New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post
    And speaking of Majora's Mask, did anybody else see this back when it was news and WEEP to learn that it wasn't a real thing?
    For a second, I thought it was that Majora's Mask opera that was news a while back. I'd have mixed feelings about it were it real. For one; great that MM is getting a graphical update. However, I feel it misses the point of the Happy Mask Salesman to have him emote onscreen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome - current topic: Which game is your favori

I had not seen that video! That looked pretty darn cool, but it looked more like a sequel to Majora's Mask, since the whole area looked worn down and abandoned.

As for people's entries for the game that is their favorite -
    While I appreciate what you top 2 or 3 games are, I'll only count one of these. So please distinguish which is your top game. Otherwise its left to me to judge which, and that's not really something I'd like to do much of!

I'm actually fairly surprised how the votes are spread right now. I was expecting more toward Ocarina of Time, since that in my experience is generally a favorite among many...maybe because the age grew is a little lower then who I'm used to talking to. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I just find it interesting.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Thread of Awesome - current topic: Which game is your favori

I'm not sure which game i'd call my favorite, but three do stand out for separate reasons.

The best playing experience I had with a Zelda game is Wind Waker. It was the first console Zelda I had a chance to play through with no spoilers, I already knew about Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask from playing the save files of friends. While Wind Waker did have its flaws, it sucked me right into the story and its ending was mind-bendingly awesome to me.

I think the best game overall is Ocarina of Time. While I didn't get to enjoy it as a blank slate, its characters are still my favorite and it has great replay value. I've gone back to play it over and over again and I love it each time.

My favorite game to just pick up and play, however, is Majoras Mask. I adore the three-day system and the games atmosphere is just perfect. The three-day system also means you can do anything no matter what you've already done, so your favorite quest is only a song of time away.

While I loved Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, they don't seem to have the same value to me as the previous three. I've beaten both of them, but i've never gone back to play them as obsessively as I have others. Although I think that's more a reflection on me getting older than a reflection on the games themselves. If pressed, I'd call Majoras Mask the best game in the series, for the three-day mechanic and the depth and atmosphere of Terminia
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    Where did you start your first campaign?

My PC's woke up on a deserted shore on the edge of a jungle surround by the wreckage of their ship.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright! So far we've got Majora in first, Link to the Past in second, and Twilight Princess bringing up the rear!

I might as well throw mine in the lot: I'm an Ocarina of Time fan. Honestly, it might partially be nostolgia of my younger years, but I feel it has the most complete story line that the rest of the timeline bases itself off of. It has the most dungeons (sporting a whole 9 whoppers), plus extra mini dungeons such as the ice caverns and ice arrow areas. The mini quests are broad and while I like the collectibles in other games, the golden skullatas are by far my favorite (though the masks from majora give them a run for their money...perhaps surpassing). Sure the graphics aren't wonderful, and there have been some really awesome dungeons in some other games, (like the wind temple in twilight or the ice temple there) but ocarina made us understand a lot of those games. Like who the zora and the gorons were, and so on.

Majora was excellent as well, if weird, but I loved the mask theme. As I said, I loved that each collectible mask was a mission, and that you could turn into the different races. I felt I wanted more than 4 dungeons, however. And the stone tower both made me furious and happy. I hated having to play the statue song allllll the time. Lol. The 3 days theme and each person doing the exact thing each day was really excellent. I loved watching a person walk through a specific times. The bomber notebook was probably my favorite task monitoring system for a zelda game.

I love all the zelda games in some way, Link to the Past was GREAT, but Ocarina of Time just does everything the way I wanted it to.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Of of the top of my head, there were a lot of Zelda Games I never beat because I was too young to have the brain power to figure them out entirely... I need to go back and play so many games now....

I remember beating Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, a Link to the Past, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, Link's Awakening, Oracle Series (though I never did beat Ganon, since Ages has sucky items or I fail too bad to get the good ones), Minish Cap... and that's it. I never actually played Majora's Mask, now that I think about it.

Of the ones I have cleared... I kinda liked Wind Waker the most. A campaign spoof of that would be fun... Sailing was cool, too, actually.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Regarding Majora: is it in fact possible to get everything done in the cycle after you get the Deku mask? The world-record speed run required three cycles to get everything before he faced Majora, including the deku cycle, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to shave off that last cycle.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Regarding Majora: is it in fact possible to get everything done in the cycle after you get the Deku mask? The world-record speed run required three cycles to get everything before he faced Majora, including the deku cycle, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to shave off that last cycle.
    I don't see how that is possible. That means he would have to beat the first two dungeons on the first cycle as a Kid link, waste pretty much all night of the first day of the third cycle at the Ranch doing the ghost aliens quest. That leaves two full days to beat the other two dungeons, do the Kafie quest, etc. If the speed run is just to get to the boss, ok, MAYBE, but I still say highly unlikely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I don't see how that is possible. That means he would have to beat the first two dungeons on the first cycle as a Kid link, waste pretty much all night of the first day of the third cycle at the Ranch doing the ghost aliens quest. That leaves two full days to beat the other two dungeons, do the Kafie quest, etc. If the speed run is just to get to the boss, ok, MAYBE, but I still say highly unlikely.
    Getting everything first time? Or getting everything in three cycles (or rather, two+ deku cycle)? Because here is the speedrun in question. (He ends "cycle 2" during the 4th video, and uses most of that day getting the remaining heart pieces and beating the bosses). 100% completion, clocking in at 6:06:26, with room for improvement according to him (Among other things, he complains about the inconsistency of his "gainers", i.e. his glitching above walls with jumps, in Deku form, and in some places where he didn't pull off certain bomb glitches correctly). And I'm willing to allow some fudging where your actions don't improve anything (Gilded Sword sidequest comes to mind, as does that thing with the four green Gossip Stones, and the shooting galleries/Clock Town minigames) or where you don't get closer to completing everything (that scene with Cremia and her little sister whose name escapes me is one of the ones to skip, as I don't believe you get anything from it besides sand in your eyes). I'm not saying it wouldn't require a flawless strategy and a flawless execution of that strategy, but could it possibly be done?
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-08-02 at 07:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Getting everything first time? Or getting everything in three cycles (or rather, two+ deku cycle)? Because here is the speedrun in question. (He ends "cycle 2" during the 4th video, and uses most of that day getting the remaining heart pieces and beating the bosses). 100% completion, clocking in at 6:06:26, with room for improvement according to him (Among other things, he complains about the inconsistency of his "gainers", i.e. his glitching above walls with jumps, in Deku form, and in some places where he didn't pull off certain bomb glitches correctly). And I'm willing to allow some fudging where your actions don't improve anything (Gilded Sword sidequest comes to mind, as does that thing with the four green Gossip Stones, and the shooting galleries/Clock Town minigames) or where you don't get closer to completing everything (that scene with Cremia and her little sister whose name escapes me is one of the ones to skip, as I don't believe you get anything from it besides sand in your eyes). I'm not saying it wouldn't require a flawless strategy and a flawless execution of that strategy, but could it possibly be done?
    That is a highly impressive run! I'm not sure if someone could do it in 2 days. There's just too many things to get. Ugh, I'd hate to mess something up on Kafie's quest and ruin the speed run. T.T

World Building Projects:
    Magic

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Favorite games? That's easy enough.

I put Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword on top. I'm honestly not sure which I'd say is better than the other. Both feature the best "epic adventure" feel and story of the series I'd say, as well as the most memorable dungeons and bosses. That Nintendo pulled off the motion controls of SS so well particularly impressed me.

Twilight Princess is just behind them. It has the best story I think, the best character (Midna), and by and large similarly quality gameplay to the above. It would be up there with them, except for being far too easy. Even the late-game bosses felt like early-game bosses, and once you had a fair number of hearts you never really end up in any danger.

After those, I rank them:
    Phantom Hourglass
    Wind Waker
    Majora's Mask
    Spirit Tracks
    2D Zelda games

I've never really felt there was much different in quality between the 2D Zelda titles I've played (which is all of them except the first two). They're good, but not great. Oracle of Ages is the only one that stands out to me, because I like the time-travel aspect of it. On the whole, I think the series immensely benefited from the switch to 3D - which makes me very confused when I see people saying they think A Link to the Past is the best in the series, since it didn't stand out to me at all when I played it, in stark contrast to every 3D Zelda title.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Twilight princess was really great, but there was too much Midna for me

Skyward Sword is absolutely wonderful. And Majora's Mask brings me back again and again.

But I just have to go with OOT. It holds that center of the Zelda world to me. The characters were well crafted, and even wandering felt great. Plus he's the coolest hero, I would want that title more than any other link.

Hero of Time

It just sounds amazing, truly the Link that becomes the Legend.

