New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

The thing is, the shock lands are almost always worth picking up when possible. They aren't going to get any cheaper than $12 because they're multiformat staples, so you may as well pick them up now so you have them for the whole Standard environment. They will be worth it if you plan to play any decks of their colors ever.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Three questions:

1) Is there currently any infinite draw engine available to standard?

2) Is there currently any infinite mana engine available to standard?

3) Can they be combined?
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    Three questions:

1) Is there currently any infinite draw engine available to standard?

2) Is there currently any infinite mana engine available to standard?

3) Can they be combined?
    Absolutely. Extremely Convoluted infinite mana/draw engine ahoy! I may no claims as to the playability of this, just as to it working by the rules and all the cards being standard legal. I am 100% sure there's a simpler way to do this, but this demonstrates that, if nothing else, it does exist.

Requires 4 colors (Black,Blue, White, Red). There's probably a way to do it in less. Axebane guardian + ferver as a replacement for the lotuses and torch fiends might be useful.

You need the following permanents in play to go infinite:
    1x Bloodflow Connoisseur (or Bloodthrone Vampire, or any permanent that can sac another creature at will at no cost)
    3x Gilded Lotus
    3x Torch Fiend
    1x Archeomancer
    1x Alchemist's Apprentice (or any creature that draws a card when it dies)

You also need Faith's Reward in hand

1. Tap all three Lotus's for mana, 3 white, 3 red, 3 whatever
    2. Use 1 red mana to sac the torch fiend to destroy one of the lotuses. Repeat with the other two torch fiends
    3. Sac the archaeomancer to the connoisseur
    4. Sac the Apprentice to draw a card
    5. Use all three white mana and 1 whatever mana to cast Faith's Reward
    6. When Reward resolves and puts Archaeomancer on the battlefield put Reward back in your hand from the graveyard (where it is, having finished resolving before the trigger was put on the stack)
    7. 20 goto 10. You have the same permanents on the battlefield, 1 extra card, and 2 extra mana.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Alternatively;

3 Defenders+Axebane Guardian+Galvanic Alchemist can give you infinite mana, and then you can use a variety of X spells to deliver the killing blow and/or draw cards.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

If you really want a cheesy infinite, Tamiyo emblem plus Omniscience is the best we've had in a while.

Use with whatever card draw you want to find whatever spells you want to loop. If you insist on infinite mana, you can find Ghostly Flicker to untap your lands.

EDIT: Dual Casting on Midnight Guard repeatedly copying a stack of Thatcher Revolt and Battle Hymn has previously come up in this thread. (Midnight Guard gets three separate triggers from Thatcher Revolt, so you can copy the Battle Hymn in between the triggers and still be able to copy the Thatcher's Revolt again)
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-10-16 at 09:21 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    EDIT: Dual Casting on Midnight Guard repeatedly copying a stack of Thatcher Revolt and Battle Hymn has previously come up in this thread. (Midnight Guard gets three separate triggers from Thatcher Revolt, so you can copy the Battle Hymn in between the triggers and still be able to copy the Thatcher's Revolt again)
    That doesn't work, because once Thatcher's Revolt has resolved, allowing for Midnight Guard's triggers, it is no longer on the stack.

It still nets a lot of mana off of the battle hymn, though.

7. - Top - End - #967

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    That doesn't work, because once Thatcher's Revolt has resolved, allowing for Midnight Guard's triggers, it is no longer on the stack.

It still nets a lot of mana off of the battle hymn, though.
    It works something like this:

1) Enchant Midnight Guard with Dual Casting
    2) Cast Thatcher Revolt
    3) Cast Battle Hymn
    4) Activate Midnight Guard targeting Thatcher Revolt

So the stack now reads Thatcher Revolt, Battle Hymn, Thatcher Revolt

5) Second Thatcher Revolt resolves, putting three triggers on the Guard
    6) First trigger resolves, Guard untaps. Target Thatcher Revolt again.
    7) Second trigger resolves, Guard untaps. Target Battle Hymn again.
    8) Third trigger resolves.
    9) Second Battle Hymn resolves, adding more mana to your pool.
    10) Third Revolt resolves, adding three more triggers to Guard.
    11) Go back to 5 and repeat through 10 till satisfied
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah ok. I had totally forgot that Guard could be activated beforehand

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    The thing is, the shock lands are almost always worth picking up when possible. They aren't going to get any cheaper than $12 because they're multiformat staples, so you may as well pick them up now so you have them for the whole Standard environment. They will be worth it if you plan to play any decks of their colors ever.
    That's not true. Some are cheaper than $12 right now, and I'm talking about from actual online stores, not eBay (where the prices are usually the lowest they'll be). They're probably going to go down even over the next few months because (1) supply will keep going up and (2) the initial demand will wane because the people who needed them right away will have already bought them.

There probably will be a price spike (roughly) around the time Innistrad rotates out, though.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough. The fact that I was wrong on the prices doesn't mean they aren't worth picking up quickly. Allowing yourself to play a Standard deck with much better mana is worth $48 in my opinion, especially if you can be pretty sure you can get value back in two years. If you can get them for cheaper, then you should be picking that up immediately.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-10-16 at 10:55 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Fair enough. The fact that I was wrong on the prices doesn't mean they aren't worth picking up quickly. Allowing yourself to play a Standard deck with much better mana is worth $48 in my opinion, especially if you can be pretty sure you can get value back in two years. If you can get them for cheaper, then you should be picking that up immediately.
    Oh, you meant getting one or two playsets for your favorite color combinations, not collecting a playset of the entire cycle. That's much more reasonable.

12. - Top - End - #972

Pick up Shocks as soon as possible. In modern, shocks vary from 15-20 dollars and you generally need multiple shocks. They can also be used in Legacy as replacement revised duals. They will be useful and probably hold their value pretty well.

I can also see Desecration Demon being used in The Gate or MBC Modern/Legacy decks as replacement Abysals, but depends on the meta. Bitterblossom and stuff pretty much negate DD.

Abrupt Decay, I think, will drop to 10 dollars. It looks to be played (but not massivly so) in standard, and a 2 mana removal spell that kills anything 3 mana or less (in formats with a lot of 3 mana or less creatures, enchantments and artifacts) will be used.

Now, is anyone any good with zombies or jund control/mid? I'm tweaking my deck and I'm looking to save up to travel around the UK playing in tournies in my break.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm playing magic for the first time in a few years and I went out and made myself a Rakdos deck for standard. I'm aiming for a budget deck so a lot of my choices are going to be suboptimal. Any idea how I could improve this deck without resorting to expensive cards?

Rakdos Deck Wins

Creatures (x26)

Hellhole Flailer x4
    Rakdos Cackler x4
    Rakdos Shred-Freak x4
    Thrill-Kill Assassin x3
    Stonewright x4
    Rix-Maadi Guildmage x3
    Stromkirk Noble x2
    Gore-House Chainwalker x2

Other Spells (x12)

Pillar of Flame x2
    Thunderous Wrath x3
    Auger Spree x3
    Mizzium Mortars x2
    Banners Raised x2

Lands (x22)

Evolving Wilds x2
    Dragonskull Summit x1
    Rakdos Guildgate x4
    Swamp x6
    Mountain x9
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm curious, why does it not include Searing Spear or Brimstone Volley?

For reference, here's my Rakdos deck I have yet to test since I'm too lazy to go to the T2 fnm that's farther away. (We play whatever we feel like in a non-sanctioned form at my closer LGS.)

Lands: 21
    4x Blood Crypt (Something I'll probably accumulate over time, will work without.)
    4x Dragonskull Summit
    8x Mountain
    5x Swamp

Spells:14
    4x Brimstone Volley
    3x Searing Spear
    3x Thunderous Wrath
    3x Pillar of Flame

Creatures:25
    4x Rakdos Cackler
    3x Stromkirk Noble
    4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
    4x Gore-House Chainwalker
    3x Ash Zealot
    4x Hellhole Flailer
    3x Hellrider

Sideboard:
    4x Electricker (super secret tech)
    4x Torchfiend or Manic Vandal
    4x Mark of Mutiny
    3x Victim of Night

I'm considering adding Rixmaadi Guildmage but can't really think of what to cut out.
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2012-10-18 at 12:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Good idea, I had thought about it but didn't actually go through with it till now. I got a playset of Searing Spears, but my local store didn't have any copies of Brimstone Volley. I replaced the three Thrill-Kills with Searing Spears, any idea what I should swap out for the fourth?

