New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Playground 4: SAN Overboard!

Wayfarer's Point, Bukiya Inn
    22nd of Amber's Fall, Morning

"Hmm, that personal contract you were talking about, huh," he addressed Non regarding Myst reference of her sleeping late.The young man picked up a piece of sausage and fried egg, ate them, then continued.

"Mmm! Now that Myst's here and there's not a lot of customers yet, how 'bout telling me what you've been doing for the past years that we haven't seen each other, yeah?" he asked enthusiastically.

"Any curious incident that happened 'round here? Or interesting people who stayed here? Important people perhaps? Tell me! Tell me!"

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Fanged Barnacle, Captain's Quarters
    25th of Amber's Fall, Morning

"Ahh. Let me see..." he began, pacing around, trying to think of things he could offer that the Captain could not refuse.

"A ship? Nope, guess we don't have a shortage of that, do we? Crew? I assume you already have more than enough to divide the prize among with," he mused loudly.

He stopped in his boots and faced the Captain, raising his index finger. "Ahh! But do you have reliable men? For sure whoever you fail to include in your little scavenging group would be on the lookout for you and follow you to the Esmeralda. It won't be pretty. You're going to need firepower. And I can provide you that!" he said smiling, inching closer to the captain.

"I may not look like it, but I happen to be a very good gunsmith myself, and quite a good shot. Ain't no worse than fighting against a pirate wielding a pistol than being a pirate with a broken pistol. I can repair any and all types of pistols, muskets, blunderbusses, carbines, all for free! If you'd like a demonstration, I could very well show you right here, right now. For both."

"And if that's not convincing enough for you, I'd be bringing my buddy along...have you heard about the Order's Gunslingers? I'm sure you've heard the rumors of mysterious people wielding powerful guns kidnapping men and women and decimating villages, and they did all of this individually? Well, he says he's one of 'em. I haven't had the chance to find out myself, but let me assure you, watching that man with a firearm, I'm inclined to think he is what he says he is."

He stopped for a while to shift his posture, then continued. "'Course'n you'd want proof, yeah? That'd be quite hard as he doesn't show himself just like that. And I honestly don't think that's a good idea, unless you're bored with living. But if I could show you I could beat three of you men at once in combat, would you believe it? I say, since he's better than me, that ought to show his skill. But if you still won't take that as proof, then I guess in that demonstration alone, I would have shown you I am more than able to earn my keep, yes? Then the decision is left for you on whether to bring in an extra arm in my buddy based on my words."

Clive backed up a step and shrugged. "Well, how's that for an offer?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC: Since we are getting close to the end of the month I'm going to jump ahead and do this now to have an RP reason for getting cannons as my first of the month advantage.

And while I'm at it my roll for Floran manners with my plus 2 for being educated.

(1d10+2)[6]

IC:

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    Regulus' Fortune
    26th of Amber's Fall, Morning

The ship's bell rang summoning everyone to their duty stations for departure. Soldiers and Sailors alike did their part as the ship was pushed from the dock and sails were raised to catch the wind and get the vessel underway as the two nobles watched from the bridge. The rumors of the crippled ship provided the perfect cover for Latians to undertake their mission without arousing suspicioun. Half the other ships in dock were either already underway or preparing to depart. In just one days time if the winds were favorable they would be arriving in Castra and Renato would begin executing the first stage of his plan for fame, fortune and glory.

to be continued...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Six Years Ago
    Pellax Sea
    Liana

It was such a great adventure! The smell of the ocean, the broad deck of the ship, the birds and the sea-life...Liana had always loved the water, had always wished to venture further into the depths. And though her mother, well-meaning and cautious, had always pulled her away before she'd been able to go too deep into the darkness, she'd acquiesced to this island tour.

It was not the islands Liana was interested in. She peered over the railings of the boat, fascinated, as the waves buffeted against the hull and the sun disappeared behind the clouds. So entranced was she by the shimmering reflection off the surface of the ocean that she did not realize the darkness was growing...

"Liana!" Her brother's voice. "Liana, be careful! Get away from there, girl! A storm is coming!"

A storm...? The thought was almost dreamlike, and Liana lifted her head, looking up at the sky instead of down at the water. A droplet of rain hit her face, and then another, and then the sky opened; the crew was shouting, shoving people belowdecks; Liana was fascinated. The way the rain hit the waves, the way the fish jumped...it was beautiful, in a terrifying way.

Kra-KOOM, the thunder rolled, and her brother grabbed her, shouting, tugging at her hand. A wave crested, struck the side of the ship; another struck, and the ship rolled, and her hand slipped from her brother's. A flash of lightning across the sky, and the deafening crack of the mast.

Everything was a nightmare of darkness, briefly illuminated by lightning. The shouting provided a hellion soundtrack to the madness as the sail swung around, unburdened by the steadiness of the mast.

"LIANA!"

The water was colder than she'd thought it would be, when she struck it. Colder, and darker than it had looked. More violent. Her arms didn't seem to work; dazed from the strike of the sail, everything seemed to be moving as through molasses, or the slow-dripping wax of a candle. She could not find which way was up, for all ways were darkness. But as the scream escaped her, as she slipped away, she could swear she saw arms in the sea, and a fin made of iridescent scales...

-A girl-child.- The voice came to her slowly. -She was dying. I could only save her this way. Her people are naught to be found. She is comely this way.-

-How like you!- A different voice, higher, as incomprehensible to her as the first; she opened her eyes, blinked. She was...in water. How odd. Or was it?

-To judge based on appearance, instead of usefulness--oh, she is awake.- The voices shifted, and she perceived faces, now...one, thin and aquiline, decidedly male. His hair was blue, but his eyes were golden...and the other, a girl, younger than the man, with a sweetheart face and a welcoming smile.

"Hello, Coralia. Welcome to the Nest."

To be continued...maybe.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt Ballroom, Before the Dinner

"Your plans are always so robust." Rayle said dryly. "I just hope you're good enough at tying knots that they stay put until morning." The treasure hunter shakes her head. "No, you know what? I like this plan. We're just going to make mischief and have fun with it. You do your thing and I'll abuse our guests for laughs." She looks out at the new arrivals. "We won't be in trouble unless Captain Blake ends up on the guest list or something. But what are the odds of that?"

Later...

"We're in trouble." Rayle hissed, practically leaping back through the door she had been about to pass through. She peered through the keyhole - yes, someone had indeed mentioned Blake, and he was in the room. "Blake is here! What do we do?"

"Wing it." Arabella said, for once serious.

"Wing it?"

"Wing it. It's what you do best."

Rayle turned to Arabella, leaving just inches between them. "Alright. But this means that you absolutely cannot tell anyone that you're a dragon. Got that? No dragon shenanigans."

Without any further prompting, the taller woman bounds out, picking up the thread of conversation and answering Sylvie's question. "Whichever one isn't being parted from their gold by a loss of virtue, of course. Nice to meet all of you, my name is Rayle Bancross, if you didn't already know that. My lovely and talented partner behind me is Arabella, and we're your entertainment for the evening."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2012-06-30 at 12:18 AM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #185

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt, the Ballroom

Renato bows and removes his to the female interlopers as is the customed formalilty at the Latian courts. "It is a pleasure to make the acquiatance of such lovely ladies. Renato Benso at your service." He says as he comes up from his sweeping bow and returing the cap to his head as he finishes greeting the entertainment.
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

The Fanged Barnacle

"Men claiming to be good shots are a piece of eight to a dozen. And men willing to demonstrate only slightly more costly. Still, I'm inclined to believe your claims. And were it not for the insinuation against my crew I may have considered." Holt's voice grew cold as he finished his speech. "Off of my ship dog."

25th of Amber's Fall, Noon
    The Fanged Barnacle

Holt studied the image carefully. "What's your price Waters."

"It's my ship you need to get your share of the gold, but I'm willing to split along a more even line on account of you needing some leeway for repairs. Seventy thirty."

"Are you daft man? Your ship may be big but it isn't the only one on the docks. Still, as a deal among old friends I'd be willing to consider a sixty forty split in my crews favor."

This discussion went on for a full game of cards, three bottles of rum, and one narrow escape from a duel. Finally it was decided that sixty would go to Waters and the Fish, and Forty to Holt so long as the repairs for the Fanged Barnacle was cut off the top.

Back on his own ship Captain Waters laughed heartily as he shouted out instructions to his men. All that remained between him and the Esmerelda was the morning tide to take them away from port.

25th of Amber's Fall, Evening
    the Sleeping Mermaid Inn

Tomin White was a good quarter master. She kept her eye on the needs of the crew and never let them go under appreciated. She was proud of her job and there was only one thing she hated more than she liked keeping it. Unfortunately for her that was the idea of working for her old boss. As a result she found herself buying a drink the night before the launch; wondering just how she might escape that particular prospect.

21st of Amber's Fall, Evening
    Castle Greycourt, Hallways

Jonathan had intended to make his way to the ballroom. However his nose had other intentions. In very little time he found himself near the kitchens again when he stumbled upon a familiar face.

"Non! What a pleasure to see you. I heard Lucien sending for you earlier. How's the meal coming along?"
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

His wolfish grin twinkling along with his golden eye, Blake bowed slightly at Sylvie's question.

"Surely, my lady, the answer is women, for I've yet to meet a man who had any virtue to sell."

Straightening, Blake placed his hand over his heart, his smile becoming apologetic.

"But please, dear ladies, do not think that I shortchange your honor. Why, I doubt all the gold in Latium would serve to tempt even a one of you pure and lovely maidens."

Blake's grin became wolfish again, and he glanced at the yet to be introduced Latian, clearly a man of some status. No doubt a noble of some sort, if he was both a stranger and deserving of an invitation to the Greycourt. Leaning in closer to the ladies, Blake's piercing whisper reached everyone in the room.

"Though I wouldn't recommend it even if you were tempted. Latian gold is notoriously hard to hold on to."

Blake turned, awaiting the response he was sure would come, only to see Rayle Bancross come bounding into the room. Though they could not even be called acquaintances, the infamous treasure hunter had established enough of a reputation that he recognized her on sight. Yet even so, his eyes narrowed in surprise at something around her, something no one else could see.

As soon as Rayle and Arabella appeared, the mood among Khallra and Amon Din tensed considerably. Turning towards Blake with questioning looks in their eyes, a simple head motion indicated their question -

"Should we take them now?"

Blake shook his head once, and that was the end of it. He'd not be so insensitive as to ruin the night for the Marquis, at least not until he was provoked. Putting on a smile, he turned to the ladies.

"My ladies, we are truly indebted to your cousin for this rare treat. I've never heard of a contortionist as skilled as Rayle Bancross."

He turned back to her, and his eyes were cold.

"She always manages to tie herself in the most interesting knots. But tell me, Ms. Bancross, what is it your companion does?"
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2012-06-30 at 04:11 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt: Ballroom
    Evening

Sylvie rolled the pirate lord's comment over in her head like she were tasting a new wine. No doubt she'd pass along any delicious repartee to Odette. Her amber eyes glittered as she locked Blake in her sights.

"So speaks the disreputable representative of virtueless men! If you are without virtue, why should I take you at your word? Scoundrel, you'd have me believe there are no good men... or no better."

