New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: AA's Kingmaker Part I: The Stolen Lands

Ilya freezes when he sees his father's banner. Blasted funereal boat, waiting - no, trying - to haul me back to that grey waste of courtesy and black-hearted intriguing. Blast. He feels like a deer frozen by the approaching threat.

"Alright," Ilya whispers breathily in response to Viktor, ducking behind the warrior quickly and, remarkably, without comment. "Be careful, please," he whispers back at Viktor. "I don't want to loose you either, not over my stupidity."

The young man pales as Zinovia speaks, her voice cold and cutting as a knife. Tireas offers no comfort either. "There - er, there might be something we, well, that we... neglected to tell you all. I'm sorry, I never meant to endanger any of you. When we met, I told you my name was Ilya Kuril." He pauses, taking a shaky breath. "That was a lie. My real name is Prince Ilya Surtova, second in line to the throne of Brevoy. There isn't time to explain now, but these soldiers are sent by my father, looking to bring me back. I can't. If these men find us, they'll do exactly that. They'll see our horses tracks no matter what we do now, hence Viktor's plan. Please, we need your help."
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2012-10-28 at 09:10 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

As he hears Ilya's confession, it takes Tireas a few moments to truly understand the impact of his words. Slowly, a smile curls onto the tiefling's face, revealing his sharp teeth in an almost sadistic grin, and his pitch-black tongue.

"Well isn't that just... perfect. Having the very prince of the Surtovas, of Brevoy itself so close! We wouldn't want anything to happen to Ilya, the life of this expedition! Luckily for you, dear friend, I excel at stealth and subterfuge. If you don't wish to be found, then you need only ask for my help and protection, and the Surtovas will stay clueless of your location as long as you wish." He pats the newly-revealed prince on the shoulder and gives a grin that is perhaps less reassuring than Tireas hopes and more, well, creepy.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I see," Zinovia says quietly as Ilya reveals himself. I did not think Tireas to prone to unseemly displays of insipid sentiment, she thinks as the tiefling says his piece.

"It is... understandable that you would wish to conceal yourself when we were strangers. I would have done the same. Perhaps we shall come to know the reasons for your presence in time, but for now, it hardly matters. I owe both you and Viktor a debt, and, whatever you may think of me, I do not take such things lightly."

The wizardess raises her hands, directing them towards the tents of the camp. "It matters not to me whom your enemies are, whether justly or unjustly so. But I will never have it be so that I have failed." Flames leap from her hands, scorching the tents with her potent magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Burning hands on as many tents as possible.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos is somewhere between dumbfounded and disgusted, equally at the deception that his supposed allies engaged in as the catastrophic plan that they're putting forward for -dealing- with the supposed problem.

But still, he soldiers on, and does his best to offer advice. " I doubt that ransacking their camp, and making off with things which they consider theirs is a way to keep them from following us. In fact, it seems likely that it would draw them -to us-. Wouldn't we follow any such trail of a group so egregiously stupid, so utterly half-witted to attack our camp thus? Perhaps they can be offered a bribe to look the other way. Coin to overlook the high spirited young prince."

At which point Zinovia torches the tents, demonstrating that disregard for ethics which makes her so much fun at parties. Estanos doesn't even sigh. His lips go in to a long, straight line. His eyes narrow, and his dark skin still manages to carry a flush. He is absolutely furious.
    Hunting Blackpool Hall | OOC
    The Dream of Cormanthr | OOC

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III - Now Recruiting!
    My Team: Tinwë United ( Pro Elf - CRAZY )
    Season 2: 5-5-2 Cup Semi-Finalists

5. - Top - End - #575
    Orc in the Playground

Viktor looks warily at Tireas. The tiefling's response is admittedly unexpected. "Thank you, d- Tireas. We are in your debt. I may have misjudged you when first we met. And you as well, Lady Zinovia," he says, bowing his head slightly. "I am grateful." He watches silently as jets of red flame issue forth from the wizardess's palms, licking at the canvas of the tents until they and the banners flying from the catch alight, blazing in the fast-approaching night.

"Unless you have more gold than the King of Brevoy, Estanos, then a bribe won't work," Viktor says bluntly. "Maybe you're right and they will follow us. Their mission, however, is not to hunt bandits, but to hunt an escaped prince. My hope is that they will return to Brevoy after this misfortune, or else simply not follow bandits whom it is not their task to slay. And what other option do we have? Simply ride off and wait for them to track us down? There are not many parties of five people riding horses in these lands who are not bandits, it is bound to arouse their suspicion."
    LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Before Estanos can interject, Tireas gives Zinovia an utterly dumfounded look as he asks, "Why would you do that?! You do realize this only will only increase the house's suspicions of our activity?"

He takes a look at the burning tents and shakes his head. As tempting as it was to light the Surtova's campsite on fire, Tireas couldn't thing of any reasonable motive for actually going through with it. "If they question Oleg, he knows which direction we went in, and... and I said I could keep Ilya safe, and... and... argh!"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

7. - Top - End - #577

"Because Viktor told me to," Zinovia replies to Tireas, leaning on her staff. "I do not care for the whys of this dispute. I care nothing for this dispute at all. But it seems to me that if you are afraid of being hunted..." she turns towards Ilya and Viktor, "you would become the hunters and destroy your pursuers."

8. - Top - End - #578

"Thank you, all, for your kindness," Ilya says with what he hopes is more suaveness than he was previously able to muster for his announcement. He's not sure he was successful: Tireas certainly disconcerted him more than a little. "Let us quickly take some of the weapons and other valuables, then we really ought to leave. I doubt we've got long before their burning tents alert bring them back, and if they see us the bandit illusion will be foiled."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #579
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia's signature spell catches on the cluster of tents, along with much of the trampled brush beneath it, jumping from place to place in the dry grass. The banners at the camp's entrance flare up into columns of fire as sparks catch on them, and the embers of the firepit blaze with new life in the conflagration.

Before long, nearly half the camp is ablaze, sending a cloud of smoke high into the air.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Orc in the Playground

" We hardly needed more money than the King has; we simply needed more than the King is -paying-," Estanos retorts, pointing out the obvious flaw in that argument of Viktor's," A far smaller sum, I am sure. Or for that matter, has already paid. If they're simply out hunting a reward for a return, then they likely haven't received much of anything. Don't mercenaries share with hunters the saying,' One in the hand is worth two in the bush?' " Estanos shrugs. " That's really the entire framework that the structure of bribes, all bribes are built upon. And they seem to still exist, despite the immensity of the wealth of kings."

" Not that it matters, at this point. Now we just have to pray that they're as cowardly as you imagine them to be. What other options we may have -had- are now remarkably reduced in number," Estanos nods at the rising column of smoke, clearly and loudly indicating their presence at the camp." We should be going. That is, unless you plan on following Zinovia's advice and plan on murdering them."

11. - Top - End - #581
    Orc in the Playground

"Planning on leaving, were you?" The voice cuts through the flame-filled air. "How fortunate that the lost Prince Ilya has come to us." Turning, you see a figure approaching the camp. He's a lithe man, with brown hair pulled back into a warrior's ponytail. A dueling scar runs down one cheek. He wears a silvery chainmail shirt and fine leathers under a deep blue coat bearing House Surtova's sigil. Behind him, eight soldiers are following, spread out, hands on their weapons. Issia is a hard land, and the men and women who serve it equally so, scowling, clad in piecemeal metal armour, the unifying feature of which is a tabard bearing the grey ship of Ilya's house.

Ilya and Viktor
    Spoiler
    Show
    The figure is Islanei Surtova, a noble scion of the House. He's an able duelist who's killed a number of challengers before.

"I give you one chance to surrender," the leader says. "Drop your weapons, now. And don't be a fool about this, Viktor. You won't win if you fight."

Map (in case of battle):
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #582

"I'm not going back, Islanei," Ilya retorts, glaring at his distant relative. I will not allow my father to dictate my life again. More importantly, I cannot imagine they will spare Viktor's life if we return. No, he'll be the scapegoat, Ilya thinks. "And I'm not lost," he continues, more than a little petulantly. "I left, it was on purpose. If you try to return me by force," he says, his voice deadly serious. "You will probably succeed. But the first man, and likely the second and third who step forward will die," he says, knocking an arrow in his bow and pointing it at the Brevish soldiers.

"The rest of you should go, quickly," he whispers to his companions. "They're after me, not you, and they can't kill me, but they can kill you. I don't know how scalable that cliff is, but good luck. I'll miss you, Viktor," he says, giving the man a sad smile.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

" I know for a fact that Viktor won't be leaving your side, your highness. And I doubt that Tireas will be either, after that little oath of his." Estanos returns the prince's whisper with one of his own as he wears a wan smile. " You seem to be as stuck with us as we are with you."

Pitching his voice to rise over the crackle of the fire, Estanos addresses the party of would-be abductors. " Though you have delivered your demand, you can see that we are disinclined to respond favorably to such stark terms. It is understandable that you feel you have to stick to them, that you have little room to make decisions. Discharging royal decrees tend to that direction."

" The trouble being that we, all of us, Prince Ilya included, currently labor under a royal charter of our own. Were we to waver from it, even at the command of another group sent by kingly command, we would be no less in violation of its demands. Naturally, -we- can't let that happen. An impasse has formed."

" Clearly, this is all just a misunderstanding. Someone in the government back home is not talking to someone else. It happens all of the time. But we shouldn't let their simple blunder turn into a tragic mistake. I'm sure we can find a solution that avoids bloodshed. I doubt anyone would be pleased by that, back home. Here we are, away from the gaze of issuers of writs and orders. Reasonable men and women in the wilderness. Lets all just take our hands away from our weapons and see what we can figure out."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy, modified by Touch of Glory: (1d20+14)[22]

14. - Top - End - #584

"It is five against nine, in case your counting gives you troubles," Zinovia states bluntly. "So it would be best to listen to the priest before you begin losing your lives. Perhaps you could be persuaded to discover that the erstwhile prince was devoured rather messily, leaving behind only some trinket conveniently identifiable as belonging to him amongst his masticated bones." The wizardess raises a thin eyebrow, as if daring the men to disagree.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Orc in the Playground

"Ilya..." Viktor mutters, looking striken. "If you want me to leave, you'll have to fire those arrows at me," he says, returning the prince's smile. "We've come this far, I'm not abandoning you now." He points his sword directly at the leader, holding it steadily as he takes a step forward.

"Go. Now. My compatriots have given you good advice," he says, looking gratefully at Zinovia - he had not expected such loyalty for her - and Estanos. "By Abadar, if you do not, I shall ensure that not a one of you leaves here alive, let alone with the Prince in bonds."

Spoiler
    Show
    Go go untrained intimidate check: (1d20+3)[8]

Edit: I guess Viktor is not so scary
    Last edited by Winterfell; 2012-10-30 at 08:41 PM.
    LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

Tireas' heart pounds furiously as the soldiers identify themselves. When the group previously was outnumbered, at least they had surprise on their side. This time, they had neither.

The tiefling attempted to come up with a few ways to get out of the situation. Perhaps he could hold Ilya hostage since they need to take the prince alive. Or maybe he could challenge Islanei's honor, letting the fight be on more fair terms. Instead, however, what Tireas blurts out is, "You'll have to kill me and Viktor before you take him. If Ilya says he can take three of you out, then I'm at least worth five."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

17. - Top - End - #587
    Orc in the Playground

Islanei listens as the group speaks, arms folded across his chest, his blue coat blowing in the wind. "It's very noble of you to offer yourself up, Ilya," he says, his voice mocking, "but your companions are loyal, if foolish. You always did inspire that emotion in people; look at Viktor – the damn fool's like your dog."

He looks at Estanos, sighing. "Priest, we'll be rewarded greatly for returning the Prince. I'll become a full Lord and," he raises his voice so that his soldiers can hear him, "these good warriors will be honoured with gold and titles. King Noleski has promised a knighthood to whoever kills the treacherous bodyguard, and enough gold to live out your lives in luxury for every one of you. You can't match that, priest."

His voice becomes louder yet, and he draws his glinting longsword, carved with runes and embedded with sapphires. "The Prince threatens you; so does his guard and the demonspawned wretch. They're bluffing. You need look only at his allies to know their weakness: a woman who could die should the next gust of wind blow too strong, a fiendish cur who by rights should have been slaughtered at birth, a priest who parlays where swords ought to speak, and the bodyguard who stole our Prince and ran like a coward."

"Leave the Prince alive. Kill the rest."

Round 1

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    The map from my last post is still accurate. Check it out.
    Last edited by ApatheticAbacus; 2012-10-31 at 09:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588

"I didn't want to do this, Islanei. I never wanted anyone to die for me," Ilya says. "You've made your decision, and I hope you've made your peace with the gods as well."

The prince steps to the side, to get a better angle for a shot. As he does so, he begins to sing, enchanting his song with magic and empowering his allies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a 5-foot step diagonally right and down, and activating Inspire Courage. +1 to attack and damage rolls.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #589
    Orc in the Playground

"This battle was inevitable," Viktor mutters to himself as he hefts his blade. "Islanei, I won't let you take us. You refuse to give up, so you will have to die," he announces, before charging forwards and swinging his bastard sword at the Surtova agent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil centered on ISL (Islanei) before Viktor charges. Charging and power attacking Islanei. If he's evil, that'll also include a smite, but I won't add that on now.

