New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    The promo probably is the legendary guild champion and this will mostmlikely just reduce their price.
    Source on this?
    So far I don't think they have disclosed what card (or even what type of card) the promo will be.

It will take the rare-slot of the special guild booster. So you actually get one rare less out of your prerelease.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Got my Kozilek, Butcher of truth and Emrakul the Aeons torn in the mail today. Using them in a casual eldrazi deck. Wish I had another sol ring and two more Palladium myrs for the deck though.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

The promo is 1) most certainly a rare and 2) the rare (or one of them...) in your in your Guild Pack. I say one of them because they could replace the "basic land." (Why not?) If they gave everyone a game-breaking Mythic, well that will just be really annoying. I hope they don't give out the Guild Leaders since that would reduce the value of opening one yourself, but you never know, I guess.

Fortunately, I can now show my true colors! Izzet forever! By the way, the quiz was very, very predictable, to the point that I could almost pick exactly which questions pointed to which guilds.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #544
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    Wasn't that one ofmthe first things they announced?

What do you mean - affect the format? The promo probably is the legendary guild champion and this will mostmlikely just reduce their price. Which is a good thing if they are constructed playable and kinda meaningless if they are not ;)
    What it means is that after spoilers are up one is going to get identified as the Elesh Norn equivalent of the five, about 80% of the base is going try and pick that as their faction. 15% is going to aim for what they consider the counter to that one will be. And about 60% of the people are going to whine that they got shafted because they didn't get a chance to claim the "good" promo.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

5. - Top - End - #545
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

My Return to Ravnica set review continues!

First Installment:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=514

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Unleash does not strike me as good. I suppose if they undercosted it, it could be not awful, but it seems to work best in an aggro deck. You know, the kind of deck that won't use regenerate.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Source on this?
    So far I don't think they have disclosed what card (or even what type of card) the promo will be.

It will take the rare-slot of the special guild booster. So you actually get one rare less out of your prerelease.
    Soirce: Merely my imagination ;) That is, if you wanted a source on the matter of what the promo will be. They don't want to give mythics away as promo, because of value issues, so it will be a rare. The guild champions would fill the bill as a splashy, most likely not too overpowered card. But, just speculation. It is also possiblet the promo will be a multi land or some kind of mana fixer artifact (you saw that Mox-like artwork on mtgsalv?).

foeofthelance, where are the remaining -65%? :) Keep in mind, this is not confirmed, just my idea about the promo. If they came up with the idea of a playable promom and the guild pack early enough, they probably had enough put into balancingnthemmin Development. Or so do I hope..

Do you people have any other idea what the promo may be? Maybe someone who saw the original Ravnica block? The promo must be splashy, (rare,) exciting and showcase the guild. Guild mages would almost fit the bill, except for being rare and splashy..
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry, breakdown should look like this:

Preset -
    80% Looking for "Good" promo
    15% Looking for "Counter" promo/guild
    5% "Sweet! Prerelease! Huh, metagame what now?"

Actual Prerelease
    25% will manage to get their desired prerelease (factoring for Vorthos)
    15% will get the "counter" they wanted
    60% will whine about the first 25% getting what they were "supposed" to get, and complain that the 15%ers were stoopid over powered broken haxxors.

I wonder if the lack of sleep makes me extra cynical...
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

I just don't like bombs in Limited and wish it was more about building to synergy and stuff. I'm sure I'll enjoy beating people with a low curve and 2/1s for 2 while they try to cast their 7-mana rares, though.

Also, amusing note on the wording of a preview card:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The way the Unleash reminder text looks, it appears that if the creature gets a +1/+1 counter from ANYTHING, it will be unable to block. Including Scavenge. I assume we'll have to wait for the FAQ to be completely sure, but that could be a hilarious trick-play in the Rakdos vs. Golgari match.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-01 at 02:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The way the Unleash reminder text looks, it appears that if the creature gets a +1/+1 counter from ANYTHING, it will be unable to block. Including Scavenge. I assume we'll have to wait for the FAQ to be completely sure, but that could be a hilarious trick-play in the Rakdos vs. Golgari match.
    Spoiler
    Show

I doubt it, theres a lot of "this creature" and "it" on it.

