New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming (Cold Days Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    The car I don't recall ever being explained.

Fixing Little Chicago I think we can infer was a bit of Divine Intervention for Michael/Charity/Molly's sake. Thus either Uriel, another such agent, or Big G directly.
    I have been working under the assumption that it ends up being Harry himself who fixed Little Chicago. I'm pretty sure that Harry will be doing some time travel at some point (there was some Word of Jim to that at some point), and I can see him taking the time to make sure his head doesn't blow up from the ritual. I almost picture it like the bit in the third Harry Potter book, wherein he goes back in time and wants to see who saved him, realizes that no one else has time to, and has to do it himself.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Who rammed the Blue Beetle off the road in Proven Guilty?
    Never been revealed to my knowledge. Only a big, long list of people it's not.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

I was in agreement with the theory that it was Ace trying to mess up the plans of Winter, but after the lack of "It was YOU!" in Cold Days re: that incident I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

OH I KNOW IT WAS FERROVAX.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooo, some fun stuff from a recent signing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bob's personality changes are a result of Harry's changes, not something that happened off screen with NecroBob.

Mab has been Queen for about 1000 years. She had Maeve because things didn't go well for the Lady that was the Lady when she became Queen. And that was the same time there was last a Starborn in the mix.

We have already seen Mother Winter's Walking Stick in the books. He said most people have figured it out. Mother Winter hasn't come to get it because she can't really set foot on Earth without a big danger to reality itself being unable to contain her. omg guys it's the blackstaff

Harry did have his mother's amulet the whole book. Any failure to mention it being removed with the rest of his gear on Demonreach was an oversight not caught in the 15 day turnaround between him turning the book in and it moving on the printing process.

Michael is a wonderful human being, but not a saint. Things might not go so well when Harry explains about Molly. And things might get tense with Maggie. He will also be coming off the bench for the next book.

One of the Swords will get a new wielder in the next book.

Becoming Fae does not lose you your soul. It does however give you lots of time to lose it to the power they have, and the choices they make in that time.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Michael is a wonderful human being, but not a saint. Things might not go so well when Harry explains about Molly. And things might get tense with Maggie. He will also be coming off the bench for the next book.

One of the Swords will get a new wielder in the next book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn. This is gonna get real.

A new Sword wielder AND Michael coming back? This is gonna be interesting. Considering that the book's probably gonna deal with the Denarians, I'd expect Michael to be there in one way or another, but I kinda wanna see what'll go down.

So long as he doesn't pick up a Denarian, I think we'll be fine.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh and the next book is called Skin Game. That screams "White court" to me, and with a sword in the mix, maybe Thomas will end up being a knight after all.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Colossus in the Playground

Ooh. Nagloshii.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, found the WOJ on Skin Game
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, the next novel in the Dresden Files is called Skin Game, it’s a heist. Mab goes to Harry and says, “You have to help this guy steal something”. And the person they’re ripping it off from is the lord of the underworld, Hades, who has re-purposed Daedalus’ labyrinth as his, kind of as his personal safe. So Harry and Nicodemus are off to rip off the lord of hell. We’ll see how that goes.

Sounds fun!

9. - Top - End - #699
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show

One's a wizardly Winter Knight with a heart of gold and a magic talking skull. One's a host to an evil Fallen Angel with near-invulnerability and impeccable fashion sense. They Fight Crime steal stuff from Hades?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-02-02 at 06:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #700

All things considered, It would be a pretty awesome team-up. I mean, sure, they're both on opposite sides and stuff, but when you seriously get down to it, they'd be kickass allies.

Also, I hope we get an answer to the whole parasite shtick in that book.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, if the parasite is Lash we ought to hear about it in a Denarian book. I hope. I also hope the parasite is Lash. We know she only exists in Harry's head, and we know she is going to fight Lashiel in a later book, possibly even Skin Game. I thought Ghost Story might have done something to remove her from Harry's head, and I guess a retcon could make that happen, but it's more likely that she's the parasite and Lashiel was the demon that made Harry off himself. Maybe to get her shadow back???

LOL So the books have gone

Sorcerers
    Werewolves
    Vampires
    Faeries
    Denarians
    Vampires
    Sorcerers (and zombies!)
    Faeries
    Vampires
    Denarians
    Sorcerers (wizards, anyway; human spellcasters)
    Vampires
    Sorcerers (Ghost sorcerers!)
    Faeries
    Denarians

I'm beginning to think there's no pattern after all!

12. - Top - End - #702

I'm pretty sure that it's been all-but-confirmed that the parasite is Lash.

Also, judging from Demonreach's statements at the end of Ghost Story and in Cold Days, we know that it's still around.

I seriously wonder what it'll do, though.

Edit: You know what strikes me as odd?

The fact that Victor Sells, a two-bit sorcerer, was able to whip up a substitute for opening one's Sight. The only other time we've actually seen something close is Rashid's ointment. Granted, the latter isn't a drug or anything, but I'm curious if we'll ever see anything like ThreeEye again.
    Last edited by GenericMook; 2013-02-05 at 07:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, if the parasite is Lash we ought to hear about it in a Denarian book. I hope. I also hope the parasite is Lash. We know she only exists in Harry's head, and we know she is going to fight Lashiel in a later book, possibly even Skin Game. I thought Ghost Story might have done something to remove her from Harry's head, and I guess a retcon could make that happen, but it's more likely that she's the parasite and Lashiel was the demon that made Harry off himself. Maybe to get her shadow back???
    Ehh it raises a question of how since Fallen aren't supposed to be able to act of Earth. We are told point blank the Fallen can't act on Earth. No I don't buy the whole balance thing to cover all of that.

Anyways point being we know a better canidate given the description as a shadow. Who else is a shadow and known to be capable of action... oh right Anduriel aka Nick's demon.

Actually given the coming premise this makes me wonder if Harry was literally set up to become the Winter Knight with this all in mind.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

The part that makes me think Lashiel is more likely than Anduriel is the WoJ that says both Lash and Lashiel appeared in Ghost Story under different names. Who else in Ghost Story could be Lashiel?

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

The part that makes me think Lashiel is more likely than Anduriel is the WoJ that says both Lash and Lashiel appeared in Ghost Story under different names. Who else in Ghost Story could be Lashiel?
    I seem to remember this coming up from before... and disagreeing with the interpretation that he was referring to them separately.

16. - Top - End - #706

Clearly, Lasciel is Sir Stuart!
    Last edited by GenericMook; 2013-02-05 at 08:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

But Soras, we know they're separate, because they have to fight each other.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

But Soras, we know they're separate, because they have to fight each other.
    And what? Being separate doesn't mean that's what the WoJ supported

I was obliquely poking in the hopes you'd go and grab the specific quote again.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Ehh it raises a question of how since Fallen aren't supposed to be able to act of Earth. We are told point blank the Fallen can't act on Earth. No I don't buy the whole balance thing to cover all of that.

Anyways point being we know a better canidate given the description as a shadow. Who else is a shadow and known to be capable of action... oh right Anduriel aka Nick's demon.

Actually given the coming premise this makes me wonder if Harry was literally set up to become the Winter Knight with this all in mind.
    Of course the fallen have some measure of influence: that's what the coins are about after all.

Also, ignoring the fact it could have been a normal demon to whisper, couldn't it have also been some sort of outsider or something? Likely a weak one, but that seems like the sort of thing Outsiders are good at.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

20. - Top - End - #710
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Of course the fallen have some measure of influence: that's what the coins are about after all.

Also, ignoring the fact it could have been a normal demon to whisper, couldn't it have also been some sort of outsider or something? Likely a weak one, but that seems like the sort of thing Outsiders are good at.
    Except Uriel was only able to act in counter to the shadow that whispered to Harry. He's not allowed to act to counter Outsiders, specifically the Fallen. Thus, it had to be a Fallen of some kind.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, was that made explicit? Oh well.

Though...are we actually told flat out that the fallen can't interfere? I thought we knew that the Fallen can, given what happened in Small Favors.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Except Uriel was only able to act in counter to the shadow that whispered to Harry. He's not allowed to act to counter Outsiders, specifically the Fallen. Thus, it had to be a Fallen of some kind.
    Demons were invoked too. Any number of things could whispher in an ear but having the exacting knowledge of humanity to so finely manipulate someone it constitutes a violation of free will. Well they are outsiders for a reason.

And I don't think push comes to shove Uriel is entirely without the ability to act against Outsiders.

Oh, was that made explicit? Oh well.

Though...are we actually told flat out that the fallen can't interfere? I thought we knew that the Fallen can, given what happened in Small Favors.
    When Harry first had the Denarians explained in Book 5 he had earlier talking about the Fallen not being able to act on Earth for reasons unknown but ranging from advanced magical ressonance to "because God said so" thus could not turn people into giant bears...and was very very scared these ones could.

Nominally though that bar still holds. If its still to be taken seriously as a restrciton I don't think "because Angel will balance it" would be nearly enough to maintain it myself. Not for entities that are peers.

(Why Denarians at all then, likely because humans made the coins out of Judas' silver)

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we already know that what was said in book 5 had to be either wrong or simplistic, given Satan himself apparently involved himself in Small Favors, and was balanced out by Uriel.
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #714
    Banned

So we know that all beings other than mortals must act according to their nature, with little free will or choice.

Lash came into existence out of Lashiel because of Harry contaminating her. Is it perhaps possible for a mortal to contaminate other beings?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMook View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it's been all-but-confirmed that the parasite is Lash.

Also, judging from Demonreach's statements at the end of Ghost Story and in Cold Days, we know that it's still around.

I seriously wonder what it'll do, though.

Edit: You know what strikes me as odd?

The fact that Victor Sells, a two-bit sorcerer, was able to whip up a substitute for opening one's Sight. The only other time we've actually seen something close is Rashid's ointment. Granted, the latter isn't a drug or anything, but I'm curious if we'll ever see anything like ThreeEye again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were vague references to the theory that a wizards power comes from his ability to sense magic. So wizards are really the strongest spellcasters because they have the best magic senses. The best of which is the Sight. Now what if you could magically grant people those senses...
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #716

Well, we already know that what was said in book 5 had to be either wrong or simplistic, given Satan himself apparently involved himself in Small Favors, and was balanced out by Uriel.
    That kinda makes you wonder how much of an impact the whole thing about Harry getting soulfire really has.

Also, I'm pretty sure we get all our knowledge about the Fallen's ability to exercise influence from one of the Knights in book 5. Unless they got the knowledge directly from an angel, it's quite likely either incorrect or not wholly accurate.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Considering the reactions of those who know besides Bob, I think it is safe to say it is a big deal.
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Fun theory about Lasciel here.

I can't find the Lash vs. Lasciel quote. I might have dreamed that one up. But we do know that the two are completely separate.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 Chicago signing
    Also keep in mind that Lasciel is NOT Lash; Lasciel did not reabsorb the entity that Harry actually changed.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Its interesting but badly out of date now as a theory given that we know something is in Harry's head. Even at the time I'd point that

I can't find the Lash vs. Lasciel quote. I might have dreamed that one up. But we do know that the two are completely separate.
    Oh I'm totally not disputing that.

30. - Top - End - #720

Chimera

So, I've (finally!) marathoned Changes-Ghost Story-Cold Days.

Made my weekend . Its freakin' awesome.