New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Ravnica
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am so thrilled for the gatelands. Common dual lands will make mana fixing for casual decks so much easier and cheaper. Who cares that they have to come into play tapped, they're exactly what my horde of casual decks need. RtR is going to be a lot of fun it looks like.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

A rules confirmation from Matt Tabak, Keeper of Magic's Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unleash creatures can't block no matter how they got their +1/+1 counters, which means Scavenge can be used to make them not able to block.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Ravnica
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am so thrilled for the gatelands. Common dual lands will make mana fixing for casual decks so much easier and cheaper. Who cares that they have to come into play tapped, they're exactly what my horde of casual decks need. RtR is going to be a lot of fun it looks like.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not to mention more dual lands in Pauper.

Does anyone else like the new Niv-Mizzet as much as I seem to? It's basically the reverse the first one's abilities and still totally works. In fact it might be better, barring shenanagins with Firemind and untap effects. Spammable "ping something for 1 and draw a card" for two mana? Yes please.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-09-03 at 06:41 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I really, really like the art and style of Rakdos so far, it's a brutal circus of brutal violent doomy doomness of doom! We'll see if the creatures are actually any good; that Nightmare looks like the obligatory limited-bomb. Though with Heartless Summoning..

How realistic is..

Suicide Dance R/B - Enchantment
    All your creatures gain Unleash and Haste.

At the beginning of your Upkeep, you lose half your life total, rounded down.

Feels like a great party, at least ;)
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So... Just did the "Choose your guild" quiz. I'm in two minds about it.

Mind 1: DIMIR YIIIIIII!

Mind 2: "You might also be Izzet, Azorius, or Simic." (Emphasis added) Thanks for helping me choose the guild I'm going to be this set. You narrowed it down to exactly the two guilds I was already considering. So, I thought I'd pose the question to you guys: Assuming I can get enough material to make a Constructed deck before Gatecrash (at which point I focus solely on Dimir), should I go with Izzet, or Azorius? I can see arguments for both, given that I already have a lot of red and blue instants and sorceries and that Detain is a frigging sick mechanic.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-09-03 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I would say "obvious Izzet hate is obvious," but the flavor text already does.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I would say "obvious Izzet hate is obvious," but the flavor text already does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Obvious Snapcaster Mage hate is obvious is more like it.

But I love me some hate-bears. Especially when they're hate-Elite Vanguards.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tomato, tomahto. It's not like any Izzet deck is going to be caught dead without four Snapcasters anyways.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

*Checks spoiler*

This block is going to be awesome.

One thing I'm not clear on yet; How many guilds are in each set? I count 5 in this one, but that leaves an uneven number for the next two.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    *Checks spoiler*

This block is going to be awesome.

One thing I'm not clear on yet; How many guilds are in each set? I count 5 in this one, but that leaves an uneven number for the next two.
    5 in Return to Ravnica, 5 in Gatecrash, and all 10 together in the last block, codename Sinker. Fairly even number, this time around.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    5 in Return to Ravnica, 5 in Gatecrash, and all 10 together in the last block, codename Sinker. Fairly even number, this time around.
    Just thought I'd add that Gatecrash is a large set along with Return, so each guild gets the same number of cards.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Large Large Small? Uhh... Have they explained how drafting the third set will work? (I'm guessing there will be RTR-RTR-RTR drafts, Gatecrash-Gatecrash-Gatecrash drafts, but how does sinker fit in here?)
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-09-04 at 08:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Large Large Small? Uhh... Have they explained how drafting the third set will work? (I'm guessing there will be RTR-RTR-RTR drafts, Gatecrash-Gatecrash-Gatecrash drafts, but how does sinker fit in here?)
    RTR-RTR-RTR, then Gatecrash-Gatecrash-Gatecrash, then Sinker-Gatecrash-RTR.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really, really like the art and style of Rakdos so far, it's a brutal circus of brutal violent doomy doomness of doom! We'll see if the creatures are actually any good; that Nightmare looks like the obligatory limited-bomb. Though with Heartless Summoning..

How realistic is..

Suicide Dance R/B - Enchantment
    All your creatures gain Unleash and Haste.

At the beginning of your Upkeep, you lose half your life total, rounded down.

Feels like a great party, at least ;)
    Spoiler
    Show

kinda... actually.

CMC seems a bit off though.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

kinda... actually.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the point of haste and unleash, not the loose life

I wonder what effect the draft order will have on decks, would Sinker-RTR-Gatecrash be different than the planned set-up?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

But I love me some hate-bears. Especially when they're hate-Elite Vanguards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look, Wizards. This is how you design hate cards. You don't try to hate on other, related cards. Just hate out the specific damn card. Ugh.

