New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

The only reason he's not is because that would be a character trait other than "kills people."

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    The only reason he's not is because that would be a character trait other than "kills people."
    Are you sure it's that? I always thought he just didn't see race.

...I'll flog myself for that presently.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

Even if the King's ultimate motivation is racism, this could have been made more interesting. Like by having him doing secret research on how to turn the other races into his mindslaves or something, and it's revealed that the battlecasters are actually members of other species that he's brainwashed. But this "destroy them all" plan is just... mindnumbingly dull.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

So what you're saying is that the entire point of Dominic Deegan has been that racism is...bad???

Give me a minute guys I need to sit down here.

I mean, just, woah guys.

Woah.

Racism is bad...this changes everything!

5. - Top - End - #395

NecromancerGuy

Well, as long as they destroy Maltak before they're stopped. Then everything will be cherry. Then again . . . . Every other country in the world threatened to join together and destroy Callan if Callan made a move on the reinvigorated Maltak.

Only the worst nations in existence would ever wish to see the horrible and evil thing that is an orcish nation reappear.

You know what? I hope the King wins. That's justifiable self defense. The rest of the world is ready to destroy the nation he is responsible for, to subjugate his people.

And sure, Snuggly could be lying . . . But at least his plan isn't the completely retarded "I'll destroy EVERYTHING!" plan some villains have. At the very least the King intends to spare his subjects.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    And sure, Snuggly could be lying . . . But at least his plan isn't the completely retarded "I'll destroy EVERYTHING!" plan some villains have. At the very least the King intends to spare his subjects.
    His plan is worse. There's not point conquering the entire world if most of it is going to be eyeball chow. This plan only makes sense if we were given a reason for why the king really hates non-humans, other than "because he's a villain in Dominic Deegan".

Also why do the king's eyes want to devour everything? That's not what eyes do Mookie.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Also why do the king's eyes want to devour everything? That's not what eyes do Mookie.
    Admittedly Mookie's never been that good at anatomy, but yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #398

GnomeWizardGuy

It would be better if Snuggly's motivation was to collect all the shiny things.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Halfling in the Playground

It would be better if Snuggly's motivation was to collect all the shiny things.
    If anyone thinks that this can't be menacing, go have a look at Chugen from Snow by Night. And he's barely even an antagonist!

Meanwhile, back at the Snark Ranch - placing bets on who gets to lay the final blow on:

A) King DJ
    B) Snuggly
    C) TIM

My bets:

A) Luna, because beamspam
    B) Dominic via Mindscape shenanigans
    C) Nimmel, because *groan*

10. - Top - End - #400

Sneaky gate.
    Future link.

Gee, do you think Mookie's been reading this thread again? I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

But the answer is yes.

Oh, and "We've been nice to the other races. That means we're superior so we should annihilate them all."

???
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2012-08-17 at 12:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

No it'll be even worse:

the story will pull something completely out of nowhere, that will make no sense at all, and destroy all three threats, because Luna tripped over something.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

He's looking at Maltak in the last panel, isn't he?

Somehow, he's going to be behind the Orc War, too, because the Orcs are about to get the Heart of Magic.

Never mind his monologuing about "never invaded or gone to war"...a masterful portrayal of racist double-standards.

Like I said, it can only be the influence of the Face of God. God hates the world, or at least the non-Callanian parts.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-17 at 12:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    He's looking at Maltak in the last panel, isn't he?

Somehow, he's going to be behind the Orc War, too, because the Orcs are about to get the Heart of Magic.

Never mind his monologuing about "never invaded or gone to war"...a masterful portrayal of racist double-standards.
    Yeah...

...wait, is Mookie going to actually unveil how the crap the Orc War worked? I mean, how are you going to make DJ "Technical Pacifist" Callan here work with his Infernomancer Army (and the Luanian cover-up), "Diplomat" Warlord Mustache and well... everything else?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #404

GnomeWizardGuy

So marking DJ as DD-racist isn't enough for the ultimate DD villain, Mookie has to retcon it so Dave is the source of all evils in humankind.

And I thought Dave was court magician or something - why is he going on about having to "work from the inside" and becoming "more influential"? Can't Mookie remember what he wrote a week ago?

Whatever, here's the "I Love Dominique" version:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

This flashback brought all the things in DJ's life in high speed, so obviously it also includes the expected character derailment in less than a week.

Also, why does he need more influence? If instead of becoming a king himself he just mind control the current ruler, it can bring the same result and a lot less likely to trace problems back to him.

Why did no one bother to blame the king for all the wars and stupid decisions the kingdom made during all the comic? Oh yeah, that's because the king did not exist until a few arcs ago. Before that we weren't even sure if Callan was a monarchy, a republic or any other option.

Too early for a thread name, but who cares:

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: Racism is bad, M'kay?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

DJ probably took one look at Melna's clan and figured the Orcs would abuse magic too.