Unless Ramsay was in a very good mood, only beautiful women and Lucien could get away with such words. Sylvie was near enough to both that she could have slapped the pirate and he'd stand there relishing the pain and considering if he'd deserved it.

Joined by Rayle and Arabella, Sylvie and Elise seemed nonplussed by her quip, though Elise nodded in consent. And when Renato called them "lovely" Sylvie wrinkled her nose, questioning his taste in Rayle and sparing a cold glance to Arabella. Her lips curled slightly in amusement when Rayle was accused of being a contortionist, though.

Introductions again finished, she posed the question to Renato, "Seigneur Benso, which sex sells their virtue for less? Supposing that they have any..."

She prodded Ramsay lightly in the chest with her last word.

Spoiler
    Show
    +1 Point for Blake
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-06-30 at 06:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

Renato puts a finger to his chin as if pondering. "That is a tough question..." he pauses and scratches at his chin then continues again "but, there is one clear answer."

He stops again to take a goblet of wine from a tray of a passing servant. "And, if I may quote the heretic who shall not be named," some of the other Latians, the more religious ones grumbed curses under their breath and made the sign of Regulus, adopting a loose fist with their right hand and bring the thumb and index finger to their lips and then to their heart. "Wolves smell fear and slay the coward. Men smell gold and slay their brother." It was a quote from Barnabus a heretic not in the so distant past who was then burned at the stake for heresy after confessing(under torture of course) to being a false prophet.

He turns to Captain Blake with a slight smile and shrug to the girls first "And, that is why good captain Latian gold is so hard to hold on to. We must keep it locked away in our banks and accounted for so that the souls of men are not tempted to do evil with it. It is our burden to carry. Truly a heavy burden."
    Last edited by LongVin; 2012-06-30 at 09:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190

"Alright. But this means that you absolutely cannot tell anyone that you're a dragon. Got that? No dragon shenanigans."
    "I don't know what you could mean. Dragons? Silly girl, dragons aren't real." There was that looming shark in the gloom smile again as Arabella followed Rayle into the feeding grounds.

At Renato's greeting Arabella tried her best to remember the proper protocol, falling on her own upbringing as she did. "Charmed, sir." She said with the proper gesture. "And I'm charmed to meet you, good captain." She said without the proper gesture to Blake as she tried to divert his attention away from Rayle and Odette. "Although I'm a little upset you'd mention Rayle's flexibility and forget to mention my fire." She said with a tone of mock indignation made all the more false by the great smile on her face. "Though I can see how a man would prefer flexibility over fire for the short-lived dalliances you must prefer; how could a wild, free man such as yourself endure the shackles of a long-term relationship for long before something dreadful happened to the poor girl you'd been tied to I don't know." Arabella seemed to wave something aside near her. "Shipboard life must be so confining too if your crew's reaction to making port is any indication. You'd think they'd been shackled to a dungeon wall the way they hurl themselves into port. Fire or flexibility wouldn't be enough to live on a ship it seems: one is so easily cast aside and the other would burn your ship to the bottom of the sea."
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    22st of Amber's Fall, Morning
    Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Non laughed a little. "Didn't you call the workshop today a 'date'? So isn't it the situation of it is [good both ways]?"

Myst made a pouting face to hear Clive's words. But it is a joking reaction- or to try with her best effort.
    "I've practiced very hard! Non approves too, right?" Non smiled.
    "She is probably better than me."
    "Because you don't pay enough attention to the pan's feelings, or to the oven. I'm sure they'd help you more if you tried." Myst replied.

"Wife?" Myst asked with great surprise. Non tried to control her tea with this comment.
    "Non, Clive doesn't mean..." Myst started to ask with flustered.
    "No, he doesn't." Non replied quickly. "Besides, you are already married to me!" She laughed. Myst just looked confused.

But Clive called for water, and Myst ran to bring it back. "Are you ok? It was said to eat slowly. The soup is hot. The bowl should have told you such a thing." She said, looking at the bowl with a curious look.

"I've already eaten. I ate breakfast before customers woke up this morning. Normally I eat with Non, but she slept later today." Myst explained, to sit down between Non and Clive. Her eyes sparkled a little, but she blinked and such a sight was gone.
    Non nodded.
    "Yes. I went to bed late, so I woke up late."

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Early Afternoon
    (Morgus - Hydranova)

Spoiler
    Show
    "Wait, are you saying I'm not good enough heroine to qualify for an archetype?" Non made a pout and hurt expression.

"I don't know if I should blame you, or Lord Wilkins." She said, to raise an eyebrow and clean the counter. "But if archetypes are to repeat, then maybe it suggests heroes repeat! I wonder. Do you believe in [reincarnation]?" Non asked curiously.

"If this is an archetypes theory of Baron Wilkins, then [Reincarnation] must be the situation. For heroes to be repeated!"

"Myst! Do you believe in reincarnation?" Non suddenly asked Myst, who was waving goodbye to some customers. Myst looked surprised of this question, and then a serious thought.

"Yes." She answered. "It only makes sense for living things to repeat like that. It's a cycle." She said.
    "Thank you Myst!" Non replied with a lazy wave and cat expression.

17th day of Amber's Fall
    08:00; Bukiya Inn
    Vasae - Tebryn

Spoiler
    Show
    Non smiled brightly. "Yes! I would love to visit the Embassy one afternoon! I don't get to travel so much, unless it is to the market."
    "Please rely on me to protect the inn while you are away." Myst said as she left.
    "Thank you Myst!" Non responded. She looked at Vasae and made a bow.

"Thank you for your invitation! Please send a message anytime you are not so busy. Ah, if you need any help, of course please come to Bukiya! Neither Myst or I am from Wayfarer's Point, but we have been here for some time. So if you have any questions or want to read interesting stories, you are welcome Ambassador." Non said. With a content smile and a wave, she began to go to the counter.

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening
    Jonathan - Xondoure

Spoiler
    Show
    Myst watched with a wonder expression, to see the magic of Jonathan. The fire fly like light reflected in her eyes very easily. Myst didn't flinch or panic like some people, to be surrounded by such a light. She watched it and enjoyed it. To be surrounded by such a chaos with a composed appearance, it was a little like a spirit with a noble appearance. But the sparks suddenly vanished. And Myst looked at the hearth fire. Then she looked at Jonathan and bowed.

"Thank you for showing me such a wonderful thing." She said. The excitement and energy was returned to become more normal Myst.
    "Can it be said, the magic of Jonathan is the fire element? Is it true a sorcerer can only use one magic?" Even with an earnest expression, Myst paused, and looked thoughtful.

"I wonder, should I show my magic to Jonathan?"

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt, Evening
    Non

Spoiler
    Show
    Cooking was going well. Some of the cooks had been upset to follow the orders of Non, but soon the first dish would be ready.

"Actually, I wonder when they are going to eat?" Non thought, when another guest was announced outside. Already such a meal was prepared that Non was very proud. To cook for so many people was difficult. But leadership for an ex-adventurer is an easy talent! So she made a path of cooking and told the other cooks what to do. One or two had been angry about it, but Non had made a content smile and said "It is ok, but Lucien will be very angry later. And I am a very honest person." With such a dangerous and powerful smile mask, an aura like a tiger could be felt by the cooks. So they surrendered, and returned to work quickly.

But Non missed Myst. She would be helpful in this kind of situation, to have [backup support].

After she was satisfied the cooks can do ok, Non changed to a cook uniform of the castle. It would be inappropriate to wear inn uniform, but it is regretful. Somehow, it would be good advertisement at such a party. But such a thought was not shared. Maybe Non would tell Myst later.

"I will be back, dear cooks! Please let's continue our best!" Non said with a rallying speech. Some cooks cheered. Many worked anyway. Some looked annoyed when Non left.

So with a graceful walk and a bright white uniform, Non began to search the halls. Where was Lucien? Where were the guests?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    The Fanged Barnacle

"Men claiming to be good shots are a piece of eight to a dozen. And men willing to demonstrate only slightly more costly. Still, I'm inclined to believe your claims. And were it not for the insinuation against my crew I may have considered." Holt's voice grew cold as he finished his speech. "Off of my ship dog."

25th of Amber's Fall, Noon
    The Fanged Barnacle

Holt studied the image carefully. "What's your price Waters."

"It's my ship you need to get your share of the gold, but I'm willing to split along a more even line on account of you needing some leeway for repairs. Seventy thirty."

"Are you daft man? Your ship may be big but it isn't the only one on the docks. Still, as a deal among old friends I'd be willing to consider a sixty forty split in my crews favor."

This discussion went on for a full game of cards, three bottles of rum, and one narrow escape from a duel. Finally it was decided that sixty would go to Waters and the Fish, and Forty to Holt so long as the repairs for the Fanged Barnacle was cut off the top.

Back on his own ship Captain Waters laughed heartily as he shouted out instructions to his men. All that remained between him and the Esmerelda was the morning tide to take them away from port.

the Sleeping Mermaid Inn

Tomin White was a good quarter master. She kept her eye on the needs of the crew and never let them go under appreciated. She was proud of her job and there was only one thing she hated more than she liked keeping it. Unfortunately for her that was the idea of working for her old boss. As a result she found herself buying a drink the night before the launch; wondering just how she might escape that particular prospect.

21st of Amber's Fall, Evening
    Castle Greycourt, Hallways

Jonathan had intended to make his way to the ballroom. However his nose had other intentions. In very little time he found himself near the kitchens again when he stumbled upon a familiar face.

"Non! What a pleasure to see you. I heard Lucien sending for you earlier. How's the meal coming along?"
    21st of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn-Early Afternoon

Reincarnation? Mmm, perhaps. But then again, Lord Wilkins was comitted for the crimes of arson, murder, and pickpocketing. REgardless an interesting read, we could continue it later, if best. Just give me a holler if you need anything, and I can comply. At this Morgus dusted himself off, and went to his room, to inspect it.

25th of Amber's Fall
    The Fish- High Noon

Morgus had dismissed himself, temporarally at least. Besides, given his attire, it would take a few bottles of rum to not notice he wasn't on board. Anyways, he hurried to the Inn, needing to make arrangements regarding lodging. Walking inside, he saw the patrons, coming in for lunch and beer presumably. Writing a note, as to not disrupt the intake of money, he placed it on the counter for reading. It read:

Non-
    On adventure, will return when possible.
    -Morgus

His work done, he strolled, at a quick pace, to the Fish. However, he had stopped on the way there to pick up some paint, and a brush.

Captain. Might I borrow the Crow's Nest, should I need it in our journey?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt: Ballroom, Evening

Rayle meets Blake's asymmetrical gaze. Oh yes. He knows. That was a very fast trip for any ship to make between Redwater Isle and Wayfarer's Point, and that was assuming that Blake had been pulling out of port in Crimson Harbor right after she and Arabella had left - which seemed flatly impossible if he'd had to collect Din and Khallra in the process. Score another one for the legendary pirate lord.

"Ha! You haven't seen flexible until you see me get out of a knot like that. But we don't have anything quite so ambitious planned for this evening. As for my companion, she makes cryptic statements, sings, plays the violin, and sometimes does fire tricks, but we've been asked by the Marquis to put those on hold for the evening." The hunter waves breezily. "I'll not comment on the Latian gold, although if you're feeling weighed down by all that money I'm sure there are many who'd help you share the burden."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly, Captain's Cabin
    Captain Jacob Rackham, Vasae, Veldin, Lorindal

Rackham puts on a grin, but his eyes tell another story as he takes another sip of wine.

"It is good that you know your career so well! As a Diplomat, after all, you are indeed supposed to learn about other countries and maintain peace with them.

Thus, and I must apologize to inform you of this, but it seems that you are not quite aware of a rather critical social convention. In my homeland of Tirac, it is nothing less than the HEIGHT of insult to suggest that a man should turn traitor to the country that he is sworn to uphold!

While I am perhaps not the most traditional fellow around, or even the most upstanding, the Flag that flies above my ship is not for show, and neither is the identical one above the infamous Esmerelda."

He takes not a sip this time, but drinks what remains of the glass in one large swig.

"Thus, while I retain nothing but respect for you and your people, I must decline your offer. Further, I would consider ceasing this line of inquiry elsewhere, as well. If word gets around that an Ambassador of the Elven People assaulted and robbed a Tirian Merchant ship, you might as well declare war now. I'm sure Florin might appreciate that, but I don't think anyone else would be particularly pleased.

However, may I give a counter-offer? The tangible rewards may be less grand, but I guarantee you that it would be more befitting a representative of the Elven People."
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2012-06-30 at 11:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194

21st of Amber's Fall,
    Castle Greycourt: Ballroom, Evening

"I can hardly contain my excitement for the show. And, do not worry. We would not wish to burden anyone with the weight of gold."

Castra, Capriano docks
    Regulus' Fortune
    27th of Amber's Fall,Afternoon

The guiding hand of Regulus had favored them with fair wind and tide. The town of Castra was rather depressing. Small with a woodem pallisade and only one dock for big ships. Not that they needed more Castra was normally only visited once a month by a passing Latian trading vessel. The remaining boats, all fishing vessels, were just slid up against the beach.

For the second time in a week Renato was dressed in the fineries of a nobleman. He needed to look the part to get the town's Podesta(chief magistrate) to go along with his unapproved plot to attack the lizardfolk and the only way to do that was to make sure it appeared that noble was here to enforce the will of the Doge himself. The Podesta, one Michele Franatelli, a citizen from one of the minor noble houses rushed to the docks with his assistant to meet the Lord and his heavily armed retinue. "My Lord Benso, what are you doing here?"

"Are you questioning my right as a representative of the Great Council and the Doge himself to go where I please?" Responded Renato with all the authority and venom he could of a noble insulted.

"No...no...of course not my lord. I am just surprised that one of your stature would be sent to our humble outpost. Podesta Michele Franatelli, esquire of House Franatelli at your service, my lord."

"His Grace, the doge and the Council are concerned. Your exports are well below expected levels. I was dispatched to see why." It was true in part. The sugarcane export had been lacking but it was hardly a concern of the Council. There just wasn't enough money at stake for them to care.

"We...we should speak in private at my office." Franatelli stuttered. If he was smart, he would have asked to see his commission from the council to authorize him to intervene, but he wasn't. Perhaps it was the reason why he was sent to this god forsaken outpost to begin with.

The official hall of the Podesta was a three roomed structure. Nothing grand like what was present in the old world. The entry room was a small counting room which probably also served the purpose of a court room if it was needed as such. A small record room, a office and a room with a rather sturdy door which served as a bank branch for whichever minor bank had the dubious honor of beng allowed to hold the banking monopoly here. "The lizardfolk, my lord. They attack us when we try to cut down the jungle and expand our farming. The peasantry are afraid. Many have given up the field and returned to the town."

Renato knew this already from speaking with captains who stopped here over the previous months, but he acted shocked anyway to continue with his act. "You mean to tell me that these primitive creatues are holding you back? This is what I must report to my father, that our so-called brave colonists, the descendents of the conquering Mercian Legions can not stop Lizardfolk?"

"They are vicious monsters my lord! If you do not believe me hear it from the words of the sole survivor of the last attack!" The Podesta sent his assistant running to fetch the man.

Aldo was a man in his thirties, he had seen better days. His left hand was gone at the wrist and horrible scarred over puncture wounds worked their way up arm. After the proper formalities were exchanged, just Aldo introducing himself and bowing to a rather disinterested Renato he launched right into his tale "We were out at the last markers before the jungle chopping the trees to burn and make way for new farmland. Everything was fine. That night, that night though when we camped down they came from the darkness. They killed everyone! Biting, clawing, clubs, spears! My Lord! One latched onto my arm I managed to pull away but he bit right through the bone! Only by the blessing of Regulus was I able to survive! They're monsters, we can't win, they'll never..."

"Enough," Renato cut him off with a wave of his hand. He switched to talking Maran, the language of the Mercians so that only he, his cousin and the Podesta would be able to understand the rest of the conversation. "I will not tolerate this nonsense to be brought back to the Council and his grace. We will crush this tribe of Lizardfolk by force of arms and lead them in shackles back to Castra. That should give your people a backbone and serve as a symbol of fear to any other tribes hiding in his putrid jungle. I need you to provide me with 2 dozen fit men to execute my course of action."

"My Lord! I can not! No one will agree to it! Are you sure this is wise? There must be some other way."

"Do you dare defy me, esquire? I speak for Latium itself and the Council. My word is law. You will either provide me the men and work with my plans or I will obtain them myself and report your disobedience back to my Council and his grace himself."

"My apologizes, my lord. I will do as you say."

"Good. We march in the morning."

to be continued...
    Last edited by LongVin; 2012-06-30 at 11:25 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

"Perhaps it is the wrong question you are asking of these men, Sylvie." Coralia's glance slides from Blake to Renato and back again. "For surely, the question should be: what man is willing to admit to having virtue for sale? A woman's virtue, or her 'virtue', are both valuable commodities. But a virtuous man, unless he is a knight, holds little respect in the eyes of other men."

She pauses, and her eyes flash.

"I have, after all, never heard of a dowry being offered for a man's hand. It is always the men doing the offering for a woman, and sometimes simply on the assumption of virtue..."

Another pause, and then a slow smile.

"And another question to ask would be what is 'virtue' to a man...? Surely my Lord Benso's response would be far different from my good Captain's...but both would be fascinating to hear."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

"I would say virtue is that about ourself with which we define our positive aspects. Society may demand that a woman's virtue be placed where it can be bartered, but society holds no true power over the soul, only the mind. And what is virtue but the pure expression of ones soul? If one remembers this then man or woman their virtue cannot be taken from them. And those who would try either find no value in it, or do not understand it. In essence the most noble of acts is one of willpower; the determination to hold yourself to what you believe to be good in the world."

Jonathan's smile was warm and kind as he entered the conversation. Bowing politely to the ladies; his smile flashed into a sharper grin as he made eye contact with Rayle. Clasping hands first with Blake and then with Renato he spoke once more.

"It has been a long time Captain. I do hope I find you in good health? Turning to Odette he continued. "But where are my manners? Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jonathan Hearth, and you must be the lovely bride to be."
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

"In the land of free voting men in a Republic we do have a system of dowry's for men. Though we do not call it such. It is an adoption. A rich house wanting to have more citizens and thus more votes will pay a sum for a man without citizenship or sometimes even with from another house to marry into the house. And, the adopting house will pay the house a hefty sum and then pay for the cost of citizenship for him and any offspring he produces. Though, this is rare and the traditional dowry for girls is much more common."

"Now, as for virtue. As a Latian Knight I am bound by certain codes of honor to which I must abide. My House and the Serene Republic come before all else. If, we are to consider other forms of virtue I would not wish to bore you with a university lecture on the varying forms. Though a view of the ancient concept of virtue is everything must be about balance. If you look at courage one can not be a coward, but one can also not charge headlong into an enemy army alone as that would be foolhardy and suicidal. We must all strive for the middle ground between excesses from either vice or too much of a noble trait."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall

Oh what a delicious turn of events!

Lorindal had until this point sat fairly quietly, rather comfortable really merely listening and drinking from the generous glass of wine he'd been given. Revenants certainly weren't diplomats by normal standards, but there were perks in following prestigious individuals around at times, he found. Even though it should be considered bad news, the pale elf was grinning widely by the time the good Captain had finished informing the trio of their mistake. Well, the Ambassador's mistake, Lorindal would say, but he refrained.

Doing his best to keep a soft chuckle under raps, he sat up straighter, gesturing broadly with a gloved hand towards the Captain.

"You must of course forgive us, any insult was unintentional, I'm sure..." He proceeded, eyes flickering towards the young Ambassador briefly before he returned his smile to the man. "...Please do tell, I am curious to hear this counter proposal. I'm sure we all are."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

Blake's eyes widened incredulously as Renato and Jonathan launched into their explanations. Say what you will for pirates, but they will at least avoid giving lectures at a party.

"Peace, gentlemen! I'm quite sure the Marquis did not arrange this fete in order to bore his cousins with the ponderous philosophies of Latians and Mages. If we wished a lesson on national morality, there is quite a fine library nearby."

Returning Jonathan's handshake, Blake plucked a flute of champagne from a nearby servant before he slid closer to the lovely Florin women.

"Suffice it to say that a Latian will sell anything, even themselves, but feel wholly wretched for the money in their pockets, and a Mage will do anything so long as they think it right."

At the dig at the Latians, Lucrezia hid a chuckle behind her hand in the practiced fashion of royalty, while Khallra failed to restrain a snort of derision. Leaning in closer to the ladies, Blake gave another piercing whisper.

"One wonders why Latians are so upset when you take their gold, if it is such a curse. Though I suppose their hate for it explains why it can be claimed so easily."

And then Arabella was making her introductions, showing a marked lack of courtesy that all in Blake's crew recognized. But Blake only smiled, nodding politely.

"I was under the impression Ms. Bancross was the charmed one. To have two charmed ladies working together must be truly extraordinary."

Taking a sip of his drink, Blake raised an eyebrow at Arabella's comments.

"But miss, you seem to have mistaken my crew's intent in their celebration. Were it truly so wretched upon the sea, none of them would e'er return - no, what you see tonight is simply the joyful embrace of the new. Life at sea is demanding, true, and filled with danger, but it is free."

Blake spared a glance towards Odette, his eyes unreadable.

"Upon the water, there are no masters of a man's heart, only the master of the ship. And no man is tied to a ship save by his own decision, his desire for wealth or escape or adventure. Fire cannot hope to defeat a ship with a stalwart crew, for how can fire consume freedom? And there are no dalliances upon the sea - only passion, without chains or bonds to sully it."

Then Coralia spoke, and Blake's eye became playful.

