New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

"Well, I can't say I'm partial to being made to squeal," Ilya remarks to the air. "That said - and I can't speak for all of us - I do like playing. And dancing the night away, though I have doubts about my fellows' enthusiasm for such a course. You don't dance, do you Zinovia? It seems unimaginable."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zinovia glowers at Ilya, and virtually everything else as well. "No," she replies, her voice deadly. "I do not dance." The pitch and volume grow. "And nor do I appreciate being trifled with by whatever you are. Show yourselves at once."
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas nervously clutches his sword, scanning his surroundings, hoping to see any sign of the creature(s) interacting with the group. Though relieved that he is awake this time, Tireas still has a strong dislike for any unexpected surprises.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

"Show yourselves!" Viktor barks. "By Abadar, if you are no menace to this land then we shall not harm you. But your threats do you no credit," he says, gripping the hilt of his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil!
    LGBTitP

5. - Top - End - #515
    Orc in the Playground

The voice giggles again. "Only one of you is any good at rhyming." A rustling shakes the tangled bushes, and the lights twinkle. The head and body of a tiny woman emerge, her skin tanned and latticed with berry-juice ink tattoos. She has grass-green hair with thin, gently waving antenae that mark her - beyond her size - as inhuman. Then the rest of her emerges. The lower half of her body is that of a vibrant cricket or grasshopper: a long thorax with four short brown legs and a pair of much longer hind legs.

"You aren't bandit biggenses," she says with a smile that shows rather disconcertingly pointed canines. She giggles. "Did you like our trick with the canaries? I thought it was clever. Oh but that was Perlivash's idea. I was supposed to trick you today."

As if called by mention of his name, a tiny dragon, its scales a shimmering opalescent purple, comes fluttering down from the flower-laced nest. It has a pair of blue and pink butterfly wings, and its eyes twinkle like stars.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't like being surprised," Tireas grumbles, not keeping his eyes off the fey creature. Normally its diminuitive stature would have put the tiefling more at ease, but if adventuring with Zinovia taught him anything, it's that one's potential for destruction is independent of physical strength.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

7. - Top - End - #517
    Orc in the Playground

Not. Gnomes. At. All.

Gobsmacked would be an excellent word for the reaction of Estanos to the reveal of whom they were just speaking to. He is now operating entirely outside of his knowledge base, and is grappling with being wrong from square one at the situation.

The shock drains away as Estanos remembers his manners. He smiles, and executes a bow to the two... things. " Ah, very clever. Completely unexpected. Took us entirely by surprise." Looking at his fellows, Estanos tries to communicate with his expression that he has no idea what is going on before he says to the... things," Though, if one could make a suggestion... perhaps next time, you might try altering the colors of the birds before they pop, or some similar, more subtle change? Have them bark like dogs? Add a dose of confusion and strangeness to the startlement."

He clears his throat. " So. One assumes that this would be Mister Perlivash ... good day to you, sir," this with a nod to the micro-dragon. " And you would be Miss..?"
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinwë United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor slowly lowers his guard as the tiny woman and her companion reveal themselves. I doubt that they are a threat, even if they wanted to be. Finally removing his hand from his blade he inclines his head slightly in greeting.

"No, we are not bandits," Viktor says sharply at the mention of 'bandit biggenses.' "We are chartered by the Crown of Brevoy to remove threats to this land, bandits included. We've all ready dealt with many of them," he growls. "I take it you've had trouble with them?"
    LGBTitP

9. - Top - End - #519
    Orc in the Playground

At Estanos' greeting, the diminutive dragon gives a trilling cry, flapping its wings.

Zinovia, Ilya
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature is a faerie dragon.

"Ooh, yes" the strange little cricket-woman replies to Estanos, clapping her hands excitedly at his suggestion. "I hadn't even considered how confused someone might be if they were birds that didn't seem like birds and then they exploded!"

At Viktor's more pointed question about bandits, the little woman shakes her antenaed head. "No, silly, we have fun with the bandits. They might not have fun with us, but who cares about what mean bigginses think?" She looks thoughtful. "But we have seen some other bigginses a few days ago. They didn't look like bandits or you. They had a sort of funny symbol on their clothes. A little like Perlivash's face, but all red and yellow and weird looking." She giggles, then grows serious. "They didn't like it when we played tricks on them."

"Oh, and how rude of me," the little fey woman declares. "I'm Tig-Titter-Tut!"

Viktor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither of the two detect as evil.
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-10-02 at 10:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520

"Well," Zinovia says quietly, "then by all means continue to have fun with the miserable people. Though you might consider tricks with a more enduring effect on the bandits than that which you have performed on ourselves."

The pale wizardess takes a slow look around the forest. "That nest is your... home?" she asks, stiffling a hacking cough with one of her voluminous sleeves.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

"That means the bandits might be on edge," Tireas comments. "It's easier to sneak up on them when they aren't expecting anything. Then again, if they see all the corpses at the camp we slaughtered, they should already be frightened out of their minds." He thinks for a moment, then looks at Tig-Titter-Tut

"And if we believe you, which I'm not so sure we should, then there are more humans around. Or maybe elves. Or something."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

"Like Perlivash's head?" Viktor repeats for a moment, before realizing. A dragon head - the symbol of Brevoy. He glances at Ilya, hoping that his prince's face will show some sign of concern.

"Which way did the bandits travel from here?" Viktor demands of Tyg-Titter-Tut, a little more forcefully than he intends, but the paladin is on edge. "And the other travellers as well, where were they headed?" Follow the former, avoid the latter.
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #523

"We're here to, how did you put it, 'have fun' with the bandits too," Ilya says, smirking at the diminutive fey. "On that topic, have you heard anything about a so-called Stag Lord? From what we've gathered, he seems to be a rather frightful individual who has domesticated the various bandit factions in these parts. Does that ring a bell?"

It sounds like my father's agents are about in the wilds searching for me, Ilya thinks. He supposed that Viktor had been right back at Oleg's Post; he really should be more careful. Maybe I'll work out a disguise tomorrow, he thinks. Yes, maybe ask Tireas about the subject discretely - he did seem like the shady type who might know about such things.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

14. - Top - End - #524
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos bides silent as the others direct questions at the tiny creatures, looking over his shoulder at Marrin and raising his eyebrows as if to say ' don't see this every day, do you? '.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

The reformed bandit, Merrin, has been standing, mouth agape, staring at the strange little creatures and the glittering lights all around him.

Tig-Titter-Tut lets out a laugh that is almost a girlish cackle when Tireas suggests she isn't to be trusted. "Why wouldn't you believe me, Horns? You wouldn't be here to have fun with bandit bigginses if you didn't believe they were here at all! That would be silly!"

To Zinovia, the faerie dragon, Perlivash, trills out a series of high-pitched noises.

Draconic
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The nest is our home and sanctuary."

In the meantime, Tig-Titter-Tut sets about answering the other questions. She lets out a little shiver when Ilya mentions the Stag Lord. "I saw him once," she says, a hush falling over her voice. "He has a silver stag head and a great big bow. He had a great big bow, and he was shooting bigginses with it. He was... evil."

The cricket-lady brightens up quickly as she begins to give the directions Viktor requests. "Oh they both went south, of course. The bandits go everywhere. But they always go south eventually. Sometimes they're carrying extra things and then Perlivash and I try and snag a few. But the bigginses with red-and-yellow-Perlivashes? They just went south two days ago. They kept looking around at the trees and the ground like they were weird hunters or something."

16. - Top - End - #526
    Orc in the Playground

" Well. Thank you, both of you, for all of your help. And in case you should need us..." Estanos describes the location of Oleg's post. " Just leave a note there for us if you need our help with anything; do be polite to the family that lives there. They aren't just goodpeople, they're some of the bestpeople. No exploding squeeking chickens."

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't believe most "people" because skeptics live longer. My fa- er, friend always said that," is Tireas' response. "We might as well check, though, after making sure the kobolds aren't a problem." he directs to the group.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

18. - Top - End - #528

"It seems as though all paths lead to the south, whether it is to confront this mysterious band of which we've heard so much and yet so little, or to find the Stag Lord." The wizardess begins to long walk back to her horse, wheezing as she leans heavily on her black staff. She does a half turn back towards the group, her shrouded lips curling into a slight smile. "I see no reason to stay here, when the challenge is elsewhere."

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

"I agree with Tireas," Viktor intones. "The kobolds need to be dealt with - one way or another - before we pursue the Stag Lord or venture too far south. It would be unwise to leave potential enemies unaccounted for," he says. "After that, then we shall seek out and destroy the bandit king and his minions."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mikmak told us that the kobold lair is at F6. We should go there before we go too far south.
    LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #530
    Orc in the Playground

You bid Tig-Titter-Tut farewell, leaving her and her strange home behind. The rest of the day passes without incident.