Now that I have that out of my system, Dryad Militant is an awesome card. I like it and will use it to great and powerful effect in the future. No flashback for you.

But of course the card that excites me most is this one:

~Lotleth Troll
    BG
    Creature - Zombie Troll R
    Trample
    Discard a creature card from your hand: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
    {B}: Regenerate ~.
    Illus. Vincent Proce #177/274 2/1

And then BG Zombies was a Tier 1 Standard deck.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look, Wizards. This is how you design hate cards. You don't try to hate on other, related cards. Just hate out the specific damn card. Ugh.

Now that I have that out of my system, Dryad Militant is an awesome card. I like it and will use it to great and powerful effect in the future. No flashback for you.

~Lotleth Troll
    BG
    Trample

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I've been trying to get Splinterfright/Boneyard Wurm to work ever since Innistrad's release, first as G/U and then as BUG; it's been reasonably effective, and I've heard other people have tried it with some success, but it's never really had the support it needed from Scars. Between this, Grizzly Salvage, Jarad, and Dreg Mangler, I think there's already a workable deck, and that's ignoring the fact that there's plenty more Golgari stuff to go, including hopefully another hybrid-mana uncommon one-drop if they're hinting at a cycle of them with Dryad Militant and Judge's Familiar.
    Last edited by Mr._Blinky; 2012-09-04 at 07:12 PM.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Mr. Blinky, responses to spoilers should probably themselves be in spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm definitely sideboarding 4 of that dryad.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

~Lotleth Troll
    BG
    Trample

Spoiler
    Show
    Methinks it might be time for my G/R Madness deck to splash black.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

kinda... actually.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kinda.. except it's probably not too good :( And this Enchantment pretty much reduces the probability of a second one like that thing I proposed to zero. Too bad. But there's still the hope they'll preview the R/B Uncommon one-drop tonight and that it will kick ass! Hell yeah!

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I've been trying to get Splinterfright/Boneyard Wurm to work ever since Innistrad's release, first as G/U and then as BUG; it's been reasonably effective, and I've heard other people have tried it with some success, but it's never really had the support it needed from Scars. Between this, Grizzly Salvage, Jarad, and Dreg Mangler, I think there's already a workable deck, and that's ignoring the fact that there's plenty more Golgari stuff to go, including hopefully another hybrid-mana uncommon one-drop if they're hinting at a cycle of them with Dryad Militant and Judge's Familiar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A working BUG Self-mill Beatdown deck would be super awesome. I've been working on this some time, but the thing is.. any kind of GY hate shuts you down hard and there will be a LOT of GY hate, if only because of Snapcaster.

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a terrible person because I want to make a deck using door to nothingness and Axebane Guardian from RTR
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-09-04 at 05:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #592
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Has anybody else noticed the value of Innistrad and Dark Ascension going up, according to this site?

According to this diagram, Innistrad went from ca. 73$ to 90$ of value since M2013.

This diagram shows how Dark Ascension is starting to gain value again, after plummeting a bit around M2013

My assumptions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ISD went up because people are getting the enemy dual lands - Woodland Cemetary, Clifftop Retreat went up a decent amount. DKA cards are presumably seeing a sharp increase in value because of Golgari. I don't know how often these values are refreshed, but it may even be that lovely Lotlech Troll we just saw.

Edit: Wow, Woodland Cemetery went from 4$ at August 05 to 7$+ now. Interesting.. If Golgari proves to be awesome, Rancor might become the most expansive Uncommon during its standard legality, if it isn't already.

All these and various other interesing nerdy MtG tools can be found via http://ark42.com/mtg/. Awesome site.
    Last edited by raymundo; 2012-09-04 at 06:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #593

You know, looking things over, I have the strangest desire to mix Wolf Run Ramp with Delver now that Phyrexia is moving out of standard. They both run about the same number of creatures, with WRR running more lands to Delver's spells. While that might seem a problem, we'll be losing Inkmoth Nexus, which served less as a land and more as a creature for WRR. This means (I think) that I can dump the extra slots to spells.

Before criticisms, yes, I know this is a stretchy experiment, where Delver looks to get early advantage while WRR goes for a larger bomb type strategy. That said, any thoughts and suggestions?
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Mr. Blinky, responses to spoilers should probably themselves be in spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm definitely sideboarding 4 of that dryad.
    Indeed you are correct sir, my apologies; wasn't thinking.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Blinky View Post
    Indeed you are correct sir, my apologies; wasn't thinking.
    *Points to Gender icon*

Pssst. I'm a girl.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    You know, looking things over, I have the strangest desire to mix Wolf Run Ramp with Delver now that Phyrexia is moving out of standard. They both run about the same number of creatures, with WRR running more lands to Delver's spells. While that might seem a problem, we'll be losing Inkmoth Nexus, which served less as a land and more as a creature for WRR. This means (I think) that I can dump the extra slots to spells.

Before criticisms, yes, I know this is a stretchy experiment, where Delver looks to get early advantage while WRR goes for a larger bomb type strategy. That said, any thoughts and suggestions?
    The biggest problem with running a Wolf Run Ramp deck as it previously worked is that you don't have Primeval Titan and there is no card that does anything even close to what Primeval Titan did in that deck.

If you were to play RUG Delver with Kessig Wolf Run in it, that would be completely different. Kessig Wolf Run is a good card and seems like it could be a useful spell-land option for Delver decks. Unfortunately I don't think Delver combines as well with Kessig Wolf Run as you'd think; Wolf Run is best when you have a mass of creatures in your deck, whereas Delver works best when you have 25+ instants or sorceries in your deck, especially if you aren't playing any deck stacking cards (because, you know, you can't because we don't have any in Standard yet (And don't tell me Index is one, Index isn't a real card.)).

So perhaps theoretically interesting, but I think the two cards you're trying to combine push you in completely different directions.

If, however, you wanted to play RUG Tempo-ramp, that might be interesting. Play Snapcaster with Ramp spells, some bounce to tempo opponents while you crush them with large creatures, and of course Temporal Mastery because why not. That might be something worth looking at.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-04 at 08:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    *Points to Gender icon*

Pssst. I'm a girl.
    I'm pretty sure that "sir" is somewhere in the process of becoming a gender-neutral term.

28. - Top - End - #598

The biggest problem with running a Wolf Run Ramp deck as it previously worked is that you don't have Primeval Titan and there is no card that does anything even close to what Primeval Titan did in that deck.

If you were to play RUG Delver with Kessig Wolf Run in it, that would be completely different. Kessig Wolf Run is a good card and seems like it could be a useful spell-land option for Delver decks. Unfortunately I don't think Delver combines as well with Kessig Wolf Run as you'd think; Wolf Run is best when you have a mass of creatures in your deck, whereas Delver works best when you have 25+ instants or sorceries in your deck, especially if you aren't playing any deck stacking cards (because, you know, you can't because we don't have any in Standard yet (And don't tell me Index is one, Index isn't a real card.)).

So perhaps theoretically interesting, but I think the two cards you're trying to combine push you in completely different directions.

If, however, you wanted to play RUG Tempo-ramp, that might be interesting. Play Snapcaster with Ramp spells, some bounce to tempo opponents while you crush them with large creatures, and of course Temporal Mastery because why not. That might be something worth looking at.
    I was actually looking at the list Kibler ran a few months back. He had a bare twenty creatures, counting the Inkmoth Nexi. He was also running about 20 spells, though admittedly four of them were artifacts. But since the Nexi is rotating out anyway, it can be replaced with more spells. And I was actually thinking of replacing the Titans with either Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker or something similar.

Some of my considered alterations:
    Solemn Simulacrum -> Borderland Ranger
    Rampant Growth -> Farseek (will be able to fetch shocklands)
    Sphere of the Suns -> Vessel of Endless Rest (to be replaced when RtR comes out)
    Primeval Titan -> Nicol Bolas

Other than that, I'm trying to figure the right balance between elements.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

The issue with trying to play that deck is that the reason that deck functions is because you have Primeval Titan. Without Titan, you literally can't play Wolf Run Ramp in its current iteration. Titan enables you to play that deck; without it you have to do something else.

Nicol Bolas doesn't do what Titan does in a very clear and obvious way: it doesn't get Wolf Run and it isn't useful with it. If you want to play Nicol Bolas, you should just ramp into Nicol Bolas and not worry about Wolf Run.

30. - Top - End - #600

The issue with trying to play that deck is that the reason that deck functions is because you have Primeval Titan. Without Titan, you literally can't play Wolf Run Ramp in its current iteration. Titan enables you to play that deck; without it you have to do something else.

Nicol Bolas doesn't do what Titan does in a very clear and obvious way: it doesn't get Wolf Run and it isn't useful with it. If you want to play Nicol Bolas, you should just ramp into Nicol Bolas and not worry about Wolf Run.
    Yeah, I might just cut the Runs themselves. The ramp engine itself is a little more important, but there is also a lot strong support options on both sides that I'm looking at working through.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing