New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Playground 4: SAN Overboard!

21st of Amber's Fall, Castle Greycourt, Ballroom

Renato turns to the entertainment of the night "I mean no disrespect my lady. I have no personal grievance against any of Tirac, they use our banks and trade in our ports like any other. But, it can not be denied that they are rebels. Nor, can it be denied that in any Floran court the use Tiran would almost certainly be taken to be an insult. And, we are a guest of a Floran noble and in his court."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening
    Lucrezia

Lucrezia only recognized a few words of Florin aidst her speech. As for the subject or the content of her words, it was a mystery. She would have to remedy this... perhaps lessons of Floren while sparring with Captain Blake? Regardless, she chose silence over another comment, choosing to instead listen to what Blake had to say. As doubtful as it was, perhaps a crowd of people was all that was needed to get him to loosen his lips. She too turned to the Pirate Lord, half-expectant of some kind of witty response. It was in his demeanor to do such.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

3. - Top - End - #213

B]Capriano
    28th of Amber's Fall, Morning
    [/B]

The soldiers of House Benso marched proudly out of the city and into the countryside of Capriano led by their Captain and Lt. Many were happy to finally be off the ship and away from shipborne tasks and finally able to perform their primary duty. Pikes and muskets gleemed in the sun. The two dozen settlers behind them could not share the same enthusiasm. They believed they were marching to their doom. The farmers they passed looked up from their work and felt apprehension. When the men went last time to chop down the jungle the lizardfolk attacked and burnt many farms down over the the next few nights. They feared there would be a repeat of those actions.

After a few hours of marching they reached the edge of civilized lands in Capriano. The signs of last month's battle could still be seen dotting the field. The colonists set about cutting down the trees which were to be used as a makeshift defensive stockade for the soldiers. The soldiers meanwhile dug some deep pits. It wasn't entirely clear why, but for some reason their leader wanted to capture some of the beasts alive.

Before nightfall the stockade was built and bonfires were placed at a distance 100 yards out to warn them of any approaching foes. The soldiers slept in shifts to keep watch for the soon to be approaching lizardfolk. When the moon was high in the sky the sentries gave their first warning! "Lizardmen!" The soldiers sprang into action. Pikemen ducked behind the stockade, weapons lowered, they waited for the command to leap up and present a wall of steel. Musketmen formed into 3 lines and loaded their weapons.

"Hold!" Ordered Renato as the beasts charged forward. 75 yards...60..."Hold!"...55....50! "First rank! AIM! FIRE!" A thunderous volley slammed into the first ranks of lizards dropping them down. Renato discharged his own pistol in the mix. "First rank. Kneel, reload. Second rank! Aim! Fire!" More lizardfolk fell as others took their place. Others tumbled into the concealed pits dug by the Latians as the third rank fired.

The three ranks managed each other volley before the enemy were too close upon them in approaching the stockade. "Fix bayonets!" Yelled Renato and the men slammed the plug bayonets into their riffle muzzles. "Pikemen up! Fill ranks!" The pikemen leaped from cover presenting a wall of steel as the musketmen rushed in to fill any gaps with their muskets now serving as spears.

In heartbeats the Lizardfolk were on them lunging at the barricade with their own crude spears and clubs. Melee was engaged. One pushed aside a pike and leaped the stockade. Maw wide open towards Renato. His pistol went up. The beast was undeterred trying to take his hand. Perhaps, it was the one who took Aldo's hand. No matter. He would not get his meal. The pistol fired sending solid lead down the creatures throat and out the back of its head exploding in a disgusting spread of scales, blood and brains. Drawing his sword he raced towards the wall hacking and slashing at approaching claws and spears. The pained hissing of lizards were intermingled with the screams of men. Sword and spear versus club and claws surrounded Renato. The lizardfolk were losing decisvely but they were putting up a fierce fight. Renato had to give them credit for being determined.

The battle did not last longer than 10 minutes but left the men exhausted as the last of the surviving foe fleed back into the jungle. Moans of the wounded both man and beast filled the air. Men worked their way through the ranks trying to aid the wounded where they could. Some were just too far gone and had to be put down humanely. The same was done for the Lizardfolk, not out of any altruism though. Captain's orders were any that could walk reasonably were to be chained and brought back to Capriano. The plan had become clear. Renato would take them for slaves to be sold at market. The peasants had the unenviable task of trying to rope and net the lizards trapped in the pit. The creatures snapped and lashed out with everything they had, but they were soon muzzled(not without injury to their trappers.) and bound ready to be marched off. Renato was not done yet though. Far from it. He had plans to march into the jungle and eliminate this tribe once and for all now with their warriors gone it would just be the elderly, young and females for the picking.

Later that day...

After a few hours rest the soldiers formed up once again and began their trek into the jungle. The signs were clear which way the beast's village were and the men were prepared to wreck havoc. In a small clearing they came upon them. The last of the warriors were on edge. They were too few in number to make a difference once the Latians pounced. It was madness. Muskets rang out as soldiers charged forward. The last of the warriors fell in minutes and then it was easy pickings...at least as easy it was possible when facing a foe with natural weapons such as fangs, claws and a powerful tail. Using ropes, nets and clubs they beat down the survivors lashing them and tying them together as huts were set on fire and clutches of eggs were collected.

Renato was rather disappointed with the whole ordeal. He had heard tales of the Lizardfolk possessing vast wealth of gold and silver. While he found some rings and necklaces amongst the shamans and leaders it was clear these were not natively produced and merely imported from somewhere else or are much, much older from a bygone era. The only other artifacts they found were some stone tablets with a strage, cryptic language carved into them. Generally useless to him unless he could get them deciphered. Hopefully, at least it would lead to a greater treasure. At least he had his slaves for now.

They left the village in flames, their slaves chained and shackled on a forced march to the ship. The clutches of eggs and the few other valuables gathered dragged behind on makeshift sheds. It would be a fine prize indeed and they would bring in more than enough to pay for his cannons.
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall, Evening
    Castle Greycourt, Ballroom

Jonathan seemed to grow paler as the language shifted tongues. And the perceptive may have noticed the ring around his finger seemed to glow brighter than the lights reflecting off its surface would account for. In truth such a slight change was quite an impressive level of control. For the language had opened a floodgate inside his head. Old memories came bubbling up of a time where different words were spoken. Only, and Jonathan was quite sure of this, they did not belong to him. Quietly Jonathan cleared his mind; pushing the invading thoughts away and returning to the conversation at hand. He used to know these words, every graceful touch and nuance. And yet it was all wrong, as if the words had been cut apart and rearranged. With growing horror he realized his understanding of Floran had been corrupted with the speech patterns and rules of Fleurais. Or at least he suspected it was so. Having his basic pattern recognition thrown for a loop was just one of the fun side effects the ring had brought him.

"Ah but my dear." Jonathan began with what he had. "Everyone knows the truly civilized speak the old tongue. Are you familiar?"
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt: Ballroom
    Evening

"Is there a statute of limitations on rebellion?" asked Lucien's voice from the stairway (he spoke in Tiric for everyone to understand). He came trotting down, delicately balancing two wineglass half full of this evening's selection, a pinot noir. The bottles were already opened and breathing, but he wanted the approval of his friend.

"It's been nearly a century since his majesty's troops have had one toe inside of Tir. Whether Florin does or does not recognize Tirac's sovereignty isn't important. The king could declare a pot of mustard to be his heir; it doesn't make it so. Though, admittedly, I would take offense to being twelfth in line for the throne behind a condiment..."

He passed one of his two glasses to Blake and muttered quickly, "roast boar with onions in an apple cider."

"I can think of worse monarchs than mustard. I imagine mustard would maintain the treasury and assume a neutral stance in foreign affairs. Of course, not everyone likes mustard, but it's happened more than once that everyone hates the king."

Sylvie and Elise both giggled, beaming at their lord cousins' arrival. He never took himself seriously and everyone else less so.

"Is it true you speak ancient Maran? I've been trying desperately to find someone to aid me in translating these tablets... and I am so sorry my cousins are boring you with their ingénue ideas about language and courtly manners. Floran ladies should be better company than stone."

Lucien had locked Amedeo in his sights for a second only to fix Sylvie with a look of mock pride.

"Sylvie, your lady mother will be overjoyed to learn you've finally mastered your native tongue! But, if you want to show off in front of our guests with a skill you've not had since birth, may I recommend the piano?"

Sylvie's cheeks burned crimson. Towards the foyer, the guard captain snorted with laughter only to immediately feign interest in a potted plant.

"The best language for conversation?"
    he mused after a sip of his wine, "I speak to my gods, my lovers and my servants all in Floran. My bankers speak Latian. And I speak to my bankers so often I've begun to count 'uno, due, tre...' in my head!"

He lifted his glass to the Latian party with a grin.

"Pirates speak Canti Mari, and to them I say, 'Ne en la vizagon!'*"
    Lucien shielded his face from Blake and mimed lurching away from a blow.

"Of course, my horse spoke only Sylish... and I trust a good horse more than women, gods, servants, bankers and pirates all."

The marquis's self-satisfied smile was only partially hidden by his glass as he finished the contents.

*Not in the face!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

As the conversation turned to Floran, Blake crooked his finger ever so slightly. While the Ismar native had never had reason or desire to learn more than a few common phrases of the landlocked tongue, Amon Din was fluent in all the languages of trade, and was at his captain's side in an instant to translate. The low flow of translated Floran only stopped once, a catch in his throat as Coralia placed her finger upon Blake's golden eye. But the tension only lasted for a moment before Blake raised his hand to gently brush aside Coralia's finger. As Lucrezian interjected, he shot her a sly glance.

"Peace, ladies. Lucrezia, I know better than to fall under the sway of your siren song - men who underestimate you have the nasty habit of dying on my main deck."

Returning his attention to Coralia, the pirate lord appraised the strangely beautiful woman. There was something unsettling in the gaze, friendly though it was, as it seemed to cut through appearances in search of the heart of things.

"There are a dozen stories surrounding this eye, my lady, each more impressive than the last. Some say I fished it from a mammoth oyster, others that I stole it from the hoard of the sea gods. A few even whisper that 'tis but the first step in my earthly form becoming that which I lust after."

He blinked, and the curious stare was gone, replaced by a simple attentiveness.

"But such stories are for the comfortable warmth following dinner, when the sun has descended and the sound of waves echoes through the night. If you can wait until then, my lady, I promise you a story truer than those others."

It seemed he might continue, before Renato and Jonathan spoke and Blake nearly choked on his drink.

"Gentlemen, might I recommend putting some thought to your words before insulting our fine hostesses? Jonathan, what possible reason would any civilized lady have for a language that has been dead and buried for centuries? And Renato, before you swell up to greatly with pride for the language of old and forgotten conquests, you should remember one thing - compared to the Driftfolk tongue, your Maran is but a child's babbling."

Finishing his champagne, Blake deposited the flute in the tray of a waiting servant, his grin fierce as he waited for the two mens' responses. But then, Lucien had appeared, and Blake seemed to dismiss Renato and Jon entirely. He nodded to Lucien as they passed, taking the glasses with the practiced ease of an old friend.

"Ah, I have missed the comforts of a true kitchen."

Swirling the wine in his glass with surprising grace, he breathed deep of the wine as Lucien began his verbal fusillade. As Lucien flinched away in mock terror, Blake saluted his host and took a sip, rolling the thick purple liquid over his tongue before a languorous swallow.

"Exquisite as always, my friend. But tell me, where else do you expect us to strike when your tongue is one of the deadliest weapons in all the Isles?"

Blake and Lucien exchanged cutting smiles - this was obviously not the first time they'd dueled wits.

"Well, I suppose any weapon will do when everyone else is unarmed."

"I thought you'd lived long enough in the Isles to realize that I'm never truly unarmed."

As Blake finished, a flash of lightning pierced the evening sky. As thunder rolled over the ballroom, the others realized there were no clouds in the sky, as Blake and Uriah shared a conspiratorial wink.

"Now, it seems you've been kind enough to leave me with an extra glass, but it would be dreadfully rude not to share this precious vintage. My lady Elise, the night is yours as well as your cousins' - would you do me the honor of joining me in a toast to the evening?"

Blake bowed slightly, offering up the crystal glass to the fifteen year old girl.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2012-07-05 at 10:48 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: GuyFawkes: how do you want to continue these conversations? I can try 2 days, but it is difficult.)

Wayfarer's Point, Bukiya Inn
    22st of Amber's Fall, Morning
    Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Non nodded. "Yes, I was [catering] a dinner last night. It was an emergency, so I helped." She said with [self satisfied] expression.

Myst and Non looked at each other and smiled. Non pointed to the side room.
    "The collections are my biggest achievement. My blacksmithing has become quite well known, and a little skill with the gunsmithing too. But of interesting people? We have many kinds. The great pirate lords sometimes, like Captain Blake. We also have musicians, poets, merchants, travelers, fishermens, soldiers, adventurers- have you heard of Rayle Bancross? We have been lucky to meet her. It's a stable lifestyle, but so many people come that it isn't boring. I love to hear stories. They say a kraken was killed 2 years ago, but recently drift-folk were saying it returned to life.
    I have even heard a story about ghost pirates, but I don't know if it is true."
    Non said, to look at Myst, who agreed.
    "Yes. Ah, you should meet the Owl." Myst suggested. Non smiled.
    "Yes, the owl was a wonderful gift."

"Of curious incidents, it was said that there were a new group of elves and an ambassador." Myst said.
    "Yes, his name is Vasae. And he is a very wonderful elf." Non agreed.
    "But it was said some of them are very dangerous and can fight. I don't remember the name."

"Yes, but it doesn't mean anything to me. I don't know about Elf titles and their culture very much. Of course they would have warriors! Everyone has weapons here. Maybe they will buy something at the Bukiya Inn? I hope I can spend some time with Ambassador Vasae. Maybe he can explain that." Non said with a content expression and tea.

"I think that is all." Myst said.

25th of Amber's Fall, Morning
    Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show

Entering into the Bukiya Inn, a certain owl statue is strangely missing from the right side. Also to be missing, Non and Myst can't be seen. It is quiet, no one is downstairs at this time. Maybe they are in the shop? It's a little strange. Every day so far, one of them is here.

21st Day of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Early Afternoon
    (Morgus - Hydranova)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Of course." Non says with a content smile. If she was surprised or upset the discussion was ended so quickly, it wasn't shown. She made sure the key was given to Morgus.
    "Have a nice stay!"

Myst looked at Non when Morgus had left.
    "Aren't you going to make him work?" She asked.
    "The pouting face you made all the time to stand there probably means that idea isn't liked by you." Non said.
    "I was not pouting!" Myst argued.
    Such is the peaceful life of a certain sword and ex-adventurer.

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening
    Jonathan - Xondoure
    Spoiler
    Show

Myst looked surprised. "Well, if it is classical states, then I don't know. Of course focus and control is important, it can be seen. But it looks easy to be done by you.

I can command the wind. But that is all."
    Myst closed her eyes and gently held her arms out.
    Nothing happened at first, but she whispered something too soft to hear by Jonathan, and then held her hands together like to hold a ball gently. There was a small breeze in the room, and a small sound like a music note G of a flute to come from within Myst's hands. She held this gently, and released it, a gust of wind to flutter her hair and her dress and to meet Jonathan before to stop. Then she opened her eyes.

"It's not very much." She said reluctantly. "I don't want to hurt you or the room."

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt, Evening
    Non and Jonathan

Spoiler
    Show

Non looked unsurprised to see Jonathan, with a familiar content smile. She bowed and then displayed the white uniform for Jonathan.
    "Good Evening Jonathan! It is nice to see you too. The meal is ready, but I'm afraid I don't know when it should be served."
    Non holds her hands together to make a prayer symbol.
    "Sorry to bother you, can you help? The main cook is asleep, so I have been doing this job. Is Lucien available? Maybe you can ask him for me what time, and then to tell me secretly? I'm sure everyone is very hungry, but I prepared warm foods. It is autumn, you know! So I don't want them to become cold."

(OOC: Please tell me if a post was missed! Thank you!)
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-07-03 at 02:54 AM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

17th day of Amber's Fall
    08:00; Bukiya Inn
    Vasae, Non, Myst

Vasae gives a polite nod though finishes his food swiftly, quite surprised that the humans could make something both edible and tasty all at once. He said his good byes to the pair before moving back into the city, a little more full and excited than before.

24th of Amber's Fall
    Wayfarer's Point, Plunderer's Folly, Captain's Cabin
    Captain Jacob Rackham, Vasae, Veldin, Lorindal

Vasae chuckles though nods, only giving a glance at Veldin from the corner of his eye long enough to stifle him. “It seems we four have come to an agreement. I believe my informer said he’d be coming when I’d found a ship. I place myself and my people in your hands. The last time I did it we only got shot at a few times. What’s the worst that could happen?” he laughs, standing with a bow. “We thank you for the wine, Captain, until three days time?”

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

22nd of Amber's Fall, Morning

"Mmm, yeah, so I saw last night, that Blake," he said in between chewing. "Don't seem to look as bad as they say. Ya know, I expected much more of a...an ill-tempered, scar-riddled, battle-hardened sea dog? I mean with all those terrible things they say about him, ya know? If it weren't for that eye of his, I wouldn't even recognize him," he added before he laughed.

"And that Rayle Bancross goes here too? Maaan, you're really quite famous now, aren't ya?" he added after his laughter subsided. "Say, is she as charming as they say?" Clive asked with a grin.

Hearing about the story of krakens and ghost ships, Clive replied. "Krakens? Ghost ships? Wow, I see you've had your share of weird people coming here as well," he commented with a chuckle.

When Myst mentioned the owl, an eyebrow raised. "Owl? What owl? Wonderful gift? From whom?"

"My dear, darling Myst. If you are fine with serving rum to a pirate lord, then I am sure you would do just as well around Elven Revenants," Clive interrupted, before laughing again.

"Vasae? Wasn't the elven ambassador's name something like...A...A...ah, I forget. Anyway, they got a new ambassador, eh? I'd sure like to meet him. I think he wouldn't mind if I went with you when he calls for you, yeah?" he said with a grin.

After he finished all of his food, he downed the rest of his soup in one go. "Ahh, that was goood! Thanks for the food, Myst! Truly scrumptilicious!" the young man beamed at the inn-aide. Turning to Non, he asked. "Sooo, do we go to the workshop now, or a bit later?"

"Huh, weird. They're not here?" Clive mumbled as he headed for the counter. He checked to see if there was a note left regarding their absence.

If he could not find anything, he would go and check the shop.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kasanip: Sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured this won't be a long scene for this day.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Barbarian in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

"I can wait, for a tale. Impatiently, but...something tells me the rewards will be the greater, for it." The words were murmured to the captain, almost too low to hear. Coraline shifted, then, her gaze twisting away from the Captain and to Lucien instead; something very like a smirk crossed her face, for a moment, before settling into a slow smile as she spoke to him in impeccable Floran.

"If I teach your horse to count in Floran, will you trust it to do your banking? Or perhaps you should elevate it to lordship...after all, who will argue with a counting horse?" A laugh, and she finally spun away, to move through the crowd and alight at the man's side.

"You should not tease Sylvie so, she tries very hard to improve herself in all things." A small smile, directed at her "cousin".

"Or perhaps that was a veiled suggestion that some music was needed, to cut through the language lecturing? Such a droll subject, for a celebratory party. I almost preferred the argument about virtue!"

11. - Top - End - #221

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

Renato responds to the counts taunt about the speaking of Maran before his cousin could "My lord, in Latium everyone of the noble houses is taught the language of the Mercian Empire. It is what keeps us connected to our past and guides our future."

Capriano, Castra Docks
    28th of Amber's Fall, Early evening

The chained lizardfolk were brought back to Castra in victory. The foul beasts were pelted with rocks and refuses as they were pulled through the streets. The citizentry would have surely murdered them all if it wasn't for the soldiers keeping them back. They had a job to do and if the commoners got to them, it would be their asses that were caned by the officers.

The Regulus' Fortune wasn't a slave ship and neither Renato or Amedeo were slave catchers. Luckily for them one of the sailors had previously served on a slaver vessel and knew how to secure their "cargo." Forcing them in the lowest level of the ship, ankle deep in filthy water. They had no idea how to feed or give the lizardfolk water in this time without endangering the crew itself and Renato was not willing to take that risk or the risk of a possible uprising. The creatues would just have to hope the trip only lasted the usual day and not any longer.

In the meantime, Renato began recruiting amongst the able bodied men in the town to replace his loss of soldiers. Pickings were slim and they would need to be trained while aboard ship but the few men who came forward at least would cover the men killed or injured in the raid.

Wayfarer's point, docks
    29th of Amber's fall. Afternoon

For the second time in a week the Fortune pulled into Wayfarer's port. This time picking their docking spot purposelly next to another Latian ship. Renato had need of them to send a message and a gift to his father. Bringing out a sole lizardman, a locked box containing the jewelry they found, the carpets(which Renato had no need for) and a letter presenting his gifts to him most notably the latest addition to the zoo menagerie. After negotiating with the Latian captain for a few minutes over the cost of payment for the rather unusual cargo they were ready to depart for the stage of their business expedition.

The lizardfolk were waiting on the docks. Shackled and tied by arms and legs with ropes around their necks to lead them on. Soldiers stood on either side of them with pikes, muskets and swords keeping them in place and prodding them along through the streets of wayfarer's point to the auction house. Townsfolk hugged the walls or darted down side alleys to get away from the monstrous possession. No one wanted to see just how long those chains and shackles would last as the beasts snapped and hissed at their masters prodding. The slave broker himself was shocked himself when he saw what was brought before him. Not sure exactly what he could do with the beasts. Renato and Amedeo, but mostly Amedeo being the skilled negoitator he was smoothed things over that with the proper discipline they could easily be used as guards and without as gladiators for the games. And, the eggs! The eggs could be raised to do anything when hatched just so much that discipline was instilled early and often.

With gold now in hand the first course of business was divying it up amongst the men. While technically they were to be paid by House Benso on their return to Latium Renato had no idea when they would return to their beloved city and he needed to keep his men happy. If it involved spending a little gold now it was better than facing a mutiny out at sea. Then, it was time to get his cannons...and his conquests could really begin.

Accquiring cannon advantage for Renato's ship using July advantage.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Castle Greycourt
    Evening
    Lucrezia

Lucrezia smiled lightly to her Captain, leaning all so slightly towards his direction.

"That was a one-time event Captain, and I was fortuitous to win that battle."

Her cool smile soon turned to a sly one.

"But compared to me, your obituary list eclipses mine in comparison."

Pleased with herself, the sumptuous lady took a sip of what drink resided in her hand. Her eyes moved away from the party for a moment, looking over the crown of people towards the room where her weapon was kept.

I wonder how Aquarius is doing... I hope he's not too bored.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Wayfarer's Point, The Sleeping Mermaid
    25th of Amber's Fall, Evening

Tomin sighed before turning to confront her new business partner. "I will say this once so allow me to make it very clear. I like my job. I like the Barnacle. And I hate the man who is taking my crew to the Esmerelda more than both of those combined. So should you have an alternative worth listening to I may feel inclined to stick around. Should you not..." Clive heard a click as Tomin's gun pressed against his chest. "Well, I can't have you spreading any rumors about the unfaithful quartermaster, now can I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    9 and Clive's got a gun pointed at White but the whole bar is watching. 10 and Clive's able to have a gun pointed at White without the bar being aware. 11 and Tomin doesn't realize she's at a standoff until Clive chooses to enlighten her. 13 or higher and you can rewrite the end of this scene with Clive stopping her from getting the draw on him. All of these would be easier, but you had him get drunk first.

21st of Amber's Fall
    Non and Jonathan

"Of course. But surely Lucien isn't going to leave you stuck in the kitchens all night. It isn't everyday the isles has a party like this. Why, I hear Rayle is going to perform for us, you can't miss that!"

21st of Amber's Fall

Jonathan was beginning to remember why he had never liked these sorts of affairs. Everyone was out to make fools of everyone else, but to admit as much was the biggest blunder of all. He could play this game should he choose, but he'd much rather make it one with higher chances of success.

Spoiler
    Show
    DarkDM I'd appreciate it if you removed the bashing of Jon unless the fine captain is fluent in Fleurais. Once that is sorted out I'll be able to continue adding to the conversation. (which will hopefully be less chaotic)

20th of Amber's Fall
    Bukiya Inn, Evening

"Not at all Myst, that was very impressive. To create sound from air pressure like that is no small feat. You are quite skilled." Jonathan said beaming with excitement.

"Of course the classical states don't just represent the elements. Energy, gas, liquid, solid, they represent both the states of matter and mindsets necessary to control the flow of magic. You see one must be able to- but I'm getting ahead of myself. We came up here so I could tell you a story. Not bore you with esoteric lectures on arcane theory." Calmly he poured the tea for both of them. As he took his seat Jonathan flicked a hand towards the fire which flared up for a moment restoring warmth to the room.

"But where to begin? Well, I guess you could say it all started four years ago..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Stay tuned for the holiday special. Brought to you by Jade Tarem!

Oh and Kasa, I don't know the inn, so as I'm now realizing if there isn't a fireplace or stove in any of the individual rooms, Jonathan will simply keep a fire lit hovering just above the floor next to the window.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

Sylvie had offered a confused smile to Jon as he spoke in halting Floran, but elected not to correct a slip of grammar when Lucien appeared.

Lucien nodded with slightly absent consent towards Renato. He'd half expected a riposte, but the courtly reply was, well... properly courtly if not particularly interesting.

As Coraline drew to his side, he slipped an arm over her bare shoulders and whispered back loudly, "If I can teach a horse to count, I'll let him handle all of my affairs, including reporting to His Royal Highness Dijon."

He would entreated Coraline the piano if the duke hadn't been approaching with Odette gingerly resting her fingers at the crook of his elbow. Lucien bowed lowly and quickly. Edward was easily subdued with such niceties.

"May I introduce His Grace Edward Brant, the Duke of Dalshire. He and sweet Odette will be married upon their return to Valand! Isn't that wonderful?" his voice cracked on the last word.

Elise meanwhile rolled her eyes and took the opportunity to slam back Blake's leftover pinot noir.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show

Myst's face darkened but Non laughed. "Captain Blake isn't mean to Bukiya Inn. But it is true there are lots of bad stories about him." Non said mildly.

Of the Owl, Myst quickly trotted over to the door, and a certain large native decoration has an owl statue to sit on it. It is a little like a real owl in appearance, but there are two sapphires instead of eyes. Myst admires it closely, and then gently picks it up and carries it to the table to show to Clive.

"This is the owl, maybe we should make it our mascot. It was given to us by a friend from the Adventurer's Guild. It's rather cute, don't you think?"
    "His name is Arukumedez." Myst said proudly.
    "But he doesn't walk either." Non said with a fox-like smile and wink.
    "But he does move." Myst said. "I make sure he can experience all of the areas of Bukiya Inn."
    The pleased expression of Myst who holds this statue lovingly can clearly be seen that it is something she treasures.
    Non gestured for Myst to put it away. "Clive is eating, and I don't think he wants feathers." She said lightly.
    Myst put the statue away.

At the end of the meal, Non stands up and Myst begins to clean dishes.
    "If you are ready!" Non said.

[Workshop]

To arrive into the shop, of course many swords and items can be seen. It is a collection Non is very proud of. And it has become very fashionable since Clive was here.

"This one is Exshia. He's a good child, but only likes to pretend to be a spear.
    This one is Mirage. She is fast, but can't reach very far.
    This is...."

Myst began to talk about the names of all the swords while Non opened the workshop door.
    The workshop itself is small and clean. Like a blacksmith, of course it smells like iron and fire. table has several guns to sit arranged. They are polite and nice designs, but of course Clive has seen better guns.
    Myst normally names things." Non admitted. "But I can't say they are finished yet. I didn't know you were coming, but if you would like to name them, I don't think Myst would be offended."

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Approaching the counter, a note can be found.

The writing is Non's handwriting. It says

Temporarily closed for shopping! Please ring the bell for Inn-aide assistance. Please watch warmly and wait.

Even to finish reading this letter though, soft footsteps can be heard.
    "Ah, Clive. Good morning. I heard someone come in." Myst said, to appear from the other door next to the kitchen. It of course goes to the living place of Myst and Non. She looks different today, without her headband on, her hair is free and she doesn't have the apron for the uniform on.
    Myst looks cautiously to see there is no one downstairs but Clive, and then to step out and close the door. She isn't wearing boots or socks too.
    "Sorry, Non went to buy some supplies this morning. Do you need something?"

21st of Amber's Fall
    Non and Jonathan

Spoiler
    Show

Non laughed politely. "That sounds interesting! But I can't be seen by the guests. I'm not nobility, you know. And if they see a cook come to wear a pretty dress (if I can find one!), probably there will be trouble. So please deliver my message! I will have the food be put on the tables."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Right then, let me get my stuff upstairs. I'll meet you back here in a few," he replied as he stood up from his chair. "Thanks again for that wonderful breakfast, Myst!"

Inside his room, Clive immediately went for his bag and hung it over his left shoulder. He then got his pistol belts, wrapping his cloak around them to conceal them, and carried the bundle with his left arm. Once he was sure he didn't drop anything he needed, he headed for the door, closed it behind him, made sure it was locked, then headed downstairs.

"Alright, let's go!"

[Workshop]

"Ahh, it's been a while. Kinda nostalgic," he said with a smile as he gave the workshop a once-over. It was the same old workshop where he taught a very eager Non to make guns four years ago. The smell, the look, the feel. But at the same time, it was different. The placement of the tables and equipment are a bit different than it was before, for example. And while everything was clean and properly maintained, the thousands of hours Non spent there making new weapons or repairing old ones were evident.

"No, no, no. I'm not too good at giving names. I'll leave that to Myst," he replied with a smile.

"So these are the ones you made, eh? Not bad. Not bad at all. You surely have learned quite a lot, considering I only taught you a few weeks," Clive spoke as he made his way to the table. He placed the bundle he is carrying on the table and picked up one of the pistols. He held it up and inspected it, running his fingers over the details.

Clive put down the pistol then took his bag from his shoulder and placed it on the table. He opened it and took a smaller bag which he placed on the table as well. Opening the bag showed lots of tools he used for gunsmithing. Taking out a flat screwdriver and a small pliers, he again took the previous pistol and started disassembling it.

Once he had disassembled the gun, he inspected the separate parts, and, finding no fault, proceeded to reassemble it. After placing the hammer screw back in place, he loosened the top jaw screw and place a small piece of wood he got from his tool bag, then tightened the screw back. He then guided the hammer from half-cocked position to fully cocked, closed the frizzen, and pulled the trigger. Satisfied with how the mechanical parts moved, he removed the piece of wood and placed the pistol back on the table.

"I don't see any problems with it. Nice workmanship. Your master is very proud to have you as his student," he said before bursting in laughter.

Clive then took the bundle he placed on the table and unwrapped it on another table, revealing his pistol belts. He took off the pistols and placed them neatly side by side, a total of eight flintlocks. All looked fairly similar to each other. The stocks were made out of ebony wood, polished to a shine, inset with intricate patterns made from silver. The barrel and lock mechanisms were wrought of black steel, and the trigger guard was similarly made from silver.

"Now these are my pride and joy. You might remember these ones," he pointed at four of the pistols. "I already had them four years ago. These four," he pointed at the newer looking ones, "...I made when I went home. These are the ones I was talking about."

He picked one pistol up and showed it to Non. "It's made of this new steel that my master developed. Stronger and doesn't heat up as fast, making more accurate and powerful shots possible, longer lifespan for the moving parts, and less prone to breakdowns. Also, I've done some modifications my master taught me to lessen the noise and smoke when firing."

Spoiler
    Show
    "Why are you walking with your bare feet?" he asked while looking at Myst curiously. "Never mind that. Just came back to pick up my things. Bumped into Rhadamanthus this morning. Well, you know what that means. I'll probably be gone for a few days, so tell Non that for me, will ya?"

Spoiler
    Show
    "Whoa, whoa, feisty, aren't we?" he quipped while holding up both of his hands in mock surrender. He pressed his chest against the muzzle of her pistol and moved his face closer to hers. "Is this how you treat all of your business partners?" he whispered, the strong smell of alcohol issuing from his mouth. He smiled and backed away in an instant, turning to the bartender.

"My dear good man. Give the lady another round of what she ordered. And I'll be collecting her bill."

Turning back to Tomin, Clive sat down beside her, rested his chin on the back of his hand and continued. "Now where were we? Ah, yes. My proposition. It's simple. I provide you a ship, whose captain you do not hate, you bring us to where the Esmeralda is. Me and my buddies get an item or two that we need, the rest you can split up between yourself and the ship's crew. Easy enough, yes?"

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

"And which ship would that be?" Tomin asked. Her gun had sunk back into it's holster, but her hand hadn't left the handle.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

24th of Amber's Fall, Morning

The sun begins to rise over the docks as most fishermen begin another day in their life. For some, their days and jobs begin earlier. The rays of the sun is the indication that Drallic's time for fishing is up for the morning. Hauling a fish-filled net almost as big as him, the minotaur slowly but steadily climbs out of the water. Droplets moves and falls down from his fur. It is difficult to dry off as a minotaur and their fur smells after water sticks to them long enough. After a decade of swimming experience however, Drallic hardly notices such concerns. The minotaur does wait a half hour to see how much water the sun and air can dry him up. Today is one of the days where he has to make a delivery. His small merchant stall won't be open today; he considers it a "day off."

Air blew little this morning, so Drallic is still a bit wet as he travels down the street with the large fist net over his shoulder. Having been at Wayfarer's Point for years, not many people turn to give off a weird look at him. Those who are new to this place may see Drallic as a sore spot among the populace. It didn't matter much either way; no one would really turn a weapon at a minotaur unless they were sufficiently skilled or stupid.

Around 06:00 hours is when Drallic arrives to the Bukiya Inn. Another order of fish is in order and this is the usual time he arrives. Sometimes Drallic needs to get back to his stall shortly after to open it for the day. This isn't one of those days, so he has time to his leisure. Drallic lightly opens the door, walking through it without having his net break as it squeezes through the opening. "Mornin' Non!" His voice rings out his free-spirited and relaxed mood as he enters. His two words are enough to let Non and Myst know that he's brought the fish; he is never empty-handed when he arrives to his customer's place.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    21st of Amber's Fall
    Evening

Sylvie had offered a confused smile to Jon as he spoke in halting Floran, but elected not to correct a slip of grammar when Lucien appeared.

Lucien nodded with slightly absent consent towards Renato. He'd half expected a riposte, but the courtly reply was, well... properly courtly if not particularly interesting.

As Coraline drew to his side, he slipped an arm over her bare shoulders and whispered back loudly, "If I can teach a horse to count, I'll let him handle all of my affairs, including reporting to His Royal Highness Dijon."

He would entreated Coraline the piano if the duke hadn't been approaching with Odette gingerly resting her fingers at the crook of his elbow. Lucien bowed lowly and quickly. Edward was easily subdued with such niceties.

"May I introduce His Grace Edward Brant, the Duke of Dalshire. He and sweet Odette will be married upon their return to Valand! Isn't that wonderful?" his voice cracked on the last word.

Elise meanwhile rolled her eyes and took the opportunity to slam back Blake's leftover pinot noir.
    Renato appraised the man as his feet naturally came together snapping to attention. He didn't really have the appearance of one of good blood and breeding, but one could never jump to conclusions. They man could be as sharp as a tack and master strategist for all he knew. And, it was truly a shame such a fine example of beauty as Odette was being auctioned off to such an unremarkable looking man.

His body dropped into the appropiate height of a bow. "A pleasure to meet you my grace duke. Renato Benso, Captain of the Guard of the the most honorable and noble house of Benso, Knight and Patrician of Latium. At your service."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Asmodeus View Post
    Hassar's shark grin widened, clearly pleased. His grin did not waver, but he did tack on an addition to his comments "I must ask if my stellar marksmanship is the only standard by which I'll be judged. I hope I don' come across as dishonest if I admit that, practice aside, I haven' exactly been usin' my carbines for years. Can be a might hard to get practice with gunpowder under the water, if ye know what I mean."

"Fair enough. All I want to make sure of is that you'll hit what you aim at - and not hit what you don't, too,"
    Kessia answered, shrugging, and taking another sip of her wine. "If it turns out you're not up for killing, we can always find some other work for you, or, if nothing else, drop you off back in port."
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-07-06 at 09:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post

"Fair enough. All I want to make sure of is that you'll hit what you aim at - and not hit what you don't, too,"
    Kessia answered, shrugging, and taking another sip of her wine. "If it turns out you're not up for killing, we can always find some other work for you, or, if nothing else, drop you off back in port."
    The Merrow's grin widened yet more, so much so now that his face started to lose some of the humanity it seemed to had, his grin and the glint in his eyes less gregarious, more predatory. "I'm not one to judge my own shootin', but if there's one thing I'm up for... is' killin'."

That said, he nodded his head, the pleasant look returning to his face, though his grin did not shorten. "I'll see you at your ship then, firs' thing t'morrow."

One more tip of his head, and he squeezed his way out the front door, his fish tail undulating as he crawled something like a snake, but with his fins helping to push him along.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Castle Greycourt, Prior to Dinner

Rayle blinked at the awkward silence that followed. "That is wonderful! Perhaps, my gracious host, we should be seated? From the smell, I can't imagine dinner is far off."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Clive snatched the tankard of ale being carried by the bartender on a tray, brought it to his mouth and drank, taking his time doing so. When he finished half of it, he brought it down on the table, burped loudly and wiped the froth stuck to his lips with the sleeve of his cloak.

"Ahhhh! That hit the spot!"

Without looking at Tomin, he replied. "The Dirty Hangman. Quite a rambunctious lot," he chuckled, "but I heard they're the fastest ships around. Available ships at least," Turning to the quartermaster, he leaned in and added, "...you wouldn't happen to have a problem with their captain, would you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I seemed to have read yours and thought I had replied already, so I was waiting for another post from you.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Clive - GuyFawkes

(ooc: I'm sorry for slow response. It has been busy and I don't know about guns, so it was difficult).

Spoiler
    Show

Non of course waited politely with some excitement. She didn't look nervous, but of course she was secretly. The praise of Clive to her made Non smile and laugh with some relief.

"Thank you, master!" She said. "Oh my, I was more nervous than I thought! I am afraid that I didn't improve such a design, but tried to make it as best as I could. Honestly we don't sell many guns, but have been repaired many."

Non looked at the guns of Clive with interest. "A new steel? I see! The design is very pretty. Is the accurate and powerful shots because of the steel? The design doesn't look very different than the old ones. In other words, if I use a better steel, the gun becomes a better weapon. It seems sensible. Swords are the same way." Non said. She was prepared to continue, but Myst looked through the doorway with a dour expression.

"No it isn't! Swords are made with care and prayers as well. You know this Non! 'To hammer one thousand times like a bell's supplication to the gods,' it is the rule that a legendary blacksmith must follow."
    Non sighed. "I Know. Myst. I know." Non turned and whispered to Clive. "Myst thinks swords are always superior to guns. She...well, she loves swords." Non tried to explain.

"I can hear you." Myst said with an annoyed voice from the doorway. "But you don't disagree?" Non asked lightly. "I think it is true. Of course swords are superior to guns! And you think so too." Was the accusation of Myst. Non can't fight such a petulance and prideful Myst before Clive, but it reminds of a purpose.

"Ok, I am sorry Myst. Yes, I think swords are better too. It is better to admire a beautiful sword than a gun. And Myst is beautiful too. Can you take care of the Inn? I want to work with Clive for a while." A [mollified] Myst agrees.

Non turned to Clive again with a small laugh. "These are beautiful. Please show me some more techniques how I can improve. But is this all of your weapons?" Non asked. Of course, she was asking about a certain gun to be carried by Clive.

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Myst looks self-consciously at her feet and comes to the counter to hide them.
    "I-It's my home! It feels nice on the carpet." She tried to explain with a red face. "I wasn't... ah... It's not important. Please don't tell Non. " She said, to recover.

To hear the name Rhadamanthus and the leaving of Clive, Myst looked a little surprised, and nodded.
    "You will be leaving again?" She asked. "Yes, I will tell Non. But..." She stops, and then looks hopeful and determined and serious. "Will you return soon? Non will be sad to not say goodbye. Please don't make us wait four years again! And bring Rhadamanthus next time too!" Myst said. She paused, and held out her hand with some effort, a certain tattoo is visible. "Promise!"

For Myst, a promise is something to be treasured. For Non, who made a pledge and promise to Myst, it is the most important thing in the world. To swear by a sword holds such a sacred meaning. And for Myst, who wished for Non's happiness, desired then to make Clive make this promise on herself. Though certain selfish feelings of a compass rose sword could be content that a promise was made to Myst as well.

For Myst, who knew Clive was a come-and-go adventurer, not unlike Non who carried her, and whom she felt they would meet again, any such a parting was a sad time. But time often is like this, through the eyes of a sword. To see and bring the end of many things. But for Myst, this was the first time in a long time that she was sad like this.

She would be strong today and tell Non properly. Non wouldn't show her sadness, so Myst would not as well.

Drallic - Starsign

(ooc: I am sorry for slow response)
    Spoiler
    Show

Entering into the inn, there is the smell of maple wood. It is sweet, and nostalgic, and fights strongly against the smell of fishes. For Drallic, of course it is familiar, to come to Bukiya Inn often with his business. A certain owl statue is missing it seems, but Drallic has noted it disappears sometimes.

The room is decorated with some different artifacts. A native wooden statue of an owl is in the corner on a shelf, and a tapestry of a war from sometime is above the fireplace. There is a worn and polite carpet to welcome guests too. The maple must be from the statue probably. There are decorated flowers in some places around the room.

A small copper bell rings when the door opens, and it can be seen in the inn that there aren't any customers right now. The young woman who is cleaning the bar has long black hair and a green bow to tie this ponytail. She is also wearing the blue and green colored apron and uniform. Of course it is Non, who sees Drallic and smiles.
    "Good morning Drallic!" Non said. She makes an apology with two hands together. "Thank you for coming! I'm sorry I couldn't come for the market these last few days! It's been very busy for us! How are you?"

At the sound of "Drallic," the gold-hair and uniform wearing Myst looks from the open kitchen door. "Ah, good morning Drallic." Myst said with her precise words. "Would you like some eggs and sausages? I can prepare the fish instead, if you would like."

Non opened the door to the back pantry. It is a little small for a minotaur to enter, but maybe Drallic is used to human buildings.

21st of Amber's Fall
    Non

(ooc: I'm sorry, I don't know what intention of Nefarion_Xid is about meal or conversation. If this is bad time or not proper manners, please forgive kindly)

A voice announced itself warmly and politely at the door, revealing Non in her chef uniform with a proper bow for such an occasion.

"Please excuse this interruption. Dinner is prepared and waits for your attendance." Non said, with a familiar content smile.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2012-07-10 at 02:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, in a way. The stronger steel allows one to use higher amounts of gunpowder for stronger stopping power. And since you have a stronger material, more delicate modifications can be done, such as these ones I made for properly venting your smoke, making aiming easier."

"But of course that's not all there is to it. Using stronger steel means you can't work it in the same manner as you would do a softer one, so that means you have to learn new techniques to work the new material."

"And lastly, there are lots of things to improve the gun. My master's on the brink of completing the formula for a more potent gunpowder, able to provide more energy with less amount used. That would mean less recoil, making shots accurate."

Clive's lips curved into an earnest smile. He really talked with a passion when it came to guns. Perhaps one reason why he wanted to teach Non was to have someone share that feeling he had with guns.

When he saw Myst's straightforward answer about choosing between guns and swords, he laughed. "If it came down to a debate about guns and swords, we would not finish. But then again, it's a matter of preference and circumstance maybe. Back when I was a kid, I used to love playing around with sticks pretending they were legendary swords and I was a legendary knight of justice!" he beamed at the girls.

