New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Does it have 5 bottles? If not then one of them is probably with the beavers. I'd guess the Kafei Quest is one of the others, and perhaps the bomb shop. Those were always the last three I picked up.
    Inventory screen was absolutely full. All bottles. All masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Well, here is something Zelda-related that some of you might get nerded up about.
    Yeah, I have seen that. Aaron Diaz did a take on the Justice League and Batman sometime before that. He has some good ideas (and an excellent webcomic, ZOMG Dungeons & Discourse and Advanced DnDis). Erika Moen (who is all-around awesome and a contestant on Strip Search) interviewed him around the time he finished "Hob."

What I liked the most from the idea was I can see myself not only playing that game, but replaying it. Check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Diaz
    The magical schools are more about play style and combat. You can collect various items to please one of the three teachers, each of whom will grant you new spells if you specialize in their field. While the gauntlet’s abilities are more like essential tools, these spells of the different magic schools would use a traditional magic meter and could be upgraded. None of these spells would be absolutely essential to beat the game, but would open up entirely new areas and side stories if you master them.
    I love that Airship Captain Uniform, too. Mostly because, y'know, airships!
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2013-05-03 at 11:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Well, here is something Zelda-related that some of you might get nerded up about.
    Spoiler
    Show

(The gauntlet's going to need a different name, though. "Gamelon"'s a four letter word 'round these parts.)
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Planning to give Skyward Sword a go(once the adapter for the remote arrives anyway).., any tips for good items to stock up on? I've never played a Legend of Zelda game before, so I'm not very familiar with that sort of thing
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

I feel bad that I haven't posted in this thread yet. Zelda is one of my favorite things in the world, most definately my favorite video game series.

Anyway, I recently started a new game on A Link to the Past. I just finished the Dark Palace.

I'll probably order Hyrule Historia this Summer. Is it any good? I'll probably get it anyway, I'm just curious. I am a bit disappointed that they released an official timeline, though.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinArchmage View Post
    I feel bad that I haven't posted in this thread yet. Zelda is one of my favorite things in the world, most definately my favorite video game series.

Anyway, I recently started a new game on A Link to the Past. I just finished the Dark Palace.

I'll probably order Hyrule Historia this Summer. Is it any good? I'll probably get it anyway, I'm just curious. I am a bit disappointed that they released an official timeline, though.
    I agree, I wish they hadn't, or rather, I don't like the direction they went. I think at most there should have been two timelines, but I felt it could have all fit into one. I just don't like that there was a timeline where you lost the ocarina of time, but none of the other ones...

As for the historia, I haven't read it yet but would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Planning to give Skyward Sword a go(once the adapter for the remote arrives anyway).., any tips for good items to stock up on? I've never played a Legend of Zelda game before, so I'm not very familiar with that sort of thing
    As for skyward sword, device upgrades are your friend, and potions make things easier too. They have a pretty sweet system for that in the market. Check it out and you'll see what you'll need to stock up on.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-05-05 at 09:35 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    As for skyward sword, device upgrades are your friend, and potions make things easier too. They have a pretty sweet system for that in the market. Check it out and you'll see what you'll need to stock up on.
    There are particular devices that I'd prioritize however:
    1) The Beetle. As soon as upgrades are available for this, snag them. They are amazing.
    2) Shields. The upgrades are comparatively cheap, go very far, and when the upgradable shields are no longer helpful you can sell them and recoup your losses.
    3) The Bug Catching Net. You need bugs and birds for potions, the net also works on tumbleweeds, and it generally makes life easier when it is twice as big.
    4) Ammo bags. Large quivers are a thing of beauty, as are large bomb bags.
    5) The Bow. The bow is a stupidly good weapon, and you want it maxed.
    6) The Slingshot. It's a marginal upgrade, but once you have all the other stuff above it is still worth getting. You might also get it earlier, just because the slingshot is an early weapon.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Frankly, three timelines is about the only way it could work, but I don't think that loosing the ocarina is that much of a problem. Failing to defeat Gohma would have been a better 'obstacle'.

Other than that first boss fight, I haven't noticed anything being too difficult, but I would definitely suggest bringing the potion that also regenerates the shield.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I still stand by my earlier statement that a good divergence point would be "never made it back from Termina." There are, however, multiple points where it would work.

And yeah, take the health potion that restores your shield and maybe the invulnerability potion as well? That's what got me through the first Ghirahim fight. That and perseverance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll try getting those two potions then.
    as well as trying for those mentions upgrades tot he beetle, since from the lets play I watched/am watching it looks pretty useful
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-05-05 at 06:22 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

10. - Top - End - #340
    Firbolg in the Playground

I didn't find the invulnerability potion all that fun. It's much more exciting to evade enemy attacks and heal up when you get low. Still, if a particular boss fight feels too attrition-y for your tastes, or if you just keep losing to a particular monster, far be it from me to tell you how to play.

Seconding the shield-restoring potion, though. That thing is quite handy. A broken shield isn't exactly hard to replace, but it's pretty inconvenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the idea of a game where Zelda is the protagonist, but I cannot bring myself to like this particular version of the idea. It bugs me too much.

Zelda having her own game is a good idea, but I don't particularly like that she seems to need to switch places with Link in this concept to make it happen. Literally any of the "alternate" costumes Zelda picks up in the concept art here are better options for her design, as the default is basically just making her Link. In purple.

And I think that's my problem with this concept, that it seems to assume Zelda can't be the heroine if she's Zelda. That for some reason her identity as the princess of Hyrule somehow precludes her from being the main character, and that for some reason there still has to be a royal figure that gets rescued. Why, exactly? What's wrong with Zelda defending her own kingdom in the role she's always reincarnated into with Link being the less-prominent partner that helps her take Ganon down? And more to the point, using skills that help display that she would be a very different kind of hero than Link?

Link is Courage, gaining power and wisdom by dint of a long journey to confront the villain causing chaos in the world. Well and good, but I think a spinoff featuring Zelda should explore that she is Wisdom gaining power and courage on her journey. I almost feel like the sword should NOT be a part of Zelda's arsenal until very late in the game, and that initially the focus should be on a mixture of stealth, ranged combat, and magic for her to deal with enemies. This concept you linked to has some of that, but not ENOUGH for my tastes; it still seems to be trying to make Zelda take on Link's skillset when I feel a game with a new protagonist should focus heavily that this ISN'T Link's skillset we're saving the day with. Link's heart is balanced towards courage at the outset, rushing into a fight with just his sword at first but gaining power from his items and heart containers and the wisdom to apply his technique. Flipping that, I think Zelda should begin as wise, knowing how to pick (and avoid, when it is better) her battles, and outwit the enemy as she progresses to gain the power and courage to confront her destiny head-on at the end.

I sort of think the Zelda games in general have outgrown the "rescuing" thing, personally. I'd love to see a Zelda-starring game, but I think it would be more interesting as taking the character we already know and love and show her as a heroine protecting her people. I don't really feel that Zelda herself needs to change to shine, just the narrative.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground

I agree, I wish they hadn't, or rather, I don't like the direction they went. I think at most there should have been two timelines, but I felt it could have all fit into one. I just don't like that there was a timeline where you lost the ocarina of time, but none of the other ones...
    Frankly, three timelines is about the only way it could work, but I don't think that loosing the ocarina is that much of a problem. Failing to defeat Gohma would have been a better 'obstacle'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I still stand by my earlier statement that a good divergence point would be "never made it back from Termina." There are, however, multiple points where it would work.
    I honestly was never a fan of the split timeline idea. Years ago I used to like to think that it was all one linear story, but I eventually got over that and liked the idea that the games represented an evolving mythology of Hyrule, that some of the games were retellings of the same legend, with variations representing different Hylian cultures, while other games represented different stories among those different cultures. I don't remember where I first read that theory, but I really liked it.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I honestly was never a fan of the split timeline idea. Years ago I used to like to think that it was all one linear story, but I eventually got over that and liked the idea that the games represented an evolving mythology of Hyrule, that some of the games were retellings of the same legend, with variations representing different Hylian cultures, while other games represented different stories among those different cultures. I don't remember where I first read that theory, but I really liked it.
    That is a highly appealing theory, but sadly the Historia nailed down the three timelines. Oh, the missed opportunities.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

You might have come up with it on your own. I've never seen this elsewhere, but it was pretty much how I contextualized the games, as evolving folk tales were an obvious analog. It's a shame they removed this interpretation.

It is worth noting that the story chunks don't quite match up with the games, as there are occasionally cases where a few can be put together, but in generally assuming each game is a new iteration works out quite well, with most of the exceptions (Ocarina of Time-Majora's Mask and Wind Waker-Phantom Hourglass) being fairly obvious.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2013-05-06 at 10:11 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    That is a highly appealing theory, but sadly the Historia nailed down the three timelines. Oh, the missed opportunities.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quite frankly, the Historia is a big, heaping, steaming pile of what happens when you scare a Dodongo. I much prefer the fan-made version I did.

Basically, Link to the Past was the 'capstone', because it quite literally says 'AND THE MASTER SWORD SLEEPS... FOREVER'. That's it. He finally won. Link got to the Golden Realm, made his wish, and made the world safe forever.

OoT is somewhere in the middle, with Majora's Mask immediately following. Then, *MANY* years on down the line (like several generations) comes along Twilight Princess. Then a few hundred years (possibly even a few thousand) after THAT is Wind Waker, followed by Phantom Hourglass. The temporal distance here is enormous, because everything of the previous games are mere legend, and of course some facts are missing (like the fact that some Hero in green showed up to stop Ganon several times, the important historical impact is when he DIDN'T show up. They had grown used to a Hero showing up to save them, so it was no longer a significant historical event when he did).

Legend of Zelda and Zelda: The Adventures of Link are concurrent, and occur at some point before Twilight Princess. In fact, probably before OoT, placing them quite early in the timeline.

