New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fortune's Favor (IC)

Uregaunt

The gnome looks fairly single-minded in his conversational pursuits, and the area is much more interesting. To an individual versed in the arcane arts, it looks more like a museum than a shop. Even a cursory examination reveals a fascinating assortment of rare spell components, ancient artifacts, and inscribed wards.

The latter would make touching anything a stupendously bad idea.

Elias

Outpost Description Reposted
    Spoiler
    Show
    The first thing you are likely to notice upon entering is how the building looks a lot more majestic inside than out. Golden pillars (three on each side of the hallway) stretch up to hold the roof (which, contrary to the wodden appearance from outside, are actually stone underneath), and a polished wooden desk stands at the end of the hall.

Sitting at that desk is a human man who positively reeks of kemptness and professionalism. He wears a fine suit, has short hair, and is clean shaven. He doesn't see you immediately, as he's busy organizing a lot of paperwork (a large pile of it seems to be next to a small 'problems' sign). On either side of the desk are two wooden doors, which seems odd, as given the outside size of the building and what you're seeing, they can't possibly lead anywhere.

The man is currently in conversation with a dwarf, though when he notices you he motions you to take a seat in a comfortable chair that was certainly not there a moment ago.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Forgive me guys if I am interrupting, but just please tell me that where are these scenes coming from ? I mean is it a book or a play as I can see here, every member is telling the next scene.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Elias does a brief double take at the appearance of the chair. He glances at the man behind the desk, then sits down cautiously. Assuming it does not explode or do anything else unexpected, he murmurs a brief incantation and passes a hand across his eyes.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic. Since this is a non-combat situation, I'm assuming that I can concentrate for 18 seconds without rolling, getting the full effect of the cantrip. I'll roll Spellcraft to identify individual auras if any turn up.

The dwarf looks awfully familiar, but Elias is presently too wrapped up in casting to put name or memory to the face.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin look at his hands while the gnome speaks, studying them as though he's never seen them before. He looks back at the Gnome as he realises that he's waiting for a reply. "I dont understand what you've just asked me. I was thinking that I could provide you unskilled labour to free you to do your more important work. Perhaps moving boxes or", he pauses and looks around and the shelves full of curiousities, with a slight furrow to his brow, perhaps some cleaning.

He mentally sighs with releif as he hears the mysterious chimes, and glances thankfully at the newcomer. "Perhaps we could continue this after you've spoken with your customer?" he suggests hopefully. I'll have a browse around while I wait.

With that, he steps away from the Gnome, giving him the opening to finish the conversation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Orin is quite disturbed by what he's found here - the moment the Gnome is distracted with speaking to Uregaunt, he'll leave, and head for the hiring hall.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

As he is making his way across the square, Santino watches as another person enters the new building, "Gods, I better get over there incase all the jobs are gone." he whispers to himself, quickening his step.

Upon reaching the door to the establishment he looks at the sign, Well, at least I was right about them having jobs available, I just hope I'm not too late Santino thinks before slowly opening the door and stepping in, Glancing around the entrance way.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-08-07 at 01:53 AM.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elizasteave View Post
    Forgive me guys if I am interrupting, but just please tell me that where are these scenes coming from ? I mean is it a book or a play as I can see here, every member is telling the next scene.
    We're sort of...making it up as we go along. It's a roleplay thing.

Elias

All your magical senses tell you that you are sitting on a chair. However, you may recognize the effect as a conjuring effect of some sort - a Minor Creation spell or similar. It might even be an effect of the room itself.

However, it is in fact a harmless and normal chair. And, in fact, most everything in the room appears nonmagical by your divinations, though you can vaguely make out magical shimmers behind both doors and in the desk, as well as a general aura about the man himself.

Orin

"Ohh, not magical assistance? A shame. Of course, there are certain...ah, but no, dangerous." Then he realizes what you're is talking about next, and looks abruptly at Uregaunt like a dragon walked through the door, thus giving you the opportunity to esc- ahem, stroll out.

"Two? May have to reset the algorithms. How may I help you today, or vice versa?"

Santino/Orin

The room is much unchanged in the small span between Elias' entrance and your own, though the man behind the desk seems quite a bit more surprised with the new arrivals.

"It seems you are hardly alone with your interests, Father Murldom."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

7. - Top - End - #37

GnomePirate

Elias is about to examine the aura around the man behind the desk when his concentration falters and the spell lapses. "Murldom??"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elias!? Good man! Truly, our paths are linked in ways known only to the gods! Tankerred smiles warmly, Though I don't intend to marry you... *laughs at his own joke* And after calming down, I was just speaking to our friend here about recent troubles... seems many of the local operatives of this fine establishment have gone missing... care to join me in finding out the whys and hows?

