New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

They're technically dead and mutilated women but they can also move so-BLEERRGGHHH

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLVI: A Tark of the Klones, Electric Boogalo

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Zombie ass shots.
    If this was at least drawn good I could accept it. Degrading and inappropriate fan service is one thing, but badly drawn degrading and inappropriate fan service is another one.

They're technically dead and mutilated women but they can also move so-BLEERRGGHHH
    ..why do I suddenly think of Luna, when I think of mutilated and remote-controlled women?
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

All I can think of now is the gif of this comic that change the faces around and gave Dom the perverted grin when it was Luna's turn to be dead.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just realized how cool the concept of a mind-controlling monarch as the final boss would be in the hands of a writer who ever puts any thought into his comic whatsoever and isn't ass at having an intelligent plot.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Sneaky
    Future

*yawn*
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Because of the zombie attack, several more priests have died...
    Now keep in mind... Luna was afraid something like this would happen, she was afraid that they might rise up as zombies and that's why she left Jacob hang back... She KNEW something like this might happen, but did not prepare the priests well enough for them to protect themselves. They could have moved the dead somewhere else; buried them under stone, or they could have just cremated the bodies... these would have prevented the resurrection and saved those lives that were lost. But no, because Luna did not inform them (or maybe she did and they were just stupid), several more people are now dead.

Also considering how many poeple were killed in that attack, shouldn't there probably had been zombies in the first batch that had white magic?

[edit] added quote for context
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-09-10 at 12:10 AM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, it took me a minute to realize you were responding to the sneaky because what it contains makes so little sense.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaky
    Future

*yawn*
    Was this zombie rising thing planned, or was just a side effect of the spell used?

If it's part of the plan it doesn't seem like DJ fives a crap about it, and if it's a side effect, I'd expect a bunch of people wielding white magic to recognize the potential threat.

On a positive note, Jacob is still not ruined. My first estimation gives him a couple of more days, but I hope I'm wrong about it.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

God dammit, Mookie. Learn. To. Spell!

Affect. Not Effect.

God dammit.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    God dammit, Mookie. Learn. To. Spell!

Affect. Not Effect.

God dammit.
    QFT

I'm going to add Mookie's name to the Tribunal on Crimes Against Language for that one

Ironically, he could be correctly using it if the White Magic caused the Knight Zombies to come into existence

Still, this means we'll have a week of pointless zombie fighting. Joy
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #971
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think this is just a side effect of David's use of death magic. A bit odd, seeing as this setting is quite explicit about death not being zombies, but that's Mookie for you.

Also, is it just me, or is today's comic a bit confusing? It took me a little rereading to figure out that the Sacred Knight Zombie was empowering some Priest Zombies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mookie is doing everything he can to make DJ look eeee-vil, but we all know how this will turn out. DJ will unravel all of creation, but then Dominic will unite the remaining characters together and guide them to victory. He's even got Jacob back into the fold, so he can join Dom & Greg as the new Deegan Brothers! Go Team Deegan!!

But this arc is just so boring! The characters saw their cathedral get destroyed, Zombies rise from the earth, their friends slaughtered and then arise again as Zombies, and all of them look like they are bored, too.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, let no one say Mookie's not about subverting expectations even if they make no sense. Zombies using white magic, never thought I'd see the day. Or Non-conscious entities using magic at all for that matter.

But I've already read this comic past the heroic rapists, at this point go ahead and throw as many contradictions at me as you want.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

This was HILARIOUS.

No, truly. And at least Jacob's yet to be Domified.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw, the newspost didn't make it worse, guys. :(

I am reasonably content with this, for now. It's still full of stupid (like someone said, didn't some magic users die in the first attack) but it's the kind of over-the-top, manly, shonen-jump style stupid I can be amused by.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

Woah, Jacob, careful here! If you don't pace yourself, you'll run out of corny one-liners before you're done with these zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Because of the zombie attack, several more priests have died...
    I'm pretty sure Jacob is referring to the beamspam attack, not the zombie attack. Not that it's entirely clear, but Luna is perfect, which means all the amazingly stupid things she does can't have negative consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Also, is it just me, or is today's comic a bit confusing? It took me a little rereading to figure out that the Sacred Knight Zombie was empowering some Priest Zombies.
    It took me a little reading your post to get it, so, yes.

Also, I gotta say, the zombie mage is interesting.

