New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #2: Its time to Celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    One of the examples I was given when told about Changeling, was an exalt. They were. Solar who conquered in the name of the Undying Sun, and rule Creation... Only to find they were really a Bright One with a tinfoil sword on their keeper's stage, who applauded and, story finished, let them go.
    That is amazing. Definitely want to do something similar now.

So, what I was going for, is an Uratha who remembers what it was like to be human, finds their way into Shadow, and out the other side... Only to find she's actually one of the lost, with fur and teeth and claws and a keen sense of smell.
    Hunterheart Beast with Contracts of Fang and Talon (Wolves) 2 covers all of that, without getting into variant rules. That said, you can do it any way you like, this is probably just the easiest.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Banned

frown Re: General WoD Discussion #2: Its time to Celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    That is amazing. Definitely want to do something similar now.
    This guy is single-handedly responsible for my slant-wise view of world of darkness. On the one hand, my understanding doesn't match up with others very often. On the other, the quality of games is outlandishly high whenever he is directly involved. Its part of why I feel that if you want high power combat, you don't want world o darkness; there are enter engines that can get you there so much easier, and do a better job.

But for interpersonal horror, it's a damn fine system.

Hunterheart Beast with Contracts of Fang and Talon (Wolves) 2 covers all of that, without getting into variant rules. That said, you can do it any way you like, this is probably just the easiest.
    Huh. You're right. I'd never really paid attention to that contract line – I always thought about it in terms of like, deer or hummingbirds. So the sense thing passed me by, although now I know how Batsy was using echolocation!

Either way, you'll need contracts or a merit. I think a Cyclopean with scent the blood, and the lethal mien merit is a better pick than a hunter heart with contracts, but only because a mien's blessing is, like, always on and the contract isn't. Hunter heart has better access to other things, though. Hm.

Okay, so this means I've effectively made a changeling!mage, a Changeling!vampire, and now a changeling!werewolf. Just need I get ahold of Geist and Promethean, and go from there.

...could I make a changeling!changeling, I wonder? Add dreams, do inception?

3. - Top - End - #843

See, the issue I have with using Cyclopean as your main kith is that that doesn't really evoke the feeling of a changeling who changed into a wolf or wolf-monster. Of course, that could just be me.

Changeling!sin-eater can be done using the Gravewight kith and the Contracts of Shade and Spirit, which allow the changeling to interact with ghosts, enable ghosts to interact with the living world, and open gates to the Underworld. Congratulations, you are now (functionally) a sin-eater. You don't even need to use the gravewight for it, if you don't want to. Gravewight just fits the theme.

As for a changeling prommy, I have no idea.
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Banned

See, the issue I have with using Cyclopean as your main kith is that that doesn't really evoke the feeling of a changeling who changed into a wolf or wolf-monster. Of course, that could just be me.
    Well, "Ogre" is just strong, uncomposed, and easy access to Strength contracts (mimicking gifts and changing more closely) while Cyclopean is literally just "ogre with keen, non-visual senses". I prefer to break the kits down into their fall-out, along with attributes. So many arguments became easier when Manipulation wasn't manipulative, it was social finesse.

Changeling!sin-eater can be done using the Gravewight kith and the Contracts of Shade and Spirit, which allow the changeling to interact with ghosts, enable ghosts to interact with the living world, and open gates to the Underworld. Congratulations, you are now (functionally) a sin-eater. You don't even need to use the gravewight for it, if you don't want to. Gravewight just fits the theme.

As for a changeling prommy, I have no idea.
    That's what I thought, but I don't even have the information to see what that's all about. Everything I know about geist is from this thread.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I'm sure it can work easily enough, if people bother to pay attention to the parameters that 3.5 tiers are actually graded on rather than turning it into "who could beat whom in a fight."
    Even the proper usage of 3.5 tiers completely fails in nWoD. It's just a completely different narrative environment.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, so this means I've effectively made a changeling!mage, a Changeling!vampire, and now a changeling!werewolf. Just need I get ahold of Geist and Promethean, and go from there.

...could I make a changeling!changeling, I wonder? Add dreams, do inception?
    Ok, I'm intrigued. How did you make a changeling!mage?