"True, my lady, I've seen no virtue in men as the bards would describe it, but all men live by a code, and mine is simpler than most. Stay loyal to my crew, and my ship. Be a fair captain to all under my command. Never cheat someone you respect, and never abide by fools with delusions of power or knowledge. Bring ruin to those who make themselves your enemies, and prosperity to those who make themselves your friends. But above all, my virtue is to live as a free man."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2012-06-30 at 07:47 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall

Vasae looks honestly rather surprised, holding up a hand after a moment when Lori glances at him. “I also must insist that there was no insult meant, you know me much better than that. I was not even aware the ship flew your flags but if I may head you off Captain? I believe I know what you’ll be suggesting. You’re going to ask me to help you get the ship back? I must admit, I am happy to do so however you do understand that a member of the Elven Confederacy aiding a known criminal in Florin and even the wider world would look like the Confederacy may be taking sides.” He finally takes a sip of wine, murmuring a little to himself at the taste though collects himself quickly.

“But, two Revenants could do as they please with little repercussions and an Elven Pirate well...the Confederacy may very well just look the other way if there was at least a little payment exchanged. So Captain, I suppose a new offer has to be placed on the table. I came to you with the knowledge of this ship, how much is the aid of three highly trained Elves to you?”

21. - Top - End - #201

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

"I was right..." Coraline's fingers tapped her full lips, idly. "The answers are interesting. Some of them predictable, and none wholly believable, but interesting nonetheless."

And as quickly as her interest had risen in the subject, it fell again, and she looked up into Blake's face once again. It was such an odd face...handsome, but strange, set-off. A hand lifted, almost as though the young woman was in a dream, and delicate fingers brushed over the smooth metal of the eye. A curious expression crossed her face at the feeling; a shock, like that of touching a metal doorhandle after rubbing your feet on a carpet. But it was...odd, and warm...and after a few seconds she pulled her fingers away, rubbing them idly together.

"Such a strange thing..." The words were murmured, and Coraline examined Blake's face. "Interesting, and strange. The eye matches the man, it seems...for such a fearsome Pirate Lord as you are rumored to be would surely have cut me down where I stand, were he to have a weapon."

A slow smile, a flash of...something--was it cunning? No, surely not, in this strange and demure girl--that was gone again before it even existed.

"I wonder...if I asked you how you got it, would it be an interesting story...? And if it was, would it be true?"

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Ballroom, Evening

"It could be true from the captain's point of view - but the view of the open sea is a bit different from the captain's cabin than, say, a slaver vessel brig - where passions are, I assure you, well restrained and sullied by all manner of bonds." Rayle leans against the nearest bannister, wondering when they'd get around to dinner. "It's the part of adventuring and sailing that everyone leaves out. For every man standing majestically at the helm of a mighty vessel, there are at least thirty smelly crewmen around him sweating and grunting."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

24th of Amber's Fall

The Captain can't help but show a grin as the Elven Ambassador quickly backtracks. Still, he continues with the utmost civility.

"No offense was taken, and I am aware that you are likely wise enough to avoid intentionally suggesting that a man commit high treason. In other news, you are correct about the nature of my proposal, though I should probably note that Florin has likely never even heard of me and nobody really cares about what the Orcs of Sasana think."

A good-natured chuckle follows that quip, of course.

"I have few funds at my disposal at the moment, but the very fact that you are aware of this more or less guarantees that at least a small number of Pirate vessels will attempt to raid the Esmerelda. This conveniently takes said vessels away from the protection offered by Wayfarer's point, making them fair game for capture and later resale.

Further, if our joint efforts were to successfully save the crew, my own focus would be to tending to their needs rather than accounting for the cargo, since there is a chance that"
    *AHEM* "Pirates may have escaped with choice bits."

Well, that's a fairly subtle way to say that he'd be willing to "overlook" mild looting.

"In any case, the pirates of the Crossroad Isles seem to operate largely on a might-makes-right system, so defeating crews and selling their ships back in port not only will make a tidy profit, but bring respect rather than resentment.

Any thoughts?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

Sylvie's eyes narrowed, quickly growing bored with everyone waxing philosophical. She'd had time already to finish once glass of champagne and snatch another from the serving tray before Blake had finished his lecture on... well, she'd quite forgotten what point he was trying to make by the time he'd finished. A look passed between her and Coraline over the rim of her crystal flute. She suddenly gasped in mock offense and announced with a demure hand covering her mouth, "Mon dieux! Mon cousin brave pas pour on parle le Tirique! Il déteste! Hommes cultivés, ils parlent le Florais, non?"*

Elise giggled loudly at the new game.

Anyone who hasn't already identified Floran as a language their character speaks may make an Intelligence/Education/Well Traveled roll. A 12 means you speak Floran completely, and neither academic language nor idioms escape you. 10 means you speak it fluently. 8 proficiently. 6 and the language is familiar enough to understand the gist of most things being said, though you speak it slowly and haltingly. Less than 6 and you can scarcely understand what is being said.

* - "My gods! My cousin will not stand for us speaking Tiric! He hates it! Cultured men speak Floran, no?"

~ Current Score ~
    Blake: +1
    Jon: +0
    Renato: +0
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2012-07-01 at 02:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening
    Lucrezia

Perhaps it was merely because she stood behind Blake's impressive figure, perhaps it was because she did not choose to speak until now. Regardless, the half-elven woman walked around the young captain, finally revealing herself as a pearl does from a finally opened oyster. For brief moments, her beauty had finally given away its secretive presence, flooding the room like a fine perfume; the armoa was lushous, intoxicating, and heavenly. Slowly, she revealed herself entirely as the shimmering hues of light ecentuated every slender stroke and curve of her lithe form. Her dress shimmered and folded across her, like waves of the sea itself. Its sheen was the palest of silver blues, individual drops of clear freshspring waters gathered and woven into its enchanting cloth. Contrasting the dress was her raven hair, coming down in waves from her head, distinctly covering her left eye like a veil. Beneath this midnight curtain, two ivory spires of poignant elven ears poked through, silver anchors keeping them weighed down in this sea of black. Her porcelain face turned to look upon the lady Coraline first, looking upon her directly with crystal blue eyes. Deftly they turned to look up at Blake, particularly his one eye which shimmered with the worlds most valued commodity: gold. It was a mirror of the sun, taking in light from all sources and directions, only to have it shine with the grandest and brightest of intensity. Lucrezia turned one last time to Coraline, finally letting loose words of silver across her tongue.

