New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Playground 4: SAN Overboard!

Wayfarer's Point, Bukiya Inn
    21st of Amber's Fall, Midnight

The first thing Clive did after he locked his door was drop his bag on the floor and plop down on the bed face first. He was exhausted. That day had been exhausting; rowing for well over a league to get to Wayfarer's Point was no ordinary feat. Seeing Non and Myst had alleviated some of the fatigue - it was truly remarkable how women could affect him like that - but the sight of the cozy and fluffy-looking bed returned all of it all at once.

He was ready to doze off just like that, but then a frown registered on his face. He rolled over to his back weakly, opened his eyes, and stared at the ceiling for a few minutes.

After he could muster enough will, he sat upright lazily. He removed the leather envelope inside his shirt, unraveled it, and took out the documents inside. Just as the Dispatch earlier had said, they were dossiers of the updated watch list for individuals or organizations who were suspected of possibly possessing Forbidden Arms, ranging from top priority, those with considerable proof and witnesses, to least priority, those whose involvement in the list is based on hearsay and rumors.

It took a few minutes for him to go over the whole list. It was a long list, but only a small part were new, and most of them were on the least priority list, so he didn't bother to read everything on them, just their names.

After he was done reading and rereading the list and the dossiers, he stood up and looked for something. Spotting the metal tray on the table, he went and took the dossiers and one pistol. Holding the pages over the tray, he raised the pistol and aimed it at the bottom part of one page, and pulled the trigger. From the barrel issued a little flame that started to burn the pieces of paper slowly until all of them were consumed and turned to ashes.

After disposing of the ashes, he took off his cloak and his his pistol belts, dropped them in a pile beside the bed and finally went to sleep.

22nd of Amber's Fall, Late Morning

Clive awoke in a good mood the next day. He felt well-rested. Bukiya's cozy rooms and excellent food had that effect on him, even back then, and he considered it his second home.After fixing himself a bit, he went down for breakfast.

"Darling, what's for breakfast?" he called out as he saw Non with an energetic smile.

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Dirty Hangman
    24th of Amber's Fall, Late Afternoon

"Hey, you gotta take risks in this kind of business, ya know that! And good, good! I shall find you later, with the ticket to our easy meal," he said with a wink, then let go of the man. He gave the captain a last pat tot the shoulder before leaving without looking back, disappearing into the docks traffic.

Going back to the Barnacle, he looked for some place to sit and watch. He did not bother to join the line. He had no patience for queues. In fact he hated them, but he didn't know why. The thought of standing in line for minutes, waiting for your turn was just appalling to him. So he sat and watched.

Clive had a particularly keen eye, both a natural talent and honed by his years of experience. And he had the matching wits enough to know what to look for. Thus, after a few minutes of observing the ship, he could distinguish which ones were the crew and which ones were not. But he could not yet identify the persons listed down in the earlier document.

No other choice. I have to join the stupid line...

"But not today..."
    he muttered as he stood up and walked away aimlessly.

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Fanged Barnacle
    25th of Amber's Fall, Morning

"Captain's out." spoke the woman. "And if you're here searching for clues to the Esmerelda you can damn well get in line. And no cutting; excepting the circumstance that you have a ship that can take us back out there."

He overheard the voice of a lady, which immediately captured his attention. As he looked over to the direction of the conversation, he saw a masked man talking with a woman.

What?! I could have talked to them directly if I had a ship?! Then what the hell was I doing in this stupid line for hours?!! Clive was struggling to hold back his irritation at the realization. He had awoken early that morning in the hopes of avoiding the queue, but much to his dismay, it was still as long the way he saw the day before.

Man, I think they've been here since yesterday, he had remarked as he reluctantly made his way to the back of the line.

He looked at the masked man as he walked down the ship after apparently having not met the prerequisite needed for immediate attention. Strange fellow, he thought to himself. Must be another treasure seeker. Neat mask though. Have you seen it somewhere?

...maybe.

...maybe. he simultaneously spoke as Peacemaker did. He was so used to how she replied he could almost predict how she would reply to certain questions. Almost.

As soon as he lost sight of the masked man, he looked back at the other interesting individual. A female crew. From the way she spoke she should be of high rank among them. Maybe she could be Tomin White?

...and don't bother replying. I was talking to myself.

A quick word with some of the people in line confirmed the lady sailor's identity. A smile crept up his face. He had heard of the Barnacle's crew looking for contracts for themselves, apart from the captain, in hopes of having the loot all for themselves. He had to hope she was one of them.

He was about to approach and talk to her when she left.

Damn, missed my chance. Oh, well, I've waited this long. And besides, it's different when waiting for a lady.

His mood was a little cheerful now.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Kessia smiled, accepting the blue wine from Non with a nod of thanks, and taking a sip to check the flavor, an act shortly followed by a widening of her smile, and another appreciative nod.

"A fine vintage. Your taste is commendable. As for your skills," she went on, plainly speaking to Hassar again. "I apologize for any offense you might take, but I'll need a demonstration before I agree to anything, though if you're telling the truth, you've got a berth. If you come to the Firebrand this afternoon, I should be able to have something interesting arranged by then?"
    Hassar's shark grin widened, clearly pleased. His grin did not waver, but he did tack on an addition to his comments "I must ask if my stellar marksmanship is the only standard by which I'll be judged. I hope I don' come across as dishonest if I admit that, practice aside, I haven' exactly been usin' my carbines for years. Can be a might hard to get practice with gunpowder under the water, if ye know what I mean."
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Early Afternoon
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show
    Non's face became a pout expression.
    "Can't you tell me more than that? If that is an artifact about Millon Jaar, then surely it must be very valuable! How did you find it?" Non's face became a cat expression with interest.
    "Maybe you are the ancient thief Millon Jaar! Perhaps you are an elf, or an artifact spirit! Now I have so many more questions.. But I can't make you tell me." Non made a big sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    25th Day of Amber's Fall
    The Fish, Morning

"This better at least serve as entertainment mage." The Captain said reluctantly. But he did walk down the plank and follow Morgus towards the shattered wreck of the Fanged Barnacle.

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Dirty Hangman
    24th of Amber's Fall, Late Afternoon

"Sounds like a better deal than any man would accept without arousing suspicion. But if you can find me the route to the Esmerelda I'll gladly take you along for the ride."

20th day of Amber's Fall
    Evening; Bukiya Inn

"Alright Myst I'm all yours. However it is probably best if this particular story is not telegraphed to the entire world. What say you and I grab some dessert and a tea kettle to head upstairs with?" Jonathan smiles warmly. "And don't worry about waiting for the kettle to boil. I can manage that myself."
    21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn-EArly Afternoon

Hmm. Millon was only rumored to have existed anyways, and as such this mask was only supposed to have belonged to him at some point. OR at least one of the other Thieves.

But, an artifact spirit....? Morgus asked. Pray tell, what are you talking about?

25th Day of Amber's Fall
    The Barnacle- High Noon

High noon. A good as time as any for ominous foreboding warnings, fate-sealing deals, or plot changing revelations, Morgus, with captain in tow, strode to the front of the queue again. Let's try this again.

I have returned, with Captain Waters of the Laughing Fish. May I see your captain now, or shall I have to schedule an appointment and leave him a fruit basket with a well-thought out card thanking him for his considerations? He snapped his fingers. Oh that's right, this isn't the court of the King of Floran. So I guess the answer is yes?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

17th day of Amber's Fall
    08:00; Bukiya Inn
    Vasae, Non

Spoiler
    Show
    "If you learn, please take me!" Non agreed. She smiled warmly. "Of course you are always welcome at Bukiya Inn! I would love to hear more stories."

Myst nodded and left to help other customers. Non also stood up.

"If you need anything, please call freely." Non said with a content smile.

20th day of Amber's Fall
    Evening; Bukiya Inn
    Jonathan - Xondoure

Spoiler
    Show

Myst watched Non go, and then turned to Jonathan.
    "Just a minute." She said, and went to the kitchen. She returned with a chocolate croissant and tea kettle for Jonathan, and also paper and pen.

"Let's go." Myst said, to lead to the stairs and to Jonathan's room.

Inside the room, the plate and tea kettle was arranged and Myst carefully sat down and prepared paper and pen. She wasn't sure why she was still feeling very good. Maybe it was the warm smile of Jonathan? Myst didn't know. It wasn't like the feeling of Clive, or Non.

But she wasn't worried. Actually maybe that was the feeling. She wasn't worried about things. It was like to wake up for a fresh morning. That kind of feeling.

Maybe it would be nice to just watch the sunset. Was the thought of Myst. The sky would be beautiful. But, she wanted to learn about Jonathan and his magic. That was exciting. It would be fun. Myst had a big smile. It was unusual to see such a happy Myst.
    "Let's start, Jonathan. Ah. How are you?" She asked with a happy smile.

"I want to learn about magic. Ah, well. It should be said, I have learned some things about magic. But your magic seems very interesting! What happened? When you came here, you looked dead. But you knocked with magic, right? I heard something like that. Maybe it was a dream.

But you used magic to heal, Non told me! Anyway. What happened?"

For Jonathan too, to hear such happy speech of Myth was the first time.

Castle Greycourt: Kitchen
    21st of Amber's Fall, Evening
    Non

Spoiler
    Show

Non had hurried quickly. The castle steward of Lucien had come to ask her to come to the Castle. And prepare a dinner for thirty guests with boar. On such a short notice, Non had been surprised. A dark mood Mystletinn was no help to suggest that they don't go. But the castle steward was desperate. They were offering a lot of money. Enough money that Bukiya Inn could afford some [renovations] and some new clothes for a certain sword and inn master. It would be enough money that Non hadn't seen so much since artifacts were sold of her adventures before. That was 4 years ago, and she had used it to make Bukiya.

So Non told Myst to watch the inn, and she came alone. Non didn't have any noble clothes, but she did change to a new skirt and dress-ful white shirt. To wrap a blue and green sash (for Bukiya colors), and went with the castle steward.

How was she going to prepare food for thirty people? She let a content smile hide any nervous feeling. This would be a fun challenge.

"Okay, my friendly cooks! Listen to me! We are going to make the food with organization and good cheer!" Non said, to make a speech to the staff helping.
    She pointed at three. "You will start the boar. Prepare the sauce also. Call me when it is ready, or if you need help!" She points to two cooks. "Prepare and cut the fruits and vegetables. You, please prepare the salad with them. Everyone not mentioned, we will prepare the bread and soup and other dishes! Are you ready?" Non asked with a confident smile. The cooks looked motivated. She raised her hand.
    Go!"

22st of Amber's Fall, Morning
    Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    When Clive came downstairs, Non can be seen sitting at a table reading a letter and drinking tea.

"Good morning Clive." Non said with a warm smile. She looked tired, but still a content smile. "Myst is making breakfast today. What would you like to eat? I'm sure she is happy to make anything, as long as it is not boar."

She laughed a little. Then to speak earnestly. "I will work in the weapon shop later today. If you aren't busy, could you come?"

The kitchen door opened, and Myst carries a tray with some breakfast for Non. It is fried eggs and sausage and soup and rice. When Myst sees Clive, she hesitates with an embarrassed look, and then comes shyly. Non watches with a lazy cat expression.

"Thank you Myst! It looks delicious." Non said.
    "Good morning Clive." Myst said. "Do you want breakfast? Of course you want breakfast... I-I mean, what would you like for breakfast?" Myst asked.

"You shouldn't be shy Myst! Ask Clive your question." Non said with a cat expression. This made Myst's face become red, and she looks flustered at Non. Non hides a smile to drink her tea.

"If you wouldn't mind." Myst asked. "Do you have a seal on your body somewhere? To be a tattoo, kind of like this." She showed her right hand.

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show
    Non made a mysterious smile. "Of course Millon was only rumored... But there can be truth in many stories! That is why I like to collect them. Sometimes if you add stories, it is like a puzzle. Millon has many stories, he is a legend! If that mask is his, then it must be connected with the legend! That is why I am interested too. And...well, it is hard to know about you. I can't see your face. So maybe you are an elf." Non stops.

"Artifact spirit. The race of objects and artifacts that can become like people? Or maybe it is a race of people who become like objects. They are very rare, but I thought maybe you might be one, if you are Millon. Artifact spirits are immortal, I think." Non said.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-06-23 at 08:48 PM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

22nd of Amber's Fall, Morning

"You look tired. Didn't you sleep last night? Man, you must really be popular. Too popular, if you put it in one way. I mean, haven't you considered hiring some help?" he said with concern.

"A boar? Why, what's up with boars? And really, she okay now? She'll talk to me now?" he replied. "And of course! I haven't planned anything to do today so I could help out there. I'm dying to see how good you've got with gunsmithing."

The letter in Non's hands had caught Clive's attention since he saw her, and he was a bit curious.

"A letter? Who's that from?" Clive then faked a surprised gasp. "Is that from your lover?!"

He supported himself with the nearby chair, looking hurt, and spoke in mock sobbing. "Looks like I've been gone too long. Somebody has taken my Non's heart away! Ohh, cruel fate!! Why??! Wh--"

His little show ended as soon as Myst entered the room, bringing in Non's food. He felt embarrassed, getting seen in the middle of that shenanigan by Myst when there was still this awkwardness between them.

"Ahh, h-hello Myst. Yeah, I'll have what Non's having please. Looks delicious," he replied with a smile, still unsure whether he could pull his usual jokes around her. Had it been some other time he would have replied something along the lines of, "Ohh, your cooking actually looks edible now, Myst!" to even something like "Why, you of course!" if they were really in the right mood.

A puzzled look hung on his face when Non opened about Myst asking him a question, and when she actually did, it only served to add more to his confusion.

"A what? A tattoo? Well, no. The thought of getting one makes me feel queezy," he laughed weakly; he had spoken the truth. "But if that's your type, I'd do it for you, darling," he grinned.

Clive had realized what Myst was talking about while he talked. The tattoo on her hand was glowing last night during that incident, so it had to be something to do with that. But as for what it was, he still doesn't have much of a clue.

If Peacemaker were talking, things would have been easier. But she looked to be bent on keeping her mouth shut. If he wanted to find out, he'd have to do this through Myst. And possibly Non.

"I'm kidding. But jokes aside," his face was serious now. He pulled Myst closer to Non and continued in a low voice, "does this have to do with what happened last night?" he asked. "Look, I don't know what's going on, but I know it has something to do with me. Or more specifically what I have. And I'd appreciate it if I knew something about it. We're friends, aren't we?"

He looked the two in the eye for a few seconds with a firm stare, then softened down. "...I'm sorry. If it's too hard to talk about right now, it's fine. But just tell me this," He leaned in and lowered his voice even more. "...did what happen to you last night have something to do with my gun?" he spoke while looking at Myst and grabbing some object inside his shirt.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Amber's Fall 21st, Evening
    Castle Greycourt: Foyer

Sylvie and Elise both curtsied on the stairs at Renato's compliment. Odette descended the last steps musing, "And I've always heard that Latian men repeat that courtesy in every country."

Odette's smile was radiant; Sylvie hid hers, suddenly feigning interest in the column etchings.

"If you truly find our women so enchanting, my Lord Cousin has the power to knight you in Florin's service. You'll certainly have a Floran bride then. I believe Lucien has gotten off to the cellar, but I'll be happy to fetch him?"

"Sois sympa!" scolded Sylvie from behind her cousin's shoulder, "You'll scare him off. Not all of us are engaged."

Janvier did his best not to snicker aloud and instead hooked this thumbs into his belt.

7. - Top - End - #157

"Such endearing words from a stranger certainly make a good first impression..." Coralia's--alias Coraline's--eyes swept over the men in the foyer, beautiful and mildly unsettling. There was something rather...different, about her, when compared to the other three girls; after a moment, her lips curved into a slow, amused smile.

"You should not tease them so, Odette. What man would want to discuss the tiresome business of knighting and fealty, when there are beautiful women to speak to? Surely they would much rather nibble hors d'ouevres and discuss the art, the weather, the...scenery..."

The smile remained, and Coralia gestured to the ballroom. "Perhaps we should move out of the entryway? More guests may yet arrive."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Renato gives a light shrug and smile to Odette's comment. It was a good barb, he had to admit. But, he was not one to easily be defeated in a verbal sparring match. "Of course, my lady. But, that is rumor that is only spread in the areas where those people owe us money. And, we are owed much in the multitide of nations. Even the Orcs use our banks."

Giving another smile and a laugh Renato continues "While I would love another knightship as a Latian of the ruling house of our most serene republic I must stay strictly neutral in all international affairs."

"Of course." he says in answer to Coralia. "Ondiamo!"He switches back to Latian for the benefit of his men. "To the ballroom."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Non shook her head with a content smile. "I did. But I had a lot of work to do last night. About hiring some help, yes we do sometimes. Donovan, Margus and Minnie can help us if it is very busy. But even if Bukiya Inn became the most famous in the world, we only have so much rooms and tables. So, it is ok." She drank tea and then continued. "It was business I went to do another place." She explained. "So, it wasn't [Bukiya Inn] work, it was [private contract]." She explained with a mischievous look.

Of the letter, Non blinked with surprise, then shook her head with a smile at the behavior of Clive.

"No, it's from a customer. He's an adventurer and just published a new book with the guild." She folded the letter and put it in pocket. "I will have to send for a copy." She said with distraction as Myst came.

Myst looked off balance by the comment of Clive about tattoos. Her face became red, and she seemed to be trying to create a gesture to explain. "F-for me? I-I, well. . . That's not what I mean." Myst said.

And suddenly Clive pulled Myst close to Non and began to ask. Myst looked at Non with a guilty look, and Non sighed.

It probably isn't fair to make her try to say it. But here downstairs it isn't a good time too. Clive doesn't seem to know about pledge bond, so maybe Myst is wrong about a Compass Sword? We can talk later. Maybe I can ask more when he helps me at the shop. Non thought.

If he is here for sometime, of course we can do it later. But Clive was suspicious, so a plan was made.

"Sorry Clive. We do trust you, and we are friends." Non hesitated, and then smiled.

"It's because Myst likes Clive very much." She said. Myst looked more flustered than ever.

"N-Non?!" Was the reply of Myst. Non continued this speech.

"She's actually afraid you don't approve of her tattoo. But look!" Non said, to grab the hand of Myst and to pull it to hold out for Clive to take.

Her hand is warm and soft, but very steady, even though she looks nervous. The design can actually be seen easily for once.

(If Clive holds her hand, it glitters a little, but maybe it is just the candle-light).

It doesn't look like a normal tattoo. It looks very royal, but more like a seal a gunsmith or blacksmith would use to design a sword. With wing designs, somehow it is a cute and noble appearance, if a little childish. Maybe that describes the personality of a certain flustered and shy character.

Meanwhile Non stepped on the boot of Myst while Clive was busy. So Myst spoke.

"Um... Do you like it?" She asked.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Clive's eyebrows raised as the conversation turned to Myst liking him and her worrying about his approval of his tattoo. The whole twist took him unawares and he was standing there, wide-eyed and mouth agape, even as he held Myst's hand.

"Bwaha ha ha ha!" he laughed so hard he could barely hold himself upright but he still did not let go of the inn aide's hand. He had understood. It was fine. He received their answer. And it really amused him.

When his laughter had subsided, he raised Myst's hand and placed a gentle kiss upon the tattoo. "Of course. I love everything about my darling Myst," he said with a smile that gradually turned to a snicker, then finally laughter once more.

"Now if you don't have any more questions, I'd like my breakfast now, thank you. All that laughing made me hungry!" he added. Clive then motioned to pull the seat opposite Non. "Is it okay if I sat with you, Non? Maybe have our breakfast together?"

11. - Top - End - #161

17th day of Amber's Fall
    Vasae, Non

Spoiler
    Show
    "If you learn, please take me!" Non agreed. She smiled warmly. "Of course you are always welcome at Bukiya Inn! I would love to hear more stories."

Myst nodded and left to help other customers. Non also stood up.

"If you need anything, please call freely." Non said with a content smile.

20th day of Amber's Fall
    Evening; Bukiya Inn
    Jonathan - Xondoure

Spoiler
    Show

Myst watched Non go, and then turned to Jonathan.
    "Just a minute." She said, and went to the kitchen. She returned with a chocolate croissant and tea kettle for Jonathan, and also paper and pen.

"Let's go." Myst said, to lead to the stairs and to Jonathan's room.

Inside the room, the plate and tea kettle was arranged and Myst carefully sat down and prepared paper and pen. She wasn't sure why she was still feeling very good. Maybe it was the warm smile of Jonathan? Myst didn't know. It wasn't like the feeling of Clive, or Non.

But she wasn't worried. Actually maybe that was the feeling. She wasn't worried about things. It was like to wake up for a fresh morning. That kind of feeling.

Maybe it would be nice to just watch the sunset. Was the thought of Myst. The sky would be beautiful. But, she wanted to learn about Jonathan and his magic. That was exciting. It would be fun. Myst had a big smile. It was unusual to see such a happy Myst.
    "Let's start, Jonathan. Ah. How are you?" She asked with a happy smile.

"I want to learn about magic. Ah, well. It should be said, I have learned some things about magic. But your magic seems very interesting! What happened? When you came here, you looked dead. But you knocked with magic, right? I heard something like that. Maybe it was a dream.

But you used magic to heal, Non told me! Anyway. What happened?"

For Jonathan too, to hear such happy speech of Myth was the first time.

Castle Greycourt: Kitchen
    Non

Spoiler
    Show

Non had hurried quickly. The castle steward of Lucien had come to ask her to come to the Castle. And prepare a dinner for thirty guests with boar. On such a short notice, Non had been surprised. A dark mood Mystletinn was no help to suggest that they don't go. But the castle steward was desperate. They were offering a lot of money. Enough money that Bukiya Inn could afford some [renovations] and some new clothes for a certain sword and inn master. It would be enough money that Non hadn't seen so much since artifacts were sold of her adventures before. That was 4 years ago, and she had used it to make Bukiya.

So Non told Myst to watch the inn, and she came alone. Non didn't have any noble clothes, but she did change to a new skirt and dress-ful white shirt. To wrap a blue and green sash (for Bukiya colors), and went with the castle steward.

How was she going to prepare food for thirty people? She let a content smile hide any nervous feeling. This would be a fun challenge.

"Okay, my friendly cooks! Listen to me! We are going to make the food with organization and good cheer!" Non said, to make a speech to the staff helping.
    She pointed at three. "You will start the boar. Prepare the sauce also. Call me when it is ready, or if you need help!" She points to two cooks. "Prepare and cut the fruits and vegetables. You, please prepare the salad with them. Everyone not mentioned, we will prepare the bread and soup and other dishes! Are you ready?" Non asked with a confident smile. The cooks looked motivated. She raised her hand.
    Go!"

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    When Clive came downstairs, Non can be seen sitting at a table reading a letter and drinking tea.

"Good morning Clive." Non said with a warm smile. She looked tired, but still a content smile. "Myst is making breakfast today. What would you like to eat? I'm sure she is happy to make anything, as long as it is not boar."

She laughed a little. Then to speak earnestly. "I will work in the weapon shop later today. If you aren't busy, could you come?"

The kitchen door opened, and Myst carries a tray with some breakfast for Non. It is fried eggs and sausage and soup and rice. When Myst sees Clive, she hesitates with an embarrassed look, and then comes shyly. Non watches with a lazy cat expression.

"Thank you Myst! It looks delicious." Non said.
    "Good morning Clive." Myst said. "Do you want breakfast? Of course you want breakfast... I-I mean, what would you like for breakfast?" Myst asked.

"You shouldn't be shy Myst! Ask Clive your question." Non said with a cat expression. This made Myst's face become red, and she looks flustered at Non. Non hides a smile to drink her tea.

"If you wouldn't mind." Myst asked. "Do you have a seal on your body somewhere? To be a tattoo, kind of like this." She showed her right hand.

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show
    Non made a mysterious smile. "Of course Millon was only rumored... But there can be truth in many stories! That is why I like to collect them. Sometimes if you add stories, it is like a puzzle. Millon has many stories, he is a legend! If that mask is his, then it must be connected with the legend! That is why I am interested too. And...well, it is hard to know about you. I can't see your face. So maybe you are an elf." Non stops.

"Artifact spirit. The race of objects and artifacts that can become like people? Or maybe it is a race of people who become like objects. They are very rare, but I thought maybe you might be one, if you are Millon. Artifact spirits are immortal, I think." Non said.
    21st of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn- EArly Afternoon

Artifact spirits...hmm...nah.
    Hm...if its stories you like, have you read an essay by a Baron Wilkins? He seems to state that almost all recurring heros are representatives of recurring archetypes in Floran and Tiran stories. Millon, for instance, is the Thief- thieves desiring material wealth and plunder, though not necessarily being thieves. I'm quite familiar with most of the archetypes, and I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show

Non shook her head. "No, I haven't. That is a very interesting idea! I would like to hear about this idea more." Non said with interest. It seems for the time, the mask was forgotten by her.

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show

Myst's eyes sparkled, and she did something unexpected. She held her hand to her chest tenderly.
    "Thank you. Thank you Clive." She said, a grateful smile making a glowing face. She hurried away to the kitchen, a big smile on her face.

Non watched Myst go, with a thoughtful look.
    He kissed her seal. I wonder what Myst would have done if Clive had found her four years ago. Non could imagine Myst would have enjoyed every minute, and gone on many adventures with Clive. And that made Non feel...

Guilty?
    Jealous?
    Both feelings like this. Non had tried very hard to protect Mystletinn, and had even given up her own adventuring life to do so. Maybe Myst deserved happy moments like this. It was worth it if Myst would smile like that. Non remembered how long it had taken before to see Myst smile once. And gradually she was becoming better of it. But it was still rare.

Could Non really make Mystletinn happy, to stay here at Bukiya Inn? It was a peaceful life with no killing. Was that what Mystletinn wanted? Non didn't know.

Clive's words returned her focus. Non made a content smile.
    "Of course. Please sit down." Non poured more tea. There was silence for a moment.
    "What are your plans for today?" Non asked.

[In the Kitchen]

Myst wasn't sure why she wanted to cry. She looked at the seal on her right hand. Of course, this wasn't a tattoo. It was a part of her. For Myst, it was like eye color or skin color. Clive had kissed her hand gently. Was he being polite and a gentleman? Or were his words true?

Myst didn't know. She always was a little off balance around Clive because of his humor. But she trusted him. There was a lot of tension today. Non was making mistakes too, but that was probably because she was tired from castle dinner yesterday. They would tell Clive sometime. Myst was certain. He would know. He had something important. Maybe it was even one of Mystletinn's sisters.

Myst wondered about her previous pledge bond. She knew she had one before. And then she had met Non. But meeting Non had changed everything. Or at least, it made it hard to remember. Was her last wielder like Non or Clive? Mystletinn hoped so.

She focused. No tears from this sword today. It was time to prepare breakfast.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-06-27 at 03:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    The Bukiya Inn
    Early Evening

He saw the ripping dress before Myst's stumble, of course. The wispy ghost of her suddenly naked form leaping from where her body remained kneeling joined the phantom play of every person in the inn's bar, a moving fog that he somehow saw without going mad. A gentler man may have turned away, knowing what was to come, but Blake's attention remained fixed on the fetching wench, up until she fled into the kitchen. At Clive's quip, Bake's face contorted into a wolfish grin.

"The benefits of lordship, boy."

As Non explained the situation,Blake appraised the young man with his unsettling eyes. Clive's nervous stammering seemed to amuse the captain, and as he continued to talk Blake's predatory smile only grew wider. As Clive finally offered to buy Blake's next round, the captain could stand it no more, releasing a hearty laugh and raising his hands.

"Enough, boy! 'Tis enough to know that Myst is unhurt. And while I thank you for the gesture, a round for my crew may well leave you a pauper - I'll not rob ye blind for so small a misunderstanding."

Turning away, Blake's eyes swept over Clive, pausing for the briefest of moments on the unique pistol on his belt. Stalking back to his waiting crew with a resigned shrug of unfulfilled valor, a single thought remained in Blake's head.

Though that pistol is a fine prize.

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

The officers of the Wraith departed the Bukiya Inn soon after, striding back into the street showing nary a sign of their preparatory debauch. Outside, the sky was alive with light, colored lanterns strung across the main boulevards illuminating the drunken pirates dancing and fighting in the streets. It was a wondrous, magical sight, yet in Blake's eye it took on a twisted, hellish mien.

Raising his arm, he gave a slight wave to the few of his crew still sober enough to recognize him at a distance, before bellowing into the night.

"CARRIAGE!"

Now, a carriage was a rare sight in Wayfarer's Point, horses being expensive to keep and of limited use in the Isles. However, the Admiralty maintained six carriages for the personal use of the Pirate Lords, and Blake's latest driver had made his way to the Bukiya Inn as soon as the Wraith had arrived. He was the fifth man to hold the position, after the first two had been savagely beaten for tardiness, the third had suffered an unfortunate case of broken limbs after showing up drunk, and the fourth had made the unfortunate error of trying to pickpocket a drunken Khallra only to have his neck snapped. Their current driver was a clean, quiet man who seemed to have learned from his predecessors' mistakes. Thus, when Blake called, his distinctive crimson carriage rounded the bend, and Blake's crew made their way to Castle Greycourt.

Pulling up to the castle's outer gate, Lucien's guards recognized Blake's colors emblazoned on the side of the carriage and waved them through. Blake breathed deep of the sea air as he stepped down onto the worn cobbles, his polished boots clicking dully on the stone. He never felt so at home as when he could smell the sea, and the stone of the Marquis' castle filled him with long-faded memories of his life in Ismar. The combination of the two filled Blake with a warmth unmatched even by brandy, and he entered the castle in a fine mood.

Striding into the monstrous foyer, Blake gave a familiar nod to Janvier as the captain of the guard stepped forward to take their weapons.

"Good evening, captain."

Reaching at his side, Blake undid the scabbard of Stormreaper, handing it as well as a pair of pistols to one of the guards at Janvier's side. They were followed by a pair of wicked looking axes from Khallra, Lucrezia's own Aquarius and single pistol, more than a dozen bone needles from Uriah, and a trio of derringers from Amon Din. All in all, it could have been remarked that Blake's party was relatively unarmed, at least compared to some earlier visits.

"Now, my good captain, would you please show me to the party?"

With a bow, Janvier gestured towards the ball room - Blake had of course known where the Marquis would most likely entertain his guests, but the bit of ceremony was important. Nodding his thanks, the pirate lord closed the distance to the closed doors quickly, throwing them open with a characteristic flair.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!"
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2012-06-26 at 10:52 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

14. - Top - End - #164

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

The Latians were enjoying a quiet talk with the fair ladies of Floran when the doors swung open with a bang and instepped the pirates. Such an uncouth bunch! The noble etiquette of court deserved more than a man just declaring himself loudly to those present. And, what a motley crew. A minotaur? At court! Really, who would have thought that to ever be acceptable. Renato knew of the minotaurs and they did appear occassionaly in Latium as bodyguards and soldiers but to allow one into a formal event was a social faux pas for the ages. Any House which did so would be laughed out of the Grand Council.

Renato turned to his cousin and silently mouthed in Latian who to him wondering what gutter this odd crew pulled itself up from. Amedeo who had previously visited Wayfarer's and knew of some of its laws and government whispered into Renato's ear "Ramsey Blake. A pirate captain and one of the pirate lords."

Ah. Of course. One of the so called "Pirate Lords" of this port, the self appointed nobility. Nobility not granted by god and by blood but by being the toughest thug in a room filled with thugs. It was such a pity that commoners here felt they had this power over the true aristocrats of the world. It would only be a matter of time before the rule of the old world was enforced on Wayfarer's point and the pirate scourge would be put to an end.

As the good captain entered the room and passed the standing Latians Renato gave a nod to the "Lord" and greeted him "Good evening, Captain." He said cordially and cheerfully as expected of him to another guest of his host. After all, he would not want to bring embarassment to Marquis for not following the proper rules of court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks," he replied as he sat down in front of her.

He stared blankly at Non's face. In his mind, he replayed the figure depicted in Myst's tattoo. He was certain he had seen it before. Not exactly like that one, but the style of the figures and the stroke of the lines. Definitely he had seen it before. And he knew where it was he saw it.

In fact, he was carrying it at that exact moment.

Peacemaker had a mark similar to Myst's tattoo on its pistol grip. It also had the similar wing shape design present, but whereas Myst's could be described as noble and cute, Peacemaker's was sharp and elegant. Whereas Myst's mark had the air of childishness about it, Peacemaker's had the feel of deliberate efficiency.

That Myst and Peacemaker were connected somehow was now established in Clive's mind. But the hows and the whys still remained. And he wanted to know the hows and the whys so badly.

Seeing Myst's smile as she went to the kitchen though, the sense of urgency he felt last night was now lost, but of course the curiosity can only be satiated by the truth. It was like a flower, he thought. If one waited for the right moment to pluck it, its beauty would be in full bloom.

Non's question cut through his thoughts, and his head backed away a bit in surprise. "Ah, well nothing in particular, really. The only thing on my mind right now is our date at the workshop," he grinned.

He stared at her again. This time though, he made sure to give the proprietress' beauty its due admiration.

16. - Top - End - #166

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

Coraline had let her "cousins" do most of the entertaining, once the Latians were all ensconced in the ballroom with wine and finger-foods--only the best for the guests, of course. She was charming, of course, and spoke when spoken to...but these men were not overly interesting to her. She was not fascinated by men the way Sylvie was, nor young and innocent like Elise, nor spoken for as Odette was. She did not particularly wish to be any of these things, either.

Selecting a glass of sparkling champagne, she was contemplating finding Lucien when the doors to the ballroom were flung open; her head lifted, startled, and she took in the crowd of people, and the tall, olive-complexioned man at their front. She knew very little of the Pirate Lords, but Lucien had shared a small amount of information about the infamous Captain Ramsay Blake...and other rumors had been heard from the servants, and the girls. That he had a minotaur as a first mate, that he was brutal, that he was mercurial...

"Captain Blake." Coralia's voice was quiet, but her eyes were piercing as she examined him, looking him from head to toe.

"And crew, of course. Forgive me...I do not know all of your names. I am Coraline Bellefeuille. Welcome; please, help yourselves to refreshments. Surely, Lucien will be here soon; I believe, as Odette said earlier, he is in the cellars. Perhaps finding more wine..."

Though she was speaking to the group at large, her eyes had risen to Blake's face and stayed there, almost staring at him--or was it through him? Sometimes, it was difficult to tell.

Her lack of introduction to the other girls was an unintentional oversight; she forgot, on occasion, that when introducing oneself it was proper to also introduce the others in the room. The assumption was usually made that if they wished themselves to be known, they would take the introductions upon themselves...

Polite society and its expectations were still lost on her, sometimes.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Passing into the ballroom, Odette had worked in a final playful jab before going to make the rounds and greet the duke's party, "Neutrality never won fair maiden. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, war is terribly profitable. If it wasn't, why would men keep waging it?"

She wiggled her nose and dodged an icy glare from Sylvie who mock whispered, "Now gold... that will win a woman (in a manner of speaking)."

When Blake's retinue approached, Sylvie went to the captain and kissed each of his cheeks once.* A rouge crept faintly up her lightly powdered face.

Janvier, who had escorted the girls and the Latians in, drew close to Renato while Sylvie was distracted and advised, "Floran women, my lord, gods help you if you can't match them in wits, at least make them laugh. Tease them back or else it will only get worse."

"Lord Captain," Sylvie giggled, "Which sex do you suppose is sooner parted of their virtue by gold?"

After the captain's answer, she offers Renato a chance to retort.

*On an intelligence/education check of 8, a character is familiar with Floran greetings. For first meetings, men of rank clasp hands at the wrist and women curtsey (a man bows in response). Ladies who are acquainted kiss once on the right cheek. Two kisses for friends and friends of the family. Three for one's extended family. Four for close friends and immediate family. Men embrace if at all related or close friends.

A roll of 6 or more and the character knows that two kisses indicates some level of friendliness.

Anything less than 6 and the character is only aware that Florans greet one another with kisses on the cheek.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-06-27 at 05:50 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLongshanks View Post
    24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly, Captain's Cabin
    Captain Jacob Rackham, Vasae, Veldin, Lorindal

Veldin seemed irked to have Lorindal following behind him, purposefully dragging his feet as much as he could without losing sight of the Ambassador. When they entered the Captain’s cabin, he did not take the seat offered but did tap two fingers to his forehead in casual greeting to the human.

He folded his arms across his chest and lingered at the back, leaning against the door frame. He could sense the Captain’s hesitance in response to Vasae’s over-generous offer on the treasure. Not only did he know how to haggle, he was not in the least bit generous, himself. He stepped up to the plate to insert a quick, gruff-

Fifty-fifty’s not possible, sir.

…before leaning back again to let the Ambassador field the next questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Mongoose View Post
    24th of Amber's Fall

Lorindal couldn't help a quiet chuckle noting how Veldin dragged his feet, and eventually spared him by moving up to walk alongside him, flashing the Gin a smile as though he were doing him some sort of favor. He offered the human a slight inclination of his head in polite though silent greeting, and unlike Veldin took a seat beside the Ambassador. His entire manner was overly casual, as though he didn't necessarily consider himself responsible for any of this, more a privileged bystander.

"Hmm... I see Mr. Tanner might prove himself a valued adviser as well as guardian..." the pale elf mused in response to Veldin's interjection, flashing a grin of white teeth between the Captain and Ambassador though refraining from offering his own opinion on the matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    24th of Amber's Fall

Vasae begins to speak before he’s silenced by the other gruff Gin, frowning a little. “It’s not?” he asks, quite honestly surprised. “It seemed fair to me. What would you suggest? As for your question...the Ship is known as the Esmerelda.”
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLongshanks View Post
    24th of Amber's Fall

Veldin heaved a great, put-upon sigh but caught himself mid-way through an eye-roll and paused to regard Vasae more closely. He seemed to be trying to decide whether the Ambassador was serious or not.

"Y' ask him what he thinks is reasonable, and then you offer less," Veldin said with surprising patience. "You represent the Elven people. To give half the score away to the foreign hired help is...." He trailed off with a shake of his head and then, a bit more slyly, added- "Of course, a fifty-fifty split between th' fine gentleman here and us... is much more reasonable." The way he looked between the other two Elves present left no doubt as to what he meant.

And then, as quickly as it had come, all the intensity was lost and he leaned back against the door frame with a day-dreaming expression as if he'd never started paying attention in the first place.

24th of Amber's Fall

Captain Rackham was mere moments away from responding with some witticism about sharing when his mind finally grew to recognize the ship's name. Thus, as a lull finally began to slink into the elves' internal discussion, Jacob freely interrupted with quick change of subject.

"Well, we certainly can allow that portion of the conversation to wait, as we haven't even laid out the job yet! All I've been told is that you're aware of the location of a ship, and not what you wish to do with it. What is it, exactly, that you wish to hire my ship for? A Raid? A Rescue from the horde of Pirates that no doubt sail upon it as we speak? A simple meeting for a dinner with the Captain, perhaps? You didn't say before, so it could truly be any of these things!"

It should also be noted that a glass of Tirian Red Wine has been distributed to each of the guests by this point, and Rackham has had a few sips of it already.

19. - Top - End - #169

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show

Non shook her head. "No, I haven't. That is a very interesting idea! I would like to hear about this idea more." Non said with interest. It seems for the time, the mask was forgotten by her.