7. - Top - End - #847
    Firbolg in the Playground

How about a changeling!mummy? He claims to hail from old Irem, and to have wandered through Duat only to discover that the realm of the dead was really Arcadia, and the Judges simply Fae Keepers tormenting a lost soul. Normally, such claims would be dismissed as fae trickery or simple madness brought on by a harsh Durance... but he does speak fluent Iremite, and some of the things he describes stir long-buried memories in the minds of the Arisen. Could he be a mortal who stumbled into an Arcadian facsimile of Duat during Irem's glory, only emerging thousands of years later? Between the curious Arisen who wish to learn all they can from him before they are called by to the Judges, the orthodox Arisen who wish to destroy this fae deceiver before he can confuse them with his bizarre jests, and the mysterious wasting disease (a parody of the time limits imposed by the Descent) that ravages his body while stubbornly ignoring contracts and goblin fruits, this man's Durance will prove to be just the beginning of his problems...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Even the proper usage of 3.5 tiers completely fails in nWoD. It's just a completely different narrative environment.
    This is how I see it. NwoD is better than OWoD in that its various splats actually work off the same ruleset, so you can include them in one story without severe houserules, but they're not actually supposed to, narrative-wise, go out drinking together the way a D&D party is meant to, so inter-splat power balance (compared to inter-splat rules compatibility) is not even a remote concern. At best, it's a warning for antagonists - a mage is going to need to be handled carefully to be an BBEG versus vampires.

9. - Top - End - #849

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    This is how I see it. NwoD is better than OWoD in that its various splats actually work off the same ruleset, so you can include them in one story without severe houserules, but they're not actually supposed to, narrative-wise, go out drinking together the way a D&D party is meant to, so inter-splat power balance (compared to inter-splat rules compatibility) is not even a remote concern. At best, it's a warning for antagonists - a mage is going to need to be handled carefully to be an BBEG versus vampires.
    I think people underestimate how often cross-splat parties get put together. A lot of premises of RPG games come from other media; people saying, "wouldn't it be cool if we did X" rather than just sticking to the scenarios in the books.

Think about the kinds of books/shows/movies people might look to WoD to handle;

Angel / Buffy: We've got Vampires, Mages / Thaumaturges, Hunters, and Dark Heroes (or whatever template Slayers and Groosaluggs get) all in the same group. More depending on how you want to represent Buffyverse "Demons" and "Half/Ex Demons." The villains get even more diverse.

Dresden Files: We've got a Mage main character and damn near every other splat represented as satellite characters or villains.

Underworld: Or pretty much any other Vampire v Werewolf story, including The Vampire Romance Novel Which Must Not Be Named.

Most Urban Fantasy stuff dips into a deep well of myths, and it makes no sense to fence the various splats off and say a Werewolf will never find itself hunted by the Wild Hunt, or a Mummy will never have to deal with grave-robbing Mages looking for pre-Deluge artifacts.

10. - Top - End - #850

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    I think people underestimate how often cross-splat parties get put together. A lot of premises of RPG games come from other media; people saying, "wouldn't it be cool if we did X" rather than just sticking to the scenarios in the books.
    Yup. Full disclosure, with my IRL group, I have never been in a singe-splat game. Ever. Even when the premise is "You're all monster hunters, part of a large organization dedicated to hunting monsters," were we all Hunters with TF:V or another conspiracy? Or even a group of conspiracies? Nope! We had an Ascending One, a vampire, a werewolf, another werewolf, I wanna say a sin-eater, and maybe a Malleus Maleficarum priest? I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Underworld: Or pretty much any other Vampire v Werewolf story, including The Vampire Sparkle Fairy Romance "Novel" Which Must Not Be Named.
    Fixed that for you.

11. - Top - End - #851

I still posit that the Twilight "vampires" aren't fairies, either; they're clearly the results of alien nanite-based technology.

