New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

No, she gets pregnant if you decline her first offer and proceed with the romance into ToB. Minor ending spoilers follow:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Then if the protagonist decides not to become a god, they live happily ever after with their babies.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I know I've seen the item listed in ShadowKeeper. I assume that she gives birth during the interval between SoA and ToB, so you would have it in your inventory during the expansion. Which begs the question of how Aerie would react if you chucked it on the ground and left it somewhere...

I'm also pretty sure that she only gets pregnant if you sleep with her the first time she offers (which terminates the romance, resulting in Bodhi not killing her).
    It is possible to get Aerie pregnant if you refuse her the first time, and thus continuing the romance. I am not sure what happens after she gives birth.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I suspect the Baby item behaves similar to how Boo does, although probably with a differently worded explanation for why you can't move it.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #874
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

So is this version worth getting if I already own the old games?
    That is difficult question sir. The good thing with EE is that it works in modern computers, updates graphics to Baldur's gate 2 level, updates rule-set to baldur's gate 2 level. Unfortunately old npc remain mostly same which is a big shame. However on upside it shoudn't take long for mods work with the game since developers helps mod makers in their work.

On upside you get three new npc who actually have dialoge with you and I must say that I personally have enjoyed them.

If you thing that three new npc, who are going to be available through whole saga are worth this game and next two games then it's worth purchasing.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I suspect the Baby item behaves similar to how Boo does, although probably with a differently worded explanation for why you can't move it.
    I remember carrying it around for Throne of Bhaal, so you definitely get a baby in the inventory. I suppose it was there for lack of a better way to represent it in-game.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, finished the Black Pits, and as I'm not planning to start the main game until there are a few mods out I'm considering doing a solo attempt at the pits.

What character type would be best to take on the Black Pits alone? Is it even possible? My (spoilered) thoughts are below...

Spoiler
    Show
    The early levels should be ok for a simple hack em up character, but its the end game I'm worried about... There seems to be a level cap (boo...), so the highest we can reach will be level 10. With things like a fire giant to face... I don't exactly favour chances, even with the best equipment money can buy available...
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShellBullet View Post
    dialoge with you and I must say that I personally have enjoyed them.

If you thing that three new npc, who are going to be available through whole saga are worth this game and next two games then it's worth purchasing.
    Wait, are they going to be in cages at start of BG 2 when BG EE 2 is released (normally Jahiera, Minsc are only ones in cages)?

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    So, finished the Black Pits, and as I'm not planning to start the main game until there are a few mods out I'm considering doing a solo attempt at the pits.

What character type would be best to take on the Black Pits alone? Is it even possible? My (spoilered) thoughts are below...

Spoiler
    Show
    The early levels should be ok for a simple hack em up character, but its the end game I'm worried about... There seems to be a level cap (boo...), so the highest we can reach will be level 10. With things like a fire giant to face... I don't exactly favour chances, even with the best equipment money can buy available...
    Kensai dualed into Mage
    Ranger/Cleric
    or
    Mage/Cleric (findtrap disables traps when there are a few)

Because spell protections are common with a few of enemies I thought.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Wait, are they going to be in cages at start of BG 2 when BG EE 2 is released (normally Jahiera, Minsc are only ones in cages)?
    It'll be like Viconia and Edwin, from how I've heard it. You wake up with two dead allies and three horribly emotionally scarred allies, same as always, then you find your actual companions at a later point.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Animastryfe View Post
    It is possible to get Aerie pregnant if you refuse her the first time, and thus continuing the romance. I am not sure what happens after she gives birth.
    Also, having sex with Aerie the first time she offers doesn't terminate the romance unless you say the wrong thing.

She says when she tells you that she's pregnant that if anything kills her, magic that resurrects her will also resurrect the fetus as long as it's part of her. However.

She only actually gives birth if you spend a ridiculous amount of time in Throne of Bhaal; I'm pretty sure that whole passage, including the baby in the inventory, was just put in for the case of some wiseacre inputting 'CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime("WhateverNineMonthsCo mesOutToInSeconds")' and then going, "AHA AHA, Bioware didn't program Aerie ever actually giving birth, lazy sloppy Bioware!"

Also, on the subject of "stop putting romance in RPG games," this is an idea only slightly better, and only slightly more likely to happen, than them stopping putting combat in CRPGs.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-12-07 at 08:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Just stole Icing Death (+3 weapon, resist fire 50)and Twinkle (Requires good, +2 AC, +3 weapon) from Drizzt. Took a few reloads with 80 pick pocket using Safana. Took many more to figure out her carried nothing else.

I didn't feel like killing him (even though his armor is sweet).

Trouble is no one uses scimitars yet... maybe Jahiera hmm (not proficient but +3 is better than she had).

Also did Nerra's quest (left Dorn outside cage since he was too weak, Doren was level 1 when he joined so he has been my archer till he gains a few levels)
    Finished Dorn's 1st quest Kyrll (wasn't that hard)
    Killed Amazons as well (finally Dorn level 2)

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cnsvnc View Post
    They really should stop putting romance in RPG games. Not because they're usually silly or creepy or bizarre (which they are) and most game writers are bad at writing in general and romance stuff in particular (which they are), but because they cause awful romance mods and horrible "fanart" to flood the internet. Rule34 will always be rule34, it doesn't need official encouragement from developers.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. In fact, your reason for not wanting romance in RPGs does not compute to me. Or are you saying you are forced to surf on weird sites if someone creates them?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

12. - Top - End - #882
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I couldn't disagree with you more. In fact, your reason for not wanting romance in RPGs does not compute to me. Or are you saying you are forced to surf on weird sites if someone creates them?
    I think his point boils down to "stop liking things I don't like".

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-01-15 at 09:30 PM.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

14. - Top - End - #884
    Banned

My point boils down to "stop liking awful things".
    Yes, because your opinion is obviously absolute, 100% right and more important than anyone else's.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Yes, because your opinion is obviously absolute, 100% right and more important than anyone else's.
    I prefer we entertain my preferences. So most FPS games, everything console related and all sport games should immediately be disliked by everyone in the world. And I mean IMMEDIATELY. Oh and all Anime and Manga as well.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

16. - Top - End - #886
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I prefer we entertain my preferences. So most FPS games, everything console related and all sport games should immediately be disliked by everyone in the world. And I mean IMMEDIATELY. Oh and all Anime and Manga as well.

You know what, I was going to answer with a post similar to yours and it did sound very funny, but that sounded kind of passive-agressive, so I edited it out.

So, let it be known - not everyone agrees with you, cnsvnc. And that is fine.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-12-08 at 07:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

You know what, I was going to answer with a post similar to yours and it did sound very funny, but that sounded kind of passive-agressive, so I edited it out.

So, let it be known - not everyone agrees with you, cnsvnc. And that is fine.
    You have a point. But I forgot Windows 8. It needs to be on my list.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

He's not without a point, however. It should not be some mandatory extra that has to be tacked on even if it doesn't fit the game. I find that there are several games (Neverwinter Nights 2) where the aspect is handled so clumsily that it's a detriment to the game rather than a bonus. Done well, it's a good thing. Done poorly, it's less so.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Add in a bit of broken windows theory (which is proven in this case by Saerilith or the infamous Tali blow up doll) and it becomes clear why RPG romances should go away and don't come back before writers learn how to do it right.
    Saerilith's romance was done awefully well.
    It is just now adays we aren't into people dating 15 year olds (though even back 100 years ago, everyone would have been cool with it).

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    He's not without a point, however. It should not be some mandatory extra that has to be tacked on even if it doesn't fit the game. I find that there are several games (Neverwinter Nights 2) where the aspect is handled so clumsily that it's a detriment to the game rather than a bonus. Done well, it's a good thing. Done poorly, it's less so.
    Trouble is, he didn't say "Developers should not feel required to include romance arcs in cRPGs," he said romances should never be included. And his argument wasn't "They're so rarely well-written, and sometimes unsuitable to the main story being told," it was that romance arcs in games encourage fans to do things he personally dislikes. The most reasonable conclusion to be drawn is that he feels his personal preferences should be elevated to the status of Universal Objective Standards of Quality.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, I think you're overreacting just a bit, cnsvnc. Sometimes Romance Arcs are poorly done (maybe even often. YMMV), yes, and sometimes they're tacked onto a plot where they don't fit. But that doesn't make them bad. And developers have no real control over what fans do. Also, BG2 is one of the early examples, and the romance arcs were generally handled a lot better than they are in more modern games.

For that matter, "Romance Arcs encourage fans to do things I find disgusting, so Game Developers should stop making them" is a flawed argument, honestly. It's not that far off from, "People use spray paint to create graffiti, so paint companies shouldn't make it."
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    And Xan's a joke character? Since when?
    Speaking only of vanilla game Xan, not what the NPC Project made of him, most of his lines are reminding you of the futility of everything up to and including getting up in the morning, with a deliberately annoying delivery.

I mean, there aren't many NPCs in BG1 that you can honestly say are to be taken entirely seriously, but Xan is right up there with Minsc, Tiax and Alora as far as comic relief options are concerned.

the infamous Tali blow up doll
    Hahaha...what?

Not getting into the argument about romances in general because I haven't kept up with RPGs ever since I gave up on Dragon Age (actually due to bad and insipid writing, but way before I got to any kind of romantic content).

But it has to be said that the apparent compulsion to slap romances on top of every RPG no matter how appropriate lends credence to the point that they are (mostly) awful and at least to some degree pandering to rejects that play through escapist fantasies because they match all the stereotypes and subsequently don't have a lot going on in real life.

Personally, when replaying BG I'll usually check out a mod romance and then abandon it because, yup, it's bad.

Anyway, I've pretty much raced to Baldur's Gate proper, delaying most side quest areas, and recruited Skie in my current game.
    And after saying how overdone I find her spoiled brat gimmick recently, I must say that the NPC Project's writing actually redeems her character to some degree. Of course, you still have to put up with endless complaints about broken nails courtesy of her sound set, but I'm warming up to her.

EDIT:
    What are the mods you can't go without?

For me, I always have the BG2 tweak pack, Sword Coast strategems (for the Ease of Use AI if nothing else- That thing's a life saver), BG1 NPC project, Item Upgrade Mod and Underrepresented Items (Suddenly, choosing which weapon to take is less a matter of optimization and more of personal taste), and the unfinished business mods.
    I think Item Upgrade and Underrepresented Items give you stuff that's way OP. Thalantyr's Upgrades in BG1 as well.
    Apart from that, I install everything you've got on that list plus:
    • ToBExtender
    • the Banter Packs and Friendship Mods
    • Hubelpot (more for the quest than the NPC, although he's good)
    • Tower of Deception (but never, really never with the Ustrain (?) component)
    • some parts of Rogue Rebalancing (definitely not the Chosen of Cyric fight, that is just so dumb)

After that it's pretty much what I feel like. I've been playing with the Item Pack mod (really called just that, I think) and Spell Revisions for the first time, and I think they'll join the above list.
    Wild Mage Additions is in when I want a Wild Mage (no ****). It's probably going to become a mainstay thanks to Neera, unless I decide not to like her (still need to get EE).

There are probably some I'm forgetting right now.

EDIT 2: There are one or two that allow Jan to upgrade his equipment and invent more, those are usually included as well because I love Jan. Not this time around because I'm going to end up with two other leveling Thieves in the party (Imoen and Faren), but usually Jan is at least a temporary member for me and so gets his equipment mods.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-12-08 at 12:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of, does the NPC project work with the Enchanced Edition? I haven't been keeping up with it lately.
    I'm not sure what to make of my Skirmisher kit. The Offensive Spin turns him into a murder machine, but it's once per day. The Defnensive Spin doesn't add much at this level. Meanwhile, the lack of AC hurts all the time.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

Well, you could just give the kit more daily uses.

At least, more Offensive Spins would mean it's easier to make up for deficient defenses.

I don't know what you could do to make Defensive Spin more worthwile, short of changing the ability itself.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Speaking of, does the NPC project work with the Enchanced Edition? I haven't been keeping up with it lately.
    No, although an EE-compatible version is apparently being worked on. Ditto for Unfinished Business, from what I can gather.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Well, you could just give the kit more daily uses.

At least, more Offensive Spins would mean it's easier to make up for deficient defenses.

