New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Maxim.

"If the demo guy is running away in a panic, it's time to see if you can break the sound barrier..."
    I believe you mean "An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody." :P
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary III: One million years of crowdsourced kitten videos

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Breacher missiles arnt going to fly worlds away, which they would need to do to be closer to XT. They're just going to make "an EARTH SHATTERING KA-BOOM!!" big enough to distract the missiles...from worlds away.
    I think this is where the confusion arose--when they were talking about light being able to hit the enemy missiles, I thought they were going to use a high-powered laser or something (hence Shodan's comment about it being a very bright light), rather than just set off a bright explosion and hope that distracts the missiles.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anybody who asks Pi to make a bright light and doesn't expect an explosion to be involved doesn't know Pi very well.

In fact as far as I can tell, anyone who lets Pi do anything at all and doesn't expect an explosion to be involved doesn't know Pi.

4. - Top - End - #1384

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Anybody who asks Pi to make a bright light and doesn't expect an explosion to be involved doesn't know Pi very well.

In fact as far as I can tell, anyone who lets Pi do anything at all and doesn't expect an explosion to be involved doesn't know Pi.
    I think he is quiet capable of doing things without explosions. For instance preparing things that can explode for later explosions should happen without all to many explosions.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

When all you have is bombs all your problems look like the cracked walls from Zelda?

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    the literal translation is flying vermin. Target acquired!

7. - Top - End - #1387

BlackDragon

Shodan didn't ask Pi to make a bright light--he simply said they'd need a very bright light, and Pi stepped forward of his own accord.

8. - Top - End - #1388

Spoiler
    Show
    That was a very meticulously designed fart joke.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

That's kind of a weak argument by Bristlecone. Does it really matter that the literal translation is "Broken Wind" if the symbolism behind that term is akin to "Angry God?"
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

10. - Top - End - #1390

Well the name has other symbolism than Broken could work as description for the insane AI and the meanings of Wind are interesting (and make sense for a floating species). But yeah seems a bit pedantic.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    That's kind of a weak argument by Bristlecone. Does it really matter that the literal translation is "Broken Wind" if the symbolism behind that term is akin to "Angry God?"
    It matters because Howard Tayler likes fart jokes. "To break wind" is a euphemism for flatulence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    It matters because Howard Tayler likes fart jokes. "To break wind" is a euphemism for flatulence.
    Yes I know that.
    That doesn't have anything to do with my point though since it's an Oafan term and not a human one.

13. - Top - End - #1393

In terms of actually translating anything, it's important to know both the literal and intended meaning of things. Although based on the information available here, I would go with "damaged wind" for the literal rendition (and only partly to avoid that fart joke) and probably something like "injured god" or "broken god" for the idiomatic meaning. In addition, the fairly rare words "godhead" or possibly "godhood" might be worth considering to better reflect the concept of wind considered simultaneously a non-personified force of nature and a personified deity, which additionally attempts to reflect the nature of an AI tasked with managing the entire environment while also maintaining a sense of self distinct from yet inextricably linked to that environment. Rare words like that are sometimes more useful for expressing complex translations thanks to this additional degree of flexibility that results from most native speakers of the target language being only marginally familiar with it at best.

I'm still interested in how "Tikkuts" could be sounds that are painful for Oafans to produce, considering how common several of them are in the Galstandard Peroxide the extant Oafans keep speaking, not to mention how Ennesby managed to render it as "Eina". We could be dealing with a logographic writing system, something more obscure like a use of kenning, or a comparatively mundane issue such as character namespace collision.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Troll in the Playground

Based on their speech bubbles, I suspect that all the Oafan conversing we see is being parsed through a translator and spit out through those thingies they wear. Depending on exactly how said translators work, it could be they don't actually have to vocalize the words in their native tongue.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

15. - Top - End - #1395

I'm still interested in how "Tikkuts" could be sounds that are painful for Oafans to produce, considering how common several of them are in the Galstandard Peroxide the extant Oafans keep speaking
    Well, for starters, it's not "Tikkuts," it's "T'kkkuts" where Howard is presumably following his usual convention of using apostrophes for otherwise otherwise unrepresentable sounds. That gives most likely a strings of six constants plus a glottal stop or some such thing, for beings that seem to use a lot of [breathed] vowel sounds normally so....
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-02-14 at 08:30 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

So the wind is metaphorically broken. When will it break physically? Or did we do that already with Credomar? Or the Butt'hanni?

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Not only does he explicitly lay out the fart joke in case there is one reader somewhere who didn't get it, he makes it almost plot-relevant.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Not only does he explicitly lay out the fart joke in case there is one reader somewhere who didn't get it, he makes it almost plot-relevant.
    Well, I kinda liked that he did that. Possibly the joke didn't absolutely have to be said, but given that he didn't have Ennesby pick up on it serves as a nice underscore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

I don't think I've ever seen a pun used as a dead-serious dramatic beat until now.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Just shows that Mr Tayler is a very good writer.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

21. - Top - End - #1401

Berlew vs. Tayler?

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Berlew vs. Tayler?
    BOTH are! But this is a Schlock Mercenary thread. Mr Berlew has his own sub forum above were people can sing his praises.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Berlew vs. Tayler?
    Good Heavens, no! The subjects and style are far too different for me to want to figure out which one I like more.

I could go on for much longer, but the simple fact is, I want to read both, and don't really care to compare and contrast.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

is this a new maxim or one that is rarely quoted?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I would say it's a new one.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

Considering that he announced there would be a new Maxim a couple weeks ago on twitter, I'm going to say "yes."

27. - Top - End - #1407

Oh Ennesby

Smack-talking Chtuluh HAD to be Option 1, didn't it?

28. - Top - End - #1408

BlueWizardGirl

Huh. So those sheets are oafa skins.

29. - Top - End - #1409

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Huh. So those sheets are oafa skins.
    I'm puzzled--what in today's strip led you to that conclusion? Not that there was any particular reason to doubt the analysis in the first place, mind you...

30. - Top - End - #1410

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm puzzled--what in today's strip led you to that conclusion? Not that there was any particular reason to doubt the analysis in the first place, mind you...
    Look at the pattern on the inside of the deranged God-AI's skin-tatters. It's the same as the one on the scraps of material floating around in there.