Insane Ramblings
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, think about it: the "vampires" are affected down to the cellular level by the presence of a substance in their systems; introduce this substance to a regular human, and it will start working on that person, too. It keeps them in top condition, perfecting their weaknesses and even bestowing what seem like improbable superpowers that shouldn't exist in a world of science and not magic. Sounds like just the sort of thing a batch of nanites could do, yeah? Either that, or it's just magic. But it's not magic. Because the author said so. So who made these nanites? Couldn't have been humans; our tech's not that advanced, and even if it was, the sparklepires have been around longer than that; some of them are as old as the Roman Empire. Who, then? Aliens. Aliens made the nanites, and started the whole thing. They were also probably the ones who killed the real vampires, too, so that their hellish abominations could exist without competition.

As for why the aliens would do such a thing, my guess is that they need to generate massively-dense objects, possibly for some sort of black hole project.

You see, the sparklepires drink and drink and drink blood, but never, ever excrete. They don't sweat or vomit or pee or poop or breathe or do anything that would stop them gaining mass as they continue their eternal existence; see, in other vampire media, the blood is consumed by the magic fueling the vampire's unlife to maintain its dark powers or whatever; hey, it's magic. That doesn't happen here.

So logically by the time one gets to the age of a Methuselah from VtR, you have a millions-pound mass confined in a human-sized space. Just think on that for a sec.

Alternatively, the extra mass is done away with in a fashion that seems to break the Law of Conservation of Matter. That's not the only natural law they break, though.

See, the "vampires" are also always ice-cold to the touch, even when logic dictates that if their bodies aren't working to maintain human temperatures, they'd only be at around room temperature. So perhaps the nanites are serving to siphon off heat energy from our planet and beam the energy to the alien home world. I dunno, makes more sense than what Meyer wrote!
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2013-04-02 at 08:31 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

12. - Top - End - #852

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I still posit that the Twilight "vampires" aren't fairies, either; they're clearly the results of alien nanite-based technology.

Insane Ramblings
    Spoiler
    Show
    As for why the aliens would do such a thing, my guess is that they need to generate massively-dense objects, possibly for some sort of black hole project.

You see, the sparklepires drink and drink and drink blood, but never, ever excrete. They don't sweat or vomit or pee or poop or breathe or do anything that would stop them gaining mass as they continue their eternal existence; see, in other vampire media, the blood is consumed by the magic fueling the vampire's unlife to maintain its dark powers or whatever; hey, it's magic. That doesn't happen here.

So logically by the time one gets to the age of a Methuselah from VtR, you have a millions-pound mass confined in a human-sized space. Just think on that for a sec.

Alternatively, the extra mass is done away with in a fashion that seems to break the Law of Conservation of Matter. That's not the only natural law they break, though.

See, the "vampires" are also always ice-cold to the touch, even when logic dictates that if their bodies aren't working to maintain human temperatures, they'd only be at around room temperature. So perhaps the nanites are serving to siphon off heat energy from our planet and beam the energy to the alien home world. I dunno, makes more sense than what Meyer wrote!
    See if that's true, I might have to believe that her other alien book is connected to this.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

13. - Top - End - #853

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

Insane Ramblings
    Spoiler
    Show

I never thought I'd bother with head-canon for that series beyond the typical "a real vampire/hunter/Slayer shows up and offs all of them, especially the Mary Sue and her little abomination." But now I am. This makes so much sense.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Hello guys. I have another changeling question.

I've got experience saved up to bump up to wyrd 6 (and I intend to go for wyrd 7, too) but in order to actually get it, I need to write some kind of storyline for my character so she can improve to the higher ranks.

My character is a snowskin di-cang summer changeling who's made a claim (successfully) for the crown. She doesn't spend a lot of time in the hedge and only goes there if people are in danger or she's made a deal to do something there. I've read through the wyrd chapter in Equinox Road but that seems more relevant to gentry proper, and forging a contract seems like a pretty cool idea, except without being wyrd 6+ I probably won't survive the trek to arcadia.

Basically, I don't have a lot of ideas. I sort of suspect a run of the mill kill something for more xps thing won't cut it. The only thing that's been suggested to me has been to carve out a hollow, but I don't find that particularly compelling or interesting, and also don't really want to buy one as opposed to saving for wyrd 7.

Any thoughts on the matter would be great!
    Last edited by imany; 2013-04-02 at 11:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

As your the Summer Monarch, perhaps something for your Court or Freehold. Construct a fortress in the Hedge to gaurd the borders of the Freehold, forge an alliance with a tribe of Hobs or some powerful entity of the Hedge or another Freehold. Or lead your Freehold to conquer any of the above
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by imany View Post
    Hello guys. I have another changeling question.

I've got experience saved up to bump up to wyrd 6 (and I intend to go for wyrd 7, too) but in order to actually get it, I need to write some kind of storyline for my character so she can improve to the higher ranks.

My character is a snowskin di-cang summer changeling who's made a claim (successfully) for the crown. She doesn't spend a lot of time in the hedge and only goes there if people are in danger or she's made a deal to do something there. I've read through the wyrd chapter in Equinox Road but that seems more relevant to gentry proper, and forging a contract seems like a pretty cool idea, except without being wyrd 6+ I probably won't survive the trek to arcadia.

Basically, I don't have a lot of ideas. I sort of suspect a run of the mill kill something for more xps thing won't cut it. The only thing that's been suggested to me has been to carve out a hollow, but I don't find that particularly compelling or interesting, and also don't really want to buy one as opposed to saving for wyrd 7.

Any thoughts on the matter would be great!
    Payback on the Gentry? Lure your Keeper to the Hedge, then ambush him and rip him to pieces. If you're Wyrd 6 and have a few equally buff pals in a motley and a court full of minions... You should be able to pull it off.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Payback on the Gentry? Lure your Keeper to the Hedge, then ambush him and rip him to pieces. If you're Wyrd 6 and have a few equally buff pals in a motley and a court full of minions... You should be able to pull it off.
    Ahahaha
    No.

Your 'keeper' will instant-kill you from anywhere with their magical bow. Or always hit and pierce your heart from across the world, or kill everyone in the room with one swipe of its sword.

And you can't do anything to it because it's armour makes it immune to spells and only vulnerable to firearms (protip: due to reducing bashing this means you can't hurt it).

And this is a weak keeper.

The safest place for a keepers titles is all together. This way, only other true fae (and mages, but that takes a lot of effort on the mages part) can have a chance in touching them.
    You are a changeling. You are powerful, but do not have diceless weapons which just follow their legendary properties perfectly. You are not only able to be harmed by firearms. Your bow does not always hit it's target in the bodypart aimed for.
    You are not a minor gentry. You do not have a chance.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The True Fae are not relentless optimizers. They are bound by the rules of the story, even when it would go against them. Learn that story and exploit it and they become very difficult instead of unbeatable. Makes for a much better game than 'lolmageswineverything', in the end.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Over at RPG.net, a few fans of Genius: The Transgression are planning a play-by-post game, since it seems so hard to find games already running online.

(If you haven't heard of it, it's a fan-made game for the new World of Darkness, where you play a mad scientist. You can find the latest version here.)

The Chronicle will, at least at first, be focused on Voltt City, a realm created from all the discarded criticisms/stereotypes of Evil Capitalist America left behind by the collapse of communism as a political force. It will envolve both combat and diplomacy/investigative elements, and characters should be able to hold their own both in and out of combat. Beyond that, there are really no restrictions on characters; go nuts.

If any of you enjoy playing Genius, or are just fans of Mad Science and/or the nWoD who are interested in this "Genius" lark the kids are talking about, post your character concept here or on the RPG.net thread.

Since we've had some trouble with people dropping out and everyone else getting bored and leaving while we wait for them, so if anyone can't post for more than two days in a row the ST (me!) will control their character until they get back. Anyone with secret agendas who's worried thy might be unable to post should PM me. If you're interested but are going to be busy or otherwise likely to drop out, PM me and I'll let you help out with some secondary characters.

So! Anyone up for some Genius?

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by Scottzar View Post
    Ahahaha
    No.

Your 'keeper' will instant-kill you from anywhere with their magical bow. Or always hit and pierce your heart from across the world, or kill everyone in the room with one swipe of its sword.

And you can't do anything to it because it's armour makes it immune to spells and only vulnerable to firearms (protip: due to reducing bashing this means you can't hurt it).

The safest place for a keepers titles is all together. This way, only other true fae (and mages, but that takes a lot of effort on the mages part) can have a chance in touching them.
    You are a changeling. You are powerful, but do not have diceless weapons which just follow their legendary properties perfectly. You are not only able to be harmed by firearms. Your bow does not always hit it's target in the bodypart aimed for.
    You are not a minor gentry. You do not have a chance.
    Where are you getting this? Sure, in Arcadia, the Keepers are nigh-invulnerable, but even there, they have to be beatable. It's part of the narrative that sustains them.

Anything made of cold iron can damage the True Fae. If it's a weapon made of cold iron, that's aggravated damage that they can't protect themselves from. Cold iron explicitly cuts through fae magic, so even Prop armor that perfectly protects against weapons can't save the Actor wearing it. And the Actor will be slain by it.

As for those weapons, that sword may be able to kill anyone it strikes, but it cannot be guaranteed to strike whomever it is swung at. That bow may be guaranteed to strike whatever body part at which it's aimed, but it can still be stopped by armor.

The True Fae are functional gods in Arcadia and within their own realms, yes. They are nigh-omnipotent, and they are worthy of much fear, awe, and respect. But if they wish to survive, they must constrain themselves and their power. When they take the form of an Actor, Prop, Wisp, or Realm, their omnipotence is constrained to allow for the conflict on which they thrive.

A changeling can beat a True Fae. It may not be easy, and it may not last, but it can be done.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, no. It isn't. That's a Keeper you've designed to smack down changelings. Or... I guess just made up? How is he doing that stuff if he isn't in Arcadia?

The numerous statted out True Fae characters White Wolf wrote are mostly well within reason as a fight for a Wyrd 6 Motley. In fact a good chunk of them would be a pushover. Out of Arcadia, True Fae have been presented as Wyrd 3(!) to 10 characters with a good array of contracts and abilities, probably with a hefty retinue of Hobgoblins attending them.

I'd hope that if the player lays out his intention to the ST, the Storyteller will attempt to give him a difficult but surmountable challenge in game. Or present him with an encounter that seems far too difficult thus presenting an interesting character choice. Or do something else fun with it.

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    The numerous statted out True Fae characters White Wolf wrote are mostly well within reason as a fight for a Wyrd 6 Motley. In fact a good chunk of them would be a pushover. Out of Arcadia, True Fae have been presented as Wyrd 3(!) to 10 characters with a good array of contracts and abilities, probably with a hefty retinue of Hobgoblins attending them.
    Mostly, though, those True Fae are the ones that are banished from Arcadia and have a large chunk of their powers removed in the process. All of the Fae in Autumn Nightmares, for example, are banished from Arcadia. True Fae are things with the Arcadian Huntsman, p.277 in the core book, as an average specimen. Wyrd 8, 5 dots in 4 contracts, 6 in a number of skills and a stat, and a large pack of Briarwolves and quite possibly Beast Seeming Changelings. If you include Rites of Spring, they also may or may not have a Goblin Vow with every aspect of reality to boot.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

Mostly, though, those True Fae are the ones that are banished from Arcadia and have a large chunk of their powers removed in the process. All of the Fae in Autumn Nightmares, for example, are banished from Arcadia. True Fae are things with the Arcadian Huntsman, p.277 in the core book, as an average specimen. Wyrd 8, 5 dots in 4 contracts, 6 in a number of skills and a stat, and a large pack of Briarwolves and quite possibly Beast Seeming Changelings. If you include Rites of Spring, they also may or may not have a Goblin Vow with every aspect of reality to boot.
    Amd the Arcadian Huntsman is a really good example of a True Fae that would be a good, difficult, challenge for a prepared Wyrd 6 Motley.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Erk, sorry, I should clarify.

My character is Wyrd 5 and has the xp to buy Wyrd 6 and half of Wyrd 7 saved up. As on grid changelings go, she is the most powerful Wyrd-wise and also lacks a motley, so killing Gentry will be tough. Other changelings range from Wyrd 2-4 I think, and my character is the most combat-oriented at this time, though we've got a couple of new characters now.

Luring my Keeper out may work once I've gotten to Wyrd 7 (in my head my character's Keeper is probably pretty strong, since she came out pretty strong, too) but I need a storyline just to get to Wyrd 6 right now. Basically, I should be reading Autumn Nightmares, right? I will do that when I get home then.
    Last edited by imany; 2013-04-02 at 05:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

You said you don't want to make a Hollow partly because it's expensive, right? I have something that might help with that and make it more interesting...

You're the Summer Queen; you have a court now. Get them to make it with you, and make it open to anyone in your court, as a symbol of the bond that now ties you all together.

If you want to take things further, you could probably even put a few doctors/healers there, and open it up to any Changeling in need, to symbolize your duty to protect all, regardless of Court, and craft a pledge that calling on such aid would bind them to, holding them to the rules of the Hollow until such time as they leave.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Arcadian hunter is a title. It is not a Fae in it's entirety. If you were somehow to convince a Fae to risk itself, it would come in all it's terrible glory. A sword which always hits assumes 5 + titles instant successes. This is more than enough to kill the majority of wyrd 5 changelings.

True Fae aren't much more powerful in Arcadia. They are just dicelessly godlike regardless. This isn't even considering the fact that their retinue will outnumber the entire freehold easily.

I keep calling the wonderful Equinox Road Autumn Nightmares, even though AN is crap and ER is the best White Wolf book I've read.

Equinox Road is the end game book. If you are going to Wyrd 7+, you need it, because you get bonus's and minus's instantly. It's left sort of vague as to whether you can choose to not get them, but they aren't listed as a houserule/optional rule so huzzah for actually solid rules in a WW product.
    Last edited by Eisenfavl; 2013-04-02 at 11:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #867

Arcadian hunter is a title. It is not a Fae in it's entirety. If you were somehow to convince a Fae to risk itself, it would come in all it's terrible glory. A sword which always hits assumes 5 + titles instant successes. This is more than enough to kill the majority of wyrd 5 changelings.
    Why would it do that? Coming in with all of its titles on the field is a needless risk. Plus, it may only have one title to play with. Most True Fae would prefer to leave one or more titles back home, so that, if the worst should happen, they will still have something to fall back on. Only a very stupid faerie manifests all of its titles when leaving Arcadia.

True Fae aren't much more powerful in Arcadia. They are just dicelessly godlike regardless. This isn't even considering the fact that their retinue will outnumber the entire freehold easily.
    No they are not. An actor is incredibly powerful, yes, but it can be killed. If the True Fae were really "dicelessly godlike," they'd all starve, because they would never be able to experience meaningful conflict.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why would it do that? Coming in with all of its titles on the field is a needless risk. Plus, it may only have one title to play with. Most True Fae would prefer to leave one or more titles back home, so that, if the worst should happen, they will still have something to fall back on. Only a very stupid faerie manifests all of its titles when leaving Arcadia.

No they are not. An actor is incredibly powerful, yes, but it can be killed. If the True Fae were really "dicelessly godlike," they'd all starve, because they would never be able to experience meaningful conflict.
    Any true fae with one title to play with isn't going to come to the mortal realm. It's got pretty good chances at harassing someone via spiteful legend or attacking high-title fae to get more titles, which is significantly less risky than attacking a changeling with a prop (the only item a Fae would realistically be drawn out by)

Also having your titles out in the real world is safety measure. In the real world, other True Fae can't do jack to you, and they're pretty much the only thing a multi-title true fae would ever lose to in a fight, so you don't have to worry about titles dying in the real world (assuming mages don't exist, because >Mages).

Leaving one title in Arcadia means that you don't have your full mind IN Arcadia, thinking about the story, and instead have a fragment of the knowledge of even a title-less Fae. THIS, this is suicide.

True Fae are undeniably dicelessly godlike. Sure, actors are just powerful changelings, but props (and realms, but that's not really relevant) are hideously overpowered and nigh-indestructable.
    Also your logic is inherently invalid. Arcadia is full of dicelessly godlike beings who must have difficult conflict to grow and survive. The only difficult conflicts are with other dicelessly godlike beings. Hmmmm. Hard to see where you'd find dicelessly godlike beings in a realm of dicelessly godlike beings.