sigh, the pre-release is coming and I can't get really excited, my guild, Grull, is in the next set.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

10. - Top - End - #550
    Orc in the Playground

Quick question. I heard there is a red creature that double all damage dealt by instants and sorcery. What is it?
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

11. - Top - End - #551
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridan View Post
    Quick question. I heard there is a red creature that double all damage dealt by instants and sorcery. What is it?
    This one!
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Orc in the Playground

indeed it is. Thank you!
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Well, looks like there are quite a few more spoilers now! WARNING: REALLY LARGE PICTURES INSIDE.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yep. This guy is definitely gonna get played. Not sure yet how relevant all his abilities are, but I'm definitely going to be interested to see this guy in action. I am certain he will be highly overrated for a long time, though.

This card is probably quite a bit better than I would guess at first look. Keep track of this one, I think.

Kaboom. Such a good card.

Huh. Interesting. I'll be looking for this to do some work with Exalted.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    No but seriously, I suspect this card won't be very good. Though I suppose playable in Limited as it could get out of hand quickly.

Well if anyone doubted that the charms would be played in Constructed, may I present Azorious Charm?

YES! FINALLY! DOUBLING SEASON HURRAH!

Awesome card. Much more powerful than I would guess just by looking.

The Guildmages are all going to be unreal in Limited, I can already tell.

Now this is quite the X spell.

This card is going to be far better than it looks. I imagine this card enables some kind of silly 5-color good-things deck. Keep it in mind when brewing.

And we'll end this session with the cards everyone actually cares about.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

We have our prerelease promos

(large images abound)
    Spoiler
    Show

As much as I love Izzet, I will probably try and grab Azorius at the prerelease, because I'm pretty sure that's the best bomb. (Detain is absolutely sick in limited)
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

15. - Top - End - #555
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, looks like there are quite a few more spoilers now! WARNING: REALLY LARGE PICTURES INSIDE.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yep. This guy is definitely gonna get played. Not sure yet how relevant all his abilities are, but I'm definitely going to be interested to see this guy in action. I am certain he will be highly overrated for a long time, though.

This card is probably quite a bit better than I would guess at first look. Keep track of this one, I think.

Kaboom. Such a good card.

Huh. Interesting. I'll be looking for this to do some work with Exalted.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    No but seriously, I suspect this card won't be very good. Though I suppose playable in Limited as it could get out of hand quickly.

Well if anyone doubted that the charms would be played in Constructed, may I present Azorious Charm?

YES! FINALLY! DOUBLING SEASON HURRAH!

Awesome card. Much more powerful than I would guess just by looking.

The Guildmages are all going to be unreal in Limited, I can already tell.

Now this is quite the X spell.

This card is going to be far better than it looks. I imagine this card enables some kind of silly 5-color good-things deck. Keep it in mind when brewing.

And we'll end this session with the cards everyone actually cares about.
    Well, rather than use the uncropped oversized images, you could use the ones already up on the mothership. Including a few that you missed...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

I could I suppose. But it's a bit late for that and I'm not going to edit them out of lazyness.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Ravnica spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy. Crap. A Terminate that can hit planeswalkers. Sure it's a sorcery, but still.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

huh, now this is interesting, I wonder what the story line is given how much we're seeing of various guild mechanics being great with off guild colors. See pack rat and G/W populate. Also according to non-mothership, this set has a second set of duel mana producers called gates. on a side note Blue/white's mechanic annoys me already.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2012-09-02 at 11:03 AM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The mechanics should be designed to at least play well with other cards. A couple of the Detain cards can pull some amusing tricks with all the flickering we got in the last set. Which is pretty cool, since it's all in Blue and White. Scavenge plays well with self-mill. Izzet's spell-based mechanics play pretty well with Flashback, even if Overload doesn't. Populate plays well with just about every token strategy ever, so much so that it'd be difficult for it not to overlap in some places. Rakdos's mechanic pairs well with that guy that doubles +1/+1 counters.

The guilds have to work well together for an additional reason: we have to play with all of them eventually.

Edit: Also, just remembered how bad Intimidate is in a multicolored set. I guess the Korozda Guildmage is going to be a bit worse, then.

And a final note from looking; I think they reused 1 basic land art for each type from Ravnica: City of Guilds. Someone may want to check on that, but they look startlingly similar. It's always the second land by Richard Wright.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-02 at 11:43 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

RAVNICA
    Spoiler
    Show

Did someone say...BURRRRRRNNIIINNNG VEENNNNNGEANNCE! But seriously, with this guy, the other izzet goblin, and Teferi Dragon, this deck is going to be insane. And I want it.
    Last edited by Silverlich; 2012-09-02 at 01:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really torn about which guild I'm going to play for this set. I'm liking the Azorius mechanic, but the Izzet have a Hypersonic Dragon. Not a sonic dragon, not a supersonic dragon, but a Hypersonic Dragon. (Also, a huge amount of really strong synergy between cards)
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-09-02 at 02:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Also according to non-mothership, this set has a second set of duel mana producers called gates.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gates are in the mechanics article. They are lands which have the gate type that come in to play tapped and tap for on of its guild colours. Some things care about you controlling a gate
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlich View Post
    RAVNICA
    Spoiler
    Show

Did someone say...BURRRRRRNNIIINNNG VEENNNNNGEANNCE! But seriously, with this guy, the other izzet goblin, and Teferi Dragon, this deck is going to be insane. And I want it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    See also Buyback and Rebound.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

Ravnica:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Judge's Familiar seems too strong to me. It's taking a Cursecatcher, letting you play it with Blue or White, and then giving it flying on top of that. And Cursecatcher is already a pretty good card.

It's one of those cards where I feel if they had just dialed it back a little it'd be fine, e.g. if it was only Blue or was only White, or if they removed the flying, or if they removed the other ability. But I'm not really a fan of this kind of blatant power creep.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Ravnica:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Judge's Familiar seems too strong to me. It's taking a Cursecatcher, letting you play it with Blue or White, and then giving it flying on top of that. And Cursecatcher is already a pretty good card.

It's one of those cards where I feel if they had just dialed it back a little it'd be fine, e.g. if it was only Blue or was only White, or if they removed the flying, or if they removed the other ability. But I'm not really a fan of this kind of blatant power creep.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, Cursecatcher only ever saw play in Merfolk; without the tribal advantage, it was hardly broken. I think Judge's Familiar is fine.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2012-09-02 at 09:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Ravnica:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone honestly underrates just how much of a downside not being a Merfolk is.
    I make music

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Judge's Familiar seems fine but it's not a card that I'm all that worried about. There are plenty of really good creatures that will make their way into decks, and I don't mind a card that gives Bonfire of the Damned the finger as long as it's in play. A 1/1 flier is nice, but the body isn't relevant without ways to pump it up. I don't see it as power-creep, I see it as something entirely different.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Judge's Familiar seems fine but it's not a card that I'm all that worried about. There are plenty of really good creatures that will make their way into decks, and I don't mind a card that gives Bonfire of the Damned the finger as long as it's in play. A 1/1 flier is nice, but the body isn't relevant without ways to pump it up. I don't see it as power-creep, I see it as something entirely different.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not really anti Bonfire tech. They just cast it for one less, and still wipe your board (and your Familiar). I still like the card though.

On an unrelated note, I feel like I'm going to be adding Gatecrash shocks to my decks by accident for a while now.
    I make music

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you play Familiar on turn 1 it significantly weakens Bonfire's ridiculously overpowered tendencies. If I lead Familiar into a 2-toughness creature and a 3-toughness creature (not implausible), a miracled Bonfire will have no effect for the first 3 turns, which are the turns in which it has the most absurd value. From then on it is little value for you to leave up a counterspell for it in the future (and I can't imagine you won't have at least 1 option in that department). It also becomes much weaker if it's in their hand, as for most reasonable values it is now 1 more mana which is a huge investment. This is not an insignificant cost, ESPECIALLY if you yourself are playing Bonfires, which is not unreasonable as Izzet is one of the Return to Ravnica guilds.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Yay Ravnica!
    Spoiler
    Show

Now presenting...Maro and the Amazing Technicolor Streetlight!! It was red, and white and green and black and blue...

Also:

He rides across the nation, the thoroughbred of sin...
    Last edited by Silverlich; 2012-09-03 at 03:43 PM.