New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Playground 4: SAN Overboard!

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt Ballroom

"You've never lied that I know of, but you make a living convincing people that all sorts of junk they don't need is absolutely vital to them." She casts a glance back into the parlor, before looking back to the Marquis. "As for asking for my help, you did that the second you lied to the Duke about my name. Lies are like a house of cards - each one you add on is something else to keep up with, and if you add one the wrong way it all comes crashing down."

When Arabella asks her what the plan is, Rayle shakes her head. "Something stinks around here, and I'm not talking about the library. I learned my lesson long ago about going along with plans when I don't know what they are. So tell me, Lucien, how dear Odette is going to escape the Duke, and I'll consider it. And maybe you could do it without talking down to me this time?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt: Ballroom

"Rayle, you just called me a slaver, I'll talk down to you in my castle if I damned well please. Violin. Office. Needs tuning."

Lucien paused, rubbing his neck and sighing as he collected his thoughts.

"Odette cannot refuse the duke. That will only anger him and shame our family. Nor can Odette simply disappear. If she runs off or I hide her, then I'm to blame. Anger and shame again. Brant himself has to think its his idea to break of the engagement. Failing that, well, I do have a backup plan, but I'd rather it not come to that. Your task is the first: fend off any of the charming rogues who vie for my cousin's ear tonight. For now, she's crestfallen, but dutiful (I spoke with her just before my encounter with the duke). She must remain so. I'll not have her squawking about love at first sight or some other nonsense and calling the whole thing off in a teary eyed scene. Brant is mine. Though the Floran Queen is our aunt, Odette isn't exactly a highborn lady. With my uncle passed and no brothers, she's worth nothing to the duke spare her beauty and fertile loins. I'll subtly remind him of that fact and see if I can't point him towards a more eligible Valish woman."

He took a breath at last.

"Just play along for the night and I'll give you full access to my library... all of it. If the evening is a success, I'll even give you something from the vault."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Ballroom of Castle Greycourt

"Mmmhmm. I've been to that country, Lucien. Marriage to a man like the duke is slavery, only with a slightly higher tea to beatings ratio and no chance of rescue." Rayle holds up a hand to forestall further argument. "Look, I'm sorry for blowing up on you here, but this is kind of a sore point with me. I get that you're in a tight spot and I'm glad you have a plan. Just know that if it looks like Odette will be bound for unholy matrimony anyway, I might have a backup plan of my own." She pauses. "And speaking of being the boss of the castle, I'm not sure I can hold off ten... passionate men if Odette is the gorgeous darling you claim she is. Arabella and I could use a little help from the architecture...?" She turns the last statement into a question, raising an eyebrow.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

24th of Amber’s Fall
    Plunderer's Folly
    Vasae and Co

Vasae takes a bow to the strange elf, smiling politely as always. “Then I suspect to see you when I get a ship. Until then Farlin.” Turning neatly on his heel, Vasae strides past the two baiting Elves, wiggling his fingers at the two. “Coming boys?” he asks, sweeping towards the docks without truly looking back. He moved to the familiar looking ship, glancing up at the deck before cupping a hand around his mouth. “Captain Rakham!” he shouted, the otherwise soft spoken elf doing his best to be heard over the din of the docks and the water below. “I have a proposal for you! Permission to come aboard?”

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly, Deck
    Captain Jacob Rackham

A few minutes after the initial call, a knock came at the door of the Captain's Cabin as one of the deckhands relayed the message. It only took a few short minutes before the Captain himself strode onto the ship's deck, and lowered the Gangplank.

"Ambassador, it's been some time! Please come aboard, and we'll speak privately in the Cabin."

Naturally, Rackham himself quickly returns to the cabin, and unloads three extra seats. It would not do to be disrespectful to a foreign dignitary or his allies by expecting them to stand...

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Wayfarer's Point, Bukiya Inn
    21st of Amber's Fall, Evening
    (Clive - GuyFawkes)

Spoiler
    Show
    Non finished cleaning and laughed.
    "I will make sure Myst knows. But I don't think she will appreciate such a joke." Non replied. "And your favorite room is available! I will get the key for you. Please wait." When Clive spoke to Captain Blake, Non went to put the key in her pocket. And then to receive orders of drinks of Clive with her normal smile.

"Of course." She said, pouring more drinks to bring to the Captain's table. After to deliver these, she brought a drink to Clive.

[Some times later]

At last Non came to Clive's table, after the food and drink was finished, and a certain Captain had left. Non put a plate with a [chocolate croissant] for Clive and sat down across from him.

"Sorry, it has been so busy." She said an apology. "Well, Clive can certainly see." She said to smile and make gesture at the inn. "We have become popular and busy since you were here. Oh! I've added 2000 stories to the collection also."

She hesitated. "And, maybe tomorrow you can come to the shop. I have worked very hard on gun repairs, like you taught me. But maybe you can tell me your opinion. Or, if you need yours repaired, I can try to help. Maybe you can show me some new?"

"Ah, and then there is Myst." Non made a rare frown. Myst was washing dishes in the kitchen, to have played a shinobi very much. Non looked at her cup of tea, and suddenly it was a rare sight. She looked to be nervous and holding a heavy [burden]. But a normal expression returned, and then a serious and earnest look at Clive.

"I want to hear your stories, but I'm going to be busy tonight. We can talk tomorrow maybe. I want to let Myst go to bed early tonight. Maybe she is just working too hard." Then Non smiled.

"I think Myst will want to hear your stories too. But she will forgive me to ask one question. How is Rhadamanthus? Did you stop to travel with him?"

21st day of Amber's Fall
    Early Afternoon, Bukiya Inn
    Morgus - Hydranova

Spoiler
    Show

Non thought for a little while.
    "We can always use some help to cut wood, orif you want to do dishes, there are some to be cleaned."

"I can do such a thing, Non." Myst said.

"I know, Myst. Don't worry, he isn't taking your job! He's just helping us. I can work in the shop this afternoon if he helps with the work here."

"..." Myst maintained a sullen silence and looked suspiciously at the mask of Morgus. Non handed her a tray and gave a small push.

"Come on, Myst. You can show him how to properly do chores later. But some customers are waiting for you."

Myst hurried away with distracting thoughts, while Non looked at Morgus.
    "I still want to hear about the mask. And why you don't take it off. If you tell me about your story, then maybe I'll let you get a service cheaply. So, which will you do?"

17th day of Amber's Fall
    08:00; Bukiya Inn
    Vasae - Tebryn

Spoiler
    Show
    Non didn't know many good stories about elf history. She knew many stories about elves, but most of them, to be told by pirates or sailors was bad. Or to have grudging respect. The stories of adventurers often were awe or guesses. But to hear a story from an Elf, it was a rare treat.

So of course Non was fascinated by the story of Vasae. The [Teachers] and searching of seas she had heard a little of this kind of story. But Vasae said this like truth, and so Non wondered some more, to think a little of Myst as well.

When Vasae shouted, Non smiled. A few sailors looked annoyed at Vasae, but returned to their own loud stories.

Gwythmelin and the Castle of Pearl. This was new. The Castle of Pearl seemed familiar in a way. It reminded Non of her meeting with Myst...but that isn't a story for now!

And the riddle.

I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation, and I surround every place. What am I?

Non thought quietly. Then she made a regretful expression.

"I don't know! What did the Hero Gwythmelin say?" She asked.

20th day of Amber's Fall
    Evening; Bukiya Inn
    Jonathan - Xondoure

Spoiler
    Show

Non leaned on the counter with a smile.
    "Of course. But you are going to tell us the story, right? Your note promised. And I am curious how you became so injured to arrive like that." Non didn't mention the magic as well. But there was a curious expression of her eyes too.

But she wouldn't ask such a thing if there were other customers in the room of course.

"If it is ok, please leave this side to me." Myst offered. She looked at Jonathan and then at Non earnestly. "Since he called me, I am also very curious." Myst wasn't sure why she offered suddenly. In good spirits, it seemed a nice thing to do, and she was curious. She knew Jonathan had used magic before, that was what woke Myst. And she knew Jonathan had healed himself with magic- Non had of course told her about the bed. And to recover quickly from those wounds, of course it must have been.

Non looked content with this idea. "Ok, if Jonathan does not mind. But take good notes! I want to know later." She winked and left to help other customers, to leave Myst with Jonathan.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

The Spotted Fish
    25th of Amber's Fall, Morning

"My crew doesn't make a habit of spying on my conversations. And frankly I don't walk into dark enclosed spaces alone with a man who wears a mask. If you want to say anything spit it out in the clean salt air."

The Dirty Hangman
    24th of Amber's Fall, Midday

A tall man with a scar all the way down from his eye to his chest turned and grinned at Clive. He was missing a few teeth but that was nothing unexpected in these parts. He wore a black tunic that was almost a vest but met halfway down his torso. And on his neck there was a tattoo of a mermaid being hung out to dry by a fisherman's hook.

"That'd be me you're looking for laddie. What can I do for ya?"

Amber's Fall 21st, Late Afternoon
    Castle Greycourt: Foyer

"I had hoped to borrow the use of your library, but I hear that's currently unavailable. Of course now I'm much more interested in what all the fuss is about."

Jonathan gazed appreciatively at the furnishings, wondering privately just how the marquis was able to acquire it all. It couldn't be his budget, not stranded out here on a rock where nobility barely meant anything.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-06-21 at 04:30 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly
    Veldin

Veldin grunted as Vasae finished up his conversation, the only gesture of assent to his invitation being to push up off the pole he'd been leaning against. He took his time, however, to take another drag on the cigar before stubbing it out on the walkway with a booted toe.

This time he did exhale in Lorindal's direction, before giving him an eyes-rolled look of 'Well, we'd better go see what this is about, eh?' and traipsing sullenly after the Ambassador.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Asmodeus View Post
    21st day of Amber's Fall
    Morning; Bukiya Inn
    Hassar Wavecutter

Hassar slithered and squirmed closer to the table, getting out of the way of the main area. He tapped his carbine 'pistol' at his hip "I'm not winnin' awards for my shootin any time soon, but I can keep my arms and barrels straight, and I hit my targets most of the time."
    Kessia smiled, accepting the blue wine from Non with a nod of thanks, and taking a sip to check the flavor, an act shortly followed by a widening of her smile, and another appreciative nod.

"A fine vintage. Your taste is commendable. As for your skills," she went on, plainly speaking to Hassar again. "I apologize for any offense you might take, but I'll need a demonstration before I agree to anything, though if you're telling the truth, you've got a berth. If you come to the Firebrand this afternoon, I should be able to have something interesting arranged by then?"

[15th of Amber's Fall
    Early Morning
    At Sea, the Firebrand
    Kessia Harket, Hakuhale, Crew, Deadbeat]

"If we drop him on an island, his family will send someone to pick him up within a week,"
    Leshi says quietly, apparently much calmer than one might expect. "So it will have to be this... Caerchabel*... you offer to make. Unless the Yhranrae* disagrees, of course."

"I would tend to agree with Leshi," Kessia confirms, nodding somewhat. "Especially since if he agrees to it, he has far less recourse to any laws that might apply, and if I understand the nature of your Bargains correctly, he would have to for it to be binding."

((I'm not sure if you actually want to have Hakuhale be taken to Kessia on-screen or not. If you do, let me know and I'll get a post up for that, too.))

Spoiler
    Show
    Caerchabel (care-kuh-bell): An agreement or deal, especially one magical in nature.

Yhranrai (yah-hran-ray): A group leader or other person of import; often used for a Sireni who is the head of multiple family groups.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-06-21 at 04:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly
    Lorindal

The pale elf smirked faintly at the Ambassador, giving him a light nod in response. He waved a hand in front of his face to clear the smoke from Veldin's cigar, casting the surly Gin an unreadable though intent look. Without commenting he followed after the pair however, casting a glance around behind them before keeping in step with Veldin's pace even if slightly behind him. He had no intention of letting the Ambassador out of his sights.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

17th day of Amber's Fall
    Vasae, Non

Vasae chuckled, glancing about before leaning in with a hushed tone as if the answer itself was a secret. “The answer, she replied, was the letter E for it is the beginning of the End, it ends timE and spacE and without it crEation would not be. And as she spoke the doors opened in the castle wide enough for her to sail her ship inside. We know little of what was within, the stories end with her sailing inside, only her ship and her trusted men returning sworn never to speak of what they saw within. Gwythmelin did not return to us however.” He finishes his tea with a pleasant sigh, leaning back up slowly. “I think it would be wonderful to find such a place...be like a hero of the old tales. There are scarce few told in the halls of Varden these days that none have heard before.”

24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly, Deck
    Captain Jacob Rackham, Vasae, Veldin, Lorindal

Vasae laughs, nodding as he strides onto the boat. “A week and a handful of days by your peoples count only! But a blink to me Captain!” he chuckles, waving to those working on the deck in a friendly and rather knowing nature. He steps inside the Captain’s quarters swiftly though holds the door for the pair behind, taking a seat after. “A pleasent day for you Captain, may I introduce Lorindal Moonshadow and Veldin Tanner?” He motions to the pair in turn, smirking at them both. “Now then, I’ve come into some information about a boat with a load of treasure but I’m without a ship. I remembered my good friend Captain Rackham and figured for a cut you may lend me your ship and skill with it? A fifty fifty cut? That is the most fair I believe yes?”

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Early Afternoon

This mask? Morgus pointed to his mask. This mask...was worn by the ancient thief, Millon Jaar. He was said to have robbed a small warring country of its entire treasury and proceeding to buy out its enemy, then robbing both of the countries blind. Child's tales, anyways. Morgus wasn't sure of the veracity himself. Anyways, this mask tends to stay on its owner, and what not. Nothing fancy.

25th Day of Amber's Fall
    The Fish, Morning

You are breif with words! Ha, Good! Morgus retreived from his robe a small notebook, cloth-bundled fingers flipping through yellowed and ancient pages to a page before showing it to Captain Waters. IT showed an ornate gauntlet, sketched in thin lines of ink with scitched in notes about something something magic.

To get the coordinates for the Esmerelda I need a ship, and that ship can be you. I seek only this artifact as well as whatever can easily fit in two pockets. My services will also be at your disposal for the duration of the voyage, and I can and will provide protection from hail and lightning, two things I'm sure that can otherwise be problematic. Well?
    Last edited by Hydranova; 2012-06-21 at 02:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, you. Start talking.

...about what?

Don't pull that on me. I know you had something to do with what happened earlier.

...what happened earlier?

Don't screw with me! Did you do something to Myst? his face was visibly contorting in anger.

...why would I do anything to that girl? And why are you angry at me?

Because you're not saying anything! It's annoying not to know anything. And Myst is my friend! If you did anything bad to her, I swear I'll...

Do what? Throw me away? Sure, go ahead. It's not going to be the first time. Or what, destroy me? Good luck with that. Her voice was emotionless.

...Just say something, dammit!

Relax, nuthead. I did not do anything to her, okay? And she is fine. There. Happy?

Really? You swear on your mother's life?

...what are you, a kid?

Just say it!

Fine, fine. I swear. But stop asking me questions. If you want to know so badly, ask you dear darling friend

...And do I look like I have a mother? Idiot.

A bit later

Clive took a generous bite off the chocolate croissant and spoke.

"Mmmm! Thush urrmm brr bushh crshhns mm brr wurbb!" he exclaimed with his mouth full before choking for not chewing properly. Grabbing his glass, he downed his rum in one go and burped, before laughing.

"I missed these. The best croissants in the world!" he said with a grin. "Anyway, you don't have to worry 'bout me, darling. I'm just happy you made time now. And besides, as I told you earlier, I'll be here a while, so we'd have lots of time to catch up!" he replied, before taking another bite of the scrumptious treat.

"Ha! You were pretty popular back then, too you know, you're too humble! Though back then, you were much more prone to...'accidents'," the last word he said with a wink, then laughed.

"2,000 stories, eh? That's a lot! Wow, you sure are doing good. Very good, if I may say so myself. You know what? Part of why I visited here was to read up some of the stories here, so that's good for me too. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe the next day. Dunno."

He took another bite again and finished the last piece of the croissant as he listened on to the proprietress talk about gunsmithing. "But of course! Only if you pay me though. Let's see...a kiss would be fair enough, I think." He paused, looking at Non for a few seconds, letting his words sink in, before laughing.

"I'm kidding! But I am excited to see your progress. And you are in luck. After I passed by here four years ago, I went back to my hometown and met with my master and learned lots of new stuff! So yeah, prepare for my strict teaching course, my young apprentice. Ha ha ha!"

The mood suddenly changed when Non talked about Myst. Clive did not know anything about the actual cause, but he did know Peacemaker had something to do with it. But if she did not like to talk - and so did Myst apparently - about it, then he would just have to wait. Or find some other way.

"It's okay. She needs her rest, and you need yours as well. Thanks for the company even with such a busy schedule," he put his hand over hers, gave it a small squeeze, and smiled weakly.

"Cheer up, eh? Frowning doesn't suit you. If you keep doing that, Myst would take up your spot as my number one darling," he grinned, trying to stifle a laugh.

"Ahh? That weirdo? Well, ya know, he's still being all weird. We did work together still but not as much as before. He contacts me, and I don't have any clue how to contact him, so I can't really say when he'd just pop up and drag me along. But hey, can't say no. It's about the most stable source of income I have, though the most probable cause of my early demise as well," he replied to her question then burst into another laugh.

"Plus I stayed quite a while back in my hometown, where I told you earlier, I met my master again, and of course, my old folks. Told them a lot of stories about you and this inn. Now they're dying to see you both, Myst and you. But that's a story for another time."

Running out of things to say and not wanting to keep Non any longer, he finished the conversation. "Okay, you should go do whatever you need to do now. Just give me one last glass of rum and I'd be heading upstairs and call it a night."

He searched his pockets for something. "Oh, have you given me my keys already?"

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Dirty Hangman
    24th of Amber's Fall, Late Afternoon

He looked up at the man who responded to his call for the ship's captain. He certainly looked the part. At least, the stereotypical description of a hardened man of the sea. But what remains to be seen is his ability to commandeer his ship, if he could certainly could push his little vessel up to speeds.

"A proposition. A lucrative one for you and your crew, I am sure. Soooo, may I be invited on board to discuss?"
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2012-06-22 at 04:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly, Captain's Cabin

"Indeed, I had almost forgotten the blessings of long life upon your kin! I should not make such a mistake in the future. Now, of your proposal?"

After hearing said proposal, the good captain proceeded raise an eyebrow at the vague suggestion. This sounded good. Maybe just a little TOO good.

"Well, this is an interesting turn of events, and I'm eager to be at sea once more. Do you have any details? I'd hate to do this and find out that I'm assaulting a ship full of Driftfolk Women and Children, after all. Out of curiosity, do you know the name of the ship's captain as well? Tirac has enough bounties out on the heads of more notable pirates that one can usually make a tidy profit if they're identifiable."

15. - Top - End - #135

24th of Amber's Fall

Veldin seemed irked to have Lorindal following behind him, purposefully dragging his feet as much as he could without losing sight of the Ambassador. When they entered the Captain’s cabin, he did not take the seat offered but did tap two fingers to his forehead in casual greeting to the human.

He folded his arms across his chest and lingered at the back, leaning against the door frame. He could sense the Captain’s hesitance in response to Vasae’s over-generous offer on the treasure. Not only did he know how to haggle, he was not in the least bit generous, himself. He stepped up to the plate to insert a quick, gruff-

Fifty-fifty’s not possible, sir.

…before leaning back again to let the Ambassador field the next questions.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall

Lorindal couldn't help a quiet chuckle noting how Veldin dragged his feet, and eventually spared him by moving up to walk alongside him, flashing the Gin a smile as though he were doing him some sort of favor. He offered the human a slight inclination of his head in polite though silent greeting, and unlike Veldin took a seat beside the Ambassador. His entire manner was overly casual, as though he didn't necessarily consider himself responsible for any of this, more a privileged bystander.

"Hmm... I see Mr. Tanner might prove himself a valued adviser as well as guardian..." the pale elf mused in response to Veldin's interjection, flashing a grin of white teeth between the Captain and Ambassador though refraining from offering his own opinion on the matter.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

25th Day of Amber's Fall
    The Fish, Morning

Captain Waters glared suspiciously at Morgus. "On a normal day a masked man claims to be a sorcerer on my ship would be thrown overboard as fast as a man can fasten his bootstraps. But if you say you can get the coordinates of the Esmerelda... Perhaps we can come to an arrangement. It all depends on what you have in mind."

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Dirty Hangman

The captain swung himself over the side of his ship and landed firmly on the dock.

"Top deck's crowded enough without adding to it. Name's Josef Keeler. Captain Keeler now I 'suppose. Now what's this about a proposition?"
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post

"I had hoped to borrow the use of your library, but I hear that's currently unavailable. Of course now I'm much more interested in what all the fuss is about."

Jonathan gazed appreciatively at the furnishings, wondering privately just how the marquis was able to acquire it all. It couldn't be his budget, not stranded out here on a rock where nobility barely meant anything.
    Passing north into the statue gallery, the Marquis sighed, "The current fuss? Oh, just entertaining the Duke of Dalshire, Lady Navarre, Lord Captain Blake and the son of the Latian Doge. Oh, Charmed dropped in as well."

He ticked off the guests on his fingers and nodded to himself, confident that he still had enough room at the table.

The kitchen, specifically the plating and preparation area, (upstairs from the heat of the kitchen) was just past a short hallway, west of the statuary. Lucien's eyes narrowed as opened the door, spying the chef slouched against the cabinets, napping fitfully with a nearly spent bottle of wine in a death-grip.

"Marcel!" Lucien shouted, "Reveille-toi! Buveur! Allons-y!"

Even a sharp kick to the thigh only just managed to stir the drunkard. He clutched at this bottle and drew it towards his chest like a teddy bear. Lucien gave the man another light kick out of spite and stormed out of the kitchen without bidding Jon to follow. Returning to the foyer he shouted for the castle steward, only to discover him descending the stairs and clutching his ears. He pulled the old man with his bushy white sideburns aside and instructed him, "Marcel is drunk again. Ride to town and fetch Non. Pay her whatever it takes! We need dinner for thirty, whatever goes with boar. That's the only thing we do have. She can use my kitchen and stores if she likes, just get her here!"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall

Vasae begins to speak before he’s silenced by the other gruff Gin, frowning a little. “It’s not?” he asks, quite honestly surprised. “It seemed fair to me. What would you suggest? As for your question...the Ship is known as the Esmerelda.”

20. - Top - End - #140

24th of Amber's Fall

Veldin heaved a great, put-upon sigh but caught himself mid-way through an eye-roll and paused to regard Vasae more closely. He seemed to be trying to decide whether the Ambassador was serious or not.

"Y' ask him what he thinks is reasonable, and then you offer less," Veldin said with surprising patience. "You represent the Elven people. To give half the score away to the foreign hired help is...." He trailed off with a shake of his head and then, a bit more slyly, added- "Of course, a fifty-fifty split between th' fine gentleman here and us... is much more reasonable." The way he looked between the other two Elves present left no doubt as to what he meant.

And then, as quickly as it had come, all the intensity was lost and he leaned back against the door frame with a day-dreaming expression as if he'd never started paying attention in the first place.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Jonathan halted if only for a moment at the mention of Captain Blake. Well if the fates were determined for the two of them to cross paths again here was a much better place than the inn. His face brightened at the mention of the last guest.

"Rayle's here? That's wonderful it's been far too long."

Upon entering the kitchens Jonathan quickly made way for the enraged Lucien. After the man left Jonathan moved over to the chef and rolled him onto his back; preparing to vent the alcohol from his system. But before he began to work his magic he stopped. Healing was not on the list of abilities Lucien knew he possessed, and he wasn't so sure he wanted him to know. Instead he allowed a spark to fly forcing the chef to relinquish the grip on the bottle and set it on the counter.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Kobold

24th of Amber’s Fall
    Wayfarer’s Point, Plunderer’s Folly

In the week since the ship had docked, Tillik left it but the once - for the relatively short jaunt required to escort the elven Ambassador to his new posting (hive within a hive? No…a dwelling space…but it is so large...and this is not his hive). The warning of the strange human (Most Honorable Judge…what caste would that make him…) had left him concerned for the safety of the hunt-master’s floating hive and it’s occupants (hunt-mates? No…not all are blade-masters). And so he had remained ensconced in the high crow’s nest, where he could easily observe the comings and goings of those below, descending now and again to gather food and water from the ship’s stores before returning to his post. Much of what he saw was still confusing and alien to him, but as of yet, no threat that he could detect had materialized.

The return of the ambassador Vasae on the eighth day of his vigil was the most interesting event since their arrival; Tillik had hoped to continue their conversations, but the hunt-master had seemed so busy seeing to the needs of his floating hive that Tillik had not wished to disturb him with a personal request. Duty must come first, it was the Way. When the ambassador’s hail draws the Captain forth from his den, Tillik begins a careful descent through the rigging; his previous fast drop had earned him a tongue lashing from the ship’s first-mate - something about his toe claws leaving gouges in the deck.

By the time Tillik reached the deck, the hunt-master as well as the ambassador and his two (…hunt-mates?) fellow elves had gone into the Captain’s cabin. Not wanting to interrupt, Tillik takes up a position near the door to await the conclusion of their discussion.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    25th Day of Amber's Fall
    The Fish, Morning

Captain Waters glared suspiciously at Morgus. "On a normal day a masked man claims to be a sorcerer on my ship would be thrown overboard as fast as a man can fasten his bootstraps. But if you say you can get the coordinates of the Esmerelda... Perhaps we can come to an arrangement. It all depends on what you have in mind."

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Dirty Hangman

The captain swung himself over the side of his ship and landed firmly on the dock.

"Top deck's crowded enough without adding to it. Name's Josef Keeler. Captain Keeler now I 'suppose. Now what's this about a proposition?"
    OF course. We can discuss it later once we get the coordinates. Though I'm sure I can offer an extra "guarantee" that we'll arrive there. Well? To the Barnacle? Morgus extended a hand towards the ramp, being in a polite mood.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Dirty Hangman

He only understood the captain's action when the latter was already in the air on his way down, but he reacted fast enough to sidestep and give the man room to land.

"Ha ha ha! I like you already!" he said as he moved in to put his arm over the captain's shoulder, then spoke in a lower voice.

"Now, I know you've heard of the rumor going around about a certain ship, yeah? Well, this is about that. My buddy has taken interest of a certain item aboard the ship, but alas, we do not have our own ship. I heard you're the fastest ship around, so I came to find you."

He paused a bit to make sure he has the captain's attention, then continued. "So if you are interested, it's going to be like this: We will look for a way to find the ship's location, you get us there before any other. We get a certain something there, and maybe a few handful we fancy that could fit our pockets, you get all the rest of her shinies you can haul. Simple as that."

He looked at the captain in the eye and repeated the conditions. "No cuts, no shares. We take a few things we want, you get all the rest. Ain't no easier payday for you, yeah? Oh, and I forgot to add. I'm quite a good shot... he patted and pressed his cloak near his hip to reveal the outline of a shape that is unmistakably a pistol, "...my buddy's far better, so you don't even have to worry 'bout fights, if it ever came to that."

"So, what say you, my good man, captain, sir?" he said with a wide grin.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

17th day of Amber's Fall
    Vasae, Non

Spoiler
    Show
    The answer, she replied, was the letter E for it is the beginning of the End, it ends timE and spacE and without it crEation would not be.
    Non frowned. It couldn't be understood, but probably it was a joke became [lost in translation].

But the story continued, and Non sighed contently to hear such a story.
    "It sounds wonderful! A castle of pearl would be beautiful to find. But what is inside? I am curious! I would like to go find it too." She said, her eyes with a sparkle.

She replaced the tea of Vasae gracefully.

"Thank you for sharing such a story with me. I would love to hear more stories about your people. I used to be an adventurer before I started this shop. It is busy and comfortable, but I still love to hear adventure stories, and learn more."

"A castle of pearl? It sounds like a dream I had." Myst said, to have returned and waited politely with food for Vasae.
    Non looked surprised at Myst.

"A dream about a castle of pearl? Have you seen such a thing, Myst? What was inside?" Non asked. Myst looked embarrassed, to look at Vasae and Non again. Non regretted to ask such a careless thing to Myst. Was it something from Myst's past? Non wasn't sure. But she shouldn't have asked now.

Why did I say that? He looks trustworthy... but I shouldn't say careless things because of his appearance.

"I don't remember. But if Non and Ambassador will go to find a castle of pearl, please bring me too." Myst said with a smile, to give food for Vasae.

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Early Afternoon
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show
    Non's face became a pout expression.
    "Can't you tell me more than that? If that is an artifact about Millon Jaar, then surely it must be very valuable! How did you find it?" Non's face became a cat expression with interest.
    "Maybe you are the ancient thief Millon Jaar! Perhaps you are an elf, or an artifact spirit! Now I have so many more questions.. But I can't make you tell me." Non made a big sigh.

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Non continued a content smile. "We weren't so popular. But thank you for the compliment. Myst has improved of this job. I have improved too. But there is always more to learn!" She shrugged.