EDIT: Thinking of cutting the Guildmages and keeping the Thrill-Kills
    Last edited by Lord Loss; 2012-10-18 at 03:35 PM.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

I just played a game on cockatrice with my B/G zombies against a guy with a deck that looked somewhat like this:

4 Champion of the parish
    4 War falcon
    4 Elite inquisitor
    4 Knight of glory
    3 Thalia
    1 Geist of saint Traft
    3 Lyev skyknight
    3 Silverblade paladin
    2 restoration angel
    3 Suprime archangel
    5-7 of something i can't remember

And a sideboard that included
    Riders of gavony
    Detention sphere
    Rest in peace

I won 2-1, which i think illustrates just how good the new zombies are, this deck contains so much of the zombie hate that it could seem like an impossible matchup, but the zombies still have enough ways to play around it to stand a chance. I was actually quite amazed by how well the zombies did against the deck.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #977
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, I've been playing again in FNM's lately, and I noticed that the decks that have given me the most trouble (I play Golgari Zombies, btw) are decks that feature things like Centaur Healer and Thragtusk. I've tried using things like Crippling Blight to at least shut them down, but I just can't get around the insane amount of life gain. I was thinking of maybe putting in a couple of Stab Wounds in my sideboard, but I'm not very hopeful with that because most decks that run Centaur Healers and Thragtusks also run Restoration Angels.

Maybe Appetite for Brains? Is there a way to stop the life gain before it happens? Maybe an enchantment?
    Last edited by Razaele; 2012-10-20 at 04:18 AM.

Awesome avatar and siggy by Kwarkpudding

18. - Top - End - #978
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razaele View Post
    So, I've been playing again in FNM's lately, and I noticed that the decks that have given me the most trouble (I play Golgari Zombies, btw) are decks that feature things like Centaur Healer and Thragtusk. I've tried using things like Crippling Blight to at least shut them down, but I just can't get around the insane amount of life gain. I was thinking of maybe putting in a couple of Stab Wounds in my sideboard, but I'm not very hopeful with that because most decks that run Centaur Healers and Thragtusks also run Restoration Angels.

Maybe Appetite for Brains? Is there a way to stop the life gain before it happens? Maybe an enchantment?
    Yes, but it's not one that you're likely to run, as it requires red mana and costs 6 to cast. Wizards included the efficient lifegain cards in the set as a way to counter Golgari-style decks, so... yeah. Appetite for Brains probably would do you some good from the board, though. Restoration Angel and Thragtusk are both legal targets for it, and getting rid of those before they hit the board is big. Other than that, I recommend killing the Healers as soon as you get a chance when the opponent doesn't have 4 mana open. It decreases the chance of lifegain off a Restoration Angel into a good board state, and when they have mana for the Angel up, you're basically throwing away removal spells when you try to hit their creatures. Otherwise... I just have to say, life was easier when I still had Lashwrithes and Phyrexian Obliterators to plow through the life totals. Hopefully Lotleth troll can do the same thing... [/2cents]
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

19. - Top - End - #979
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Yes, but it's not one that you're likely to run, as it requires red mana and costs 6 to cast. Wizards included the efficient lifegain cards in the set as a way to counter Golgari-style decks, so... yeah. Appetite for Brains probably would do you some good from the board, though. Restoration Angel and Thragtusk are both legal targets for it, and getting rid of those before they hit the board is big. Other than that, I recommend killing the Healers as soon as you get a chance when the opponent doesn't have 4 mana open. It decreases the chance of lifegain off a Restoration Angel into a good board state, and when they have mana for the Angel up, you're basically throwing away removal spells when you try to hit their creatures. Otherwise... I just have to say, life was easier when I still had Lashwrithes and Phyrexian Obliterators to plow through the life totals. Hopefully Lotleth troll can do the same thing... [/2cents]
    Yeah, I'm not really going to be able to cast that unless I go Jund, in which case I should probably go with Slaughter Games instead.