I don't know what you could do to make Defensive Spin more worthwile, short of changing the ability itself.
    I'll try giving him one more daily use. Maybe in the final version of the kit, it'd start with two uses instead of one, so that low levels are easier for it. Or perhaps it could get new uses ever three levels rather than every four. Or both, although that may be overkill.
    As for Defensive Spin... I think the only thing to do is wait for higher levels. -10 to AC is good even if you only wear studded leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    No, although an EE-compatible version is apparently being worked on. Ditto for Unfinished Business, from what I can gather.
    I see. Hopefully it gets finished soon.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

While BG2 had it much better than the more recent crap in Bioware games, it was still at best tolerable: the stereotypical juvenile fantasy naughty girl, the stereotypical nice and naive girl next door, the bossy widow (who has some freaky undertones if you think about it) and the surprisingly not stereotyped knight in shining armor (who was also an unpleasant person). Then again, it's not bad enough to cause concern.

But the RPG developers are responsible for the awful stuff. It's science!
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    he didn't say "Developers should not feel required to include romance arcs in cRPGs," ... his argument wasn't "They're so rarely well-written, and sometimes unsuitable to the main story being told,"
    Should I have bothered to state the obvious? Everyone knows these are true, it's not even an opinion.
    But it has to be said that the apparent compulsion to slap romances on top of every RPG no matter how appropriate lends credence to the point that they are (mostly) awful and at least to some degree pandering to rejects that play through escapist fantasies because they match all the stereotypes and subsequently don't have a lot going on in real life.
    An elegant description of the root of the problem. I have no idea how this can not disturb someone. On the other hand, arguing is pointless because everyone involved already made up their minds about the subject and that sort of opinion never ever changes by talking about it.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

28. - Top - End - #898
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, finally got done reinstalling all my mods for my copy of the original game. So... Question then... What are the mods you can't go without?
    Ascension. Oversight. Both for BG2; nothing for BG1.

And that's it; honestly I find nearly all other mods to detract from the experience.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

Should I have bothered to state the obvious? Everyone knows these are true, it's not even an opinion.
    Perhaps you could bother to learn the difference between your subjective opinion and objective fact.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Isn't all roleplaying escapist fantasy (especially to the eyes of People Who Don't Like That Sort Of Thing?)

At a loss as to how a pretend romance is any different to a pretend friendship or a pretend bad-ass Swordsman With Attitude.

An elegant description of the root of the problem. I have no idea how this can not disturb someone. On the other hand, arguing is pointless because everyone involved already made up their minds about the subject and that sort of opinion never ever changes by talking about it.
    Take a look at the majority of romances in any media. The majority of them are fairly badly done. And, for that matter, there are large segments of the populace who like that sort of thing (see runaway success of Fifty shades of Grey, or things like Mills & Boons stuff or the inevitable presence of love interests in action movies; the latter of which are almost unilaterally badly done).

Why should roleplaying games be any different? Are we, as roleplayers, inherently superior to unwashed masses or something?

(Well, I know I am, but of course my definition of "unwashed masses" extends to "explictly everything that is not me" because I am a Evil, omnicidal megalomanic.)

It's okay to suggest that it would be better to have no romances at all (and I would say, great, let's ensure we don't confine that to video games and expand that to all other forms of media while we're at it, thanks), and replace it with other, better character interaction; but if we say "okay, but they've got to be decent", it means, as it's a relatively recent feature, they're never going to get good at it if they don't practise and see what works. (And I'm not sure anybody ever has done a really good one yet, especially for a blank-slate protagonists, because it's just flat-out hard to do in that circumstance; people seem to have enough trouble doing it well with developed characters...)

Neither Bioware nor Obsidian have done stellar jobs in that regard - but at least, unlike some, they actually have tried. Arguably, I think the best attempts were in ME trilogy with the ones you started with characters from the first game because they had chance to build sensibly, and with a semi-ordained character that gave them at least some clue what they were going for (and to be fair to Bioware, the friendships you could establish with those characters were extremely well done. The BG NPCs wish they were Garrus!1)

1Okay, unfair comparison, comparing decade-and-the-rest old games (whose writers had less experience with the medium) with the Best NPC Companion Ever2... Heck, it's unfair to compare the other ME characters to Garrus...! (Okay, maybe Tali and Liara.)

2Garrus must be, because he's the only NPC companion in umpteen years of computer gaming that I wrote lyrics for a Humorous Song Parody for...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-12-08 at 03:35 PM.