"Of course you are welcome to use the collections! If you need help, please ask. It has become so big, maybe Bukiya should become a library. What kind of stories are you searching for?"

To hear compliment and comments about gunsmith and apprentice, Non answered with a wry smile. "Please take care of me."

For Clive to squeeze her hand, Non looked down, and then to look at his eyes with a big, content smile. "Thank you. I will tell Myst she should smile for you more. But your kind words and jokes are nostalgic. Four years? How much things have changed! I had just finished adventuring, and to have started the Bukiya for a few months when you came. And now, I am an innkeeper, librarian, and blacksmith! But I miss adventuring sometimes. Especially when the seagulls come to sit." She said wistfully.

Listening to the story about Rhadamanthus, Non nodded. "You always have interesting adventure stories with him! Someday you should bring him to Bukiya! And you should bring your parents too! It would be nice to meet them. I would be happy to let them stay for free, you have told me so many good stories and helped me learn gunsmithing."

But Non needed to leave soon, and so she stood with a smile, and brought another glass of rum for Clive. She put the key to the room on the table next to the glass.

"Thanks for the good conversation. I am happy you are back Clive. Good night!" She said. Then to turn gracefully, and to disappear into the kitchen.

[In the Kitchen
    Non & Mystletinn]

(ooc: after Clive - GuyFawkes. To prepare for Nefarion_Xid messenger and artifact spirit plot. )

Spoiler
    Show

Non sighed, to see Myst very carefully and slowly washing dishes.
    "It's ok Myst, they both are gone." Myst seemed to relax a little, but with a guilty face.

"Sorry." She said. Non stand by Myst and to help dry dishes.
    "It's ok. But I need to know what happened. Was it...Resonance?" Non asked with whisper. Myst nodded.
    "One of my sisters. Clive has a Compass Rose Sword." Myst hesitated. "I think. I don't remember. I know it should be known by me. But after we made a pledge bond it became confused. It felt nostalgic, but different too. It wasn't quite right. But Clive hasn't made a pledge bond." Myst looked troubled by this.
    "You know?" Non asked.
    "Yes." She showed the tattoo seal on her hand.
    I know you have your pledge seal on your back. Mine is on my hand. But I didn't see one on Clive. And the Resonance was very strange." Non made a careful smile.

"But Clive could have such a seal. You just couldn't see it." She said. Myst looked thoughtful.
    "Yes. It is possible." She agreed.
    "If you ask him, I am sure he will show you his body." Non said with a fox-like expression. Myst looked flustered and annoyed.
    "No! Non! What-" Non became a smug smile.
    "Tomorrow you should offer to wash his back for him. It is a good time to investigate!" She suggested with a laugh. Myst splashed water at Non for such a comment.
    "N-Non! Be serious! I will not do such an embarrassing thing!" Myst's protests and Non's laughter continued for a little time.

Peace returned.

"I think we should talk to him soon." Non said. "If it's true, then maybe it is time."
    Myst looked at Non.
    "What is it time for?"
    "I don't know. Please call it [adventurer's intuition]."
    "The last time you said such a thing, we had to run from a giant rock." Was doubtful reply of Myst.

Non splashed water at Myst.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

17th day of Amber's Fall
    Vasae, Non

Vasae smiles, nodding a little at the young lady. “I think it would be pretty...perhaps if our fleet finds the castle they will let me know and I can take you there? You are quite welcome Miss Non, I can share more if I’m allowed to return to your shop?” he laughs though glances up when the waitress returns with a perked brow. “A dream?” he asks as he tilts his head a little at the other young woman though takes the food when it’s offered. “Of course my dear...but the waves are very dangerous! The ship I took to get here was devastated by attacks! I would hate to see either of you harmed.” Perhaps the young woman was a Mage...it was hard to tell in this culture but dreaming of a fantastic location such as a pearl castle isn't exactly strange for a dream. Though perhaps there was more to it. He'd have to return and speak to the young waitress without Non around to run interference.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

25th Day of Amber's Fall
    The Fish, Morning

"This better at least serve as entertainment mage." The Captain said reluctantly. But he did walk down the plank and follow Morgus towards the shattered wreck of the Fanged Barnacle.

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Dirty Hangman

"Sounds like a better deal than any man would accept without arousing suspicion. But if you can find me the route to the Esmerelda I'll gladly take you along for the ride."

20th day of Amber's Fall
    Evening; Bukiya Inn

"Alright Myst I'm all yours. However it is probably best if this particular story is not telegraphed to the entire world. What say you and I grab some dessert and a tea kettle to head upstairs with?" Jonathan smiles warmly. "And don't worry about waiting for the kettle to boil. I can manage that myself."
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-06-22 at 08:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Amber's Fall 21st, Evening

The grand foyer was the size of some churches in the old world. Vaulted ceilings soared forty feet in the air. Six columns marked the expanse on each side. Each had been carved with a diamond pattern with a fleur-de-lis ensconced in every other niche. The final two beneath the balcony depicted two life sized women in mirror image, each holding a rose to her heart with the other hand reaching up and behind to wrap demurely around the column. Both gave a flirtatious look to whomever was descending the stairs on their side. The twin staircases were slightly recessed, each four short flights set at a forty five degree angle with a brief landing. Towards the door there was a balcony walkway, though it looked to be inaccessible from the ground here. Three silver chandeliers normally provided enough light for the hall, but several tall candled stands now flanked each column to ensure every inch of the room was properly illuminated.