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn- Early Afternoon

Well then, Morgus began, pulling up a stool as he leaned back and began to spoke.

Of the many archetypes noted by Lord Wilkins, there are eight that stand out the most. These aren't the only recurring ones, of course. They are the Lord, the Tyrant, the Paladin, the Barbarian, the Wizard, the Warlock, the Thief, and the Monk. The Lord is he who sees his rulership as a duty of the utmost responsibility, that he is the one who is accountable for the ongoings in his lands. The Tyrant sees his rulership as a blessing, a blank check- he is to rule as he sees fit, so that he may maintain his leadership. The Paladin is one who takes up the sword and shield for the sake of others, that the weak shall not be downtrodden. The Barbarian seeks fame and glory through personal merit and skill, wanting immortality in song for mighty deeds. The Wizard seeks understanding and knowledge, a being of order. The Warlock wishes to carve his own path, seeing life as endless paths. The Thief seeks material gain, status, and all that comes with it. And finally, the Monk lives alone from society, finding enlightenment in simplicity.

Morgus paused, looking around the room to make sure none of the pirates were reaching for their knives. These aren't gender-specific, or even skill-specific either. A merchant can be The Lord as much as a thief can be The Warlock. It's mostly personality-based, ya see.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt Ballroom, Prior to arrivals

Rayle looked at her companion as Lucien left, and sighed. "Alright, we need a strategy. One of us needs to be near Odette at all times, and the other one should probably be... some kind of distraction to the various interested parties. Which one of us is doing which?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

The 25th of Amber's Fall, Morning
    Wayfarer's Point, the Fanged Barnacle

There was a commotion on deck. The shouts of angry pirates could be heard over the white noise of the docks for a short time, and then the crash of a man being tossed overboard into the waves.

A disgruntled Tomin White looked out over the line and pointed at Clive.

"You! Up on deck now."

The 25th of Amber's Fall, High Noon

Tomin glanced casually at Morgus. Her eyes didn't leave the eyeslits while her attention remained on him. Her expression seemed almost curious.

"Insulting the people you hope to strike a deal with isn't usually a good sign for a profitable arrangement. And you arrive in the company of Captain Waters."

As her eyes shifted to him Captain Waters seemed to smile.

"Now now Tomin, I've long forgiven you for jumping ship. And the Spotted Fish is large enough to take on the extra hands of your crew and carry enough treasure to make both you, me, and your shipmates as rich as Latium bankers."

"To be honest I didn't think you were interested in scavenging off of someone else's prize."

"Believe it or not Mask here changed my inclinations. Any man claiming to be a mage is interested about what's on board well... The way I see it certain parties would pay handsomely for treasures such as that. Too handsomely for any sane man to decline."

Tomin stared down Morgus and Captain Waters with a piercing expression as frozen as the mask.

"Alright I'm willing to grant you an audience. Captain's in his quarters. Welcome aboard."

With that Tomin escorted the two across the deck and into the captain's quarters. Captain Holt turned to them burning with inner fire.

"So you've come searching for the Esmerelda have you?"

20th of Amber's Fall, Evening
    Bukiya Inn, Jonathan's Temporary Quarters

"I'm quite well Myst thank you." He begins. But before he can continue Myst rushes off into an excited babble about the nature of his abilities. Nodding politely Jonathan grinned. He couldn't remember the last time someone had been so excited by his abilities.

"It's a long and often tragic story. Some parts of which I may have written down for you already. I know! How about I start with a demonstration?"

Upstairs

Jonathan glanced at himself in the mirror appreciatively. The clothing that had been laid out for him fit as well as the last time he had made use of it. And they even seemed to have managed to get the bloodstains out of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    More to come on Nef's adventure when I hear back from the OOC. Floran customs: (1d10+3)[9] (Intelligent I, Educated I)
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-06-29 at 05:59 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show

A rare blush came to Non's face but it disappeared quickly as a content smile returned to her face..

"Good! I hope you don't mind if we work hard! I want to practice a lot while you are here." She drank her tea peacefully. Watching Non, of course Clive can remember the four years ago Non, always busy and trying to focus. She had fiery eyes then, like an adventurer. Still young and brave.

Maybe they were still brave, and young, but there was some more composure. Unlike Myst, who was easy to unbalance, to unbalance Non was more difficult.

"I have written a lot of stories into records, and I have made a lot of swords, and even some guns. But there's always more to do! It does keep busy every day." She said with a smile.

"I was hoping you could show me your weapons... I don't know if you trust me to help repair, but if you want to use the workshop, I would like to watch. Maybe I can learn something to see a professional like you." She asked.

For Non, she had realized soon that, if Clive's gun was an artifact spirit or compass rose sword, then like Mystletinn it should have a seal. Could she recognize it? Probably not. But Non remembered very well. She could draw it for Myst later to identify.

[A few minutes]

Myst returned, a smile on her face and carefully bringing a breakfast for Clive.

"Here you are! Please eat slowly and enjoy!" Myst

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show

Non looked curious and thinking.
    "That is very interesting! So, the meaning is that everyone in a story maybe is one of these archetypes. I wonder if I can make a category for the records, to organize by archetype? Maybe it would take some time. But it's an interesting idea! I wonder what heroes or villains will be such an archetype!

Is Morgus a Warlock, or a Wizard, I wonder?"
    Non asked with a smile. Then she posed to try to look cheerfully heroic.

"What about me? What archetype do you think I am?"

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening
    Jonathan - Xondoure

Spoiler
    Show
    Myst's eyes widen with a star filled expression.

"Yes, please!"

Dutifully she holds the pen. Is she supposed to write this? Maybe. It she would watch it first.

Why am I so happy? I know Jonathan can use magic. What kind of magic can he do?

...Wait... did he do something to me?
    Myst started to think. But she relaxed. Maybe that wasn't important right now.

"Do you need any help?" Myst asked.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Fanged Barnacle

While waiting for Tomin's reappearance, Clive got out a piece of paper and an inkpen, wrote something down, stored the inkpen back in his back and kept the paper in his pocket. After that, he passed time observing the Barnacle's crew, as well as quite the number of hopefuls falling in line along with him. He looked at them, listened to them as they talked to each other, and made idle chatter with those who could stand him and his overfamiliar attitude.

Just as he had suspected, most, if not all of them, were here simply for the promise of easy gold. The esteemed crew and captain of the Barnacle after all, had insured it was simply a matter of getting there and talking what they could back. Which pirate, adventurer, or just about any of your typical lowlifes and scums littering the streets of the Point with nothing good to do wouldn't want any part of that?

The commotion on deck made him turn around in time to hear the shouting of a man followed by the sound of something hitting the water. When the familiar figure of the female pirate appeared above, beckoning for him, he grinned and made a bow before going up the gangplank and onto the deck.

"I don't usually get women to call me over first, but hey, I guess finally someone noticed my charms. I commend you for your taste; I won't disappoint," he started off with a sly smile.

"The name's Clive. And how might I address the lovely lady before me?" he introduced himself, looking not at her eyes, but somewhere more inappropriate.

22nd of Amber's Fall, Morning

Clive was still staring at Non while she started to talk, supporting his head with his hand under his chin and his elbow on the table. He was trying to remember the Non four years ago, and how she looked compared to the Non in front of him now. There were indeed differences, but she was still the same Non as before; calm, collected, and always wearing that warm smile.

When she asked him about repairing his weapons, he straightened up and stretched his back before replying.

"But of course. I don't mind if you screw up in fixing them. It would only cost you a date with me after all, no pressure there," he said with a straight face which turned into a grin after he finished.

"And I do have this new pistol I got from my master. Forged using a new type of metal processing. Makes the barrel stronger, so it doesn't deform, or worse, explode on your face. It's also got lots of neat stuff on it. Haven't got the hang of it myself but I could show you the basics."

He was about to continue talking when he saw Myst enter with his breakfast. "Mmmm! Looks delicious!" he quipped. "Smells delicious, too! Ahh, is that really you Myst? You really do know how to cook now!" he said before laughing.