And with that, Tankerred asks the human for more information. All he needs is a place to start.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Tankerred

"You know each other? Interesting..." He glances downward in consideration, and when Tankerred offers his assistance, he holds up a hand. "I'm sorry, Father Murldom, but I cannot in good conscience send you blindly into possibly the same fate as the other group. Rest assured that should information become known - I have allies working on such as we speak - you will be the first to know.

Until then, might I suggest a mission where there isn't a possibility of you disappearing?"

10. - Top - End - #40

GnomePirate

Elias stands up and shakes Tankerred's hand in greeting. "It's been too long! Clearly we have a lot to catch up on... " He trails off and turns to the man at the desk. "Non-disappearance sounds promising. What is the nature of this mission?"
    Last edited by AquilaRift; 2012-08-07 at 03:42 PM. Reason: removing ambiguity

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Tankerred/Elias

"Hm. Let's see." He takes a large amount of apper from the top of the 'problems' section and starts flipping through them at a blur until he stops and pulls one out. "Ah yes. Bit outside our normal fare. Paranormal, you see. And this one has been red-marked by the Mayor himself, interesting." He glances up at them.

"A house is being haunted. Interested?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin strolls over to the desk, and introduces himself to the clerk and the others;
    "Well met. I dont want to intrude, but I couldnt help overhear that you are looking for help with some problems. I'm currently looking for work and believe I could be of use here."
    He bows to Tankerred and Elias, "I'm known as Orin, would you permit me to join you on your endeavours?"
    Last edited by MLucas; 2012-08-07 at 04:50 PM. Reason: quotes

13. - Top - End - #43

GnomePirate

Elias nods. " My friend is a holy man -- er, dwarf -- and I am at least a passable abjurer. Between us we should be able to find the source of this 'haunting'... and if it is a ghost, to lay the poor soul to rest."
    He glances at Orin. "Well, ah... I think we ought to find out more about this job before any of us signs on," he says, raising an eyebrow. "For one thing, how much does it pay?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking a few steps into the building, Santino see's the Dwarf and two other humans ahead of him, Damnit, I might be too late... he thinks before making his way up to the desk.
    "I saw the sign outside, and was hoping I was still in with a chance of getting a job" he starts, not having heard the conversation properly. One word though seems to have made it through the rush of his brain. Haunted.
    "Ummm... Ghosts aren't really my area of expertise, but I'm sure I could be of some help... If you're still hiring of cause." Santino continues, his expression seeming to droop a little seeing that he may have to content with others for employment.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Orin bows to Elias again, "Please pardon my enthusiasm, I'm just so glad to have found other adventurous souls. Everyone i've met on my travels thus far has hoped for a non-eventful life." He ponders briefly Elias' last words, and frowns slightly "I've never taken money for helping others before, but if that is how things are done here, then I shall endeavour to do my best."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Orin

"I don't think I will object if they don't."

Elias

"Well this is a red-marked job, so typically it would be much higher, but given our current rates of business or lack thereof, I think I can spare 500 gold per individual, up to ten percent in advance."

Santino

"Always happy to have more employees on the job. If you'd like, and there are no objections, you can join these fine gentlemen on their mission. Or, I have a few others here."

17. - Top - End - #47

GnomePirate

Elias addresses Orin. "It strikes me that in this world, most individuals have very little... choice in the eventfulness of their lives. All they can do is be prepared for what gods and princes send their way."
    He returns his attention to the Defendor Investigations representative. "Mercenary work pays better than scribing," he adds, half to himself, "and I can't help anyone if I'm begging in the street." Louder: "Those sound like acceptable terms. Where is this house, and can you give us any more detail on the nature of the haunting?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Elias

"It's been identified as a revenge spirit by the owner of the building, one Chartessa Murals. She claims she doesn't recognize it or know why it's haunting her - until a few weeks ago it didn't exist at all. Or, hadn't appeared, rather.

Though it is interesting to note that for a a vengeance spirit, it seems incredibly benign. For example, Murals is still alive and unharmed. Usually these things will attempt to ah...well be very not-nice to their targets."

19. - Top - End - #49

GnomePirate

"Perhaps she isn't the target of its revenge. You said 'owner of the building' -- does Ms. Murals reside there?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Uregaunt speaks, in Draconic, to the gnome. "Hello. Mt name is Uregaunt. Timms the guard told me you might be able to assist me"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Kath raised an eyebrow at the mention of a ghost. The last time he had encountered ghosts, it was when Captain Orvain's ship had come under attack by a ghost ship. The way they had dealt with the situation was to run the hells away like a troll with its hair caught on fire.

"I've...encountered a ghost or two before," said Kath, weighing his desire for work with his chances of solving a haunting problem. Back in port, they had overheard about how another captain and his crew had found and returned stolen gold to the cove the ghosts had stored it in when they were alive and pirates. This, apparently, had let the ghosts go to rest, but he couldn't say for sure. Maybe if he could figure out why the ghost was haunting the place?

"But I'd be willing to maybe take a look," he said, looking down at the floor. Then he looked back up. "Have you...checked with anyone with maybe a little more...know how in this area? Like a wizard or a priest or something? I know a bow doesn't do much good against the things."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for taking so long to respond
    Thanks to Kymme for my sweet avatar of Bendar Roy, my kick@$$ dwarven rogue.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Kath

"The ah, Baroness doesn't have time for such things."

"He means she's too busy eating roast suckling pig in the city keep to deal with our problems."

"...And the rest of our 'priests' are, frankly, glorified pages. As I was saying to Chartessa, none of the city's resources are up to the task."

"And the only damned wizard around is that gnome! Bahh! I doubt he could tell his brains from his backside!"

"Yes. He's not...stable, really. I fear his solution would be burning the house down. Perhaps an investigation as to what it-"

"Be careful what you suggest. This thing kicked me out of my own home. It needs to be put down."

"Right." He gives you a 'just ignore her' look.

Elias

"Ever since the town was founded, as far as I am aware. She and her late husband built it themselves. The only other residents have been a neice that she put up for a few nights. Mind you, most of this is rumor."

Uregaunt

The gnome stares happily off into space until Orin is fully out the door, then adopts a serious expression. His entire posture changes into 'a lot more sane than a moment ago'.

"Timms? He guards the gate, if I recall. Strange a local would send you to me. But nevermind that." He says, responding likewise in Draconic. "What specifically can I help you with?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Kath assumed the Baroness was some higher up in the church, but she didn't sound like she would be much help. He thought about it for a bit.

"Where are the inns in town?" he asked, looking at the two of them. "Maybe there's someone who can help staying in one of them. For that matter, where's the haunted house?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Kath

The Flaming Dragon's an Inn near the fountain in the town square. It's run by Mortimer Skive. He can be surly, but he's a decent enough fellow. The house itself is-"

"Third house to the left if you go east from the square. It's got beautiful ivies running down the sides. My plants are probably dying now, I haven't watered them since I was evicted by a ghost."

25. - Top - End - #55

GnomePirate

"Very well. One last question: where can I find her? We ought to let her know before we trespass on her property, even with the best intentions."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Kath nodded his head as he listened to their directions, making a note of it. He adjusted the pack on his back. "All right, thank you for the directions. I'll go and see if I can find anything, I suppose," he said, turning to go.

As he walked toward the door, he was thinking whether or not he should ask about payment. He didn't want to seem ungrateful, but he really could use a bath and a hot meal. He turned back around.

"I...don't want to be a bother or to seem ungrateful for the chance for work, but..." he began, but then looking at the woman, he suddenly lost the nerve to ask about payment. "Would...would you mind...sending a message? If you could? I don't know how long it might take me to...remove a ghost...or how long I'll be staying in this town, but I have people waiting for me in Silverymoon. I don't want them to worry."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, he initially sent me here because I have a bit of a communication issue. You see, I'm from Mulhorandi and I don't speak any of the local languages. His Mulhorandi was good enough to bring me here, but not fluent enough to get enough information. I'm new to the Sword Coast area, and I've run into a bit of trouble. I'm all out of coin and looking for work. Timms said the mayor might have a few leads on potential work. I was hoping you might, at the very least, be able to direct me to someone that might be able to assist me with conversation"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Elias

"She has temporary accommodations at the Mayoral office." He pulls out a peice of paper from his sleeve. "This map has places of interest in town marked, said office included. I advise against losing it."

Kath

"We have a few channels of communication open across the semi-local area. I'll see what I can do. Is there anything in particular the message should say?"

Uregaunt

"I can find you a permenant solution if you get a hold of the tongue of a native speaker, though I don't recommend that. As it is, a majority of my services are not cheap, much less free.

That being said, someone in my position can benefit highly from a travelling purveyor of the arcane, especially one in debt, if you understand my meaning."

He holds up a finger. "A favor. To be collected at a later date. I am not as yet sure of what form it will take, nor if it will be simple. But those are my terms." He takes out a ring from under the desk and places it atop, steepling his hands. "Should you choose to accept them."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"I take your point, and I appreciate your directness. I find your terms agreeable overall, if you don't mind my making a slight addendum to the terms. Nothing...unsavory. I've no problem getting my hands dirty, but I don't much care for skullduggery you see. I one day aspire to be a master harp player, if you catch my meaning. Agreed?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Uregaunt

"Ah, morals. I'm getting you like you more by the minute." He passes the ring forward. "Speak the name of the language into the runes. You'll understand and speak it until you need to speak another. Though after ten hours of continuous use it will need to rest, much like yourself.

Was there anything else?"