This seems like an ideal Iron Chef ingredient, I had four ideas to start and have put in some work on 2, one should be in by the deadline and the other is dependent on work schedule.

I was even considering that with multiple points of entry/ideas this one would be so full of entry's that I would just judge, but less entry's means bigger chance for me to win so looks like I better polish up an entry (or 2)!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You don't see the gnomes running around fighting wars with each other, do you? No, because they're civilized.

25. - Top - End - #115

I agree; its a great Ingredient, and if I was able to submit a build at level 10-15, I'd be laughing.

Oh well, I have got the day off today...maybe I'll do some more work on my concept...

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Halfling in the Playground

look at me waiting for the next IC challenge and turns out i completely didn't see the thread until today.

guess i wont be participating this time...

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narsis View Post
    look at me waiting for the next IC challenge and turns out i completely didn't see the thread until today.

guess i wont be participating this time...
    Amph's really good about posting links to the next competition in the thread - just subscribe and you shouldn't miss it.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Z3ro View Post
    Hell, I didn't know any of that had happened. And why was Ghaunadaur even in the drow pantheon, anyways?

Hell, why does he even exist? Jubilex is way cooler
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    All I can humbly request is no PrCs with racial entry reqs for a while, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Hell, why does he even exist? Jubilex is way cooler
    Good to know I'm not the only one who spells it that way... apparently, the "proper" spelling is Juiblex.

30. - Top - End - #120

ElfRangerGuy

All I can humbly request is no PrCs with racial entry reqs for a while, please.

Good to know I'm not the only one who spells it that way... apparently, the "proper" spelling is Juiblex.
    First, Beholder Mage for SI!

Second, really? Juiblex? That doesn't sound right at all.
    Currently playing: