New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

You know what? Since he's using Fighting, he could just be a total jerk and use an Adamant, Speed Boost Blaziken.
    Blaziken is pretty cool.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    You know what? Since he's using Fighting, he could just be a total jerk and use an Adamant, Speed Boost Blaziken.
    Blaziken is pretty cool.
    That would be pretty obnoxious. And probably net him a win, unless legendaries are allowed. The list of viable Blaziken counters is hilariously small.

3. - Top - End - #1443

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I'm not sure if Terrakion will be allowed, there is a no-legendaries clause and I don't know if it counts. I'll have to ask about that.
    As to what types are in use... I believe so far we have fire, water, ghost, psychic and steel at least, probably more that I've forgotten.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

4. - Top - End - #1444

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I'm not sure if Terrakion will be allowed, there is a no-legendaries clause and I don't know if it counts. I'll have to ask about that.
    As to what types are in use... I believe so far we have fire, water, ghost, psychic and steel at least, probably more that I've forgotten.
    Items clause, species clause, sleep clause?

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    If Terrakion isn't allowed, then neither are Cobalion, Virizion, Keldeo, or Genesect.

Also, I'm amused that none of them claimed Dragon yet. Without dipping into Legendaries, there's Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Kingdra, Flygon, Altaria, Druddigon, and Haxorus... more than enough power to make a decent team.

Or Ground: there's Excadrill and Garchomp on the killer offense side, Gliscor and Hippowdon on the tough defense side, and some others like Swampert or Unaware Quagsire for more bulk...

Of the ones that have been declared, watch out for Focus Sash Alakazam, Drizzle-toed with Swift Swim Kingdra, Heatran, and Ferrothorn... off the top of my head.

6. - Top - End - #1446

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    That would be pretty obnoxious. And probably net him a win, unless legendaries are allowed. The list of viable Blaziken counters is hilariously small.
    Would be?
    My friend has one and everytime we battle our pokes he uses it.

However, he did hate the one time I beat his single Blaziken with two level 1 Pokemon.

Are there any other clauses or limitations? Like are a certain tier of Pokemon only allowed or..?
    Busy with Life

7. - Top - End - #1447

I'm going to be honest here, I'm not sure what other rules there are. I only heard about this tournament at about the same time as I posted here, and between then and now I've had a total of roughly 15 minutes discussing it. I can merrily check out all these questions tomorrow though. I'm going to assume that Dragon probably has been taken by someone, it is a fairly obvious choice.
    I only really chose fighting because most of my favourite non-legendaries are fighting type. I may even run two machamps, they're just so cool.
    I'll ask tomorrow about item/species/sleep clauses. And thanks again for all the input, you guys have really been dead helpful.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragon problem?
    Scarf Medicham with Ice Punch
    Last edited by boj0; 2012-11-06 at 09:14 PM.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Dragon problem?
    Scarf Medicham with Ice Punch
    It's a bad revenge killer against Dragon Dancers. Assuming similar speed investment, Scarf Medicham ties with +1 Dragonite and generally loses to +1 Salamence or Haxorus, and takes a heavy hit in return. (+1 ExtremeSpeed from Dragonite misses an OHKO, but +1 Dragon Claw from any of the regulars doesn't)

If your opponent's Dragonite is at full health (thus activating Multiscale), Ice Punch misses the OHKO. Same goes with Yache Berry Salamence or Garchomp. Without previous damage, it may miss the KO on Haxorus. If these guys (other than Dragonite) have already Danced up, Medicham isn't fast enough to revenge kill.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-11-06 at 09:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1450

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    It's a bad revenge killer against Dragon Dancers. Assuming similar speed investment, Scarf Medicham ties with +1 Dragonite and generally loses to +1 Salamence or Haxorus, and takes a heavy hit in return. (+1 ExtremeSpeed from Dragonite misses an OHKO, but +1 Dragon Claw from any of the regulars doesn't)

If your opponent's Dragonite is at full health (thus activating Multiscale), Ice Punch misses the OHKO. Same goes with Yache Berry Salamence or Garchomp. Without previous damage, it may miss the KO on Haxorus. If these guys (other than Dragonite) have already Danced up, Medicham isn't fast enough to revenge kill.
    He can have up to 3 non-fighting pokemon, so Mamoswine and the like are options if he really needs a revenge killer for dragons.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

He can have up to 3 non-fighting pokemon, so Mamoswine and the like are options if he really needs a revenge killer for dragons.
    So it's not actually Fighting Team, it's Fighting Half Team But The Rest Can Be Whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No, he has to have 6 at-least-half-Fighting Pokémon, not at least half need to be Fighting.

13. - Top - End - #1453

No, he has to have 6 at-least-half-Fighting Pokémon, not at least half need to be Fighting.
    Ah. Sorry. Frickin' grammar.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, fighting isn't necessarily good at countering dragons. Pretty much take something really fast with an ice move, or something really bulky with an ice move. And be lucky more or less.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it's a pretty stupid concept, even on paper, but if you really get concerned about Multiscale, you... could... run... stealth rock... on... Infernape. I say it's stupid, because you could practically accomplish the same thing with Fake Out (but then non-Multiscale Dragonite has Inner Focus so you're screwed there) and Speed Boost Blaziken is more awesome elsewhere and has the same type. Plus, that's only Dragonite... Anyone want to check the numbers on Mienshao running a focus sash to get fake out and two HP Ices in?

On the plus side, from what we know so far, it doesn't look like Stealth Rock will be a problem (And even if it is, you'll resist it anyways)... Looks like the only Rapid Spinner available to you is a Hitmon, but you won't need that.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

Just got a female Houndour via trade... It has flamethrower, dark pulse and another two good moves... Suddenly I wish it were a male...

Now to get a pikachu so that I can chain breed wish onto eevee...

And todays dream world poke is a female sandshrew... I'd prefer female drill burrow... but dream world sand shrew ain't terrible.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-07 at 07:07 AM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

So, I now have an adamant hidden ability eevee, and I was wondering whether I should evolve it into Guts Flareon or Chlorophyll Leafeon, any recommendations?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

18. - Top - End - #1458

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    So, I now have an adamant hidden ability eevee, and I was wondering whether I should evolve it into Guts Flareon or Chlorophyll Leafeon, any recommendations?
    Leafeon. It's not great, but it at least has useful STAB moves. Unlike Flareon.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfly View Post
    Leafeon. It's not great, but it at least has useful STAB moves. Unlike Flareon.
    Okay, fair enough. Last time I ran Flareon at all seriously was a playthrough of Fire Red, so Flareon did at least have a usable Shadowball
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

20. - Top - End - #1460

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Just got a female Houndour via trade... It has flamethrower, dark pulse and another two good moves... Suddenly I wish it were a male...

Now to get a pikachu so that I can chain breed wish onto eevee...

And todays dream world poke is a female sandshrew... I'd prefer female drill burrow... but dream world sand shrew ain't terrible.
    Female Sandshrew with Sand Rush ability?
    I envy you 0-0
    A Jolly Sandshrew with Sand Rush could be an absolute beast on a Sandstorm team.
    Busy with Life

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ogre in the Playground

I envy you 0-0
    A Jolly Sandshrew with Sand Rush could be an absolute beast on a Sandstorm team.
    I can breed you a girl if you want one. Last time I checked the sex ration was 50-50 it shouldn't take many eggs.

Also I thought excadrill was better for this (they get sand rush as one of their normal abilities)
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-07 at 01:25 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I envy you 0-0
    It's mostly weaker Excadrill with higher Defense, though...

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ogre in the Playground

It's mostly weaker Excadrill with higher Defense, though...
    That's what I thought and Excadrill with mold breaker (I have male drill burr with the ability, but want a female) can counter a lot of things sand shrew cannot.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1464

I can breed you a girl if you want one. Last time I checked the sex ration was 50-50 it shouldn't take many eggs.

Also I thought excadrill was better for this (they get sand rush as one of their normal abilities)
    Except Excadrill is in Ubers

And I would love a female one if you'd be willing to get me one! Thank you! ^^
    Busy with Life

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

What's this for?

If it's random matchup battles, ignore the tiers. No one on there follows them, so you *will* see Sand Veil Garchomp, Speed Boost Blaziken, etc.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

26. - Top - End - #1466

Except I'm not using Sandslash for random match ups. I'm planning on doing a Sandstorm Ground type team for my own Pokemon VG League...
    Busy with Life

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok I will let you when I've bred a girl.

Do you have any good pokes with good dream world abilities to spare? e.g. chlorophyll bulbasaur, drought vulpix, dreamworld poliwag etc.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1468

Hey guys, so I haven't posted in a Pokemon thread (or any place on the Playground at all) for ages, but I wanted to come back for your sage advice (and because I'm terrified of Smogon forums).

First of all, it seems like my router at home is blocking out my DS WiFi connection. Can this happen? Is there a solution to this? (as in, buying an extra modem or router or whatever). I'm getting White 2 this December and I really don't want to be left out of Dream World (since, at least for almost a year, before my router change, I participated a lot of the old BW Dream World and it helped me enormously).

Secondly, yesterday I made a UU team for Showdown. I tested it, and after winning 4-1 (yes, not a lot of battles, but I had to study), I was pretty happy with myself for making a team that didn't suck too much. But that's my biased opinion, can you guys check the team for me and give me some feedback?

Spoiler
    Show

Crobat

Spoiler
    Show
    Crobat @Black Sludge
    Inner Focus
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Taunt
    - U-Turn

Crobat is my response to any leads that might want to set up SR or Spikes right away (bar Steel or Rock types) and a check for some Pokémon (I'm thinking some fighting types like Scrafty, Mienshao and possibly Heracross if I'm not switching into a SE, and some grass types like Roserade).
    I want to know if I'm missing important OHKOs if I move some EVs from Atk to HP in order to make it a bit more bulky and use Roost a bit more.

Mismagius
    Spoiler
    Show

Mismagius @Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt

A NP Mismagius that serves as a set-up special sweeper for my team. I know that Ghost+Electric does not offer the best coverage (Krookodile, Ferroseed, the rare Magneton and rarer Sawsbuck resist both attacking moves), but I'm not too keen in relying on HP Fighting (both because if I want to translate this team to my DS game it would be a total nightmare to breed it and because of the lower base power of HP). Substitute has saved me more than one time, and it helps to set up Nasty Plot more easily than just by raw prediction.

Snorlax

Spoiler
    Show

Snorlax @Leftovers
    Thick Fat
    EVs: 208 HP/124 Def/176 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Rest
    - Talk
    - Whirlwind

Yes, it's Smogon's standard but it works beautifully. Whirlwind is there to phaze and Body Slam to kill frail special sweepers if they think they can break it (or just spread paralysis willy-nilly). I like the fat sack of lard.

Heracross

Spoiler
    Show

Heracross @Choice Scarf
    Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Night Slash

The entire reason I made a UU team in the first place. Heracross is by far my favorite Pokémon in the entire series, and even though it might be a bit overused (heh) in UU, I wouldn't get rid of it for any reason whatsoever. The set, though, is debatable. I have him running a Scarf set so he can revenge kill almost anything in the tier, so running Moxie is not such a bad idea if we consider this function (I have Snorlax with Rest to sponge status). Jolly is there to outspeed other Heracross (or to tie with them) and some other <86 Speed Pokémon, even if they are Scarfed (like Honchkrow). I'm still struggling to see if this set has enough power, but for now it works.

Gligar

Spoiler
    Show

Gligar @Eviolite
    Immunity
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic

My Heracross wall and overall defensive wall for all physical attackers not sporting powerful ice attacks (I can sponge weak attacks and stall them/play mind games with Roost). Toxic is there to win stall wars and to avoid having sweepers set on me. Stealth Rock, to place some rawks if I get the chance and Earthquake to not be a sitting duck against Steel or Poison types that I can't poison (though it leaves me defenseless against other Immunity Gligars, Levitate Bronzong, Cobalion (who laughs at my EQs) and Crobat).

Slowbro

Spoiler
    Show

Gligar @Choice Specs
    Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Fire Blast
    - Grass Knot

Most people, when they see Slowbro they think "wall", but I'm using this guy as a special attacker, which has taken some of my opponents by surprise. Choice Specs vs Life Orb is a tough choice, but I think if I go the LO route, then I would have to get Slack Off, because even with Regenerator, it would die fast (consider that because of its speed, I almost always attack last).

I'm still new at Team Building and I know theorymon better than pragmatimons, so if you think I'm way off base, do not even flinch at the idea of correcting me. Thank you so much in advance.

EDIT:

Ok I will let you when I've bred a girl.

Do you have any good pokes with good dream world abilities to spare? e.g. chlorophyll bulbasaur, drought vulpix, dreamworld poliwag etc.
    I've got a Drought Vulpix and an Anticipation Eevee. Both female. I would have to fix my modem/router problem first though.
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thormag View Post
    First of all, it seems like my router at home is blocking out my DS WiFi connection. Can this happen? Is there a solution to this? (as in, buying an extra modem or router or whatever). I'm getting White 2 this December and I really don't want to be left out of Dream World (since, at least for almost a year, before my router change, I participated a lot of the old BW Dream World and it helped me enormously).
    Quite possible, even probable, though it isn't probable that the router is specifically targeting your DS. Check the router settings... DS games in general can't handle WPA security.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thormag View Post
    Check your router. I had the same problem (my wireless encryption was WPA), and eventually fixed it by noting my router's setting webpage was listed on the actual router. On investigation, my ISP (Virgin Media) has a function there to set up a guest network, in which I could choose the security coding, allowing me to set-up a WEP guest network for me to use for Pokemon.

Other alternatives include getting a compatible wireless dongle (which I also did for a bit, but which was awkward and conflicted with ZoneAlarm and eventually, as the latter improved, stopped working at all (leading me to end up with the former solution).