New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    So does that make him a Pinball Wizard?
    Well, I mean, there has to be a twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Also "My mind is a fortress." Something you'd think would be true of any being capable of standing as an Archmage.
    In Mookie's defence, there are two [edit: possible] explanations:

1. DJ wasn't as powerful as Dominic when he fried his eyeballs.
    2. Mookie has pretty much been telling us that DJ only earned his spot on the Archmage council by mind-controlling the other Archmages, suggesting that while his Enchantment skills are awesome, his other skills aren't nearly so.
    Last edited by MReav; 2012-09-02 at 12:51 AM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    In Mookie's defence, there are two explanations:

1. DJ wasn't as powerful as Dominic when he fried his eyeballs.
    2. Mookie has pretty much been telling us that DJ only earned his spot on the Archmage council by mind-controlling the other Archmages, suggesting that while his Enchantment skills are awesome, his other skills aren't nearly so.
    Remember when Dominic almost had a mental breakdown because his favorite candy was no longer in stock? And how he was going to Mindbreak if he didn't get an all-expense paid cruise?

Yeah, I dunno if I'd trust the mental fortitude of a pampered rich kid like Dominic over that of someone who literally pulled himself up from the street. What I will say is that Dominic has DJ totally beat in the areas of "being a protagonist" and "being the author's self-insert" which, as has been said, is the real reason he's justified for thinking he can pull this off
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Remember when Dominic almost had a mental breakdown because his favorite candy was no longer in stock? And how he was going to Mindbreak if he didn't get an all-expense paid cruise?

Yeah, I dunno if I'd trust the mental fortitude of a pampered rich kid like Dominic over that of someone who literally pulled himself up from the street. What I will say is that Dominic has DJ totally beat in the areas of "being a protagonist" and "being the author's self-insert" which, as has been said, is the real reason he's justified for thinking he can pull this off
    I should have stated two possible explanations.

And I know, I personally am hoping this bit of hubris does cost Dominic something, like burning out his third eye.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    If Domonic does get punished for this, it's not because he was being prideful. It's because he did something, even if it was as small as looking at something. Doing something is inexcusable in this world and a cardinal sin.

The moral of this story is not "don't reach too far", it's "don't reach."
    The implications of Mookie's work are terrifying, primarily because of how far below the surface they are—that is to say, not very far at all. And yet, I remain convinced that he remains blissfully ignorant of what he's actually saying, even as he says it.

I don't care if you (using the generic "you") typically happen to subscribe to Death of the Author or not in your critical theory . . . Mookie's work practically demands it.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2012-09-02 at 01:03 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #816
    Orc in the Playground

The King should have just sat on his ass instead of looking for it. 'A watched pot never boils' should be the Deegan motto.
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVII: A watched plot always spoils
    Not a robot

7. - Top - End - #817

NecromancerGuy

Don't you mean an unwatched pot never boils, because if a Deegan or Deegan proxy isn't around to witness it, nothing exists?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

The Deegans are looking at the reader, not the background, which therefore ceases to exist. That is why we see white voids.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Deegans are looking at the reader, not the background, which therefore ceases to exist. That is why we see white voids.
    So does this mean that "The face of god is the heart of the 4th wall"?

Edit: Or perhaps "The face of the reader is the heart of the 4th wall"
    Last edited by Veridis Quo; 2012-09-02 at 04:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Newspost's up. Mookie is calling this "Dominic's very unwise decision", so here's hoping for fried Dom eyeballs on Tuesday.

(Fair chance he'll go blind, slim chance blindness will have any negative effects, good chance blindness will instead turn out beneficial.)

11. - Top - End - #821
    Orc in the Playground

It's still funny to see Dominic in pain, so we still win.

Has been ever since fish started falling on his head.
    Last edited by Kizor; 2012-09-03 at 02:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Just because it's unwise doesn't mean he's going to suffer consequences. Remember the first rule of Dominic Deegan.

Quote Originally Posted by Veridis Quo
    Edit: Or perhaps "The face of the reader is the heart of the 4th wall"
    In divine wonder of the majesty that is the Heart of Magic, Dom turns towards it and groans like he's just heard a bad pun.

13. - Top - End - #823

GnomeWizardGuy

Remember the first rule of Dominic Deegan.
    "It always gets worse"?

14. - Top - End - #824
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Newspost's up. Mookie is calling this "Dominic's very unwise decision", so here's hoping for fried Dom eyeballs on Tuesday.
    I'm shocked that Mookie is actually judging Dominic's actions negatively. Is this the first time this has happened in the history of the comic?

15. - Top - End - #825
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think Mookie's statement proves that he loves "injured" characters more than anyone else. Since Nimmel and Katya have been elevated to top caste, Mookie had to do something to make Dominic (and eventually, Luna) even MORE damaged than before.