But meh... I've grown less attached to the series after Twilight Princess, mostly because I stubbornly refuse to purchase a Wii.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    But meh... I've grown less attached to the series after Twilight Princess, mostly because I stubbornly refuse to purchase a Wii.
    It's on GameCube too, you know.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    It's on GameCube too, you know.
    He did say "after" Twilight Princess. This would lead me to believe Skyward Sword is the root of his cause, not TP.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

I've come to the conclusion, that Skyward Sword is NOT a prequel. If the cloud layer doesn't come from the sea boiling off, where is it from?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

I've come to the conclusion, that Skyward Sword is NOT a prequel. If the cloud layer doesn't come from the sea boiling off, where is it from?
    Magic, of course.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have been playing Majora's Mask and having a fun time of it. I just beat Gyorg, but I only had 13 of the stray fairies in Great Bay Temple, so I need to go back and collect those again. I figure I may as well beat Gyorg again to start with, but I am having some difficulty with it.

The first time around, I just kept ramming my electrified Zora face into Gyorg until candy* came out. The second time, I thought I might try the arrows which are supplied on the platform, but those only stun. You still need to get in the water to damage, but there's a very good chance Gyorg will nom nom nom on you for 3 hearts of damage when the stun wears off. I needed a fairy the first time around, but I figured it was because I was careless and didn't know where to aim. With this strategy, or just trying to stay in the water and stun with Zora fins/boomerangs, I think I will need two for it to succeed.

Can anyone else can think of a Legend of Zelda boss which they found easier to fight when they didn't think about it?

*actually it was babies at first, the heart container and mask second

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Can anyone else can think of a Legend of Zelda boss which they found easier to fight when they didn't think about it?
    That depends on your definition of "didn't think about it." If you're referring to "thinking through tactics depending on environmental cues" then that rules out all of Skyward Sword and most of Twilight Princess (those being the only two Zeldas I've played personally). If it means "greater thought than just instinct" then I can easily point to the TP Temple of Time mini-boss, Darknut. I was thinking I would dodge back, then do a jump slice into Darknut's chest (playing on Wii), and mistimed it often enough that Link died to yet another errant slash. When I loaded the save (no fairies), I just cheesed the Hidden Moves (tm), Helm Splitter, Back Slice, spin for damage, repeat when he turns around. When I stopped thinking about that duel, it made it much more doable (and enjoyable) than when I was agonizing over that dodge move.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post

The gorilla boss in Twilight Princess. I was dodging the damn plants and literally stumbled into how to defeat him by sheer accident. The first time, it was a flawless fight. The next time I played through, he was a lot tougher because I kept rolling into something just as he was jumping off of it and the damn plants caught up with me.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

I've done it! I've finally done it! I've found a contender to challenge me for the Ocarina of Time challenge I've mentioned previously on the thread.

The Challenge:

Him and me, side by side, racing to finish the game before the other one. Pause at same time - stop at alotted time - for fun (and for a slightly competetive nature). We'll be doing it over a period of multiple days...

Anyone want me to capture it and post it on youtube?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #354
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does anyone not want that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Does anyone not want that?
    Hahaha. Point. The one thing I'm considering for that is...How exactly to do it. Do I have a camera recording both TV's, or do I rip the gameplay with a DVR or something? And can I even do that with both tv's at once?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

I hope it turns out better than Zelda's last attempt at protagonizing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTt-kfPvRks

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone want me to capture it and post it on youtube?
    Nah, don't bother. Nintendo will just make money off of your hard work and effort. However, you might be able to livestream it on Twitch.tv or a similar venue. That would be awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Nah, don't bother. Nintendo will just make money off of your hard work and effort. However, you might be able to livestream it on Twitch.tv or a similar venue. That would be awesome.
    I just won't monetize it. *shrug*

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I just won't monetize it. *shrug*
    Actually, that's the problem. Even if you don't want to, Nintendo will use ContentID to identify it and include advertisements. Only on YouTube, as far as I know, thus the Twitch recommendation.

Jenn Cutter and Troy Goodfellow attempted to do something much like you are considering. For the first episode of Supervision Required, however, they had to move their whole setup at the last minute due to Internet outage. What they ended up with was a camera looking at each of the players, one camera pointed at Troy's screen and a final video capture from the copy of Super Mario World Jenn was playing. This was also being streamed to two accounts on Twitch, with a split-screen setup so you could see both the player's face and their screen. However, Jenn Cutter has been doing podcasts for some years on and off, so they may have been using some gear the average consumer does not (such as the extra cameras).

Their biggest problem was audio for Troy, though they had game audio in the mix as well. They also had to restart a feed, and I believe there were synching problems. There were plans to edit the chaos into a single video, but I do not believe that has happened yet. I have no idea if the recording process proved too incompatible with video editing or if it's solely a Real Life is Taking All My Time issue.

I have a technical question of a different sort for you. When you say, "pause at the same time," what do you mean? One of the things Ocarina of Time and similar require is a lot of going into the menu to switch what is assigned to your item buttons. Does this mean whenever you need a different weapon on a C button, your opponent must also pause?

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah yes, Zelda fans discussing the time line. This makes me so happy that they actually published an official one.

My favorite part of the timeline is the acknowledgment of the Hero's possible failure.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~