New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Grim Reaper

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Grim Reaper

Hey, been lurking for a really long time and finally decided to make an account.

I want to create a guy with scythe, who could use some spells to buff himself or use them in some other way. Firstly I wanted to use cleric but I was unable to find a deity that would fit to my character.

I'd rather play as a human, point buy 32.

Thanks in advance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grim Reaper

.... Have you seen Nerull? I mean he is the Grim Reaper in all but name, heck he even has Scythe as his favoured weapon.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You didn't think nerull fit? He is the grim reaper basically.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Damn, sorry but I forgot to mention that I want to be neutral and that's why I ruled out Nerull.

and thank you for such a quick replies!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Nerull is Neutral evil right? A cleric can be one step from his deities' alingment, so a True Neutral cleric of Nerull is perfectly ok.
    Just call me Dusk

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Nerull is Neutral evil right? A cleric can be one step from his deities' alingment, so a True Neutral cleric of Nerull is perfectly ok.
    Wasn't there a rule that cleric can be true nertral only if diety is TN?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Or just play a cleric devoted to the ideals of Death (or Repose) and Shadow.
    A bard might be interesting as well.
    "One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity's alignment is also neutral.

Clerics don't automatically get proficiency with Scythes anyway, sans War Domain. You'll probably want at least one level in a class that gives proficiency in Martial Weapons. What about making a gish build? Usually you'll have at least a dip in something that gives proficiency.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Just out of curiosity, are you using the scythe because of the crit multiplier, or because of fluff? Because the proficiency requirement does ruin clerics days.If you really, really want to (and I am not sure this works), go with the "alignment/philosophy" cleric, and choose war domain (its bad, but the only way to actually get scythe proficiency without actually multitasking).

I am not certain however, if this would even work, as war domain explicitly states that it grants you weapon proficiency with your gods weapon, and if you take this route, then you would have not patron deity.
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2012-07-29 at 01:38 PM. Reason: rereading of rules

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

This is definitely a concept I've always wanted to try.
    The idea I had was to go mounted line, make those lovely Cleric buffs work even harder. Yeah, I know the lance is better, but x2 ain't bad either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Wasn't there a rule that cleric can be true nertral only if diety is TN?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity's alignment is also neutral.

Clerics don't automatically get proficiency with Scythes anyway, sans War Domain. You'll probably want at least one level in a class that gives proficiency in Martial Weapons. What about making a gish build? Usually you'll have at least a dip in something that gives proficiency.
    Forgot about that pesky rule about being neutral and I also forgot that getting proficiency with the Deity favoured weapon was a houserule...
    Just call me Dusk

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

If this was a Pathfinder game you might also want to consider the Magus. Pairing this with the Fighter - Weapon Master also gives you bonuses to confirm Critical and increases the already scary x4 multiplier. Consider 7 Levels of Magus giving you 3rd Level Spells and 13 Levels of Weapon Master.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Become a Bone Knight (PrC from the book "Five Nations").

You'll get proficiency with all Martial weapons and you can craft an insane skull armor with immunities and a scythe that harms the living more and it can be made Magical too. Leans towards the undead. You'll only lose one caster level but it has some weird requirments like Craft and Ride.

Also, you can be a Cleric of a cause (check the Cleric's entry from PHB). Just pick two Domains, like Death and something else. Say that you are a Cleric of Death. Ask if your DM would let you pick the War Domain and have it apply to scythes.

Edit: Both options can totally be Neutral.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2012-07-29 at 02:34 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceaon View Post
    Or just play a cleric devoted to the ideals of Death (or Repose) and Shadow.
    A bard might be interesting as well.
    I had no idea that cleric doesn't have to choose a deity

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    I was looking for a PrC with with full BAB and full spellcasting but didn't find anything interesting except Master of Shrouds.

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofSilence View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you using the scythe because of the crit multiplier, or because of fluff? Because the proficiency requirement does ruin clerics days.If you really, really want to (and I am not sure this works), go with the "alignment/philosophy" cleric, and choose war domain (its bad, but the only way to actually get scythe proficiency without actually multitasking).
    Fluff. I can't imagine a reaper without his faithful scythe

Thank you all for your input

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Full BaB and full casting? Most likely wont happen unless you gestalt or home brew. Though picking something like Duskblade might be okay. Or abjurant Champion might fit the bill if you want to go the arcane route

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshack View Post
    Full BaB and full casting? Most likely wont happen unless you gestalt or home brew. Though picking something like Duskblade might be okay. Or abjurant Champion might fit the bill if you want to go the arcane route
    For clerics any full casting class is full BaB due a little spell known as Divine Power, add DMM persist for the full cheesy flavour or DMM Quicken for just a sprinkle.
    Just call me Dusk

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

See if the DM can let you play a Divine Crusader (Complete Divine) of a cause, have your base be crusader, go into RKV (ToB) [again, ask if you can worship the cause of death instead, though Wee Jas might work]. Something Like Crusader 7/Divine Crusader 2/RKV 10/Crusader+1, Boost rebuke undead as much as you can, get effective full cleric casting and crusader manuevers, I'd suggest evil devoted spirit maneuvers for the death feel.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

I made a similar character once. Favored Soul of Jergal (Forgotten Realms deity that has Scythe as favored weapon) which gives him Weapon Focus for free, and then prestige class into Weapon Master (Oriental Adventures). You may have to take 2 levels or fighter or so for all the feats since Weapon Master is feat-heavy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a "grim reaper" style NPC in my campaign. He's one of those hexblade/blackguard kind of builds. Calls his hexblade curse "the mark of death". Technically, he does the complete opposite of buffing himself, but the effect is almost the same.
    Proud member of fan club.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I stated out a character similar to this a while ago.
    Started out as a Barbarian 1/Cleric 3. Went with Nerull. Had a scythe with power attack, rage and a base Str of 15.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm also doing barbarian/cleric for my current character with a scythe. He's an elf follower of Artemis, so I went with Animal and Protection domains. I'm not doing much healing during combat, but its damn fun. My only feat currently is Combat Casting. I have no idea what to grab next, so I can't help you much with the build. I can say that its a lot of fun though!