New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition: the fifth edition of the discussion thread

My problem with fumbles was that your melee folks got MORE likely to fumble the higher level that they got. In contrast, harder spells never fumbled because they were magic. :(

Any fumble system really needs to encompass both magic and melee. If there is to be risk, then all characters must risk.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    It strikes me that all the horror stories about critical fumbles are not about the concept of fumbles, but about the execution. "You roll a one therefore something bad happens" is a decent game concept. "You roll a one therefore you just stabbed your own throat by accident" is ridiculous and strongly detrimental to gameplay.

So if WOTC manages to come up with a fumble table that doesn't let your character kill himself on a regular basis, it'll probably be okay.

I have always felt that critical fumbles turn what should be hardened and experienced adventurers into a Three Stooges routine. I can't imagine them taking a form that I would want in my game.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

It strikes me that all the horror stories about critical fumbles are not about the concept of fumbles, but about the execution. "You roll a one therefore something bad happens" is a decent game concept. "You roll a one therefore you just stabbed your own throat by accident" is ridiculous and strongly detrimental to gameplay.
    Well, to be fair every post-TSR D&D *did* have a "you roll a one therefore something bad happens" -- namely "you miss even if you would have hit."

Things like "drop your weapon" "stab your ally" do turn combat into, what Thialfi named in a delicious turn of phrase, a Three Stooges Routine. In a tactical combat system, Critical Misses add more chaos and typically slows down combat further; in a more dramatic system they could have a better role so long as losing magic swords in lava pits isn't crippling to other Themes in the system.

Still, it never quite fit for King Arthur to be chucking Excalibur into the middens a couple times every battle
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I still remember my first, and hopefully last experience with a critical fumble deck. If you rolled a "1", you had to roll another d20. On another "1" ... instant death.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd design a fumble system with two things in mind:

1. Exposing yourself to the possibility of fumbling should be a player choice: There should always be a way to act that's safe, if less rewarding.

2. The safe and unsafe options need to be balanced against one another. If nobody ever uses the unsafe option because it's suicidally stupid and provides no gain, the system needs work. If everybody uses the unsafe option all the time because the downsides are negligible, the system also needs work.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    I still remember my first, and hopefully last experience with a critical fumble deck. If you rolled a "1", you had to roll another d20. On another "1" ... instant death.
    I've had a damage immune character with Regeneration kill himself by critically fumbling with a sword. I really want to know how....
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Precisely my point, thanks. Critical fumbles aren't bad design per se, but critical fumbles that kill your character are.

That said, of course fumble rules should be optional. Some people like 'em, some people don't. And if they apply, they should also apply to spellcasters. But unless you're playing Paranoia, clearly they shouldn't involve killing yourself.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Halfling in the Playground

That said, of course fumble rules should be optional. Some people like 'em, some people don't. And if they apply, they should also apply to spellcasters. But unless you're playing Paranoia, clearly they shouldn't involve killing yourself.
    Dark heresy and the other games in that system have a chance for casters psykers to blow up their brains or worst when trying to use their powers, and the system seems relatively popular.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

...Your DM did realize this means the average first-level fighter only lives for 40 minutes of combat, even discounting what their enemies are trying to do to them?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    ...Your DM did realize this means the average first-level fighter only lives for 40 minutes of combat, even discounting what their enemies are trying to do to them?
    Or, really, any combatant, regardless of level...

11. - Top - End - #461
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMac307 View Post
    Or, really, any combatant, regardless of level...
    No, at higher levels it gets shorter as combatants get more attacks per round.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    No, at higher levels it gets shorter as combatants get more attacks per round.
    Lol, good point. A 20th level fighter would be dead on average after 10 minutes. That's hysterical.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Orc in the Playground

The problem with previous fumble iterations was that many just weren't interesting.

In a tactical combat, a fumble could produce a 5-foot step or a slide, in your enemy's favor. That sound small, but that forced movement can have a big effect.

To me, what a fumble really begs is an interesting "miss" system, one that doesn't make you feel stupid, but still produces that "whoa" reaction at the table as events take a sudden turn.

Scenarios that I like include:
    - Opponent gets to recharge power
    - Opponent gets a free slide
    - You get a forced slide
    - You lose all advantages and gain disadvantage until the end of your next turn

Stuff like that, only better.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Bugbear in the Playground

I could get behind a critical fumble module in a system where each action wasn't so powerful. At higher levels in D&D3.5, a single standard action or charge was more than capable of killing/incapacitating someone, and to lose out on that created a big swing in the dynamics of combat. In a slower system, where even high power combat isn't "Rocket Tag", and losing actions isn't utterly crippling, where the penalties can be neatly put into "Give Advantage to enemy/lose Advantage yourself", I could see it. Of course, I'd really like to see a more robust buff/debuff system than just (Dis)Advantage right now, but we'll see if modules fix that.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maglag View Post
    Dark heresy and the other games in that system have a chance for casters psykers to blow up their brains or worst when trying to use their powers, and the system seems relatively popular.
    To be honest I've never even heard of it. Do you seriously claim that it is comparably popular to Dungeons and Dragons?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest I've never even heard of it. Do you seriously claim that it is comparably popular to Dungeons and Dragons?
    It's a Warhammer game. Your character being able to die really easily to random flukes is just a part of the genre.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. I just noticed that WOTC is going to reprint the 3E core books, and is looking into reprinting other popular 3E books as well. This is in addition to their reprint of 1E.

So looks like they'll be competing with themselves, big time. I'm not convinced this is good business practice (then again, for the individual players it is great to have more systems freely available).