Power attack roll: (1d20+10)[15] (+3 if evil)
    Damage roll: (1d10+7)[17] (+2 if evil)

HP 21
    AC 17 (20 against Islanei if he is evil)
    LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #590

Zinovia watches Viktor charge. With the soldiers too far away for the most destructive of her spells, she decides to make ready her defences. She waves her hands, muttering a few syllables of arcane power. At once, a shimmering, inky curtain falls over her.

"Be careful," she calls. "We cannot allow ourselves to be overwhelmed."

Spoiler
    Show
    She'll cast mage armour on herself, bring her AC to 16.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

"There's so many of them..." Tireas says as they draw their weapons. "Let's stay behind the cover and," before he can finish his sentence, Viktor charges into the fray, assaulting the leader of the Issian troops. "Dammit."

Despite being less armored, and not nearly as able to take a hit as Viktor, Tireas charges forward so the paladin will not be completely outmatched. As he advances, the tiefling's form vanishes, only to re-appear as his blade thrusts into Islanei's form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to use Vanishing Trick. Charging 6 squares down to attack Islanei.

(1d20+9)[28] against flat footed
    (1d8+7)[8] damage + (1d6)[2] sneak attack

HP: 12/12 AC: 16
    F: +0, R: +5, W: +3
    Ki: 3/4

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

22. - Top - End - #592
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia prepares her magical defences, while Ilya's magical music fills the air. Estanos, sorrow in his eyes, touches the Prince's bow, making it glow with a fiery golden light.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's magic weapon on Ilya's bow. +1 to attack and damage.

Viktor charges, his hand-and-a-half sword swinging down towards Islanei. The nobleman lives up to his reputation as a duelist, bringing his longsword up to deflect the blow and push Viktor momentarily off balance. He turns to face Tireas' charge, only to lose sight of the tiefling as he vanishes. He swings his sword in an arc, trying to catch Tireas in it, but the tiefling re-appears of his own volition, his curved blade cutting deeply into Islanei.

The House Surtova noble is not down yet, though. His weapon sparks with magical electricity as he thrusts its point at Tireas. "I was saving this for Viktor," he complains, "but or actually injuring me, I suppose I'll have to be contented with you." The sword stabs into Tireas, exploding with lightning as it touches the tiefling.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's 19 damage to Tireas. 10 electricity, 9 slashing.

The Issian soldiers are far from the bandit scum you've fought. They move forward together, most of them ignoring their leader and Viktor as the two clash in combat. They have their orders, unlimbering stumpy, functional wood bows from across their backs, firing as they advance. One arrow forces its way through Zinovia's mage armour, but its impact is lessened by the barrier. The other arrows stab into the long grasses, probably less than accurate because of how the soldiers try to avoid shooting at Ilya.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 damage to Zinovia.

Ilya himself is dealt with when one of the soldiers charges forwards. He is a stocky, stubbly-faced veteran, who apparently has no concern for manhandling royalty. He grabs Ilya by his bow arm, then by the scruff of his neck, holding him in place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilya is grappled.

One Issian remains behind to help his leader, circling around Viktor at a safe distance, drawing out his sword. He keeps his shield - painted with a rough facsimile of House Surtova's grey boat - in front of him as he swings at the paladin. Off balance from his charge, Viktor isn't able to deflect it.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 damage to Viktor.

Round 2

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #593

Zinovia grits her teeth behind her bloodless lips as the arrow jabs at her. She feels herself weakening, her strength draining away. She wants to sleep. She forces herself not to. Instead, she hobbles forwards, not showing her fear, closing some of the distance to three of the oncoming Issians. Nothing stands in my way, she thinks.

Flames rush from her hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move two steps left, and then diagonally down and left one space. From there, she can hit IS1 through 3 with burning hands.

Ref DC 19 for half: (4d4+1)[11]

24. - Top - End - #594

"Let go of me!" Ilya protests as he is caught by the arm and then the neck. He struggles for a moment, desperately try to escape the larger man's grip. Fine, he thinks after a moment. If I can't win by sheer brute strength, I'll win by other means. The young man mutters a quick incantation under his breath and attempts to make a subtle hand gesture.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attempting to cast Sleep (Will Save DC 14), which I believe can hit I5, I6, and I7 if Ilya's concentration check succeeds.

Concentration: (1d20+5)[13]

Edit: and also maintaining Inspire Courage as a free action.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2012-11-01 at 10:25 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #595
    Orc in the Playground

"Argh," Viktor grunts in pain as one of the Surtova soldiers slashes him in the back. The warrior spins around, keeping his shield to hopefully guard against any attack by Islanei. Hoping to remove his flanker, Viktor slashes at his opponents gut with his bastard sword while mending his own wounds with Abadar's energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power attacking IS4.

Power attack roll: (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage roll: (1d10+7)[12]

Lay on Hands (on himself): (1d6)[1]

HP 17
    AC 19
    Last edited by Winterfell; 2012-11-01 at 10:30 PM.
    LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #596
    Orc in the Playground

Estanos' healing light doesn't manage to revive the fallen Tireas, but does stave off death.

Ilya very nearly gets his spell off, but at the last moment, the soldier who has grabbed him twists the bard's arm, breaking his concentration and making the spell fizzle.

Zinovia has more success. Her flames rush out towards the advancing Issians. All three crumple, burned to death in moments by the inferno.

And Viktor's sword tears through his target's armour, nearly cutting all the way through the man's midriff. The House Surtova soldier falling to the ground, dead.

In a few seconds, half of the House Surtova soldiers have fallen. But they're well-trained, and sense that their victory is not far away. One of them, his sword held in a two-handed grip, charges at Zinovia. "I'll kill you!" he roars, eager to avenge the deaths of his comrades. His sword shatters her mage armour for a moment, cutting deeply into her.

Spoiler
    Show
    8 damage to Zinovia.

The other two soldiers close in on Ilya. As the prince struggles, they start to pummel at him with the flats of their swords. The Prince still has enough control to weave away from them, though.

Viktor manages to parry Islanei's attacks with shield and sword. But then the nobleman steps back from the fray, waving his free hand. Two bolts of pure magic whizz from his fingers, unerringly seeking out Zinovia.

Spoiler
    Show
    8 more damage to Zinovia.

Round 3

Estanos' healing washes once more over the battle, the priest praying as best he can to aid his allies. He has more luck this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 damage healed to everyone.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597
    Orc in the Playground

"Stop!" Viktor shouts as the Issian soldiers begin pummeling Ilya brutally. He gives the injured Islanei a glance, but there is no real choice. He hurtles back towards the group of soldiers, slashing at them with his sword as he charges into their midst.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charging IS8 and power attacking, flanking also.

Power attack roll: (1d20+12)[26]
    Damage roll: (1d10+7)[8]

HP 21
    AC 17
    LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #598

Zinovia's world goes back, her vision fading as pain lances through her frail body. But moments later, her vision clears, and she gasps for breath, coughing up blood in the process. She lies face down in the grass, soot from her own flames blackening her face. She manages to raise her head, seeing Viktor charging back to defend his prince.

"Nhh..." she groans, seeing the wounded Tireas left alone with Islanei. She crawls away from the soldier near her, waving a hand. "Tireas..." she calls weakly. "Finish him." A skeletal hand clenches as she focuses her power.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step away from the soldier beside her.

Casting Ear-piercing scream on Islanei. Fort DC: 18 to half the damage and negate the daze. (2d6+1)[13]
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-11-02 at 05:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

Blood clouds his vision as the Tiefling stumbles to a standing position. Only one opponent stands before him, and the man will fall.

Moving quicker than his injuries should allow, Tireas steps forward, vanishing out of sight before plunging his blade into Islanei's chest. When the tiefling said he would have to be killed for the Issian to get to the prince, he meant it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I think this is all valid

Move: Stand from prone
    Free: 5 foot step toward Islanei
    Swift: Ki point for Vanishing Trick

Standard: Attack!

(1d20+7)[18] against Flat Footed
    (1d8+7)[15] damage + (1d6)[5] sneak attack

If Zinovia killed him, then Tireas will just stand up and vanish (it lasts 2 rounds if I don't attack). Or if this will kill him, maybe Zinovia's turn can take place after, targetting someone else?

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

30. - Top - End - #600

"Oww, you brute! That was my wrist, damn it!" Ilya squawks indignantly as his captor bludgeons his hand to prevent his spell. Luckily, Viktor's charge provides a momentary distraction, which Ilya makes use of to try again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 2: Sleep targeting IS5, IS7, IS8 (Will Save DC 14).

Concentration: (1d20+5)[18]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!