New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Depends. You gonna be running Thalia at all?
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

I'm not honestly sure...W/U does have some decent spells, so it would probably hurt me a bit as well as my oponent, but I might sideboard her in case I end up in a match with a red, B/R, or R/U deck.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Banned

Id suggest trading the serenity angel for a few other cards, there is a lot of value there that could be spread around. Have you considered Neartheath pilgrim / silverblade paladin / fiend hunter as options? restoration angel would also go well there, or if you are sticking with the knights of glory in the main, a couple of cathedrals of war couple with 1-2 sublime archangels for an exalted alternate win-con. Alternatively, champion of the parish is a good creature in any White based aggro build, alongside things like gather the townsfolk to pump him up (although it doesnt play nice with Thalia, and she helps a ton against a lot of relevant decks in the meta).

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll probably eventually aim for some of the cards you mentioned, especially nearheath pilgrim and silverblade paladin(though probably not sublime archangel, since it doesn't seem strong, unless I'm misunderstanding how exalted works, all creatures get the +1/+1 from exalted as long as one creature on the field has it, correct?), but the reason I listed angel of serenity is because I already have a copy of it, and I'd rather not lose it, since it'll probably be useful once I get a better deck. Gather the townsfolk looks like a useful card though, and easy to get a hold of(it would also make a copy of champion of the parish more useful, though I'm not sure whether it would be good to aim for him, or precinct captain first)
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-11-11 at 07:09 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Banned

Angel of Serenity goes in a different kind of deck, is all. A couple of Geists of St. Traft would be far more useful in what you intend to build.

As for sublime archangel, the idea is this: You drop the angel and a single attacker gets +x/+x, where X is the number of creatures you have in the field, which is likely to be large due to the nature of your deck. Next turn you swing with a +x/+x angel. Add in a Silverblade Paladin, and its hitting for twice as much :O

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Can anyone find a way to get rid of a card with these abilities?
    It's a land.
    Protection from everything.
    The card is indestructible.
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-11-11 at 11:58 AM.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    It's a land.
    Decree of Annihilation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Banned

worldfire, upheaval, karn liberated... nevermind, misread as prot. from all colors. Making a creature of its controller fight a phyrexian obliterator over and over? in that vein, emrakul / things with annihilator.
    Last edited by LansXero; 2012-11-11 at 12:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1239

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I'll probably eventually aim for some of the cards you mentioned, especially nearheath pilgrim and silverblade paladin(though probably not sublime archangel, since it doesn't seem strong, unless I'm misunderstanding how exalted works, all creatures get the +1/+1 from exalted as long as one creature on the field has it, correct?), but the reason I listed angel of serenity is because I already have a copy of it, and I'd rather not lose it, since it'll probably be useful once I get a better deck. Gather the townsfolk looks like a useful card though, and easy to get a hold of(it would also make a copy of champion of the parish more useful, though I'm not sure whether it would be good to aim for him, or precinct captain first)
    It really just sounds like there are 3 different decks with 3 different routes to victory stacked on top of each other here.

You have tokens. They can be useful support but they are much better in a token only deck.

You have angel of serenity. 7 mana in an aggro deck is too much without a way to cheat her into play. She is a mid range/control card, who is too expensive for aggro control.

You have the UW aggro creatures. A good choice for a meta with zombies, control and midrange, but you seem to be missing the aggro parts of it.

Pilgrim isn't a bad card. Infact, I would say it is a good one, but right now, he would be sideboard tech in the aggro match up.

If you wanna do a UW aggro list, Giest of St Traf, Elite Inquisitor, Silverblade Paladin, War Falcon, Knight of Glory, etc. Have a finisher at 4 mana like Sublime Archangel or keep it to 3 mana and Ajani to run less land and more creatures. Champion of the Parish gets buffed anyway without the need for Gather (you drop him turn 1, turn 2 you drop Knight, swing for 3, turn 4 you drop another human or two, swing for 5 etc). And Spectral Flight/Feeling of Dread/Oblivion Ring are the only real 3 cards you want main board who aren't creatures. Have a good sideboard with Negate and stuff if you want.
    She can swing from a web

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a land.
    In addition to the mentioned:
    Apocalypse
    Descent into Madness
    Dimensional Breach (technically)
    Realm Razer (until killed anyways)
    Mana Vortex (eventually)
    Balance/Balancing Act/Restore Balance with 0 lands/permanents in play
    Death Cloud
    Epicenter
    Devastating Dreams
    Destructive Force (provided only 5 or less lands in play) - in the same vein, Wildfire and Burning of Xinye
    Global Ruin (assuming it doesn't have a basic land type)

You could also make it colored (via. an enchantment or something) and All is Dust. Or animate all lands and make them lose all abilities. Or some such. There's a lot of ways to get things done in this game.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

So.

I managed to get my hands on a Commander's Arsenal recently. New.

I opened it, and... There were two Sylvan Libraries, and no Scroll Rack.

...What's the proceedure for getting a card that was advertised and then not provided?
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    It really just sounds like there are 3 different decks with 3 different routes to victory stacked on top of each other here.

You have tokens. They can be useful support but they are much better in a token only deck.

You have angel of serenity. 7 mana in an aggro deck is too much without a way to cheat her into play. She is a mid range/control card, who is too expensive for aggro control.

You have the UW aggro creatures. A good choice for a meta with zombies, control and midrange, but you seem to be missing the aggro parts of it.

Pilgrim isn't a bad card. Infact, I would say it is a good one, but right now, he would be sideboard tech in the aggro match up.

If you wanna do a UW aggro list, Giest of St Traf, Elite Inquisitor, Silverblade Paladin, War Falcon, Knight of Glory, etc. Have a finisher at 4 mana like Sublime Archangel or keep it to 3 mana and Ajani to run less land and more creatures. Champion of the Parish gets buffed anyway without the need for Gather (you drop him turn 1, turn 2 you drop Knight, swing for 3, turn 4 you drop another human or two, swing for 5 etc). And Spectral Flight/Feeling of Dread/Oblivion Ring are the only real 3 cards you want main board who aren't creatures. Have a good sideboard with Negate and stuff if you want.
    Ah, I missed that part of sublime archangel. One thing I was wondering, was if W/U control or light control is a viable option, W/U does have a few decent cards for it(I think).
    Meow(Steam page)

13. - Top - End - #1243

Ah, I missed that part of sublime archangel. One thing I was wondering, was if W/U control or light control is a viable option, W/U does have a few decent cards for it(I think).
    Well, U/W has some control aspects. You lock them down with Fiend Hunter and Feelings of Dread in aggro while you swing for win.

U/W midrange, while not as good UWG midrange, doesn't play any of the 1-2 mana dudes besides Mana dorks and has controlish aspects.
    She can swing from a web

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ettin in the Playground

What does midrange mean?, I feel silly for asking, but I still haven't figured out what it means yet.
    Meow(Steam page)

15. - Top - End - #1245

What does midrange mean?, I feel silly for asking, but I still haven't figured out what it means yet.
    Basically. Aggro decks generally play 1-4 mana and try to kill you before you kill them. Midrange has no creatures in the 1-2 mana slots, and goes a lot higher, sometimes up to 7 mana (in the case of angel). Instead they try to survive until they can play something to stabilize their life then kill you with their bigger and better quality creatures.

An example midrange deck for GWU in the current meta would play Thragtusk, Angel of Serenity, Farseek, Detention Sphere. A GRB midrange deck would play Thragtusk, Olivia Voldaren, Huntmaster of the Fell and Dreadbore.
    Last edited by Lea Plath; 2012-11-11 at 04:31 PM.
    She can swing from a web

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, definitely planning to aim for an aggro deck(though I'll probably include 1-2 archon of the triumvirate, since it has such a strong effect).
    Meow(Steam page)

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    So.

I managed to get my hands on a Commander's Arsenal recently. New.

I opened it, and... There were two Sylvan Libraries, and no Scroll Rack.

...What's the proceedure for getting a card that was advertised and then not provided?
    Can you not just call the customer service line? Or talk to the manager of the place you purchased it from?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a land.
    Alright, that wasn't as tight as I hoped... How would this work?

It's a land.
    "If this card leaves the battlefield, it returns to the battlefield under its owners control at the end of turn. This ability can not be countered."

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright, that wasn't as tight as I hoped... How would this work?

It's a land.
    "If this card leaves the battlefield, it returns to the battlefield under its owners control at the end of turn. This ability can not be countered."
    Aside from needing to reword the ability as a triggered ability...turn it into a creature with something like Nature's Revolt, have Humility out, then get rid of it. I think. Humility's always tricky.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Aside from needing to reword the ability as a triggered ability...turn it into a creature with something like Nature's Revolt, have Humility out, then get rid of it. I think. Humility's always tricky.
    Ooh, that one's tricky. How could I stop that?

Also, yes, I am trying to make it impossible to permanently get rid of it. Steep task, I know.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

So seeing as we're in a bit of a deck mode atm, here's a terrible terrible standard deck I made
    Spoiler
    Show

Creatures
    4x Blistercoil Weird
    4x Goblin Electromancer

Enchantments
    4x Dual Casting

Instants
    4x Think Twice
    3x Searing Spear
    1x Cyclonic Rift
    3x Brimstone Volley
    1x Thoughtflare

Sourcery
    4x Pillar of Flame
    2x Mizzium Mortars
    3x Talrand's Invocation
    2x Devil's Play

Land
    11x Mountain
    7x Island
    4x Izzet Guildgate
    2x Steam Vents
    1x Desolate Lighthouse
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Colossus in the Playground

Ooh, that one's tricky. How could I stop that?

Also, yes, I am trying to make it impossible to permanently get rid of it. Steep task, I know.
    You wording right now wasn't really rules-legal. Tho making a permanent unremovable isn't really a monumental task. Like, you can simply do:

This permanent cannot lose its abilities (characteristic-defining ability, applied in layer 1).
    This permanent is indestructable.
    If this permanent were to be sacrificed, it is not sacrificed instead.
    If this permanent were to be exiled, it is not exiled instead.
    (If this permanent were to be returned to a hand or a library, it stays in play instead.)

That's the kind of a brute force solution. Replacement effects cannot really be interacted with aside from another replacement effect applying to the same event. Last one is only necessary if you want it to not only be undestroyable but also be unbouncable (if bounced it could of course be discarded, or if put into library, it could be milled). That could theoretically still be removable by Mindslavering its controller and arranging a conflicting replacement effect of course.

More interesting would be trying to construe a passive boardstate out of existing cards where you cannot lose the game and no deck or card can stop you (passive as in not a lock; something like Mindslaver lock or Null Rod + Mycosynth Lattice is way too easy).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You wording right now wasn't really rules-legal. Tho making a permanent unremovable isn't really a monumental task. Like, you can simply do:

This permanent cannot lose its abilities (characteristic-defining ability, applied in layer 1).
    (If this permanent were to be returned to a hand or a library, it stays in play instead.)

That's the kind of a brute force solution. Replacement effects cannot really be interacted with aside from another replacement effect applying to the same event. Last one is only necessary if you want it to not only be undestroyable but also be unbouncable (if bounced it could of course be discarded, or if put into library, it could be milled). That could theoretically still be removable by Mindslavering its controller and arranging a conflicting replacement effect of course.
    Thank you. That should do it.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Banned

Returned and leave play means it can still be milled / discarded away or memoricided away, no?

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you. That should do it.
    *delurks* Dare I ask why you need a permanent to be so durable as to require an "abilities can't be removed" rider? *relurks*
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post

More interesting would be trying to construe a passive boardstate out of existing cards where you cannot lose the game and no deck or card can stop you (passive as in not a lock; something like Mindslaver lock or Null Rod + Mycosynth Lattice is way too easy).
    You version can still be killed if it is made into a creature with 0 toughness (i.e. -1/-1 counters). (Also indestructible is a characteristic not an ability I believe). You may be able to use "~'s chararteristics can not be changed", it would stop it ever becoming a creature, but I don't know if it really works.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-11-11 at 07:32 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    So seeing as we're in a bit of a deck mode atm, here's a terrible terrible standard deck I made
    Spoiler
    Show

-snip-
    Missing 4 Guttersnipes. They just do so much work in that kind of deck...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1258

Turn the land into any sort of creature, play Ixidron, then deal with it; for another weakness?
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Banned

So, on an entire unrelated subject, Ive been tasked with making posters for an upcoming event aimed at bringing in new people into the hobby. Which image (preferably from Standard-legal cards, but any ideas are welcome) would you use for such a thing? No Jace, its been done to death. (Cant find a hi-res Emancipation Angel :( )

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would suggest the Mindslaver artwork, as that just oozes awesome. But from standard cards...
    Armada Wurm? Thundermaw Hellkite? Jarad, Lich Lord? Vraska, the Unseen? Bonfire of the Damned? Pillar of Flame or Dryad Millitant's cool, alternate artwork?
    Oh! Oh!
    You could use Isperia, even though it's not all that good of a card, I love the artwork!
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life