New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Default Re: Annoying DnD stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Perform (Sexual Acts) is third party last i checked
    It's all we have to go by. So I stand by what I said. Unless WOTC comes out with an official word, I'm going to stick by this to the bitter end!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    It's all we have to go by. So I stand by what I said. Unless WOTC comes out with an official word, I'm going to stick by this to the bitter end!
    you really want to consider THAT supplement correct at all?

im more ok with EN-Armory's Chainmail Bikini supplement
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-08-01 at 12:53 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    im more ok with EN-Armory's Chainmail Bikini supplement
    Yeah, at least that one doesn't try to take itself so seriously...

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Probably not only applicable to my experiences.

There must ALWAYS be some sort of amnesiac with a dark past, either in the group, or as an enemy/ally/plot hook/etc.
    Every. Single. Time.

If the group members all have a good alignment, they can do no wrong
    Seriously, what the hell. I had a group once where they decided to slaughter an entire village (whole population including the elderly, infirm, and non-combatants) of regular people because they didn't give up one evil person that pinged the paladin's Detect Evil (I tend to call this the Pending Murder detector), claiming that the village was aiding evil in the world.

Evil governments must not care about it's citizens and have no legal rights, while good governments must be compassionate, non-tyrannical, and believe in helping the masses
    Yeah.... I have messed with this on many occasions, the 'evil' government that has free medical care and codified law systems that protects the citizens from abuse by higher ranking members, and 'good' government that oppress the people in the name of the greater good, allowing nobles to do as they please to commoners, and have an incredibly brutal slavery system.

As per above: Slavery is an undeniably evil practice.
    Not sure if I should even bring this one up....

Vampires must be suave, sexy socialites.
    C'mon, really? Give me the olden day vampire, all about the hunt, primal hunger, etc.
    Last edited by Jaelesh; 2012-08-01 at 02:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelesh View Post
    Not sure if I should even bring this one up....
    You really shouldn't, it's pretty generally accepted that slavery is bad, and it is very likely to draw in heated arguments that will derail the thread. And it will probably bring in real world politics as examples for why it's bad.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

An evil dragon cannot eat anything but people.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manly Man View Post
    An evil dragon cannot eat anything but people.
    Who's to say people don't taste really good?

Here's one for me:
    Dragons always have a hoard that they seemingly do nothing but sleep on and...well...hoard...
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by JetThomasBoat View Post
    Here's one for me:
    Dragons always have a hoard that they seemingly do nothing but sleep on and...well...hoard...
    Yeah, where are all those investment savy Dragon bankers?!
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    Yeah, where are all those investment savy Dragon bankers?!
    Well in Eberron there are savy Dwarf bankers.... Damn >_< now I want to DM a game in which a party after slaying a dragon they maketp their way to the hoard only to find a Magic Mouth spell which tells them:

"House Kundarac (?) thanks you for choosing us as your hoard guarding services, for more benefits please cast a sending spell to you neares House Kundarak outpost".
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #220

The Mcgruff needed to defeat the Evil Big Bad is hidden in the Mountian of doom past the lair of the evil thing upon a lake of lava! Never say, hidden away under a rock somewhere random
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Here's one for me:
    Well...yeah. Its a natural instinct for dragons to hoard.

Neutral Characters are basically good characters. This bugs me to no end. If your neutral character runs around saving the world thats normal but if they kill someone who bugs them that will turn them evil.
    I play a LN half orc in a party of mostly CG and LG, so I'm basically the dirty work guy. If we need info I'll drag one of the enemy off into the bushes and torture him to get the info and my party none the wiser. First time I did this the DM tried to turn me LE cos it was an evil act. And I argued that I selflessly saved innocents but never turned LG. Took a while but eventually I won the right to do the occasional bit of evil.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Well...yeah. Its a natural instinct for dragons to hoard.

Neutral Characters are basically good characters. This bugs me to no end. If your neutral character runs around saving the world thats normal but if they kill someone who bugs them that will turn them evil.
    I play a LN half orc in a party of mostly CG and LG, so I'm basically the dirty work guy. If we need info I'll drag one of the enemy off into the bushes and torture him to get the info and my party none the wiser. First time I did this the DM tried to turn me LE cos it was an evil act. And I argued that I selflessly saved innocents but never turned LG. Took a while but eventually I won the right to do the occasional bit of evil.
    Yeaaah. A thing I find that is always kind of annoying is that for some reason if you're Evil, not constantly being a jerk 100% of the time will never have the risk of turning you Good or Neutral, but a character who has been generally good or neutral for most of their life risk overwriting all that becoming Evil at the first sign of even slight non-goodness. Oh sure, the rest of the party can tie up the kobold who ambushed us and hang him from the ceiling overnight, but if I as the LG Fighter dude crack the rope a little bit to get him moving when he's leading us somewhere and suddenly I'm on alignment watch because "torture is evil".
    Awesome Mordekaiser Pony courtesy of Squeejee!

13. - Top - End - #223

Here's one for me:
    I think dragons have to eat their hoard to go to dragon heaven or something.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm annoyed by a variant of this:

People who believe in practicing slavery cannot possibly have any redeeming qualities.

If this were actually true, Paladins would have slaughtered more or less every member of every pre-modern civilization on sight.

Though this is actually a special case of an even worse one: People either have only bad traits or only good traits. There is no middle ground.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    The Mcgruff needed to defeat the Evil Big Bad is hidden in the Mountian of doom past the lair of the evil thing upon a lake of lava! Never say, hidden away under a rock somewhere random
    That's just basic storytelling though...

Evil empires always have a fully formed resistance fighting it that the players can get caught up in. Never 'just starting' or anything. I'm usually guilty of this v.v
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I think dragons have to eat their hoard to go to dragon heaven or something.
    There is a prestige class for Dragons in the Draconomicon (Dragon Ascendant ?) that does require them to eat the hoards to qualify; but AFAIK on general Dragons do not eat their hoards.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #227

That must be what I'm thinking of.
    -Snow White

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Though this is actually a special case of an even worse one: People either have only bad traits or only good traits. There is no middle ground.
    What about Neutral characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Evil empires always have a fully formed resistance fighting it that the players can get caught up in. Never 'just starting' or anything. I'm usually guilty of this v.v
    You should try the "starting one" some times. Interesting dynamic, fun as hell, and you can add resource management to it.

Vampires must be suave, sexy socialites.
    C'mon, really? Give me the olden day vampire, all about the hunt, primal hunger, etc.
    This drives me nuts. It's totally tied to this whole new vampire fad.
    To me vampires will always be like liches, but without the willing choice part.

19. - Top - End - #229

I'm annoyed by a variant of this:

People who believe in practicing slavery cannot possibly have any redeeming qualities.

If this were actually true, Paladins would have slaughtered more or less every member of every pre-modern civilization on sight.

Though this is actually a special case of an even worse one: People either have only bad traits or only good traits. There is no middle ground
    Funny. I´m playing Aquelarre (spanish hystorical game in the XII-XIII centuries with a few bits of local myths and magic), and one of the players was horrified after seeing a bunch of Jews being dragged in front of a church and receving a near-death beating as punishment for the murder of Christ, in Semana Santa. And all of this being considered a public, pious expression of faith (and thus considered "good" morality).
    Last edited by faustin; 2012-08-01 at 04:55 PM.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    There is a prestige class for Dragons in the Draconomicon (Dragon Ascendant ?) that does require them to eat the hoards to qualify; but AFAIK on general Dragons do not eat their hoards.
    ISTR that in AD&D, Gold Dragons actually ate gold and gems.

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    They have no characteristics at all.

Spoiler
    Show

This drives me nuts. It's totally tied to this whole new vampire fad.
    To me vampires will always be like liches, but without the willing choice part.

"New" fad? Bela Lugosi played Dracula back in 1931, and Carmilla was published in 1872.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2012-08-01 at 05:14 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    "New" fad? Bela Lugosi played Dracula back in 1931, and Carmilla was published in 1872.
    I've never thought Bela Lugosi was all that classy.
    He always seems like a dweeb to me.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post

The story of Koschei the Deathless was included in a book of Russian fairy tales published in 1853, so by that reckoning vampires are 'new'.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The story of Koschei the Deathless was included in a book of Russian fairy tales published in 1853, so by that reckoning vampires are 'new'.
    Not really, legends of vampire go back much further than that, possibly as far back as sumerian myths about the Edimmu, depending on how strict you want to get on the definition of a vampire. As for vampires being seen as social, romantic being, the oldest version of that I can think of is The Vampyre by John Polidori, published in 1819, based on an unfinished vampire novel by Lord Byron.
    Last edited by Jaelesh; 2012-08-01 at 07:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    4e changed this: When dragons reach the end of their natural lifespan (their "Twilight" phase), they eat all the items of their hoard so nobody else can have it.

Neutral characters are Good characters. This is why neutral characters are never allowed to perform a single evil act, or their alignment instantly shifts to Evil.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Being a slut has nothing to do with being charismatic nor being good in bed. It's about willingness.

Also, tieflings are most frequently warlocks in our campaigns, so they are high charisma any way. And female. It's way easier to be a slut when you're female.

Also, I apologize for how chauvinistic that last part sounds.
    Actually, it's easier to be a slut when you're a male, 'cause you don't have to worry about pregnancy.

Of course, it's easiest when you're bisexual and can swap genders. My signature Exalted character is almost that (he's straight in his standard guy form, but female hormones combined with a guy mindset make him attracted to both sexes when a girl).
    4e changed this: When dragons reach the end of their natural lifespan (their "Twilight" phase), they eat all the items of their hoard so nobody else can have it.
    I think that's just an option some dragons take.

Personally, I think they just smirk and either scatter their hoard across the world or pull a Gold Roger.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Actually, it's easier to be a slut when you're a male, 'cause you don't have to worry about pregnancy.
    Silly Jade Dragon, "male slut" is an oxymoron! All men are willing to sleep with anyone of the correct gender who offers.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground

((Raises a hand to disagree, then realises he has no coherent counter-argument.))

Alternatively, "slut" is just a sexist, abusive term period.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If I didn't think the book of exalted deeds feats were a bunch of troll.... I'd try and get all me guys oath of chasity. Way easier on the party, and you can be gaurntunned it'll save yer life when the DM sicks the Succubuss on ya.
    Power restored for christmass. I'm back!

Spoiler
    Show
    dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx][/url]

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Silly Jade Dragon, "male slut" is an oxymoron! All men are willing to sleep with anyone of the correct gender who offers.
    By the willingness definition, I suppose you are right. Really, men are all sluts.
    My point is that every time a tiefling comes into play, they try and sleep with EVERYTHING, like their Jack Harkness or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Of course, it's easiest when you're bisexual and can swap genders. My signature Exalted character is almost that (he's straight in his standard guy form, but female hormones combined with a guy mindset make him attracted to both sexes when a girl).
    I ran a pansexual gender shifter in a GURPS campaign. Had "universal" attractiveness and could physically change gender on command. The GM was iffy about it, but then he said "you know I don't think that would really do anything but waste advantage points." I proved him wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting