New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Btw: Anyone know how the T34 (the American Heavy Premium) is? Is it basically just a bigger, slower, harder hitting T29? I'm considering taking the plunge and getting one, as I need credits and it seems like a good way to get them; but it's a pretty sizable real cash investment >.< So I'm hesitant.
    I'd suggest trying it out on test server for yourself, that way you can experience the play style and get the feel for the tank. I've tried most tier 8 premiums this way, and I can tell that it's easy to make profit with all of them.

If T34 feels too expensive, Panther M10 and SU-122-44 will be cheaper. Still, I'd try them in test first.
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2012-10-25 at 10:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    THat was probably a bad example. My point was that none of the tier V guns I have can reliably penetrate a KV-1, even though I can damage tier VI vehicles easily. I've seen KV-1s repeatedly bounce premium shells that have a minimum pen well above the KV's armor.
    Might be a bit of an old point, but it bears returning to.

The appearance of serious heavies marks the shift between just shooting at enemies and shooting at the right part of enemies. Face to face aim for the machinegun in the hull or the driver's viewport (roughly centre front).

Ideally though you should be flanking heavies, at which point the rear half of most of the soviet heavies has weaker side armour than the front half (and on the KV-1 particularly there's a window of thinner armour around where the rear upper guide wheel is. Helpfully, penetrating there will also frequently do engine damage and set the tank on fire.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Gloating,

the problem is finding this information, except through repeatedly dying. I know there are skins out there that are horrible, but I don't know of any wiki-type database out there that would let us review and learn those weakspots...
    ...that said, thanks for the tip, I could use that.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

4. - Top - End - #724

On most tanks, especially American ones but true all around, the big thing is don't shoot the turret, it will not work. Note that autoaim aims for the center of the turret. The big exception from the front is the Porsche Tiger, which has beastly hull armor and a paper turret. On most tanks the lower glacis plate is a good general area to aim for, particularly on the higher tier German heavies. A Maus or E-100 is easily penetrable by anything that should be in the same battle with them if you aim for it.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-10-25 at 04:18 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #725

Flumph

http://wotguru.com/

Not complete, but does have most of the problem child vehicles.

Knowing this is how I occasionally claimed Tier X heavy scalps in my AMX-12t (usually IS-7s, the weak spot above the tracks is huge and inviting, but I've stuck damage on a Maus with my 75mm pea shooter by aiming at the pimple on the back of the turret)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Might be a bit of an old point, but it bears returning to.

The appearance of serious heavies marks the shift between just shooting at enemies and shooting at the right part of enemies. Face to face aim for the machinegun in the hull or the driver's viewport (roughly centre front).

Ideally though you should be flanking heavies, at which point the rear half of most of the soviet heavies has weaker side armour than the front half (and on the KV-1 particularly there's a window of thinner armour around where the rear upper guide wheel is. Helpfully, penetrating there will also frequently do engine damage and set the tank on fire.
    When ever possible, I aim for the top of the engine deck, or the front drive wheel (which seems to be an extremely good spot to hit the -1s for some reason.) Any other tank in the tier range, from Churchills to Tigers, I can at least hurt with my tier Vs. KV-1 just seems to be invulnerable.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    I'd suggest trying it out on test server for yourself, that way you can experience the play style and get the feel for the tank. I've tried most tier 8 premiums this way, and I can tell that it's easy to make profit with all of them.

If T34 feels too expensive, Panther M10 and SU-122-44 will be cheaper. Still, I'd try them in test first.
    I was unaware you could try premiums on the Test Server <o.O> I'm going to have to give that a whirl.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

8. - Top - End - #728

I was unaware you could try premiums on the Test Server <o.O> I'm going to have to give that a whirl.
    Current test server gives you 20k gold to play with (its the first test since beta i have done so they all may do that)
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

9. - Top - End - #729

If you're grinding crew on the North American server, get your doubles in this weekend; there's a crew experience bonus as part of the special.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

10. - Top - End - #730

OldWizardGuy

It seems tanks are tougher then Yordles.

I'm referring to WoT winning the Golden Joystick. Bribes and propaganda works, and I'm not complaining.

Edit: special starts 2nd of November, so I'll have time to dump SU-100M1 to make room for some high tier tanks. No way I can elite my Tiger 2, but at least I'll have slot open for VK45P.
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2012-10-26 at 11:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #731

They Won the Joystick
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like I need to start saving up to get my Obj 212.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I'm going to miss getting the IS by about 3k exp since the deal will end sometime today.
    And how long does these Golden Joystick special last? Unless it lasts a while or I do some heavy grinding (which I don't really have time to do) I'm not going to be able to pick up even a single T8.

14. - Top - End - #734

RogueGuy

Welp, looks like I might be expanding my garage finally. Not to mention adding an E-50 and possibly an American medium to the fold.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

15. - Top - End - #735

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    And how long does these Golden Joystick special last? Unless it lasts a while or I do some heavy grinding (which I don't really have time to do) I'm not going to be able to pick up even a single T8.
    They'll put normal few day special from second to fifth day. And it's tier 7 artillery and tier 9 tanks and tank destroyers which are discounted.

Also, SEA is the odd server of wot other servers are having tank prices dropped to their previous tier equivalent, while SEA has straight 30% discount.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

I just had the saddest, most ridiculous thing happen to me earlier. I can't believe it honestly.

I lost a fight with a KV-1 and an M10... while I was driving a T20 fully upgraded.

Now I grant you - I was at half health when the fight started; but how in crap's name does a KV-1 bounce a 160 penetration gun *3 times*?! I'm kinda dumbfounded. I will grant I did have some spectacular bad luck there too - I had my tracks shot off twice in rapid succession so I couldn't move, and the M10 just kept peppering me from out of visual range while the KV-1 kept me tracked and busy.

Just... ouch, my pride.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

17. - Top - End - #737
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

KV-1 sometimes sport the ARMOR of DOOM. I don't understand...but then I've bounced 88L71 shells off the side turret armor of a T-50-2 before so what do I know.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

18. - Top - End - #738
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    KV-1 sometimes sport the ARMOR of DOOM. I don't understand...but then I've bounced 88L71 shells off the side turret armor of a T-50-2 before so what do I know.
    I feel your pain. I've bounced BL-10 shots off of them, don't think I've managed it with the M64 yet though.

19. - Top - End - #739

I've had fully upgraded E-75 and M103 tier nines bounce off of my ELC AMXs piddly 12 armor before. Occasionally the armor penetration code gets a wild hair up its bum.

In other news, now that I've figured out that I shouldn't play the KV-4 as a front-line brawler, things are working out better than expected. It's hard to hit my numerous weakpoints from 250+ meters. What's that, Mr. Tier IX, you feel like giving me steel wall? Why, thank you!
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    I've had fully upgraded E-75 and M103 tier nines bounce off of my ELC AMXs piddly 12 armor before. Occasionally the armor penetration code gets a wild hair up its bum.

In other news, now that I've figured out that I shouldn't play the KV-4 as a front-line brawler, things are working out better than expected. It's hard to hit my numerous weakpoints from 250+ meters. What's that, Mr. Tier IX, you feel like giving me steel wall? Why, thank you!
    A series of lucky hits always seem to damage the gun though. I have no idea why the KV-4 gun is so fragile. Something to do with the really long barrel I bet.

EDIT: Speaking of Steel Wall, I got Steel Wall on my T-43.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-10-30 at 04:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #741

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    I've had fully upgraded E-75 and M103 tier nines bounce off of my ELC AMXs piddly 12 armor before.
    To be fair, for all the frustration that moments like this cause, we rarely notice when we're on the serendipitous receiving end of these inexplicable glitches. A few days back my PzIV bounced a shot from a Su-152 off it's rear armour, to many calls of hacks and rage.
    Awesome avatar by Shades Of Gray!

I really need to find some new quotes to put here.

22. - Top - End - #742

Yup, the random when it goes for us is so much difficult to remember...

Lowe...steel wall and facehugging a T95 to death...

He started at 100% life, my poor Lowe had 480 hit points left...

3 minutes later burning T95 and many, many, many catcalls to him from his team mates claiming he was incompetent...

Rammer, full 100% crew and it took me 3 minutes of carefull aimed shots to kill it from the front...

23. - Top - End - #743

OldWizardGuy

Ok, so who was the developer that had the bright idea of making 40mm autocannons with ~200 damage burst readily available for low tiers? And 70 alpha damage weapons?

So yeah, I've been playing British tanks.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat.GW View Post
    Yup, the random when it goes for us is so much difficult to remember...

Lowe...steel wall and facehugging a T95 to death...

He started at 100% life, my poor Lowe had 480 hit points left...

3 minutes later burning T95 and many, many, many catcalls to him from his team mates claiming he was incompetent...

Rammer, full 100% crew and it took me 3 minutes of carefull aimed shots to kill it from the front...
    That's impressive as heck though, T95s are nasty unless you can block em from the backside. (That's my favorite tactic against non-turreted TDs. Drive up behind them, parallel park on their backside and then start shooting while they try in vain to back up or turn.)

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

That's impressive as heck though, T95s are nasty unless you can block em from the backside. (That's my favorite tactic against non-turreted TDs. Drive up behind them, parallel park on their backside and then start shooting while they try in vain to back up or turn.)
    Agreed.

Still waiting for my download to finish. Churchills, here I come!

26. - Top - End - #746

4 Battles in my Cromwell and already have 2 Kamikazes (1375 & Panther)
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's

take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

27. - Top - End - #747

I'll have to break my USA only rule to fulfill my quest to have ALL the Shermans now. Oh well.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

Been playing the Brits a fair bit today... so far it's been a lot of fun, but I'm honestly dreading getting the Covenanter, because everything about it screams "Pz38na" at me; and I really, really don't want to run through that kind of grind again.

That said, I'll do it if I have to, because I love the way the medium line looks overall for the Brits < . .>

29. - Top - End - #749

OldWizardGuy

Been playing the Brits a fair bit today... so far it's been a lot of fun, but I'm honestly dreading getting the Covenanter, because everything about it screams "Pz38na" at me; and I really, really don't want to run through that kind of grind again.
    Covenanter is fairly better, it has normal medium tank match making, which counts for a lot. The stock weapon for Covenanter is also better then what Na gets, I'm running mine with 10 premium shells for tier 5 heavies. I soloed Crusader on Covenanter yesterday, so I'm half a tier ahead on my goal to get tech mastery for British. Planning on getting Crusader and Churchill this weekend.

I just bought T30, VK45P, AMX 50 120, GW Tiger and Object 212. I don't usually run this many high tier tanks on same time, but can't resist the bargain.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Normal matchmaking is good... that'll make life much, much easier. I was just getting worried when I saw the high tier radio and mediocre weapon I guess. (I think I'm one of the few people who isn't enamoured of the autocannons - I like the idea of them, but in practice aiming them at anything beyond point blank is tough.)