New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Yeah. Devil Tiger isn't a political term any more than "solar" or "patropolis" is a political term. They're both exalts with mechanical definitions. The assumption is that devil tigers will be reviled by the yozis as a political definition, but that's the only one I can think of that isn't tied to mechanics and it isn't necessarily fixed.

One thing I was wondering about, would a Devil Tiger who took Yozi Body Unity be immune to Primordial spirit killing charms in the same way that primordials are?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Well, one could argue that the downside is greater than the ups,
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far: A wide open perspective, and the sheer skill at long-term survival and determination to improve oneself it takes to become an Essence 10 being with several Essence 9 Sub-selves after being born a mortal are very useful things to have. A Devil Tiger would probably lose a one-on-one fight with a Yozi, but he might hold the advantage with time to prepare for the confrontation.

but the thrust of my point was that they were different.
    Certainly true.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by omegalith View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far: A wide open perspective, and the sheer skill at long-term survival and determination to improve oneself it takes to become an Essence 10 being with several Essence 9 Sub-selves after being born a mortal are very useful things to have. A Devil Tiger would probably lose a one-on-one fight with a Yozi, but he might hold the advantage with time to prepare for the confrontation.
    If you agree with my conclusion, why did you take the time to complain about my method? ?_? xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    The assumption is that devil tigers will be reviled by the yozis as a political definition... ...isn't necessarily fixed.
    Yeah, that's the wonders of social charms for ya. Especially if you present yourself as willing to help.

Devil Tiger Concept: Fray-Shar, Attentive Crane of Public Broadcasts.

"Hello Creation, I'm Listening."

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    If you agree with my conclusion, why did you take the time to complain about my method? ?_? xD
    I just felt like commenting on the "They're primordials+" bit, which I've heard said a lot.

I can see why that's said, particularly since they can learn from their predecessor's mistakes, it just seems slightly oversimplified.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's the wonders of social charms for ya. Especially if you present yourself as willing to help.

Devil Tiger Concept: Fray-Shar, Attentive Crane of Public Broadcasts.

"Hello Creation, I'm Listening."
    ...I now love you.

I just felt like commenting on the "They're primordials+" bit, which I've heard said a lot.

I can see why that's said, particularly since they can learn from their predecessor's mistakes, it just seems slightly oversimplified.
    Well yeah, I was oversimplifying. I didn't want to do the full explanation xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Re-recruiting for my Heaven's Reach game. Would like a few more people invovled.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Re-recruiting for my Heaven's Reach game. Would like a few more people invovled.
    Hmm... Actually playing the game instead of reading about it might be interesting, but I have an absolutely terrible track record of dropping out of actually playing in or running online RPG's I commit to.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

So.... I want to play a Count of Monte Cristo style Exalted game... anyone interested in running/also playing?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    So.... I want to play a Count of Monte Cristo style Exalted game... anyone interested in running/also playing?
    Can it be the anime version? There's a swordfight in a house made of gold that contains a full ocean. How is that not awesome?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

It can be in any of the Shards, though Burn Legend is probably the hardest to do it in along with Gunstar.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

It can be in any of the Shards, though Burn Legend is probably the hardest to do it in along with Gunstar.
    I'm down with playing, if you'll accept a new player who doesn't know much about the mechanics of exalted or anything about the count of Monte Cristo. I'd prefer either standard exalted or modern shard.
    Last edited by lord pringle; 2012-10-10 at 12:14 AM.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Troll in the Playground

The Count of Monte Cristo can be summed up in one trope:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...mpageOfRevenge
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be interested, but honestly the only Shard that really caught my attention enough to read the whole thing was Gunstar.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly don't see what's so great about Gunstar. It makes playing mixed type games fairly hard, it's far more black and white than vanilla, and what the heck is a 'gun'?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly don't see what's so great about Gunstar. It makes playing mixed type games fairly hard, it's far more black and white than vanilla, and what the heck is a 'gun'?
    It actually makes playing mixed games a lot easier with anything except Infernals, I found?

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

Mixed games are pretty simple (barring Infernals and Abyssals, which are hard to handle), and I wouldn't say it's black and white. It's true that there's a nominal Good Guy faction and a definite Bad Guy faction, but I think the writers went to a great deal of trouble to avoid characterizing the Gunstar as either a dystopia (where ancient Solar dictators rule without question) or utopia (where all of humanity is united against the Bad Guys). It's relatively easy to play a straightforward game where the heroes of the Gunstar battle the demonic armies of the evil Titans; it's also easy to play a gloomy game exploring the darkest aspects of the endless war and all the depths that tired, desperate people will sink to. And it's easy to go for something in between, if you don't care for GRIMDARK but want something a little more nuanced than four-color superheroes.

It is a little weird that they exclude firearms, though.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Troll in the Playground

An expansion that gives me more chances to play Alchies and makes it less likely I'll have to deal with annoying Infernals? What's not to like?

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Banned

I wrote some maiden sutras, PEACH? I love the concept of SMA but they take a long time to make, and the poems are my favorite part :P
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Keen Maiden

There once was a keen maiden,
    whose perception never failed.
    She the beginning of saffron Journeys,
    felt the cerulean Serenities,
    tasted the crimson Battles,
    heard the ivy Secrets,
    and smelled the coming of a violet Ending.
    “Fate is obvious,” she said,
    and returned to her adoration.

The Small Maiden

There once was a small maiden,
    locked in a room.
    She only had strings and spiders
    to play with.
    Her sisters didn’t let her out to frolic.
    The maiden felt the five-score host
    play with her things,
    but they never came for tea.
    Soon she forgot,
    and went to a particularly nice strand.
    “Life is what you make it,” she said,
    and pulled out a pair of scissors.

The Sickly Maiden

There once was a sickly maiden,
    for whom no Medicine could help.
    She suffered and shivered
    from the chills, and one last joke.
    Her trials were available,
    for all to see,
    said her mirror.
    “Beauty is imperfection,” she whispered,
    and pounded on her reflection.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

Big plus for Gunstar: If you're using a system other than the Exalted Storyteller System, you have a whole slew of new Infernals to use. Castes and Charm Sets are available for all of the Titans, and you're not limited to there only being 50 of the Titanic Exalted. You can play a Pompadour-Caste Isidoros/Oramus 'fernal in a party with a Sovereign, Demagogue, Nomnoms, and Heaven-Piercing Drill - and you all have a very clear enemy in the giant ball of guns housing the gleefully-soul-mutilating upstart rebels who tried to end the world by inflicting eternal agony on a group of people who are neither aware that they are doing wrong, nor have committed any wrong of eternal scope.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2012-10-10 at 02:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OK, sign me up for the Monte Cristo game. I'd prefer standard Exalted. So who gets to be the Count?

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

Obviously, the whole circle got screwed over
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

Is any particular exalt type preferred or banned?

24. - Top - End - #1254

RedWizardGuy

Obviously, the whole circle got screwed over
    Makes sense.

As for the Shards, I love Gunstar but I'm a little underwhelmed with the others. The problem is that the basic ideas of Exaltations and the Primordial War are so central to the game that mucking around with them leaves you with something that feels too generic.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Is any particular exalt type preferred or banned?
    I'm guessing Alchies would be very hard to do.

For some reason, I always find myself drawn to playing a Zenith though.

And I would much prefer if the person stepping up to ST the game ran it on Rpol, it's more focused towards pbp there.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Big plus for Gunstar: If you're using a system other than the Exalted Storyteller System, you have a whole slew of new Infernals to use. Castes and Charm Sets are available for all of the Titans, and you're not limited to there only being 50 of the Titanic Exalted. You can play a Pompadour-Caste Isidoros/Oramus 'fernal in a party with a Sovereign, Demagogue, Nomnoms, and Heaven-Piercing Drill - and you all have a very clear enemy in the giant ball of guns housing the gleefully-soul-mutilating upstart rebels who tried to end the world by inflicting eternal agony on a group of people who are neither aware that they are doing wrong, nor have committed any wrong of eternal scope.
    Yeah, it's much easier to support the opinion "Let's not kill the rulers of the universe" Than it is to support the opinion "Let's release the crippled and insane rulers of the universe who want to exact painful revenge on pretty much everyone".

27. - Top - End - #1257

If it's a live game, I'm all for it.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

I'm guessing Alchies would be very hard to do.
    Lies and heresy!

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    An expansion that gives me more chances to play Alchies and makes it less likely I'll have to deal with annoying Infernals? What's not to like?
    Why can't the two best exalt types just be friends?

Seriously, what is so annoying about Infernals? They might lend themselves to angst and wangst a bit more than most exalts, but Abyssals are even worse in that regard, and Soulsteel and Adamant Castes can also be angsty.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Seriously, what is so annoying about Infernals?
    If I had to guess, it's that some people less enthusiastic about them will feel like they can see everyone coming up with their own plans to make a super special unique Devil Tiger who can solve all the setting's problems.

...They do seem the most talked about group right now, at any rate.