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. I just noticed that WOTC is going to reprint the 3E core books, and is looking into reprinting other popular 3E books as well. This is in addition to their reprint of 1E.

So looks like they'll be competing with themselves, big time. I'm not convinced this is good business practice (then again, for the individual players it is great to have more systems freely available).
    Looks more like hedging their bets to me. The thought process probably went "Hey, if 5E flops, at least we'll have the sales from the 3.5 reprints."

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see what they want to gain by that move in the long run either.

If it's just the core books, most will probably be bought by people who want to replace the worn ones they already have. Which I don't think won't be that many. Maybe a move to gain goodwill with the people who said "4th edition destroyed D&D for EVAR!" and getting them to rethink their stance of "I won't buy anything by WotC again, ever!".

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post

If it's just the core books, most will probably be bought by people who want to replace the worn ones they already have. Which I don't think won't be that many. Maybe a move to gain goodwill with the people who said "4th edition destroyed D&D for EVAR!" and getting them to rethink their stance of "I won't buy anything by WotC again, ever!".
    Possibly. I can't really see any reason for the 1E reprints except as a publicity stunt to say "Hey guys, we care about the 'good old days'!"

21. - Top - End - #471
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post

If they are trying to appeal to people who play old editions, why don't they release new material for old editions.

I mean, I already have all the core books for 2e and 3.5e, and most of the expansion manuals as well, or at least most of the ones I'll ever want, but a new module / adventure for 2e or 3.5e, that I may consider buying, maybe....

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

If they are trying to appeal to people who play old editions, why don't they release new material for old editions.
    Presumably because writing new material costs a lot of time from highly paid game designers, artists, and editors; whereas reprinting older books is just a matter of paperwork.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Wizards have to compete with previous versions of their product, whether they like it or not. If they try to cut supply of an edition of D&D, then the fans will pick up the slack, even if that means doing something illegal and/or unethical.

At the same time, they end up developing a reputation for being spiteful and out of touch with the 21st century.

I can't say I'm an expert in economics and business practices, but from where I'm standing, they're being given a choice between paying money to look bad and accepting money to look good. I get the vague impression that one of these options dominates the other. Just barely.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Presumably because writing new material costs a lot of time from highly paid game designers, artists, and editors; whereas reprinting older books is just a matter of paperwork.
    Why did you have to go and make so much sense and crush all my hopes and dreams?

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Why did you have to go and make so much sense and crush all my hopes and dreams?
    Do I get XP for killing that?

(edit) besides, material is being developed and published for earlier editions; just not by WOTC but by third parties.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2012-06-26 at 02:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to point out that, going by Amazon sales, used 3.5 books are selling quite well. Not on the top 100 (more like top 10 000), but still a significant amount(amazon deals on millions of diferent books) meaning that if people are willing to pay for beer-stained versions, they're surely willing to pay for shiny new versions. Specially when, as already mentioned, wotc doesn't actually have to pay to develop anything new, just get some printers running.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2012-06-26 at 02:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is that people don't have bottomless wallets. If you have people thinking "I would like to give 5th Edition a try, but I already bought four 3.5e books in the last three months", they will not get "hooked" by the new Edition. Which means they won't encourage their friends to play 5th Edition and buy those books.

No clue how strong that effect could actually be, but as someone in charge of marketing, I would feel very uneasy about it.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Banned

Griffon

Please, please no critical fumble. I don't even care if spellcasters get equal chance for a change. Just NO!

If you must, must, must, have it than no worse than "Roll a 1. Confirm the miss. If miss, opponent gets Advantage for one attack." For spellcasting, since you don't roll to cast, roll anyway. If get a 1, confirm the miss. (How, to be determined). If miss, opponent gets Advantage on the saving throw or you get Disadvantage on roll to hit for appropriate spells.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    Please, please no critical fumble. I don't even care if spellcasters get equal chance for a change. Just NO!

If you must, must, must, have it than no worse than "Roll a 1. Confirm the miss. If miss, opponent gets Advantage for one attack." For spellcasting, since you don't roll to cast, roll anyway. If get a 1, confirm the miss. (How, to be determined). If miss, opponent gets Advantage on the saving throw or you get Disadvantage on roll to hit for appropriate spells.
    Just about the only incarnation of critical fumble I've cared for was a thread or two back when the idea of "Opportunity" as a universal mechanic that works something like combo points, where some attacks build up opportunity on a target, and other spend it, and similarly some actions may increase the opportunity on yourself. In such a system, having a critical fumble increase your opportunity by 1 is something noticeable but isn't as versimilitude shattering as a Warrior killing himself by attacking a target dummy for a few minutes.

Fun story: A year or so back I played D&D with a new DM who decided she wanted to include critical fumbles, where on a natural 1 you dealt damage to yourself as if you hit yourself with your attack. Well I was playing a heavy armor shield user, and it was low level (like 2 iirc), and we ran into a bunch of clones of ourselves... the end result was me and my clone attacking each other and constantly whiffing, the fight only ending because my clone rolled 3 natural 1s over the course of the fight, killing himself. I don't think I managed to land one hit on him.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Just about the only incarnation of critical fumble I've cared for was a thread or two back when the idea of "Opportunity" as a universal mechanic that works something like combo points, where some attacks build up opportunity on a target, and other spend it, and similarly some actions may increase the opportunity on yourself. In such a system, having a critical fumble increase your opportunity by 1 is something noticeable but isn't as versimilitude shattering as a Warrior killing himself by attacking a target dummy for a few minutes.
    Stagger meter?