19 Gozran, 4708

The next day sees you through the northern reaches of the forest. The trees thin out, transforming over the course of the morning hours into rolling hills, often eroded away into craggy ridges and boulder-strewn valleys. But the ground is still easily traversable, and, by the day's end, you can see Oleg's Post as a speck in the distance.

20 Gozran, 4708

Your horses trot through the gates to Oleg's Post early in the morning, though the sun is up and the Post's inhabitants are about their business. Oleg spots you as you enter, taking the reins of your mounts and leading them away to the stables.

Svetlana is hanging laundry out to dry in the courtyard, accompanied by Jhod. The priest appears to by trying to be helpful in a matter outside his field of expertise, which mostly turns into handing Svetlana garments to hang up.

Kesten Garess and his guards don't appear to be taking any chances with the old fort's security. The palisade has been mended in places, and new logs added to weak points. In one corner, you note, work has begun on a new structure, which is currently only support beams and a plank floor.

To your surprise, you spot Vasily Derorn, one of the bandit prisoners you captured from the Thorn River encampment, reclining on a tree-stump stool and whistling a tune as he sharpens a weathered old longsword.

21. - Top - End - #531

"My goodness," Ilya says sardonically, striding over to Vasily Derorn. "If it isn't our talkative friend. I take it you've decided to stay then, to renounce your wicked ways?" he says, raising an eyebrow. "I cannot in all honesty say I was expecting that. Still, bravo. Though I do question the judgement of whomever gave you that sword."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

"Maybe he's on guard duty," Tireas suggests, even though Vasily is clearly capable of speaking for himself. "A bit ironic, since if he were on guard duty the night I ambushed the camp, he'd have a punctured jugular."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

The ex-bandit chuckles mirthfully. "Or I might not be here at all," he banters back at Tireas. "If I'd been on guard duty, you might not have gotten by me."

"But no," he goes on, "I'm not going to become a paladin any time soon. I've got this back," he says, hefting his sword, "'cause it turns out people don't mind a killer, just someone trying to kill them. Lord Garess had me freed after the incident with Cutter." He shrugs and continues to grind his whetstone over the blade. "Gonna take ages to get this back in working condition... Those damn guards must have left it in the bloody rain for a week," he grumbles.

Oleg, meanwhile, has retrieved a sack from the stables, returning to the group. "Here," he says, thrusting it at whoever first takes it. "For killing Tuskgutter. Old Vekkel came by yesterday, said he 'felt it in his bones' that the boar was dead." Oleg seems dubious.

Spoiler
    Show
    The bag contains a masterwork longbow and ten +1 animal bane arrows.

"Oh, and there's some dwarf from Restov at the post, merchant looking to make some coin off of adventuring types. He's got some fancy gear. If you want to check it out, I told him he could set up his wagon by the bunkhouse." Oleg throws his thumb over his shoulder, indicating the merchant's location. Sure enough, a rotund dwarf with a close cropped golden beard is sitting by a study wagon laden with equipment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty much anything you can afford, he's got. Feel free to make purchases and sell.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Orc in the Playground

Spotting the other servant of the heavens there, Estanos dismounts (poorly), finds his composure once more, and walks over to the duo working on hanging clothes out to dry. " Good day to both of you. Brother Jhod, we found the shrine you'd been looking for. There was.. a man there. Its former priest. Cursed." Estanos doesn't seem to quite know what to say. " He isn't there any more."

With that information delivered, Estanos produces the ring they'd found in their excursions and shows it to Svetlana. He doesn't actually -believe- this is the ring ( what are the odds of finding the right ring, anyhow? ), but he gives it a shot. " I don't suppose that this happens to be a certain ring that went missing, is it? "

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

"Let's be glad that isn't something we should test here." Tireas responds with a grin, who then turns from one ex-bandit to another. "Merrin, do you have the maps? We should plan our next route after dinner."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

26. - Top - End - #536
    Orc in the Playground

"The priest of your god had been transformed into a monstrous bear," Viktor growls at the elderly cleric of Erastil. "Was this something that you knew?" he demands, voice suspicious. The old man risked all our lives if he withheld information. "In any event, he is dead now, and your temple is reclaimed." The paladin sounds bitter; in truth, the incident has left him shaken. Even the gods of this land are savage and uncivilized. A monument task is before us.

Stalking over to Derorn, he scowls. "What is this 'incident with Cutter?' Where is your former-compatriot now?"
    Last edited by Winterfell; 2012-10-14 at 04:51 PM.
    LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #537

Zinovia makes her way to the closest seat, her entire body aching from saddle sores. The chill in her brittle bones is nothing compared to the cold look she gives Vasily. "Your weapon... is but a means to an end... bandit. Do not mistake its significance." Her voice comes out faltering and wheezing, quiet and yet sharp.