"I am just kidding. Of course I know you are a very good cook. Any bloke would be lucky to have you as a wife, ya know?" he said with a grin. "Anyway, can't have food waiting, can we? Let's eat!" he turned to Non as he grabbed his fork and dug in.

"Oh, have you eaten breakfast, darling? If you haven't, might as well join us, so we could talk more," he asked Myst before putting a morsel of food in his mouth.

"Mmmm! Issho good!" was all he could say before stuffing his mouth full with more fried eggs and sausages and rice, nearly choking himself. He beat his chest to dislodge the food stuck in his esophagus, but to no avail, so he grabbed the soup and gulped it down. But as it was still hot and he had quite a sensitive tongue, he got burned, prompting him to ask Myst for a glass of water while uselessly sticking out his tongue and fanning it with his hand.

After he gulped down his water, he was still holding out his tongue, but then he burped loudly, looked at the girls, and laughed. "That ought to teach me not to listen to my darling's advice," he quipped before laughing again.

He resumed eating, this time slower.

24. - Top - End - #174

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt Ballroom, Prior to arrivals

Rayle looked at her companion as Lucien left, and sighed. "Alright, we need a strategy. One of us needs to be near Odette at all times, and the other one should probably be... some kind of distraction to the various interested parties. Which one of us is doing which?"
    21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt, the Ballroom

"I could run naked through the ballroom but that's more of a one-shot distraction that might get me thrown out of the castle." Arabella paused for a thoughtful moment, eyeing the look Rayle was giving her while she did. "We'll call that Plan B then. We'll call you running naked through the ballroom Plan C." She said with a puckish smile as she repositioned her hand to a more comfortable place.

"If you spot targets for me while you're next to Odette I think I'm more than equipped with wits to woo. I'll take them to those secret passages, knock them out and then tie and gag them. They'll think they had a fantastic nice with a witty, kinky woman and be none the wiser! Yes! I like this plan." A wide smile brimming with terrible promises spread across her face like a looming shark in the gloom of the sea. "I like this plan a lot. I didn't want to say anything earlier but wearing one of Odette's old dresses wasn't that good for my self-esteem so this'll perk me right up! Yes. We'll call this Plan A!"
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Fanged Barnacle

Tomin laughed and then smacked Clive hard on the back sending him buckling forwards. "Keep moving lout. It's the captain you should be flirting with if you're looking for a deal."

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening

Jonathan smiled and took the tea kettle in his hands. "Magic is both wild and uncontrollable. The simplest spell can be absolutely devastating. One must be very careful not to get burned." As he spoke red flames appeared moving up the side of the kettle until it was engulfed. Yet no signs of fire damage appeared on Jonathan or the kettle itself. With his right hand he scooped up the fire. His left gently placed the tea kettle down. With a ceremonial air he added the tea leaves. And then his attention turned towards the fire.

The flame rolled from one finger to the next in a lazy motion at first. Then from index to index as the gap between them widened. Faster and faster it moved until it appeared as a single line. Suddenly the movement stopped and each finger tip was bathed in brilliant orange light. Crackling with glee pinpricks of light erupted from his hands whizzing all around the room like fire flies. For one spectacular moment hundreds of lights danced around Myst in chaotic unison. Just as suddenly as they appeared the sparks vanished; leaving only the hearth fire burning.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-06-28 at 02:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    The 25th of Amber's Fall, Morning

There was a commotion on deck. The shouts of angry pirates could be heard over the white noise of the docks for a short time, and then the crash of a man being tossed overboard into the waves.

A disgruntled Tomin White looked out over the line and pointed at Clive.

"You! Up on deck now."

The 25th of Amber's Fall, High Noon

Tomin glanced casually at Morgus. Her eyes didn't leave the eyeslits while her attention remained on him. Her expression seemed almost curious.

"Insulting the people you hope to strike a deal with isn't usually a good sign for a profitable arrangement. And you arrive in the company of Captain Waters."

As her eyes shifted to him Captain Waters seemed to smile.

"Now now Tomin, I've long forgiven you for jumping ship. And the Spotted Fish is large enough to take on the extra hands of your crew and carry enough treasure to make both you, me, and your shipmates as rich as Latium bankers."

"To be honest I didn't think you were interested in scavenging off of someone else's prize."

"Believe it or not Mask here changed my inclinations. Any man claiming to be a mage is interested about what's on board well... The way I see it certain parties would pay handsomely for treasures such as that. Too handsomely for any sane man to decline."

Tomin stared down Morgus and Captain Waters with a piercing expression as frozen as the mask.

"Alright I'm willing to grant you an audience. Captain's in his quarters. Welcome aboard."

With that Tomin escorted the two across the deck and into the captain's quarters. Captain Holt turned to them burning with inner fire.

"So you've come searching for the Esmerelda have you?"

20th of Amber's Fall, Evening
    Bukiya Inn, Jonathan's Temporary Quarters

"I'm quite well Myst thank you." He begins. But before he can continue Myst rushes off into an excited babble about the nature of his abilities. Nodding politely Jonathan grinned. He couldn't remember the last time someone had been so excited by his abilities.

"It's a long and often tragic story. Some parts of which I may have written down for you already. I know! How about I start with a demonstration?"

Upstairs

Jonathan glanced at himself in the mirror appreciatively. The clothing that had been laid out for him fit as well as the last time he had made use of it. And they even seemed to have managed to get the bloodstains out of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    More to come on Nef's adventure when I hear back from the OOC. Floran customs: [roll0] (Intelligent I, Educated I)
    Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show

A rare blush came to Non's face but it disappeared quickly as a content smile returned to her face..

"Good! I hope you don't mind if we work hard! I want to practice a lot while you are here." She drank her tea peacefully. Watching Non, of course Clive can remember the four years ago Non, always busy and trying to focus. She had fiery eyes then, like an adventurer. Still young and brave.

Maybe they were still brave, and young, but there was some more composure. Unlike Myst, who was easy to unbalance, to unbalance Non was more difficult.

"I have written a lot of stories into records, and I have made a lot of swords, and even some guns. But there's always more to do! It does keep busy every day." She said with a smile.

"I was hoping you could show me your weapons... I don't know if you trust me to help repair, but if you want to use the workshop, I would like to watch. Maybe I can learn something to see a professional like you." She asked.

For Non, she had realized soon that, if Clive's gun was an artifact spirit or compass rose sword, then like Mystletinn it should have a seal. Could she recognize it? Probably not. But Non remembered very well. She could draw it for Myst later to identify.

[A few minutes]

Myst returned, a smile on her face and carefully bringing a breakfast for Clive.

"Here you are! Please eat slowly and enjoy!" Myst

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show

Non looked curious and thinking.
    "That is very interesting! So, the meaning is that everyone in a story maybe is one of these archetypes. I wonder if I can make a category for the records, to organize by archetype? Maybe it would take some time. But it's an interesting idea! I wonder what heroes or villains will be such an archetype!

Is Morgus a Warlock, or a Wizard, I wonder?"
    Non asked with a smile. Then she posed to try to look cheerfully heroic.

"What about me? What archetype do you think I am?"

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening
    Jonathan - Xondoure

Spoiler
    Show
    Myst's eyes widen with a star filled expression.

"Yes, please!"

Dutifully she holds the pen. Is she supposed to write this? Maybe. It she would watch it first.

Why am I so happy? I know Jonathan can use magic. What kind of magic can he do?

...Wait... did he do something to me?
    Myst started to think. But she relaxed. Maybe that wasn't important right now.

"Do you need any help?" Myst asked.
    21st of Amber's Fall
    Bukuya Inn-Early Afternoon

Not everyone applies to one of these archetypes. And there are many more archetypes besides those. The Lord Wilkins had time on his hands, presumably.