First, it's final proof that you don't need a functioning brain to use magic. Not hugely surprising, but nice to know for sure.

Second, there's also this: magic comes from the soul, somehow, and now we have a magic-wielding zombie that became a zombie in the first place because his soul was ripped apart.
    Hmmmmmmmm...

17. - Top - End - #977
    Troll in the Playground

Those zombies are pretty weak. Jedi cut them down like they're butter, they really are pretty useless.

If your hero (the man, obviously) doesn't feel threatened by the zombies, why should the readers?

Is white magic supposed to hurt things like zombies in this world? I know it's like that in the campaign setting but Mookie might have a house-rule.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Second, there's also this: magic comes from the soul, somehow, and now we have a magic-wielding zombie that became a zombie in the first place because his soul was ripped apart.

Hmmmmmmmm...
    While that comic does raise questions about how magic works (woah slow down there sonny) I have to say I'd forgotten how much fun that fight was. Annoying that Dominic had to guide him to do anything, but Gregory was inventive with his magic.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

First, it's final proof that you don't need a functioning brain to use magic.
    We've seen Luna use magic, so how is it news?

20. - Top - End - #980
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Mookie is doing everything he can to make DJ look eeee-vil, but we all know how this will turn out.
    He's failed pretty badly today, then. He has minions who are using White Magic (the very definition of 'good' magic, as it is literally incapable of causing harm to the recipient unless they are of demonic or undead origin), and sending them to fight a dangerous, unrepentant murderer and Necromancer who has been conscripted to the cause of a group of known traitors and terrorists.

I don't know about you guys, but I would feel quite pleased to know that my monarch was fighting the forces of evil quickly and resolutely, and especially with means that make collateral damage impossible.

Having said that.... Today's update doesn't bother me THAT much - the idea of Zombies who keep all the abilities that they possessed in life is pretty cool, and very threatening (Zombie-Archmages, anyone? Zombie-Klo Tark, even?)

I hope Mookie will explain how they can specifically use WHITE Magic, which previously has been anathema to all undead creatures. If it turns out that they're not actually using the magic but are channelling it from their Amulets, or if they become incredibly powerful but 'burn out' very quickly due to contact with their bane, I will enjoy this little plot-point. If it's never mentioned and just completely ignored, on the other hand.... That will be disappointing.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

21. - Top - End - #981

It seems that careful strategy will have to be used in order to solve this problem. So of course, it will solved by beamspamming even harder than usual.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

I hope Mookie will explain how they can specifically use WHITE Magic, which previously has been anathema to all undead creatures.
    I hope he doesn't.
    Every time we have an explenation it gets worse, so we might as well enjoy the uber-zombies and not ask questions.

Not that they will be any threat to Jaacob, But that too, I don't expect anymore.

23. - Top - End - #983

Sneaky
    Future

*yawn*
    The dialogue is awkward. Why did Jacob ask about the dead sacred knights if he didn't know zombies could retain their spellcasting abilities?

24. - Top - End - #984
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mookie really needs to get the memo about there being more than 2 types of undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Mookie really needs to get the memo about there being more than 2 types of undead.
    Do you seriously want to see Vampires in DD?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Do you seriously want to see Vampires in DD?
    Yes. Yes, I do. It will be gloriously stupid.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Yes. Yes, I do. It will be gloriously stupid.
    Especially since we already have werewolves!

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Especially since we already have werewolves!
    It's a trope that werewolves and vampires are enemies. So that will be subverted, in the most nonsensical way possible. Maybe runts can turn into vampires given enough time? And they don't suck blood, but tomato soup?
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

29. - Top - End - #989
    Orc in the Playground

I like it. Despite all the criticism leveled at the magic system, despite the beamspam, this seems to fit. (and yes, though Jayden blasted zombies that one time, that just looked like a generic explosion.)

It's long been established that white magic heals and banishes evil, and we've seen it work on infernal beings. We were left to believe that necromancy is evil, by default and because the first necromancer we saw was a homicidal maniac wearing another man's skin. But it's since been established that necromancy is not innately corrupt, just very very freaky, through showing Rilian and the Nakta (of all things). I don't think that Revive Kills Zombie is in effect.

Surprising, yet logical consequences are half the fun of magic systems. Remember when Toph learned metalbending?

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose we should at least acknowledge that Jacob isn't beamspamming yet.

OK, acknowledged. Now what?