Guard Captain Janvier and his men received the Latian party in the castle foyer. He bowed the calculated depth to show his curtsey to the young lord and his retinue. "My lords, may I take your weapons?" Janvier intoned softly, though if it were a question. Lucien wasn't so paranoid as to confiscate all weapons normally, it was only Floran decorum. Dinner was a civil affair and if you wanted to kill someone, you damned well asked them outside first. Florans did love to duel, even at noble affairs, but they were also famous for fighting so politely that one cut to the arm or shoulder would settle everything. After the loser had yielded and apologized for his offense, he'd be bandaged up and the evening would resume as if nothing had happened.

Janvier himself was unarmed, but his two men carried light sabres and pistols. All three wore the light wool coats in Floran azure with tall black collars and broad cuffs. A black roc was embroidered on their left breast. The two guards had brass chevrons each on their collars and Janvier a silver bar -- not just common house guards, proper Floran soldiers. The silver horse in profile on his right breast meant he'd served as a chevalier, knighted by his lord. Likely, he'd never seen war; Floran hadn't warred with Tirac in decades. Judging by his face, Captain Janvier's father had been too young to serve in the last campaign. He had clear blue eyes and a trim blond beard that ran along his jawline.

"'Tis a magnificent blade. Oh, worry not, my lord," said Janvier, smiling at Renato, "Lord Cielcoeur is entrusted with relics thousands of years old and far more fragile than that blade. It will come to no harm, and neither will you or your men while you're in his house. Besides, Floran ladies faint at the sight of a blade!"

Lyrical laughter came from the balcony walk. "I'm trembling! Good captain, Floran ladies birth Floran knights who wield Floran steel. I'll wager I can learn to wield a blade before you can learn to give birth."

Janvier made a shallow bow towards the stairs, "If the lady's steel is as sharp as her tongue, we'll dine in Tir by spring. My Lord Benso, may I introduce the Ladies Odette and Elise of the House Montagne. Lady Sylvie of the House Boisseau. And there is Lady Coraline of the House Bellefeuille."

Odette was the first, tall and slender with fair hair and sharp features. She wore a crimson dress over a white, lacy chemise and draped a burgundy and gold shawl over her arms. Her cousin, a scant year her junior, had a darker complexion, more Floran. Sylvie was, as the Florans say, "inclined to embonpoint". She wore sable to compliment her olive skin and coffee colored hair. Little Elise looked to be thirteen and took after the elder sister. Coraline was wearing a long dress in a deep turquoise, with a laced and beaded bodice and three-quarter sleeves; the skirt was several layers of sheer material which moved at the slightest shiver of a breeze. Her hair was down, waved slightly around her face, and aside from the barest hint of lipcolor she wore no makeup at all. While the Montange sisters were all beautiful, Coraline was truly enchanting.

Previously, in the Ball Room
    Lucien, Rayle and Arabella

"My hidden passages?" he squeaked at Rayle's request. Panic flashed in his eyes, or else wounded pride. The castle's secrets were a matter of small vainglory for the Marquis. Useful as they were, he was still filled with child-like glee at the prospect of vanishing behind a bookshelf.

"Fine! Just the ones on the first floor though! You'll be able to surveil our guests if they retreat to the parlor or the antechamber or... well, best to just show you..."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-06-23 at 06:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt, the Ballroom

"Secret... so Rayle hasn't finally gone mad? That's always good to hear..."
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

30. - Top - End - #150
    Bugbear in the Playground

Amber's Fall 21st, Evening

Renato was wary of giving up his blade. He knew it was custom but he had a desire to keep himself well armed and defended. Blast! He knew he should have followed his father's example, the man always carried around a sword-cane with him. No one would ask a man to remove themselves from their walking stick. Still he was a guest here and while it was a right of his blood and position to keep his blade he did not want to insult Lucien. And, of course he knew that Amedeo and at least the military men all had daggers hidden in their boots should they be needed.

Just as he began to unbuckle his weapons belt, a feminine voice called out prompting Renato and the rest of his party to look up. Oh my! Such visions of beauty. And, here Renato thought this party would be a dull affair. Renato drops into a low bow, taking the hat from his head and sweeping it our wide. "It is a pleasure to meet such lovely ladies. I have always heard that Floran women were amongst the most gorgeous in the world but I could never imagine it being so true."

Coming back up he replaces the cap atop his head and begins removing his weapons belt again. He places the blade length wise in the captain's hands as each of his men do the same for their blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.