For anyone who actually knows Changeling fluff well:
    What's your headcannon regarding the fate of 6+ title Kindly Ones?

29. - Top - End - #869

Any true fae with one title to play with isn't going to come to the mortal realm. It's got pretty good chances at harassing someone via spiteful legend or attacking high-title fae to get more titles, which is significantly less risky than attacking a changeling with a prop (the only item a Fae would realistically be drawn out by)
    A 1-title Fae is either a newly-formed Fae, or one that has been losing its Feud very badly for quite some time. Besides, it could have plenty of reasons to go harass a changeling. Maybe it wants its old slave back to help it regain some titles. Maybe part of its legend involves it coming to earth, regardless of its number of title. Maybe it just wants to grab more slaves, as changelings can provide the conflict it needs to survive without it having to risk its title against other True Fae until it can gain a back-up title or two. It may not even be planning to go anywhere near the Freehold. Besides, it has to send an actor (or a wisp legion, I suppose) to carry its prop(s).

Also having your titles out in the real world is safety measure. In the real world, other True Fae can't do jack to you, and they're pretty much the only thing a multi-title true fae would ever lose to in a fight, so you don't have to worry about titles dying in the real world (assuming mages don't exist, because >Mages).
    Having a prop in the real world is a safety measure. And yes, the other True Fae can strike you down in the real world. If an actor is killed, or a prop destroyed in the real world, that title is severed.

Leaving one title in Arcadia means that you don't have your full mind IN Arcadia, thinking about the story, and instead have a fragment of the knowledge of even a title-less Fae. THIS, this is suicide.
    Sending any of your titles to earth means you don't have your full mind in Arcadia. Props can't communicate with Actors or Wisps unless they're in Arcadia. If they're not, they're on their own. Besides, the Fae itself would remain in Arcadia. It loses contact with any of its Titles it sends to earth until they return, regardless of how many that is. If the Fae's main consciousness, the single most vulnerable part of it, is forced to remain in Arcadia, why would it send all of its titles to Earth, where they can be destroyed by changelings or captured by other True Fae and dragged back to Arcadia to be subsumed before their owner realizes what's happened?

True Fae are undeniably dicelessly godlike. Sure, actors are just powerful changelings, but props (and realms, but that's not really relevant) are hideously overpowered and nigh-indestructable.
    Every prop has a weakness, and hints of what that weakness is. Every real is hospitable, and has a single point at which it can be destroyed. When the True Fae take on any form, they willingly constrain their own omnipotence s that they may experience meaningful conflict. Yes, this usually comes from other True Fae. Sometimes it comes from the human slaves the Fae has captured and dragged back to Arcadia. Further, you're overestimating props. The only time they get those 5+Titles automatic successes is when they're relevant to what the prop's power is. Every prop's power is very narrow. A toolkit that can repair any engine doesn't automatically provide 5+titles successes to someone using it to build a house; it provides its normal equipment bonus. A sword that always strikes true doesn't provide 5+titles automatic successes on its attack, it would simply be guaranteed to do at least 1 damage on each attack.

Also your logic is inherently invalid. Arcadia is full of dicelessly godlike beings who must have difficult conflict to grow and survive. The only difficult conflicts are with other dicelessly godlike beings. Hmmmm. Hard to see where you'd find dicelessly godlike beings in a realm of dicelessly godlike beings.
    Did you even read the "Omnipotence Constrained" section? Yes, a raw True Fae is dicelessly godlike. No, none of its forms are. That's the whole point of taking forms. The True Fae must take these lesser forms so that they may experience struggle and conflict, whether through feuds with other True Fae, or through interaction with captured humans, who aren't bound by the law of the feud.

For anyone who actually knows Changeling fluff well:
    What's your headcannon regarding the fate of 6+ title Kindly Ones?
    They're absurdly powerful Fae who still need conflict to survive, lest they begin to lose those titles? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

Guys, can we please use some etiquette of polite debating? Provide sources for your claims at least? Because so far I'm seeing a lot of speculative and not much substantial claims.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.