"I doubt any woman could invoke such a tale from him; even I could not compel his voice to sing me this song."

Her small, miniature ocean of an eye peered long and deep into Coraline, until Lucrezia gave bu the faintest of smiles.

"Still, I don't think brushing your fingers into his eye would shed any light on the matter, don't you think?"
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Wayfarer's Point, Docks
    The Fanged Barnacle, Captain's Quarters

Clive shrugged at the man's reply.

"Maaaan, I guess I talked too much again, huh?" he said with a grin. "And just when I thought I had nailed my lines this time," he added before laughing.

"Happy hunting, my good man!" he said while leaving. He gave a wink and a meaningful wink at Tomin as he passed her by and left the ship.

Oh, crud. I messed up that one. And I don't think I made myself convincing enough for that quartermaster of theirs. Might as well just wait. Else, I've no choice. It's gonna be a chase.

...or you could sneak in aboard whatever ship they take and just go from there.

...you really want me dead, don't you?

Hey, I'm actually being nice and helping you out here. If you just used half your wits instead of looking at hers, you' would have thought up of something more persuasive.

...Shut up!

With nothing else to do, he made his way back to the inn.

"Hey, Non! Guess who's in town?" he called out as soon as he entered the inn.

Wayfarer's Point, The Sleeping Mermaid

He had arrived a bit early, and as such he had to look for something to pass time with. The natural course of action for such a man as himself in a tavern was to drink.

And drink he did. Crashing with a group of sailors, he talked and laughed and drank like he always did. He was used to drinking alone, but this was of course more fun, and more informative. He had known a long time ago how information, sometimes vital ones, loosely passed through drunken mouths.

About an hour of useless chatter and drinking had past when the familiar figure of Tomin White emerged from the thresholds of the tavern and ordered a drink. Excusing himself from his newly-found drinking buddies, he approached her.

"Ha! It seems you have been quite taken with my charms, miss. Why, are you following me around now?"

27. - Top - End - #207

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

It took a moment for Renato to switch to Floran in his mind. The language was similar to Latian and they had a common root. He was good in Floran, not amazing. He much preferred Latian or Maran the official language of the court but Floran could do in a pinch. "Truth! Tiran, a language of rebels and has no place for a formal ball. We might as well be speaking driftfolk like savages then!"

His cousin Amedeo let out a laugh and added additionally in Floran "Why not speak the language of the ancient mercians than? A more noble tongue there is not." The two Latian nobles quickly clinked their glasses together followed by the rest of the officers of his crew. Latians were proud of what they viewed as their direct connection to the ancients and the modern day.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt, Ballroom

Rayle shakes her head - she could speak Floran, but she wouldn't catch many of the subtle references. Unfortunately, "speaking a language that everyone at the table could easily understand" was not among the virtues famed Floran hospitality. "You're very quick to dismiss entire nations and peoples, Lord Benso - especially when some of the guests could easily be counted among the 'rebels.' That would go against that balance you spoke of earlier, would it not? Unless, of course, you're balancing your knowledge of Latian politics with ignorance of the world's cultures." She chose not to inform him that the Driftfolk tongue was far closer to what the Ancients spoke than virtually any other language on the planet - she could tell it would be a wasted effort.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2012-07-01 at 01:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Halfling in the Playground

24th of Amber's Fall
    Veldin, Captain Jacob Rackham, Vasae, Lorindal

Veldin looked vaguely …disappointed? to receive wine, but drank it with gusto nonetheless. Alcohol was alcohol. He just rolled his eyes a bit when Vasae smirked back at him after insisting on the ridiculous 50-50 split. However, he had no such manners as Lorindal when it was revealed that the Ambassador had been planning to raid a ship belonging to a compatriot of Captain Rackham.

He burst out laughing.

It was a short burst. Loud, sharp, and hoarse- with a dangerous lean toward being uncontrollable. But he did clamp his mouth shut, recalling that he still had to perform to a payable caliber, and resumed his drinking with renewed interest. He was eager to watch the diplomat worm his way out of this one- and worm he did! Veldin shook his head a little. The elf did it well, and Veldin had to admire work well done, but it was this worming that made him hate politicians to a man.

He listened with undisguised interest for the first time as the Captain laid out his counter proposal, and the subtle comment authorizing looting (with moderation) was not lost on him.

He opened his mouth, the words ‘We’ll do it’ clearly forming on his lips… and then remembered that it was the Ambassador’s job to make the decisions. So, he turned his gaze that direction and attempted, apparently, to bore the words into the young elf’s skull with his eyes.

30. - Top - End - #210

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening

Coraline's eyes flicker upwards to the half-elven woman; she was beautiful, yes, in appearance...her remarks, less so. The young woman tilted her head, watching Lucrezia curiously for a moment that seems a bit too long, before she speaks in flawless Floran.

"I touched the eye because I wished to touch it, not because I felt it would hold great secrets. And I think the captain is able to answer for himself whether he wishes to tell me a tale...or not."

Returning to Tiric--for she knew not how many of the guests spoke Floran, or if the man she was addressing did--she offered up a small smile to the captain once more.

"What of it, then? Will you tell me a story? I do so love stories."
    Last edited by hi-mi-tsu; 2012-07-01 at 06:31 PM.