"Imagine me, a legendary knight of justice?" he could muster to say before breaking into laughter. "But yeah, that was then, this is me now. I guess what really changed it for me was my master. I kinda saw how passionate he was when he talked about guns and taught me stuff about it, and I guess it stuck with me," he finished with a shrug.

"Well, it's not about the type of weapon, eh? It's how you utilize its potential," he winked at the Myst who seemed to calm down. "See ya later, darling!" he waved as she went back to watch the Inn.

Clive began arranging his tools when Non asked about him having other weapons, making him stop. He knew what that meant. But this time he did not jump the gun.

"Oh, you mean this?" he reached in inside his shirt and took out a very unique looking pistol and placed it on the table as well. It was made from polished ebony, inlaid with intricate golden patterns. On its handle were ivory grips embedded into the wood, carved with sharp lines and designs, and a familiar wing design could have caught Non's attention. The barrel was made of a metal that had the luster of gold, though it should not be gold, since gold was very soft, and would not be able to handle the pressures generated.

"My master gave this to me. Told me it was a special gun. Well, after having used it for quite a while, I can't seem to see what he meant." He looked at Peacemaker, then laughed. "Oh yeah, her name's Peacemaker."

Spoiler
    Show
    No worries about the gun bits. I'm just making up half of the stuff there, so yeah.

Clive holds her hand firmly in both his, and looks Myst in the eye. "Hey, I told you I'd be gone a few days only, okay? I promise." He smiled tenderly. "Not about bringing that guy though. Heck, if I can tell him to do anything," the young man laughed.

Letting go of her hand, he continued, "Anyway, our traveling arrangements have still not been fully planned out, so I still might have time to drop by anytime today, maybe even stay for the night. Depends. But in case I don't, then please tell Non." The gunslinger turned to go upstairs. "I'll be getting all my things, and I'll leave the key on the desk, so you don't need to wait for me."

Arriving at the base of the stairs, Clive stopped and turned back towards Myst. "I didn't notice it before, but Myst sure has lovely feet." He grinned before starting up the stairs again.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Drallic takes in the sweet maple wood smell that hung over the inn. Of his time spent at the docks and in the water, such an aroma rarely comes to him. At the inn he smells it all the time, but everywhere else it is a lot rarer. He notes the artifacts and items around the Inn before looking to the owner. He breaks open a kind smile and nods his head as he is welcomed in. "Ain't a problem comin' here. Can't stay in my stall all the time, can I?" Depending on the day, Drallic can find himself selling fish at his stall all day. It is hardly the most fascinating of jobs and having to do it all day will tire his brain out of boredom. It helps for the minotaur to be able to move around Wayfarer's Point and beyond so long as he isn't scrambling around multiple areas on the Crossroad Isles.

Drallic takes a look towards Myst as she appears. He makes sure his fish net isn't knocking anything over as he playfully winks with his working eye. "Sausage, eggs, fish; don't mind whatever it may be Mysty." "Mysty" is Drallic's friendly nickname he likes to use when in few numbers like now. He has a nickname for quite a few people he has met before. He enjoys using them so long as the nicknamed isn't bothered by it.

Drallic takes great care as he tries to fit himself into the back pantry. Such human-sized doors are a nuisance to get through for someone as tall as himself. Drallic can recall the first time he had to manuever through a door of similar size; his horns tore the wall above the door. Here he is more careful, making sure there's plenty of space ahead before bending over and moving in horns-first. Getting the fish net in is more difficult, but doable so long as brute force isn't used. Trying to force the fish-filled net through a door causes the net to rupture and spill it's contents all over the floor. Instead Drallic plays it slow and carefully to bring the net through.

"Well, now that that's done," he begins as he sets the fish down where he usually does. "How're the boys doin'? Heard they arrived at the Point not too long ago." By "the boys" Drallic was referring to Clive and Jon. He has seen and met them several times at the inn before. Drallic doesn't know either of them well enough to call them "friends" but are well-known acquaintances to the minotaur.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kasanip, GuyFawkes, and Xon, if any of you might have an issue for how well Drallic knows Clive and Jon, (basically he knows Clive is a gunsmith and Jon is... Well pretty much nothing at the moment. I need to see if you're alright with Drallic knowing Jon uses magic) please let me know.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-07-09 at 11:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Drallic - Starsign

Spoiler
    Show
    Non took to begin to arrange the fish into [icebox], but gave some to Myst for the kitchen. "I understand to want to leave a shop! Sometimes it would be nice to go adventure from Bukiya sometime." Non says. "But at least I can get to the market sometimes! How is business?" Non asked politely, while Myst disappeared to prepare food. Non counted the money for such a normal payment, and also to pour tea for Drallic. Most table and chair can't be used maybe, but there is one table for such an occupant and hard stool with cushion. Sometimes minotaurs and other races do appear, of course.

Myst reappeared with food. Cabbage wraps egg and fish and some sausage to be seen as well. To think of food of a minotaur, maybe it is this kind of feeling?

(ooc: I don't know about minotaur food. Doesn't minotaur eat human? It is hoped friendly diet can be eaten.)

Of the questions of Drallic, Non answered with a content smile and cleaning the bar.

"Yes! Clive is back, finally. It has been four years, so I am happy to see him again. I am sure he will be happy to see you. And Jonathan! Always to make surprising entry, but he is here and there,"

"If Non wants to travel, maybe you can ask Drallic if you can go to sea in the morning? Probably we wake up at the same time." Myst suggested. Non smiled.

"I am sure, but I don't want to bother his business! And if we went, the customers will be troubled."
    "Arukumedez can watch the inn."
    "No, he can't."
    "Yes, he can."
    "I think it's better to have a reliable and useful, loyal friend can be relied upon for such a task." Non said with a fox expression.
    "Well, I am more reliable and useful than Arukumedez." Myst agreed. Non nodded with agreement.
    "Yes you are. But we don't want to hurt Drallic's business, so we won't make such a request."

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah, I see. Your master must be an alchemist and a gunsmith! You must bring him to Bukiya someday!" Non said.

Certainly a debate about guns and swords would be awkward for Non, but maybe enjoyable to watch a passionate Myst argue with Clive. But it was better to not have such an argument. For Clive to make a comment about legendary swords and justice seemed to help to mollify Myst too.

For Myst, who left to go to the Inn again, it was the thought of Even the gun wielding Clive wants to wield legendary swords! and a victorious self-satisfied smile is to be worn as she works in the inn this morning.

For Non, to see the gun she gasped with surprise. Looking closely at the weapon, to compare skillful making, it was clearly beyond the guns of Clive combined. But it wasn't what she expected. Somehow, to think if it was an artifact spirit, that it would resemble Mystletinn some more in some ways. But it was a gun, not a sword. And somehow that made sense. Mystletinn could change shape, like to become a human. Could Mystletinn take the shape of a gun? Would she look like this?

Non wasn't sure, but to think of Mystletinn earlier, she would hate to be a gun probably.
    "She is beautiful." Non said while examining the gun.
    "Peacemaker?" She asked. Thinking about the legends of the Compass Rose swords, there wasn't one named Peacemaker. However, even Mystletinn had a nickname.
    And the design on the gun somehow was familiar. Non looked at it closely. It wasn't the same as Mystletinn's, but it was similar in enough ways to wonder.

Should Non call Myst to come and look? If Myst saw, then she would know. But she would probably also react like before. Non felt a part of herself become afraid. She had protected Myst for almost five years now. The Bukiya Inn life was interesting and peaceful. But to see Clive to carry a weapon that was probably like Myst, shouldn't Non have continued to travel too? She could have protected Myst and continued to be an adventurer. Couldn't she?

"It's a beautiful name for a gun. And of course she is special!" Non said with a smile. Then she asked. "Has... Peacemaker ever talked to you?" Non asked.

It was a strange question, and Non knew it was suspicious.

"Because... well, there are legends about this kind of thing, you know? Have you ever heard of.. The Compass Rose Swords?"

Clive - GuyFawkes

Spoiler
    Show
    Myst's sapphire colored eyes looked into Clive's eyes and she was persuaded.
    "Ok. I will tell Non, of course, and wait here until you leave. I should watch the Inn anyway. Please travel safely." She said.

Myst managed to maintain composure with only a surprised look at Clive's last comment. When he left, she sighed and rubbed her cheeks.
    Humans are unpredictable. Even to have lived with Non for so long, it is still surprising how quickly a conversation can change. And Clive is the most unpredictable.

"Rescue of Arukumedez"

Clive had left, and a dutiful Myst wrote a note for Non. Of course Non would be at the market for some time. And yet it was a slow day. Myst had been entertaining with the carpet and idle tasks. But a bored sword who must protect an inn looks lazily and anxiously for something to do. A quiet inn is a peaceful inn. But for an inn-aide who is a useful sword, to dust the collections carefully, and then to clean the tables again.
    Myst looked around the room with a thinking expression. And then she realized with horror that the owl with sapphire eyes, Arukumedez, was gone. He wasn't in the collections. He wasn't in the bedroom. He wasn't in the kitchen. He wasn't in the bar.

Hurrying, Myst went to the bedroom and quickly pulled on her socks and boots. She tied them precisely and quickly, and to forget a certain headband, hurried into the inn again.

"Arukumedez? Where are you?" She called out, looking around the room, and then to check the collections room, and the tavern area the second time. But a certain owl statue could not be found.

What should I do? Myst thought with panic. Non wouldn't make a mean joke like this. Clive wouldn't make a joke like this. Was Arukumedez stolen? A few times some things had been taken from Bukiya, but always returned with apology.

But Myst couldn't wait. A bird that is made free won't return to a nest. That is the thought of a bird. So, a bird statue should hold such a philosophy in high value. It is the same way a sword values a sharp edge and shining appearance. Or the way a towel values fluffy and drying nature. Or at least, this is the thought of Myst, who is a sword who values many things.

A certain note from the counter was taken

Temporarily closed for shopping! Please ring the bell for Inn-aide assistance. Please watch warmly and wait.

and added a message.

Apology for Temporarily closed status. Inn-aide is unavailable. Retrieving owl.

Myst was sorry to break a promise to Clive to wait. But if he saw the note, he could understand, she hoped. She hoped no guests would return at this time. But they would understand. Then Myst opened the door to go outside. She wanted to walk gracefully in the sun and maintain control. But actually, she was running with a panic expression. Where was Arukumedez?

Non, Myst, and anyone in Market

10:00

(ooc: If someone would like, a meeting can happen in this kind of place. It isn't [Adventure Ticket], but it is [Scene-Plot]. A one-scene plot. I'm not sure what it is called. )

The market is busy and a normal atmosphere, with the smell of many foods and sounds of shop keepers and merchants who advertise loudly. Fishermen who worked early can sell their foods now, and many different supplies for sailors and ships can be bought or sold. Deals are made and contracts are arranged. It is said even in one special area, there are worse things.

But for most people, to come to the market is a normal thing. Of course one must be careful not to have money stolen, but an ex-adventurer isn't so worried about this. For Non, it is the only way she can have an adventure these peaceful days. And it is nice to come out of the Inn to go shopping.

With a basket, she is buying fruits and vegetables from some farmers, and then plans secretly to buy a new dress for Myst, as an apology for a certain 'accident' happened a few days ago.

The Bukiya Inn isn't so rich, but after a certain catering job, they will be ok for some months.

~*~

Myst was breathing hard, to run from Bukiya Inn to this area. She was frustrated. Why were human bodies fragile like this? For a sword who is not used for some time, of course it is like the feeling of an edge to become dull. And so, it isn't surprising that a dull sword is not good at cutting. So a human of little running practice can't run very well. But a sword that was sharp and becomes dull is regretful of such a feeling. A sword that becomes human cannot sharpen itself. But a human can improve. This thought cannot be understood by Myst, because it is not her nature. Because Myst is a sword and only appearance of a human. So a helpless and regretful feeling, a frustration of unfair differences.

We should have continued training. Myst regrets. But in her fear and panic for the safety of Arukumedez, she is running. She hopes he is in the market, but she also hopes Non, or someone is here who can help her.

"Arukumedez? Where are you?" She calls again, to enter the busy market.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

25th of Amber's Fall, Morning, The Market
    (The Rescue of Arukumedez)

Rayle's morning had been a long sequence of notes. She'd woken up to find a note from Arabella that the other woman had gone out seeking breakfast early - an endeavor that Rayle hoped would be measured in plates and not, for instance, people. Living with a dragon had its drawbacks.

She had gone to the Bukiya Inn, hoping to take advantage of her first chance to talk to Non since the Wraith had arrived four days previously - she certainly wasn't going to go while Blake was hanging around there. It was a long shot, but she didn't fully trust Lucien's or her own translation of the Amatu-related texts she'd stolen, and Non knew a lot of things outside the normal purview of an innkeeper - maybe she could shed some light on the old Sylish text.

But her meeting had been preempted by another note - this one about the inn being closed due to a missing owl and a shopping trip. The other shop she'd wanted to visit concerning the commissioning of a new scabbard had a note on it declaring that the man in charge had found the love of his life on a ship bound for Valand, and was never to return.

While some would take this as an indication that they should return to bed, Elaine had taught Rayle that the first rule of Treasure Hunting was that persistence could trump most setbacks, and so Rayle had gone deeper into the market, looking for the ex-Adventurer. She'd ultimately been rewarded by the sight of someone in the inn's colors running through the streets, and thought it might be Non's ever-present aide.

Rayle was quite good at running. When the alternative was being crushed by a rolling boulder, caught by angry natives, or arrested, it was something you practiced quite a bit. So before long, she was within shouting distance. "Myst? Myst! What's wrong?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Clive watched closely on how Non reacted as he explained about Peacemaker, and as she examined it more closely. He could see there was something in her eyes, like that of familiarity, or something like that. At least he thought so. He really felt there was something there, a connection. With Myst probably? He could only wonder on.

Then came the question that could only put more thoughts into Clive's head.

"Compass Rose Swords? Hmmm...nah. I don't think I have. Are those some kind of artifacts?" he asked. "And besides, Peacekeeper is a pistol, right? How can she be a...a Sword?" he grinned.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Laughing Fish
    26th of Amber's Fall, Morning

Daylight had come. The day before, Morgus had been up all night long, staying awake and doing something involving paint. He had to wait for night due to Holt's men boarding and transporting supplies, but it made no difference. Come Morning, the upper portion of the mast the Crow's Nest was atop was covered in black paint- the lines making out runes of Fulgurmancy, making the mast in question more of an Anti-lightning rod. Morgus, meanwhile, was asleep in the Crow's Nest, can of paint right next to him. A glint reflected off of his upwards looking mask.