I have a bad feeling that Dominic will end up like Neo at the end of the Matrix Revolutions. The entire experience may leave him blind in the traditional sense, but it will make him more powerful and enhance his overall perception.

In other news, I have been reading about how experts perfect their craft by spending 10,000 hours on something. Since Mookie has been doing DD for 10 years, he should have reached that mark if he spent at least 3 hours a day on each comic. I think that means that Mookie has become as good as he is ever going to be.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post

In other news, I have been reading about how experts perfect their craft by spending 10,000 hours on something. Since Mookie has been doing DD for 10 years, he should have reached that mark if he spent at least 3 hours a day on each comic. I think that means that Mookie has become as good as he is ever going to be.
    I think you're probably giving him at least two hours per day credit more than he's earned.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

I think you're probably giving him at least two hours per day credit more than he's earned.
    He's explicitly stated that he spends 8 hours a day on each comic. Even if we say he's being generous and knock off half of that . . .
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

You have to actually study and push yourself or you won't get much out of it. Mookie seems to not have improved at all in the last few years and may have actually gotten worse. It's weird because you'd expect at least some improvement or change but he's been stagnating for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi
    "It always gets worse"?
    Forever.

I wonder if this trend will continue to his next comic or if it'll be a blank slate (which will then probably get worse on its own.)

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    He's explicitly stated that he spends 8 hours a day on each comic. Even if we say he's being generous and knock off half of that . . .
    It still feels like too much time for the product, doesn't it?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

20. - Top - End - #830

GnomeWizardGuy

I wonder if this trend will continue to his next comic or if it'll be a blank slate (which will then probably get worse on its own.)
    I'm curious as to how it will go as working with someone else means Mookie can't approach writing for Star Power the same way he writes for Dominic Deegan. Mookie has to improve or the comic will crash and burn. I'm hoping for Mookie and Garth's sake it works out but if I were honest I don't like the odds of the comic surviving to make the one year mark.

Incidentally, searching for 'Star Power comic' gets a Kickstarter for: "Star Power - A Bawdy, Body-Positive Erotic Comic".
    Blurb: "Women find themselves in a race of sexual competition when the mysterious Delilah Dragon arrives in her Marvelous Surgery Wagon."

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

It still feels like too much time for the product, doesn't it?
    Yeah. I've tried my hand at webcomicry once. I've made full-color comics, granted the art was simpler, but even the stuff I made more sense than this, and it didn't take 8 hours to do them.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #832

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I'm curious as to how it will go as working with someone else means Mookie can't approach writing for Star Power the same way he writes for Dominic Deegan. Mookie has to improve or the comic will crash and burn. I'm hoping for Mookie and Garth's sake it works out but if I were honest I don't like the odds of the comic surviving to make the one year mark.

Incidentally, searching for 'Star Power comic' gets a Kickstarter for: "Star Power - A Bawdy, Body-Positive Erotic Comic".
    Blurb: "Women find themselves in a race of sexual competition when the mysterious Delilah Dragon arrives in her Marvelous Surgery Wagon."
    Wait. What?

Who is this Garth and why would he want to work with Mookie?
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #833
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Wait. What?

Who is this Garth and why would he want to work with Mookie?
    Spoiler
    Show

Mookie is going to write a new webcomic after DD alongside a much better (though not perfect) artist. We hope for the best, but expect the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #834

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjadeadbeard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Mookie is going to write a new webcomic after DD alongside a much better (though not perfect) artist. We hope for the best, but expect the worst.
    What can I say, I manage to quit and they drag me back.

Doesn't really answer my question as to what's wrong with this Garth character.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-03 at 09:05 PM.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #835

I wonder what Mookie is doing with all of those hours since I can bang out a page of similar quality in less than 2.

26. - Top - End - #836

GnomeWizardGuy

Garth used to do a webcomic called Finder's Keepers if you want to see his comic art.

Anyway...
    Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

Luna dialog is weird. Everyone senses the Mookie twist and is acting accordingly. Got to wait until later in the week to find out how much of a Sue dodge this is.

I love Dominique:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Eh, that I love Dominique was too close to the original too be funny.

28. - Top - End - #838

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Eh, that I love Dominique was too close to the original too be funny.
    Yeah, I'm going to reign them in now that the crazy backstory talking heads have stopped. I'm guessing the Translation Party well is dry until everyone starts yammering on about Beasts and battle-casters again.

However I did like how TP distilled one bubble down to the vaguely ominous "No, you will know".
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-09-03 at 09:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #839

PirateCaptain

So. That's it. Wow. And here I was thinking there'd be consequences in this comic. Silly me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #840
    Dwarf in the Playground

Something about this line from panel 5 seems wrong to me. I keep reading it to myself and it just sounds awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    Hey. Wait a second. No secrets, remember? If something's wrong, we talk about it. Visions are no exception.
    Last edited by Veridis Quo; 2012-09-03 at 10:39 PM.