Wind Waker was also really fun, and had a lot of gameplay to enjoy and some really good dungeons.

Four Swords has my favorite item, the Fire Rod(I want it to reappear in one of the games, that'd be awesome)
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Favorite games? That's easy enough.

I put Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword on top. I'm honestly not sure which I'd say is better than the other. Both feature the best "epic adventure" feel and story of the series I'd say, as well as the most memorable dungeons and bosses. That Nintendo pulled off the motion controls of SS so well particularly impressed me.
    Skyward Sword did feel much more like an epic adventure, and a dash of whatever created Ancient Cistern goes well in any Zelda. (Thinking back, that was the same screwy, creative thinking that led to the wonderful City in the Sky, although without the symbolism to tie it together like in the Ancient Cistern)

Twilight Princess is just behind them. It has the best story I think, the best character (Midna), and by and large similarly quality gameplay to the above. It would be up there with them, except for being far too easy. Even the late-game bosses felt like early-game bosses, and once you had a fair number of hearts you never really end up in any danger.
    I'm not certain Twilight Princess had the best story; it certainly had fewer plot holes than Skyward (Only one I can think of in TP is "why kidnap Ilia and the kids in the first place?" as opposed to SS' "Why did Impa dissolve at the end? What happened to the Imprisoned juice smushed under the Sky Keep if Link killed Demise all those years in the past? Why is the sky always clear if the layer between the ground and Skyloft is impenetrable?") but it had a bad case of "Midna leading you around by the nose." Speaking of which, certainly Midna started out more engaging than Fi, and both sets of character development were well-thought out and communicated (I wouldn't go so far as to say she's the "best" character, far too many candidates for that ever to be resolved to anyone's satisfaction). Agreed totally on TP's bosses, but I would argue that they served quite well as "training wheels" for the incoming Zelda fan such as yours truly. (Fyrus and Zant in particular, while easy, were the "make you feel bada**" kind of easy, while the fish in Lakebed Temple and Blizzeta were the "yawn-a-rama" kind of easy. Only the final boss rush, IMO, toed the line of "difficult", and even then more because of length than any real difficulty)

After those, I rank them:
    Phantom Hourglass
    Wind Waker
    Majora's Mask
    Spirit Tracks
    2D Zelda games
    Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are technically 2D... You're probably making an exception for those. Eh, it's your opinion.

I've never really felt there was much different in quality between the 2D Zelda titles I've played (which is all of them except the first two). They're good, but not great. Oracle of Ages is the only one that stands out to me, because I like the time-travel aspect of it. On the whole, I think the series immensely benefited from the switch to 3D - which makes me very confused when I see people saying they think A Link to the Past is the best in the series, since it didn't stand out to me at all when I played it, in stark contrast to every 3D Zelda title.

Zevox
    The thing about LttP, I think, is that so much of it directly leads into Ocarina, and later into Twilight Princess, in terms of design decisions, and that a lot of it is exactly what Nintendo is referring to when they refer to the "Zelda formula". Teleporting to locations via wind instrument, Zelda as kidnapped cosmic keystone, Ganondorf as the man behind the man, dual-world gameplay, the list goes on and on. People see it as "the one that started it all", when they don't refer to Ocarina that way, and even then LttP is the "one that started the one that started it all". I prefer Ages as well (for many reasons, including that more effort seemed to go into the writing between Veran's extra screentime and Ralph's character arc), but I will admit that Seasons had much more to work with in terms of puzzle pieces (four world gameplay in the four seasons as opposed to Ages' Past and Present dual-world gameplay).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

but it had a bad case of "Midna leading you around by the nose."
    I am not bothered by that in the least.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are technically 2D... You're probably making an exception for those. Eh, it's your opinion.
    At times they are, yes. At other times, such as when driving the boat/train, or during at least some boss fights (been a while since I played them, but I recall at least a couple of Phantom Hourglass'), they're definitely 3D.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Well, Twilight princess was really great, but there was too much Midna for me
    BLASPHEMY! There's no such thing as too much Midna.

As for Twilight Princess's difficulty, I'll just say this: Back Slice is way overpowered.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

As much as I love the 3D Zelda games, A Link to the Past is the one I keep going back to play. For some reason it never really gets old to me.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I'm currently playing through Windwaker, and would be inclined to vote it for favorite, were it not for the excessive length of the sailing parts. There is a lot to love about it, particularly the temporary weapon acquisition mechanic (though I have my objections regarding the way the spear handles in play), the art style, and some of the dungeons and boss fights, but it just doesn't quite lead the pack.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I'm currently playing through Windwaker, and would be inclined to vote it for favorite, were it not for the excessive length of the sailing parts. There is a lot to love about it, particularly the temporary weapon acquisition mechanic (though I have my objections regarding the way the spear handles in play), the art style, and some of the dungeons and boss fights, but it just doesn't quite lead the pack.
    So what DOES lead the pack?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ocarina of Time remains my favorite. A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening are both great (and LA holds special place for being the first Zelda I really sat down and played), but OoT was the game that made me fall in love with the series, and I'm sad that I haven't played a better Zelda game since.

When it comes to the overall atmosphere and world of the series, I prefer the NES games, including things introduced in the cartoons (yes, I like them) and Valiant's comics. For me, they're a great example of a medieval world with fantasy elements (as opposed to the other way around).

My problem with Zelda games recently is that Nintendo seems to cram too many features into one game, leaving no room to develop any of them. The biggest offenders of this off the top of my head are horseback fighting (TP) and flight (SS).
    SS... really kind of pisses me off because I felt like it had so much potential, but Nintendo just couldn't seem to commit. We're given a lot more choices in dialogue, but they have no effect on anything. Peatrice's subplot seems to change things up, but even if you make Link declare love for her, it doesn't change a blasted thing in the game's ending.
    Ghirahim came across as a really weak villain. Sure, he's unique, and he gives graphic descriptions of how he plans on killing you, but the man is all talk. The only success he has in the game is kidnapping Zelda. But he never wins a fight against Link, even when Link's at his weakest. Even Zant managed to beat him.

Oh, and.... Majora's Mask is probably my least favorite Zelda game. The game gave us Tingle, aliens, Link doing a really weird dance, and it butchered the Ballad of the Wind Fish.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    So what DOES lead the pack?
    It's currently a five way tie between all of the 3d non-portable games. A five way tie that any of them could have broken, were it not for the various flaws in each.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

It's currently a five way tie between all of the 3d non-portable games. A five way tie that any of them could have broken, were it not for the various flaws in each.
    Well then obviously the only way to break this tie is via a battle royalé between all five 3D console Links. Which Twilight Princess wins because Great Spin and Back Slice. Seriously, I ended up just Back Slicing Ganandorf to death. It was total hax.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Well then obviously the only way to break this tie is via a battle royalé between all five 3D console Links. Which Twilight Princess wins because Great Spin and Back Slice.
    Super Smash Bros Link would win. Brawl move. Bam. Cause, you know, that's totally an in canon game and all.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-08-06 at 10:55 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Well then obviously the only way to break this tie is via a battle royalé between all five 3D console Links. Which Twilight Princess wins because Great Spin and Back Slice. Seriously, I ended up just Back Slicing Ganandorf to death. It was total hax.
    As nice as Back Slice is, Helm Splitter outclasses it, and the two really shine used in concert. Which, as it happens, the Wind Waker Link can also do, while rivaling the Great Spin with a normal spin while wielding a spear. Though he does lack Mortal Blow, which is just glorious.

-- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

As nice as Back Slice is, Helm Splitter outclasses it, and the two really shine used in concert. Which, as it happens, the Wind Waker Link can also do, while rivaling the Great Spin with a normal spin while wielding a spear. Though he does lack Mortal Blow, which is just glorious.
    Helm Splitter's definitely nice too, unfortunately about halfway through the game I stopped being able to get Shield Bash to reliably execute for some reason.

On the Wind Waker side, you forgot about Hurricane Spin. And that's terrible.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Favorite... probably Wind Waker. It's got an incredibly pleasing artstyle and character design, I really enjoy the sailing (great overworld music does help), and it has some rather creative spins on Zelda classics that I enjoy mixed with all the dungeoneering goodies of the franchise.

After that, it's a huge tie. A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Skyward Sword which I played just recently, are all extremely awesome in my eyes, for different reasons, and I couldn't pick which of them I like the most. Link to the Past and its awesome dungeon design (I still can see several of the Dark World temples in my mind when I close my eyes)? Majora's Mask and its best sidequests EVER (masks, and dancing, and Anju and Kafei, and creepy aliens, and...!)? Skyward Sword and its inventiveness and characterization (damn but does the relationship between Zelda and Link work. I'm no shipper, but I was thinking "just kiss already, you pair of dolts" with a fair frequency in several segments)? You can't make me choose!

Least favorite of the ones I've played, probably would be Twilight Princess. Which is sad, because Midna is probably among the best characters in the franchise, and I definitely grew to really care for her (last battle with Ganon in that game? Shortest boss ever. Genuinely wanted to crush the mother******) but the dungeons left me rather cold, as did most of the game.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Helm Splitter's definitely nice too, unfortunately about halfway through the game I stopped being able to get Shield Bash to reliably execute for some reason.
    I played the gamecube version of TP, where shield bashing is extremely easy. That is probably why I favor Helm Splitter. Really though, TP human combat was beautiful in general, and the horseback combat wasn't bad; it's just a shame about the whole werewolf mechanic.

-- ChubbyRain

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I've been trying to race a person in Ocarina of Time for forever. This is where you set up 2 tvs, two versions of the game (be it on the wii, n46, gamecube in some combination or doubled) and play them side by side. Pause at the same time for breaks, end at a designated time each play day. First one to kill Ganon wins. No glitches. No full completion. Just who can beat the game before the other.

I've tried it with a few people. Once I had my horse as an adult as the other was just starting lord jabu jabu, the rival usually quit. This disappoints me. I want to find someone who won't quit, or will give me a run for my money. Sigh. Stupid people not being as nerdy as me.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

My top three favorite Zeldas:

1) Link to the Past. Amazing sprite-based graphics and multi-layered backgrounds. Even compared to modern-day graphics, it's still eye-candy. The gameplay was smooth and intuitive. The tools available were varied, and each had a use. It really blew the two NES offerings out of the water.

2) Windwaker. People dis the cell-shaded graphics. I don't. I like the cartoony feel. I also approve of having items which serve multiple functions (Grappling Hook acted as a way to move around before getting the Hookshot, and is NOT outdated because they are used to attach to different things, AND because it is used as the crane you use to dredge treasure up from the ocean depths). And I loved the plotline. Yea, Link didn't come back to save Hyrule. So it got buried.

3) Twilight Princess. I played this for the Game Cube, since I'm not a fan of the Wii. The graphics are outstanding. The tool use intuitive. I loved being able to combine, for example, my bow and the Hawkeye for a sniper-scope. Makes me feel a lot like... well... Hawkeye. Particularly in the encampment in the desert, and the Wild Western showdown towards the end, that came in real handy. Loading up bombs into arrows added a whole new dimension of interaction with your environment (although it made the spider-bombs pointless). Plus... dual-clawshots... "Spider-link. Spider-link. Does whatever a spider-link does". Also, one of the only Zelda offerings in which Link does *NOT* actually use Magic. The only item that could, remotely, be seen as 'magic', is the Control Rod. He beats Gannon. Without needing to rely on magic. Because he's just. that. good. Awww yea. Plus, the weapon maneuvers you can learn on the way makes combat less of 'press A repeatedly until they fall over' grind. If there was ever a Movie-version of Legend of Zelda... I'd want it to be this.

OoT... didn't sit well with me. Now, remember, when it came out, we were used to seeing Link from a top-down perspective, and a good chunk of the surrounding terrain. OoT... well, my first impression was "You got your FPS in my RPG!". I eventually got used to it, but I could never really get into it.

Majora's Mask... felt like "Oh, we didn't make enough on OoT... let's make a whole NEW thingamabober to stick on your N64, then crank out another Zelda game that requires it. It's like the last one, only more redundant!". One big money-grab. The plotline was... convoluted. It was like Groundhog Day... only even less so. The controls controls and usage were not intuitive. A vague horror genre music score is not going to fix all that.

The original Legend of Zelda... I'd probably place in a solid 4th. I mean, for nostalga if for no other reason. I spent waaay too many hours with that golden cartridge (best product identity differentiation technique EVER) jammed into my NES.

The other one for the NES... Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link, sucked. It's like someone played too many hours of Castlevania and tried to bring side-scroller adventure into Zelda. And failed.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2012-08-07 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

What is everyone's thoughts about rereleasing Ocarina for a handheld, but not for a consol?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    What is everyone's thoughts about rereleasing Ocarina for a handheld, but not for a consol?
    They already re-released OoT for Game Cube, along with Zelda, Zelda2, and Majora's Mask.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Not better graphics like the handheld one.

World Building Projects:
    Magic