She eases herself to her feet, pulling back her hood to let her bleached white hair fall free. Her eyes have an almost yellowish gleam to them as she fixes her gaze on Jhod, nearing the priest. "Cursed and wretched. And the circle is now complete. Does it not disconcert you to think that the circle should become a cycle at Erastil's unknowable will?" An almost imperceptible hint of fear flickers across Zinovia's pale face. "It would me."
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-10-14 at 10:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

"I see," Jhod says slowly as Estanos reports the temple and the presence of the cursed priest. "I had thought to be overjoyed to hear of its discovery, but this news brings great sadness." Viktor's growling question further clarifies the situation for Jhod. "I did not know that there would be such a monstrosity there... In my dream, I felt a darkness around the temple, but I thought it to be the years of disrepair."

Zinovia's pointed question makes Jhod tense slightly. He takes a long sigh. "I don't know why the priest was punished, but I must trust that Erastil's will is just."

Viktor, Ilya, and Tireas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jhod is more shaken than he is letting on.

Estanos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jhod is more shaken than he is letting on. You don't think it's out of fear, though. It seems to be a memory that has rattled the priest.

Vasily gives Tireas a raised eyebrow. "Right, try to pretend you're not a killer at heart an' that you'd rather not be slitting throats. Fine by me."

Merrin nods at the tiefling in reply to his question about maps. The boy practically trembles, though; apparently time in the wilderness hasn't made him warm up to Tireas' hellishness.

Vasily goes on without regard for the boy, answering Viktor's sharp question about where is Cutter. Languidly, the bandit raises a hand, pointing outside the palisade. "Well Mister Paladin Sir, there's a pile of dirt out that way, 'bout twenty feet from the wall. An' below that pile is Cutter, right where he belongs."

The bandit grins, the look on his face suggesting that the talkative man has a verbose and embellished tale to tell. But a clanking of armour signals the arrival of Kesten Garess. "Let's have the short version this time, Derorn."

"Ah, fine, as it pleases you. Well, it was a lovely day, the sun was high in the sky and the birds were singin'... Cutter and we, 'course we're tied up and secured in the storage shed, with nothing to do. Except Cutter's more clever than he looks, see, so, being bored, he decided to chew through his ropes. Me, I'm of a much more discerning taste. Anyways, Svetlana comes in round about noon to give us our gruel, and Cutter grabs her, puts a knife to her throat, and tells Kesten and his fellas that he's leavin'."

Kesten taps Vasily on the shoulder. "The short version, Derorn."

"Right, he's still smarting about it, I forget sometimes. Me being the gentleman that I am, I grab Cutter's hand an' tug the knife away. Before you can even curse, we're rolling on the ground and grabbing for it." He shrugs. "I won."

29. - Top - End - #539

"Now, now, my dear Sir Kesten, let the man have his hour. I'm sure his tale is riveting. Even if it's not, the worst that can come from the long version is boredom. I'll accept the risk."

"By the gods, perhaps you'll make a decent human being yet," Ilya remarks, surprised, as Vasily Derorn finishes his tale. "Unless you gave Cutter that knife in the first place, or some such duplicitous thing. Where did he get it from anyways, if you'll indulge my curiosity?
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

30. - Top - End - #540
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos does not say what he is thinking to Jhod. He can think of worse sensations than having fear in one's heart when thinking of the god one worships while being taunted by the servant of another, but not many. Instead, he reaches out and grips his shoulder in sympathy before he heads over to the bedrooms they'd been occupying.

In what he is increasingly considering 'his' room, the foreigner checks on his canaries. After spending a rather large amount of time doting on them, he re-examines the assorted letters he'd written over the past week. He'll be able to post them from here back to the city, he hopes. Having seen to that, he seeks out Marrin and asks a favor of him.

" Marrin, could you speak to the others, the guards, our hosts, and so on and let them know that I'll be performing a prayer service in the morning? I imagine some of them could do with the cleansing and forgiving light of our Lady." He doesn't really expect any of the guards to take him up on his offer, but there is no harm in setting the offer in front of them and Estanos has some hope that Svetlana will be present (and maybe drag Oleg with her, too). With that, he goes back to sorting through his things, getting his official clerical garb and his copy of the Holiest Book ready for travel. Having the right amount of pomp should help with showing the kobold tribe the Light...