25th of Amber's Fall
    High Noon- The Barnacle

I do. I figure there might be something specific on there I have a vested interest in. Morgus showed the captain the same picture of the gauntlet with the same scribbles. I care only for obtaining this and some coin to purchase food and travel should I need it. You and Captain Waters here can negotiate between yourself percentages of the loot- save this. The Fish will also be under protection from lightning and hail, provided by me. Conversely, that also makes whatever competitors for the prize susceptible to the very same things in any weather.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall

Vasae glances back at the captain, pausing for a moment before offering a single shrug of his shoulders. “I’m certain if the Captain is alive we can have dinner but I am told that a great treasure lays on that ship. I’d very much like to get my hands on it. Revenants do not come cheap yes?” he asks, glancing to his companions. “I must however, against advisement from Mr. Tanner, to insist on a fifty fifty split. It is the least I can do for a friend. I am not a pirate, I am a diplomat after all and it is my business to maintain peaceful relations with people. Especially when those people are from nations that share our homeland. If you are willing then Captain?” He leans back in his seat, glancing at Veldin for but a moment with a wry smirk though doesn’t touch the wine at least for the moment.

17th day of Amber's Fall
    Vasae, Non

Vasae gives a simple nod, smiling brightly. “Of course Miss Non, perhaps you would like to come to the Embassy one afternoon? I am sure I can think of other stories to share with you. You’ve been most kind to let me stay this long in your building, it would be rude not to let you visit mine.”

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Fanged Barnacle

The blow to his back expelled the air in his lungs, and he paused in his tracks. "Ahh, I see you really like me, don't ya?" he said, squeezing in laughter in between his fits of coughing.

Without warning, he turned around and in an instant closed the gap between him and Tomin, grabbed her hand, and kissed the back of it.

"But why should why have the need to talk to the captain, when I have a beautiful lady such as yourself standing here in front of me, right now?" he said, smiling.

Suddenly his goofy smile disappeared. He was serious, and she could feel a heavy air about him. "You know what I mean. Why waste your time with this crew and get a measly share after all of this when you can come with me and get much, much more?" he whispered as he locked eyes with her.

As quickly as he closed the gap between them, he let go of her hand and put distance between them, and his face returned to his usual smiling one. He turned around and waved without looking at her, proceeding to his intended destination.

As soon as he entered the captain's quarters, he spoke.

"Tell me, Captain. I am what, the hundredth ruffian who came to you, telling you he could provide you a ship in exchange for your information on the Esmeralda's whereabouts? What are the odds you'd pick me instead?" he was wearing his usual careless air and a smile on his face.

The moment that Clive had grabbed Tomin's hand, he placed the sheet of paper one which he scribbled something earlier inside her hand, and left it there. If she were to open and read it, it read like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    You know where the ship is. I can get you there. Plunder the Esmeralda without having to divide it with the rest of the Barnacle's crew, nor that greedy Captain of yours.

If you are interested, meet me outside the Sleeping Mermade tonight.

The rest contains the directions going to the Sleeping Mermaid. It is a tavern near the docks.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Non laughed a little. "Didn't you call the workshop today a 'date'? So isn't it the situation of it is [good both ways]?"

Myst made a pouting face to hear Clive's words. But it is a joking reaction- or to try with her best effort.
    "I've practiced very hard! Non approves too, right?" Non smiled.
    "She is probably better than me."
    "Because you don't pay enough attention to the pan's feelings, or to the oven. I'm sure they'd help you more if you tried." Myst replied.

"Wife?" Myst asked with great surprise. Non tried to control her tea with this comment.
    "Non, Clive doesn't mean..." Myst started to ask with flustered.
    "No, he doesn't." Non replied quickly. "Besides, you are already married to me!" She laughed. Myst just looked confused.

But Clive called for water, and Myst ran to bring it back. "Are you ok? It was said to eat slowly. The soup is hot. The bowl should have told you such a thing." She said, looking at the bowl with a curious look.

"I've already eaten. I ate breakfast before customers woke up this morning. Normally I eat with Non, but she slept later today." Myst explained, to sit down between Non and Clive. Her eyes sparkled a little, but she blinked and such a sight was gone.
    Non nodded.
    "Yes. I went to bed late, so I woke up late."

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show
    "Wait, are you saying I'm not good enough heroine to qualify for an archetype?" Non made a pout and hurt expression.

"I don't know if I should blame you, or Lord Wilkins." She said, to raise an eyebrow and clean the counter. "But if archetypes are to repeat, then maybe it suggests heroes repeat! I wonder. Do you believe in [reincarnation]?" Non asked curiously.

"If this is an archetypes theory of Baron Wilkins, then [Reincarnation] must be the situation. For heroes to be repeated!"

"Myst! Do you believe in reincarnation?" Non suddenly asked Myst, who was waving goodbye to some customers. Myst looked surprised of this question, and then a serious thought.

"Yes." She answered. "It only makes sense for living things to repeat like that. It's a cycle." She said.
    "Thank you Myst!" Non replied with a lazy wave and cat expression.

17th day of Amber's Fall
    Vasae - Tebryn

Spoiler
    Show
    Non smiled brightly. "Yes! I would love to visit the Embassy one afternoon! I don't get to travel so much, unless it is to the market."
    "Please rely on me to protect the inn while you are away." Myst said as she left.
    "Thank you Myst!" Non responded. She looked at Vasae and made a bow.

"Thank you for your invitation! Please send a message anytime you are not so busy. Ah, if you need any help, of course please come to Bukiya! Neither Myst or I am from Wayfarer's Point, but we have been here for some time. So if you have any questions or want to read interesting stories, you are welcome Ambassador." Non said. With a content smile and a wave, she began to go to the counter.

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening
    Jonathan - Xondoure

Spoiler
    Show
    Myst watched with a wonder expression, to see the magic of Jonathan. The fire fly like light reflected in her eyes very easily. Myst didn't flinch or panic like some people, to be surrounded by such a light. She watched it and enjoyed it. To be surrounded by such a chaos with a composed appearance, it was a little like a spirit with a noble appearance. But the sparks suddenly vanished. And Myst looked at the hearth fire. Then she looked at Jonathan and bowed.

"Thank you for showing me such a wonderful thing." She said. The excitement and energy was returned to become more normal Myst.
    "Can it be said, the magic of Jonathan is the fire element? Is it true a sorcerer can only use one magic?" Even with an earnest expression, Myst paused, and looked thoughtful.

"I wonder, should I show my magic to Jonathan?"

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt, Evening
    Non

Spoiler
    Show
    Cooking was going well. Some of the cooks had been upset to follow the orders of Non, but soon the first dish would be ready.

"Actually, I wonder when they are going to eat?" Non thought, when another guest was announced outside. Already such a meal was prepared that Non was very proud. To cook for so many people was difficult. But leadership for an ex-adventurer is an easy talent! So she made a path of cooking and told the other cooks what to do. One or two had been angry about it, but Non had made a content smile and said "It is ok, but Lucien will be very angry later. And I am a very honest person." With such a dangerous and powerful smile mask, an aura like a tiger could be felt by the cooks. So they surrendered, and returned to work quickly.

But Non missed Myst. She would be helpful in this kind of situation, to have [backup support].

After she was satisfied the cooks can do ok, Non changed to a cook uniform of the castle. It would be inappropriate to wear inn uniform, but it is regretful. Somehow, it would be good advertisement at such a party. But such a thought was not shared. Maybe Non would tell Myst later.

"I will be back, dear cooks! Please let's continue our best!" Non said with a rallying speech. Some cooks cheered. Many worked anyway. Some looked annoyed when Non left.

So with a graceful walk and a bright white uniform, Non began to search the halls. Where was Lucien? Where were the guests?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening

"I wouldn't say that." Jonathan said in response to the question about the elements. "It's important to incorporate all aspects of the classical states. I use fire because it requires discipline. The dangers it poses if I were to let it run wild mirror the dangers to myself should my talents do the same. By focusing on controlling the flames; I focus on controlling myself."

His eyes brightened at Myst's suggestion. "I thought you might have such a gift! It fit well with how excited you were about my abilities, and there's something about you I can never quite put my finger on."

The Fanged Barnacle, Captain's Quarters

"That depends entirely on what you have to offer." Holt said gazing steadily at the gunslinger.
    Spoiler
    Show