Maybe I should try and build a mid-range Golgari deck instead, and toss in a set of Thragtusks for myself. Fight fire with fire!

Awesome avatar and siggy by Kwarkpudding

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, I'm thinking of building a rakdos deck, as I have a lot of the cards I need, and it'd basically have the same strategy my previous mono black decks had. So, the cards I know I want in the dec

Spoiler
    Show

Manabase: 4x Blood Crypt
    4x Dragonskull Summit
    14x Swamp
    1x Mountain

Creatures: 4x Rakdos Cackler
    4x Vampire Nighthawk
    4x Geralf's Messenger
    4x Desecration Demon

Other Spells: 3x Victim of the Night
    3x Tragic Slip
    2x Rakdos Charm
    2x Lilliana of the Viel

That's 49 cards, and the only rares I'd need are the lands, and I think I can pick those up easily enough. The question is, what else goes in. An aggro deck might appreciate blood artist and another one drop (I'm hesitant to play gravecrawler, since I don't think I have enough zombies to make it work), while with a control deck, I can put in Mutilate and Sever the bloodline, but Rakdos Cackler seems dead there, and I'm not sure what to replace it with (And I feel Desecration demon needs at least 16-20 creatures to support it)

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

No mention of the new "Modern Masters" set? Apparently Wizards of the Coast is going to do a Master's Edition-esque set, this time geared towards Modern staples and more importantly, in actual print. It's apparently draftable as well. In terms of content, though, all we know is that Tarmogoyf will be a mythic rare in it.

22. - Top - End - #982

You hope it will be in there.
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sohala View Post
    You hope it will be in there.
    No, it's the one card confirmed in. Aaron Forsythe showed it off when he previewed Modern Masters.

I like this; Master's Edition-style things are cool, and it'll be neat to draft it - kind of a Cube-like thing.

Other details:
    -15 mythics, 53 rares, 60 uncommons, 101 commons. (rarity on some cards has been shifted around)
    -20-30 new art pieces.
    -basic land slot is replaced by a foil in EVERY pack.
    -MSRP of a booster pack is $6.99. Combined with the limited print run, it's not going to be cheap.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2012-10-20 at 10:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

When's the release date?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

June 2013.

26. - Top - End - #986

Beholder

Have any of you guys made custom tokens/cards before?

This is kinda what I have going on. I use Magic Set Editor.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2012-10-20 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Have any of you guys made custom tokens/cards before?

This is kinda what I have going on. I use Magic Set Editor.

Spoiler
    Show

Your links are broken...they have an extra slash at the end. Here's the fixed versions:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Whoops, that didn't work either. You need a direct link to the image, I think.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2012-10-20 at 11:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Your links are broken...they have an extra slash at the end. Here's the fixed versions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmm, I'm not sure what the problem is... I think ImageShack is just being a little screwed up at the moment.

Edit: Fixed Original

Edit again: If anyone has some cool art for tokens that they'd like to share, I'd be very grateful, as sometimes finding art for the tokens (and the artist to give credit to them) is very hard.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2012-10-21 at 12:11 AM.
    Not again...

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    -MSRP of a booster pack is $6.99. Combined with the limited print run, it's not going to be cheap.
    Not a big fan of either. It'd be great if this could be used for Friday Night Magic, even for just a few weeks before Magic 2014 comes out. But the higher price and limited print run seem like it'll sabotage that, because FNM seems out as stores probably don't want to charge extra for it, and the limited print run prevents makes it seem like it'd be harder to draft with even for fun. Hopefully even if it's "limited" it'll still be a large print run.

I guess it's something, and it's nice that Tarmogoyf is finally having something done about it, but it still does feel like they could have done a little more.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-10-21 at 12:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #990

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Not a big fan of either. It'd be great if this could be used for Friday Night Magic, even for just a few weeks before Magic 2014 comes out. But the higher price and limited print run seem like it'll sabotage that, because FNM seems out as stores probably don't want to charge extra for it, and the limited print run prevents makes it seem like it'd be harder to draft with even for fun. Hopefully even if it's "limited" it'll still be a large print run.

I guess it's something, and it's nice that Tarmogoyf is finally having something done about it, but it still does feel like they could have done a little more.
    Limited Print Run is bad news bears...
    Not again...