I will give credit to Mookie for TRYING to make DJ's racism more complex than card carrying villainy.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

King Dave makes a good point. I'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Hunter
    ...wait, is Mookie going to actually unveil how the crap the Orc War worked? I mean, how are you going to make DJ "Technical Pacifist" Callan here work with his Infernomancer Army (and the Luanian cover-up), "Diplomat" Warlord Mustache and well... everything else?
    I'm guessing he killed Karnak's parents (evil!) so he could put baby Karnak in a cot and then dropped him off at some orc tribe's door. A few years later he sent Warlord Moustache Bradley to negotiate with that tribe, knowing what would happen. This was part of his plan to mark a bloodcrest into Ishval, while also making Acibeks out of the Ishvalan's souls.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

"We have never invaded so we should invade."

*Sigh.* So close to giving him slightly more characterization than a piece of fruit, Mookie. So close.

19. - Top - End - #409

Then again . . . . Every other country in the world threatened to join together and destroy Callan if Callan made a move on the reinvigorated Maltak.
    That was the exact moment when I gave up on DD. After enduring the horrible Maltak storyline, where orcs where shown to completely messed up clans, there was no way I would believe that the rest of the world would love the orcs. Mookie gave no reason for us to think that the res of the world cared about the orcs at all. He was so lazy that he used just one line to state that Callan was despised. And that line was also inconsistent with everything Mookie had shown about orc cultures.
    It was like Mookie displayed his ignorance, poor writing skills, and biases all in one line. Quite an accomplishment, actually!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I'm guessing he killed Karnak's parents (evil!) so he could put baby Karnak in a cot and then dropped him off at some orc tribe's door. A few years later he sent Warlord Moustache Bradley to negotiate with that tribe, knowing what would happen. This was part of his plan to mark a bloodcrest into Ishval, while also making Acibeks out of the Ishvalan's souls.
    He also was behind Young Sir Mustache becoming Warlord Mustache in the first place, knowing that he, being who and what he was, would turn the Royal Knights into the sanctioned goon squad they were, paving the way for his Battlecasters.

Not to mention that he, as the Court's Mage, also convinced the King and Queen to utilize Infernomancy. By enchanting them, probably.

He also paid an orc to steal young Siegfried's lollipop, hindered persecution of the Chosen, redirected funds from orphanage building to athletic scholarships for Slaughterball players (including Brett Taggerty), and made fun of Luna's tusks when he visited the Travoria Estate once (Luna was 8 at the time. The insult was so cruel and shattered her young mind so thoroughly that she had to completely suppress the memory and completely shut down whenever she saw or heard DJ, or even when he was just mentioned, explaining how a noblewoman like her couldn't know anything about him beyond "presumably exists".).
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-08-17 at 07:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #411

GnomeWizardGuy

He also coined the term "piggart".

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

During the first peace negotiations with the orcs.

(They failed.)

23. - Top - End - #413

He convinced Croona Tavoria to kill her husband and turned her into the old crone she was.

That makes him responsible for the Travoria sisters being evil (except Luna of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

24. - Top - End - #414
    Orc in the Playground

If this comic ends with the Orcs becoming the most magically dominant and perfect race ever, I will consider having read everything past the storm of souls to have been a complete waste of time.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, but at this point DJ's eyes quite literally are bigger than his stomach.

Hmm, I wonder what his other eye has been up to...

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    That was the exact moment when I gave up on DD. After enduring the horrible Maltak storyline, where orcs where shown to completely messed up clans, there was no way I would believe that the rest of the world would love the orcs. Mookie gave no reason for us to think that the res of the world cared about the orcs at all. He was so lazy that he used just one line to state that Callan was despised. And that line was also inconsistent with everything Mookie had shown about orc cultures.
    I prefer to think of it that the nations of the world don't give a damn about the orcs of Maltak, they just understand the connection between a reinvigorated Maltak and a weakened Callan. So they'd do anything, anything to prevent the latter, which includes siding with the piggarts and each other, because while they hate the orcs (and the Darkies, the Furries, the Half-Pints, the Beardoes, the Fishpeople, the Earies, and the everyone that isn't themselves and not even that), the orcs aren't really a threat while the other nations fall under an Enemy Of My Enemy scenario until the threat of an Empowered Callan is passed.

I figure it fits with the DD theme of "Everyone Is Racist Except For Our Enlightened Heroes" without requiring too much mental gymnastics.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    He convinced Croona Tavoria to kill her husband and turned her into the old crone she was.

That makes him responsible for the Travoria sisters being evil (except Luna of course).
    He also offered to give Amelia enchantment lessons, his one condition being that she was sent to an alterist so she could match the villainous femme fatale vision he had of her. He was very pleased when he saw the results. Oh, wait...

He also gave Rachel her first pair of buttless chaps.

28. - Top - End - #418

NecromancerGuy

The other races are never shown to be more than one note stereotypes except for the orcs who are an abominable culture of rape and violence.

I'm still rooting for DJ here.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    He also offered to give Amelia enchantment lessons, his one condition being that she was sent to an alterist so she could match the villainous femme fatale vision he had of her. He was very pleased when he saw the results. Oh, wait...

He also gave Rachel her first pair of buttless chaps.
    And he gave Gregory his first Supermage book. Which he wrote.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    The other races are never shown to be more than one note stereotypes except for the orcs who are an abominable culture of rape and violence.
    The orcs are depicted as one-note stereotypes. It's just that those stereotypes are divided into the different tribes.